Author Topic: Monster Hunter Rise  (Read 16542 times)

Tasty

Monster Hunter Rise
« on: January 07, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »

Demo out [tonight at 6pm ET]! It's got online multiplayer!!

...but it also only has two quests, you can only play a total of 30 times, and the demo goes away entirely in three weeks! Yay!!...? :P

Full release on Nintendo Switch this March 26, with a rumored PC version in the fall!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:03:53 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise · Demo with online multi out now! (4 weeks only)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 01:58:47 PM »
Nvm it's tomorrow  >:(

Potato

• Senior's Member
Is it a typical janky Monster Hunter mess or is it actually playable this time?
Spud

Tasty

New trailer!

Old trailers!

Tasty

Demo out tonight at 6pm ET apparently :rejoice

Bebpo

Do we know if stuff carries over to the full game?

Since MH is kind of a grind game don't want to put more than an hour into the demo otherwise.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
Not being able to play monster hunter well is a "you" problem, not a monster hunter problem

Since MH is kind of a grind game don't want to put more than an hour into the demo otherwise.
If it's like the iceborne demo, they might give a reward (item pack) for beating all the demo quests, but you won't be collecting loot. Typically these demos are so you can check out the new game mechanics/moves/monsters for fun. I'm really keen to fuck around with the new hammer stuff after watching a gaijinhunter video about it  :-[

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »
Demo out now! Downloading. :D

Also I forgot I already preordered the deluxe digital edition. :lol Nice surprise. :D

Can't wait for March 26!! :hyper

Tasty

Not being able to play monster hunter well is a "you" problem, not a monster hunter problem

exactly, get gud lmao

Bebpo

If it's like the iceborne demo, they might give a reward (item pack) for beating all the demo quests, but you won't be collecting loot. Typically these demos are so you can check out the new game mechanics/moves/monsters for fun. I'm really keen to fuck around with the new hammer stuff after watching a gaijinhunter video about it  :-[

Cool.

Yeah, so far I've only played 2 MH games, World+Iceborne & Generations Ultimate. Used Hammer for World/Iceborne & Longsword for GU. Will probably try a new weapon for Rise if I play it. But will check out the Hammer/Longsword changes since that's what I'm most familiar with.

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
I'll be sticking to the only weapon I've used since Tri: Greatsword :jeb

The POWER

Every game the weapons get more versatile and GS benefits from that the most. It's the same weapon but feels lightyears more maneuverable in GU than Tri lol.

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 08:35:49 PM »
I went to download this and reminded me that my Switch broke about a month or two ago and won't download things anymore  :-\

Ran into this when I bought Picross S1 and it was in my purchased/download list and I'd click download and it would say downloading but the icon wouldn't show up on the game bar and couldn't tell if it was actually downloading. At some point it finally downloaded and appeared.

Now I click download Rise demo and it says downloading but there's no icon showing download progress on the main game bar so idk. On google I get some hits of people running into this issue here and there, but no information on how to fix it besides someone recommending to factory reset the system which sounds like a pain.

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 08:47:33 PM »
:( That sucks. Never heard of that before

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
Ok, turned on switch and it downloaded. I think whatever the glitch issue is with my hardware it's that it's not showing download progress so the icon doesn't appear until the download is 100% finished and I can't see the download progress anywhere. Sucks but if it works, it works.

Might try the demo tonight.

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »
Holy shit this game is pretty :o

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 10:20:42 PM »

Fun stuff! Really smooth and looks gorgeous. Will tackle Mizutsune tomorrow. Playing with the Wirebug is a lot of fun! I miss Hunger Arts a little though.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 12:36:52 AM »

exactly, get gud lmao
I'd rather not fight the controls/rather play something competently designed. Same reason I hate Red Dead 2
Spud

remy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 01:06:26 AM »

I'd rather not fight the controls/rather play something competently designed. Same reason I hate Red Dead 2
Monster Hunter is the only competently designed game in it's genre  :smug

It is the most competently designed game. It's street fighter 2 as action RPG :smug

Bebpo

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 01:06:53 AM »
Seems alright. More of the same as usual.

The wirebug attacks are nice and will be really helpful for slower weapons like hammer. I also like that with hammer the UI indicates which of the two charge movesets you are in so you don't have to remember and pull out the wrong move.

Having a big open world is nice. Looks somewhere of a mix visually between World and GU. Going back to 30fps is pretty rough from 60fps World though.

I tried doing one quest Hammer, one Longsword and when I don't play Longsword for a while I always forget how to hit with your spirit attacks to get to the next damage tier/color so that wasn't so fun. Hammer with the new moves was great.

Oh and I'm not sold on new playable monsters thing. Feels really gimmicky and it seems like this game is going to want you to strategize fighting multiple monsters together so you can ride one and use it to attack the other. The problem is, at least from the tutorial monster, the monsters are not fun to play as and big and clunky. That works with these weapons you've gotten used to for all these games and adjust to the locked in movement, but having to "git gud" at essentially a new weapon type for each monster you ride just for those few moments of using them in a battle against another monster just feels like not fun.

Also I thought with major MH titles the idea was to add a new weapon or two each game. I guess since they're giving all the weapons like two new moves with the wirebug there's no new weapons?

A lot of MH is also the outside combat stuff, so game could be doing more interesting things there. I really, really like the skill system in Generations Ultimate. That and the higher monster count are the things I liked more in GU than World/Iceborne.

Anyhow, since I actually know how to play MH now I guess I'll jump on when it comes out and give it a shot. But from the demo, not sure if I'll stick with it. Might wait until MHW2 comes out.

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 01:15:04 AM »
And the map was ok. Looked nice but seemed like a lot of distance. Hopefully they are doing camp spots like World so you can start at different spots on the map. The map seems a lot less connected than the maps in World that let you get around to multiple places pretty quick.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 10:42:24 AM »
Things I want back from GU: Valstrax, Transmogrification

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise · Demo with online multi out now!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
r/MonsterHunter

The glorious BBQ Spit music makes its return! MH World did the theme dirty with a shortened medley but the biggest crime was the lack of 'SO TASTY!'.

And now it is back! :D

:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »
Knew something was weird, the demo doesn't have rumble. :thinking

And the hits don't feel as satisfying as GU for some reason. Did they remove the hit-stutter?

Fifstar

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 12:08:15 PM »
Game looks really great but the controls seem to be so complex. I had like no orientation in the battle. Is there a lock on mechanism? Player is also slooow. But for sure had a fascinating vibe from the 10 minutes I played. Looking forward to taking a deeper dive into the demo.
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
Game looks really great but the controls seem to be so complex. I had like no orientation in the battle. Is there a lock on mechanism? Player is also slooow. But for sure had a fascinating vibe from the 10 minutes I played. Looking forward to taking a deeper dive into the demo.

https://ag.hyperxgaming.com/article/11316/monster-hunter-rise-controls-guide

Clicking the right stick activates Target Cam on a monster, and then hitting L centers the camera on them.

The controls are complex but it mostly comes down to: basic movement, then knowing how and when to use items, then learning your weapon combos. It's doable. I'd ignore the Wirebug and the Palamute stuff for now since those are both new, additional complex subsystems.

Once you get item use and the menus down the game comes into its own. But you gotta play a bit to get used to it.

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »

My mind is lighting up with how dynamic and fluid this is going to make combat. 🤩

Also deleting your demo save file apparently resets the 30-play limit, not sure if they'll eventually patch that out tho.

Bebpo

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2021, 04:10:19 AM »
lol, game runs 756p docked / 540p portable. I thought this looked a lot less sharp than XX/GU which was 1080p/30fps docked, 720p portable. Port of a 3DS game and all that, but it looked fine.

Why do the keep trying to push visuals past what the system can do at 1080p/30fps. I guess they really figure Switch 2 will be out sooner than later and BC with these games.

Thinking I'll just wait for the PC release of Rise.

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »
Never took you for a graphics whore, bebps.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2021, 08:54:18 AM »
Ok, turned on switch and it downloaded. I think whatever the glitch issue is with my hardware it's that it's not showing download progress so the icon doesn't appear until the download is 100% finished and I can't see the download progress anywhere. Sucks but if it works, it works.

I've had this happen before once or twice- it seems to be an eShop issue.  It happened with this demo and a number of people reported it because of how many people accessed the eShop to get it- apparently this "broke" the shop, lol.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
lol, game runs 756p docked / 540p portable. I thought this looked a lot less sharp than XX/GU which was 1080p/30fps docked, 720p portable. Port of a 3DS game and all that, but it looked fine.

Why do the keep trying to push visuals past what the system can do at 1080p/30fps. I guess they really figure Switch 2 will be out sooner than later and BC with these games.

Get this already:

:bolo

The game definitely benefits from using the mClassic.  Am playing the demo at 720P docked and it's upscaling to a crisp, sharp 1080P beautifully.  Will try at 1440P next.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:02:18 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 09:17:43 AM »

exactly, get gud lmao

I know what you mean and movement feels smoother than the older games.  Try the demo!  :)
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
Looks pretty good at 1440P upscaled.  Not as sharp, but still nice!  I don't see a problem with the graphics at all but I can understand being put off if you've been playing World with its better frame rate.
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 12:47:30 PM »

Get this already:

(Image removed from quote.)

The game definitely benefits from using the mClassic.  Am playing the demo at 720P docked and it's upscaling to a crisp, sharp 1080P beautifully.  Will try at 1440P next.
So this actually helps? I've seen it on amazon, but assumed it was bullshit.

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »

nah, I like GU. Which is an upscaled 3ds game.

I just think Rise is kinda ugly. Played the demo a few more times and it's just not for me. The additions to the formula aren't what I'm looking for in MH.

I'll give it a chance when the pc version is out, but this definitely just makes me look forward to World 2 in a few years.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »

Get this already:

(Image removed from quote.)

So this actually helps? I've seen it on amazon, but assumed it was bullshit.

For the Switch (and older pre-PS4/Xbox One consoles), absolutely- it works great!  The trick with Switch is that you need to know what resolution the games run in docked and change the output to 720P or 1080P accordingly for the best results, but it's not a problem since you can go right to the home screen in-game, switch res, and go right back to the game in seconds.  It also is a matter of preference- the mClassic Youtube channel recommends running Switch games in 720P (on a 1440P monitor) and demonstrates it with Mario Kart, but I think Mario Kart looks better with 1080P enabled.  Either way, the image is perfect and it looks absolutely fantastic on my monitor.  Until we get something official from Nintendo, this adapter IS the "Switch Pro."

PS4 is where I haven't really seen it doing much.  It does work great on my 1440P monitor and lets the PS4 Pro run perfectly at 2560x1440, but I just found out that my monitor is able to downscale from 4K, so I likely don't need it for that.  That's OK since it's a must for the Switch.

The mClassic is pretty much made for 3D games and will make 2D games look a little blurrier (or like they have a smoothing filter applied), but the adapter has a switch that allows you to turn off the scaling if you don't like the picture.  It also has a "classic" setting that will force a 4:3 aspect ratio if you're using an older console.

I haven't tried it on a 4K TV yet- just got a new Switch dock so I can finally see how that works.

Definitely recommend checking out the mClassic, especially since it's on Amazon and can be easily returned if you don't like it.
:itagaki
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 04:14:09 PM »
Just tried the Rise demo on my 55" 4K TV with the mClassic- looks great!  Rise with the Switch set to 1080P looks clean and sharp.  At a proper viewing distance (not sitting right up close!), it's really hard to see any aliasing!  The game at 720P has better AA from the mClassic, but doesn't look as sharp, so will probably stick with 1080P. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »

nah, I like GU. Which is an upscaled 3ds game.

I just think Rise is kinda ugly. Played the demo a few more times and it's just not for me. The additions to the formula aren't what I'm looking for in MH.

I'll give it a chance when the pc version is out, but this definitely just makes me look forward to World 2 in a few years.

I think I'll wanna keep playing GU so let me know if you do, game is a lot of fun. :D

I also think you're underestimating Spidermaning in combat, I know I'm way underutilizing it right now, but it's gonna take dozens of hours to get used to that new subsystem.

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/02/capcom_reveals_the_most_used_weapon_in_the_monster_hunter_rise_demo

https://twitter.com/MH_Rise_JP/status/1356922882748784640

Coming in at number one is the Long Sword - which was used by 19.1% of players. In second place was the Great Sword - used by 9.7% of players, and in third was the Hunting Horn - 9.6% of players went with this one.

Great Sword Best Sword

Bebpo

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »
I'm surprised so many people play Hunting Horn.

From what I gather, it's basically the MMO white mage/support role as opposed to damage dealing. Good for MP, boring for SP. I'd assume in a game like this people just want to deal as much damage as possible.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »
hunting horn is a great weapon, the boring part is that it has fewer combos since a lot of what it does is for setting up and playing buff music

but for some people, fewer combos is actually not boring, it's just easier to remember all your moves

if I remember right it's not even weaker, it's not like they give you the buffs which you have to use in order to reach the same level of damage/competency as any other weapon, no it's straight up powerful PLUS buffs on top
:rejoice
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »
All the weapons have great risk/reward balancing.

remy

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm surprised so many people play Hunting Horn.

From what I gather, it's basically the MMO white mage/support role as opposed to damage dealing. Good for MP, boring for SP. I'd assume in a game like this people just want to deal as much damage as possible.
On paper, hunting horn seems to be a "support" weapon, where you would sit back and buff the party, but playing your buff songs does a pretty hefty attack that does great damage and stun, so you might as well get in and brawl with monsters, at which point it becomes a weird hammer with interesting situational attacks, like uncle said, it's a good weapon that also happens to make everyone else's life easier too. Especially since iceborne it dishes out pretty respectable damage on it's own.

I think the reason the Horn player count is so high in the rise demo though is that it got a complete rework. I imagine all the the MH vets were scratching their chins experimenting with the new moveset.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
a team of all hunting horn users with different horns and thus different buffs, so you all constantly have high attack, high defense, earplugs, stamina buff, resistances, antidote
:whew

also traditionally only the hammer was blunt to KO monster faces and everything else was sharp to cut monster tails, the horn is the only weapon that can do both
:whoo
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 07:42:57 PM »
Hunting Horn users: "Hope everyone enjoys this buff!"

Me, a GS user: "Oh shit sorry for launching you in the air (again) 😬"

remy

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:51 PM »
a team of all hunting horn users with different horns and thus different buffs, so you all constantly have high attack, high defense, earplugs, stamina buff, resistances, antidote
:whew

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:11 PM »
Played the demo some more tonight. Getting more used to the Wirebug and integrating it into combat. Skillbind attacks can be a bit OP if you know how to use them (in the demo anyways, I'm sure the final game will be more balanced.) Even locked to just two wire charges in the demo (going up to 3+ with endemic life), the added flexibility is hard to get a handle on at first. This mechanic opens up so much freedom of movement in every aspect of play and even though my clunky ass fingers aren't handling it great right now, I know I have a high skill ceiling here to look forward to. The YouTube vids of Japanese players pulling shit off a week after launch are gonna be insane, mark my words.

Monster vs Monster fights are a fun aside but they're really just excuses for a lot of free damage, seemingly. I can imagine this mechanic being reigned back a bit in the later stage of the game.

All the QoL improvements, seemingly from world (instant loot/item pickup, walk while consuming, instant subquest delivery, infinite whetstone, etc.) are pretty nice. Not as sold on the damage counts, instant tracking (no paintballs), or a few other points from older games, but I'll deal. The game feels like a much more polished package than GU, but that's to be expected lol. I don't miss separate zones as much as I thought, but that may be down to the implementation here... There's still distinct, separated areas, but there's no loading screen between them now. I would absolutely love if they somehow remade some older maps in this style, particularly Deserted Island from Tri.

I really, really love doggo. 😍 Not only is he infinite stamina, not only can he drift, not only can he run up vines without breaking a sweat, not only can you consume items while riding... but you can even sharpen on a whetstone at full speed. 😍 Dismounting into an attack is satisfying as hell. Not sure about fighting while riding but could be fun.

Looking forward to the full game (have deluxe edition preordered. 🤩)

Tasty

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 11:31:12 PM »
Informative vids:

Tasty

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 12:07:33 AM »
For bork:

^ setting: 1080p

^ setting: 720p

mClassic looks better overall but more contrasty as well. Looks a bit more like GU actually lol, the resolution is hiding some of the textures.

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 12:20:43 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
Goddamn, I think I need an mClassic

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »

I told you!

It's absolutely worth the purchase and makes 3D games look fantastic on higher-resolution displays.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »

I told you!

It's absolutely worth the purchase and makes 3D games look fantastic on higher-resolution displays.

What about normal-ass 1080p HDTVs?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2021, 10:42:33 PM »

I told you!

What about normal-ass 1080p HDTVs?

Hard for me to say because I've used it on a 27" 1080P monitor, a 27" 1440P monitor, and a 55" 4K TV.  With the latter two, the mClassic's enhancements are instantly noticeable.  Seems less so on the 1080P monitor (just makes it look more saturated and some games have a little less of an aliased look), but it might look way more noticeable if you have say, a 40" or larger TV.  I have a 42" 1080P in our bedroom that I can try it out with, come to think of it.
:thinking

Let me try testing it.  I want to say the mClassic is made for 1440P or higher, however.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
I still wonder if taking turns with MH games like this is gonna bite Capcom in the ass.

I saw their earning call today talking about how MHW Iceborne sales are still insane. People are chomping at the bits for MHW and they're basically going full in on Rise for a couple years until MHW2 in 2023. Just wonder if the 5-6 year gap between MHW/Iceborne and MHW2 is gonna cause a lot of people to lose interest and drop off.

Rise seems cool, but it's definitely not a MHW substitute for the people who are into World. Also their earnings call said something 70% of MonHun sales come from outside Japan these days.

El Babua

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2021, 12:34:48 AM »
Yeah this is probably Capcom trying to do right by the Japanese market since no one there plays on any console other than the Switch these days. I can see this even selling 10 million units in Japan alone.

I don't think sales of the MHW sequel will be affected too negatively by it coming in 2023.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2021, 09:10:46 AM »
one thing I'm not looking forward to with rise is I expect it will be the western market's first taste of the traditional MH double dip, i.e. monster hunter rise G in a year with more monsters added

it was nice only getting the later improved version of the games for so long, knowing you got the definitive game

of course if they can do it as dlc that would be acceptable! just don't want to buy a majority same game again and start from nothing
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2021, 09:52:18 AM »
one thing I'm not looking forward to with rise is I expect it will be the western market's first taste of the traditional MH double dip, i.e. monster hunter rise G in a year with more monsters added

it was nice only getting the later improved version of the games for so long, knowing you got the definitive game

of course if they can do it as dlc that would be acceptable! just don't want to buy a majority same game again and start from nothing

World's "G" is Iceborne and I would expect that model to continue for Rise. I could be wrong, though.

I don't think World will be too negatively affected. And I mean... it's already sold a fuckton and is far and away the best selling game in the series. Even if Rise outright kills World's sales going forward (which I highly doubt, considering the two games don't share single platform yet), it'll still be worth it in Capcom's eyes because World has already justified its investment, while Rise has yet to.

And yeah, I kinda expect this game to be a monster. At least close to Nintendo's first party stuff if not eclipsing some of the lesser/mid-tier franchises.

Tasty

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Kinda addicted to the Rise demo. Really fun once you get the hang of doggo and the wirebug. Also getting the hang of the Great Sword's new(?) "shoulder shove" when charging the blade, as well as the insanely convenient new circle item wheel (another great World QoL improvement, I bet.) I also love instant crafting (if I understand 2 Herbs instantly becoming 2 Potions correctly.)

Skillbind attacks (AKA using the wirebug when your weapon is drawn) are great, apparently somewhat different for each weapon. This is actually pretty much Hunter Arts from GU just recontextualized. For instance, for Great Sword ZL+A move is a medium-length dodge using wirebug, sheath weapon, and then get an attack boost. This is exactly two GS Hunter Arts from GU combined (Absolute Evasion and Lion's Maw.) Both ZL+A and ZL+X (a kind of jumping slash) attacks are slower than the equivalent GU Hunter Arts, but it's acceptable considering the other maneuverability options the wirebug grants.

Very happy to see one of the best things about GU make it into Rise, even if it is technically a different gameplay system. Considering...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Valstrax is apparently in the game according to leaks
[close]

...that just makes transmogrification (take two armor sets: take the stats from one, and the appearance of the other, and combine them) remaining as the last key GU feature I want in.

Will probably play the demo out (I got 25 more tries) unless Rise comes out first. Really excited for the final release, and I really wish the demo's online still worked lmao.