Author Topic: The Last of US II Spoilers are out! (spoiler: game out June 19)  (Read 34533 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: The Last of US II Spoilers are out! (spoiler: game out June 19)
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2020, 03:31:45 AM »
I have a very special relationship with Tomb Raider and its ropes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The first company I worked at was contracted to do work on Lara Croft ATGOL. I was in charge of making the spears and ropes work in multiplayer.
[close]
Damn bro, congrats, that game was fantastic (both of them, actually).
Super fun in coop.

Also does anyone else think people who cry during video games are maybe a little too invested in their shootbang vidya?

Look up Dom's sacrifice from Gears of War 3 on youtube and look at the comments. I used to go through those comments to laugh at it with friends.

My favourite one was some guy saying that it made him cry harder than when Soup died in Call of Duty.
There was also that one super cheesy letter in Lost Odyssey everyone kapt crying about, back in the day.  :lol
About some blind girl, or something like that?

El Babua

« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
My favorite one

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
I have a very special relationship with Tomb Raider and its ropes.

The first company I worked at was contracted to do work on Lara Croft ATGOL. I was in charge of making the spears and ropes work in multiplayer.
[close]

Thank you for your service. It was a pretty amazing co-op game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2020, 05:52:40 AM »
Finished.

I've already spent too many words talking about this game, so don't want to write too much, but in short, the game has serious issues, but i liked it quite a bit.
I saw Mr Gilhaney hated the finale, and i'm curious to read why, i liked it actually, it was fun and found it more or less fitting.

I'll skip over detailing what i did or didn't like about the nitty gritty of the gameplay and all the various minor plot details, again, to keep it contained.

I didn't mind the second half on principle, as i said it's there to counteract the major problem of the first game, while making clear how it isn't a simple matter of good guys vs bad guys.
The problem with it is that one of its crutches, the conflict with the Seraphites, doesn't really work well, because they don't register as reasonable at all.
This game lives in that limbo of "gritty comicbook" type of art, where it's serious enough, but the world and design still have to bend to its rules of engagement, so to speak -- so the final confrontant HAS to be a fist fight after  the biggest enemy encounter in the game, because that's the most satisfying solution from a game standpoint -- in a way you could say similarly to a Nolan's Batman, the themes are there, and the craft in the storytelling as well, but it has to play by the rules of a guy with a cape doing martial arts, it's inherently ridiculous.
Within those terms, i think they did a good job humanizing most characters but, even within this "pop" tonal range, the Seraphites stick out as way too fucking corny, and are hard to mentally accept as belonging to that world, for me.
(i have a similar problem with the RattleSnake at the end, but less so).

The Abby/Lev dynamic is of course crucial to the whole plot, and works more or less (though it feels a bit rushed through) but it could've been done with a more sober world building as a backdrop.

The other major problem i had with it, is the way the story is paced out; this is thankfully curbed in the epilogue chapter, but for example with Abby: You're asked to get some medical supplies from the hospital, allegedly only 2 hours away through a shortcut.
Ok, this is a simple plot point: Abby gets to bond with Lev by exposing one of her fears, while they go get this Macguffin-- this should've been 10/20 minutes at best, but instead you're zig zaging around to get across arbitrary structural obstacles, going through room after room after room (with or without enemies); it just dilutes everything, and makes no sense.
This is a common problem with the game, and by far my biggest gripe with it.

Final complaint is that a lot of the writing is just fucking bland; as i said i didn't mind Abby, or the macro structure of the plot itself, but all the inbetween banter and 90% of the notes were just mind numbingly boring to listen to, all of the characters, even lovers or lifelong friends, seem to have little chemistry, they all do the same types of akward shitty puns, and all seem to speak with the same "voice".
The few glimpses of Joel/Ellie interactions, do nothing but underline this issue, as their dynamic feels much stronger.

As for the notes, in the first LoU you had a fraction of them, but they were used to (usually) detail the world and its events prior to the game's, they also often connected to one another creating various throughlines (like the infamous one about the community living in the sewers.
In this one they're so fucking generic, you could probably write a template that adapts to every single one:
"Dear Betty, i fucked up, i thought i could escape but i was stupid, i'm gonna die here, my stuff is in the safe, the code is 34-56-78. I love you. - Seth".
[close]

Anyway, the positive outweight the negative for me, and ultimately i liked it quite a bit.
It's more messy than the first one, but also more narratively ambitious, although i'm not sure the pacing problems allow it to be as replayable.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:55 AM »
As if you read lore notes :girlaff
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
I usually try to read files in the these type of games. :ufup
Unless they're taking the piss, with multi paged bibles every other room.
Like those immersive sims and their 50 email chains at every terminal.
Fuck Stasis for having me read 500 pointless crew logs talking about buying cigarettes and other bullshit when i just need the solution to the puzzle.  :stahp
[close]

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2020, 07:21:24 AM »
You always read the lore  :bolo

Except for Skyrim. Fuck reading literal (shitty) novellas in the middle of an already 200 hour game  :yuck
Margs

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
I only "read" lore notes if you get xp for doing so :smug
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
I really dislike Dina and think Ellie and her have zero chemistry and thier relationship is super lame. I don’t have a good feeling of why these two like each other. She also goes from just kind of flirty girl to “I’m with you Ellie with your super dangerous revenge quest”. I don’t really buy it.

Before anyone makes any “you’re anti gay and lesbian”. No I enjoyed their banter, but the game gets super dark super quick that it’s jarring to me that she went from simply flirting to I’m with you no matter what.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
maybe you just hate women
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
i only like the asian cuck

BisMarckie

« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
As if you read lore notes :girlaff

I kinda wanted to read all the lore notes in Oblivion or Skyrim(I forgot), I gave up after two of these boring ass stories. :stahp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »
I take Jim “Vanquish is a shitty game” Sterling so seriously.

He also gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4??
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
Nah this game does legit have the most satisfying glass breaking in any game bih

Hahahahahahahahhaahahahahahaha thats supposed to be impressive or satisfying? 😂😂😂😂😂

This looks more realistic

What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
maybe you just hate women
Then I should really like this game!

No, I just think Dina is a poorly written character
[close]

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
I take Jim “Vanquish is a shitty game” Sterling so seriously.

He also gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4??

Seems a bit high

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
Assassin's Creed 2 has tried all sorts of tactics to improve upon the original, but none of these attempts have worked. The game's variety and length come across as nothing more than smoke and mirrors, the endless, grinding busywork that contributes nothing to the overall gameplay is inexcusably plentiful and mind-numbingly repetitive, and to top it all off, the game can't even compete in the visuals department and somehow looks worse than the original.

Or was he talking about the latest Assassins Creed games?

:brain
What

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »
Finished.

I've already spent too many words talking about this game, so don't want to write too much, but in short, the game has serious issues, but i liked it quite a bit.
I saw Mr Gilhaney hated the finale, and i'm curious to read why, i liked it actually, it was fun and found it more or less fitting.

I'll skip over detailing what i did or didn't like about the nitty gritty of the gameplay and all the various minor plot details, again, to keep it contained.

I didn't mind the second half on principle, as i said it's there to counteract the major problem of the first game, while making clear how it isn't a simple matter of good guys vs bad guys.
The problem with it is that one of its crutches, the conflict with the Seraphites, doesn't really work well, because they don't register as reasonable at all.
This game lives in that limbo of "gritty comicbook" type of art, where it's serious enough, but the world and design still have to bend to its rules of engagement, so to speak -- so the final confrontant HAS to be a fist fight after  the biggest enemy encounter in the game, because that's the most satisfying solution from a game standpoint -- in a way you could say similarly to a Nolan's Batman, the themes are there, and the craft in the storytelling as well, but it has to play by the rules of a guy with a cape doing martial arts, it's inherently ridiculous.
Within those terms, i think they did a good job humanizing most characters but, even within this "pop" tonal range, the Seraphites stick out as way too fucking corny, and are hard to mentally accept as belonging to that world, for me.
(i have a similar problem with the RattleSnake at the end, but less so).

The Abby/Lev dynamic is of course crucial to the whole plot, and works more or less (though it feels a bit rushed through) but it could've been done with a more sober world building as a backdrop.

The other major problem i had with it, is the way the story is paced out; this is thankfully curbed in the epilogue chapter, but for example with Abby: You're asked to get some medical supplies from the hospital, allegedly only 2 hours away through a shortcut.
Ok, this is a simple plot point: Abby gets to bond with Lev by exposing one of her fears, while they go get this Macguffin-- this should've been 10/20 minutes at best, but instead you're zig zaging around to get across arbitrary structural obstacles, going through room after room after room (with or without enemies); it just dilutes everything, and makes no sense.
This is a common problem with the game, and by far my biggest gripe with it.

Final complaint is that a lot of the writing is just fucking bland; as i said i didn't mind Abby, or the macro structure of the plot itself, but all the inbetween banter and 90% of the notes were just mind numbingly boring to listen to, all of the characters, even lovers or lifelong friends, seem to have little chemistry, they all do the same types of akward shitty puns, and all seem to speak with the same "voice".
The few glimpses of Joel/Ellie interactions, do nothing but underline this issue, as their dynamic feels much stronger.

As for the notes, in the first LoU you had a fraction of them, but they were used to (usually) detail the world and its events prior to the game's, they also often connected to one another creating various throughlines (like the infamous one about the community living in the sewers.
In this one they're so fucking generic, you could probably write a template that adapts to every single one:
"Dear Betty, i fucked up, i thought i could escape but i was stupid, i'm gonna die here, my stuff is in the safe, the code is 34-56-78. I love you. - Seth".
[close]

Anyway, the positive outweight the negative for me, and ultimately i liked it quite a bit.
It's more messy than the first one, but also more narratively ambitious, although i'm not sure the pacing problems allow it to be as replayable.

Games should probably have stopped notes after Itchy. Tasty., it was kind of one and done with that really.
ὕβρις

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/IRHotTakes/status/1275164886419595267
https://twitter.com/IRHotTakes/status/1275166514077937667

:lol

if there's any way to colonise intersectionality, as a successful cishet white dude ima figure it out  8)

jk, we already figured it out  :success
[close]
◕‿◕

El Babua

« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2020, 08:49:54 PM »
Asscreed 1 prob aged better than any other game in the series since its main gameplay was so much different from the others.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2020, 03:07:24 AM »
Why do people keep going on about killing the dogs? It's a game. They're pixels and an annoying enemy type. I take them out first cause they're annoying to stealth. Then you can just do a cleanup run of the rest of the combat arena.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2020, 03:20:27 AM »
Why do people keep going on about killing the dogs? It's a game. They're pixels and an annoying enemy type. I take them out first cause they're annoying to stealth. Then you can just do a cleanup run of the rest of the combat arena.

I started every encounter that has dogs by torching them and their owner with a molotov since they’re always bunched together. Fuck them fleabags  :pimp
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2020, 03:22:28 AM »
I shot them with arrows cause the devs kept going about the reactions the enemies would have to their best friend dying.

*insert a single voice line*

*Instantly back to the standard patrol AI*

Love it. Making you have feelings for these NPCs failed really damn hard.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2020, 04:04:19 AM »
I shot them with arrows cause the devs kept going about the reactions the enemies would have to their best friend dying.

Nah, it's pretty good, better attempt than any other game i've played on that side, maybe RDR2 is kind of on par.
I like them screaming their buddies names and shit, makes it more satisfying to kill them off, especially after you died a couple of times, and the frustration starts to mount up.  :doge

Anyway, was having a laugh at AngeryJoe's meltdown at the finale on Twitch.
He really took his boy Joel death bad.  :lol

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2020, 05:30:42 AM »
gamers...

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2020, 05:57:39 AM »

Nah, it's pretty good, better attempt than any other game i've played on that side, maybe RDR2 is kind of on par.
I like them screaming their buddies names and shit, makes it more satisfying to kill them off, especially after you died a couple of times, and the frustration starts to mount up.  :doge

got a link m8?
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2020, 06:05:29 AM »

got a link m8?
Dunno if it's on youtube yet.
Someone linked his twitch while he was live, and i had it in the BG screaming while working.  :-*

Although it was mostly a repeat of this:

In a different flavor and with a bit more screaming.

El Babua

« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2020, 09:24:37 AM »
Astounded at the gamers that attached to Joel

Also up to Day 2.2, they really could have cut like 10 hours from this and have the same exact story lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

The Last Of Us Part II: Remastered coming soon to PS5!
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
B-but there's more plants in that one shop tho.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2020, 12:44:06 AM »
didnt know where to post this spoilers

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2020, 12:55:34 AM »
always gotta kill dogs first in games, always been annoying and overpowered, Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor, etc.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »
didnt know where to post this spoilers

If this had spared us everything that happens after the Church arc, i would've taken it.
Stick that D&D shit up your bum, Miura.  :'(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
why is there almost 300 trinkets to find in this game what the fuck man
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »
like what hte fuck is the relevance of super hero trading cards
fat

El Babua

« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2020, 01:14:41 AM »
I gotta say, the second half of the game is better designed and paced than the first half. More fun set of weapons too.

The fact that both half-campaigns feel different thematically, and the way ND expresses it through gameplay is pretty lit. Ellie is a lone survivor, while Abby is Rambo (Rambo 1 Rambo). The weapon/crafting selection, and the game giving you way more ammo with Abby illustrates it pretty well. Playing Ellie's first 3 days in Seattle had me stressed for ammo till the end, while with Abby, I'm not having as much stress about having ammo, but way more stressed about making every shot count since there are more enemies you have to deal with in any given encounter.
[close]

Dev self inserts

Bebpo

« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2020, 03:03:08 AM »
Just beat it.

That was an interesting movie.

I feel like the first game was a traditional adventure story of getting the princess to her castle while fighting monsters and the bad men, but done gritty and morally grey with a focus on pushing a "who really are the bad guys in this scenario" angle which leads up to the extremely morally grey, but well built up and satisfying finale.

The first game I would call a crowd pleaser because it's basically just a traditional story that everyone likes but with some added depth and an interesting ending built upon the depth. Basically to me it felt like a Cormac McCarthy version of a traditional adventure tale. The fact that it was very well written and the the ending was good puts it up high on my personal top game narratives list.

Otoh, TLoU2's narrative tries to be much more non-traditional and complex and tries to do more, but it also loses a lot of the crowd pleasingness of a simple tried & true narrative and instead ends up with an auteur narrative something along the line of Inarritu's The Revenant. And like what happens when you try to handle a lot more thematically and break down traditional formulas, you get something that is kind of messy. Some of it really works, but some not so much, and overall you end up with less of a crowd pleaser and a narrative that's less satisfying but gives you more to think about when you walk away.

Gameplay-wise, I thought the gameplay was really good, but the game is too long and the narrative is much more interesting than the gameplay. I found in the first half of the game that I'd clear out every enemy in every encounter using stealth and then scavenge all the loot taking my time. By the last 1/3rd of the game I would just throw a molotov and sprint the fuck past everyone shooting down anyone between me and the exit door to the encounter a lot of the times because I was more interested in progressing the story than "ugh, another gameplay encounter". The encounters were still good, it was just after 20 hours of them, I didn't want to play encounters anymore, I just wanted to see the rest of the story play out.

The game looks amazing and has like the best sound design ever.

In terms of where the story ends up:

I was fine with everything, the one change I would've made and I'm surprised for a game they say they focus tested the shit out of that they didn't do this, is during the first Abby v Ellie encounter I walked away feeling it was pretty unsatisfying because they had like zero dialogue exchange to talk at least for a bit and realize how similar they were and that have an effect on them.

Then we get the epilogue and I'm like oh, ok they're saving that for Abby v Ellie part 2, and then you get to the fight and they fight again and they still don't have any fucking lines at all and then it ends. Like from Abby's point of view after she gets on that boat and leaves what does she think of Ellie? Does she think "man, that is one crazy bitch wtf" or does she leave having gotten the understanding that Ellie's loss was as heavy as her own loss of her father and that need for revenge damaged her even more than Abby's revenge on Joel?

I'm surprised the focus tested audience didn't feel it was unsatisfying that the two never had a real verbal conversation. Because I found that unsatisfying and the ending was fine but overall the narrative isn't that satisfying to me just because of it missing that one scene of the two having dialogue and understanding each other. The kind of messy narrative reminds me a lot of RDR2, but RDR2's final showdown on the mountain is done in a more satisfying way so it ends better imo.

Also I felt that 2-3 month jump to Abby/Lev tied up and basically at the point of death kinda did those two characters dirty after having the player played through their campaign. That was basically just fucking up characters for fucking them up sake. Also when Ellie released the prisoners right before the final fight and asked where Abby was, I thought the person said Abby was bit? Maybe I just misheard that.

The Joel stuff was fine at the start, I can't believe people got worked up about that. It fit narratively. Reminded me of Silent Hill 3.
[close]

Anyhow, I hope they don't make a Last of Us 3. This is a great game and glad they made it, but the original already didn't need a sequel and this sequel having to figure out what story to tell kinda seemed a result of that. Now there really doesn't need to be another one. But since the game is going to sell ridiculously well I guess it's money left on the floor if they don't keep the franchise alive so

Hopefully a Last of Us III takes place elsewhere with a completely different cast of characters.
[close]

Also, yeah I was surprised at all the dog killing in this game. Playing it I was wondering if dog owners can't play this game because of that. I know some dog owners that I can see them not being able to play it once the dog killing starts.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:09:13 AM by Bebpo »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2020, 04:23:35 AM »
It's really a stupid amount.
The coins at least are more reasonably spaced.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2020, 04:55:41 AM »
Also, yeah I was surprised at all the dog killing in this game. Playing it I was wondering if dog owners can't play this game because of that. I know some dog owners that I can see them not being able to play it once the dog killing starts.

They are pixels. The game is not real. Imagine being a turtle owner and not being able to play Mario cause he jumps on the koopas. Come on...

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2020, 05:43:21 AM »

They are pixels. The game is not real. Imagine being a turtle owner and not being able to play Mario cause he jumps on the koopas. Come on...
Watch Salvatores' Nirvana (or at least Toy Story). :ufup

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »

Big difference between violence that presents itself realistically and that which doesn't. This is like saying it's ridiculous to have an emotional reaction to a story because it's not something that really happened, it's just words or a series of images.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »
Enemy npc #24 isn't exactly the same as a character that actually has a backstory and general character building.

The ones they actually tried to do it for in the game, they bungled so hard it's laughable.

They actually tried with Abby's dog. But because they decided to split up the game into two 10 hour chunks seeing two sides of the story, the stuff actually building up the dog happens like hours after you already killed it in some QTE.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
The double standard when it comes to animals and humans is older than videogames.
:trumps

I've seen a guy say he wasn't too thrilled about the enemies begging for their life while the game never offered any choice on the matter. Both on moral grounds but also a weird pacing issue in encounters which breaks the flow.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »
Enemy npc #24 isn't exactly the same as a character that actually has a backstory and general character building.

The ones they actually tried to do it for in the game, they bungled so hard it's laughable.

They actually tried with Abby's dog. But because they decided to split up the game into two 10 hour chunks seeing two sides of the story, the stuff actually building up the dog happens like hours after you already killed it in some QTE.
[close]
That's why it's interesting.  ???
You kill what comes off as a random dog and then it's given depth, making you reflect on (the character's) past actions.
It's like, the whole point of the game's structure, to see the two sides.
[close]
Not gonna work on everyone, as everybody's different, i suppose.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
"Both sides" :wag

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
There's too much downtime in between the two storylines robbing it of the emotional impact they were obviously shooting for.

Doesn't help that killing Abby's dog is literally a retread of the central catalyst the game is built around. Killing the random doctor in part 1 turning out to be Abby's dad. Did this even need to be there?
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2020, 02:01:55 PM »
I agree there's too much filler (mainly gameplay encounters that could've been cut) in general, but
to a degree, i think you're supposed to forget what you've done, until you're reminded, it makes it more powerful, when you come back with Abby from Haven.
That is, if you empathized with her by that point (which i did, but others didn't).

For her father being that one surgeon, i kind of agree, i find it hacky to tie it back to the one single most important victim of Joel's action.
To me, symbolically, it would've meant much more if she was the daughter of a random someone that Joel had killed during his bad boy days (implied but not shown, in the first game).
This is partly a problem with the first game and its lack of nuance, something the second game works on, at least.

However it needs to be said that for most people, the link to a scene directly in the first game was important, and this does tie back to what they felt was a central element of Ellie's story (which i find of little interest): Her role as humanity's denied savior, and therefore her frustration for a lack of purpose (also related to the death of Riley).
So yeah it ties in, in that sense.

I find the whole immunity aspect somewhat superfluous and hacky in general, but of course it's too late to ignore now.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
I think the biggest offender in too many gameplay encounters is

in the epilogue in Santa Barbara. Yeah it's nice to run around a different looking location, but once we changed to Ellie there it should've been cutscenes or exploration straight to the final encounter. Going through a few areas again with dudes (who now were a helmet!) was just "ugh, come on, let's get this over with"
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »
this game is boring and the characters are extremely uninteresting

i dont think Dina could be any worse of a character, but then she decides to pull a Maury with the random "i'm pregnant" OOOOOOOOOOK sure Dina
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
For a game about strong women, sure fucked that up after making Dina a damsel literally 10 mins after announcing so boldly that she was a pregnant lesbian.

I’m currently
on what seems like the 20th hour of playing as Abby she’s just been fucked and just gone over the massive bridge and fallen into the swimming pool the scar sub story has been an absolute waste of time, but at least I’ve seen the attempted hanging scene now. Just need to get the meds then I assume I’ll be nearly at the end, the game feels lost within itself, it’s given up trying to be woke and it’s almost as if it’s got to a well we killed Joel off far too early what the hell we gonna do now?
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
I'll give you that they didn't do enough with Dina, though she still has some moments past where you are. As much as the side characters are likeable, the focus is so much on Ellie/Abby that everyone else is whatever.

I think I'd have liked it better if Dina was Ellie's sidekick the whole way. Like Jesse was cool, but making room for Jesse was at the expense of Dina.

I disagree with your spoiler bit though. The main story concept is good and in a lot of ways more interesting than the original story concept. It's just the execution is debatable.

Svejk

« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
So... do you all feel this is a 10/10 Must Play GOTG?  Asking for a friend.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
Hell no lmao
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2020, 09:35:45 PM »
Needed more diversity to be a 10 for me

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
what the fuck

Jesse literally appearing out of nowhere "OH HI HAHA XD"
[close]

the nostalgia bits with Joel just cement that he is easily the best character

people wanted Tommy as a lead? he would be even worse, i would go insane listen to this yokel talk
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2020, 11:05:34 PM »
I really dislike Dina. There is nothing believable about her character and she feels rather pointless.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2020, 11:16:28 PM »
i dont think Dina could be any worse of a character, but then she decides to pull a Maury with the random "i'm pregnant" OOOOOOOOOOK sure Dina
This dumb game pulls this lazy plot device out of the hat
MULTIPLE FUCKING TIMES
[close]
. And love triangles. Love triangles everywhere.

Druckmann has brain rot from watching too many daytime soaps and lifetime original movies.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2020, 02:00:37 AM »
Where'd Abby get the steroids in the post-apocalypse?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2020, 02:23:21 AM »
So... do you all feel this is a 10/10 Must Play GOTG?  Asking for a friend.
Nothing is a "must play".
I think it's better than the first one in many respects (some obviously due to tech advancements) and worse in others ( mainly pacing and some extra story stuff, like notes and optional banter).
So i'd put it on a similar level.

Not my GOTG, not even my GOTY (that'd be Alyx) but still a great piece of work under many POVs.
Number scores are distinguished mentally-challenged, so i dunno about that.