Author Topic: The Last of US II Spoilers are out! (spoiler: game out June 19)  (Read 34524 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aerith dies

[close]

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:12:43 PM by demi »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: The Last of US II Spoilers are out!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
Not in Nomura's timeline, boyo  8)
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »
tlou2 spoilers: what if we were the real monsters all along?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »
Spoilers: Game releases June 19
fat

thetylerrob

Re: The Last of US II Spoilers are out! (spoiler: game out June 19)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
Actual real spoiler comment:
Not sure if they went woke or redpilled. Sure that people are gonna be mad.
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »
They should've just released the damn game already.  Whatever... Their fault.
still gonna play it.  :yeshrug
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
lmao get in payment disputes with your workers and have your AAAA+ woke fiction leaked all over the internet  :lol
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 01:08:33 PM »
Aside from skimming over the spoilers in the other thread (to the point where I'm not exactly sure what is happening and all, except that a few specific folks die that as a player you might be affected)
I assume Joel dies if that spoiler was true. Gonna be a bummer in a good way. Shit I thought he was dead after the college town bit in the first game which had me thinking "this poor girl is gonna have it really rough now." though I was glad he was able to heal up.
[close]

I guess I'll see how those plot points play out in the game. I don't know. Maybe it is a thousand times worse than the original. I thought the first game was no better or worse than The Walking Dead tv show (which I checked out of before the lady with the swords was introduced and thought the show was no longer worth watching at the conclusion of whatever season that was). Shit, it's not like the story in the first was detrimental to the game. I guess if it's a backlash at people losing their shit and throwing around Citizen Kane like nerds do every 3 or 4 years at something, I mean alright I guess. Wouldn't let gushing nerds taint my experience just cause they were overzealous.

About the release date. Is that something to do with these leaks at all, or was this general release date expected?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
It's official by Sony
fat

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
It's official by Sony

Sorry, probably wasn't clear with my post. Was the release date influenced by various leaks or was the game expected to release in the summer all along?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
the first delayed release was end of may so i think they were just waiting for shipping stuff to get a bit better so retailers could sell physical copies, doubt it was related to the leaks at all.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
So it’s been pushed back a month? That’s a pretty standard delay anyway, unless it’s a call of duty of sportz game that make their dates without fail :trumps

Epsecially when you can’t lock you’re employees in the office for 20 hours per day and make them crunch :lol
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »
Going from "DELAYED INDEFINITELY" to "haha just kidding a couple months" is peak CORONA
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
the first delayed release was end of may so i think they were just waiting for shipping stuff to get a bit better so retailers could sell physical copies, doubt it was related to the leaks at all.
Maybe it was an incentive, but yeah i agree.
In May plenty of countries are starting to (slowly) reopen things up.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 02:53:28 PM »
It means it was definitely delayed. Don't you know that?

Also nobody likes you man, can you indefinitely vanish?
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »
Going from "DELAYED INDEFINITELY" to "haha just kidding a couple months" is peak CORONA
not even a couple months, just 20 days lmao :lol

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
it's not called II Last II Us?
QED

bluemax

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:33 AM »
The game loop is still going to be completely uninteresting, but now the story is attempting to be even more depressing!
NO

El Babua

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 03:41:47 AM »
I actually really liked Last of Us back when it came out. My GOTY for 2013 even  :doge

It did the whole explore shit with your fake daughter genre of game way better than Bioshock Infinite. As far as core gameplay is concerned, it was pretty tense when you alerted enemies, and really came together on higher difficulties. If they make the stealth more dynamic, compared to how weird it was in the original (human enemies were piss easy to stealth kill, while the infected were way more difficult and frustrating to get), I'll enjoy it. And I know ND is gonna put a whole bunch of walk-slow so we can have two characters talk type situations - as we've seen in the leaks. They better keep that shit to a minimum.

As far as the actual leaks are concerned, glad ND isn't shying away from giving us the Manhunt sequel we deserve :rejoice

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
One of the more intense gameplay moments of last gen - When you had to go power the generator knowing that as soon as you made noise the uglies were gonna come storming in.

This person plays it nice and slick. Me? Not even close. I was shitting bricks before and during this part haha.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
Yuuuuge spoiler gif from an unrelated show. Though I did not see it leak in video form. Only saw it referred to in text, but I guess it's been unofficially confirmed it happens?
[close]

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:24 AM »
The meme is real  :lol :lol :lol :gun
(ice)

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
“I was like, oh we can make the player feel that,” he explained. “We can make you experience this thirst for revenge. This thirst for retribution, and having you actually like commit the acts of finding it. And then showing you the other side to make you regret it. To make you feel dirty for everything you’ve done in the game, making you realize ‘I’m actually the villain of the story.’”

Personally I think it's time for a story that shows us the positive side of revenge

Druckmann also says The Last of Us is a kind of love letter to American landscapes, as seen through the eyes of an immigrant. “I have a certain affinity and certain love for the United States that’s in some way unique to an immigrant,” he said. “I remember the first time we arrived, a couple of days later we drove through Manhattan. And I’m like ‘oh my god I’m in one of the many movies I’ve seen that have taken place on this street!’ For me, a lot of The Last of Us has an Americana vibe that is a love letter to these landscapes.”

So it's inspired by Druckmann's love of American landscapes, which is actually his love of how American landscapes remind him of movies he's seen before. Kewl

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »
What's controversial about that (landscape) statement?
-
Anyway, his reasoning of revenge i hope isn't predicated on
me giving a shit when they kill Joel, because as a character he isn't very likeable, which is fine, but i also won't exactly cry my eyes out for him.
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 01:19:57 AM »
-
me giving a shit when they kill Joel, because as a character he isn't very likeable, which is fine, but i also won't exactly cry my eyes out for him.
[close]

I don't think the statement is controversial, just funny. And reinforcing that most game writer "auteurs" are just dudes who's artistic influences don't really stretch beyond popular movies they grew up watching.

I think Joel dies relatively late in the game. If that's the case, it might be a moment for no return for Ellie, but may be intended to give the player an opposite feeling? Subverting the Ludonarrative Dissonance tropes  :brain Well played Mr. Druckman
[close]

One thing I definitely will give Druckman credit for is knowing his limits when it comes to writing.

The thing about TLOU that separated it narratively from every other AAA game in that era is that it knew when to STFU.

Bioshock Infinite pissed me the fuck off because the plot was ambitious, but the moment to moment writing felt cheap, hollow, or just award-baity. Yes, please have Elizabeth sing with a bunch of poor children in the slums when you randomly pick up a guitar. This will be a moving moment that will show how forward the medium of gaming has come. Problem is, that scene was so damn out of place considering I shot some guy in the head like a minute before.

So then TLOU comes out and we get a story that stays stays in its lane that wasn't half bad. I was extremely surprised how crazy people got over it. I thought it was a competent zombie story wrapped up in a really good game, but no Citizen Kane lol. I still can't fathom people comparing TLOU to anything beyond...like a Starz original in terms of writing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:25:22 AM by El Babua »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
Most gamers only consume anime and vidya is your answer :snob
(ice)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1270568318450020354

:dead

So they've moved on from copying Children of Men to LiveLeak videos?

:juchesad

:juche
OH!

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
-
[close]

I don't think the statement is controversial, just funny. And reinforcing that most game writer "auteurs" are just dudes who's artistic influences don't really stretch beyond popular movies they grew up watching.

I think Joel dies relatively late in the game. If that's the case, it might be a moment for no return for Ellie, but may be intended to give the player an opposite feeling? Subverting the Ludonarrative Dissonance tropes  :brain Well played Mr. Druckman
[close]

One thing I definitely will give Druckman credit for is knowing his limits when it comes to writing.

The thing about TLOU that separated it narratively from every other AAA game in that era is that it knew when to STFU.

Bioshock Infinite pissed me the fuck off because the plot was ambitious, but the moment to moment writing felt cheap, hollow, or just award-baity. Yes, please have Elizabeth sing with a bunch of poor children in the slums when you randomly pick up a guitar. This will be a moving moment that will show how forward the medium of gaming has come. Problem is, that scene was so damn out of place considering I shot some guy in the head like a minute before.

So then TLOU comes out and we get a story that stays stays in its lane that wasn't half bad. I was extremely surprised how crazy people got over it. I thought it was a competent zombie story wrapped up in a really good game, but no Citizen Kane lol. I still can't fathom people comparing TLOU to anything beyond...like a Starz original in terms of writing.

I genuinely enjoy Bioshock Infinite because it's like a brutally violent Disney movie. At the time, it was certainly hyped up for it's story. As a game, I'd say it's a pretty fun and colorful amusement park ride thru a hyper racist American utopia.

If you could decapitate Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts,I'd probably be a bigger fan of that series tbh.
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 09:47:22 AM »
"Some of [the fans of the original game] are not going to like this game, and not like where it goes, and not like what it says or the fate of characters that they love," Druckmann said. "I'd rather have people passionately hate it than just be like, 'Yeah, it was OK.'" 
  :lol  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »
The journo reach-arounds for this game are gonna be so trill!  :lawd

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 03:43:16 AM »
The reviews have started and IGN Japan are the best.

"The Last of Us Part II tries too hard to differentiate itself from its predecessor. While astonishing cityscapes and more varied combat options are great evolutions, Part II lacks the poetic serenity that made the original road-movie-like epic such a masterpiece. On top of that, uninteresting new characters burden the story, making Ellie's journey feel conventional and not nearly as captivating as the original."

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 04:03:57 AM »
This game looked like it was up it's own ass every time it was shown. It would not surprise me if it lacks the "charm" of the first game. Rarely does a sequel to a game I liked look so whatever to me.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 07:28:45 AM »
Loving the review scores so far. Pretty excited for friday.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
It looks more interesting than the first one to me, from what i've seen.
It's darker, so YMMV, but the first one was so incredibly predictable in following genre clichès... this one i'm not saying revolutionizes anything, but seems to take at least a few spins here and there.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
I'm imagining the same overblown nonsense reviews the first one got and I can't wait to get mad at the video game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
I mean every other game gets a 9 anyway, i don't think i've seriously taken into consideration a game review in the last 15 years.

El Babua

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
Here's a review from someone that primarily reviews the gameplay, particularly from someone who played the last game the same way I did.

Looks like I got most of what I wanted for a sequel. Enemy AI doesn't necessarily seem smarter, judging the clips from the above review, but they seem to offer more of an organic challenge from the way they designed the encounters.

El Babua

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
I played the original on Hard no listen mode, then on Survivor the second go.

I found the core gameplay loop to be pretty fun, which was made even better by the overall pacing. The encounters against human enemies were tense when you were alerted, but the AI could get unbelievably dumb once they lost sight of you.

I respected NDs attempt at trying to make dynamic emergent scenarios, but the weird dichotomy between how the AI operated between stealth and combat oftentimes killed the immersion. And if you knew how, you could break the game pretty easily. And after playing MGS V, other third person stealth games just feel clunky lol

Aside from that, playing it on a harder difficulty did make things better. Less resources means crafting decisions become more important. Combined with more tension when you had to make those moment to moment decisions.

kingv

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 09:18:15 PM »
Think I’ll end up skipping this one. Looks to double down on the stuff I didn’t really enjoy about the first one.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 09:31:24 PM »
I played the original on Hard no listen mode, then on Survivor the second go.

I found the core gameplay loop to be pretty fun, which was made even better by the overall pacing. The encounters against human enemies were tense when you were alerted, but the AI could get unbelievably dumb once they lost sight of you.

I respected NDs attempt at trying to make dynamic emergent scenarios, but the weird dichotomy between how the AI operated between stealth and combat oftentimes killed the immersion. And if you knew how, you could break the game pretty easily. And after playing MGS V, other third person stealth games just feel clunky lol

Aside from that, playing it on a harder difficulty did make things better. Less resources means crafting decisions become more important. Combined with more tension when you had to make those moment to moment decisions.
Same, that should've been the standard option in my opinion.
Uncharted games on hard are just shittier, but Last of Us actually made sense with more scarce resources.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
Here's a review from someone that primarily reviews the gameplay, particularly from someone who played the last game the same way I did.

Looks like I got most of what I wanted for a sequel. Enemy AI doesn't necessarily seem smarter, judging the clips from the above review, but they seem to offer more of an organic challenge from the way they designed the encounters.

Why ffs is this still a thing? If you are going to make a game based on 'realism' and 'immersion' don't let me aim a gun like this within one second, shoot through obvious barrier and then headshot the guy. How is the crosshair on his head when the gun is stuck in the wooden fence?>

I mean game looks like TLOU 1.5 which I got bombarded for on Reeeeee for saying that but it truly looks to be that way.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/AerospaceCowboy/status/1271882127022460931

Oh man, this better be true.
The enemies react to their friend's deaths by calling out their names and such. Apparently this applies to their dogs as well.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
Just like when Liam Neeson killed a dog in Schindler's List.
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2020, 01:14:13 AM »
Surely during development someone put their hand up and asked why a player would care about killing dogs. Who cares about dogs, especially when they're trying to bite your throat out.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2020, 05:11:11 AM »
Just like when Liam Neeson killed a dog in Schindler's List.
But then Schindler, after the Weistein scandal, said he "went up and down areas with a cosh (a club), hoping he’d be approached by somebody — he’s ashamed to say that — and he did it for maybe a week, hoping some ‘jewish bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at him about something, you know? So that he could kill him"

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
So you only play as Ellie in this one or?

Seems lame to me
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2020, 06:34:40 AM »
spoilers

[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »
Man, looking at those spoilers my hype is through the roof. This game looks so good. Schindler's List eat your heart out!

BisMarckie

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 07:15:11 AM »
Detroit is the true Schindler‘s List of vidya games :hmph

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2020, 07:16:25 AM »

one of the few select souls, who understood david cages metaphor i see. truly amazing the way he showed us racism and genocide in a whole new way. bravo

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2020, 07:17:40 AM »

[close]

:lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2020, 07:21:12 AM »

one of the few select souls, who understood david cages metaphor i see. truly amazing the way he showed us racism and genocide in a whole new way. bravo

David Cage‘s subtlety flies over a lot of people‘s heads. The only true auteur in this medium.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2020, 07:21:57 AM »
Based fucking Druckmann, spitting on Sonyponies.
"The hopes and wants of the fanbase" :lol Suck my dick.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2020, 07:23:16 AM »
All this actually makes me more excited to play it.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »
I have zero interest in playing it but god damn I’m here for the backlash :hyper

I’m kinda getting GTA 4 vibes here :doge
(ice)