Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 149644 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #2100 on: January 11, 2023, 06:21:31 PM »
Academics getting restless over this Hamlin's situation

https://theconversation.com/islamic-paintings-of-the-prophet-muhammad-are-an-important-piece-of-history-heres-why-art-historians-teach-them-197277

As they should be. It's really insane that a university took such an anti-intellectual stance.
This case would be perfect for a Better Call Saul episode.

Jimmy represents the crazy person, Howard Hamlin the university.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2102 on: January 12, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2105 on: January 12, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
There's distinguished mentally-challenged, and then there's American conservative distinguished mentally-challenged
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2106 on: January 12, 2023, 04:00:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1613300066013298689

:pika

And the interviewer has been exposed to be a serial sexual abuser and went into a psych ward.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2107 on: January 12, 2023, 04:01:28 PM »
holy shit it's the man from your avatar
Uncle

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #2108 on: January 12, 2023, 04:04:23 PM »
holy shit it's the man from your avatar

Don’t you dare besmirch The Great Lou Dobbs!

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2109 on: January 12, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »
Andrew Callaghan being a creep really sucks, I gotta say.
Margs

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Boredfrom

« Reply #2111 on: January 12, 2023, 07:00:46 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #2112 on: January 12, 2023, 07:25:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1613564127385128960
Aram Wedatalla, who is the head of Hamline’s Muslim Student Association, said she was blindsided by an image of the Prophet Muhammad presented in her World Art class at Hamline last fall.

“I’m 23 years old. I have never once seen an image of the Prophet,” said Wedatalla fighting back tears during a press conference held Wednesday at the Minneapolis headquarters of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN).

CAIR-MN executive director Jaylani Hussein said most Muslims around the world oppose the public display of images of the Prophet Muhammad. To show the image of the Prophet, said Hussein, is deeply offensive. And he called that violation of the prohibition an act of Islamophobia.  And he said it doesn’t matter that the instructor warned students before she showed the image.

“In reality a trigger warning is an indication that you are going to do harm,” he said.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2113 on: January 12, 2023, 07:27:29 PM »
Yeah right, like she hasn't seen Muhammed TikTok  ::)
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2114 on: January 12, 2023, 07:40:57 PM »
in fact a trigger warning shows premeditation, the proper way is to show the image and say "oops, wrong slide, well I guess since it's already up we'll talk about it"
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #2115 on: January 12, 2023, 07:43:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1613564127385128960
Aram Wedatalla, who is the head of Hamline’s Muslim Student Association, said she was blindsided by an image of the Prophet Muhammad presented in her World Art class at Hamline last fall.

“I’m 23 years old. I have never once seen an image of the Prophet,” said Wedatalla fighting back tears during a press conference held Wednesday at the Minneapolis headquarters of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN).

CAIR-MN executive director Jaylani Hussein said most Muslims around the world oppose the public display of images of the Prophet Muhammad. To show the image of the Prophet, said Hussein, is deeply offensive. And he called that violation of the prohibition an act of Islamophobia. And he said it doesn’t matter that the instructor warned students before she showed the image.

“In reality a trigger warning is an indication that you are going to do harm,” he said.
(Image removed from quote.)

I like when idiots are the cause of the things they are fighting against...

What are your opinions of Muslim women that don't want to use the hijab, my dear?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2116 on: January 12, 2023, 08:04:44 PM »
The word "harm" lost all meaning.

BIONIC

« Reply #2117 on: January 12, 2023, 08:25:43 PM »
Oh no, I’ve seen a tasteful artistic depiction of a dude  :walkaway
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2118 on: January 12, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/fired-professor-hamline-not-islamophobic-2241214

Muslim Group Urges the Reinstatement of Fired U.S. Professor, Saying the Prophet Muhammad Painting She Showed to Students Was Not Islamophobic

The Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) has published a statement urging the reinstatement of an art history professor who was fired from Hamline University in Minnesota after showing her class Medieval paintings depicting the Prophet Muhammad. The high-profile and heated dispute over her dismissal has pitted academic freedom against the risk of causing offense to Muslim students.

Now MPAC, a national American Muslim advocacy and public policy organization, has also expressed “great concern” in a statement of support for Prater that calls for the university to reverse its decision and “to take compensatory action to ameliorate the situation.”

“The painting was not Islamophobic,” according to the statement. “In fact, it was commissioned by a fourteenth-century Muslim king in order to honor the Prophet, depicting the first Quranic revelation from the angel Gabriel.

“As a Muslim organization, we recognize the validity and ubiquity of an Islamic viewpoint that discourages or forbids any depictions of the Prophet, especially if done in a distasteful or disrespectful manner,” the council said. “However, we also recognize the historical reality that other viewpoints have existed and that there have been some Muslims, including and especially Shīʿī Muslims,  who have felt no qualms in pictorially representing the Prophet (although often veiling his face out of respect).”

The council’s statement continues: “Even if it is the case that many Muslims feel uncomfortable with such depictions, Dr. Prater was trying to emphasize a key principle of religious literacy: religions are not monolithic in nature, but rather, internally diverse,” the council explained. “This principle should be appreciated in order to combat Islamophobia, which is often premised on flattening out Islam and viewing the Islamic tradition in an essentialist and reductionist manner.”

In fact, the statement stated, “the professor should be thanked for her role in educating students, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, and for doing so in a critically empathetic manner.”

I kind of love how the language the university exposes them so hard

Weeks after the lecture, Aram Wedatalla, who is president of the university’s Muslim Students Association, reported the professor to the university administrators, after which the dean of students dispatched a university-wide email addressing the “undeniably[…] Islamophobic” incident.

It's so obvious that they didn't have any clue what they were talking about.

Polident Hive

« Reply #2119 on: January 12, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »
Amazing to see some typically hardline Islam figures come out saying this is embarrassing and not to associate them with it.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2120 on: January 12, 2023, 10:13:51 PM »
Oh no, I’ve seen a tasteful artistic depiction of a dude  :walkaway

gay :ufup
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2121 on: January 12, 2023, 11:56:31 PM »
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/fired-professor-hamline-not-islamophobic-2241214

Muslim Group Urges the Reinstatement of Fired U.S. Professor, Saying the Prophet Muhammad Painting She Showed to Students Was Not Islamophobic

The Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) has published a statement urging the reinstatement of an art history professor who was fired from Hamline University in Minnesota after showing her class Medieval paintings depicting the Prophet Muhammad. The high-profile and heated dispute over her dismissal has pitted academic freedom against the risk of causing offense to Muslim students.

Now MPAC, a national American Muslim advocacy and public policy organization, has also expressed “great concern” in a statement of support for Prater that calls for the university to reverse its decision and “to take compensatory action to ameliorate the situation.”

“The painting was not Islamophobic,” according to the statement. “In fact, it was commissioned by a fourteenth-century Muslim king in order to honor the Prophet, depicting the first Quranic revelation from the angel Gabriel.

“As a Muslim organization, we recognize the validity and ubiquity of an Islamic viewpoint that discourages or forbids any depictions of the Prophet, especially if done in a distasteful or disrespectful manner,” the council said. “However, we also recognize the historical reality that other viewpoints have existed and that there have been some Muslims, including and especially Shīʿī Muslims,  who have felt no qualms in pictorially representing the Prophet (although often veiling his face out of respect).”

The council’s statement continues: “Even if it is the case that many Muslims feel uncomfortable with such depictions, Dr. Prater was trying to emphasize a key principle of religious literacy: religions are not monolithic in nature, but rather, internally diverse,” the council explained. “This principle should be appreciated in order to combat Islamophobia, which is often premised on flattening out Islam and viewing the Islamic tradition in an essentialist and reductionist manner.”

In fact, the statement stated, “the professor should be thanked for her role in educating students, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, and for doing so in a critically empathetic manner.”

I kind of love how the language the university exposes them so hard

Weeks after the lecture, Aram Wedatalla, who is president of the university’s Muslim Students Association, reported the professor to the university administrators, after which the dean of students dispatched a university-wide email addressing the “undeniably[…] Islamophobic” incident.

It's so obvious that they didn't have any clue what they were talking about.

The The Muslim Public Affairs Council is being undeniably islamophobic
Spud

BisMarckie

« Reply #2122 on: January 13, 2023, 12:45:22 AM »
in fact a trigger warning shows premeditation, the proper way is to show the image and say "oops, wrong slide, well I guess since it's already up we'll talk about it"

You also wait  for the middle of the semester with the heavy hitters when almost nobody bothers to show up. Amateur mistake :ufup

benjipwns

« Reply #2123 on: January 13, 2023, 01:15:40 AM »

You also wait  for the middle of the semester with the heavy hitters when almost nobody bothers to show up. Amateur mistake :ufup
This was in October so maybe it was just the start testing to see who was still paying attention and the whole thing about the Muhammed painting has covered up just what sick depraved shit the professor was going to show next.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2124 on: January 13, 2023, 04:00:42 AM »
Sounds fun, where do I sign up?
Spud

jorma

« Reply #2125 on: January 13, 2023, 05:17:04 AM »

This was in October so maybe it was just the start testing to see who was still paying attention and the whole thing about the Muhammed painting has covered up just what sick depraved shit the professor was going to show next.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2126 on: January 13, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
A new front has been opened the usual suspects think Mass Effect is too conservative.

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1613928091516026880
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2127 on: January 13, 2023, 02:01:20 PM »
I kind of fear what Bioware might create if their old games are considered conservative fantasies

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

BIONIC

« Reply #2131 on: January 13, 2023, 09:08:07 PM »
Sounds more like the royalan method
Margs

Himu

« Reply #2132 on: January 14, 2023, 05:12:53 AM »
IYKYK

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #2134 on: January 15, 2023, 05:35:32 AM »

This was fantastic and a real conversation.

I want to say that as a traditional man that I feel that men have a predisposition to want to be useful. I think it is how God made us.

I will say that, and the discord and the people of this forum knows this first hand, that it took me a long time to be a healthy man and to learn the damaging ways that hurt women.

When you marry a woman, often the man works to help elevate her, make life easier, and works harder for her and his family. He makes choices to make things better, he sacrifices to achieve this.

I think many people are under valuing the notion that many roles are pre-baked into our software. Men are more violent than women but what comes with that is the need to control that violence and learn the responsibility to wield it.

Men are predisposed to want to want to provide. Women seem to be predisposed to want to care for their family and children. I believe things get wonky and oppressive when the roles become super strict, like a man that doesn't want his wife to work when she clearly wants to or when he thinks it's not a man's place to cook or clean or help out or help rear his own damn children.

It is my opinion that these roles aren't bad but natural order, as the majority of straight  women still seek men with traditional values (of protecting women, of providing for women) even when they're feminists.

That said, it's good to be flexible.

I reject the notion that men can't be soft or emotional. If that's the case how can a man be a good father? When I felt that men couldn't be emotional it came from a place of nothing but insecurity. How can he know how to love his children and actually show it besides providing? So I think there's a unique mix a man has to inhibit.

I think in order for a man to transcend and be healthy and the way God made him he needs to be willing to self sacrifice, willing to acquiesce and know how to pick his battles, willing to be tough in the face of adversity, but also willing to be good in the face of such a tough world, and willing to be soft and doting and protective to those that need it. How can a man be good if he lets the world beat him down and change his character?

Finally, a man doesn't talk. He does. This sounds contradictory to men needing to know when to be soft but it's really not. When a woman relies on a man for protection talking is just beating your chest. She needs to see actual action and grit to believe in her man. This ties into the self sacrifice and the leadership inherent to manhood.

When Benji was arguing with me about conscription I just feel that self sacrifice is a part of being a man, whether on the battlefield or putting food on the table.

I think our masculinity these days is in search of becoming more of a balanced man. A good man with boundaries so to speak rather than the Fred Flintstone domineering energy of our forefathers or the overt weakness of a man that lets the world trample over him.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:45:19 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2135 on: January 15, 2023, 06:26:48 AM »
https://discord.com/channels/605869167584870406/664703180852166669/1064142431467098124

:dead :dead :dead

I mostly get this from people on the left but it's still hilarious.
IYKYK

BIONIC

« Reply #2136 on: January 15, 2023, 08:04:13 AM »
it took me a long time to be a healthy man

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:14:54 AM by BIONIC »
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2137 on: January 15, 2023, 08:23:13 AM »
 :kermit
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2138 on: January 15, 2023, 03:04:32 PM »
To me, being a man is about taking responsibility. That can take many forms and mean many things and the worst behaviours of men seem to occur when that sense of responsibility crosses the line into being overbearing or domineering.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2139 on: January 15, 2023, 03:19:22 PM »
that implies that taking responsibility isn't or shouldn't be the top priority for women
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2140 on: January 15, 2023, 03:26:54 PM »
that implies that taking responsibility isn't or shouldn't be the top priority for women

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But seriously, nothing I said precludes a woman from responsibility, just that it is a core value of what I consider "being a man".
[close]
Spud

Himu

« Reply #2141 on: January 15, 2023, 05:18:48 PM »

It is and should be but with men it can be higher stakes. Since the man is often the leader, responsibility is everything, including over the family because he offers his protection.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2142 on: January 15, 2023, 05:23:12 PM »
When Benji was arguing with me about conscription I just feel that self sacrifice is a part of being a man, whether on the battlefield or putting food on the table.
But conscription isn't self-sacrifice. And in any case, blind self-sacrifice is stupid. Why should society, or anyone, respect someone who stupidly risks just because they risked something?

Do you know why a casino will put a board with the last five spins or whatever next to the roulette wheel?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2143 on: January 15, 2023, 05:28:15 PM »

It is and should be but with men it can be higher stakes. Since the man is often the leader, responsibility is everything, including over the family because he offers his protection.
I don't think it's higher stakes for men, just usually applied to different priorities. Personal responsibility is one of the most important things humans can take on and is what separates good men from others.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #2144 on: January 15, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »

I don't think it's higher stakes for men, just usually applied to different priorities. Personal responsibility is one of the most important things humans can take on and is what separates good men from others.

I agree. It's also true of good women. It's why I think a lot of the red pill movement is completely daft, despite having some element of truth. They complain about hoes and women with body count, but who is having sex with as many women as possible outside of marriage? You can't have one without the other.

I agree that responsibility is something both need but it's a different kind of responsibility. But I think for men it is higher stakes because of what he's personally responsible over and that's his household's safety and putting food on the table. So from my perspective that's higher stake. Throw in needing to know how to protect yourself in case shit hits the fan and have even more responsibility.

But conscription isn't self-sacrifice. And in any case, blind self-sacrifice is stupid. Why should society, or anyone, respect someone who stupidly risks just because they risked something?

Do you know why a casino will put a board with the last five spins or whatever next to the roulette wheel?

I don't know. All I know is that when I see a Veteran I tell them,"thank you for your service" because I think it's the right thing to do, and help out at homeless places when I can (which unfortunately a lot of vets tend to be).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:38:51 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2145 on: January 15, 2023, 05:37:13 PM »
But I think for men it is higher stakes because of what he's personally responsible over and that's his household's safety and putting food on the table. So from my perspective that's higher stake. Throw in needing to know how to protect yourself in case shit hits the fan and have even more responsibility.
You are imposing responsibilities on people without their consent. It is not my place to deny someone "manhood" simply because I am ignorant of their circumstances.

I don't know. All I know is that when I see a Veteran I tell them,"thank you for your service" because I think it's the right thing to do, and help out at homeless places when I can (which unfortunately a lot of vets tend to be).
But what does this have anything to do with self-sacrifice?

Himu

« Reply #2146 on: January 15, 2023, 05:42:16 PM »
But I think for men it is higher stakes because of what he's personally responsible over and that's his household's safety and putting food on the table. So from my perspective that's higher stake. Throw in needing to know how to protect yourself in case shit hits the fan and have even more responsibility.
You are imposing responsibilities on people without their consent.

Not really. I said very clearly,"my perspective." In my perspective, a man provides. A man protects. I can't change the world but I can certainly live it by my ideals. As a religious man, I deny subjective morality and think a big reason western society is in this pickle is because we have replaced religion with idolatry with the self and I, me and my, the individual has become a worship symbol rather than using that I to contribute to the whole.

In Islam it is a man's duty to provide. Literal religious duty. It doesn't get more clearer than that.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2147 on: January 15, 2023, 05:54:20 PM »
Not really. I said very clearly,"my perspective." In my perspective, a man provides. A man protects. I can't change the world but I can certainly live it by my ideals. As a religious man, I deny subjective morality and think a big reason western society is in this pickle is because we have replaced religion with idolatry with the self and I, me and my, the individual has become a worship symbol rather than using that I to contribute to the whole.
Here you state it's just "your perspective" and then you go on to "deny" subjective morality.

Himu

« Reply #2148 on: January 15, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »
Here you state it's just "your perspective" and then you go on to "deny" subjective morality.

I'm giving out my opinion on men and how we should behave. You accused that of "imposing responsibilities". Make up your mind. If I'm giving my subjective opinion, as you claim, then you certainly can't accuse me of "imposing responsibilities". In the larger spectrum, I prefer a mix of communal and individualistic. If a society is too group oriented then it steals from the individual's ability to thrive; an overly individualistic society is an inherently selfish society.

But it's clear that communal societies lead to better and more healthy families and therefore more happiness if everyone knows their role. Worship of the individual, something that was at the forefront of the Cold War to separate itself from the USSR, is a poisonous ideology that leads to social stagnation. Everyone is allowed their own opinion and their own perspective. The problem becomes when people think their own individual opinions allow them to skirt their duty to their family, their people, their nation. It's the opposite extreme of overly worship of the group that you see with communists and leftists.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:09:08 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2149 on: January 15, 2023, 06:24:12 PM »
I'm giving out my opinion on men and how we should behave. You accused that of "imposing responsibilities". Make up your mind. If I'm giving my subjective opinion, as you claim, then you certainly can't accuse me of "imposing responsibilities".
Of course I can. If you're merely offering a subjective position, I can still reject it, as I did when I mentioned I wouldn't deny someone "manhood" because of my own ignorance. But in any case, you said you "deny" subjective morality, so you can't have been merely giving your personal subjective opinion.

In the larger spectrum, I prefer a mix of communal and individualistic. If a society is too group oriented then it steals from the individual's ability to thrive; an overly individualistic society is an inherently selfish society.

But it's clear that communal societies lead to better and more healthy families and therefore more happiness if everyone knows their role. Worship of the individual, something that was at the forefront of the Cold War to separate itself from the USSR, is a poisonous ideology that leads to social stagnation. Everyone is allowed their own opinion and their own perspective. The problem becomes when people think their own individual opinions allow them to skirt their duty to their family, their people, their nation. It's the opposite extreme of overly worship of the group that you see with communists and leftists.
This is all subjective. You're defining "their role", "their duty", "their people", "their nation", etc. as what you personally want people to be required to do, that, not allowing individuality, diversity and democracy, is what's selfish. You're denying legitimacy to anyone who does not choose as you wish they do.

And the United States absolutely did not do "worship of the individual" during the Cold War, especially not as an "ideology" as almost literally everything was about your duty to the state in its insane competition with another, failing (SAD!), state. The American position during the Cold War was literally what you advocate for: submission of the individual to "their role" and "their duty" imposed by the circumstance of their birth. The ultimate irony of the Cold War is that American self-doubt caused it to argue against the superiority of the very position it claimed to be defending.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2150 on: January 15, 2023, 06:47:54 PM »

I'm giving out my opinion on men and how we should behave. You accused that of "imposing responsibilities". Make up your mind. If I'm giving my subjective opinion, as you claim, then you certainly can't accuse me of "imposing responsibilities". In the larger spectrum, I prefer a mix of communal and individualistic. If a society is too group oriented then it steals from the individual's ability to thrive; an overly individualistic society is an inherently selfish society.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1614730195767906305
🤴

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #2152 on: January 15, 2023, 07:30:01 PM »
Moreover, Benji. I am arguing from objective morality viewpoint. To me, it is a man's duty - regardless of culture - to defend and protect women. Pretty much every culture has reasoned similarly. In my viewpoint, this is embedded into man by God. Treating women poorly is therefore turning away from God, which is something I am sinful of.

The rationale that some people can do this, anyone can do that makes for a bad society. It's why only a quarter of black women are married and why over 3/4's of black babies born are out of wedlock. Subjective morality to a fault leads to society's dissolution. Without the family unit we all suffer, and without a family we have a poorer and more divided nation overall. Overly individualistic societies produce selfish societies where people can make having something like healthcare be seen as a privilege. Don't get me wrong, overly communal societies can be dangerous in another way but America and the way it's going isn't productive, healthy, or sustainable and I will die on that hill. Extreme libertarianism comes at a price.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2153 on: January 15, 2023, 07:33:58 PM »
Moreover, Benji. I am arguing from objective morality viewpoint.
Not according to yourself:
Not really. I said very clearly,"my perspective."
I'm giving out my opinion on men and how we should behave. You accused that of "imposing responsibilities". Make up your mind. If I'm giving my subjective opinion, as you claim, then you certainly can't accuse me of "imposing responsibilities".

Don't get me wrong, overly communal societies can be dangerous in another way but America and the way it's going isn't productive, healthy, or sustainable and I will die on that hill. Extreme libertarianism comes at a price.
Meanwhile in reality, there's more of the state and more Americans demanding mandatory collectivism in the social, cultural and political spheres than ever. Which is why you created this thread in the first place.

Himu

« Reply #2154 on: January 15, 2023, 07:58:43 PM »
It's a bad type not collectivism, though. It is precisely the dangerous collectivist thought I am referring to: that demands fealty to everyone thinking the same and to the group above all else.And none of it is grounded in an objective place of morality such as God.

American society in the past struck a line between collectivist and individualist. Both, at an extreme, are dangerous to society for totally different reasons.

A person should be able to live their life in the way they deem fit and articulate their thoughts so long as in a respectful manner, but also know where their duty lies. Sure, you can have sex with a woman before marriage if you choose. But if you get her pregnant you should do your duty and marry her. That was the responsibility we had in the past. Now a man just backs out and a kid grows up without a father and society suffers due to an individual's selfishness that acquiesced from his responsibility as a man.

When I say communal, I mean things like Asia and Africa where everyone knows their role and works to producing a healthy, educated, informed society. Not the collectivist thought of leftists.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:04:57 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2155 on: January 15, 2023, 08:14:38 PM »
Yeah, but you're just making things up and fetishizing the other because it seems exotic and therefore you don't see any of the flaws. Literally every place in Asia has been complaining, for centuries or longer, about how their society is collapsing in the exact same way for the exact same reasons you're claiming America is collapsing. Where in Africa are you seeing this "healthy, educated, informed society" exactly if America is somehow failing the standard?

You're also again conflating subjective "duties" with objective truths. People actually ditched their kids all the time in the past. What's the rate of kids without fathers in 1850? We have no fucking clue. I just did a quick search to find out how far back these numbers go, didn't even discount all the shitty borderline fascist "America First" sources that turned up (since their sources seemed to be cromulent) and none of them go back before 1965. You claim it's some unmeasurable rise in individual selfishness when we have an actually measurable rise in the size of the welfare state that actively punishes fathers staying in the home.

Polident Hive

« Reply #2156 on: January 16, 2023, 10:30:07 PM »
https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/jeremy-clarkson-amazon-grand-tour-canceled-1235490701/

tbh don’t know if this qualifies as culture war babble. But amazing to spike the big second chance you got. Deal with Amazon was at the right time when they needed content. A third chance from another steaming service? Doubtful when they’re actively cancelling completed works.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2157 on: January 19, 2023, 11:53:00 AM »
objective place of morality such as God.

:era

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2158 on: January 19, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »
Some recent good ones

Bike helmet laws are racist

Last year, health officials in Seattle decided to stop requiring bicyclists to wear helmets. Independent research found that nearly half of Seattle’s helmet tickets in recent years went to unhoused people, while Black and Native American cyclists in the city were four times and two times more likely, respectively, than white cyclists to be cited.

Whether people should wear helmets was not the motivation behind the repeal, King County Councilmember Girmay Zahilay said at the time. “The question is whether a helmet law that is enforced by police, on balance, produces results that outweigh the harms the law creates.” For lawmakers, the answer was clear: The potential benefits of a helmet mandate were not worth the harms it did to marginalized Seattle residents.

Gender neutral Brit Awards sees only men nominated in top category
"What, I love gender neutral awards ceremonies now!"
- Misogynists

Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2159 on: January 19, 2023, 05:48:34 PM »