Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1785807 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Forum 4 Sale for $4.5 Million OBO
« Reply #3600 on: October 14, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
Quote from: PlanetSmasher
And if the new owners do that, everyone will leave and they'll be left holding a $4.5 million dollar waste of money. It's in the company's best interest to rock the boat as little as possible or risk burning their entire investment to the ground.

And yes, some corporations do stupid stuff like that, but most of them typically try not to after a buyout like this.. 
Maybe, but also absolutely true.
The question is, what does hammering this point so many times get you? The satisfaction of being right? Obviously any single one of us, poster or mod alike, is replaceable. None of us are linchpins holding the entire forum together.

Realistically, though, if the entire mod staff were swept away overnight and replaced by strangers, the damage that would be done to the community would be incalculable.
cope

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3601 on: October 14, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »
And if the new owners do that, everyone will leave and they'll be left holding a $4.5 million dollar waste of money. It's in the company's best interest to rock the boat as little as possible or risk burning their entire investment to the ground.

And yes, some corporations do stupid stuff like that, but most of them typically try not to after a buyout like this.. 

“A badly run company is a rarity”.

How many mass exoduses did RE have by now? The mods might be surprised how few would be willing to follow their shitshow

benjipwns

« Reply #3602 on: October 14, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
You know what M.O.B.A probably will do at least in the short term? Shut down all their failed forums and rebirth them as forums on ResetERA.com. It won't just be Gaming/OT anymore but like Gaming/OT/LoL/etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #3603 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/post-75236334
Yes. And also there was no need to essentially con people with Era Clear passes to “keep the site going”.
This is cracking me up. Didn't even know it existed.

"As an Era Clear subscriber you can retain the cleanest possible browsing experience while taking pride in giving something back."

This site was clearly making plenty of money from ad revenue alone to cover server costs and then some. So why did Era Clear need to exist other than to line the owner's pockets? Why not just say so instead of floating across some platitude laden bullshit? I'm fine with being a member of a site that's owned by some dude, I've been an SomethingAwful member forever, but at least they are fairly transparent about it. This vague community-centric wording is shady as fuck and exploitative considering the circumstances in which this forum was created.
You have 45 posts. You are acting like you've been a big cornerstone of the community unless you are using an alt to talk smack behind?

ShutUp

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3604 on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »
How do I cancel Era clear? I thought I was helping the site stay afloat, not padding an individual's pockets.

:lol

Good fucking lord  :rofl

Trojita

« Reply #3605 on: October 14, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
I like how they are saying people would leave if mods left, but over the last two years there has been such a turn around in mod staff that the current crop is filled with literal who's with low post counts. Most users don't even know half of the staff they currently have.

« Reply #3606 on: October 14, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
lots of guests here today, hi distinguished mentally-challenged fellows that actually post on that forum

the staff arent saying anything negative because they are still hoping for a payout LOL

:mouf

benjipwns

« Reply #3607 on: October 14, 2021, 04:40:50 PM »

:bernie

jorma

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3608 on: October 14, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
ok now that this is officially owned by swedes. I will use my banned username *censored* to nuke era into orbit. I will ask EU to have them delete all of my posts from the website. every trace, and every mention. I want them to squeeze in pain for banning me for saying atrocities against Palestinians amounts to same treatment ww2 victims suffered

now tell me. where do I request this purge of my data?

you send them a mail asking them to delete your data

they will then delete your account (presumably together with all the data you used to sign up with, like your email)
and then they will be compliant

and then you rage at them a bit because they didn't delete all your posts like you wanted, but they won't care.  :trumps

It's not that easy. The site won't be GDPR compliant by just deleting your posts and changing your name. The way the site handles deleting posts is not GDPR compliant because quoted replies still contain your post and an identifier.

yeah, if you signed up with your real name maybe and if you were under 18 absolutely
but if you ask them to delete all the posts that quoted your posts, they will for sure ask you to point them out and/or request that you reimburse them for the job

but even then if they refuse, what are you gonna do about it?  :lol
it's gonna end up being a worse chore for you than for them

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3609 on: October 14, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
I like how they are saying people would leave if mods left, but over the last two years there has been such a turn around in mod staff that the current crop is filled with literal who's with low post counts. Most users don't even know half of the staff they currently have.

I wonder if it's just the old mods with alt accounts.  :P

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3610 on: October 14, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
All the people in this thread feigning care for staff make me angry and genuinely deeply sad. Same with the performative 'pay the mods' righteousness, especially in the context of the incredibly hostile and accusatory tone this thread has taken.

I was a moderator during the first year of this site. I didn't do it to get paid. I knew it was a volunteer position. I did it because I cared for this place, because I wanted to create a place where people like me could safely engage. I put all the energy I had into this place. I stepped down before the end of the year because of the incredible toll it took on my mental health. A large part of that toll was the community and its hostility toward anything and everything the mod team did - something I feel only got worse in the couple years since I left. This community is constantly hostile, accusing staff of conspiracies and malice, attacking staff at every opportunity it gets. It really hurt when I saw people from the community I was part of, the community I joined the team for, retreating to their Discord to accuse staff of all sorts of things.

I don't really have the energy or mental coherence at the moment to type up any more than this. My anger and sadness are eating up whatever energy I have left after a busy day at work. I'll just quote FiFi's post for more insight.
Imagine being such a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow you argue AGAINST being compensated for your countless hours of unpaid servitude to an absentee profiteering homophobe owner and his hostile audience?
Spud

ShutUp

« Reply #3611 on: October 14, 2021, 04:42:26 PM »
The CEO of M.O.B.A. Network AB also owns an entirely private company described as this:
Digital Spine is a boutique digital marketing agency located in the heart of Stockholm. We help global clients reach their true online potential in acquiring sales, leads and traffic from digital channels. Digital Spine specializes in enterprise SEO & SEM, content marketing strategies, social media, conversion optimization and web analytics. Our mission is to be a fully committed partner, through all digital campaign phases (strategy, implementation, measurement), for our clients.

He lists this on his LinkedIn:
School of Myself
Master's degree  Learning from life

cerium is absolutely at least money laundering and possibly human trafficking

(Image removed from quote.)

:dead

100k a year what the fuck  :lol

You really could sell these people swamp land and they’d believe you were being honest.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3612 on: October 14, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »
James, jorma, Lonewulfeus, Mediocre Lager, Propagandhim, ShutUp, Borealis, benjipwns, fizzel, demi, blaze, Potato, Trojita, wsippel, NegativeCrepe, ldcommando (notthegafone), thetylerrob, HaughtyFrank, Straight Edge, Uncle, Skullfuckers Anonymous, Boredfrom (+ 6 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic

Is there some kind of premium bore service I can subscribe to im worried the servers can't handle this much activity
:O

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3613 on: October 14, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »
Yeah, donate dick pics and I will format the RAM on the server to make it faster
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #3614 on: October 14, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
found it! my favorite Cerium post from NeoGAF.com:

benjipwns

« Reply #3615 on: October 14, 2021, 04:46:57 PM »
Quote from: Nepenthe
Maybe, but also absolutely true.
If you think there's a glut of people who are willing to mod Era, much less to the quality that Hecht does, good on you for being optimistic.
:girlaff

« Reply #3616 on: October 14, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
"The community hates the staff and has caused many sleepless nights for us."

"The community would leave the site with us if the staff was replaced entirely."

Pick one.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3617 on: October 14, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
The way they keep sucking each other off is quite something :lol
Margs

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3618 on: October 14, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
found it! my favorite Cerium post from NeoGAF.com:

Oof, guess he shouldn’t have skipped civics class to get sucked off by the librarian

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3619 on: October 14, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »

It's hard to believe this shit is real, even more so that people bought it  :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3620 on: October 14, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
Quote from: Riotous
It's logical to think moderators should be paid.. it's.. "work", to maintain something making someone else money.

Thing is.. people want to volunteer.. the bigger the forum, the more volunteers you need.. but.. then the "modship" is seen as even more desirable.

And the catch 22 being.. none of this is enough money to really make paying moderators worth it for a business. If it's generating $500k in income a year but takes 40 mods to operate it.. how much do you have to pay them then? As soon as you start paying that many people, you have other costs to incur too.. you are suddenly a medium sized business.

Pragmatically, these sites can make someone a bunch of money.. but can't operate as a normal business. It is what it is.

:rejoice

Slavery is necessary it is what it is :trumps
Lol, what a bitch
Spud

BIONIC

« Reply #3621 on: October 14, 2021, 04:55:32 PM »
Era Clear?

That some sort of acne medication?  :girlaff
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3622 on: October 14, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Hecht
Heh. Kinda funny, huh? We’ve seen threads were the OP says something really embarrassing then runs away from the comment section. Cerium? He was barely here to begin with. Dropped a bomb of a OP. Disappeared with 4.5 million in thin air. People got tons of questions and concerns. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen.
He was up late finalizing a lot of this. He, like many people I’m told, require sleep from time to time
This cunt definitely got paid, he's just hiding it from the other bitches who got played.
Spud

blaze

« Reply #3623 on: October 14, 2021, 04:56:17 PM »
I can’t believe people there are so shocked that era clear was a money making scheme lol. I do have one of those subs for a different smaller forum and am 100% aware the like €2 a month is going straight into the owners pockets, but somehow none of those geniuses knew that for era? A forum for intellectuals.

marrec

« Reply #3624 on: October 14, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
Yeah, donate dick pics and I will format the RAM on the server to make it faster
Hell of a thing, asking James for dick pics

benjipwns

« Reply #3625 on: October 14, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
If that's the case, then this site isn't profitable. Nothing wrong with that, and it can still exist as a non profit where the mods are doing the work for the community, and any extra ad revenue can go to charity, or even a staff event. Take a $100k each year and do a cruise for mods or something. IDK.
from gift baskets to a moderator cruise :jeb

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #3627 on: October 14, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
If that's the case, then this site isn't profitable. Nothing wrong with that, and it can still exist as a non profit where the mods are doing the work for the community, and any extra ad revenue can go to charity, or even a staff event. Take a $100k each year and do a cruise for mods or something. IDK.

Don’t even act like you wouldn’t love spending days in a confined space with the type of people who would moderate Era for free.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3628 on: October 14, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
The delusion of the mods thinking if they quit the site will collapse is fucking amazing :lol

The only people who would be mad if the entire current mod staff quit are their special protected little snitch buddies, and the rest of the forum fucking hate them too, precisely because of how corrupt and biased the mods are.

They'll just be another bunch of sad ass BronsonLees on Twitter mumbling into the void about how dirty they got done and only become relevant when someone cherry picks them to try and take someone else out in a new wave of drama

Propagandhim

« Reply #3629 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »

:dead :dead

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3630 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
ResetEra about to get a visit by the Bobs, lol

Uncle

blaze

« Reply #3631 on: October 14, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
The delusion of the mods thinking if they quit the site will collapse is fucking amazing :lol

The only people who would be mad if the entire current mod staff quit are their special protected little snitch buddies, and the rest of the forum fucking hate them too, precisely because of how corrupt and biased the mods are.

They'll just be another bunch of sad ass BronsonLees on Twitter mumbling into the void about how dirty they got done and only become relevant when someone cherry picks them to try and take someone else out in a new wave of drama
Only ~850 people have even posted in that thread and they think there would be an exodus lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3632 on: October 14, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »
Hell of a thing, asking James for dick pics

I'm just promoting body positivity
fat

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3633 on: October 14, 2021, 05:12:15 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truancy_(novel)

You know, it's funny. The related noun "truand" in french (and before that, gaulish) originally meant "beggar", then its use evolved to mean "crook".

james

« Reply #3634 on: October 14, 2021, 05:16:14 PM »
Remember when evilore kept signing onto increasing intrusive ad networks that would crash the website

benjipwns

« Reply #3635 on: October 14, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »
Not sure where else I can post this. I just realized MOBA Network has an Overwatch dedicated site. With the whole thing with Blizzard and MOBA buying certain forums it seems. What happens if they merge with a site that share the same values as era. Do you not advertise them? They seem to be about connecting everything.
Nepenthe says shut up.

benjipwns

« Reply #3636 on: October 14, 2021, 05:19:33 PM »
When I think of Era, I think of a diverse melting pot of cultures, race, and ethnicity.
lol

blaze

« Reply #3637 on: October 14, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
When I think of Era, I think of a diverse melting pot of cultures, race, and ethnicity.
lol
I was just going to post that. Best laugh I’ve had all day

benjipwns

« Reply #3638 on: October 14, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »

Hello benjipwns. If you believe you have been banned unjustly (moderation practices and staff have changed substantially since 2017), please send an email to support@neogaf.com with "Ban Review" in the title and your account username specified, plus any notes on your perspective on the circumstances you would like to include. We will review your ban fairly and get back to you. Thank you.

Oops! We ran into some problems.

You have been banned for the following reason: Lulz.
User   Post   Given   Expires   Reason
benjipwns      Oct 14, 2021   Permanent   Lulz
wow guess it is true

OpinionatedCyborg

« Reply #3639 on: October 14, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »
Is somethingawful any good? Not that i'm willing to spend $10

I like it, as a pc gamer they were better than RE (not a hard feat), but I don’t venture out further than that, they swung more left in the last few years but not batshit like RE and GAF were getting but the old days of slinging slurs etc are long gone.

They ousted low tax after yet another domestic violence story broke so now it’s kind like a spicier, and chill version of RE without quite as much echo chamber. Imo of course .
The crazy thing about Lowtax is he's an even bigger loser than Evilore.

At one point, his forum had more activity than the combined peaks of neogaf and resetera. Between ad revenue and registration/avatar/search fees, he was likely bringing in tons of money, and there were several offers to buy the forums for seven figures. Instead, he ran the forums into the ground and sold them for a few hundred thousand dollars earlier this year.

He is now an obese drug addict who lives in a hovel, is estranged from his children, and makes self-pitying posts and videos that get no views.

Bravo, cerium.

james

« Reply #3640 on: October 14, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »
Hello benjipwns. If you believe you have been banned unjustly (moderation practices and staff have changed substantially since 2017), please send an email to support@neogaf.com with "Ban Review" in the title and your account username specified, plus any notes on your perspective on the circumstances you would like to include. We will review your ban fairly and get back to you. Thank you.

wow guess it is true

Why would you do this

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3641 on: October 14, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
The real victim in this ownship transition is me because I don't give a shit about any of this

benjipwns

« Reply #3642 on: October 14, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »
Quote from: Evilore
Benji was permed for this? Can't say I agree with the decision. To me, it seemed like he was pointing out the ridiculous fact that EL is STILL living rent free in their heads, rather than simply mocking EL
@‘s can be risky business
:lol

also ManaByte took away his like after I was banned :lol

james

« Reply #3643 on: October 14, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »
Shower elf has already permed 6 people today.

So fucking salty.

It's going to take him a loooooong time to get over this

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

10centtacos

« Reply #3645 on: October 14, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
Lol benji

Tuckers Law

« Reply #3646 on: October 14, 2021, 05:39:41 PM »

wow guess it is true

:dead

BIONIC

« Reply #3648 on: October 14, 2021, 05:42:39 PM »
Remember when evilore kept signing onto increasing intrusive ad networks that would crash the website

No, because I’m not a boomer browsing without adblock.
Margs

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #3649 on: October 14, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »

wow guess it is true
:salute

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #3650 on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
Poor Lore. All he wanted to do was take a shower and it cost him millions :(

BIONIC

« Reply #3652 on: October 14, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
I get more likes on my shitposts in a dead forum  :neogaf
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3653 on: October 14, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
I get more likes on my shitposts in a dead forum  :neogaf
why are you still posting on neogaf?
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #3654 on: October 14, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
Lore rn:  :nintex
Margs

OpinionatedCyborg

« Reply #3655 on: October 14, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-52#post-75236454

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
This is like a McDonalds employee who thinks if they quit the entire company will collapse.

There are very few people in this world who aren't replaceable, and they certainly aren't those who volunteer 60 hours a week to moderate video game forums.

james

« Reply #3656 on: October 14, 2021, 05:51:42 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3657 on: October 14, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »
They can cut out the middle non-binary and just hire a bunch of Chinese
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #3658 on: October 14, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
Cerium was always an opportunist. We called out his bullshit when The Great Roar of the NeoGAF World happened in 2017

Also his poliGAF takes were fucking trash and he magically stopped posting on that side of the forum after Hillary lost.

PoliGAF, Nov. 7th- THIS ELECTION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SINGLE EVENT IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY
Gaming side, Nov 9th: hello, fellow Nintendo fans, I am also very excited for the upcoming direct!

benjipwns

« Reply #3659 on: October 14, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »
Lore! Unban me! I've got a follow up to post!