Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1953478 times)

Propagandhim

Re: Other Forums Containment Thread
« Reply #27060 on: August 12, 2022, 09:44:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/damballa_abdub/status/1558230423662219264

A Resetera mod responds to the French president.  The inherent disregard.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #27061 on: August 12, 2022, 09:46:35 PM »
Even Muslim members are against the ban.

This ban in a thread about Salman Rushdie being attacked is embarrassing. The man has talked about all kinds of religious extremism. More recently, he has talked about Hindu extremism in India for example. He mocks religion, makes satire. Based on why that poster got banned even Rushdie would be banned in this thread.

Pretty on point

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27062 on: August 12, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »
odiin replying to hecht

Oh look, the dude who insisted the 70s had no cultural influence is no longer the most embarassing post on this forum.

Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27063 on: August 12, 2022, 09:55:11 PM »
Quote from: LumberPanda
Remember when whataboutism was a bannable offense? Anyways, here's a 3 month ban for not introducing whataboutism into your post.

:whoo :neogaf
Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #27064 on: August 12, 2022, 09:56:35 PM »
i can’t wait for the three month ban when someone makes a post linking the attacks in Georgia, January 6th, and the modern KKK to modern christofacisist terrorism for “generalizing Christianity”

I really don't understand how these people are just now realizing the place is run by complete ethnonarcissist hypocrites.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27065 on: August 12, 2022, 09:56:48 PM »

Tbh what wasn't taken into account was the "this shouldn't be shocking" line, which is borderline victim blaming and/or inherent disregard for Islam.

so confused, like victim blaming Rushdie?

Glad I wasn't the ONLY one confused by that.

EDIT: Propagandhim, I'm giving you that like for the term Ethnonarcissist.

:bedroomeyes

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
« Reply #27066 on: August 12, 2022, 09:57:31 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-3#post-91479108

:cop User banned (3 months): islamophobia, framing religious fundamentalism as an exclusively Muslim problem
Quote from: Acetown
Quote from: Mesoian
But like...

The Satanic Verses is a fictional book right?

This makes no sense to me. Which I guess is the point.
Incidents like this really shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point. We had the Charlie Hebdo massacre a bunch of years back, Jyllandsposten, the Asia Bibi case, Samuel Paty. Those are the big ones. In Sweden we had a guy who lived under 24/7 police protection over some dumb drawing (he died in a car crash just recently).
I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world, certainly a very symbolically loaded one, and at least in Europe it's come to animate a lot of the far right discourse. The Salman Rushdie case is pretty much where this conflict started.

That ban is not going over well at all lol.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-4
mods have some x-ray vision here to read things that aren't even in the post
:lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27067 on: August 12, 2022, 09:59:26 PM »

Tbh what wasn't taken into account was the "this shouldn't be shocking" line, which is borderline victim blaming and/or inherent disregard for Islam.

the difference between "that girl was wearing slutty clothes so she shouldn't be surprised she was raped" vs. "unfortunately toxic masculinity continues to promote these attitudes so as horrifying as it is, we shouldn't be surprised she was raped"

just arbitrarily selecting the first interpretation with nothing to back it up
Uncle

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27068 on: August 12, 2022, 10:01:41 PM »

the difference between "that girl was wearing slutty clothes so she shouldn't be surprised she was raped" vs. "unfortunately toxic masculinity continues to promote these attitudes so as horrifying as it is, we shouldn't be surprised she was raped"

just arbitrarily selecting the first interpretation with nothing to back it up

:bolo Need I remind you a three-mod tribunal approved this ban. There could not be anything arbitrary at all about it!

EDIT:
Maybe some mods might need a week-long ban vacation.

:dead

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27069 on: August 12, 2022, 10:16:04 PM »
Quote from: PoodleStrike, with tail between legs
OK, I went to speak to the mods (EDITOR: You, you mean) who issued the ban and brought them your criticism. We discussed the issue and while they felt that the user was engaging in a subtle "us vs them" discourse of an Islamophobic nature, they wound up agreeing that the ban itself was disproportionate and agreed to lower it to the standard for this sort of thing. (EDITOR: Apparently that standard for Islamophobia being, no ban or warning)

Like I said earlier, there were plenty of people who were able to have this discussion without anyone having any issues. It was just this one post that anyone (EDITOR: You, you mean) had any issue with. No one on staff is ever going to tell anyone not to call out religious bullshit (EDITOR: They just did earlier in the thread), we all just request that you not do so in a bigoted way. Religious fundamentalism is on the rise across the world and needs to be called out wherever it occurs. (EDITOR: Pretty sure his ban was for doing exactly that)

Part of the problem is that there are posters, and moderators have seen them in various threads, who use events like these to dogwhistle bigotry. They hide their bigotry in the outrage. Mods see it all the time, it's far too common and everyone has been on the look out for it as a result. (EDITOR: Mods are the victims!) This is not by any way an excuse, but is an explanation of where the mods came from here and why they read things they way they did. (EDITOR: What's the difference between an excuse and an explanation?)

Anyway, I'm going to lift the ban. (EDITOR: Standard for this kind of Islamophobia) Thanks to those Muslim members of Era who reached out and prompted the re-examination.

Funny how you got mods like them who attack any apology that doesn't have enough groveling or in triplicate and then presents this mealy mouth bullshit.

"Look, we have ALL these bigots hiding waiting for this outrage. You can't blame us!!"

But, as one poster already noted...

Seems like the only people who took issue with that post were the mods...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:25:56 PM by joeboy101 »

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27070 on: August 12, 2022, 10:19:03 PM »
God, how are they so bad at this?

Can you not just admit you messed up without being snide and continuing to blame the poster for something you have just admitted he didn't do?
Who exactly had an issue with the post?
The mod(s) who banned Acetown. lol
This confuses me a bit. So you're still saying the content was still worthy of a ban but for a shorter term, but then you're going to unban that poster anyway despite you still considering it an offense worthy of a ban?

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27071 on: August 12, 2022, 10:26:56 PM »
Poodlestrike just needs to tell users to pound sand.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27072 on: August 12, 2022, 10:27:04 PM »
Quote from: NepNep
Acetown was reported by other members who felt their post was Islamophobic. Staff looked at it and agreed with their read. But in light of comments from Muslim members, the ban has been lifted. Thus, the matter is settled.

Return to the topic of Rushdie's attack, or it can be locked for derailment.

:rejoice

More chill than I expected. Must have gotten play of the game.

Propagandhim

« Reply #27073 on: August 12, 2022, 10:28:18 PM »
Part of the problem is that there are posters, and moderators have seen them in various threads, who use events like these to dogwhistle bigotry.

You can't moderate a normal, sound post because you hear nazis everywhere you look.  You have nazis on the brain, all day long.  Nazis screaming in your ear all day long.  And all of this over a religion, too.  You can't even do that little weaselly thing you people always do - making the specious argument that people are saying "religion" instead of "race" to cover up their racism... because the victim is of the same ethnicity as the islamic asshole who tried to kill him.  You want to make sure there's no "inherent disregard" of a religion because you're fucking insane. 

Who am I talking to?!?!

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27074 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:36 PM »
salvation can only be achieved by sheer luck at the mercy of members of the affected community...I mean, when we arbitrarily decide not to go with "they don't speak for every member of their community"
Uncle

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27075 on: August 12, 2022, 10:31:54 PM »
cvxfreak is still a mod after running sales Era people away?

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27076 on: August 12, 2022, 10:32:25 PM »
salvation can only be achieved by sheer luck at the mercy of members of the affected community...I mean, when we arbitrarily decide not to go with "they don't speak for every member of their community"

What, when you have 'other members who are muslim and definitely exist' report a post, you don't think they speak for their community as unelected, unverified representatives?

Also, minorities are not a monolith! Ironically a proven concept here since ACTUAL muslim posters came out and called the mods on their bullshit.

Boredfrom

« Reply #27077 on: August 12, 2022, 10:33:56 PM »
RustyNails sweating...

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27078 on: August 12, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-3#post-91479108

:cop User banned (3 months): islamophobia, framing religious fundamentalism as an exclusively Muslim problem
But like...

Incidents like this really shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point. We had the Charlie Hebdo massacre a bunch of years back, Jyllandsposten, the Asia Bibi case, Samuel Paty. Those are the big ones. In Sweden we had a guy who lived under 24/7 police protection over some dumb drawing (he died in a car crash just recently).
I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world, certainly a very symbolically loaded one, and at least in Europe it's come to animate a lot of the far right discourse. The Salman Rushdie case is pretty much where this conflict started.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-4
garang is not long for this world. Look out for an unjustified ban in the coming days
Spud

Propagandhim

« Reply #27079 on: August 12, 2022, 10:44:19 PM »

This is the perfect distillation of The Philosophia De Nepenthe.  Something exists as x-phobic, not by the content and coherence of the words itself, but whether or not a certain group holds enough straws to say it is.  No apologizing for being wrong, simply on grounds of admitting to bad deductive reasoning or an error in interpretation.   Also lol at threatening to lock the thread because the forum members are getting too uppity about how shitty your moderation is.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27080 on: August 12, 2022, 10:49:49 PM »
Quote from: Sheldon
"Stop asking questions or we'll shut the thread" is the signal to rail the discussion here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/constructive-community-discussion.270630/page-161

But please keep it general and non-specific.

:hesright

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27081 on: August 12, 2022, 10:49:49 PM »

But like...

garang is not long for this world. Look out for an unjustified ban in the coming days

User banned (Permanent): Blasphemy
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #27082 on: August 12, 2022, 11:22:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is the perfect distillation of The Philosophia De Nepenthe.  Something exists as x-phobic, not by the content and coherence of the words itself, but whether or not a certain group holds enough straws to say it is.  No apologizing for being wrong, simply on grounds of admitting to bad deductive reasoning or an error in interpretation.   Also lol at threatening to lock the thread because the forum members are getting too uppity about how shitty your moderation is.

They always use this legal speak in their ban messages and then their moderation is entirely based on feelings and not facts

What seems to have happened is that a Muslim member reported the post (probably Rusty) and because a Muslim made that report it was taken as the word of god. But then other Muslims said the ban was dumb so they had a real cognitive error in their mod.exe.

What an absurd way to moderate
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:26:50 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27083 on: August 12, 2022, 11:53:54 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

They always use this legal speak in their ban messages and then their moderation is entirely based on feelings and not facts

What seems to have happened is that a Muslim member reported the post (probably Rusty) and because a Muslim made that report it was taken as the word of god. But then other Muslims said the ban was dumb so they had a real cognitive error in their mod.exe.

What an absurd way to moderate
The most ridiculous parts of all those mod messages is the weight that they put on the voices of the muslims as if they were the only ones that could have an opinion about whether this was a ridiculous ban or not. I know they all have the hard on for "lived experience", but even fucking Ayatollah Khomeni couldn't find the "islamophobia" in that post.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27084 on: August 13, 2022, 12:06:46 AM »
you don't have to poll some muslims and find out if they think it was a ridiculous stabbing before you can make an assessment
Uncle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27085 on: August 13, 2022, 12:19:01 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-7#post-91508808

Quote from: RustyNails, post: 91508808, member: 8257
As a Muslim, if I can comment, I appreciate the mod team looking out for Islamophobic commentary. But this was bit of an over-correction. The poster was skating close but I don't think they meant to deride Muslims or Islam or anything like that, and I never reported them.

It would help if you had a Muslim mod member and I'm sorry, The Artisan doesn't count. He rarely posts and if he does, he's usually posting about The Weeknd. Unless he's heavily active behind the scenes and making decisions.

————

Quote from: Prine, post: 91507530, member: 6023
Rushdie made a loose connection to Islamic scripture by questioning if the Quran was the word of God, Irans Ayotolla put a bounty on his head for making that reference.

Quote from: RustyNails, post: 91509117, member: 8257
Rushdie referred to a un-authenticated account of Satanic Verses that was originally recorded by Ibn Ishaq without any verification. Ibn Ishaq (who was born 70-80 years after Prophet Muhammad died) was just a  historian collector of things people said or heard, and did not follow the hadith methods to verify the transmissions to write the biography. No sahih hadith exists of that account.

But the issue of Rushdie is related to his book, not just for referring to the Satanic Verses. He had other things written in his book, such as a brothel in Makkah with all the prostitutes named after Prophet Muhammad's wives, or a mad zealot named after Aisha.

So Khomenie put the bounty on his head for all of those writings, not just the issue of the Satanic Verses in particular.

:nothing
Margs

BIONIC

« Reply #27086 on: August 13, 2022, 12:24:27 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-5#post-91504362

Quote from: Zeliard, post: 91504362, member: 58109
If I may try to mediate a bit, there is at least a mild implication there with the “it shouldn’t be shocking” line that there is an inherent, direct link between Islam and acts of vengeful violence like this one; after all, you shouldn’t be shocked about these things because they just happen, and they happen because of something within Islam. There’s an implication there that generalizes it outwards and renders it less distinct from some of the rhetoric the right often uses. This is the same notion that feeds ghouls like Douglas Murray and his white genocide/great replacement theory, suggesting that Islam and the West are mutually incompatible at a basic foundational level and further immigration is leading to the death of Europe.

Beyond that, I think there’s a sense that Era isn’t very good, relatively-speaking (and I stress the latter), about its tolerance and openness towards Muslims, and that there’s a fairly small representation of Muslims on this forum in part because of that. I know that’s been brought up a few times before and admins/mods have had to respond to it.

I don’t know about the ban, but I’m not a mod so I’m not even going to opine there. I’m trying to suggest why it may have received the reaction it did.

I don’t think anyone posted this ballwasher earlier. Think he’s a former gaf mod but I’m not sure.
Margs

BIONIC

« Reply #27087 on: August 13, 2022, 12:33:38 AM »
Prominent members suspiciously posting around all the mod shaming :nothing

Quote from: Fat4all, post: 91506399, member: 906
man thats fucked up, just hearing about this now

i remember folks saying that something like this could happen but its been so long that i didnt think it would actually happen

———

Quote from: Morrigan, post: 91507326, member: 27
Attacked for trying to help writers that fascist fucks don't like huh. Absolutely vile. At least Mr. Reese is OK.

Things are not looking good for Rushdie though... :(

———
Quote from: Sabretooth, post: 91505217, member: 10699
Islamophobia can be conflated with racism, but I think it's rather stupid to consider it a blanket 'bad' given that it actively stops many atheist people of Muslim backgrounds from criticising Islam - case in point, the very subject of this thread.

Quote from: Matt, post: 91507488, member: 43
Of course Islamophobia is a blanket bad, that some bad actors can misuse or misapply the term doesn’t change that fact.

———

Shit4All practically lives on the forum. My ass he just saw the news  :lol
Margs

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27088 on: August 13, 2022, 12:36:03 AM »
RustyNails
It would help if you had a Muslim mod member and I'm sorry, The Artisan doesn't count. He rarely posts and if he does, he's usually posting about The Weeknd. Unless he's heavily active behind the scenes and making decisions.

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27089 on: August 13, 2022, 01:02:18 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/thq-nordic-showcase-goes-live-in-10-minutes-14-games-to-be-showcased.618993/page-3#post-91488402
Took three pages
any mention of an 8chan collab?
Seem to be lots of AA games on show, surprised this hasn't got more interest on era
They rightfully fell out of favour here by holding an AMA on 8chan. Lot of people avoid these threads, and their games in general.
Are we friends with THQ Nordic now?
I do not believe we are friends with any publisher/corporation. Why would we be?
Are we just ignoring that THQ Nordic are just a bunch of 4/8chan fanboys now?

ShutUp

« Reply #27090 on: August 13, 2022, 01:21:26 AM »

But like...

mods have some x-ray vision here to read things that aren't even in the post
:lol

Well they can detect blood alcohol levels through screens so X-ray vision just makes sense

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #27091 on: August 13, 2022, 02:01:59 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-4#post-91503009

Quote from: viskod
There’s definitely a mod here who lacks any semblance of objectivity and is prone to childish knee jerk reactions whenever something they don’t personally like has been posted.

Who could that be?  :teehee
OBE

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #27092 on: August 13, 2022, 02:12:59 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-7#post-91508994
Quote from: Dmitriivanalexeipavel
i think it's reductive to say there was a fatwa put out on Rushdie because he "shit talked their religion"

or rather just plain out wrong

Quote from: kmfdmpig
True, but it's closer to correct than saying he insulted Ayatollah Khomeini.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91509717
Quote from: Dmitriivanalexeipavel
i think that's exactly what happened, khomemini was insulted and lashed with religious righteousness
OBE

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #27093 on: August 13, 2022, 02:20:53 AM »
This has been going on since GAF. You can say all types of wild shit about Christianity, it's ties to white supremacy and racism etc etc without fearing a ban - and justifiably so. Yet any criticism of Islam will get you banned. This is what happens when whiteness dominates your perspective on everything. It's ok to criticize Christianity because the American Christians are white. We can laugh and shit on the anti-women, anti-thought, anti-progress nature of them because they're white but have to walk on egg shells when discussing the anti-women, anti-thought, anti-progress Muslims who behead people who draw cartoons?

BTW from his wikipedia...
The novel provoked great controversy in the Muslim community for what some Muslims believed were blasphemous references. They accused him of misusing freedom of speech.[11] Pakistan banned the book in November 1988. On 12 February 1989, a 10,000-strong protest against Rushdie and the book took place in Islamabad, Pakistan. Six protesters were killed in an attack on the American Cultural Center, and an American Express office was ransacked. As the controversy spread, the importing of the book was banned in India[12] and it was burned in demonstrations in the United Kingdom.

Meanwhile, the Commission for Racial Equality and a liberal think tank, the Policy Studies Institute, held seminars on the Rushdie affair. They did not invite the author Fay Weldon, who spoke out against burning books, but did invite Shabbir Akhtar, a Cambridge philosophy graduate who called for "a negotiated compromise" which "would protect Muslim sensibilities against gratuitous provocation". The journalist and author Andy McSmith wrote at the time "We are witnessing, I fear, the birth of a new and dangerously illiberal 'liberal' orthodoxy designed to accommodate Dr Akhtar and his fundamentalist friends."

Time is a flat circle...

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #27094 on: August 13, 2022, 02:55:45 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91511727

Quote from: RedRush94
Disclaimer: I have been a registered user on this site for several years now and while I truly believe that this site is better than most when handling social issues with the respect that such important topics deserve, I feel that members of the moderation team have been allowed to be abusive for far too long. Thus why I created this sockpuppet account for the purpose of posting this.

Over the years, I have witnessed several actions of questionable judgement by the moderation team. While I respect them for trying to keep this space free of bigotry and hate groups, several members of the moderation team seem to relish in acting cruel and snide to users in an incredibly disproportionate way. These same moderators, when acting badly (an occurrence which has been getting worse lately), are not reprimanded or held responsible for their behavior. Instead the administration of this site coddles them, refuses to acknowledge any wrong doing on their part, and refuses to allow the community any sense of transparency.

This behavior, along with the sexual harrassment/inappropriate behavior that I experienced at the hands of one of the moderators (my concerns and complaints of which were simply brushed by) and the gaslighting that I suffered because of it, makes me genuinely sad about the state of one of the most inclusive spaces in gaming.

I fully expect this account to get nuked and banned for posting this, hence why the creation of a sockpuppet account was necessary.

:popcorn
OBE

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27095 on: August 13, 2022, 03:01:57 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/one-piece-xiv-a-wano-reborn.592164/page-357#post-91494243
B-Dumbs
So, I'm going to say this because everyone seems up in their feelings due to the spoilers.

Please respect each other's preferences and don't attack each other based on what character they would prefer to join the crew.

I get you've all got preferences as to what you want, but remember that this is NOT your story. It's Oda's and he is free to do whatever he wants and all of you are free to have feelings and opinions on those developments. You're going to talk about it and debate and argue and all of that is fine, but please just respect each other when you do. There's no need to feast on salt or make inflammatory accusations or any of the other toxic behaviors that we all complain about other spaces getting up to.

Please, it's ok to disagree but at least try and respect each other's opinions and do not attack each other.

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #27096 on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:16 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91511838

Quote from: GhostTrick
I don't get the hate mods are getting on this one.
Sure, a better step would've been to at least ask what the poster had in mind. But let's be real, there's a reason why there's such suspicions around such topic.

Heck, even on this very thread, you have people who use this event to spout what they have in mind and wouldn't do otherwise, in a very transparent way.

Found who reported Acetown. :lol
OBE

Averon

« Reply #27097 on: August 13, 2022, 03:23:23 AM »
They need to get rid of the report button. It's been obvious for a while now it's been abused, and it makes it too easy to for vindictive shits to use it to get someone banned.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #27098 on: August 13, 2022, 03:27:46 AM »

But like...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-5#post-91504560

:what :confused :derp
ὕβρις

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27099 on: August 13, 2022, 04:00:10 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91511838

I don't get the hate mods are getting on this one.
Sure, a better step would've been to at least ask what the poster had in mind. But let's be real, there's a reason why there's such suspicions around such topic.

Heck, even on this very thread, you have people who use this event to spout what they have in mind and wouldn't do otherwise, in a very transparent way.

Found who reported Acetown. :lol
Oh god, I remember that guy.  Dude went apeshit when Bronson Lee's alt accused him of harassing lol

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #27100 on: August 13, 2022, 04:05:26 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91512369
Quote from: Stop It
If your response to your beliefs being challenged is to want to murder someone, you're a murderer.

Your religious views is a personal choice which everyone should have a right to. Nobody should be targeted for their religious beliefs but the teachings within, and the religions themselves should not be beyond reproach.

The whole problem with this situation is that it shows how religious freedom cannot mean the freedom to oppress those who disagree. Fundamentalism around the world ends up with deaths and war due to this and it must be said that Islam is often the victim of the results of religious fundamentalism and intolerance of disagreement. Just look at Myanmar and the treatment of the Rohingya community.

Rushdie has been targeted for years for daring to write uncomfortable things. If being challenged to confront things we don't like to hear resulted in organised attempts to kill people like this in general, we wouldn't have a functional society.

I don't really understand your point here. Maybe I'm misreading it or something, but are you saying that what happens to muslim communities in some countries is the result of fundamentalism and religious intolerance, as some sort of reaction to that ?

Quote from: Stop It
What the fuck are you on about.

The Rohingya are the victims of religious fundamentalism in the form of nationalist Bhuddism. In India, Islam is often the target of Hindu nationalists egged on by The BJP. Christian fundamentalism fuelled so many conflicts and oppression I don't even need to list them.

Religious fundamentalism creates only victims, and the violent intolerance of those who disagree with religious views only creates victims, with no solution.

Well, this is why I asked you beforehand, to make sure if I was misreading or not and not throwing accusations.

I thought that you meant that religious fundamentalism from some muslims was the reason muslims were also victims of other intolerances.

Definitely the guy who reported Acetown's post. :lol
OBE

ShutUp

« Reply #27101 on: August 13, 2022, 04:06:10 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-8#post-91511727

Quote from: RedRush94
Disclaimer: I have been a registered user on this site for several years now and while I truly believe that this site is better than most when handling social issues with the respect that such important topics deserve, I feel that members of the moderation team have been allowed to be abusive for far too long. Thus why I created this sockpuppet account for the purpose of posting this.

Over the years, I have witnessed several actions of questionable judgement by the moderation team. While I respect them for trying to keep this space free of bigotry and hate groups, several members of the moderation team seem to relish in acting cruel and snide to users in an incredibly disproportionate way. These same moderators, when acting badly (an occurrence which has been getting worse lately), are not reprimanded or held responsible for their behavior. Instead the administration of this site coddles them, refuses to acknowledge any wrong doing on their part, and refuses to allow the community any sense of transparency.

This behavior, along with the sexual harrassment/inappropriate behavior that I experienced at the hands of one of the moderators (my concerns and complaints of which were simply brushed by) and the gaslighting that I suffered because of it, makes me genuinely sad about the state of one of the most inclusive spaces in gaming.

I fully expect this account to get nuked and banned for posting this, hence why the creation of a sockpuppet account was necessary.

:popcorn

Say what now?  :crazy

Snoopycat_

« Reply #27102 on: August 13, 2022, 04:53:05 AM »
Prominent members suspiciously posting around all the mod shaming :nothing

Morrigan was probably busy ironing her fave t-shirt - The only good Muslim is a dead one - when the prominent alarm went off.

Boredfrom

« Reply #27103 on: August 13, 2022, 05:04:47 AM »
Quote from: RustyNail
As a Muslim, if I can comment, I appreciate the mod team looking out for Islamophobic commentary. But this was bit of an over-correction. The poster was skating close but I don't think they meant to deride Muslims or Islam or anything like that, and I never reported them.

No, he wasn’t. He was pretty polite and not hateful at all. The fact that is enough to almost getting your jimmies rustled makes his point stronger.

Having another minority mod will not help given how they choose them (friends of friends and bootlickers) and their track record (most minority mods being the worst mods of the forum).

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27104 on: August 13, 2022, 06:31:07 AM »

Luckily, the essential diplomat Poodlestrike is there to de-escalate the issue.

Well done, Chief. Mission accomplished.

:wow

Looks like they got (duh duh) dumbfucked

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27105 on: August 13, 2022, 06:33:08 AM »
Quote from: LumberPanda
Remember when whataboutism was a bannable offense? Anyways, here's a 3 month ban for not introducing whataboutism into your post.

:delicious

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27106 on: August 13, 2022, 06:35:54 AM »
Bit weird the Authorised Opinions Triumvirate can flip-flop on this ban within a few hours, but can't work out how long a ban for advocating murder should be for, innit?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27107 on: August 13, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
There is no bigger sign that an ideology has become toxic than when it is openly hostile to literature, and that goes beyond just religion. Book burning comes to mind, popularized by Nazi Germany but goes back to ancient times.

It is the penultimate form of censorship, and what happened to Salman is reprehensible. I wish him a speedy recovery.

:thinking

It's not just literature, though is it? For example, maybe if you find it acceptable to attack a comedian with a knife there is something wrong with your ideology

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27108 on: August 13, 2022, 07:03:43 AM »
Are we 100% sure salman rushdie didn't say something mean about mohammeds wife to make this fully justified though?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27109 on: August 13, 2022, 07:05:42 AM »
There was already a thread on this, but I am not thread whining, actually I am thanking you for creating a second one. As many know I am always complaining about fake allies in trans threads and this is exactly my point. Anything positive or platitude driven half of era acts like they care and "trans rights are humans rights", just look at the Bridget thread on gaming side that goes on forever. Yet threads about dire shit and the attempts in the states and parts of europe right now to genocide us, you know actual real world issues that matter and affect actual real world human lives and it's crickets and lucky if it even see a second page. Never mind the length of trans people in sports threads filled withJAQing off and supposed allies that find that a bridge too far and go on about male puberty and their uninformed opinions of biology when what studies have been done (and granted there haven't been many) show after about two years of medical transitioning those advantages are gone which is where the Olympics came up with their guidelines and no the other recent trans bans like in soccer and rugby are not any kind of authority, a quick search of the"science" they claim is just an opinion piece and there are no studies or research backing them up.

But anyways not trying to derail I just know some people have an issue with what I say and the tone I say it in every trans thread but I think the fact this thread has been done twice and the first died before two pages and no one even noticed to point it out or report it proves exactly what I keep saying and justifies how often I post it, that Era is mostly filled with fair weather allies which means they really are not at all, just waiting for someone to say my attitude pushes people away, which if one angry trans person who has had enough calling people out pushes you away from supporting trans people, again you were not on our side to begin with.

As for the subject I will say the same as the last thread, federal money should have a federal standard. They do things like this out of "states rights" but whenever they have power and a progressive state implements progressive policies with federal funds they have no problem cutting or trying to cut off funding over the fact it's federal money, they did it as recently as trump in office. Death Merchants all of them trying to genocide us and anyone still saying it's not an attempt to erase us from society at this point with evidence like this can get fucked.

Just because me and a few posters like me have made topics like this a toxic no mans land nobody wants to go near doesn't mean you so called allies shouldn't post here you fucking fuck fuckers

Averon

« Reply #27110 on: August 13, 2022, 07:20:14 AM »
There is no bigger sign that an ideology has become toxic than when it is openly hostile to literature, and that goes beyond just religion. Book burning comes to mind, popularized by Nazi Germany but goes back to ancient times.

It is the penultimate form of censorship, and what happened to Salman is reprehensible. I wish him a speedy recovery.

It's not just literature, though is it? For example, maybe if you find it acceptable to attack a comedian with a knife there is something wrong with your ideology

I'd love to see them try posting that in a JKR/Harry Potter thread and see how fast they get banned. They literally post pics of their ripped up Harry Potter books in the offical JKR hate thread. It's effectively no different from book burning.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #27111 on: August 13, 2022, 07:30:30 AM »
If mods and admin can just read whatever they want into a post then damn near any post can be misinterpreted into something ban worthy

:letsfukk
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #27112 on: August 13, 2022, 07:57:11 AM »

As someone who has probably stand more standup comedy than anyone here I can personally attest that wanting to rush onstage with a knife and stab a comedian is a perfectly natural urge.

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #27113 on: August 13, 2022, 08:08:26 AM »
Salman Rushdie fucked around and found out. Sometimes physical violence is an appropriate response to words. Anybody who suggests otherwise is Islamophobic or leads a sheltered life.
 :ufup
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:15:16 AM by Hap Shaughnessy »
OBE

BIONIC

« Reply #27114 on: August 13, 2022, 08:23:43 AM »
Quote from: krazen, post: 91515219, member: 14325
Because the users want to witch hunt, demand answers, insinuate conspiracy theories for whats often an honest mistake.  And tbh, being forthcoming is sometimes not worth it because when a mod comes in with a rare ‘my bad’ the users usually attack them?  On some ‘we deserve answers, you guys are systemically terrible and suck’ when it might have been a motherfucker making a call 2am after working hard at their real job instead of this volunteer one?

Even this post is weird because I stepped in, saw homie got banned, stepped back in hours later and he was unbanned and everyone is still flipping out hours later - they owed them an apology but I don’t get this ‘the mods need to get on their knees and apologize for their sins to the community’ entitlement.  And we don’t have to even get into the bad actors that whoo ride whenever the mods fuck up.

I get pointing out systemic issues in moderation; no one is immune to bias.  But man, here it’s usually a ‘gotcha!’ moment where the glee is to shit on all the moderation in general.

:popular :nothing :popular
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27115 on: August 13, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »
*Biden fist bumps Iran's Supreme leader after they both sign the JCPOA*

"Thanks for the oil Jack, I never liked his books either"
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #27116 on: August 13, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-7#post-91508808

Quote from: RustyNails, post: 91509117, member: 8257
[...]

So Khomenie put the bounty on his head for all of those writings, not just the issue of the Satanic Verses in particular.

:nothing

Oh OK well then I guess it was perfectly reasonable and justified.

BIONIC

« Reply #27117 on: August 13, 2022, 08:45:48 AM »
Constructive thread:

Quote from: echoshifting, post: 91512933, member: 1917
While I strongly disagreed with the moderation decision in question, I think the way that thread is going right now makes a pretty clear case for the moderation team's aversion to revisiting these decisions in any open discussion format. Like...the mistake was rectified. The explanations and defense of the decision offered was not satisfying for many people, but there's just no excuse for how far people are willing to take these conflicts. It's the same song and dance every time - old grievances, dummy accounts, mods are fascists/cops (in this case there's even a comparison to an extremist terrorist!). Some - not all, but some - of these posts are outright abusive, and there's little that can be done about them that won't turn the heat up even higher, other than waiting for things to get completely out of control and locking the thread. As someone who is very interested in the topic of that thread, and would like to follow updates, it's very frustrating. I would be disappointed if the discussion had to be shut down, but I would hardly blame the team for doing so at this point.

To your point though [USER=4043]kmfdmpig[/USER]. I do agree there should be a more robust avenue for the community to raise some concerns and questions of this sort, provided that it is not so harmful to the team. Something that was floated years ago, I believe in this very thread, is a couple people in a community liasion role of some sort, a role that is separate and removed from moderation decisions, who can proactively gather community feedback when stuff like this happens and filter it down to a constructive, non-toxic summary that could be brought to the team. Maybe that's still not the solution, but for the sake of threads like this one I do also wish there was an appropriate avenue to do this that didn't feel like screeching into the void to so many people. It just seems to come up over and over again and the lack of an outlet, one the community finds agreeable, only ever raises the tension and divide between the community and the moderation team. I hate seeing something like this happen and feeling so cynical about how it's going to turn out for all involved.

Quote from: Dmax3901, post: 91514562, member: 4989
I've never understood how upset people get at mods. Like I get thinking a ban was unfair but fucking chill out it's a video game forum? People acting like a misjudged ban (that was rescinded soon after) is the same as getting locked in prison overnight.

There has to be a middle ground between not speaking up when you feel a ban is unfair and just spewing vitriol for pages and pages.

Quote from: waterpuppy, post: 91514667, member: 100398
I read through the thread and definitely found the mods actions questionable, but the fact that some people then went on to ask that whoever reported the post in the first place "explain themselves" felt extremely witchunt-y.

A lot of the time controversial mod desicions like these often turn into an excuse for people to just harass the mod team and compare them to fascists. There must be a better way to express that you disagree with certain mod actions.

Quote from: Tuppen, post: 91516437, member: 34657
Agreed that there are posts in that thread that call for names of who reported the post and which mod(s) took the decision to issue the ban. I don't think that naming names will solve anything, that will only make the ungrateful mod-work even worse. Unbanning the poster but in the thread still claiming that the content is ban-worthy is confusing though. It leaves me wondering what is and isn't ok to write.

:popular :nothing :popular
Margs

Propagandhim

« Reply #27118 on: August 13, 2022, 08:46:32 AM »
Because the users want to witch hunt, demand answers, insinuate conspiracy theories for whats often an honest mistake.  And tbh, being forthcoming is sometimes not worth it because when a mod comes in with a rare ‘my bad’ the users usually attack them?

This sounds like a familiar scenario.

I've never understood how upset people get at mods. Like I get thinking a ban was unfair but fucking chill out it's a video game forum?

Oh, now it's a video game forum.  I was confused because the mods are tasked with defending against the inherent disregard of religion, racial separatism, and the 'dismantling of capitalism.'  I forgot it was just a video game forum.   :duh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:51:05 AM by Propagandhim »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27119 on: August 13, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »
Between this and Iran selling weapons to Ulraine its time for the US and Europe to bury the idea of making a deal with Iran, IMO.

oh, you don't say.
🤴