Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1822266 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3480 on: October 14, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »
Quote from: SweetNicole
Cerium was involved in most every crisis that ResetEra dealt with in meaningful ways trying to find solutions forward. You can scream into the void all you want, but it's just that: screaming into the void. Anyone who has ever worked with Cerium will tell you otherwise.

Where’s the proof? He was involved in “most every crisis ResetErs dealt with”? Where? Where is the proof? What do you exactly mean? What he giving advice in Discord or something?

Source: literally me

Oh OK then :lol

Rman

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3481 on: October 14, 2021, 02:56:24 PM »
Cerium was involved in most every crisis that ResetEra dealt with in meaningful ways trying to find solutions forward. You can scream into the void all you want, but it's just that: screaming into the void. Anyone who has ever worked with Cerium will tell you otherwise.

Where’s the proof? He was involved in “most every crisis ResetErs dealt with”? Where? Where is the proof? What do you exactly mean? What he giving advice in Discord or something?

links?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3482 on: October 14, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »
How do I cancel Era clear? I thought I was helping the site stay afloat, not padding an individual's pockets.

:lol

Propagandhim

« Reply #3483 on: October 14, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
How do I cancel Era clear? I thought I was helping the site stay afloat, not padding an individual's pockets.

:heh :sabu

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3484 on: October 14, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-47#post-75229794
Quote from: bluexy
For the record, that was never part of the original plan, but a lot of things change in four years. ResetEra has become almost unrecognizable from what it was then. I do not begrudge Cerium from wanting to separate himself from the constant work and wanting to move on with his life.
I would genuinely love to read a book about y'all's original aspirations and efforts -- the trials and tribulations that went into the launch and success of ResetEra. I don't doubt that I would deeply empathize and find it difficult to disagree with every step of the process that's led to this point. But at this specific moment, I can't help but wish we could have avoided this.

:waluigi
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3485 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »
Epic grift.

Can someone perma my account or whatever? Not interested in getting my user data sold. Thanks
You have 96 posts and no avatar.

Whose alt are you?

Propagandhim

« Reply #3486 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »
More posts than Cerium

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3488 on: October 14, 2021, 03:04:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-47#post-75229794
Quote from: bluexy
For the record, that was never part of the original plan, but a lot of things change in four years. ResetEra has become almost unrecognizable from what it was then. I do not begrudge Cerium from wanting to separate himself from the constant work and wanting to move on with his life.
I would genuinely love to read a book about y'all's original aspirations and efforts -- the trials and tribulations that went into the launch and success of ResetEra. I don't doubt that I would deeply empathize and find it difficult to disagree with every step of the process that's led to this point. But at this specific moment, I can't help but wish we could have avoided this.

:waluigi

A book on how to grift, I got just the thing fam.

BikeJesus

« Reply #3489 on: October 14, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
These people are fucking idiots. Asking the members to donate to all kinds of charities, but keeping all the ad revenue for himself.

Even 8chan had monthly transparency reports about how much was made, and where the money was going.

benjipwns

« Reply #3490 on: October 14, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
Sorta, except the site also sold Era Clear passes under the (now known to be) deceptive "keep the lights on" pitch. That affects the behavior of not just staff but posters as well. It would be like finding out that your local NPR execs were buying Teslas with the teledrive donations or whatever.
NOTE: Do not look up what NPR executives make.

« Reply #3491 on: October 14, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
How does a racist white era liberal become a minority?

say you are a woman

Raist

« Reply #3492 on: October 14, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »

links?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-46#post-75228558

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-47#post-75228900

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-47#post-75229035

benjipwns

« Reply #3493 on: October 14, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »
I was under the assumption at that time that is truly was a community effort, and he would be compensated for his time and investment in the infrastructure, but once that was taken care of, it would be the community's board, not his. I really thought at some point, when it was up and running and made enough revenue to keep the lights on, it would be "owned" by those community members.
i love this guy

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3494 on: October 14, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »

These people, even when it's explained to their face, don't understand things.

benjipwns

« Reply #3495 on: October 14, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
Quote from: Hecht
lol
This is not a chill gig. Them being hands off still leaves us with the task of running the day to day on the site.
:lol "running the day to day"

Propagandhim

« Reply #3496 on: October 14, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
I was under the assumption at that time that is truly was a community effort, and he would be compensated for his time and investment in the infrastructure, but once that was taken care of, it would be the community's board, not his. I really thought at some point, when it was up and running and made enough revenue to keep the lights on, it would be "owned" by those community members.
i love this guy

:lol :lol :lol

So many people born yesterday.  Loving this.

benjipwns

« Reply #3497 on: October 14, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »
I don't know Cerium well. But I do remember him posting some heinous shit back on the previous forum while he was active. I am not surprised that this is the result.
:drudge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3498 on: October 14, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-48#post-75230787
Quote from: Haint
I don't think it would be that interesting. We never really had time to even figure out what our aspirations and efforts were before launching. All we knew is we wanted to make a new home for the community. There was not time to figure out anything else. It was a lot of flying by the seat of our pants, making it up as we go, and long, long discussions about how we wanted to do things. Fun times, but also not fun times. The only thing that hasn't ever really been discussed much is that there was a lot of infighting / arguing in those early times within the staff, and Cerium really had to walk a fine line to keep the peace.

You all knew first hand the amount of money Evilore was making and had been offered in buyouts. In addition to the number of users migrating over. The idea that discussions on finances and ownership were an afterthought is frankly insulting to the intelligence of everyone here. If you were all that naieve and altruistically idealed, you would have demanded it be set up as a nonprofit donating to marginalized charities like AJ proposed, lest it be raized to the ground again.

ど助平

Yulwei

« Reply #3499 on: October 14, 2021, 03:10:39 PM »
I don't know Cerium well. But I do remember him posting some heinous shit back on the previous forum while he was active. I am not surprised that this is the result.

I'm surprised it took this long for the accusations to start coming out  :shaq

Propagandhim

« Reply #3500 on: October 14, 2021, 03:11:39 PM »
He's long gone, buddy.  He's on his mental health vision quest.  The cancelling should have started earlier.  Go back to complaining about how Sakurai is sending out coded racist messages to you idiots that can't see real, explicit ones. 

« Reply #3501 on: October 14, 2021, 03:12:11 PM »
He actually did it.  Cerium had more foresight than Evilore and Lowtax to get the fuck out before the vultures came for them.

This could also genuinely be a big issue for the site.  And no, I don't mean due to the aversion of corporations from a bunch of performative hypocrites posting on a hobby site reliant on corporations.  I mean:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-9#post-75198219

:phil

Now that you're owned by an EU registered business, time for some light reading: https://gdpr-info.eu/

You're not complying to most of this btw.

It just takes one person asking for their data to be deleted to cause a shitstorm.  We're talking ALL data here, which means deleting/editing every post that quoted said poster.  They very likely do not have a mechanism in place to do this automatically, so they'd have to do it manually and finish it in 30 days or potentially face heavy fines.  Now imagine someone with a post count in the 5 digits asking for this.  Imagine multiple doing so.

This also counts retroactively for long-banned members, and it isn't limited to people living in Europe.  People with a grudge against the place could either get a payout or make the staff's lives even more miserable, so it's win/win for them.

M

« Reply #3502 on: October 14, 2021, 03:12:27 PM »
The mods are so spineless. Just fucking quit for the drama at least. Boring seeing these spineless idiots desperate to keep their mod position under the new company. Want more drama. Quit. ALL OF YOU JUST FUCKING QUIT. Do it for the memes. It will work. It will literally work.

Raist

« Reply #3503 on: October 14, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
The new Swede overlords will have a fun time making that dumpster GDPR-compliant. Especially when the place has admins that enjoy doxxing :lol

Also,

https://imgur.com/a/u5UIWFi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3504 on: October 14, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-49#post-75231057
Quote from: collige
Quote from: samoyed
As I said, it was obvious from the GAF days, did people really volunteer under the assumption that financials magically went to zero after the GAF-ERA transition? Did people miss the trips, the partying, the cars, the apartments, from Evil, for an entire decade? He did not hide that he was flush, it was a major part of his character.

The last time it was a "garage project" was when Evilore was still 18, after the first handoff from IGN.

I was on GAF ~2012 till the end and I missed all of that. I think the biggest indication I ever saw of his wealth was when we has spotted with a prime seat in a Dave Chappelle Netflix special.

ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #3505 on: October 14, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
I felt this sounds like a cult were the leader just fuck ups with all the money while the true believers are denied the sweet release of death and are forced to deal with the fallout.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3506 on: October 14, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
The new Swede overlords will have a fun time making that dumpster GDPR-compliant. Especially when the place has admins that enjoy doxxing :lol

Also,

https://imgur.com/a/u5UIWFi

I'd be surprised if they don't just dump the current software, pull some fresh data over and just nuke the rest.

They probably don't want the eekiness of community on their servers anyways.

M

« Reply #3507 on: October 14, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »
He actually did it.  Cerium had more foresight than Evilore and Lowtax to get the fuck out before the vultures came for them.

This could also genuinely be a big issue for the site.  And no, I don't mean due to the aversion of corporations from a bunch of performative hypocrites posting on a hobby site reliant on corporations.  I mean:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-9#post-75198219

Now that you're owned by an EU registered business, time for some light reading: https://gdpr-info.eu/

It just takes one person asking for their data to be deleted to cause a shitstorm.  We're talking ALL data here, which means deleting/editing every post that quoted said poster.  They very likely do not have a mechanism in place to do this automatically, so they'd have to do it manually and finish it in 30 days or potentially face heavy fines.  Now imagine someone with a post count in the 5 digits asking for this.  Imagine multiple doing so.

This also counts retroactively for long-banned members, and it isn't limited to people living in Europe.  People with a grudge against the place could either get a payout or make the staff's lives even more miserable, so it's win/win for them.

This is not true. The data just has to be anonymised. It does not apply to data that does not identify the individual. But there are certain aspects of the law that can be used to make yourself a nuisance. I have used GDPR to silence people on social media before using special category data. Political views fit into that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3508 on: October 14, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-49#post-75231210
As stated before in the thread, Ceri was still around constantly helping handle any sort of incident on the site. It’s not like he just took a vacation to go kickboxing

:lore
ど助平

Propagandhim

« Reply #3509 on: October 14, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

He won't stop  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #3510 on: October 14, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »
What software is Era built on?
XenForo, and a pretty basic install at that, it's why they have a "tech team" of a single person

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #3511 on: October 14, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
Cerium was working 150 hour weeks alongside the ad team. Shame on you all for thinking he doesn’t deserve the 4.5 million.

benjipwns

« Reply #3512 on: October 14, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »
Lotus, incelsiorlef and Slayven should form a union and go on strike until the revenues are distributed by post count.

Propagandhim

« Reply #3513 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:11 PM »
Why would you do the cruel thing of tasking Slayven with a division problem.

Boredfrom

« Reply #3514 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »

Cerium could be Jesus Christ in private and nobody will give a fuck because the guy rarely posted there and the word of the mods mean shit.

Nepehente cries about abuse but then says: “why so serious?, while Slayven admits he would have been a hobo if didn’t have the shadow cabal acting as his therapists. How the fuck anyone can take your word?

benjipwns

« Reply #3515 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:52 PM »
i find it odd that a company that is focused on esports and runs mostly tools/guide sites, each with a generic forum of their own (all of whom seem very dead) is interested in a community/website like resetera. I don‘t understand what the „best match“ here is

so a community-driven project to build a new forum/community was sold out from under its feet to a random company, as soon as they are unhappy with the forum, they can nuke it or sell it off again

At least you owe the community the up front truth and have the balls just to say you had the opportunity to sell the site for 4.5 million instead of this announcement
:shh

benjipwns

« Reply #3516 on: October 14, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »
Well he certainly isn't donating to any political causes I support if his stances on "the other forum" are to be believed regarding Bernie Sanders. Also very funny that he accused Bernie of "running a ponzi scheme" because he got small donations only to be the sole beneficiary running off with 4.5 million with of ad revenue and Era Clear money.
:yikes

« Reply #3517 on: October 14, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

This is not true. The data just has to be anonymised. It does not apply to data that does not identify the individual. But there are certain aspects of the law that can be used to make yourself a nuisance. I have used GDPR to silence people on social media before using special category data. Political views fit into that.

Does it not count if the registered user is linked to their real name/social media with real name?  There's a sizable amount of users that applies to.

benjipwns

« Reply #3518 on: October 14, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
I'm not an expert on the GDPR in the slightest, but one problem for ResetERA.com brought to you by M.O.B.A. Network AB will be the e-mails they require, that is considered personal data in the EU.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3519 on: October 14, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »
where is excel?

Boredfrom

« Reply #3520 on: October 14, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »
Cerium was working in private m, you guys. He just never bothered to post like he used to do in the old site or trying to be a community voice like when he bitched about Crossplay for months and people took him seriously.

Raist

« Reply #3521 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

Posting heinous shit on GAF? That's it?

Oh, sweet summer child.

http://www.parentadvocates.org/nicecontent/dsp_printable.cfm?articleID=7983

benjipwns

« Reply #3522 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Cerium was working in private m, you guys. He just never bothered to post like he used to do in the old site or trying to be a community voice like when he bitched about Crossplay for months and people took him seriously.
My familiarity with Cerium was more his bitching about Nintendo not being social justice enough and the fact that he constantly spammed in support of Hillary while not even knowing how elections worked.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3523 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:16 PM »
I'm gonna keep pushing this crypto under the table exchange conspiracy theory until it becomes true for the reason all these known users and mods are choosing to die on this hill.

Boredfrom

« Reply #3524 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:35 PM »

Posting heinous shit on GAF? That's it?

Oh, sweet summer child.

http://www.parentadvocates.org/nicecontent/dsp_printable.cfm?articleID=7983

Cerium was a hero:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/former-high-school-librarian-sentenced-15-years-prison-kidnapping-conspiracy

Nuitangg

« Reply #3525 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:46 PM »
Thread still not locked yet?  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #3526 on: October 14, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »
I'm gonna keep pushing this crypto under the table exchange conspiracy theory until it becomes true for the reason all these known users and mods are choosing to die on this hill.
Hook it up with my theory that M.O.B.A. Network is big into NFTs.

« Reply #3527 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:05 PM »
ok now that this is officially owned by swedes. I will use my banned username *censored* to nuke era into orbit. I will ask EU to have them delete all of my posts from the website. every trace, and every mention. I want them to squeeze in pain for banning me for saying atrocities against Palestinians amounts to same treatment ww2 victims suffered

now tell me. where do I request this purge of my data?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3528 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:06 PM »
Thread still not locked yet?  :lol

The mods are being hit with the reality that they shouldn't give a shit anymore.

Or, none of the mods have permissions to close a thread from super user cerium. :lol

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3529 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »
Maybe they finally learned that containment threads are better than letting the shit spill over into the rest of the threads?

benjipwns

« Reply #3530 on: October 14, 2021, 03:32:20 PM »
One funny thing about all them talking about a "big corporation" taking over, is that it seems M.O.B.A. Network AB is at best, AT BEST, just a handful of people. Their reporting documents say they have less than ten employees total. (Or more specifically say they fit into the category for a company with less then ten employees.)

marrec

« Reply #3531 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »
The irony is that even though Evilore turned out to be a creep, he did at least turn down a 10 million offer for the good of the community at the time.

These motherfuckers have to be some of the stupidest people on the planet.

Propagandhim

« Reply #3532 on: October 14, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »
The irony is that even though Evilore turned out to be a creep, he did at least turn down a 10 million offer for the good of the community at the time.

These motherfuckers have to be some of the stupidest people on the planet.

They're like little kids.  I have never seen so much naivety in one place, ever.  This has been hilarious.  :lol

"So...so...Cerium is coming back and is going to listen to my thoughts that I journaled about how he can spend his newfound capital...for the community...right...right?"

benjipwns

« Reply #3533 on: October 14, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
Evilore told us all at the time that he turned it down because he thought he could get a better offer. That was the entire reason we knew about it. :lol

marrec

« Reply #3534 on: October 14, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »
One funny thing about all them talking about a "big corporation" taking over, is that it seems M.O.B.A. Network AB is at best, AT BEST, just a handful of people. Their reporting documents say they have less than ten employees total. (Or more specifically say they fit into the category for a company with less then ten employees.)

How has MOBA Network made money up until this point?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3535 on: October 14, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »

Those 10 employees probably get paid tho.
©@©™

Propagandhim

« Reply #3536 on: October 14, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »

:lol Oh shut the fuck up. They said they were introducing new revenue generating policies.  They'll make major overhauls to get numbers up and make their 4.5 milly investment back quickly.   They'll change anything at the drop of a hat.   

« Reply #3537 on: October 14, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
oh my god:
I’m positive you’d see heavy pushback from staff if they were going to try to change policy.

Has he never been in a buyout before? Has he never witnessed the old guard being confronted with the harsh reality that their new corporate overlords aren't going to give a terribly large amount of fucks if staff doesn't like the new direction?

As has been made abundantly clear, staff is just a bunch of volunteers with no actual authority over general direction. The absolute  first time MOBA's bottom line conflicts with Era staff's personal beliefs, who does he think is winning.

Boredfrom

« Reply #3538 on: October 14, 2021, 03:40:16 PM »

Probably by selling your data.

marrec

« Reply #3539 on: October 14, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »

Probably by selling your data.

I hope they aren't charging much my data is garbage.