Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 243462 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »
all this concern trolling over buildings, it's lives that matter not pieces of property

It's not about property. It's about delegitimizing a cause in the pursuit of destruction you single celled troglodyte.

Trying to deligitimize a movement due to a supposed infiltration of outside agitators is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Himu

« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2020, 12:48:56 PM »
There is a bunch of evidence that protests are sensitive to weather, and when rain happens it is much less likely people engage in protests. And so we should expect that when there is more rainfall there is less likelihood that people will engage in protest, and when there is less rainfall there is more likelihood. So we get a crude natural experiment—it’s as if some places were randomly assigned a violent protest and some were not.

And what I find is that, in the week following King’s assassination, when ninety-five per cent of those violent April protests occurred, if your county was proximate to violent protests, then that county voted six to eight percentage points more toward Nixon in November. But maybe there was something correlated with rainfall driving this result, and so to address the possibility of a confounding factor, like geography, I also looked at rainfall in periods where we should expect no effect of rainfall on voting—e.g., periods before and more than a few days after the assassination. This is called a placebo test. It is only rainfall in the one week after the assassination that predicts this conservative shift in November, and, in the absence of a plausible alternative story for why rainfall in April was predicting voting in November, the most obvious explanation is that the violent protests were the cause. And so we can then claim a causal relationship between violent protests and the shift away from the Democratic coalition.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/how-violent-protests-change-politics/amp

America doesn't have the same demographics and Trump is a particularly unique president.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #422 on: May 30, 2020, 12:49:03 PM »
That pepper-spraying cop was from Occupy old man
oh, okay, thanks

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:existential
[close]

bluemax

« Reply #423 on: May 30, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
I see a lot of my white friends posting Obama's statement on this, and I feel like... his statement is so hollow. Did he do or try anything in the 8 years he was president to improve this? I dunno, I'm probably really wrong on this and I am totally willing to admit that.

A friend of mine who lives in DTLA posted tons of video from last night. The cop to protestor ratio was easily 4-1 and grew to 10-1 as the night got later. She had to hide behind stuff to avoid rubber bullets. It's fucked up knowing our mayor is trying to sneak through a budget that gives an even more ridiculous amount to the cops and that our DA has never prosecuted a killer cop, and there's been something like 600 of them.

I'm going out in a bit to participate in a protest today. I've never really done this sort of thing before but I don't feel good sitting at home doing nothing either.
NO

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #424 on: May 30, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
iirc obama's response to ferguson was to help get a bill passed that made attacking cops a hate crime
pcp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
all this concern trolling over buildings, it's lives that matter not pieces of property

It's not about property. It's about delegitimizing a cause in the pursuit of destruction you single celled troglodyte.

Trying to deligitimize a movement due to a supposed infiltration of outside agitators is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
it's the russians!  :gurl

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2020, 01:01:14 PM »

it depends on if you're saying "it's the russians" with no evidence, or if you have footage of a white person destroying a local business while dozens of black protesters yell at them to stop

or footage of an undercover cop getting out of a cop vehicle and swearing he's not a cop, he's with cnn, then you go back to the vehicle and the cops inside say they're not cops and also not cnn

like were these events faked, the governor paid a bunch of black people to beg an undercover agent to stop breaking shit while he filmed it
Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
It's the fault of a culture of racism and right-wing extremism within law enforcement and our system of government :nope

It's the fault of the radical left and looters trying to exploit the protests  :cac

It's the Russians :ohyeah

It's George Soros  :mods

🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #429 on: May 30, 2020, 01:12:23 PM »
Glen sent me the posters they were handing out last night :dead :dead :dead

Just goes to show that you can leave the Bore, but the Bore will never leave you
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
It's the fault of a culture of racism and right-wing extremism within law enforcement and our system of government :nope

It's the fault of the radical left and looters trying to exploit the protests  :cac

It's the Russians :ohyeah

It's George Soros  :mods
infiltrators from middle earth  :rejoice

https://twitter.com/TarekCattan/status/1266778137544790018

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2020, 01:28:17 PM »
iirc obama's response to ferguson was to help get a bill passed that made attacking cops a hate crime

I see a lot of my white friends posting Obama's statement on this, and I feel like... his statement is so hollow. Did he do or try anything in the 8 years he was president to improve this? I dunno, I'm probably really wrong on this and I am totally willing to admit that.

Yeah he did;  the DOJ under Obama sued PDs all over the country forcing them to address complaints.

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/06/150128344/faith-in-seattle-police-shaken-by-doj-investigation

Police departments have come under increased scrutiny from the Obama administration as the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division steps up investigations of corruption, bias and excessive force.

Some of the targeted law enforcement agencies have had ethical clouds hanging over them for years — the New Orleans Police Department being the prime example — but others, like the Seattle Police Department, aren't exactly usual suspects.

Seattle came to the Justice Department's attention a year and a half ago, after the shooting death of John T. Williams, a homeless man of Native Canadian descent. Chris Stearns, a lawyer on the city's Human Rights Commission, recalls that Williams was killed for walking across a street carrying a carving knife and a piece of wood.

They sued to force changes, firings, replacement of leadership, etc.   It was extensive enough a lot of the PDs tried to sue back, but it was all within the DOJ's pursue and all legal.

Interesting, thanks for this. I don't want to go popping off to people about it without knowing the facts and this is a high stress period so trying to correct people is just gonna lead to lots of yelling.

My AP government teacher used to tell me that the beauty of our country is that we have a non violent revolution every 4 years, and until I graduated college I kind of believed that. That things could change peacefully every few years. I started out as a professional in February of 08, and everything I've experienced since then has taught me not that the system is broken, but that it is fundamentally built wrong. As a software engineer it is easy for me to look at our political system as this giant, disgusting legacy code base that was built on bad information and terrible assumptions. People have been trying to refactor it or add on to it for years, but the core rot of certain parts can't be removed because high paying clients need that legacy compatibility. Projects like this can limp along for a long time, but eventually they either collapse under their own weight, or a competitor comes along with a more modern solution and replaces them. There's always the possibility that leadership decides it is time to undertake the onerous task of a re-write, but that is usually not my experience.

Anywho, shit is fucked up is what I'm trying to say.
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
Malcolm X:
"The property is the only thing that’s there. And they destroy it. And you get the impression over here that because they are destroying the property where they live, that they are destroying their own property. No. They can’t get to the man, so they get at what he owns. [Laughter] This doesn’t say it’s intelligent. But whoever heard of a sociological explosion that was done intelligently and politely? And this is what you’re trying to make the Black man do. You’re trying to drive him into a ghetto and make him the victim of every kind of unjust condition imaginable. Then when he explodes, you want him to explode politely! [Laughter] You want him to explode according to somebody’s ground rules. "

bluemax

« Reply #434 on: May 30, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
Yeah I know about it because SPD was one of the worst offendors and was hella shook by it all; constant whining in the press that it was unfair/etc. 

Fucking murdering pigs.

I remember watching the Seattle PD in action during the WTO protests when I was in HS. They were scum then and they're scum now. Sometimes I wonder if cops in liberal cities like Seattle, LA, SF, Portland are even scummier than other places just because they're overcompensating or something. I suppose it is more just that anyone who wants to be a cop is likely a piece of shit no matter where they live.
NO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #435 on: May 30, 2020, 01:37:49 PM »

That was Jon Bel Edwards in Louisiana.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
they're trying to dismantle the movement already, but we're less than 48 hours away from the start of another month and those pandemic checks have long since dried up. it's only gonna get hotter out here from this point on.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »

That was Jon Bel Edwards in Louisiana.

looks like i was misremembering a "Blue Alert" bill

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/19/obama-blue-alert-law-bill-signing/27578911/
The law requires the Justice Department to create a notification system relating to assaults on police officers, officers who are missing in the line of duty, and credible treats against law enforcement. The system is modeled after Amber Alerts for abducted children and Silver Alerts for missing seniors.
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
Yeah I know about it because SPD was one of the worst offendors and was hella shook by it all; constant whining in the press that it was unfair/etc. 

Fucking murdering pigs.

I remember watching the Seattle PD in action during the WTO protests when I was in HS. They were scum then and they're scum now. Sometimes I wonder if cops in liberal cities like Seattle, LA, SF, Portland are even scummier than other places just because they're overcompensating or something. I suppose it is more just that anyone who wants to be a cop is likely a piece of shit no matter where they live.

"Liberal" American cities are typically still segregated as hell and have their own histories of police abuse and racial strife. Maybe a bit less so for cities like Portland which were traditionally super white, but LA in particular is pretty notorious for this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:53:15 PM by Mandark »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
looks like i was misremembering a "Blue Alert" bill

There was a bill like the Louisiana one that got through the House with bipartisan support in 2018 but but the Senate never voted on it. Kinda surprised the GOP didn't go with it when they had the trifecta.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
sucks that the black leadership at some of these demonstrations isn’t considering the targeted destruction of property as a tactic, but that guy who got posted in that longer twitter thread is right: the demonstrations are still black spaces and they need to be entirely focused on accomplishing what the black people there want them to. and now sympathetic people are using the occasion, which should’ve been a solidarizing event, to prove what’s wrong with blm, or white anarchists, or whoever.

anyway, solid showing, but this is about the most solid of a showing you could possibly expect with virtually no organizational discipline and a weakly communicated statement of purpose. there needs to be some kind of push to integrate all this discontent, and they need to commit 100% to either nonviolence or war on the streets. also, there definitely are white nationalists out there trying to poison the well, i dont think we need to rachel maddow them into russian ops to admit this

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
sucks that the black leadership at some of these demonstrations isn’t considering the targeted destruction of property as a tactic

I'll be honest I think this is a cringe sentiment.

shosta

« Reply #442 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »
He said targeted!
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #443 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #444 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
I haven't been watching fake news just real live streams, has any politician said anything substantial, and more than just we need change?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #445 on: May 30, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »
He said targeted!

They already burned the Target.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
Get fucked, Louis :lol
It's not like the rebels have done such a great job over the past ~220 years.  :hmph
🤴

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
sucks that the black leadership at some of these demonstrations isn’t considering the targeted destruction of property as a tactic

I'll be honest I think this is a cringe sentiment.
i think it’s plausible that there are places where one fewer cop car would make it a better place :yeshrug

and for all the sneering at performative rioting or tourist terrorism, there is something to the galvanizing effect tearing down a statue or lighting a bank on fire might have in people who’ve felt powerless

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
i think it’s plausible that there are places where one fewer cop car would make it a better place

jake they can buy more cars

Dickie Dee

___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #451 on: May 30, 2020, 02:26:17 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #452 on: May 30, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
i think it’s plausible that there are places where one fewer cop car would make it a better place

jake they can buy more cars
and we can burn them, too! what are they gonna do, keep making the printers go brr? :heyman

:anhuld
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #453 on: May 30, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »
*burns cop cars*

*cop cars replaced in the middle of crippling austerity by further slashing municipal budget for social services*

surprisedpikachu.jpg

Dickie Dee

« Reply #454 on: May 30, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »
Soooo, head of Minneapolis Police Union is a White Nationalist.

https://twitter.com/Will_Bunch/status/1266790829412188160
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #455 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
If anything this shows that police need two cars each in case one catches on fire. 

shosta

« Reply #456 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »
i think it’s plausible that there are places where one fewer cop would make it a better place :yeshrug
fixed. maybe this will satisfy mandark
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #457 on: May 30, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
shosta flip-flopping on riots but staying consistent on backseat driving black activism

shosta

« Reply #458 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
shosta flip-flopping on riots but staying consistent on backseat driving black activism
all I ever complained about was the same thing Jake did, which is that they're not organized :yeshrug
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #459 on: May 30, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »
you also said you felt an aversion to property damage

...which explains why you'd suggest interpersonal violence rather than damaging a car

shosta

« Reply #460 on: May 30, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
I see you and I run straight in the other direction. This is a bubble.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #461 on: May 30, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
White people backseat drive activism like this

while black people backseat drive activism like this

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #462 on: May 30, 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
*burns cop cars*

*cop cars replaced in the middle of crippling austerity by further slashing municipal budget for social services*

surprisedpikachu.jpg

you say this like they don't slash social services and give the cash to cops even when crime is significantly down
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #463 on: May 30, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »
yeah

point is that burning a cop car isn't actually getting rid of it or decreasing police resources in any meaningful way

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #464 on: May 30, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »
true but it's inspirational nevertheless
pcp

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #465 on: May 30, 2020, 02:50:26 PM »
yeah

point is that burning a cop car isn't actually getting rid of it or decreasing police resources in any meaningful way

And what would get rid of or decrease police resources in a meaningful way?
Margs

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #466 on: May 30, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »
And what would get rid of or decrease police resources in a meaningful way?

lolwut

shosta

« Reply #467 on: May 30, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
wait, is Jake black

because I've been wondering this for a while
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #468 on: May 30, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
The second one is, not the first one

https://m.
[close]

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
wait, is Jake black

because I've been wondering this for a while
no

he's from Nola :lol
oh man, i wish

*burns cop cars*

surprisedpikachu.jpg
is this what the kids are calling ‘heightening the contradictions’?

shosta

« Reply #471 on: May 30, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Yeah, me too
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #474 on: May 30, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
Protesting is an antfi tactic. 

shosta

« Reply #475 on: May 30, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »
Summary: DOJ will start using federal laws to prosecute people who are from out of state and arrested during protests.

Can't wait for the entire counterterrorism apparatus to finally be directed against left wing organizations and protestors. Maybe they'll get to use those drones after all.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #476 on: May 30, 2020, 04:23:31 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen such an organized, uniform narrative change in such short order since....Idk I guess 9/11 or some other big terrorist event where a "this is what happened and why" story got pushed by the government and all media followed it immediately. No evidence offered, no proof given, now all the news outlets are running with the protests have been hijacked by radicals and the only difference between Fox/CNN/MSNBC right now is to what degree each network plays up the "left wing" aspect of it.

I think multiple groups are looking for a way to deescalate and this narrative gives them a pretty convenient offramp.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #477 on: May 30, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen such an organized, uniform narrative change in such short order since....Idk I guess 9/11 or some other big terrorist event where a "this is what happened and why" story got pushed by the government and all media followed it immediately. No evidence offered, no proof given, now all the news outlets are running with the protests have been hijacked by radicals and the only difference between Fox/CNN/MSNBC right now is to what degree each network plays up the "left wing" aspect of it.

I think multiple groups are looking for a way to deescalate and this narrative gives them a pretty convenient offramp.

I don't think that's going to work this time.
OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2020, 04:33:05 PM »
Why is the narrative "russia is sowing discord" again? :snoop

The fact the argument 'Russia is making us do it by posting mean stuff on Twitter' works on Americans actually makes me think that Russia might be making you guys do stuff by posting mean stuff on Twitter. 

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
Jake Tapper Tweeting this
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1266755788082761729
Retweeting that people were violating the First Amendment for yelling a Fox News correspondent out of a protest
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1266747517913399297

This is what happens when you're beholden to establishment clintonites and an opportunistic horserace media source for steady progress, comfortable personalities begin scolding the tone at which bad actors are screamed at.
Hi