Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 152376 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #2040 on: January 06, 2023, 05:44:14 PM »
i was wondering why nintex put this in the culture war thread, and now i see the progressives getting salty about this even though it should be a fucking joyous occasion for them that a notorious private fiefdom might get dismantled

but since they hate desantis and love disney they get mad instead. idpol is amazing!  :lol

yeah it might as well be epic vs. apple, holy shit just let the assholes fight and enjoy the circus
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2041 on: January 06, 2023, 10:19:56 PM »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2042 on: January 07, 2023, 11:18:20 AM »
God that James Lindsay dude fucking suuuuuuuuuucks. He's like a shitter Tim Pool, who can at least do a sick kickflip.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 11:24:15 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2043 on: January 07, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »

You're welcome, women  :salute

Himu

« Reply #2044 on: January 07, 2023, 02:59:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/sciam/status/1611515577234767872

I'm black! Blackity blackity black black! Blblblblblblblblack! I'm oppressed! Will someone save us black people from football?
IYKYK

HaughtyFrank

benjipwns

« Reply #2046 on: January 07, 2023, 07:54:30 PM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2048 on: January 08, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »

Where is rainbow land located on the map  ???
🤴

jorma

« Reply #2049 on: January 08, 2023, 03:23:29 PM »
insane redneck yank: this gay pride shit and white genocide is so oppressive, i'd rather live in 70's soviet union!

insane progressve librul yank: capitalism and white supremacy is so oppressive, i'd rather live in 70's soviet union!

insane 70's russian guy in a bread queue: *glances over shoulder* err.. uhm.. 70's soviet union for sure, comrade! (he might be insane, but he's not THAT insane)

result: Stalin :pimp 3:0 Reagan  :fbm

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2050 on: January 08, 2023, 04:00:55 PM »
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2052 on: January 08, 2023, 05:11:08 PM »
Spud

BIONIC

« Reply #2053 on: January 08, 2023, 05:23:43 PM »
Margs

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2054 on: January 08, 2023, 11:10:30 PM »
That girl is so beautiful i'd give her all my money for nothing at all

BIONIC

« Reply #2055 on: January 08, 2023, 11:19:05 PM »
Simphuman :tocry
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #2056 on: January 08, 2023, 11:22:22 PM »
Imagine being so pathetically weak and insecure of yourself that you publicly say you'd prefer to live in a failed totalitarian state fifty years ago that would have felt like a hundred years backwards because some dudes marched with some shitty flags (not even the new proper pride flag) somewhere in Texas one time. And then imagine picking an image of that failed state from 20 years later because you had no idea how far behind it was and assumed the image was similar to ones from the country you're upset about.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2057 on: January 09, 2023, 01:05:18 PM »
🤴

james

« Reply #2058 on: January 09, 2023, 01:27:39 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2059 on: January 09, 2023, 02:13:28 PM »
Holy shit, I finally have the perfect argument when I'm talking to those anti-nuclear 'renewables' zealots. :whew
🤴

Himu

« Reply #2060 on: January 09, 2023, 02:47:47 PM »
Amiin, Matt.

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2061 on: January 09, 2023, 06:58:01 PM »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2062 on: January 09, 2023, 07:21:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/KinelRyan/status/1612535931516362777

It's all so dumb, like there's no way of winning. The producers aren't even entirely wrong considering when Wednesday had two bully characters who were black people called the show racist (nevermind that these characters don't turn out to be villains and have a positive arc through the course of the show).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:26:48 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Polident Hive

« Reply #2063 on: January 09, 2023, 07:51:42 PM »
I’ve no doubt there’s hefty clickbait at play and whatever nuance will be ignored, by me, right now. Because there are a few recent examples I can call to. If there’s a caveat, about half those examples are movies with non-white leads.

benjipwns

« Reply #2064 on: January 09, 2023, 08:04:46 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2065 on: January 09, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2066 on: January 09, 2023, 10:24:41 PM »
I'm not too scared to say that I'm anti-covid. That virus is a real jerk

benjipwns

« Reply #2067 on: January 10, 2023, 02:30:59 AM »
Here's a good one. (I'd link to a different source but some censorship is ongoing. Also I may be lazy.)

University art history instructor tells his students multiple times he's going to show some famous historical Islamic art that features Muhammed and allows any student to not view this if they choose. Doesn't matter, someone complains and the Vice President for Inclusive Excellence announces it was "undeniably Islamophobic" to show Islamic art created by Muslims:
NYT covered this, it was a woman professor and there's info on the accuser who claims they were "blindslided" by the image:
Erika López Prater, an adjunct professor at Hamline University, said she knew many Muslims have deeply held religious beliefs that prohibit depictions of the Prophet Muhammad. So last semester for a global art history class, she took many precautions before showing a 14th-century painting of Islam’s founder.

In the syllabus, she warned that images of holy figures, including the Prophet Muhammad and the Buddha, would be shown in the course. She asked students to contact her with any concerns, and she said no one did.

In class, she prepped students, telling them that in a few minutes, the painting would be displayed, in case anyone wanted to leave.
After Dr. López Prater showed the image, a senior in the class complained to the administration. Other Muslim students, not in the course, supported the student, saying the class was an attack on their religion. They demanded that officials take action.

Officials told Dr. López Prater that her services next semester were no longer needed. In emails to students and faculty, they said that the incident was clearly Islamophobic. Hamline’s president, Fayneese S. Miller, co-signed an email that said respect for the Muslim students “should have superseded academic freedom.” At a town hall, an invited Muslim speaker compared showing the images to teaching that Hitler was good.
In a December interview with the school newspaper, the student who complained to the administration, Aram Wedatalla, described being blindsided by the image.

“I’m like, ‘This can’t be real,’” said Ms. Wedatalla, who in a public forum described herself as Sudanese. “As a Muslim and a Black person, I don’t feel like I belong, and I don’t think I’ll ever belong in a community where they don’t value me as a member, and they don’t show the same respect that I show them.”
Omid Safi, a professor of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at Duke University, said he regularly shows images of the Prophet Muhammad in class and without Dr. López Prater’s opt-out mechanisms. He explains to his students that these images were works of devotion created by pious artists at the behest of devout rulers.

“That’s the part I want my students to grapple with,” Dr. Safi said. “How does something that comes from the very middle of the tradition end up being received later on as something marginal or forbidden?”
Dr. López Prater, a self-described art nerd, said she knew about the potential for conflict on Oct. 6, when she began her online lecture with 30 or so students.

She said she spent a few minutes explaining why she was showing the image, how different religions have depicted the divine and how standards change over time.

“I do not want to present the art of Islam as something that is monolithic,” she said in an interview, adding that she had been shown the image as a graduate student. She also showed a second image, from the 16th century, which depicted Muhammad wearing a veil.

Dr. López Prater said that no one in class raised concerns, and there was no disrespectful commentary.

After the class ended, Ms. Wedatalla, a business major and president of the university’s Muslim Student Association, stuck around to voice her discomfort.
As Dr. López Prater predicted, Ms. Wedatalla reached out to administrators. Dr. López Prater, with Ms. Baker’s help, wrote an apology, explaining that sometimes “diversity involves bringing contradicting, uncomfortable and coexisting truths into conversation with each other.”

Ms. Wedatalla declined an interview request, and did not explain why she had not raised concerns before the image was shown. But in an email statement, she said images of Prophet Muhammad should never be displayed, and that Dr. López Prater gave a trigger warning precisely because she knew such images were offensive to many Muslims. The lecture was so disturbing, she said, that she could no longer see herself in that course.

Four days after the class, Dr. López Prater was summoned to a video meeting with the dean of the college of liberal arts, Marcela Kostihova.

Dr. Kostihova compared showing the image to using a racial epithet for Black people, according to Dr. López Prater.
At the Dec. 8 forum, which was attended by several dozen students, faculty and administrators, Ms. Wedatalla described, often through tears, how she felt seeing the image.

“Who do I call at 8 a.m.,” she asked, when “you see someone disrespecting and offending your religion?”

Other Muslim students on the panel, all Black women, also spoke tearfully about struggling to fit in at Hamline. Students of color in recent years had protested what they called racist incidents; the university, they said, paid lip service to diversity and did not support students with institutional resources.

The main speaker was Jaylani Hussein, the executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim civil rights group.

The instructor’s actions, he said, hurt Muslim students and students of color and had “absolutely no benefit.”

“If this institution wants to value those students,” he added, “it cannot have incidents like this happen. If somebody wants to teach some controversial stuff about Islam, go teach it at the local library.”

Mark Berkson, a religion professor at Hamline, raised his hand.

“When you say ‘trust Muslims on Islamophobia,’” Dr. Berkson asked, “what does one do when the Islamic community itself is divided on an issue? Because there are many Muslim scholars and experts and art historians who do not believe that this was Islamophobic.”

Mr. Hussein responded that there were marginal and extremist voices on any issue. “You can teach a whole class about why Hitler was good,” Mr. Hussein said.

During the exchange, Ms. Baker, the department head, and Dr. Everett, the administrator, separately walked up to the religion professor, put their hands on his shoulders and said this was not the time to raise these concerns
, Dr. Berkson said in an interview.

But Dr. Berkson, who said he strongly supported campus diversity, said that he felt compelled to speak up.

“We were being asked to accept, without questioning, that what our colleague did — teaching an Islamic art masterpiece in a class on art history after having given multiple warnings — was somehow equivalent to mosque vandalism and violence against Muslims and hate speech,” Dr. Berkson said. “That is what I could not stand.”
Dr. Safi, the Duke professor, said Hamline had effectively taken sides in a debate among Muslims. Students “don’t have to give up their values,” he added. “But some part of the educational process does call for stepping beyond each one of our vantage points enough to know that none of us have the monopoly on truth.”

From the school paper article:
The professor of the class emailed Wedatalla that Saturday, Oct. 8.

“I would like to apologize that the image I showed in class on [Oct. 6] made you uncomfortable and caused you emotional agitation. It is never my intention to upset or disrespect students in my classroom,” the professor wrote in the email to Wedatalla, who shared it with the Oracle.

The professor shared the depictions over a Powerpoint through a Google Meet online class. The Oracle has acquired this recording through a student in the course who wishes to stay anonymous.

In the video of the class, the professor gives a content warning and describes the nature of the depictions to be shown and reflects on their controversial nature for more than two minutes before advancing to the slides in question.
“I am showing you this image for a reason. And that is that there is this common thinking that Islam completely forbids, outright, any figurative depictions or any depictions of holy personages. While many Islamic cultures do strongly frown on this practice, I would like to remind you there is no one, monothetic Islamic culture,” the professor said before changing to the slide that included these depictions.

In the Oct. 8 email to Wedatalla, the professor stated that they “[let] the class know ahead of time” what would be shown and to give students time to turn off their video.

“I did not try to surprise students with this image, and I did my best to provide students with an ‘out,’” the professor wrote in the email.

“I also described every subsequent slide I showed with language to indicate when I was no longer showing an image of the Prophet Muhammad. I am sorry that despite my attempt to prevent a negative reaction, you still viewed and were troubled by this image.”

MSA students and their advisor Nur Mood, Assistant Director of Social Justice Programs and Strategic Relations, met with members of the administration on Oct. 10 to discuss the incident and how to move forward.

“This [incident is] much deeper and it’s something that in a million years, I never expected that it would happen here at Hamline. I hope this is the last time I see something similar to this,” Mood said in a Dec. 2 interview with the Oracle. “There’s a lot of apologies all happening, but the harm’s done. I think we should have started more focused about the healing process.”
Attendees also discussed the delayed email from the Dean of Students. Kersten clarified that the official determination of the recent incident was that it was an act of intolerance, it would not be classified as a hate crime, which the university is required to send emails about.

In an interview with the Oracle on Nov. 11, Everett stated that the email delay was impacted by a need to establish follow-up for faculty and steps moving forward, areas the administration had to fill in gaps as they collected input from the “collective MSA.”

“All of those things needed to take place and so that was more of a contributing factor to the timing of when the email went out, versus whether it was deemed a hate crime or not,” Everett said. ​“In lieu of this incident, it was decided it was best that this faculty member was no longer part of the Hamline community.”

:dead :dead :dead :dead

james

« Reply #2068 on: January 10, 2023, 02:41:05 AM »
Islam is the snowflakiest of religions.

Cry harder Ms. Wedatalla

Himu

« Reply #2069 on: January 10, 2023, 04:07:14 AM »
As a Muslim I don't think what she did was m Islamlhobic and don't think she should have been fired.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2070 on: January 10, 2023, 04:13:02 AM »
Hamline’s president, Fayneese S. Miller, co-signed an email that said respect for the Muslim students “should have superseded academic freedom.”

Ok, so if a law professor states that it is against the law to cut the hands from thieves and behead women for adultery, then that professor should be fired because it disrespects Islamic practices and therefore Muslim students?
Spud

Himu

« Reply #2071 on: January 10, 2023, 04:25:57 AM »
Most Muslim countries don't have those laws. Even Indonesia, within the the territory of Aceh, which has its own shariah, doesn't cut off hands or cut off adulterers heads.

Your statement is the equivalent of asking why Christian nations have such a huge problem with school shootings, when really it's just USA that has this problem. By being too general and painting too broad a brush you not only look ignorant, you also look like an idiot and a dick. In America they will have someone ride the lightning despite being innocent for no reason except his race. Hell, we can place the blame on the destruction of entire countries like Afghanistan and Iraq on USA, yet Americans seem to live with it. It's almost as if humans are inherently flawed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:31:25 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2072 on: January 10, 2023, 04:55:22 AM »
Most Muslim countries don't have those laws. Even Indonesia, within the the territory of Aceh, which has its own shariah, doesn't cut off hands or cut off adulterers heads.

Your statement is the equivalent of asking why Christian nations have such a huge problem with school shootings, when really it's just USA that has this problem. By being too general and painting too broad a brush you not only look ignorant, you also look like an idiot and a dick. In America they will have someone ride the lightning despite being innocent for no reason except his race. Hell, we can place the blame on the destruction of entire countries like Afghanistan and Iraq on USA, yet Americans seem to live with it. It's almost as if humans are inherently flawed.
Potato's hypothetical is in line with Hamline's position, however, that a claim by any Muslim mandates the school's decisions. Muslims disagreeing on what is mandated by Islam was specifically excluded as a defense.

Himu

« Reply #2073 on: January 10, 2023, 05:18:02 AM »
That's fine, but I just see it as a human wide compulsion to be a pathetic victim, whether it's some Jewish people claiming Antisemitism because Israel's actions and genocide, a Christian claiming to be oppressed in America, a white person claiming to be genocidal forces out to kill all white people, or some black person assuming everything they encounter is racist. Humans like to be victimize prima donnas and institutions like to back them to limit "trouble". But as is, the schools decision is utterly daft and the Muslim complainer is kind of pathetic. Muslims aren't immune, unfortunately.

I really hope the person that complained doesn't have a heart attack when someone eats pork in front of her.

The complainer is pretty pathetic. The painting is pretty dope. The Prophet is just chilling.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:25:40 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

NekoFever

« Reply #2074 on: January 10, 2023, 05:32:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/KinelRyan/status/1612535931516362777

It's all so dumb, like there's no way of winning. The producers aren't even entirely wrong considering when Wednesday had two bully characters who were black people called the show racist (nevermind that these characters don't turn out to be villains and have a positive arc through the course of the show).

Reaganite 80s action movies were progressive all along!  :rejoice

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2075 on: January 10, 2023, 06:17:01 AM »

You're missing the point as usual in your eagerness to criticise and to try to prove people wrong. My hypothetical is calling into question the behaviour of the University not the religion (although, any religion that prescribes corporal punishment is absurd).
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2076 on: January 10, 2023, 06:20:19 AM »
In a December interview with the school newspaper, the student who complained to the administration, Aram Wedatalla, described being blindsided by the image.

The student sounds like an asshole who just wanted to start some shit

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2077 on: January 10, 2023, 07:16:33 AM »
Islam is the snowflakiest of religions.

Cry harder Ms. Wedatalla

what dave chapelle refers to as a fragile spirit
Uncle

james

« Reply #2079 on: January 10, 2023, 10:34:46 AM »
Normal, well adjusted religions:
"What is the meaning of life? What happens after death? How does one have a fulfilling time on earth?

Islam:
"YOU DREW WHAT??? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  *amazon.com: boxcutters*"

jorma

« Reply #2080 on: January 10, 2023, 11:12:51 AM »
"What is the meaning of life? What happens after death? How does one have a fulfilling time on earth?

Islam:

is one of those normal well adjusted religions in the tweets linked directly above your post?  :lol

james

« Reply #2081 on: January 10, 2023, 11:34:42 AM »

Islam:

is one of those normal well adjusted religions in the tweets linked directly above your post?  :lol

???

Allah says in the Quran, “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from Looking at Forbidden things), And protect their private parts (from illegal sexual Acts e.g). That is pure for them. Verily Allah is All aware what they do” [24:30].

https://www.quranexplorer.com/blog/Education-In-The-Light-Of-Sunnah-And-Qura%27an/What_islam_says_about_Pornography

Why do you think they make their women hide all their skin? Even ankles and noses are considered porn by them

Lets check in on Brazil, one of the most religious christian countries on earth:

:nsfw

jorma

« Reply #2082 on: January 10, 2023, 11:59:58 AM »
why are you only posting from the quran when you have equally deranged shit in both the torah and the bible?
you are a pretty shit progressive my dude  :lol

facts are facts and the only well adjusted religion on the planet is asatro, and their answer to all of your philosofical questions above involve a lot of violence  :hulk

Tasty

« Reply #2083 on: January 10, 2023, 12:18:11 PM »
i was wondering why nintex put this in the culture war thread, and now i see the progressives getting salty about this even though it should be a fucking joyous occasion for them that a notorious private fiefdom might get dismantled

but since they hate desantis and love disney they get mad instead. idpol is amazing!  :lol

Rubio and DeDantis have the right attitude on Disney.

james

« Reply #2084 on: January 10, 2023, 12:42:04 PM »
why are you only posting from the quran when you have equally deranged shit in both the torah and the bible?

facts are facts and the only well adjusted religion on the planet is asatro, and their answer to all of your philosofical questions above involve a lot of violence  :hulk

The bible literally starts with God dropping a NAKED man into a garden, saying "my man needs some pussy" and dropping in a NAKED woman so they can have fun sex in their fun sex garden.

Its extremely sex positive.

Note: Bible is pretty boring so thats as far as I got

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2085 on: January 10, 2023, 01:27:34 PM »

“I’m like, ‘This can’t be real,’” said Ms. Wedatalla, who in a public forum described herself as Sudanese. “As a Muslim and a Black person, I don’t feel like I belong, and I don’t think I’ll ever belong in a community where they don’t value me as a member, and they don’t show the same respect that I show them.”

multiple warnings prior to showing it, full context provided, and the opportunity to not view it, and instead of raising concerns directly or havibng a conversation about why those precautions were not sufficient they went straight to their superiors to get them fired.

Funny sense of 'respect'.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2086 on: January 10, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »

Islam:

???

Allah says in the Quran, “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from Looking at Forbidden things), And protect their private parts (from illegal sexual Acts e.g). That is pure for them. Verily Allah is All aware what they do” [24:30].

https://www.quranexplorer.com/blog/Education-In-The-Light-Of-Sunnah-And-Qura%27an/What_islam_says_about_Pornography

Why do you think they make their women hide all their skin? Even ankles and noses are considered porn by them

(Image removed from quote.)

Lets check in on Brazil, one of the most religious christian countries on earth:

:nsfw
You know Islam is basicallly doing those "Cute vs. Slut" or "LinkedIn vs. OnlyFans" things right?

They're all covered up in public, but not in their private harems where they live out their breeder fantasies.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #2087 on: January 10, 2023, 02:38:32 PM »
So last semester for a global art history class, she took many precautions before showing a 14th-century painting of Islam’s founder.

In the syllabus, she warned that images of holy figures, including the Prophet Muhammad and the Buddha, would be shown in the course. She asked students to contact her with any concerns, and she said no one did.

In class, she prepped students, telling them that in a few minutes, the painting would be displayed, in case anyone wanted to leave.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2088 on: January 10, 2023, 03:51:44 PM »

The bible literally starts with God dropping a NAKED man into a garden, saying "my man needs some pussy" and dropping in a NAKED woman so they can have fun sex in their fun sex garden.

you weren't reading the bible, you were playing a sims mod
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #2089 on: January 10, 2023, 06:33:13 PM »

multiple warnings prior to showing it, full context provided, and the opportunity to not view it, and instead of raising concerns directly or havibng a conversation about why those precautions were not sufficient they went straight to their superiors to get them fired.

Funny sense of 'respect'.
According to the student and the NYT article, the student did approach (online) the professor after the class to complain which led the professor to ask their superior about it and the superior confirmed the professor did nothing wrong, the professor still chose to apologize to the student and the student still chose to elevate the matter because according to the student they did not feel the professor was listening to their concerns.

BIONIC

« Reply #2090 on: January 10, 2023, 07:36:48 PM »
Professor Fired (Permanent): Dismissing concerns of Islamophobia :notlikethis
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #2091 on: January 10, 2023, 10:08:20 PM »

Really? The flood was right after and pretty epic.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2092 on: January 10, 2023, 10:50:04 PM »

you weren't reading the bible, you were playing halo
Uncle

james

« Reply #2093 on: January 11, 2023, 12:12:10 AM »

Is that where bikinis come from?

paprikastaude

« Reply #2094 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:24 AM »
The only thing an actual normal person needs to know about christianity is that it is a safe haven for childfuckers.

BIONIC

« Reply #2095 on: January 11, 2023, 09:47:44 AM »
The Shonda cord is an offshoot of Christianity?  :titus
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #2096 on: January 11, 2023, 10:51:06 AM »

you weren't reading the bible, you were playing halo

Is that why my family barely went to church and we're into Nintendo, while my cousins' fam in Virginia were super into Xbox and Jesus?

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2098 on: January 11, 2023, 03:32:53 PM »
Just wait until Netflix recasts Muhammad as a queer Korean.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2099 on: January 11, 2023, 06:08:57 PM »
Academics getting restless over this Hamlin's situation

https://theconversation.com/islamic-paintings-of-the-prophet-muhammad-are-an-important-piece-of-history-heres-why-art-historians-teach-them-197277

As they should be. It's really insane that a university took such an anti-intellectual stance.