Author Topic: Blu-Ray/4K UHD Talk Thread (+DVD/VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/D-VHS/CED/VCD/8mm etc.)  (Read 9030 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Random thread for me to post about upcoming releases, stuff I'm watching, whatever.

Bad movie, but I like this cover art that looks like Candyman is about to fight The Warriors.

Nothing beats 70/80's sleaze in 4K. Imagine watching this as high as Stephen King was when he said that. :rejoice

©@©™

Bebpo

Getting these this month:

Never heard of this 1992 film, but it's got my boi Tony Leung and apparently had an oscar nom and the 4k transfer is supposed to look great? Curious to check it out.

Never seen this, but boxart is amazing. Might not have got it if the boxart wasn't so good.

Haven't seen this either. Like Beatles music so curious about it. The boxart is pretty terrible.

The reviews for this are pretty great and I've never seen it. Might give it a shot though worried it'll be too old and hokey.

Also my Roger Rabbit from Black Friday sales showed up. Definitely looking forward to giving it a spin. Feel like it could look real good in 4k HDR. I hate steelbooks generally, and didn't get this one, but I gotta say the best buy exclusive steelbook cover looks so much better for Roger Rabbit.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Is this a good movie? No. But is it worth watching? Also no. But is it $12. Yes.

Candyman 3 has some very big 90's Direct-to-Video energy, with slightly above soap opera level acting, cinematography, and effects. Donna D'Errico was laughable as Candyman's white great-great-granddaughter Caroline, as were the over-the-top white racist cops that served as secondary antagonists. Also the kills were all pretty boring. It's roughly on par with a later Hellraiser sequel.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Fantastic movie. I missed picking up Shout Factory's release before it went out of print, so I was happy to see Kino Lorber putting out this new 4K remaster. Invasion isn't quite the goated 50's horror remake that The Thing or The Fly are, but it it's still great and this was a great release.

Time for a double feature of sleaze, with The Toolbox Murders and Giallo in Venice. First, Toolbox Murders, it's a bad movie. It looks bad, it feels bad (man), but there's a charm to these shitty slashers that were made before Halloween. There's was no blueprint yet, they were just fumbling around in the dark. All they knew was that the floodgates of tiddies and gore were wide open, and they were going for it.

It was nothing compared to the sleaze level of Giallo in Venice, though. I've seen great giallos, but this is not one of them. I've also seen some sleazy giallos, and this one tops them all. It had hookers getting stabbed in the vagina, it had a husband emotionally manipulating his wife into cucking him again her will while he jerked off, the same husband convinces his wife to have public sex with him while another guy pulls out his (possibly real human?!?) penis and starts jerking it. Late in the film, when a woman get her leg sawed off while she was still alive, that barely even registered at point. It wasn't a good movie, like a at all, but holy crap dude, they didn't hold back. The print also looked like garbage, probably because the only uncut print of the film was discovered in the attic of a Portuguese dentist's office. I always love seeing "Don't blame us, this is as good as it gets!" disclaimer when you put in a Blu-ray. :lol
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

I feel like I have a lot in common with Mr. Shakur, tbqh. I have the soul of a warrior-poet and also I'm dead (on the inside).
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Love this movie. Rick Baker with the goated werewolf transformation scene of course, but it's also just really funny and charming. I love David and Jack's scenes together as Jack increasingly disintegrates, while still maintaining his deadpan humor. There's also just a lot of little weird touches that make me laugh, like Frank Oz's scene at the hospital, or the final shot of David's crumpled body smash-cutting to a do-wop version of Blue Moon over the credits, and then there's a special credit wishing well the marriage of Princess Diana and Prince Charles (after earlier in the film David calls Prince Charles a taco to try to get a cop to arrest him). Arrow's release looks great too. Some of the previous Blu-ray releases have been a bit scuffed, but this one is fantastic. I know the 4K release is coming out in a few months, but I don't really feel the need to upgrade. Plus, Demi-kun bought me this disc, so now it's a family heirloom.
©@©™

Bebpo

Got The Piano today and it's really odd that Criterion has zero consistency with their 4K releases. Some are cardboard foldouts, some are traditional clear plastic. Very odd.

Also I found out that The Lover is the wrong Tony Leung! Even the review I read said "Tony Leung (Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, Lust Caution, Shang-Chi)" but apparently this is a different Tony Leung and I've been fooled. So now I bought some random movie with nobody I know directed by nobody I know. Guess I'll watch it and find out.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Also I found out that The Lover is the wrong Tony Leung! Even the review I read said "Tony Leung (Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, Lust Caution, Shang-Chi)" but apparently this is a different Tony Leung and I've been fooled. So now I bought some random movie with nobody I know directed by nobody I know. Guess I'll watch it and find out.

Haha, well he did star in Wong Kar-wai’s Ashes of Time, so close! Let me know what you think. It supposed to be highly regarded, but the subject mater is a little….ehhh…..”French”.
©@©™

NekoFever

I must have missed that Criterion was doing 4K discs now. How are they?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

I haven't bought any yet, but from what I've read, they're all pretty much reference quality as you'd expect, but none of them are exactly 4K showcases. Uncut Gems is the only new release, and the rest are like Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, and A Hard Day's Night.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

A giallo with Hammer's gothic horror sensibility. It's got a sweet old castle, a family curse, and a lot of suspicious characters lurking about. And a gorilla, for basically no reason. It adds nothing to the plot and only serves as a red herring for people that are familiar with Murders in the Rue Morgue. It doesn't commit the murders, nor is it suspected by any of the characters in the movie of having committed the murders. It also features Charlotte Gainsborough's parental units, Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin (although Serge plays a pretty minor role). It's a decent movie with a decent plot, decent acting, and a decent twist,  it's all very decent although nothing outstanding.
©@©™

Bebpo

I wasn't that impressed from the bits of I skimmed of their first release with Mulholland Drive, but then all their classic stuff has looked incredible.

The Red Shoes is absolutely reference quality showcase. The colors are gorgeous. Citizen Kane & A Hard Day's Night are really impressive showcases of B&W with HDR plus the extra detail.

Otherwise, the usual tons of good extras and nice books of essays. Mulholland drive has almost no extras because Lynch  :'( I don't even think it has chapters.

NekoFever

Citizen Kane just got an upgrade to 4K on iTunes. I wonder if it’s the same master.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Otherwise, the usual tons of good extras and nice books of essays. Mulholland drive has almost no extras because Lynch  :'( I don't even think it has chapters.

Yeah, that's just David Lynch being weird. I remember as far back as the first DVD release, he demanded that there be no chapter breaks (and also refused to do any extras).
©@©™

Bebpo

Citizen Kane just got an upgrade to 4K on iTunes. I wonder if it’s the same master.

Would assume so. Even the non-4k BD looks great with this restoration.

Yeah, that's just David Lynch being weird. I remember as far back as the first DVD release, he demanded that there be no chapter breaks (and also refused to do any extras).

Yep. Lynch is like "this is my film, it's my art, it speaks for itself, on to the next project!"

Lynch is great, but there are some downsides to his style of art.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

From the most Borian name of all-time, writer/director Dick Maas, it's Amsterdamned! I hadn't seen this movie before and I was kinda worried that maybe he shot his creative load with the title, but this movie was actually pretty awesome. It's a slasher movie, but from the perspective of the super cop that is on his trail. He's kinda like Dirty Harry, but not really, he isn't a loose canon and the chief doesn't take his badge, he just drinks on the job and hits on women and acts cool and everyone loves him.  8) It's got some pretty nice action scenes, there's a high speed car chase through the streets of Amsterdam and then later a high speed boat chase through the canals. It's a fun little movie. And it even has a sweet 80's theme song from a Dutch girl group called "Lois Lane".

©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
People who remember what it was like still talk fondly about Amsterdam in the 80's, look what they took from us :tocry
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

:whoo
🤴

NekoFever

Ooh, nice. My copy’s on the way. Sadly not the steelbook, though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

A beautiful coming-of-age story about a high school girl that inherits her great-uncle's moribund yakuza clan and has to fend off attempted murders, attempted rapes, and attempted Bond Villains. 5 stars.
©@©™

Bebpo

12 Monkeys 4k announced for late April. This and maybe some more Criterion are the only pick ups for me in the next couple of months. Not a lot of new 4k releases.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Probably just gonna hodl my Arrow Blu-ray copy of 12 Monkeys. It's not on my "Must Upgrade" list.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
ANIME!

The Project A-ko Blu-Ray has a pretty cool story behind it. When Discotek first announced the Blu-Ray, the original film elements were thought to no longer exist, so the plan was to use a Domesday Duplicator to scan the film directly from a laserdisc then use AI upscaling technology on that to create a new 2K master. It was disappointing, but it was the best possible solution at the time. Then Robert Woodhead launched a Kickstarter to remaster the MADOX-01 OVA, and when he contacted the film lab in Tokyo that was storing the film prints for MADOX, he found out they also had Project A-ko stored in the same location. He let Discotek know and they scrapped the plans to use Domesday, and restored the 35mm print instead. And it looks fantastic, btw.

1st and 3rd UY movies came out on Blu-Ray recently. (The 2nd one came out several years ago.) I'm not really a big UY fan, but started watching the movies because of Mamoru Oshii. Even though he only directed the first two, some of the later sequels are interesting too. The first one "Only You" is honestly pretty dull, though. It takes Lum and Ataru's one note relationship and stretches it as far as it can possibly go. Lum loves Ataru, Ataru loves chasing every girl but Lum. This movie adds the alien princess Elle, who Ataru accidentally promised to marry 11 years ago, but then forgot about. So yes, now there are two alien princesses that want to marry Ataru, and Ataru is all to happy to ditch Lum and rush off to an alien planet and marry another alien princess, sight unseen, rather than marry the alien princess he has at home. It's the "mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat" gag, stretched out to a feature length film.

"Beautiful Dreamer" is by far the best of the series, and one of the best anime films ever made IMO. Oshii wrote this one and had full creative control on it (which almost caused mangaka Rumiko Takahashi to veto the whole thing); and ironically improved everything by pushing Ataru and Lum to the sidelines, ditching all the other aliens and outer space plotlines, and giving more of the focus to the background characters. As the title "Beautiful Dreamer" implies, it has a definitely dreamlike quality to it (literally, as you find out eventually) with the students at Tomobiki High School trapped in a time loop and repeating their days over and over in an idyllic haze. Unlike the first movie, you can definitely see familiar touches here that you'd later seen in Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor.

After the second movie, Oshii dipped out from the series because he wanted to do more creative work, and he was replaced with Kazuo Yamazaki on the series and movies. "Remember My Love" is not even close to as good as "Beautiful Dreamer", but it is better than the first IMO. Lum and Ataru are back to be the focus, but it does try to develop them somewhat beyond just Ataru being hornt up and Lum being mad at him. In this one, Lum gets (accidentally) cursed by a witch to never be with her beloved, which ends up getting Ataru turned into a pink hippo. He gets depressed because he thinks Lum won't want him anymore now that he's a hippo, but she assures him she still does. He eventually turns back into a human, but then Lum is kidnapped by a space wizard. At first Ataru is happy because he can horndog all he wants, but eventually he realizes he isn't happy without Lum. It's not a very focused film, but it's not bad.

Also, as I've said before, I love an 80's movie with a cheesy theme song that has the name of the movie in it, and by god if "Remember My Love" doesn't have one, and in English no less, by Japanese-American pop singer Stephanie.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 02:58:12 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

NekoFever

Dune sounds so fucking good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
DUNE in ATMOS :lawd

I'm going to the Zimmer concert in March. Last time was right before Wonder Woman dropped and Tina Guo was there too. Hopefully Dune is part of the arrangement :hyper
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

oh shit, this movie looks amazing! It's from the director of Tetsuo: The Iron Man, and it's coming out on Blu-ray next week.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
what kind of setup you watching these on, joe?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Nothing too exciting, I have a 65" Samsung 4K LCD TV and Samsung 2.1 soundbar that I got last year during Black Friday for about $650 total. I use the Xbox Series X as my player.
©@©™

Bebpo

That Zatoichi collection of 25 films for $108 is super tempting. It's just so hard to spend money on physical 2k discs when there could be a 4k release in the future (these were 35mm so they could rescan them at 4k when it's financially feasible).

Plus when the fuck am I going to have time to watch 25 movies.

Still pretty tempting just because it's cool looking set and Zatoichi is cool.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Watched the 4K remaster of Inglorious Basterds I picked up last year.
It looks stunning and the movie hasn't aged a day.

Setup is here the LG C9 OLED 55 inch and a LG DSN8YG Dobly Atmos soundbar that I got for peanuts on Black Friday. Xbox Series X as the player.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Blu-ray release of the year incoming.

SANTO: EL ENMASCARADO DE PLATA is a 4 Blu-ray Disc compilation, consisting of eight classic Mexican movies, featuring Santo, Blue Demon and "Mantequilla" Nápoles, the popular wrestling superheroes and contains the following titles:
• SANTO IN THE WAX MUSEUM (1963/92mins/B&W)
• SANTO IN THE TREASURE OF DRACULA - (1969/81mins/Color/no Nudity version)
• SANTO VS THE RIDERS OF TERROR (1970/80mins/Color)
• SANTO in THE VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY (1971/87mins/Color)
• SANTO VS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER (1972/97mins/Color)
• SANTO & BLUE DEMON VS DRACULA AND THE WOLFMAN (1973/90mins/Color)
• SANTO & BLUE DEMON VS DR. FRANKENSTEIN (1974/95mins/Color)
• SANTO and MANTEQUILLA NAPOLES in THE REVENGE OF LA LLORONA (THE CRYING WOMAN) (1974/87mins/Color)
©@©™

Bebpo

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Some-Like-It-Hot-4K-Blu-ray/299597/#Review

Sounds good. 4k transfer is a 4k restoration Criterion did in 2018 for their 2k BD release. Never seen it, but will give it a shot. Enjoying visiting classic films in 4k.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Dude, I'm cheesing my effing brains out right now!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Local video store was doing a Buy 2 Get 1 Sale for President Day, and someone had just traded in a bunch of Shout Factory Blus, so I bought a big stack. The Blob, My Bloody Valentine, and Drag Me to Hell were the main three I wanted to add to my collection. Ghost Ship is one that I was interested in revisiting, because I just remember it being critically slammed at release, and I was curious how it played 20 years later. Ginger Snaps for the same reason, except I remember it being highly praised at the time. Alone in the Dark (not the Uwe Boll version, I'm not that hard up to revisit bad aughts horror movies yet) stars Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Donald Pleasence so it couldn't possibly be bad. The Burning is a movie I've been meaning to watch for a while, I've heard it's good. Tales from the Darkside, I just really love these 80's anthology horror movies like Creepshow. And Terror Vision/Video Dead I just picked up because it's OOP and was cheap.

And here's some more of my pick-ups from the past few weeks.

Raw Force is one of my favorite bad movies ever, just incredible. :rejoice
©@©™

Tasty

Hooked my Blu-ray player back up for the first time in five years. :win

Got it connected to my auto-HDMI-switcher. Sill rocking 1080p but looking forward to diving back into my David Fincher and Mega64 Blu-rays.

My internet is wicked shitty atm, and dem discs got dat high bitrate :drool

NekoFever

Just ordered this from Shout Factory:

One of my cult favourites that I haven’t seen since VHS. Reviews are very positive so far.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I’ve only seen the TV edit, but I remember enjoying it. Always down for a giant gator movie.
©@©™

NekoFever

It's one of the better post-Jaws [insert species here] on a rampage movies. Worth checking out.

Also Bryan Cranston worked on it as a special effects assistant before he got his break in acting.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

The Warriors theatrical cut is finally getting a Blu-ray release via the Aussie label, Imprint. Confirmed to be Region Free as well. Even though the Director's Cut of The Warriors isn't as egregious as something like the Star Wars Special Editions, the additions always annoyed me. I love The Warriors, happy to add this one to my collection.

©@©™

Tasty

Theatrical Cut shits all over Director's Cut, it is known.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

goals
©@©™

NekoFever

Alligator looks so good.

Shoutout to Amazon for getting a US import to me in four days with free shipping and no import charges too  :delicious

chronovore

• relapsed dev
(Image removed from quote.)

goals
The Warriors videogame was so much better than I had expected. That movie is still a heap of fun.

Bebpo

team filler

• filler
  • filler

NekoFever

Just got this.

I love these Arrow LEs. They're doing Robocop in a couple of weeks.

Bebpo

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Godfather-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/307780/

Godfather Trilogy 4ks supposed to look great. Should be a nice get when it's like 50% off at Black Friday.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Bought Arrow's Shawscope Vol. 1 and also Come Drink With Me. Bout to get Shaw'd up.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Godfather-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/307780/

Godfather Trilogy 4ks supposed to look great. Should be a nice get when it's like 50% off at Black Friday.
Watched the Scarface anniversary edition the other day. A really nice restored 4K image although the quality of the sound effects and dialogue is a bit lacking.

Soundtrack by Giorgio Morodor as good as ever though just like the pacing of the film :lawd
It's essentially a Morodor music video starring Al Pacino.  8)
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Bought Arrow's Shawscope Vol. 1 and also Come Drink With Me. Bout to get Shaw'd up.

Watched Dirty Ho and King Boxer. Dirty Ho had some great physical comedy, with a character that's a kung fu master but he's trying to hide the fact that he's a kung fu master, as he "accidentally" dodges, weaves, and fends off attackers, while making everyone else think he's just a bumbling buffoon. In another scene he claims a brothel girl is his bodyguard, and uses her arms and legs like a puppet to defeat the titular Ho, who somehow doesn't realize what's happening and thinks he's getting his ass kicked by an actual ho. The second half gets more serious and less interesting imho, but it's still got some decent fight scenes.

King Boxer is more serious and brutal and it has some amazing fights. It's about two orphans that are adopted and raised by a kung fu master, one leaves to get training from a better kung fu master and returns stronger than the first brother, but the master believes that the first brother Chihao has more potential of the two, and sends him to train as well with the other master. The other master mocks him and tells him his kung fu sucks and he can stay and work in the kitchen, but he keeps training until the master finally recognizes his ability, and tells him that he was training him to have humility before teaching him his ultimate technique, the Iron Palm. His adopted brother gets jealous that the master taught Chihao the Iron Palm instead of him, so he goes to a rival school for help to get revenge. A group of them catch Chihao alone and beat him up and them smash his hands so he can never use the Iron Palm again, but spoiler alert, through sheer force of kung fu will, he heals his crippled hands and kicks major ass. Lots of good fights, very bloody, the dude's hands glow when he uses the Iron Palm, and also it has the Kill Bill siren. 5/5 movie.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale for Easter at the video store. Been meaning to pick up the Quatermass movies, Crash, and The Gate for a while.

©@©™

Thirty-Ought-Six

Oh fuck, I didn't know there were new Shaw Brothers releases. Arrow and 88 Films both have some, ordering now. Looks like my favorite (Martial Club) is coming out in July too.

Nuitangg

Preordered the Robocop 4k steelbook from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped.  :maf

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Got my copy of Heavy Metal 4K/Heavy Metal 2000 yesterday. :rejoice

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I got my copy of The Warriors that I preordered from Australia just one day after the release date. Probably gonna watch it tonight. :lawd

And in other preorder news, the UK is getting a 4K boxset of Police Story 1, 2, and Supercop (and yes I preordered it).  :mindblown

©@©™

Coax

Dragons Forever also coming out on UHD BD which is cool

NekoFever

I got the new Arrow 4K LE of Candyman the other day.

Bebpo

Arrow really went all out for this True Romance 4K special edition. Was only like $30 at Amazon by the time of release but you get a big fat Criterion kinda book, poster, postcards, fake tattoo. Plus there's a ton of features on the disc too and the transfer is supposed to be great.

One of my favorite classics, nice to see it get such a cool edition.

Bebpo

FYI Criterion 50% off sale is up. So 4k discs are all $25 on Amazon.

Didn't realize Shaft released! So grabbed that and Le Cercle Rouge. I think I now have every single Criterion 4k release outside Uncut Gems (great movie, but not really interested in owning modern flicks atm). I have a problem which is going to get very expensive over time...

I just really like the books & extras on Criterion discs. So much fun learning bits of film history I never knew even as a film buff growing up.
Also helps having disposable income atm.

Bebpo

FYI Criterion Sale, at least on Amazon, updated to pre-orders for the next month or two slate. Raging Bull 4k $25, nice.