Author Topic: Sony contracts Corona  (Read 20395 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Sony contracts Corona
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »
wait are you guys trying to tell me a videogame has a shitty story? :titus

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2020, 02:46:12 PM »
That's such a dumb use of "fridging" lol

Yeah, I mean clearly this is more of a "Bury Your Gays" trope.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
Brazilian leaked parts of the game:

https://gfycat.com/silkyinsecurebrontosaurus

/v/ rumored plot
Now Deleted Last of Us 2 Plot Leak which read:

- I am the immediate family member of someone working at Naughty Dog The Last of US 2.

- As you know TLoU2 will be Ellie centered obviously. The stories main driving point is the romance that briefly kindled between Dina and Ellie.

- Ellie and Joel are distant because of Joel being controlling stemming from the decision in TLoU but are starting to try and mend their relationship.

- There is a love triangle of sorts, not exactly a triangle as its just two people who love Dina, being Jesse and Ellie.

- Jesse (asian guy from the trailers) and Dina were a couple. Dina is bisexual.

- When Jesse and Dina are on the outs of their relationship Dina starts to make advances on Ellie.

- Due to Dina being the girl every guy wants and having a history dating men (men being a central driving force in this story) Ellie is cautious and is unsure of how serious Dina is.

- However after several flirtatious gestures Ellie begins to question if Dina really does loves Ellie, and Ellie ultimately begins to fall for her.

- Act 1 concludes with Diana and Ellie sharing an important intimate moment solidifying the relationship played through act 1.

- That is until they are interrupted and attacked by a religious sect called the Seraphites (one of 2 groups we encounter, the other being the WLF).

- Jackson is also attacked.

- Dina is killed in this attack.

- The Seraphites believe they are angels cleansing the wasteland. The old "the end of the world is cause of the sinners" trope.

- Anyone that is not a Seraphite is considered a "wolf" or "enemy to the flock (the Seraphites)". They also refer to themselves as "lambs"

- In the vein of SJW baddies, the Seraphites dont like gays because its a sin.

- This is why all their members are *usually* white males with shaven heads or white women. And the few apostates (traitors) that leave the group tend to be minorities.

- Ellie vows to get revenge on the group.

Jesse joins her (That is Jesse in the trailer grabbing Ellies mouth, not Joel) as he also loved Dina. He is later killed as Ellie watches.

- Ellie goes to her old house.

- Then Joel joins her. Until he dies too.

- In the trailer you can see the Seraphites hanging people. This is because they use the old medieval method called "hanging and quartering"

- They only hang and disembowel former Seraphites. The disembowelment is for traitors or "Apostates".

- On the way to avenge Dina they have to cross through WLF territory.

- The leader of the WLF is Marlenes brother.

- Joel Dies and Ellie questions if her quest for revenge was worth losing Joel who she only recently mended her strained relationship with.

- The Seraphites are all immune

- The cut on the cheek is a test for immunity. An infected knife.

- Flashback happens

- The Mystery woman in the trailer is Ellies mom.

- Ellies mom was looking for a cure

- She has a baby with a man that is immune

- the man is killed for sleeping with a "wolf" or outsider

- Marlene and Anna (Mystery Woman) were friends.

- Anna gives birth to Ellie then had Ellie taken away after being born to get her away from Marlene and the Seraphites.

- Marlene (who is WLF) is then sent to retrieve
Ellie and eventually finds her, using her friendship with Anna to win Ellies trust

- Ellie ends up with Seraphite girlfriend who wont turn when they exchange fluids
[close]

Fridging women. Nice.

Looks like this is true. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
Sounds like a fun movie.

Oh wait, it's a game. :snore

thisismyusername

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
Should've made Uncharted 5, Naughty Dog. :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
i love that shit.  8) :-[

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »
Unsurprisingly, that animation shit they were pushing with that fake vid was, well, fake. Cause damn at that jank for what is supposed to be the most polished game on the market.
What are you referring to? We've seen the game played (and plenty have played it, by now) multiple times.
The animation system it uses, it's not even exclusive to LoU2, For Honor used it already.

thisismyusername

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »
Excuse me, part of the initial leak is right:

Spoilers, ya goofs
[close]

More as this shitty story develops™.

thisismyusername

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2020, 09:27:57 PM »
Here, does the animation look better here?

https://streamable.com/a9z6il

20+ hour day crunch cycles just for arms clipping while climbing and other animation goofs. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »
That's why you let me, the 4channer, root around for you bb. :doge I'm fine with rolling around in the shit, because it's been there since I was a kid. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2020, 10:23:47 PM »
Soyny Bois :smug

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »
TIMU's nicknames are honestly a coin toss tho

Tasty

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
Wait TIMU is a chunner? :uhhh

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
you couldn't tell just from reading his posts?

thisismyusername

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2020, 10:44:01 PM »
:trumps Been there since the Guro days, Andy. Kind of hard to avoid the trash when you've wallowed in it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2020, 10:44:34 PM »
 :woody

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
you couldn't tell just from reading his posts?

Me and 4chan went our separate ways around 2007.

Tasty

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
The last good things 4chan produced:

But like most good things produced from 4chan, it was aped from a much superior 2chan verison.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 10:46:59 PM »
Snoys's Club rhetoric.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:07 PM »
4chan's been in the shitter since that time. But I still mostly go because /v/ (used to) be good. And /tg/ can be good a lot of the time. It's just lately /pol/-level nazi-ism bullshit ("Blacks, in MY MtG? Hang MaRo") infecting them and /tv/ and other niche/non-/b/ boards that has had the site going downhill fast.

/tg/ is ESPECIALLY good (bar the slurs, -chanisms) for discussing niche board-games or less popular roleplaying systems. You can't necessarily get that off reddit. I mean, you sort of *can* but at the same time not at the level that 4chan sort of goes into those.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
i stopped going a year or two after r9k was made, so like 2010?

thisismyusername

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2020, 10:50:29 PM »
post-moot leaving, it's been going downhill. I feel like moot was the last bastion in regards to some "civility" on the boards, but since then /pol/ has been trying to stormfront-ize them.

bluemax

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:54 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/g8rpb7/spoilers_the_last_of_us_2_has_been_leaked_onto/

20+ hour day crunch cycles just for arms clipping while climbing and other animation goofs. :doge

Build is from February... so yeah probably mostly content complete by that point? They spent another month doing bug fixes? Fuck I've lost track of time.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2020, 12:04:18 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/g8rpb7/spoilers_the_last_of_us_2_has_been_leaked_onto/

Build is from February... so yeah probably mostly content complete by that point? They spent another month doing bug fixes? Fuck I've lost track of time.

AFAIK, the game was complete for the original launch, then they delayed it like a week or month for bug-fixes. Then COVID hit and now Sony's put it on "TBD" status.

There's some folks that are thinking it's because they're redoing everything, but at this point? With COVID? With the money dumped into it? With next-gen about to launch this coming year? :doge Like hell that's happening.

It's the same situation with Cyberpunk, but they apparently delayed that due to the original X-box hardware struggling with it.

bluemax

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 12:14:01 AM »
I saw another clip from a March build, so this person leaked a lot. Quite the way to screw yourself out of even more money. I'd say out of a career, but it was probably some burned out tester who doesn't want to do this anymore.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2020, 12:14:53 AM »
Apparently (this is just a theory) it's a Brazilian translator. It's why some of the scenes (like the Joel one) are in Portugese subs.

bluemax

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 12:22:55 AM »
Apparently (this is just a theory) it's a Brazilian translator. It's why some of the scenes (like the Joel one) are in Portugese subs.

Could just be localization QA.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
They have EA-level crunch. But I never heard a bad thing (until recently) about them. Even Henning (who can't publicly state anything) didn't really have anything bad to say about their culture when asked about her being a woman in the industry/crunch/etc back in 2011-2013.

Speaking of Henning: https://imgur.com/gallery/xcA0Y

thisismyusername

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2020, 12:48:52 AM »
I dunno if I'd be fully on board with an interactive dance-scene, but the idea sounds interesting.

I would be fully for a heist game with Drake/crew having to pull it under the noses of an auction house.

bluemax

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2020, 01:22:58 AM »
They have EA-level crunch. But I never heard a bad thing (until recently) about them. Even Henning (who can't publicly state anything) didn't really have anything bad to say about their culture when asked about her being a woman in the industry/crunch/etc back in 2011-2013.

Speaking of Henning: https://imgur.com/gallery/xcA0Y

There was a recent twitter thread by a former animator who said the best animators in the industry won't work at Naughty Dog anymore due to crunch culture etc. I've met people who jumped ship from ND to go to "lesser" companies because it meant better pay and better QoL.

I think a bigger thing is that crunching for 3+ years on a single player game is just... outdated. The industry has diversified to the point where you can have an enjoyable career without destroying your body and mind. Sure you might not get to work on something that is on a billboard, but more and more people are realizing that the cost of being a part of something like that isn't worth it.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2020, 09:42:44 AM »
Naughty Dog, in general now a days, seems to be stuck as Sony's "flagship" studio. Before Uncharted (before Andy and Jason left) they weren't flagship. But now with Uncharted 1 being a AAA PS3 title that showcased their console, they became a part of Sony's "ICE" team that supposedly works on the hardware-side of the graphics pipe-line.

If they were just the "Jak" studio/AA, they'd probably be fine. Bar Druckmann's wanting massive crunch, anyway. :doge

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fhn5g0/jonathan_cooper_former_animator_at_naughty_dog/

"Industry-leading animation."

:yikes

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »
From Reddit:
Isn't it a little ironic to have a game with a very transparent theme about the "Cycle of revenge" ultimately be sabotaged in what seems like an act of vengeance?
:heh
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
Your hate boners for Last of Us are funny to see.  :lol
I get that Sony's fanbase (much like Nintendo's, much like FROM's, much like anything popular) is grating, but are we trying to pretend Naughty Dog doesn't produce well above average graphics/animations? Because you saw some clipping?  ::)

"But it's because they have money and time!" Ok, no shit?  :doge
Same is true for R*, Ubisoft, DICE, and whatever other big studio can afford to hire the best professionals in the industry and a wave of 3rd worlders contractors to create assets, and then have them go on for years of development.

I'll concede that when you hear Druckmann & co. talk about their game, it sounds like they're writing Ivan's Childhood or some shit, when it's just "American Post-Apocalypse Story #9865", but i mean, it's marketing.
They're selling the game (Sony i mean) as a prestige experience, they did the same with Dad of War, trying to spin THE Meathead's franchise, as a thinking man's reflection on fatherhood and masculinity.  :brain

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
animation shit is whatever. i just think "cinematic games" are all boring garbo and the overwhelming praise they get for just being bad movies where you press up for 8 hours is ::) ::) ::)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
animation shit is whatever. i just think "cinematic games" are all boring garbo and the overwhelming praise they get for just being bad movies where you press up for 8 hours is ::) ::) ::)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like Uncharted
:yeshrug
[close]
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2020, 01:27:15 PM »
Fuck naughty dog and snoy for the cinematically shimmy thru some rubble/across a ledge shit that’s in a load of games now, sick of it tbh

(ice)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »
uncharted 2 was dumb fun but also about the most of the concept i could take.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2020, 02:41:25 PM »
I actually enjoy the gameplay in Last of Us.  8)
Shimming and moving boxes is shit, but the encounters are fun.
Uncharted is also a very fun shooter, when it puts you in an arena with some enemies and a larger open arena with lots of jumping around.
Less so when it asks you to platform for 50 minutes, as someone burns your ears with oh so amazing banter (especially the third time through).

But then again, would you defend the bullshit design of something like DMC or Bayonetta, of closing off a circle room with barriers? Meaning you can look past some design blunders because you enjoy other aspects of the game.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:49:46 PM by Don Rumata »

thisismyusername

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
The actual plot.

NO DEMI'S ALLOWED edition
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »
I ain't reading all that (again) shit, but everytime a post-apocalyptic, supposedly realistic story, decides to include "psycho religious group with silly name" it's already crossing statelines into clown country.
No better than Far Cry 5's hillbillies people were making fun of, a couple of years back.

"We are the redeemers, or the prophets, or the coconut-heads, we follow father Matthew or father Matthias, or father Ezekiel, or some other corny bible guy" and then i'm supposed to take them seriously?  :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »
Isn't that all how the shit started with the saviors in the walking dead?

Sort of. Rick was mislead into thinking the crew was smaller than it was. Hence, Negan being alive and killing Glenn.

This is just Abby/kid of an unnamed NPC going for revenge because Joel (wrongly, I should add) murdered everyone because he had fee-fees for his surrogate daughter (who he never gave a shit about for 80% of the game) right at the end.

:piss The Last of Us 1 :piss2 :dancingghanapallbearers The Last of Us 2 :dancingghanpallbearers

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
The actual plot.

[close]

wow really makes u think

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2020, 05:31:06 PM »
lol more like nerd

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2020, 08:35:31 AM »
The actual plot.

[close]

wow really makes u think
They made a "dark sequel" to a postapocalyptic game. :lol

more darker, more profounderer :neo

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Your hate boners for Last of Us are funny to see.  :lol
I get that Sony's fanbase (much like Nintendo's, much like FROM's, much like anything popular) is grating, but are we trying to pretend Naughty Dog doesn't produce well above average graphics/animations? Because you saw some clipping?  ::)

"But it's because they have money and time!" Ok, no shit?  :doge
Same is true for R*, Ubisoft, DICE, and whatever other big studio can afford to hire the best professionals in the industry and a wave of 3rd worlders contractors to create assets, and then have them go on for years of development.

I'll concede that when you hear Druckmann & co. talk about their game, it sounds like they're writing Ivan's Childhood or some shit, when it's just "American Post-Apocalypse Story #9865", but i mean, it's marketing.
They're selling the game (Sony i mean) as a prestige experience, they did the same with Dad of War, trying to spin THE Meathead's franchise, as a thinking man's reflection on fatherhood and masculinity.  :brain

It's precisely because of this that I was surprised that it looked janky to me. I stuck by thinking one of those demos were fake or at the very least an exaggeration of how things work in that game. But I did think the animations look bad seeing most of the clips up to this point, and seeing how the turnover was up to 70% turnover after Uncharted 4 with their lead animator leaving and saying that they hired inexperienced workers to finish the game since ND has a bad reputation among workers it shouldn't be that controversial.

I'll concede that most of what I saw was in clips, not a full game in motion, and that I zeroed in on the bad moments because of the motion matching talk leading up the game, and most of it looks fine.

As for the game itself. I saw all the leaked footage, read a lot of what's going to happen in the game and my take away is obviously the game itself doesn't look like my thing, as it was never going to be and I knew that. But the ideas they have for it's story (emphasis on ideas) sound decent enough to me that I don't know why people are bitching outside of certain aspects, which to me mostly stems from nerd worship of videogame characters more than anything cause everything in there is "sound" for lack of a better term. I'd like to see how the story is executed overall, actually. I'm interested now, more so than I was before I looked at this.

And for the record, my hate isn't towards naughty dog's games as TIMU would tell you that I'm big into Uncharted as well. I just dislike TLOU's fans specifically because my interactions with them were annoying, and makes me realize why people hated OOT and FF7 fans back in the day (me not being young and on board with the praise is probably why I dislike them).

tl;dr

LOL I'm a dork.
I think the story for this game sounds more interesting than the one from the first one, which, as nicely as it was told, on paper was absolutely the most basic Post-Apoc. plot you could imagine.
"traumatized by the loss of his daughter, jaded white man slowly learns to love again, and that life is worth protecting, through a sassy macguffing girl he has to carry across the map, because she's somehow immune".
This one sounds like it's doing something a bit more specific and original (though still operating in the realm of "revenge is a an acid...").

As for the gameplay, i don't get what people have to criticize the game for so much, but i already talked about this pages back (or in some other thread) and i don't want to go over it again- tl; dr: it's a simple but effective story driven stealth-lite game.

But on the fanbase i get it, i had the same acid reflux with the FROM psychos and Bloodborne, i was excited for the game as much as the next guy, and now although i still consider it absolutely good, i can't deny it leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, because i experienced its release through GAF and its obsessed people, and the million "what could Tetris learn from BB" and "After BB i can't enjoy my wife anymore".
Last of Us had kind of the same thing going.

Tasty

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Druckmann actually had them read through the Bad Vibes thread.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
Woah woah woah, please don't leak this information here, it's in bad taste and it hurts hard working ND employees. Please send it to Jason Schreier's DMs instead.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Why are they going transgressive on this? Henry, Portrait of a Zombie Killer ???
Hi

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »
Movies have been portraying violence in uncomfortably "real" ways for decades, so it's not that big of a deal.
Once again, it's mostly being talked about because of marketing.

But i do think their brand of violence is actually closer to a very cinematic, morbid sort of "realism", like Gaspar Noč's, rather than a dry approach, you'd see in some Haneke movie.
And i don't say that as a criticism, either, it's just a different way of portraying violence, but i do find it quite stylized, still.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2020, 10:59:16 PM »
Realistic/disgusting gore = best gore

OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2020, 11:16:21 PM »
Gore like that doesn't really disturb me (though Max Payne 3 is pretty fucked, yeah).
The only times i really flinched at videogame violence, was when shooting people in the first Mafia, and GTA4, because of how they limped away.
Oh, and shooting darts in the heads of people in MGS2's demo.  :-X

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2020, 02:08:20 AM »
Never been one into bones/joints being bent in the wrong direction. So that can make me shudder a little in a game or live action art.

But what does make me visibly cringe and go "gah! Fuck shit fuck!" is Lara Croft being impaled on a stick while going down the river in one of those modern TR games. Christ almighty does that make me go all  :exxy

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2020, 04:59:27 AM »
But what does make me visibly cringe and go "gah! Fuck shit fuck!" is Lara Croft being impaled on a stick while going down the river in one of those modern TR games. Christ almighty does that make me go all  :exxy
I remember that. She tries to grab the spike going through her jaw in a panic. /shudder

The original series had death screams and gruesome noises, but nothing elaborate like that.  Not sure if they would have gone that far, even if they could have.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »
The whole "torture porn" for me is :yeshrug but I do wonder if there's not a certain self-indulgence in how Naughty Dogs does it. Something never mesh very well between gore, Hollywood-like drama standards and the exquisite production values.

I've seen some commentary that ND was trying to address the famous "ludonarrative dissonance" but the fact that by default a TPS will be an action game where you kill in the triple digits of enemies mean I have a hard time reconciling a pseudo-somber intimate drama framing with it. Yeah in TLoU you can stealth a lot of rooms but at a minimum you're still killing a couple of dozens of people... And even beyond that just the pace of encounters, even if you refrain from violence, already push it in this territory.
ὕβρις

Svejk

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2020, 07:06:49 AM »
A game that has cursing, murder, rape, and is considered art....  And yet, Tifa gets crucified for calling Cloud and Barret distinguished mentally-challenged fellows back in 1997 ...  what a world we live in today. :rejoice

Edit:  Wow... even the bore auto-edited the word r-tard to distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.   :rejoice :rejoice

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
Not to defend Druckmann but I feel like that's extrapolating too much.

Duckman's Neogaf posts had a very....smug smell to them when he posted. A lot of devs did. Game devs like most creative types often come across as being smug or artsy fartsy.
OH!