Author Topic: Monster Hunter Rise  (Read 16537 times)

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
On an objective level, it's objectively better for portables which is what this is mostly targeting.

And I'm more used to it coming from 3U, 4U, and GU so hey, all the better. :idont

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »

Hit 30 tries on the demo last night and reset my save to get more

Give this game to me, I need it brehs :rkelly

Tasty

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »
Just watched it. :gladbron

- The boys Zinogre and Nargacuga are back :lawd
- Town/Hub quest split confirmed :larry
- Drop-in/out online multiplayer at any time  :whoo
- Paid DLC for face paint and hunter voices? :confused
- Free DLC for monsters, unlocked HR cap, and "other features" in April  :whew
- Demo Version 2 is out this Thursday with Magnamalo!!  :delicious

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise · 2nd demo with online and Magnamalo on Thursday!
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »

Rise info starts at ~7:15. LOTS of good details. :D

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »

- Demo Version 2 is out this Thursday with Magnamalo!!  :delicious

:leon
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »
Confirmed monsters:

1. Rathian
2. Rathalos
3. Khezu
4. Basarios
5. Tigrex
6. Barioth
7. Royal Ludroth
8. Great Baggi
9. Great Wroggi
10. Arzuros
11. Lagombi
12. Mizutsune
13. Anjanath
14. Pukei-Pukei
15. Kulu-Ya-Ku
16. Jyuratodus
17. Tobi-Kadachi
18. Great Izuchi
19. Aknosom
20. Tetranadon
21. Magnamalo
22. Rakna-kadaki
23. Somnacanth
24. Bishaten
25. Goss Harag
26. Rajang
27. Diablos
28. Volvidon
29. Almudron

+

30. Zinogre
31. Nargacuga
32. Barroth
33. Chameleos (free April DLC)
34. Untitled elder dragon at the end of the last trailer

+

"multiple" coming in free updates within mere weeks of the game's release

Tasty

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Apparently today's YouTube stream of the MH digital event had people in the chat shitting on the game's director, making fun of pauses in his speech and the console exclusivity. :-\ People suck.

Tasty

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
*boot up Switch*

*excitedly try to update demo to Version 2*

*bubkus*

https://www.dualshockers.com/what-time-does-monster-hunter-rise-demo-come-out/

While Capcom has yet to give any official times, that gives us a window in which we can expect the demo to release. It’s likely to be somewhere between 4 pm PT/7 pm ET and 9 pm PT/ Midnight ET. That way, it ticks the boxes of releasing in the US on March 11 and Europe on March 12.

Tasty

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »

Downloading now!

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise · 2nd demo with online and Magnamalo out now!
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2021, 09:27:26 PM »
This demo is no fuckin' joke btw. End-game boss monster + 15 minute timer = git gud scrubs (even me! :omg)

Getting your ass beat by some mon' and coming back later to lay the smackdown on that bitch :lawd :whew

Tasty

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
Less than two weeks left! :gladbron

Tasty

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »

Tasty

Re: Monster Hunter Rise · LAUNCH WEEK IS HERE!
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »
WOKE UP TO FIND THAT THIS HAD ALREADY PRELOADED ON MY SWITCH

Tasty

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »

REVIEWS ARE HITTING(?!)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:42 PM »
This is reviewing pretty favorably.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »
This is reviewing pretty favorably.

Already cumming and the game isn't even out yet :lawd

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
Eurogamer said something like "this is as good as videogames get"

i'm gonna beat my god damn dicc off

Bebpo

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2021, 11:39:28 PM »
Don't really understand the reviews when it's just another Monster Hunter, same gameplay loop, even same monsters for a lot of it, same weapons with some new moves. It's got nice new mobility options and some new monsters, but also has worse graphics than the last one and I'd be surprised if the multiplayer wasn't worse.

I guess the story could be better? But who plays MH for the story.

Still pre-ordered it. But have zero hype going into this from the demo which I didn't like and just seemed less fun than World/Iceborne/GU and I didn't care for the visuals. But will give the full game a chance. Just surprised at how positive the reviews in the west are.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2021, 11:55:09 PM »
I'm getting the feeling this well sell the same amount or a lot more than World. It might also be a gang bang regarding sales and word of mouth. There isn't a lot of new AAA games recently, combined with there being a huge multiplayer/social aspect,

I recently got back into World. Monster Hunter has fantastic combat and monster designs, it's that learning curve and really bad first impression (a problem World has, can't speak for other MH games).
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2021, 12:15:34 AM »
Just read that there's no endgame or even ending at launch? Ending and final boss coming in title update #2, endgame at some point or G rank.

At least it sounds like it'll be a short game to blow through. World/Iceborne/GU took me about 30-50 hours each over a couple weeks to get to endgame. Thinking about going Lance or Gunlance for this one for something new.

Svejk

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »
Nintendo fans are some thirsty ass folks I guess.  :doge
Tried the demo for a hot second after all the crazy high reviews... Just made me want to go back and play MHW if anything.
Hard to justify full price for this atm.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »
Tried the demo for a hot second after all the crazy high reviews... Just made me want to go back and play MHW if anything.

Yeah, yeah.  Go play Odyssey already.
:ufup
ど助平

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2021, 12:04:48 PM »
I'd say Monster Hunter is reaching a similar popularity in the West/Europe versus Japan. World solidified that and Rise is gonna be a huge hit. From what I've gathered too, Monster Hunter fans are pretty loyal to following wherever the franchise goes.
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2021, 05:12:59 PM »

I'm glad to hear World will continue to see player support. :)

It took me trying the demo about 3-4 times and watching a video tutorial on the Wirebug before I really settled into the mechanics. Between that mechanic and Doggo it's really really fun to get around the map. Until I did that I wasn't having much fun and was too used to Generations Ultimate. Now I have 20 hours logged in the demo. :P

The new Rise-exclusive monsters all look impeccable to me. Almudron and Goss Harag in particular are already favorites of mine. And not to dick measure with monster counts, but vanilla World launched with only 31 large monsters while Rise is launching with 58+ e- ~40. On that alone, the full price is "justified." World is obviously a great game of course, but it's clear why this is reviewing so well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:22:16 PM by Tasty »

Bebpo

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2021, 05:15:51 PM »

I'm glad to hear World will continue to see player support. :)

It took me trying the demo about 3-4 times and watching a video tutorial on the Wirebug before I really settled into the mechanics. Between that mechanic and Doggo it's really fun to get around the map. Until I did that I wasn't having much fun and was too used to Generations Ultimate. Now I have 20 hours logged in the demo. :P

The new Rise-exclusive monsters all look impeccable to me. Almudron and Goss Harag in particular are already favorites of mine. And not to dick measure with monster counts, but vanilla World launched with only 31 large monsters while Rise is launching with 58+. On that alone, the full price is "justified." World is obviously a great game of course, but it's clear why this is reviewing so well.

Umm, on era even the Rise defenders are saying 37 in Rise at launch and if leaks are correct, which may or may not be (as they were wrong with World), it would be 40 from the leaked list. Dunno where you're getting 58+

Tasty

« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2021, 05:21:02 PM »
:thinking I had it as 50 at first which is what I thought the final tally was, then got some bad Reddit info. :trumps

I still find the line "hard to justify full price" to be ridiculous on its face.

Bebpo

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2021, 05:31:50 PM »
Yeah, no it's definitely full fledged title with more content than World by a little.

I think I'd be more hype for this if I liked the wirebug system which is the #1 main biggest draw of this one. I'm weird and don't enjoy the new wirebug moves. I also don't like the new monster controlling mechanics. So I'll just stick to stabbing monsters and let my teammates do that stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2021, 05:35:53 PM »
I'm not sure how deep the Switch Skill system is but I have to believe there's support for a lot of playstyles, including one that might be more fun for you than what was locked into the demo. Spending more time with the system will help a bit in general too.

Monster controlling, from my perspective, is basically a re-implementation of the MH4+ mounting mechanic, just with some more (ignorable) flexibility in movement. You can "mount" and "finish off" monsters in roughly the same time if you're rushing in both games it feels like. It's definitely not deep enough to be a highlight feature or anything (despite Capcom's marketing), but it is a fairly show-off-y way of scoring big damage 2-3x a hunt.

And Capcom increasingly seems to be pushing the series in a more flashy, actiony, DMC-y direction. Starting with MH4 mounting, then Hunter Arts in Generation, to I assume the Clutch Claw in World... Some of the Wirebug moves feel very "character action game" to me (not to mention, traversal and wall-running.)

Svejk

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »
:thinking I had it as 50 at first which is what I thought the final tally was, then got some bad Reddit info. :trumps

I still find the line "hard to justify full price" to be ridiculous on its face.
I only justify this line because as I've already dumped more $$$ on the Switch in 2 weeks than I have with the months of having a PS5... And all I've played on the Switch is about an hour's worth of demos and 2 hours of Zelda: LTTP.   :doge  I just struggle hard to find time for this thing.... Plus, I haven't fully completed MHW either, which I really would like to do prior.   :-[
This looks great on the Switch though, I'll give them that.  Capcom with the REengine works wonders.  Will keep this on my wishlist.
Happy hunting!

remy

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »
"hard to justify full price for this atm" :cac

Tasty

« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
This unlocks tonight, I'm so hype. :lawd

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Monster Hunter Rise · HUNTERS RISE UP
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:25 PM »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2021, 02:12:49 PM »

Yeah noticing some streams starting up. :D

« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2021, 02:21:47 PM »
I played the original PS2 game and some of the PSP ones along with World. It was fun but I'm kinda indifferent to Rise, even owning a Switch now.
野球

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2021, 05:21:17 PM »

Luna's having a good time. She's like 6 hours into the game now.

Bebpo

« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
Does this thing unlock at midnight or tomorrow?

Tasty

« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2021, 08:22:42 PM »
Does this thing unlock at midnight or tomorrow?

I heard midnight Eastern tonight. Will report here at 12:05am whether that's the case (Animal Crossing was a few mins after midnight IIRC.)

Bebpo

« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
Cool. If it unlocks tonight I might play a bit.

Tasty

« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
:jeb

Bebpo

« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:11 PM »
I'm more curious than hyped. Even Edge gave this a 9 (and they gave World a 9). I wanna see what the hype is about. I like MH, just not sold on Rise yet. I feel like World with its big graphics monsters and interactive environments that the monsters utilized brought an epic wow factor for each fight that felt fresh. I'm hoping Rise can still bring some epic giant monster moments.

Tasty

« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2021, 09:20:27 PM »
Rise looks like World + like DMC or something (Wirebug) with more content than base World, some interesting twists (tower defense makes so much sense for MH), and smooth difficulty curve (going by most reviews I've read.) The story modes in these games also continues to get better and better with each one (starting with MH4, and Tri to a lesser extent.)

Bebpo

« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Idk, Iceborne had a tower defense mission and it wasn't particularly good.

I generally think TD sucks in any game. We'll see if it's better here.

Tasty

« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2021, 09:24:15 PM »
Honestly bebps if this were called World 2 and featured the same content but just 60fps on PS5 I know you'd be way more hyped.

And 60fps would be killer don't get me wrong, but you're starting from a negative place it feels like. :thinking

Bebpo

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »
If this on Switch Pro and had World or better graphics and destruction...I would be!

I'm not fronting, Monster Hunter with good modern graphics was a big deal for me and made me like the series for the first time after playing almost every entry since MH1 and bailing after an hour or two. I mean it's my understanding that's why MH blew up in the west with World. Because it was finally a Monster Hunter game with impressive graphics. I don't know if that will translate to Rise in the west.

But then again I liked GU which had 3ds graphics, even after I played World, so I enjoy the series enough now that I can play uglier ones too.

Bebpo

« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »
And yeah I will be

:hyper

in a couple years for World 2 with PS5 visuals. Fuck yeah, that's the game I want for my personal MH tastes. Rise is just filler in the meantime. Could be really fun filler, but World 2 is the main dish I'm waiting for.

Tasty

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »
:( You disappoint me. 😞

remy

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
If this on Switch Pro and had World or better graphics and destruction...I would be!

The only destruction I need is horn breaks and tail cuts :rash

remy

« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2021, 09:54:14 PM »
The real benefit of world wasn't the graphics, it was being able to play monhun without having to claw grip a 3ds.

Bebpo

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:02 PM »
I really liked how the monsters used the environments in World. Maybe they do that in this too? I think my favorite fight in World/Iceborne was fighting Barioth in the ice where he'd climb the walls and shatter the environment. Was just really epic in scope and extremely badass to fight. A lot of the best fights in World/Iceborne felt like a epic action movie with how immersive they were without being scripted. Just enough slightly scripted environment interactions went a long way.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2021, 11:11:41 PM »

I mean it's my understanding that's why MH blew up in the west with World. Because it was finally a Monster Hunter game with impressive graphics. I don't know if that will translate to Rise in the west.

It looks super-impressive for the platform and there's a lot of Switch owners out there- this should do very well.  I doubt the graphics are what sold so many people on World.  If that alone were the case, it wouldn't have lasted for so long.

As always, for better visuals on Switch when playing docked, get an mClassic.  It makes a big difference for this game especially.  Tasty posted videos a page or two back.

Have you tried the Rise demo?  If not...try the demo. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2021, 12:16:18 AM »
12:15am update: still not unlocked :(

Bebpo

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »
Brork, yeah, I put a few hours in the demo and thought it was ugly which is what initially turned me off of Rise. Blurry low-res bland simple environments, monsters that looked like World but running on a budget PC. It has a very PS3 game-ish look to me and yeah, basically looked like they tried to replicate World's visuals on lower tech and it ends up looking like running MHW on a low spec PC.

If they couldn't pull off World's visuals on Switch I would have rather they didn't even try and went with a high art/low tech stylized art direction. Something like Nintendo 1st party does with colorful clean graphics + 60fps for a really nice art style. 

12:15am update: still not unlocked :(

Yeah, I checked too.

Oh well, back to Avengers grind instead of MH grind.

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:49 AM »

Where is it you fucks :rage

Bebpo

« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2021, 12:29:38 AM »
Damn, see ya tomorrow

Tasty

« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:15 AM »
Apex Rathalos confirmed as coming with 2.0 and Chameleos too. Free update in late April.

Bebpo

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2021, 05:06:13 AM »
Played 2 hours solo

I don't understand how the MP works and how to join games and have people join my game. This connect thing is confusing.
Also I always haaaaaaaate the village quest warm up snoorefests before you even fight a monster.

I tried jumping into the gathering hall for hub quests with like 5 DEF and a Gunlance I had never used before and ended up fighting a poison enemy and spent 25 mins poisoned with no antidotes and carted -_-  Did they really think starting the very first 1 star quest with a poison monster was a good idea? My Gunlance was so sloooow and the shield didn't block the poison so I couldn't evade and just kept getting poisoned and my palico never healed me once and I died.

Been doing village quests to get at least some starting gear. Village quest stuff dies in like 2 hits lol hub quest same small monsters took like 10 hits.

Bebpo

« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2021, 05:25:28 AM »
Ok, got to village 2 star. Gonna sleep.

My main problem tonight was trying to start with a weapon I've never used in my 3 games of MH and just trying to mash out and figure out moves and combos while also trying to actually kill things and live.

I think I've started to get a feel for Gunlance and learned at least one combo. I should probably watch a weapon guide to figure out what my basic combos are. I still don't really get using a shield in MH. Never used a shield weapon before and I still seem to get hit when blocking so idk what the point is other than making me really slow in movement.

MH is more fun when you're using a weapon you know well and it's more about the fights. Will try to figure out how to get MP working tomorrow because SP monster hunter village stuff is zzz. If Gunlance doesn't get fun I may just be lazy and default to my main which is hammer. I play a pretty good hammer user in MH and hammer is always fun. My other weapon Longsword....eh, I'm a pretty shitty LS user that just tends to stumble all my teammates.

I guess I could still try regular lance and Sword n Shield. I tried Dual Blades in World and they feel like tiny tiny damage. I guess I could try learning one of the two switch weapons. I thought they were pretty weird in the past so didn't bother with them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »
Beps:

It helps a lot with this game.
ど助平