Author Topic: NieR Thread - New Mobile Game, Platinum Remake/Sequel(?) of Replicant, and moar  (Read 6466 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
i thought automata was a cool enough game, but I admittedly couldn't be bothered to do the second run and evidently missed out on the hot stuff :trumps
Yeah i almost gave up on route B too, and there's some cool stuff after that.
Still, route B should be really cut in half at the very least.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
I did the first little bit of it and didn't like the idea of doing the exact same thing again, just with a character not as fun to play as
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Played about 3 to 4 hours of Replicant, up until Seafront now.

I like it so far but it's a slower burn than Nier Automata which puts you right in the action with an action packed tutorial and giant robots.
This game is less ambitious, shall we say more classic with quests like 'go hunt 10 sheep'.

So yeah, interesting story so far. Voice acting is well done. Music is godlike. Visuals although 1080p(?) are great on Xbox One X, runs silky smooth.
Not sure how the combat was like in the original but they certainly took a few cues from Platinum Games to make that exciting.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

i bought and downloaded it, not fired it up yet, but 1080p?  :doge :yuck
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I think, it looks a bit on the soft side but I'm not sure. It did enable HDR so that works.
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
It's a slower burn with a lot of impactful moments and revelations throughout, especially the last few hours though. Nier Replicant is about perspective and how one's actions are tied and molded and bound by perspective. Automata is about what you do or feel with the perspective you have, the choices you make, the questions you ask.

Nier Replicant makes you question your own perspective, Nier Automata makes you question perspective in of itself.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:21:46 AM by mormapope »
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Does Replicant fix the issue with missables?
fat

Bebpo

Hopefully Replicant kept the part that made me love the game

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Resident Evil door loading screens in the haunted house.
[close]

That and the

Text adventure at the tree
[close]

were my favorite bits outside the endgame/ending which is really good.

To me Nier felt like a love letter to videogames. There are so many references to classic titles & genres. It makes the videogame nerd in me real happy.

Pissy F Benny

nvm i get it, the environment textures would probably look terrible in 4k/whatever and i doubt they had the budget or man power to sort them out
(ice)

Bebpo

From what I understand there's no native PS5 version because SE doesn't want to spend the money for tech support/certification. Actually making the native PS5 version would take like 1 day most likely, just upping the resolution a bit and calling it a day. Maybe another few days adding dual sense rumbles if they want.

SE is really fucking weird. They're extremely penny pinching cheap even though they're a big studio. They'll keep series like Nier alive because it sorta sells "ok" for its budget, but they'll refuse to give it any more budget because they don't want to take any risk at all. Which is how we get shitty ports and no PS5 versions.

I think Automata sold like 2.5 million copies or something? And this is the SE that thought 2.5 million sold for Tomb Raider was a failure and Hitman 1's millions were a failure, etc...

They want to only have big AAA games that sell 5-10 million+ each, but they'll still greenlight smaller stuff and just give it no budget and leave it to die. TWEWY2's budget looks pretty low too as another example. Still glad these games exist vs not existing, but it's frustrating that SE is so goddamn cheap and won't give these games more budget.

Pissy F Benny

Automata shipped 5.5 million according to this article (theres no link to back up the claim and I tend to disregard pieces titled like this because fuck click bait, but w/e)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-20-why-nier-matters
(ice)

Bebpo

Yeah, that's a lot. And after all that how many years later we finally get a single PC patch of Automata, a mobile game that still isn't even out in English and no current gen Replicant and a shoddy PC version.

Oh and there's still no new Nier game announced (though assuredly in development).

I don't hate SE because I like their games, but this is very annoying.

Pissy F Benny

I imagine they're probably still reeling from apparent the failure(?) of the avengers game to be green lighting new shid etc.

I might be wrong but they're the pub who seems to overreact most to their hits and misses
(ice)

Tasty

From what I understand there's no native PS5 version because SE doesn't want to spend the money for tech support/certification. Actually making the native PS5 version would take like 1 day most likely, just upping the resolution a bit and calling it a day. Maybe another few days adding dual sense rumbles if they want.

SE is really fucking weird. They're extremely penny pinching cheap even though they're a big studio. They'll keep series like Nier alive because it sorta sells "ok" for its budget, but they'll refuse to give it any more budget because they don't want to take any risk at all. Which is how we get shitty ports and no PS5 versions.

I think Automata sold like 2.5 million copies or something? And this is the SE that thought 2.5 million sold for Tomb Raider was a failure and Hitman 1's millions were a failure, etc...

They want to only have big AAA games that sell 5-10 million+ each, but they'll still greenlight smaller stuff and just give it no budget and leave it to die. TWEWY2's budget looks pretty low too as another example. Still glad these games exist vs not existing, but it's frustrating that SE is so goddamn cheap and won't give these games more budget.

Listen, Balan Wonderworld isn't gonna write itself down.

Tasty

I might be wrong but they're the pub who seems to overreact most to their hits and misses

They straight up told Naka he'd never make another platformer again if Balan failed lmao

I mean, probably smart in hindsight, but it makes me think you're right. :lol

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
A shame the PC port seems like a mess, kind of wanted to play this

Beezy

Listen, Balan Wonderworld isn't gonna write itself down.
I didn't even realize that this game came out. It must be terrible.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Nier Automata not having sequel news might have something to do with Platinum Games seemingly not being involved anymore.
The number of developers who can make such a game is quite small.

it also saved PG so Square Enix probably got it at a bargain.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 08:05:54 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

It seems fine if you use the special K mod fix.

Bebpo

So apparently SE are just starting to recruit staff for a new Nier project.

Going back to earlier talk, Automata sells 5.5 million copies in 2017 and it takes them four years before they even greenlight and start on a sequel? Wtf SE.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The difference between Nier and other RPG's

Quest: Missing dog

Regular RPG:
"Help my dog is missing!"
"Woah, the dog is under attack by wolves, quickly help him!"
"Oh no the dog is hurt, quickly find some medicine"
"Good job, the dog is back on its feet!"
"The dog has returned to his owner, many thanks traveler here's 500 gold for the trouble and a Bone Sword. Every time you visit this town the dog will greet you with joy"

Witcher:
"I'm sorry Witcher. My brother was killed by the plague. Still, I owe it to him to take good care of his dog. Many thanks!"

Nier:
"Help my dog Max is missing, ouch my back hurts"
"Wait... is that? Yup that's poor Max... guess we'll have to tell the owner his dog won't make it home"
"Oh no, these monsters have come back for seconds!"
"Whew, we beat them, wait what's that in his mouth? Herbs? Seems like the owner would want those"
"Say book, do you think you will die?"
"I never really thought about it"
"We all die some day you know"
"Hey there, where did the dog owner go we have a message for him, he was here a few hours ago"
"You mean grandpa, he just had a heart attack and passed away"
"Oh.... we found his dog... he didn't make it... but he had this in his mouth"
"Thank you... those are... those are the herbs grandpa used for his heart medicine... thanks a lot for bringing these to me. Guess they went to heaven together... here's something for your trouble"
"Dogs really are a mans best friend huh"

*battles through a dungeon*

Regular RPG:
"Come on don't give up, no matter how difficult it gets. You can save the entire world from evil!"

Nier
"Hey kid, you realize this innocent and weak person you're trying to save couldn't possibly have made it through all these battles right? This is entirely pointless"
 :stahp
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Apparently that's not even necessary and you can just go into the nVidia control panel to limit the game to 60 FPS.
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Apparently that's not even necessary and you can just go into the nVidia control panel to limit the game to 60 FPS.

Limiting it to 60 is pretty shitty tbh, and so is having to hex edit the exe to make it work on an ultrawide. Eh. .

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Limiting it to 60 is pretty shitty tbh, and so is having to hex edit the exe to make it work on an ultrawide. Eh. .

The latter I understand not being there (seems to be a thing with a lot of Japanese games), but them not supporting framerates over 60 or not including any options for it in general?  Inexcusable, especially after how bad the Automata port was.
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
I dont understand why it isnt an option in most japanese ports though. How can it be so hard, when it's a hex edit away from working flawlessly. Fucking Japanese devs.  :paul

Pissy F Benny

(ice)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
I will. By waiting until it's cracked, or it's under 10 euros on russian cd key sites  :success

Bebpo

The issue isn't just that the game physics are tied to framerate though and limiting at 60fps fixes it.

From what I read on PC performance there's stuttering and other stuff having to do with the framerate limiting and that's why people recommend using Special K over the control panel.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Glad I'm playing this on powerful next-gen hardware that was designed to bring to life the visions of auteur directors like Yoko Taro....The Xbox Series X. :rejoice
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I can't tell if this
forest "text adventure" dream sequence (which is pretty awesome btw)
[close]
was planned like this or was just a way to cut some corners at the time. :doge
🤴

Bebpo

Nah, was planned. There are a lot of genre throwbacks. And yeah that part is amazing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Nah, was planned. There are a lot of genre throwbacks. And yeah that part is amazing.
I caught a Zelda reference as well.  8)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It's great how this game has a sort of smaller scale world you can memorize and not a giant landscape that always requires map navigation.
Reminds me a lot of OOT in terms of the world lay-out.  :thinking
🤴

Rahxephon91

Yoko Taro's shtick is pretty annoying. I don't find this whole wacky "I don't care" as genuine or even cool.  I don't think I've ever liked this dude since he became a "genius creator".

Sounds like a presumptuous and not at all accurate judge of character on your behalf. If he didn't care (don't even know what that means in this context), he wouldn't be making games any more. He seems like a neurotic person with a goofy sense of humor. He does not consider himself to be an autuer or genius.

What is his shtick, exactly? Having a personality?
Really it’s not an actuate judge of character? You don’t say....

I’m talking about his public persona. You can call wearing an Emile disguise, being purposely obtuse, giving strange dismissive answers, and in general acting eccentric for the sake of it as having a personality. I’ll call it being obnoxious .

I doubt he said that at all during the production of this remake. He doesn’t have to claim to be an auteur to act like this wacky creator whose so off the wall and zany!

And no I haven’t liked a game of his since Drakengard 1.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:30:55 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Just tried playing this on PC and it was totally fine- running it at 1440P and all settings on max.  No framerate issues or stuttering or anything.  Does this not affect everyone?
ど助平

Bebpo

Just tried playing this on PC and it was totally fine- running it at 1440P and all settings on max.  No framerate issues or stuttering or anything.  Does this not affect everyone?

Did you cap your framerate at 60fps?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Did you cap your framerate at 60fps?

Didn't do anything.
ど助平

Bebpo

no idea, one of the issues was if the game went say 120fps it would run at 2x speed. 

It should be a general thing that effects everyone.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Continued to run into more video game references and that makes me wonder if some are less obvious but still references.

Popola sends Yonah a book about a tree in one of the loading screens and she says a sad tree is the worst thing ever, is that a Kirby reference?
[close]

The Resident Evil reference was quite obvious
[close]

Wrapped up about 35% of the quests according to the completion rate. Most side quests have been either a kick in the nuts or a blatant fetch quest though :doge
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I thought it was a reference to The Giving Tree.
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Wrapped up about 35% of the quests according to the completion rate. Most side quests have been either a kick in the nuts or a blatant fetch quest though :doge

This was a thing within the fandom for a reason.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Everything in this game sounds like a pain in the ass but that's kinda the point I guess.
The book openly questions pretty much every side quest. "Why would you do this son?"

And then you forget your flower field for an hour and all the plants die.
At some point the comment is made the "World is rejecting humanity itself" or something like that.
I feel that in some ways this game is actively rejecting the player.  :doge

Is it fun...?, I don't know. It has fun elements but is more like a rabbit hole - the deeper you go the harder it is to get out.
Trying to make connections between weapon stories, characters, dreams, the plot and constant melancholy.
Revisiting areas that gets you a neat 'extra' but not enough to make the trip actually worthwhile.

Now that I have all the Verses I feel like there's a turning point right around the corner.
🤴

Rahxephon91

You are pretty much highlighting why I disliked this game back in 2010. Tedious is exactly how I would describe it.

Bebpo

So I just remembered when I played Nier a bunch of people told me to skip all the sidequests and I did.
Did not find the game tedious at all.

If I'd remembered I would have warned you.

thetylerrob

I always thought the side quests in these games were purposely tedious to poke fun at jrpg side quest design so I never had an issue with those.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Some of the side-stuff is tied to endings, like collecting all the weapons. Don't know if this persist into this version.

Bebpo

Maybe on the ending, for the weapon stories you can just look them up on a database instead of wasting your time.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Some of the side-stuff is tied to endings, like collecting all the weapons. Don't know if this persist into this version.

Yeah, but it's like 4 quests. If you're going for the all achievements you need to do at least 30 quests and I think the fishing one if mandatory for one of the achievements.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I could have had the 1000 if I had known about the point of no return. I actually would have done it for this game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
After the
Time skip
[close]

The game sure picks up pace again.
Was that
Metal Gear?!
[close]
🤴

For those that don't know, the endings are strictly tied to weapon collection, but some of the quests give weapons, which is why it matters.  I don't recall if any of the weapon yielding quests need to be done pre-mid-game-event-of-no-return, but I feel like that wasn't a thing, and it was just some more ancillary ones.  I know that there's a shop that appears in the cliffside village (aery? forgot the name) that sells some weapons at some point, those might have been quest reward missables.  I'm fuzzy on these details, I have yet to boot my copy of the remake.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Oh shit, is this one of those Ending A, B, C, D, E .... things again  :doge
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY

After ending A, new scenes with shades and other characters get added.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Yes, but once you finish it once, the game will start you after the time skip on new games, IIRC.  Which also means you need to make sure you got everything pre-time skip to get all the endings.

The new route E scenario in this game changes things and
you play as Kaine.
[close]
ど助平

Bebpo

IIRC, you only need to beat it twice and then youtube the other endings.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Yay I got fast travel

*use fast travel once*

*Yoko Taro takes away your fast travel*

:dead

Combat has gotten more interesting though.
🤴

Tasty

Edit- Wrong thread.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/yoko-taro-didnt-mean-to-make-nier-sad-on-purpose/1100-6490892/
"Do you think it's cool to make people cry?" is what I came to Yoko Taro with when the interview started over our Zoom call. Of course, it was a cheeky way to let him know that the story of the recent reissue of Nier Replicant had me in my feelings. And with Yoko-san on the other end of the call as a virtual Kermit the Frog avatar that animated as he talked and gestured, how could we take things seriously? But he came back with an earnest answer.

:dead
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
 :gladbron a royal wedding

:stahp
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Tell us about your second run when you get to it. One of my favourite segments happens there.