Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 152319 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1920 on: December 24, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1921 on: December 24, 2022, 07:06:44 PM »
How do we know that's Russian produced and not just some whackjob Republican who idolises Putin?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's the football at the end. It's a real football, not a handegg.
[close]
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1922 on: December 24, 2022, 09:25:37 PM »

benjipwns

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1925 on: December 25, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
I get a feeling it's just AI content at this point.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1926 on: December 25, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »
🤴

james

« Reply #1927 on: December 25, 2022, 06:59:51 PM »
I get a feeling it's just AI content at this point.

Its called bot content you woke garbage

benjipwns

« Reply #1928 on: December 25, 2022, 11:26:14 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1929 on: December 25, 2022, 11:42:52 PM »
OAKLAND, Cali.—Deep in a redwood forest in California’s Castro Valley, the crowd of about 75 people was hard to miss. Not only because of the DJs kicking off dance parties, tables full of snacks and sparkling water, and people sharing shrooms and cannabis. But everyone there was also “melanated,” as one member described. Some even wore traditional African garments or golden halo crowns.

They’d traveled to the confluence of canyons about half an hour’s drive from downtown Oakland to celebrate the two-year anniversary of Negus (which means “king” in the Ethiopian language Amharic) in Nature. The group, which now has more than 300 subscribers, plans outdoor excursions around Oakland for Black people and provides a space for them to microdose on magic mushrooms, particularly as a way to heal from racial trauma.

“We’re really tapping into what's organic and what's natural to us. And so coming into nature with some psilocybin, with some good people, with some good herb, with some good music, some good drinks, some good food and no alcohol—you're going to have yourself a good time guaranteed,” Negus in Nature founder Langstyn Williams, dressed in an Afrofuturistic top with blue, orange, red, and yellow patterns, said to the group at the June 4 party.

“I believed that there was a space that was needed for Black people to feel safe and comfortable in nature. And I didn't know one that existed. So I was like, ‘I'm gonna go create it’,” he continued into a microphone.

While the vibe was celebratory, the party had an underlying poignancy. Williams, 30, asked people to shout out the names of ancestors they want to remember before leading a grounding ceremony, where he told people to breathe deeply and “let all the bullshit out that don't serve you no more.” His friend Luna Bey, a historian, followed up by instructing guests to set an intention for their shrooms trips.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1930 on: December 26, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1931 on: December 26, 2022, 10:44:42 AM »
https://twitter.com/GeeksGamersCom/status/1607119990808870913

Yikes ooffff

There's a clip of the cast arguing why you should be excited for the show and it feels pretty strange.

https://twitter.com/witchernetflix/status/1606620711061278721

Like people are supposed to get excited that "it's the first time two men kiss in the witcher show"? It's 2022, tons of shows have gay characters, this doesn't set you apart at all. And somehow no one talks about what is supposed to be great about the story itself

HaughtyFrank

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #1934 on: December 26, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1935 on: December 26, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »
Also Crit Drinker's schtick is being annoyed about anything with a veneer of intellectualism, I wouldn't use him as any kind of quality barometer for entertainment. He gets more clicks the angrier his audience is and it's more transparent with his channel in particular.

Tasty

« Reply #1936 on: December 26, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/cornicelliny/status/1606267796223991813

??? ???

Where's the inaccuracy? Are they saying Christians don't believe in a son of God? :thinking

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1937 on: December 26, 2022, 03:54:34 PM »
Where's the inaccuracy? Are they saying Christians don't believe in a son of God? :thinking

I think that its because its not stated as a verified scientifically provable objective fact but as a 'belief' which is basically just a strong opinion

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1938 on: December 26, 2022, 04:33:42 PM »
I think the idea is that supposedly any previous president would've simply said he is the son of god instead of using a phrase that separates oneself from the group of those who believe it

remember that basically every US president in history has had to at least pretend to be a christian
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1939 on: December 26, 2022, 04:44:47 PM »
Doesn't the new testament use the term "Son of Man" almost exclusively?
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #1940 on: December 26, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »

I think that its because its not stated as a verified scientifically provable objective fact but as a 'belief' which is basically just a strong opinion

If it's scientifically provable then it's not "faith" either. :thinking

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1941 on: December 26, 2022, 05:57:14 PM »

If it's scientifically provable then it's not "faith" either. :thinking

but faith in things increases as you gain more evidence

if you're given a car that looks kind of shitty you might say "well I guess I'll have to have faith that this gets me where I'm going"

then you drive it for a few weeks and have no issues, you wouldn't suddenly start saying "I've completely lost faith in this car"

you've GAINED faith in it, due to evidence that it works
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1943 on: December 26, 2022, 07:12:53 PM »
Crazy stuff. I love both Witcher seasons, but I haven’t had time to check this out yet. I wonder if it’s really shit, or if it’s getting review bombed for being woke or whatever the fuck.
Margs

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1944 on: December 26, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
I thought it was going to be gobshite like almost 100% of woke shit is... but it's actually not bad I would say it's better put together than the main series but then again it's not surprising since the producers/writers/etc supposedly hated The Witcher in all of it's iterations or whatever so they put all their passion into this show.

When I was watching this show I was like I'm surprised a melanetad individual wasn't the MC/Jesus but I spoke too soon and she showed up and I almost spat my sodie pops out in laughter.  :lol
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1945 on: December 27, 2022, 02:02:35 PM »

UUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone's gay! My mom - gay! My dad - gay! My brother, my sister, my cat is gay! They say dogs hate cats but my dog is butch! Every one on my tv shows likes toys in their toosh! Everyone's gay, gay, gay!

There is no gay agenda btw
[close]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 02:08:19 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1946 on: December 27, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

UUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone's gay! My mom - gay! My dad - gay! My brother, my sister, my cat is gay! They say dogs hate cats but my dog is butch! Every one on my tv shows likes toys in their toosh! Everyone's gay, gay, gay!

There is no gay agenda btw
[close]

It's clickbait. 

In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Millar stated that while the creators were open to anything, the idea of sisterhood is intrinsic to the show. "We're not gonna discount anything, and, obviously, sometimes characters reveal themselves, which is the fun thing we love about television, that it's an organic journey," he said. "We have a roadmap, and we'd like to have routes along that map that take you in unexpected directions. So, we're open to everything. We wanna explore that friendship in every way." However, the creators want to remain cautious about being influenced by fans and their expectations of the show and its characters. Friendship is currently the key to the vision of the show for Millar and Gough, and they want to stay true to it.

Following the release of Netflix's Addams Family series, many fans saw the potential of a budding romance between Wednesday and Enid, but the creators want to focus on female friendships for now. Gough added, "For us, the show also is really about this female friendship, with Wednesday and Enid really being at the center of that. The fact that they really connected with audiences, it has been really gratifying. So, we’re excited to explore now that Wednesday’s dipped her toe into the friendship pool, what’s that gonna look like?"

And if they did end up together, so what?
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1947 on: December 27, 2022, 04:40:54 PM »
reminds me of the lando thing

"don glover, is your portrayal of lando pansexual?!"

"I mean, anything's possible, it's a big galaxy with a lot of aliens to love, right...?"

ACTOR CONFIRMS LANDO IS PANSEXUAL
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #1948 on: December 27, 2022, 06:19:44 PM »

Besides the lack of story precedence and the fact it turns a friendship into a romantic one when there isn't one?

Good on it being clickbait, though. It was refreshing to have a show without gay stuff in it.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1949 on: December 27, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
It was refreshing to have a show without gay stuff in it.
TV is full of this.

Himu

« Reply #1950 on: December 27, 2022, 11:29:38 PM »
It was refreshing to have a show without gay stuff in it.
TV is full of this.

Watch Sandman and many other shows. It gets to a point where it feels like it's forced on all of us and almost always in a creatively defunct manner from The Get Down to Empire to Stranger Things.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1951 on: December 28, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
I mean, yeah, if you watch shows with it then one of the many shows without it is going to feel refreshing. But you could also watch all the many shows without it instead and then it could feel refreshing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1952 on: December 28, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »

Besides the lack of story precedence and the fact it turns a friendship into a romantic one when there isn't one?

Good on it being clickbait, though. It was refreshing to have a show without gay stuff in it.

:gurl
ど助平

HaughtyFrank

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1955 on: December 28, 2022, 11:35:22 AM »

jorma

Q
« Reply #1956 on: December 28, 2022, 01:25:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1607929430164516864

klaus: hi, we know that public education in jordan egypt and burundi kinda sucks so we've gotten private funding to improve it a lot

all the nutjobs: LITERALLY HITLER!

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1957 on: December 28, 2022, 06:32:18 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1958 on: December 29, 2022, 07:30:46 AM »
Here's a good one. (I'd link to a different source but some censorship is ongoing. Also I may be lazy.)

University art history instructor tells his students multiple times he's going to show some famous historical Islamic art that features Muhammed and allows any student to not view this if they choose. Doesn't matter, someone complains and the Vice President for Inclusive Excellence announces it was "undeniably Islamophobic" to show Islamic art created by Muslims:
Several weeks ago, Hamline administration was made aware of an incident that occurred in an online class. Certain actions taken in that class were undeniably inconsiderate, disrespectful and Islamophobic. While the intent behind those actions may not have been to cause harm, it came at the expense of Hamline's Muslim community members. While much work has been done to address the issue in question since it occurred, the act itself was unacceptable.

The school later announces that Islamic religious beliefs are not to be questioned on campus:
Hamline University is composed of people with diverse views, expectations, and interactions. This community generates different lived experiences that must all be acknowledged and respected. We understand and appreciate that tough, but important questions will arise in our community and we need to address them head-on.

Yet, because we are human, no matter how hard we try to educate on tough issues, we will make mistakes. While some are borne of ignorance, that is never an acceptable excuse. We must always try to do better, be better. We must also take responsibility for our actions, especially when others find them offensive.

It is never our intention to deliberately harm others. Yet, this harm is real and, when we harm, we should listen rather than debate the merits of or extent of that harm. We must always strive to do better, to listen more, and to not knowingly offend.

Our Muslim students, staff, and faculty are hurting. The classroom incident is only one of several instances in which their religious beliefs have been challenged. There are other instances that have occurred on our campus where they have been verbally attacked. This is not okay.

And that Islamic beliefs trump the academic freedom of non-Muslims:
We believe in academic freedom, but it should not and cannot be used to excuse away behavior that harms others.

We have learned, over many years, that knowledge can be shared in a multitude of responsible, thoughtful, and respectful ways. Our response to the classroom event does not disregard or minimize the importance of academic freedom. It does state that respect, decency, and appreciation of religious and other differences should supersede when we know that what we teach will cause harm.

Given the complexity of our various histories, it is imperative that we find ways to teach difficult material. In the spirit of academic freedom, we do not suggest that some material be stricken from our classrooms and not shared with students. This does not generate new knowledge. We do suggest that the indefensible can be taught as well as material that offends – but how we teach it, and how we share images and content, matters.

It is not our intent to place blame; rather, it is our intent to note that in the classroom incident—where an image forbidden for Muslims to look upon was projected on a screen and left for many minutes—respect for the observant Muslim students in that classroom should have superseded academic freedom.

The school goes on to cancel the contract of the instructor for sharing historical Islamic art in an art history class:
The instructor was released from their spring term teaching at Hamline, and its AVPIE went on the record as stating: "It was decided it was best that this faculty member was no longer part of the Hamline community."

The Chair of the schools religion department wrote to the campus paper that this was all very stupid for an endless number of reasons and also outlined the history of Islamic depictions of Muhammed (full thing is at the link):
Another possibility is that the very act of displaying an image of Muhammad is itself Islamophobic. But if this were the case, there are a number of very disturbing implications. First, it would mean that anybody who showed these images in a classroom, a book, or on their wall, would be an Islamophobe. Any scholar who wrote a book about Islamic art and included these images for discussion or analysis would be an Islamophobe. Even Muslims (and, as we will see, many Muslims throughout history have created and enjoyed these images) would be Islamophobic if they did this. Second, it would mean that these images could never be seen by, or shown to, anybody. In effect, it would require an erasure of an entire genre of Islamic art.

Should no student be able to see this art? And what would it mean for a liberal arts institution to deem an entire subject of study prohibited?

Finally, it seems that the interpretation of the administrators means that if an act is prohibited to members of a particular religion, then everyone has to incorporate that prohibition into their own lives.

Ultimately, Islamic images of the Prophet Muhammad are part of the historical record, and an academic art historian who teaches Islamic art must acknowledge and discuss this in some way. Students would be deprived of an illuminating part of Islamic art history if they were not taught about this material, which, according to Dr. Gruber, "is considered by many individuals—including Muslim believers, artists, curators, scholars, collectors, and philanthropists—a global artistic patrimony that is increasingly at risk today." Furthermore, if an art historian were to conclude that images of Muhammad are forbidden, they would be privileging the interpretation of some Muslims over others. It is not up to academics to make judgments about which forms of a religion are correct and which artworks must be purged from the historical record. We must present a religious tradition and its artistic heritage in all of its richness and diversity. While some Muslims believe that figural representations of the Prophet Muhammad are forbidden, others in the past and present do not. It is thus incumbent on a professor to teach the material and convey the full range of artistic expression, as the Hamline faculty member seems to have done.

This incident reminds us that the study of religion is not only fascinating and thought-provoking but is also essential to understanding and skillfully navigating the challenges of living together in a multifaith society. This includes engaging with diversity within faith traditions and not labeling the teaching of an Islamic artistic masterpiece an incident of "hate and discrimination."

After publishing this, there were further complaints and the campus paper deleted it explaining that they don't allow themselves to be a platform for creating "trauma" and that this is not up for debate so apparently they'll delete anything they've published if you just complain:
The Oracle is Hamline's independent, student-run newspaper. One of our core tenets, to minimize harm, exists for us to hold ourselves accountable for the way our news affects the lives of individual students, and the Hamline community and student body as a whole. Those in our community have expressed that a letter we published has caused them harm. We have decided, as an editorial board, to take it down.

In no way are any of us on this staff or on the Editorial Board experts about journalism or trauma. We are, however, dedicated to actively supporting, platforming and listening to the experiences and voices of members of our community.

We are a student publication that is here to provide a space to elevate the voices of students. Our work is of no value if at any time our publication is participating in furthering harm to members of our community.

Our website acts as a space to widely share information and as a digital archive. We believe that what we publish is a matter of public record that reflects and includes the viewpoints of our community that creates space for having conversations in the open that would otherwise be left in private. We hope these conversations can lead to transparency and accountability. However, our publication will not participate in conversations where a person must defend their lived experience and trauma as topics of discussion or debate.

Pulitzer Center describes minimizing harm as having "compassion and sensitivity for those who may be adversely affected by news coverage." We will continue to consider and scrutinize our coverage and angles to elevate the stories of members of our community. It is not a publication's job to challenge or define sensitive experiences or trauma. If and when situations arise where these stories are shared, it is our responsibility to listen to and carry them in the most supportive, respectful, safe and beneficial way for the story's stakeholders and our readers.

We have learned and experienced from our first day at Hamline, a liberal arts institution, the importance of seeing things from a nuanced perspective. However, trauma and lived experiences are not open for debate.

This all gets my maximum rating: :dead :dead :dead :dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1959 on: December 29, 2022, 07:56:42 AM »
Taliban: We believe in academic freedom, but respect for the observant Muslim students in that classroom should have superseded academic freedom.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1608304299179757569
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1960 on: December 29, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »
Their statements about "causing harm" just seem so profoundly empty. Like they're not actually engaging the argument at any point, that these paintings were made by Muslims themselves in praise of Muhammed, or that the students were warned and allowed to leave, instead they repeat again, and again, and again, how much harm was caused and how much they vow to do better. One can't help but get the impression that absolutely none of that is sincere, that all they care about is hitting enough buzzwords about "real harm" and "valid trauma" which will hopefully appease whoever wrote them angry letters. Meanwhile the very real harm of firing someone from their job for teaching important history (I had no idea Muslims themselves depicted Muhammed) is ignored.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1961 on: December 29, 2022, 09:44:45 AM »

btw

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1962 on: December 29, 2022, 03:36:50 PM »
Ok, so since the rest of the populace at that University is now forced to respect and abide by religious rules, then I guess that means it's open season on women and honour killings are back on the menu.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1963 on: December 29, 2022, 04:18:30 PM »

:wut
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1964 on: December 30, 2022, 05:41:15 AM »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1965 on: December 30, 2022, 05:45:01 AM »
Greta is so based.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1966 on: December 30, 2022, 05:55:04 AM »
Ok, so since the rest of the populace at that University is now forced to respect and abide by religious rules, then I guess that means it's open season on women and honour killings are back on the menu.

what are the specials

who is ted danson?

« Reply #1967 on: December 30, 2022, 06:15:43 AM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1968 on: December 30, 2022, 06:27:33 AM »

what are the specials
A bit of religion-sanctioned domestic violence
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1969 on: December 30, 2022, 09:09:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/mask_bastard/status/1608768045232840705

Thank god they interrupted her casting a spell to summon the spirits of the dead.
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #1970 on: December 30, 2022, 09:12:29 AM »
Stop loitering, bitch  :ufup
Margs

who is ted danson?

« Reply #1971 on: December 30, 2022, 09:46:01 AM »
"Oi, do you have a license to stand around in the street?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1972 on: December 30, 2022, 06:03:28 PM »
Sounds like Tate is fucked. It's hilarious, just a few weeks ago I was talking to someone at work about the obscene wealth he shows off. Typically with influencers you just assume it's a benefactor. IE the cars, money, big house etc all belong to somebody else. With Tate it looked a lot more like money laundering. Shout outs to the forensic accountants who are likely tracking those $59.99 Hustler University sub purchases and finding shadow LLCs.

james

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1974 on: December 30, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1975 on: December 30, 2022, 09:52:56 PM »
Says it all really
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1976 on: December 30, 2022, 10:11:33 PM »
Branstetter is another one of those massive disinformation sources that journalists pretend is a legitimate source to get quotes from on topics that the person is not an expert of any kind on. Though unlike some others they do seem to have enough shame (or bosses who care) that some of their more factually egregious tweets get deleted. They once deleted half of a viral tweet thread because every single legal claim in it was wrong.

BIONIC

Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1978 on: December 31, 2022, 11:47:32 AM »
Sounds like Tate is fucked. It's hilarious, just a few weeks ago I was talking to someone at work about the obscene wealth he shows off. Typically with influencers you just assume it's a benefactor. IE the cars, money, big house etc all belong to somebody else. With Tate it looked a lot more like money laundering. Shout outs to the forensic accountants who are likely tracking those $59.99 Hustler University sub purchases and finding shadow LLCs.

he may very well not be, judging from 2 minutes of intense wikipediaing

he was already arrested once before and released for this same thing, and now there's just one person of four who were detained who's been actually charged, and may not even be him

On April 11, 2022, the police raided two properties in Ilfov County, Romania, including Tate's mansion, after the U.S. embassy alerted them that an American woman might be held at the property. Two women were found, and claimed they were being held there against their will, sparking an investigation into human trafficking and rape by DIICOT, the Romanian anti-organized crime agency. After being questioned for five hours, both brothers were released.[58][59] Tate later denied any wrongdoing, calling it a case of swatting.[60]

On December 29, 2022, the police searched five homes based on a search warrant, including Tate's Ilfov mansion. Four suspects were arrested and detained for a period of 24 hours, including both Tate brothers, a former policewoman, and an unnamed fourth Romanian individual.[8] DIICOT alleges that the suspects "recruited and then sexually abused" six women in Ilfov,[8][61] and formed a group in early 2021 "with the purpose of recruiting, housing and exploiting women by forcing them to create pornographic content meant to be seen on specialised websites for a cost". Both Tate brothers are accused of luring women through the "loverboy" method, by misrepresenting their intention to commit to romantic relationships; they were charged with human trafficking and forming an organized crime group.[8][9] One of the four suspects is charged with rape and accused of emotional abuse, but was not named by police.[8][62]

On December 30, 2022, following the 24-hour detention, DIICOT asked a judge that the detention be extended. The court acceded to their request late on December 30, and all four are being remanded in custody for a further 30 days. The Tates have appealed the detention, which will be ruled on in the first week of 2023.[8][62][63]
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1979 on: December 31, 2022, 01:12:32 PM »
With the money he has he can probably stay out of jail and settle any lawsuits from victims.
The idiot bragged about bribing officials however. He might have paid off some local cops or something but it is highly unlikely the Romanian feds and EU/Interpol investigators are playing ball with him.

The stench of suspected of international sex trafficking won't come off so easily leaving Tate with no option but to relocate to a shithole outside of the EU, UK or US if he wants to continue his business of abusing and exploiting women.

Not to mention we don't know who his business associates were. Wouldn't surprise me if it was related to the Romanian mob which has ties to the Russian mob.
Who again have no problem with his business but do with the fact that he's telling everyone about the bribes.
🤴