Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1814544 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3240 on: October 14, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »
obligatory why does all the juicy stuff only happen when benji is offline :stahp

FACT CHECK: There was no mention of mod admirals in that statement. Our boy probably signed an NDA and is using that money to fund his 600lb lifestyle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3241 on: October 14, 2021, 09:01:49 AM »
As the legal council for shosty aka shosta aka kris aka shostakovich aka glen, I am glad to announce that my client thoroughly enjoyed providing free labor for a for profit organization. We are looking for new unpaid work opportunities at this very moment for my client.

:girlaff

Shonda is a dumbass biiiiiaaaaaaaattttcccchhh  :lol
Margs

Shuri

« Reply #3242 on: October 14, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
 :lawd

Moderators writing emotional posts and getting ignored.
Users realizing they got played hard.
Industry people who signed up using work credentials probably wondering wtf is going to happen to their privacy
Cerium making millions off volunteers

This is HILARIOUS.

All this time, the evil capitalistic landlord was calling from inside the house!

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #3243 on: October 14, 2021, 09:04:12 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-27#post-75208197

I don't have the patience to read through the entire thing. Quote if from Finale Fireworker:
I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.

a lot of words to justify lining someone elses pockets while destorying your own mental health with stress  :brain

Boredfrom

« Reply #3244 on: October 14, 2021, 09:04:23 AM »
Quote from: NepNep
Because we volunteer to put up with performative nonsense like your post.

To others, the concern is appreciated, but if you really care about our well being, just do your best not to cause trouble or be rude to us like the above. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr_complex

Quote from: Veelk
This. So far, I've countered 3 or 4 mods that have straight up come out and said "hey, we actually have some reasons for why we aren't and don't want to be paid for moderation as a job" and few people seem to register that as a counterpoint to their defense of mods. If you're truly concerned for moderator's wellbeing, you'd think the mods saying "Actually, we're okay with it" is atleast a point worth discussing, but nothing. So, instead, you look at it rhetorically, and like you say, it's just another bludgeon people are using to attack the hated mod of the week here.

Is because their reasons are BS and pretending is okay is just enabling a destructive behavior, you piece of shit cunt. They don’t care about them but they are telling you the truth: “you were exploited”.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3245 on: October 14, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3246 on: October 14, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »
cerium rn:

(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3247 on: October 14, 2021, 09:07:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if cerium is throwing the mods some etherium on the downlow, and they'll all go down for tax evasion.

BIONIC

« Reply #3248 on: October 14, 2021, 09:08:19 AM »
Where’s that one meme with a dude crying under a smiling mask when you need it?
Margs

remy

« Reply #3249 on: October 14, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
The way they are stanning for him I hope they're getting some crypto, otherwise it's just fucking sad.

I didn't think I could respect transistor/planetsmasher any less than i did already. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:13:38 AM by remy »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3250 on: October 14, 2021, 09:10:27 AM »
Quote if from Finale Fireworker:
So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama

well, thats where :ufup

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3251 on: October 14, 2021, 09:12:07 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

In fairness to Nepenthe, I respect them as much as I respect the glaswegian alcoholic homeless who also has no income and lives in a tent, ranting about the government oppressing them

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #3252 on: October 14, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Get the bag cerium

If the era community had two braincells, they'd realise now was the time to bail en masse. Its the only option that might fuck with the deal.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Boredfrom

« Reply #3253 on: October 14, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
If any mod is reading this:

I’m not going to pussyfoot this: you guys are idiots and enablers of awful behavior.

But I feel sorry for you and I hope you just GET THE FUCK OUT of that community, is becoming a borderline cult of sorts. And when I’m talking about community is that unreal idea of what Resetera is (progressive gaming safe heaven), not the actual Resetera (fragmented forum that is mainly used as a news aggregator). You all guys can be friends and all that, but stop kidding yourselves that you were not used to get another person rich (again, not going to pussyfoot this, you don’t deserve any money but you didn’t deserve to being exploited to begin with).

There is no community, everyone in that shit forum hates each other for petty reasons, and you guys enabled this... but for god sake, move on.

Rman

« Reply #3254 on: October 14, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »

Get the bag cerium

If the era community had two braincells, they'd realise now was the time to bail en masse. Its the only option that might fuck with the deal.

i'm baffled that they were not aware cerium was making money. he runs tons of ads.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3255 on: October 14, 2021, 09:17:43 AM »
and charges for an ad free site without even trying to fuck with adblockers like loads of sites do :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

who is ted danson?

« Reply #3256 on: October 14, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
$4.5 million

45 staff

Coulda been $100k each. Nope! :rofl
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Boredfrom

« Reply #3257 on: October 14, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
The way they are stanning for him I hope they're getting some crypto, otherwise it's just fucking sad.

I didn't think I could respect transistor/planetsmasher any less than i did already.

It was already fucking sad when Slayven admitted he was on his way on becoming a mentally ill hobo if it was not because the mod job and those friends larping as therapists.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3258 on: October 14, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
obligatory why does all the juicy stuff only happen when benji is offline :stahp

I've never seen benji and cerium in the same place

e: also, there' no mention of the tech team not getting paid right? lol  :brain

Rman

« Reply #3259 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
imagine dealing with that asylum for free?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3260 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
If he was a nice guy (lol) he could at least cut each mod who has been doing it a year or more a grand or something to say thanks :trumps
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3261 on: October 14, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »

i mean some of the mods are the worst offenders for turning the site into a cesspit :trumps
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3262 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:46 AM »

Get the bag cerium

i'm baffled that they were not aware cerium was making money. he runs tons of ads.

Why would they see ads when they were paying for clear era.

:rollsafe

Boredfrom

« Reply #3263 on: October 14, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

i mean some of the mods are the worst offenders for turning the site into a cesspit :trumps

Is easy to power trip banning people when your income don’t depend in being competent. Deep down they know they are a bunch of pricks, but the “suffering” justify it.

remy

« Reply #3264 on: October 14, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
$4.5 million

45 staff

Could have cut everyone 10k and still had 4 mill

Would've taken a chunk out of that Versa loan

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #3265 on: October 14, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
A classic Opa-Ages original from Sman

hey

Borealis

« Reply #3266 on: October 14, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
Hey now, will Cerium be donating a small portion the sale proceeds to Supporting Afgan Women?

:aweshum

Shuri

« Reply #3267 on: October 14, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »
i wonder how long its gonna take before it spreads to the gaming and off topic sections. Nobody fucking reads section part where it was posted.

samir

« Reply #3268 on: October 14, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
I’m also surprised, like others, that the community didn’t have a chance to discuss this in advance. It allways felt like this was “ours”

:rofl

remy

« Reply #3269 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
it's actually sinophobic to not have a big booty asian girl at the top of the page

who is ted danson?

« Reply #3270 on: October 14, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:piss unpaid mods :piss2
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3271 on: October 14, 2021, 09:31:45 AM »
i wonder if the new regime will let ksweeley post full articles from the baltimore sun again :teehee
(ice)

Snoopycat_

« Reply #3272 on: October 14, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-27#post-75208197

Quote if from Finale Fireworker:
I can't speak for any other staff,

I'll cut it down for you -

I'm a living saint.

Moderating is hell.

I sacrificed myself on Ree's Killing Fields to protect you.

No seriously guys I'm literally like a Vietnam vet or something.

I feel absolutely 100% fine that Cerium has made $4 mill from my blood, sweat and tears.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3273 on: October 14, 2021, 09:37:24 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Westerlund Law has acted as advisor to M.O.B.A. Network in the transaction. Waugh Grant PLLC and WeBrokr LLC have acted as advisors to the seller.
[close]

Did they get some random legal service? is cerium about to get trounced legally?

also

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-there-any-truth-to-the-persistent-rumors-that-resetera-is-being-purchased-by-spencers-gifts.497547/

:lol

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3274 on: October 14, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #3275 on: October 14, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
The best thing is that Cerium like Tyler required e-mails that essentially gave them your real identity which was always stupid and people who were dumb enough to really do it deserve nothing but mockery.

But the new owner totally won’t sell that data.   :lol :lol :lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #3276 on: October 14, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
ResetEra statement: Not much will change!

MOBA statement: Great potential for growth! *snickers in businessman* 

And both are outright lies or wishful thinking.

Boredfrom

« Reply #3277 on: October 14, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »
Quote from: ZeroVaginayhuevos
Pretty much.

"Banned for having an opinion" is usually code for "banned for trolling or saying something bigoted."

But perhaps the poster can actually give multiple examples and I'm wrong! 

A bitch ass pussy until the very end.

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #3278 on: October 14, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
I finally sign up for The Bore after lurking for years and now all this drama happens.

You're welcome.

Pissy F Benny

(ice)

Kurt Russell

« Reply #3281 on: October 14, 2021, 09:55:12 AM »
$4.5 million

45 staff

Slayven could not sort this  :rkelly
woke

wsippel

« Reply #3282 on: October 14, 2021, 09:57:10 AM »
I just realized SquareEnix dodged a bullet there. With the change in ownership getting all the attention, they barely got to rage about the fact that Yoshi-P spent an hour and a half chatting with known transphobes and alt-right ringleaders Asmongold and Rich W Campbell on Twitch. Most other streamers and even press outlets apparently only got a few minutes.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3283 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »
who?
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3284 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »

:chefskiss
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:04:37 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #3285 on: October 14, 2021, 10:02:53 AM »
I honestly can't think of a worse use of $4.5 million than buying ResetEra.

You spend all that money for a forum filled with the most toxic people on the internet and anyone who hasn't already been driven away are all going to fuck off and create their own forums anyway.

On the bright side, it might become a good place to actually discuss videogames again once all the "prominent" members leave.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3286 on: October 14, 2021, 10:03:21 AM »
I don't think MOBA will waltz in third with their own mod crew, but the interesting part is that there's now someone higher-up, someone with a public image to protect. So when now an admin talks about how it's okay to rap about killing babies because they're white babies...

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3287 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:01 AM »
I honestly can't think of a worse use of $4.5 million than buying ResetEra.

You spend all that money for a forum filled with the most toxic people on the internet and anyone who hasn't already been driven away are all going to fuck off and create their own forums anyway.

On the bright side, it might become a good place to actually discuss videogames again once all the "prominent" members leave.

Buying it and burying it sounds like a total corporate move.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3288 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:36 AM »
I cannot wait for the first Moba Nation representative to register and be like

"Hello ResetERA!  Just checking in, I'm on staff with MOBA and wanted to let y'all know you're in good hands!  If you have any questions or concerns, let us know and we'll be happy to listen!  Party on, gamers!"
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3289 on: October 14, 2021, 10:14:45 AM »

:teehee

Propagandhim

« Reply #3290 on: October 14, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »
I cannot wait for the first Moba Nation representative to register and be like

"Hello ResetERA!  Just checking in, I'm on staff with MOBA and wanted to let y'all know you're in good hands!  If you have any questions or concerns, let us know and we'll be happy to listen!  Party on, gamers!"

"Uh, ayyyckshually, we don't use the term "Gamers" here, sir"   :ufup
"We'll call you whatever we want to call you.   Bitch."  :steiner

Yulwei

« Reply #3291 on: October 14, 2021, 10:17:03 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol

Look on the brightside, mods. Now you can put down your Ree janitorial experience as an unpaid internship on your resume.

dishwalla

« Reply #3292 on: October 14, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »
lol this is hilarious.  suddenly really glad I had my account closed a while back.

$4.5 mil for an offshoot forum of another, much older forum?  Sheez, I'm doing something wrong.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3294 on: October 14, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »
I wonder if some of the mods are mad and trying to sabotage the forum only to find out their permissions have been reduced.

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor
« Reply #3295 on: October 14, 2021, 10:23:40 AM »
I finally sign up for The Bore after lurking for years and now all this drama happens.

You're welcome.

God I hated that guy in your avatar, even as a kid.  Every time he'd pop up in the opening credits I'd want to punch the TV.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3296 on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:30 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

"My wife doesn't think the depiction of Asian culture in Psychonauts is racist"
"Claiming to be a witch promotes unhealthy pseudoscience"
"Not wanting to have sex with a man who has Aids does not make you homophobic"
"They threw bleach on him, beat him up, and put a noose around his neck, but he kept the sandwich?"

wsippel

« Reply #3297 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
who?

Yoshi-P? The guy who fixed FFXIV and is now also producing FFXVI. There's a media tour going on right now, leading up to FFXIV Endwalker's launch in November. If you're referring to Rich, he's an esports commentator, former Blizzard employee, streamer and co-founder of One True King, Asmongold's network/ agency.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3298 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:20 AM »

BIONIC

« Reply #3299 on: October 14, 2021, 10:29:08 AM »
who?

Yoshi-P? The guy who fixed FFXIV and is now also producing FFXVI. There's a media tour going on right now, leading up to FFXIV Endwalker's launch in November. If you're referring to Rich, he's an esports commentator, former Blizzard employee, streamer and co-founder of One True King, Asmongold's network/ agency.

The One True King is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ  :ufup
Margs