Author Topic: NieR Thread - New Mobile Game, Platinum Remake/Sequel(?) of Replicant, and moar  (Read 6419 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
So that's the power of the ultimate weapon  :o

Yoko Taro said Facade was based on Japan in a recent interview, makes me wonder what the other villages are based on.  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

I finally sat down and finished the last part of Nier raid in FF14 that came out mid-April. It's pretty crazy how it's full of Nier Replicant, Nier Automata and Drakengard references. Very satisfying as a Nier fan.

The final boss track combines Drakengard ending E's bell tolls with Kaine's song and FF4's prelude.

And in the fight

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're fighting in a Drakengard Tokyo environment where the boss throws Square Enix HQ's building at you and you're repelling the sound vibrations from Drakengard's final boss.

[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
That's a great arrangement  :whew
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Completed the game and got Ending A

One mindfuck and a half  :doge
🤴

Is Replicant worth picking up and playing again if I played the original Nier back in the day? How much did they add?
野球

Bebpo

Is Replicant worth picking up and playing again if I played the original Nier back in the day? How much did they add?

Graphics, combat, 1 sidequest, slightly arranged music.

Also brother nier is a slightly different experience than papa nier.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
What about the new boss fight and the new ending?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Jesus the second run is even more fucked up than the first  :doge

I also found
daddy Nier
[close]
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
Moved into a new place and had my computer but no keyboard so I figured I’d try and get the fourth ending. Was going great until
I got to the point where I needed to delete my saves which requires you to enter the name of the save. Of course this port is low effort so it doesn’t have a built in keyboard. I couldn’t advance so I’ll need to replay the ending one more time  :fbm
[close]

I really like the game overall, but once I get ending 5 I never want to touch it again.

Bebpo

Wait, what? Why do you need a keyboard to type the name of the save. It's just whatever you called the main character...

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Wait, what? Why do you need a keyboard to type the name of the save. It's just whatever you called the main character...

That’s what I meant, there’s just no way to enter it on PC without a keyboard. I assume on consoles it just uses the keyboard from the OS.

Bebpo

You’re on a pc but don’t have a keyboard?

Still confused

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Like I said I’m in the middle of a move so I had my desktop, but I forgot my keyboard at the my old place. I had a mouse so I was able to log in and turn on steam and then connect a controller to it. It’s a minor inconvenience, I just wish I had known beforehand so I didn’t waste an hour playing it.

Bebpo

Yeah, that sucks. Bad timing for sure.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I've never used an onscreen keyboard on Windows, but that should work so long as you run the game in windowed fullscreen (or even windowed).

Bebpo

The new episode Mermaid section in the main story was pretty meh and pretty noticeable that it wasn't part of the main game from a design perspective. This being forced into the main story is probably the single negative I have about the remake vs the original since I've grown ok with brother nier.

The boss fight is way too scripted and not fun at all, and long, but mostly it's a filler story that drags the pacing down between The Aerie Pt.2 & Facade Pt.2. I thought it was a new optional sidequest, which would've been better. Didn't realize it's a new section of the main story.

It's not something terrible and is like 30-45 mins or something, but I still sorta consider Nier's story campaign pretty close to perfect and its holding up great replaying it now, and now it has this one dragging section. The boss fight is just sooo bad.

Also I guess it can fail a sidequest too?

If you didn't do the boat couple sidequest in pt.2 I'd imagine that becomes uncompletable since he's dead?

Luckily even though I've only done a few pt.2 sidequests so far, that was one of them.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
That wasn't in the original?
Probably some cut content or something because it seemed seamlessly integrated into the story.
🤴

Bebpo

Yeah, it was cut content.

I'm at the final dungeon and wrapping up the sidequests in Pt.2 to get to 100% quest completion. Doing all the non-grindy ones first. Just finished up the fishing questline entirely. Fishing wasn't too bad, I enjoy fishing mini-games. Looks like there's gonna be about 5-10 junk heap grind quests left.

Also I never paid attention to how crossbreed gardening works and seeds and now I need to grow 10 pink moonflower seeds and boy does that look like a pain in the ass. Probably gonna be the most difficult quest!

Will be nice when all the sidequests are done. Since I'll have all the weapons outside the 3 from the world of recycled vessel, I should be able to do that and then just speedrun endings B/C/D in a day or two and then do the new Kaine E content. I think basically everything after beating Ending A should just take about 10 hours max since I'm getting the bulk of everything time consuming done this run which will probably end up close to 30 hours (I think I'm ~22 hours now, so might be less).

I could go for a 100% achievements run, getting the white flower from that point isn't going to be tough and getting the 3 rare fish isn't going to be bad.

But upgrading all weapons and getting all words is going to be hell on earth, so I think I'll pass.

Bebpo

Howlongtobeat has all endings + sidequests as ~41 hours which sounds about right.

And ~70 hours for 100% achievements. So 30 hours of mat grinding...yeah, no fun.

Bebpo

Also these sidequests that keep taking you back to the lost shrine are a pain in the butt in part 2.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
You mean the sidequests the game itself calls out as being shit?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
"I need striped fruit but I can't tell you what it is because of our rules"

"A yes Melons, that'll be 2000 gold please"

"Thank you for the melons, here's 50 gold"  :beli

"We need 20 goat hides"

*goat population: 6*

*goat hide drop rate: 0.4%*

:beli
🤴

Bebpo

You mean the sidequests the game itself calls out as being shit?

Yeah, I'm the one who said earlier in this thread the sidequests are purposely terrible as a troll!

I skipped them in my original playthrough, and I will skip them every playthrough going forward for the rest of my life. But since Nier is one of my favorite games of all time I figure I might as well do them all this run to see them.

Plus there's actually a lot of great dialogue between the cast during these sidequests. It's enough that it actually contributions to a large percentage of their character development in the overall game. I like the main cast even more this run. It's just too bad the quests themselves are awful tedious timewasters.

Pretty sure I skipped all the sidequests in Automata because of how bad these ones were, but apparently the ones in Automata were actually good? Maybe that's another reason I didn't like Automata that much coming from the original. On my Automata replay I'll do all the sidequests.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The ones in Automata were usually confined to a specific area, actually connected to the main plot or rewarded you with some nice stuff.

Of course it had a couple Yoko Taro quests but it wasn't 99% of them.
🤴

Bebpo

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
just started automata for the first time today. enjoying it so far.

Bebpo

Finished 70/71 sidequests, just waiting for my last set of pink moonflower seeds which will be ready around 5pm PST tomorrow. Then DONE. All weapons too outside the one you get from Ending B and the 3 from the DLC dungeon. Ready to turn in my seeds and clear run A tomorrow and start on route B/C/D/E. ~28 hours.

I'm kinda surprised after all the grinding and stuff I only have 46% of the word drops. Thought I'd at least hit the 50% trophy. Probably will through the other route runs, but doubt I'll get much more than that. I wonder how you get the rest.

You know, there are like a dozen or so actually good sidequests in Nier Replicant. Ones that develop the characters or the world in a substantial way and are good stories. But then there are ones were some guy literally says "hey, can you get me 10x of item A, 10x of item B, 10x of item C" and after 30-45 mins of grinding you go back and they just go "cool, thanks" and quest is complete  :-X

Bebpo

Booyah

*Not even an achievement/trophy for this

Time to go finish the game.

Bebpo

Almost got through Route B in one sitting. It's one thing I always liked about Nier. You can speedrun playthroughs after the first really fast if you aren't messing around doing other stuff.

Spent some time farming some mats to fully upgrade my Phoenix Spear and a 2H sword. Still haven't tried the World of Recycled Vessel yet. Might do it before the final dungeon in Route B, or at the start of Route C/D since I don't need the 3 weapons from it until that run anyhow.

Game is still holding up really well. Route B is just as good as I remember it being.

Bebpo

Almost done with Route B run in Nier,

and yeah, even on Route B, the new seafront pt.2 thing, while being not 4/10 terrible, is pretty weak and overall brings down the quality of the narrative. It really feels to me like modern writing that can't catch the spark of the original. Like the whole point of Route B is

you are sympathetic towards the shades. Like POOR LITTLE BEEBPY THE ROBOT and Wolves stuff is pretty depressing. But like LITTLE GIRL THAT EATS THE TOWNSFOLK TO TRY TO BE HUMAN is sorta like...nah, she can fuck off and die.

Also there are so many (LOADING) - cutscene - (LOADING) pauses every time it cuts to the postman and the girl which is way too much for saying so little. Between that and the boat being very much not fun to navigate on 2nd try and the boss fight literally being 100% scripted where you can't do anything until the dialogues play out (there's essentially zero gameplay in this boss fight)...
[close]

I still think this section is pretty mehtastic whereas all the other scenarios are fantastic. I think it brings the game down but at least it's only like an hour of it total. Wish you could like turn it off to get the original narrative experience. It does make sense that this was cut content because its weird every other location has a pt.2 except Seafront, but it's just not good content.

I fully upgraded my phoenix spear, so I have a fully upgraded spear, heavy sword, sword. Gonna do the World of Recycled Vessel now before doing the final dungeon in Route B. That way my Route C/D run is just a pure skip cutscenes speedrun since I have everything I need and I've seen everything until the final boss.

Bebpo

Facade pt.2 stuff and mask people still the best part of the game, especially route B.
Though I like Forest of Myth a lot.

Did World of Recycled Vessel. Was kinda fun. Some rooms go on to long, but it's the first & only real spot in the game that really takes advantage of the improved combat. The first person shooter bit in Door 2 was kinda interesting too, plus all the music remixes.

On route C/D now and playing it with Japanese VA and Automata ost just to mix it up while I speedrun to the final boss. Japanese Weiss sucks. Also Emil is a girl.

Oh and I tried out all the costumes. Samurai Emil made me :rofl fucking hilarious

Bebpo

I got to the new Kaine stuff in Route E last night. Probably do it today and be completely done.

I gotta say the remake, while being great for many reasons and more accessible, also made the game more tedious than the original. The runs are longer because of the new seafront addition, and in the original there was only 1 filler run since Route B run has constant new stuff. Even the Route C/D run has a few new cutscenes (very, very few).

But replaying Route E from the start, at lvl.1 doing shit damage and not having your boar mount...ugh. Even speedrunning and skipping cutscenes was about an hour and 45 mins to get to the new content, and unlike Routes B/C/D which are still kinda fun to replay since it's NG+ and you have all your stats and weapons and magics, these almost 2 hours just felt like work.

Still, hey, actual new real content now. Will be interesting to see how this compares. Hopefully it's a lot better than the Seafront story they added.

Bebpo

Well the new Kaine route E was a bunch of nonsense. Nice art direction out of Automata though.

Definitely not worth the effort for C/D/E. Just go A/B and youtube the rest and you have an almost perfect game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

The mobile game looks pretty good
🤴

Bebpo

Yeah, hopefully not endless gatcha stuff.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
:anhuld

Publisher Square Enix and developer PlatinumGames will release the promised upgrade patch for the Steam version of NieR: Automata on July 15, the companies announced.

Get the patch notes below.
    Changes

Borderless Video Settings – Borderless video settings have been implemented.
        Fidelity FX – A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.
        HDR – The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.
        Anti-Aliasing – Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality
        User Interface Textures (4K) – Approximately 270 user interface textures for icons, backdrops, user interface elements, etc. now support 4K resolutions.
        Cutscenes – The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cutscenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60 frames per second and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.
        Global Illumination – A new “Global Illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels: High, Medium, or Low.
        Ambient Occlusion / Bloom – The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.

Bug Fixes

It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
        The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
        The frame rate has been stabilized at 60 frames per second under default settings.
        Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.

NieR: Automata is available now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store.

ど助平

Bebpo

hahaha

the product of review bombing

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
hahaha

the product of review bombing

Does that even address all the issues?  If not, outlook looking good for continued review bombing!
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I'm not fond of review bombing, but SQEX launching a PC game without letting users take advantage of their setup is pretty short-sighted.