Author Topic: Monster Hunter Rise  (Read 16539 times)

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2021, 09:59:14 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 09:22:13 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 10:46:27 PM »

:wong

Best Mizu time is ~41m so far. Did Rath(ian) last night and she was fun as always if a bit easy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:58:54 PM by Tasty »

Bebpo

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »
Wait, what. 41 minutes?

That seems...long. I don't remember Mizutsune in GU taking any longer than usual for boss monsters, so about 10-15 minutes and I swear nothing in World outside the final bosses takes more than like 20 mins solo.

I guess you're just really underpowered the demo?

I got bored of the Rise demo first night because I realized I don't like MH when I can't make my own gear set & bring my own items & meals to adjust to the monster I'm fighting. I find the pre-set stuff like the arena in world kinda dry. Never bothered to finish Mizutsune on it.

Tasty

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »
I'm still learning the systems and also fucking around with endemic life lol. And I dunno what the single vs multi scaling there is in the demo, if any.

I also might just be bad. Still having fun. :trumps

Bebpo

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 11:22:54 PM »
Nah, probably just because the crappy gear they give you.

I mean you die in like 2 hits or something when I tried it. I swear with good gear like nothing does that even endgame in most MH games. So felt pretty bullshit to me.

Tasty

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
Nah, probably just because the crappy gear they give you.

I mean you die in like 2 hits or something when I tried it. I swear with good gear like nothing does that even endgame in most MH games. So felt pretty bullshit to me.

It's more like three good hits and you're dead (though maybe the elemental resistance on the GS build differs from others?)

I don't disagree the armor might be BS, but honestly my feeling is... a new MH game should kick your ass. At least a little? :P Playing the Rise demo for the first time was a bit like the Tri demo back in the day. I almost timed out on the easy quest for Rise and I think I carted a few times. :doge

Meanwhile in GU I'm taking on high rank Elder Dragons and climbing the HR ladder. I definitely agree that Mizutsune usually takes much less time when you're playing with your own armor in the proper rank, but the thing with Mizu there usually isn't trying to be the strongest monster of the tier. Here, in the demo, Mizu is positioned as "the hard quest." So that probably scaled things differently compared to the final game too, I bet.

Dying in 2-3 hits is actually forcing me to re-learn the specifics of all the GS attacks/animations/etc. (the Valor hunter style in GU plays differently from stock GS) and it's been a lot of fun. I'm already pretty familiar with all the attacks and animations for Mizu and most of the rest of the demo monsters.

Wirebugging around raging Mizu six ways to Sunday while it's firing ice beams and shit all over the place be like:

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
And then CHARGED ZR+X:

> Mizutsune: Parts broken!

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2021, 11:11:49 AM »

I'm not one for meme videos but this one had me rolling :dead

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »

Mermaid Fish Bitch lookin' fun :hyper Also for Bebpo seems like this one only took 10 mins, wonder if it's from an actual review build which would more resemble the final game... Should be going gold soon, I would think (release is in 6 weeks.)

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »

Game feels better to play the more I play it. :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2021, 11:29:55 PM »
And then CHARGED ZR+X:

To demonstrate:

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2021, 09:48:24 PM »
And then CHARGED ZR+X:

To demonstrate:

This is the good shit. I can't wait to really drill into the systems in this game.

Tasty

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »

Here you go bebps. Unlike me if you git gud you can do it in under 10 mins. :P

I'd personally settle for under 30m right now. :-[

:whew I feel like I've already become a vastly better Greatsword player just playing this demo lol. I wanna be ready for the launch! 😤

Tasty

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2021, 07:14:41 PM »
Quote from: Tasty
I'd personally settle for under 30m right now. :-[

(27:51)

:D

Bebpo

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
GJ!

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »
GJ!

Thanks! Promise you'll get it on release so we can hunt together :uguu

Tasty

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »

(28:21) 1 / 3 Faints... >_>

OK last one for a while lol. I might do a compilation video, playing the demo is so fun...

Beezy

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
Should I even bother getting Generations Ultimate with this one launching so soon?

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
Should I even bother getting Generations Ultimate with this one launching so soon?

Depends what you like in MH. If you started with World, it's probably not for you.

Beezy

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
I haven't 'started' MH at all really. I played World for like an hour or two on Gamepass last year just to try it out.

Tasty

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2021, 06:07:06 PM »
I haven't 'started' MH at all really. I played World for like an hour or two on Gamepass last year just to try it out.

Ah. Yeah GU would throw way too much at you way too fast and very much feels like a 3DS port. There's no story or even tutorials really, you're pretty much thrown into things  from the start since they assume you've played the others. (Generations was kind of a victory lap/celebration game for the MH Portable team while World was being prepped by a different team.)

That said, it represents the biggest and best of "old school*" MH. The most monsters. The most maps. The most "stuff." It's extremely packed to the gills, honoring its "Ultimate" namesake just as well as Smash has. And if you get a handle on all the mechanics and gameplay systems GU offers, World/Rise/future games will be cake to learn lol.

If I were you I would definitely get World or wait for Rise. I'd recommend Rise's demo but Capcom pulled some Mario Anniversary bullshit and delisted it at the start of the month (along with disabling the online.) :maf MHGU's demo is available but be aware it will not leave a good first impression on a MH newbie.

* Some MH diehards will chafe at anything not gen 1/2 being called "classic/old school MH" but they honestly need to get over it; World/Rise represent "new" MH and the rest is thus "old." :P

Bebpo

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »

Depends on how dead the online is.

GU is really fast paced in progression & gameplay and has an insane amount of content. Solo always, always, always sucks in MH. Solo MH will make you dislike MH.

I like MP in World because it's so easy and you can even just hop into an already in progress mission or put up a flare and people will join your mission. GU is more traditional get in a lobby with 3 other people and then select and pick missions to go on.

Solo fights are like = grind for 20-30 mins on a monster
4p fights are like = beat the crap out of a monster in 5-10 mins and get loot

MH are also mostly loot games. It's all about upgrading your gear and weapons into cool looking and cool stat stuff and then kicking ass. The games are slow at the start because it takes a bit to get to the point where you're grinding lots of monsters and getting lots of mats quickly.

Rise should be good. If it kills GU online lobbies, which makes sense it would, I'd probably go with Rise.

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »
Never had a problem finding players to join up in High Rank, even after Rise media started hitting.

Could be dead as a doornail come Rise's release, but I'd expect most Switch-only MH fans to be hitting GU's online pretty good right now.

Tasty

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
Solo MH will make you dislike MH.

LMAO 90% of my playtime is solo/single-player.

And having both Doggo and Kitty with you in Rise's single-player already makes it superior to multi, where you have to choose one or the other. :'(

remy

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2021, 07:10:54 PM »
I also play single player more than multiplayer  :lol

I acknowledge multi is "more fun" but I basically got into MH on 3DS so if I play with other people I feel like I'm cheating because its too easy  :doge I'm a ridiculous person :doge I'll multi after I beat the monster solo at least once

Bebpo

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »
It does feel a bit like cheating, but solo is just so goddamn slow with the HP pools.

Most of my time playing MH is just grinding certain enemies to get certain drops and I just want to get them as fast as possible so I can make my big sword. Once I went MP could never go back to solo in MH.

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
My problem with multi is I've never felt particularly great at the game and I know high rank MH players have certain expectations of teammates, of which I am mostly (and deliberately) ignorant.

I tend to avoid multi in general tho, for generally the same reason. Much more carefree to go at your own pace and not worry if your DPS tanking strategy isn't optimal or whatever.

If I cart twice in single it's no big deal.

If I cart twice in multi I might as well kill myself, lol.

Beezy

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2021, 08:20:17 PM »
Thanks, I'll skip Ultimate and put some time into World.

Bebpo

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2021, 08:36:52 PM »
My problem with multi is I've never felt particularly great at the game and I know high rank MH players have certain expectations of teammates, of which I am mostly (and deliberately) ignorant.

I tend to avoid multi in general tho, for generally the same reason. Much more carefree to go at your own pace and not worry if your DPS tanking strategy isn't optimal or whatever.

If I cart twice in single it's no big deal.

If I cart twice in multi I might as well kill myself, lol.

idk, all my experience playing World and GU was that no one cares.

Unless you're carting enough to tank the team consistently no one cares when someone carts. Also there is zero expectations of other players being good. Most of my MP time some of the players are running around like idiots but no one really cares. 4 player only has like 2.5x HP for the monsters, so even with 1 player doing 0 damage (which won't happen) you're still killing the monster faster than solo.

Plus with 3 players and the monster focusing on one player and letting the other 2 wail on him, your uptime for damage dealing is much higher for those 2 people than you would in solo, another reason why you're killing the monsters faster.

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2021, 09:23:43 PM »
idk, all my experience playing World and GU was that no one cares.

I care! :bolo

THE GUILT :stahp

THE SHAME :brazilcry

World's online playerbase being more accepting than what I'd typically expect in MH makes sense to me, it's a more popular game with more players and thus many more newbies.

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2021, 09:24:57 PM »
dcharlie and others might have actually inflicted real psychological damage chiding me when I was first getting into the series. :doge :lol

"You only like it cause it's on Nintendo and for babbies now." :stahp

"You didn't even know Rathian was female? Pathetic. :snob"

remy

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2021, 09:51:26 PM »
I did run into one guy using a parser (that I know of) on the pc version that shit talked my GF's hunting horn DPS  :doge

remy

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2021, 10:18:48 PM »
I used to parse in ffxiv, but only to see that my own dps as a tank was up to par with what it should have been in ex trials and get a semi when I saw it was higher than one of the dps players.  I don't really get using it in MH where there are very few strict dps check wipes. it doesn't really matter if the run is a cople mins slower :-\
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:23:15 PM by remy »

Bebpo

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2021, 11:32:34 PM »
I did run into one guy using a parser (that I know of) on the pc version that shit talked my GF's hunting horn DPS  :doge

lol, I can see this being a thing but I also just laugh at anyone who cares someone is doing slower DPS in MH.

To me MH is just about looking flashy with elemental weapons doing BIG HEAD HITS where you miss half the time but land the other half with a nice big crunch and everyone goes WOAH NICE HIT and then all wails on the downed enemy for 20 seconds.

remy

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2021, 11:59:16 PM »
100% the game is all about that feeling you get when a true charged slash or whatever hits just right and the monster that has been riding your ass gets sent reeling and everyone dogpiles it

i feel like all the other design decisions are around making those moments as dope as possible

Tasty

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2021, 08:52:27 PM »

Yo I can't wait to fight Goss Harag. First monster in a long time where I watch a clip of his gameplay for the first time and go "YES, this is a great addition to the series." Some purists might not like a "humanoid" type monster but it skates the line without stepping over it IMO.

I also love that all the new additions fit the Japanese folklore theme. This game feels thematically coherent in a way that I haven't seen since the vanilla release of Tri. (Haven't played World/IB.) Very exciting!

Tasty

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2021, 07:19:29 PM »

:wong :titus :crazy :lucas :whew

Tasty

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2021, 07:40:31 PM »

Looks like I'm getting some Amiibo.

If anyone asks, they're high quality imported figurines, not videogame toy NFC things. >_>

I’m also getting that special Pro Controller for sure. :drool

Bebpo

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
My friend said him and his PC MHW crew are jumping into Rise Switch next month, which kinda surprised me since for World & Iceborne they waited for the late PC version.

I guess between them and Tasty I'll have enough motivation to pick this up next month. Still not sure what weapon I'll use. I like how buffed Hammer is, but it's just kind of boring playing the same weapon every game. I was thinking about playing Bow for something pretty different than Hammer knockdowns and Longsword anime counters, but I tried Bow in the Rise demo and it seemed...underwhelming.

Tasty

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2021, 09:10:18 PM »
Yesss bebps :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »
Also I can't aim for shit in videogames, so bow is probably a bad idea for me.

Maybe insect glaive? Seems kinda repetitive with the new bug system which gives everyone what made the glaive unique. Hunting Horn feels too much like a hammer so might as well just play Hammer if I'm gonna go that route. Greatsword basically is just the Longsword x Hammer.

Maybe sword and shield? Lance & shield? I could see Lance being fun. Not sure the point of a shield in MH when you can roll dodge everything tho. Especially now with the bug dodges.

Tasty

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2021, 09:44:41 PM »
Dual Blades? They're probably the next one I'll try. (They're what I originally wanted to main when I got into MH, because they reminded me of Kite from dot hack, but Tri left them out! So I went to Long Sword in the demo, before settling on Greatsword in the retail release. The rest is history. :P)

Maybe try Hunting Horn for something different? Apparently it's super buffed in Rise.

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2021, 11:05:41 PM »

:mindblown Meanwhile I'm sill trying to crack 20m lmao.

Tasty

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
Confirmed monsters:

1. Rathian
2. Rathalos
3. Khezu
4. Basarios
5. Tigrex
6. Barioth
7. Royal Ludroth
8. Great Baggi
9. Great Wroggi
10. Arzuros
11. Lagombi
12. Mizutsune
13. Anjanath
14. Pukei-Pukei
15. Kulu-Ya-Ku
16. Jyuratodus
17. Tobi-Kadachi
18. Great Izuchi
19. Aknosom
20. Tetranadon
21. Magnamalo
22. Rakna-kadaki
23. Somnacanth
24. Bishaten
25. Goss Harag
26. Rajang
27. Diablos
28. Volvidon
29. Almudron

Tasty

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2021, 09:21:40 PM »

My best time so far is 27:33.

Tasty

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »

23:19! Used literally everything including the endemic life spider thing, hard to imagine cutting it down much more than this. Actually, I think I had one pitfall trap left... Hmm...

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
https://monsterhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Sandy_Plains_(Rise)

The Sandy Plains is an area first introduced in Monster Hunter 3, but remade in Monster Hunter Rise.

:wong

They really catering to Tri/3 Ultimate players and I am living for it :lawd

Edit-

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:00:16 AM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
Capcom will release Monster Hunter Rise for PC in early 2022, producer Ryozo Tsujimoto confirmed in a new round of press interviews with outlets such as Fanbyte and GAME Watch.

The PC version is “still very much in development,” according to Tsujimoto. Further details will be announced when they are available.

The Switch version of Monster Hunter Rise will launch on March 26 worldwide.
ど助平

remy

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
a whole year? fucking Capcom  :stahp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »

If it was coming out around the same time, I'd just wait, but I'll get this on Switch.  Plus knowing Capcom, an expansion or new version of the game will come out right when the vanilla version is released for PC.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »

If it was coming out around the same time, I'd just wait, but I'll get this on Switch.  Plus knowing Capcom, an expansion or new version of the game will come out right when the vanilla version is released for PC.  :doge

100% that's what I'm expecting.

MH Ultimate Rise, March 2022 for Switch Pro (lead SKU) March 2023 for PC

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
So is the main story in this single-player only? While MP is for guild missions or whatever they’re called?
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
I'm glad the game will live on PC though, that's fantastic for mods and preservation. 16K and private servers come 2031 baybee. 8)

Glad it has a year to breath on Switch first though. I'm gonna play the fuck out of this game. :D

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
So is the main story in this single-player only? While MP is for guild missions or whatever they’re called?

That's how things were in classic MH but World changed things I think, you can share cutscenes and story missions maybe?

Tasty

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 02:28:21 PM »

It's just like Moga :gladbron

I'm cumming :noah

Bebpo

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »

That's how things were in classic MH but World changed things I think, you can share cutscenes and story missions maybe?

Yeah, pretty sure they're not going back.
Or at least that would get me to not join in.

The way World works is for the main story missions you start the mission solo and watch any cutscene and once you're in a mission it says SOS available and you can put down a multiplayer in-game-progress join flare and real quick 3 other people will join your mission. Or you can quit out after watching the intro cutscene and just start it as an MP mission.

This way all the SP main story fights you can do multi. Hopefully Rise is the same.

The only time in the main story in World you ever didn't want to do them multi is like the final boss because it's a long fight and people cart and it can be pretty hard to pass multi and easier solo.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
I played a lot of MHW/IB, I know how it works.

Anyways, it seems they went back to the old system for Rise if these are to be believed.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/monster-hunter-rise-has-separate-solo-and-co-op-quests-and-cutscenes-can-be-skipped-605942.phtml

https://amp.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/j6hb08/so_mh_rise_is_apparently_returning_to_the/

On an objective level, it’s a stupid step back. On a personal level it weirdly works for me. Now I can play the story at my own pace without feeling like I’m either far ahead, or holding everyone back like in World.
Margs