Author Topic: Horizon Forbidden Waifu  (Read 9460 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Horizon Forbidden Waifu
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »
Hello, friends.

It's almost that time again when Sony Interactive Entertainment will be releasing one of their bi-yearly AAA 3RD PERSON ACTION-ADVENTURE OPEN WORLD GAMES this time exclusively for the Playstation 5 for the PS4, PS4Pro and PS5 (and eventually PC  :teehee).

Horizon Forbidden West is the follow up to the very good Horizon Zero Dawn. Guerrilla Games managed to get this sequel out in just under 5 years, which can not be said of the Zelda team within Nintendo EPD. Thanks, Aonuma.

here are some videos

Releases February 18th

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:aloy
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Horizon Forbidden Waifu
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
Also important to mention that, in a gaming first, the main character of this game is a woman. Thank you Sony.

Svejk

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »
I'm excited to play it, but like ZD, it's coming out about the same time as a much more anticipated game (Elden Ring).  I ended up not getting around to ZD till almost a year later for $20, but thoroughly enjoyed it after playing first the superior Nier:Automata and BOTW.  The gameplay and graphics were top tier though.  I thought the story was good enough... The robodinos are cool, the people portions were dumb... And Aloy's voice actor is borderline obnoxious and is totally overrated.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »
I'll wait and see if this gets a PC port like the original did.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
I’ll play it on ps4 and save myself $600+
fat

Let's Cyber

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 05:20:55 AM »
Also important to mention that, in a gaming first, the main character of this game is a woman. Thank you Sony.
Hmm excuse me. A strong, independent woman who don't need no man.
I'll wait and see if this gets a PC port like the original did.
100% coming to PC eventually. It think it was also one of the Sony games listed in the Nvidia leak too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
I enjoyed the first one, but it overstayed its welcome a bit. I heard the expansion was good, but couldn’t convince myself to go back to it.

This one, I will prolly wait for a price break.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 07:24:56 AM »

Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developers Guerrilla Games and Firespirte have announced Horizon Call of the Mountain for PlayStation VR2.

We don’t want to reveal too much just yet, but this story will be told through the eyes of an entirely new character. You will also meet Aloy, other familiar faces, and new characters along the way, and we’ll be introducing you to the protagonist of Horizon Call of the Mountain soon.
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 09:58:22 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developers Guerrilla Games and Firespirte have announced Horizon Call of the Mountain for PlayStation VR2.

We don’t want to reveal too much just yet, but this story will be told through the eyes of an entirely new character. You will also meet Aloy, other familiar faces, and new characters along the way, and we’ll be introducing you to the protagonist of Horizon Call of the Mountain soon.

VR handholding with Aloy. 😳
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 02:05:37 PM »

VR handholding with Aloy. 😳
:aloy "Grab my five little hogs and come with me..."

Svejk

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 08:40:22 AM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 03:57:13 PM »

The draw distance for foliage in FW looks massively improved on PS5 compared to HZD.

Super curious to see what the PS4 version of this looks like. That DF comparison video will be fun.

Svejk

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 08:42:22 AM »
I hope they don't shoe horn a "love interest story" in this game... The thought of it makes me want to vomit.  Please keep that shit out of my robo killing action game.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 01:21:21 PM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 05:55:36 PM »

Cauldrons confirmed back.

I'm def down for the Road Rash racing mini-game.

Svejk

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 09:26:30 AM »
Being a sucker for cosmetics, it's total BS that they have the pre-order outfits and weapons locked behind the PS5 deluxe version only.  Yeah, they claim you get the PS5 upgrade for free now if you get the PS4 version, but no option to get a PS4 Deluxe Edition... It's only the standard. If you want all that stuff, you have to order the $80 PS5 one.  You're doing this all wrong, Sony!  :rage

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 05:24:35 PM »
smashed through the zero dawn campaign over the long weekend. s tier popcorn hollywood gaming. funny that this and the new pokemon i finished last week are both riffing on monster hunter structure or combat. really love the combat in this, and the way they ramp you up to taking down the big bois is so satisfying, really looking forward to what new robots they're going to hit us with in the sequel. playing on hard was still fairly easy sticking close to the main questline but deviating for some of the challenges (found the hunting trials really good for collecting consumables eg getting heaps of blaze from rinsing and repeating the grazer trial in the nora hunting grounds getting 50+ blaze per run when needed between missions). getting a grapple and a damn glider is going to be sick. will continue with the DLC this week. i ended up finding the story and characters quite engaging, there's some tommy wiseau tier dialogue and acting at points, and the facial animations can be goofy as fuck especially when the game is so po faced, but i kinda liked that goofiness and the overall plot played out well. really like aloy. some local stores already got great dealz on the physical PS5 version price matching PS4 and significantly cheaper than digital lmao. prob won't bother with deluxe, but i'll def be picking this up at some point. maybe not straight away with elden ring coming out the next week. seems the sort of game i'll want to play for a good while and i don't really want to delay jumping into the latter, but im tempted. sequel looks so good.
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 06:45:16 AM »
I managed to find my screenshots from when I played ZD.  :)  Went crazy with the photomode... And these were off a base PS4 too...

[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 07:10:58 AM »
Sexy as hell. Good job.

Svejk

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 08:36:53 AM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »
i ended up finding the story and characters quite engaging, there's some tommy wiseau tier dialogue and acting at points, and the facial animations can be goofy as fuck especially when the game is so po faced
iirc most of the animation during dialogue was done by hand in the main game. They mo-capped the actors for the Frozen Wilds DLC so the lip-sync and facial animation is much, much better. The also move their hands and bodies more so they don't look like robots during conversations.

The DLC is the best part of that game. It has the most difficult machine encounters, the best weapons (the banuk bows are objectively better), more elaborate sidequests and some nice super-weapons for each elemental type. The Icerail  :whew

naff

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 02:59:42 PM »
I played through the intro of frozen wilds after getting the ancient armor last night. That armor is p sweet. I like how those evil robot trees force you to stealth in and disable em before attempting the surrounding enemies. Good enemies so far, just caught up with Ourea et al and did some fast travelling climbing vantages, did a cauldron. Lf to getting more time with this DLC. Seems great.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »
I hope they don't shoe horn a "love interest story" in this game... The thought of it makes me want to vomit.  Please keep that shit out of my robo killing action game.

wouldn't be surprised if they attempt something more like the witcher in the sequel regarding that. would make sense to me :yeshrug the game already feels like a mashup of that and so many other arpg's, aloys 20, it's a story based rpg that takes itself p seriously. be kinda weird to ignore that entirely.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 05:09:57 PM »
now. if they have you tryna fuck with erend.... woof. no thankyou. that dude is scust... in all seriousness i wish they updated his character to not look like such a raging dickhead :doge
◕‿◕

Let's Cyber

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
Accessibility options detailed. Gyro aiming is in.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/accessibility-features-in-horizon-forbidden-west/

No Ultra Hard mode, really hope it just got rolled into Very Hard and we have NG+ at launch. 

Svejk

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 01:45:16 PM »
Accessibility options detailed. Gyro aiming is in.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/accessibility-features-in-horizon-forbidden-west/

No Ultra Hard mode, really hope it just got rolled into Very Hard and we have NG+ at launch.
Gyro aiming with DualSense haptics?  :whew

naff

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2022, 05:30:34 PM »

flying mounts  8)
◕‿◕

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
Reviews trickling in look good
jon

Let's Cyber

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »
I'm tempted to watch the Digital Foundry tech review video but we're so close now, I'd rather just play the damn thing.

The little bit of PS5 quality mode footage I saw looks like fire tho

naff

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 05:55:10 PM »
can't fault the criticism of the fiddly traversal. it's the worst part of the original and it sounds like they've done nothing to change that. that said, i think free form traversal would break a lot of their encounter design and i much prefer that and the combat in horizon generally to what breath of the wild and assassins creed offer.

i think my biggest gripe with the game alongside the linear "press forward to experience" climbing traversal is going to be that shitty item wheel again. i can't believe they didn't change that. an unsortable bag of shit to scroll through full of important items is just objectively terrible UX. i sell everything but health potions. a minor issue, but it constantly annoyed me in HZD.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2022, 08:39:26 PM »

as expected, looks stunning.

"it lacks the tedium and checklist nature of other open world games"

can just jam the critical path then engage with the sidequests later. deviate at will. just like the original. "some minor level gating" sounds the same as the original though where it's just a guide, no damage scaling or anything. think i will pick this up friday and jam the critical path before elden ring the next friday.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2022, 09:08:36 PM »
I like what I'm hearing about the open world. I hate the tedium feeling in them and to me, that was the strength of the first game.

Getting excited.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Kestastrophe

jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »

Aw yes
fat

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 11:53:27 AM »
Already got my copy. Guess we Dutch have Dutch privilege as we get the game a day early.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »

Damn didnt know it had flying mounts, glad it does!
What

Svejk

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »

Damn didnt know it had flying mounts, glad it does!
Holy crap, my daughter's gonna lose her mind over that! Lol  :heart

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 11:53:02 PM »
I want to take a moment to applaud OP's genius titling of this thread, which makes me giggle every time I read it.

Bebpo

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2022, 04:01:37 AM »
The texture work in this game is insane. It's like Naughty Dog level of every freaking texture looking crazy detailed.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2022, 04:12:44 AM »
It's a shame they don't scale well. Hard choice between the 60fps gameplay and the 30fps clean graphics.

Bebpo

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2022, 05:09:56 AM »
Yeah, I just spent 62 hours playing Horizon at 60fps, but I'm playing this at 30fps. Was jarring at first but got used to it.

Need that PS5 Pro already.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2022, 07:00:26 AM »
General impressions from the first 4ish hours.

The side quest stuff and exploration are really good so far.  The level design from of one of the first sidequests was very reminiscent of God Of War 2018. A lot more environmental puzzles and interacting with your surroundings. There are Metroid-style locked off areas you'll need to come back to later with specialized equipment. Not super unique nowadays but it's a good fit for this series. There are hidden underground cave systems which look amazing. Really feels like they took criticisms of the first game pretty seriously.

Extra materials go straight to the stash, no hassle. I've spent ZERO time looking at or managing the inventory screen so far. What a major improvement over the first game, holy shit.

I'm kinda torn on the opening tutorial mission just because it's pretty long but it provides connective tissue to the first game that I appreciate. I also liked that we spend time
at the Spire in Meridian and catch up with some of the characters from the first game.
[close]

Graphics really need to be seen to be believed. Shitty youtube compression doesn't do this justice at 4k. I just finished up Pokemon Legends so 30 fps doesn't bother me too much at the moment.   :P

naff

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 08:12:03 AM »
damn, it was the easiest choice in the world for me to go with 60. it's a little softer, but barely noticeable in action so far. judder of the img is night and day.

certainly a more interactive game so far. see what they mean abt the world being the same size but much deeper in scope. lots of little puzzles, diving down to the bottom of lakes, moving things around, exploring ruins, environment design is so sick. one of the coolest looking games I've played. really picks up after meeting Carrie-Anne Moss and the crew. have some thoughts abt what's going on, but it's mostly a mystery and I'm as intrigued if not more so than I was in zero dawn.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:58 AM »
Gonna be interesting to see what Bend achieve in Decima, so far Death Stranding and this are two of the best looking games I've played.
◕‿◕

Let's Cyber

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 08:58:22 AM »
How many hours in are you naff?

I'm still putzing around Chainscrape after 7 lol

naff

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2022, 09:51:23 AM »
I think a little more or similar to that? played from the afternoon through evening but took a few breaks. did a little sidequesting around chainscrape. I'm quite underlevel wrt the main quest on hard now. haven't messed around with any merchants etc, took a "do you want to proceed with this now?" quest then realised I should've probably stocked up/sold some things. with everything just going to your stash, it's so easy to continue playing without paying attention to merchants. I did get the explosive spear from a sidequests, but apart from that that's the only other weapon I've got so far heh. started getting ohko'd by some enemies on this mission now, quite a spike in difficulty, but I managed to just be cautious and pull through. will do a little gearing up once I'm done with this quest.

put a few levels into the +crit chance / dmg special and the arrow volley ability. otherwise just all passives around extra dmg, slowmo shooting, stamina and valor regen.
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
Y'all enjoy! Looking forward to hearing more about it.  :)  Sounds pretty awesome in improvement so far.

Reading about the accessibility options.. Being able to adjust the weapon wheel slowdown speed?   :aah   There's apparently an easy auto loot option too, but it can hinder arena times or something of the like??
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:08:03 AM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2022, 01:43:15 PM »
I feel like this game may need a couple weeks/months in the oven of patching. They already patched the shimmering a bit this morning. Even quality mode had some shimmering issues which seem cleared up today.

But I'm getting weird stuff like pop-in. Even during the opening title cinematic there's a scene where she's riding through an area and bunches of grass just start popping on the barren rock and I got to a town and a person popped in a second late out of thin air like there's some texture/model loading lag.

I'm sure it'll get ironed out and maybe performance mode will get some AA solution for all the foilage shimmer. Coming from Horizon 1 at 60fps on PS5 BC, the image quality in performance mode is a pretty big step down. Horizon 1/FW looked a bit lower resolution but had a pretty clean nice image. So I'm sucking it up at 30fps here for the IQ.

naff

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2022, 03:29:28 PM »
lol, I haven't noticed that bebs. was going to ask if you have sharpening or other post processing effects on, on your TV that exacerbate this, but I see they did patch it. the environment and model detail is on a whole 'nother level next to zero dawn.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2022, 03:52:11 PM »
the pop in/stuttering in cinematic cuts is real. but i find it hard to care abt that kind of thing
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2022, 04:06:55 PM »
Yeah, it's not a big deal. I mean I played Mass Effect on Xbox 360 and that had load in up the ass. I'm sure it's something that will get fixed in the first major patch update. I'm dropping this for Elden Ring next week, so by the time I come back there will probably be a good patch or two.

And I saw that shimmering fix in Patch #1 only applies to quality mode. Almost makes me want to replay that opening area because even in 30fps quality it looked a bit off with a lot of shimmering.

I just can't do 60fps mode in this game. It looks better & worse than Horizon 1 and for me I rate IQ higher than actual graphics in game visuals. I feel the graphics here are really close to Naughty Dog level but the difference is that ND would have shaved a bit off the graphics and use that extra gpu bandwith to clean up the IQ instead for a nice image. Someone said it's basically their TAA solution isn't great and with all the foilage it's rough.

30fps mode IQ is at least passable. It's not the cleanest, but it's fine but then you gotta deal with the 30fps feel.

I gotta say the cutscene direction & models are so improved it's not even funny. I actually enjoy the dialogue stuff now lol.

I don't like the new UI in the menu or picking up items. Just feels too sharp and sterile vs cavemen/dino hunter look of the original.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2022, 11:06:38 PM »
Holy shit this game is gorgeous in person.....hdr implementation and textures are fantastic. Those mossy green rocks at the beginning had me stopping and zooming in, so good
jon

Svejk

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2022, 12:26:47 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2022, 03:01:19 AM »
This game is fucking broken. Encountered like a memory leak thing where the FPS kept dropping and stuttering kept getting worse. I didn't know when my last auto-save was so I kept playing in performance mode at like 5fps.

This is in performance mode and you can see the stuttering. Closing the game and restarting fixed it complete with a weird video signal glitch just as it did.

Between the pop in stuff, the glitches and the fact that climbing is total shit now I'm just feeling pretty burned on this coming from the first game which at this point is polished as hell. Climbing went from scripted smooth sections to fucking Assassin's Creed buggy ass jumping and falling constantly off shit and not going where you want. I absolutely hate platforming in Forbidden West in interior small areas with the camera being super tight. The first relic ruin in the Daunt was a mess.

The game isn't bad, but I'm just not having a lot of fun coming directly from the first game. They changed a lot and I felt like the first game was pretty damn good and didn't need a ton of changing, just some of the weaker things and new content.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:07:44 AM by Bebpo »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2022, 05:14:14 AM »
I had a weird audio bug after a story mission but a restart cleared it up. Might want to wait a few weeks for some patches to smooth those things out. TBH the first game had some issues too, it's just that GG was good with getting fixes out. By the time Frozen Wilds dropped, it was a much better experience than it was a launch. They also added some QoL stuff along the way so this will no doubt be a cleaner game this spring and summer.

Once you get to the Forbidden West proper, it starts to feel a lot more like the first game. Big, wide open areas with bosses roaming around. The Daunt is really kind of a condensed sampler plate of the activities you'll encounter and a continuation of the tutorial. It is also sanitized because there aren't really any big threats to worry about yet. The star of the first game was the open world boss encounters and you don't really get any of that sense of danger in the Daunt unfortunately.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:18:43 AM by Let's Cyber »

Kestastrophe

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
Haven't encountered any bugs yet, but read something about restarting the game twice to solve some of them
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2022, 01:40:03 PM »
I had a weird audio bug after a story mission but a restart cleared it up. Might want to wait a few weeks for some patches to smooth those things out. TBH the first game had some issues too, it's just that GG was good with getting fixes out. By the time Frozen Wilds dropped, it was a much better experience than it was a launch. They also added some QoL stuff along the way so this will no doubt be a cleaner game this spring and summer.

Once you get to the Forbidden West proper, it starts to feel a lot more like the first game. Big, wide open areas with bosses roaming around. The Daunt is really kind of a condensed sampler plate of the activities you'll encounter and a continuation of the tutorial. It is also sanitized because there aren't really any big threats to worry about yet. The star of the first game was the open world boss encounters and you don't really get any of that sense of danger in the Daunt unfortunately.

Yeah, the intro being a really long handholding tutorial after an already short hand holding intro doesn't help.

I mean that i couldn't even use shops and sell my shit until like 4-5 hours in was  :-\

I also really dislike exploring around and discovering an area only to be told I can't access it now and to come back later with a specific tool.

Been exploring and doing all the side stuff in the Daunt and just finally got back to the main story and unlocked the shops.