Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1084362 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #10740 on: July 18, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
International community: please send help

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10741 on: July 18, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
Nah

:piss :american :piss2

:maduro
(ice)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10742 on: July 18, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
think of the international community apathy as the recommended course of action to preserve democracy as advocated by a think tank with a themed name and substantial backing
a sort of non-interventional intervention

Himu

« Reply #10743 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »
went to mexican grocery store for groceries. Lady at the register didn't have her nose covered. Lady in line forgets to buy something, turns out she's not wearing a mask. The front door at the grocery store said every patron had to wear masks. No hassle from the cashier. I stayed where I was so I didn't have to stand where the maskless lady was and gave cash so I wouldn't have to touch the card reader. I said to keep the change and walked out fast. Don't want to risk sitting where someone without a mask was for more than 2 seconds.

So tired of the silliness, either not wearing a mask right or full on going into a grocery store without a mask and the staff doesn't give a shit.

God fucking dammit.
IYKYK

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #10745 on: July 18, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »

Himu

« Reply #10746 on: July 18, 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
Yeah, it's proven to cause sterility in men. Become sterile to own the libs!
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #10747 on: July 18, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »
what's the opposite of breed them out?  :lol

Himu

« Reply #10748 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
I'd say that hopefully more conservatives catch it so they procreate less  :doge but that's too mean spirited.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10749 on: July 18, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »
went to mexican grocery store for groceries. Lady at the register didn't have her nose covered. Lady in line forgets to buy something, turns out she's not wearing a mask. The front door at the grocery store said every patron had to wear masks. No hassle from the cashier. I stayed where I was so I didn't have to stand where the maskless lady was and gave cash so I wouldn't have to touch the card reader. I said to keep the change and walked out fast. Don't want to risk sitting where someone without a mask was for more than 2 seconds.

So tired of the silliness, either not wearing a mask right or full on going into a grocery store without a mask and the staff doesn't give a shit.

God fucking dammit.

Maybe they meant every boss :rollsafe

4 in 5 Texas are living in a Covid Red Zone. I'm not fucking playing around. I was quiet because if I told her to put on a fucking mask I was scared she'd get in my face with her Dumbass Cooties and I don't know where she's been.

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1284542290933972992

Only a fuck months until I leave this state.
IYKYK

Tripon

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10752 on: July 18, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »
speaking to a friend managing a lab where they're doing a lot of covid research was p spooky. hadn't really thought about the long term effects for survivors outside of how it shreds your lungs. apparently that could just be the tip of the iceberg
◕‿◕

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10753 on: July 18, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
Trump administration pushing to block new money for testing, tracing and CDC in upcoming coronavirus relief bill

The Trump administration is trying to block billions of dollars for states to conduct testing and contact tracing in the upcoming coronavirus relief bill, people involved in the talks said Saturday.

The administration is also trying to block billions of dollars that GOP senators want to allocate for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and billions more for the Pentagon and State Department to address the pandemic at home and abroad, the people said.

The administration’s posture has angered some GOP senators, the officials said, and some lawmakers are trying to push back and ensure that the money stays in the bill. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to reveal confidential deliberations, cautioned that the talks were fluid and the numbers were in flux.

The negotiations center around a bill Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is preparing to unveil this coming week as part of negotiations with Democrats on what will likely be the last major coronavirus relief bill before the November election.

The administration is also seeking to zero out $10 billion in new funding for the CDC in the upcoming bill, while slashing spending for the Pentagon and State Department related to foreign aid, the person said. Trump has been skeptical of State Department spending and foreign aid generally, but it was unclear why the Trump administration would seek to block money for the Pentagon for a variety of coronavirus-related expenses such as reimbursing contractors for providing paid leave to employees.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10754 on: July 18, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
Why?  :mindblown

shosta

« Reply #10755 on: July 18, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »
Damn that's just suicidally dumb
每天生气

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10756 on: July 18, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »
It's horrible but it does seem logical. I'm guessing he wants to delay the rise in confirmed cases until at least after the election, or inauguration if he expects to lose.

Trump can't walk back his opinion on mail-in voting at this point so he's probably afraid that republicans won't vote at all if it's not safe to do it in person.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10757 on: July 18, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
Remember when he said he asked his people to slow down testing because it was making the numbers look bad, and a bunch of supporters (as well as some nonpartisan media people) said he was joking? Then he clarified that he wasn't joking and repeated the talking point multiple times over the next month?

ha ha ha

shosta

« Reply #10758 on: July 18, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
It's horrible but it does seem logical.
this has nothing to do with you but I got whiplash reading this sentence because it looked like a sentence someone in here used to say a lot. "There's a certain sense to it..."
每天生气

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10760 on: July 18, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

If COVID causes vascular damage like a lot of the anecdotal reports say, I guess some level of ED would make sense. Not sure about the mini taters though.
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10761 on: July 18, 2020, 09:42:21 PM »
Knowing your sister, it's definitely herpes. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry.  Hope she is OK.
[close]

Because I don't want more herpes.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10762 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:01 PM »
My boss just shared this.

:doge
©@©™

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10763 on: July 18, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
To be fair, it worked for ebola
:O

Tripon

« Reply #10764 on: July 18, 2020, 10:37:47 PM »
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/07/17/roseville-urination-verizon-arrest/

ROSEVILLE (CBS13) — We’ve seen a lot of confrontations involving masks, including verbal fights, physical altercations and even coughing fits. But this one might top it all when a regular day at work turned into quite a show at the Verizon store off Galleria Boulevard in Roseville.

In a 911 call, you hear a dispatch operator tell an officer three people are “refusing to leave, not wearing a mask… they’ve asked several times and she refuses.”

About three minutes later the operator tells the officer, “They’re calling back and advising that that female is pulling down her pants and is now urinating inside the business.”

“Absolutely not. That’s totally inappropriate. We’re not animals,” said Michelle Davidson.

Roseville Police got to the scene and confirmed the incident to CBS13. Spokesperson Rob Baquera says officers arrested the woman after finding several stolen items from a nearby Dick’s Sporting Goods store in her vehicle.

“I don’t really have much to say except that’s probably not the right way to react to it. Simply wear the mask or leave I guess,” said Kelly Berger.

“I’m very disappointed that we as a society choose to have this unity and let the virus divide us,” said Davidson.

Verizon spokesperson Heidi Flato says the company is requiring all customers to wear masks in their stores. Flato told CBS13 the incident wasn’t just about the company’s mask policy but wouldn’t comment further about what happened.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

shosta

« Reply #10766 on: July 18, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Yup... That's my hometown. Karen central :mjcry
每天生气

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10767 on: July 18, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »

We got Glen boys.

Real shosta is from Sacramento Valley
:O

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10768 on: July 18, 2020, 11:49:53 PM »

We got Glen boys.

Real shosta is from Sacramento Valley

Ah shit you done fuck up son

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10770 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:59 AM »
Joe, show your boss this story. Maybe he'll wear a mask.

Himu

« Reply #10771 on: July 19, 2020, 03:28:26 AM »
speaking to a friend managing a lab where they're doing a lot of covid research was p spooky. hadn't really thought about the long term effects for survivors outside of how it shreds your lungs. apparently that could just be the tip of the iceberg

It damages your heart as well. In italy half of survivors had heart damage. Then there's brain stuff too.

Basically, don't get Covid.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #10772 on: July 19, 2020, 05:22:29 AM »
my mom tells me me all my cousins have recovered. hopefully there's no long term issues.

Pennywise

« Reply #10773 on: July 19, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »
https://twitter.com/ric_govea/status/1284675648175271936?

Disgusting behaviour.

Butchering german words like that.
[close]
:doge

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10774 on: July 19, 2020, 05:53:44 AM »
my mom tells me me all my cousins have recovered. hopefully there's no long term issues.

Small peepees tho  :goldberg
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10775 on: July 19, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »
Look on the bright side America, at least the rona has solved the school shootings problem :trumps
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #10776 on: July 19, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »

Incompetence and Errors in Reasoning Around Face Covering
SIX ERRORS: 1) missing the compounding effects of masks, 2) missing the nonlinearity of the probability of infection to viral exposures, 3) missing absence of evidence (of benefits of mask wearing) for evidence of absence (of benefits of mask wearing), 4) missing the point that people do not need governments to produce facial covering: they can make their own, 5) missing the compounding effects of statistical signals, 6) ignoring the Non-Aggression Principle by pseudolibertarians (masks are also to protect others from you; it’s a multiplicative process: every person you infect will infect others).

Let us say (to simplify) that masks reduce both transmission and reception to p. What effect on the R0(that is, the rate of spreading of the infection)?
Simply the naive approach (used by the CDC/WHO bureaucrats and other imbeciles) is to say if masks reduce the transmission probability to ¼, one would think it would then drop from, say R0= 5, to R0=1 ¼. Yuuge, but there is better.
For one should count both sides. Under our simplification, with p=1/4 we get R0'= p² R0 . The drop in R becomes 93.75%! You divide R by 16! Even with masks working at 50% we get a 75% drop in R0.

Second error: Missing the Nonlinearity of the Risk of Infection
The error is to think that if I reduce the exposure to the virus by, say, ½, I would then reduce the risk, expressed as probability of infection, by ½ as well. Not quite.
Now consider (Fig 1) that probability must follow a nonlinear dose-response, an “S curve”. In the convex part of the curve, gains are disproportionately large: a reduction of x% of viral exposure leads to a drop of much more than x in risk of infection. And, patently we are in the convex part of the curve. For example, to use the case above, a reduction of viral load by 75% for a short exposure could reduce the probability of infection by 95% or more!
etc

https://medium.com/incerto/the-masks-masquerade-7de897b517b7

Tripon

« Reply #10777 on: July 19, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
Only because there weren't kids in school for the past 4 months. Let's see how things go when schools open back up before we celebrate solving that problem.

Schools have not thought how to do safety drills in a middle of a pandemic. What I mean is that how the ideas that you have to keep students in one classroom not to interact with each other, socially distant, while doing drills that require you as a school to all leave together and wait in an open field until the drill is over. Now you have to do it twice, and with a time crunch because if you have a hybrid model, your teaching instruction is cut in half. And you have to make sure people aren't interacting.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10779 on: July 19, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »
 :picard

zomgee

• We've *all*
rub

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #10781 on: July 19, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »
People not wearing a face mask are the same ones that would have turned jews in during the war or worked together with the germans "to keep the economy going".

Also oddly the same ones that say they hate facist and would die to protect jews probably.

Tripon

« Reply #10782 on: July 19, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
Only because there weren't kids in school for the past 4 months. Let's see how things go when schools open back up before we celebrate solving that problem.

Schools have not thought how to do safety drills in a middle of a pandemic. What I mean is that how the ideas that you have to keep students in one classroom not to interact with each other, socially distant, while doing drills that require you as a school to all leave together and wait in an open field until the drill is over. Now you have to do it twice, and with a time crunch because if you have a hybrid model, your teaching instruction is cut in half. And you have to make sure people aren't interacting.

For some reason I don't think they're going to give a shit about social distancing in an active shooter event, breh

They will afterwards when they get slammed in a report on what went wrong if an event actually occurs. Yes, shit happens, you think a bureaucrat is going to care that you aren't able to check off each box in a highly stressful situation? 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #10783 on: July 19, 2020, 01:17:08 PM »
Ontario and Quebec each with over 160 new cases (two days in a row for Ontario). Alberta isn't going to report weekend cases until Monday.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10784 on: July 19, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/dr-birx-told-trump-april-coronavirus-was-going-away-nyt-2020-7

Dr Deborah Birx, the chief medical officer on the White House coronavirus task force, told Trump administration officials in April that the virus would likely soon go away, reported The New York Times on Saturday.

her model-based assessment nonetheless failed to account for a vital variable: how Mr. Trump’s rush to urge a return to normal would help undercut the social distancing and other measures

Birx has reportedly assumed control of the day to day running of the task force, CNN reported on Friday, as Trump’s relationship with Fauci continues to deteriorate.

:existential
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10785 on: July 19, 2020, 05:38:54 PM »

For some reason I don't think they're going to give a shit about social distancing in an active shooter event, breh

The only way to stop bad guys with a virus is more good guys with viruses. They can't infect us all people !
ὕβρις

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #10786 on: July 19, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
Meanwhile footballers in Denmark after winning a match...

https://twitter.com/steingum1/status/1284948246729830401

Cant wait for him to be tested positive.

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Tripon

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10790 on: July 19, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10793 on: July 20, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10794 on: July 20, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
Bill Burr's podcast today: "We couldn't even convert over to the metric system when we tried. It should've been a sign that we'd screw this up, too".

Oblivion

« Reply #10796 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
does anyone know if you have to re-open an UE while you were already receiving UE, if you'll receive backpay for the weeks you missed?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10797 on: July 20, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
Depends on the state, the details of your situation, and how the particular overwhelmed bureaucrat who gets your case handles it!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10798 on: July 20, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
cool
©@©™

Tripon

« Reply #10799 on: July 20, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
Scores of Russia’s business and political elite have been given early access to an experimental vaccine against Covid-19, according to people familiar with the effort, as the country races to be among the first to develop an inoculation.

Top executives at companies including aluminum giant United Co. Rusal, as well as billionaire tycoons and government officials began getting shots developed by the state-run Gamaleya Institute in Moscow as early as April, the people said. They declined to be identified as the information isn’t public.

The Gamaleya vaccine, financed by the state-run Russian Direct Investment Fund and backed by the Defense Ministry, last week completed a phase 1 trial involving military personnel. The institute hasn’t published results for the study, which involved about 40 people, but has begun the next stage of testing with a larger group.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-20/russian-elite-got-experimental-covid-19-vaccine-from-april