Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 217157 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #3720 on: December 19, 2022, 08:13:12 PM »
I've considered myself a feminist my whole life but intersectional feminism has taken up the core message of feminism for the past decade that I'm not sure it's worth labeling oneself as a feminist without push back. To be true, women's rights are important, but when it morphs into some radical behavior of hierarchy that displaces straight black men - a historically denigrated group - as oppressors I'm going to question my ties to it.

To me intersectional appears to be the end game of feminism and if it is, why continue to identify as a feminist when it has done catastrophic harm? Feminism tends to grow in waves. Do you think the next wave of feminism will be more moderate? It seems to be getting only more extreme thanks to social media. So how do you reconcile still identifying being a feminist when intersectional is the definition of feminism these days? This isn't the feminism of our youth which was pretty reasonable and rationale
You keep doing this, you're allowing others to control the definition of things and then turning against the things because of the people who identify that way.

If intersectional feminism betrays the tenets of feminism (assume so for the sake of the argument) it doesn't follow to dismiss feminism, only those falsely claiming the label. If you support the tenets then it behooves you to defend the tenets against phony usurpers rather than to grant them the authority those tenets convey that they betray.

Himu

« Reply #3721 on: December 19, 2022, 08:18:19 PM »
I've considered myself a feminist my whole life but intersectional feminism has taken up the core message of feminism for the past decade that I'm not sure it's worth labeling oneself as a feminist without push back. To be true, women's rights are important, but when it morphs into some radical behavior of hierarchy that displaces straight black men - a historically denigrated group - as oppressors I'm going to question my ties to it.

To me intersectional appears to be the end game of feminism and if it is, why continue to identify as a feminist when it has done catastrophic harm? Feminism tends to grow in waves. Do you think the next wave of feminism will be more moderate? It seems to be getting only more extreme thanks to social media. So how do you reconcile still identifying being a feminist when intersectional is the definition of feminism these days? This isn't the feminism of our youth which was pretty reasonable and rationale
You keep doing this, you're allowing others to control the definition of things and then turning against the things because of the people who identify that way.

If intersectional feminism betrays the tenets of feminism (assume so for the sake of the argument) it doesn't follow to dismiss feminism, only those falsely claiming the label. If you support the tenets then it behooves you to defend the tenets against phony usurpers rather than to grant them the authority those tenets convey that they betray.

That's a fair point. I tend to throw my support behind certain things such as the Iran protests or France mistreating Muslim women, rather than labeling myself a feminist which in my opinion has become tainted. As a man, too, why should I identify as a feminist? That's a woman thing and that's their movement.

At the heart of it, I'm still a bleeding heart and I still care about women's issues. I just don't think there's merit in identifying with the label of feminism in 2022. What are men getting out of it?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:26:13 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3722 on: December 19, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »
As a man, too, why should I identify as a feminist? That's a woman thing.

I was waiting for this sentence, verbatim from you.

:neogaf

Youre so fucking lost.

Himu

« Reply #3723 on: December 19, 2022, 08:22:18 PM »
Adults talking and then here's Cauliflower. I hope God blesses your heart to become less of a hateful person.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3724 on: December 19, 2022, 08:24:21 PM »
Himu, I didnt need a god to justify the notion of being lost.

You need a god to help you find a way.

benjipwns

« Reply #3725 on: December 19, 2022, 08:27:52 PM »
Well, identifying as something isn't as important as actually being it. But think about radical feminists, especially of the TERF variety like Jane Clare Jones, they see the importance of defending their version of feminism because they think feminism is actually important. They care about the label because it's become seen as a signifier of "good" but really their dispute and their passion is about the ideas, any chagrin about the label being "stolen" is because they think those claiming it are betraying the ideals. Nobody wants to give up something just because someone else has come along and claimed it especially when they don't seem to actually care about the subject enough to learn about it. Think about anything else like fans not liking movies not being true to the book or comic, console gamers looking down on mobile gamers, music fans criticizing fans of newer artists, etc. Ideas and philosophies are no different. That's why you have to expose and kill the revisionists rather than let them take control of the revolution.

Himu

« Reply #3726 on: December 19, 2022, 08:32:17 PM »
Well, identifying as something isn't as important as actually being it. But think about radical feminists, especially of the TERF variety like Jane Clare Jones, they see the importance of defending their version of feminism because they think feminism is actually important. They care about the label because it's become seen as a signifier of "good" but really their dispute and their passion is about the ideas, any chagrin about the label being "stolen" is because they think those claiming it are betraying the ideals. Nobody wants to give up something just because someone else has come along and claimed it especially when they don't seem to actually care about the subject enough to learn about it. Think about anything else like fans not liking movies not being true to the book or comic, console gamers looking down on mobile gamers, music fans criticizing fans of newer artists, etc. Ideas and philosophies are no different. That's why you have to expose and kill the revisionists rather than let them take control of the revolution.

Hm I've never thought of it like that. Thank you for the perspective. How could I continue to fight these revisionists while being true to myself if it feels like they control the narrative? To turn it around a bit, when I said feminism is a woman thing I mean in the strictest of terms that it's their movement. If so, why should it behoove me to fight for the feminism that I believe in if it's not my movement? I guess the best answer would be,"feminism isn't going away." Another could be because "it's the right thing to do". I guess that's what gets white people motivated for fighting for black issues.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:38:05 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3727 on: December 19, 2022, 08:42:14 PM »
I think that would depend on the extent of your belief in feminism. Like if someone said "I'm a feminist, all women should be strapped in and bred like cows" you'd object to their claim right? If someone says the latter part and you ask "how can you say that?" and they say "because I'm a feminist" then you're definitely going to dispute that. Just because a whole bunch of other people are also doing this isn't reason for you to get shaky about your hold on what feminism means.

You're a Muslim, think about Shia and Shiites, neither side gives up Islam because the other dude and a whole bunch of other dudes is totally wrong about Islam.

Himu

« Reply #3728 on: December 19, 2022, 08:50:02 PM »
I think that would depend on the extent of your belief in feminism. Like if someone said "I'm a feminist, all women should be strapped in and bred like cows" you'd object to their claim right? If someone says the latter part and you ask "how can you say that?" and they say "because I'm a feminist" then you're definitely going to dispute that. Just because a whole bunch of other people are also doing this isn't reason for you to get shaky about your hold on what feminism means.

You're a Muslim, think about Shia and Shiites, neither side gives up Islam because the other dude and a whole bunch of other dudes is totally wrong about Islam.

Good points. With Islam, since America isn't a Muslim nation, we come to the conclusion that,"they're Muslims. We disagree, but they're Muslim." I'd struggle to make to make that kind of concession with intersectional feminism the same way I am with Shia's. At least with Shia's I can still go to a Shia masjid and pray even if we disagree. I struggle to find any such commonalities with intersectional feminists.

That said, I'm open to trying. I feel like I'm betraying myself being anti-feminist because it has always been so important to me.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3729 on: December 19, 2022, 10:31:15 PM »
Good points. With Islam, since America isn't a Muslim nation, we come to the conclusion that,"they're Muslims. We disagree, but they're Muslim." I'd struggle to make to make that kind of concession with intersectional feminism the same way I am with Shia's. At least with Shia's I can still go to a Shia masjid and pray even if we disagree. I struggle to find any such commonalities with intersectional feminists.
Well, the goal. I think you normally have to accept that people really do want the goals they say even if they're going about it completely in the wrong way or even in a way that guarantees failure. Like the Muslims have the shared goal of heaven (I assume, I'm trying to be general and broad here), all the "feminists" would want equality for women presumably. Plus when you start defining God or morality or equality or women, people are going to disagree. Take the abortion debate for example, people really struggle about the other side from them truly believing it's a violation of rights, so they have to construct some crazy theory about their secret TRUE goals of enslaving women or eating baby parts or whatever. Even me trying to be evenhanded in this way is going to trigger at least one person who will read this and be like "BUT THEY ACTUALLY DO BELIEVE THAT" because we often want to believe goals are legitimate so we must seek another way to delegitimize their views.

This is one reason I'm big on pointing out when someones position fails on its own terms. Like if you're pro-life and arguing that any woman who gets an abortion should be put to death, I'm kinda missing the point if I'm trying to convince you to be pro-choice rather than just not stupid by your own standards. I think this is a lot of the core failure embedded in many of the intersectional stances aside from whether or not I agree with some of their other aspects.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3730 on: December 20, 2022, 09:13:44 AM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3781457-many-senate-republicans-arent-protecting-trump-after-jan-6-panels-nod-to-criminal-charges/

Now they say it’s up to Attorney General Merrick Garland or Department of Justice special counsel Jack Smith to investigate or indict Trump, but they’re not waving federal prosecutors off from prosecuting the former president. 

“The entire nation knows who is responsible for that day,” McConnell said in a statement, pointing the finger squarely at Trump in response to the House Jan. 6 committee referring four criminal charges against Trump to the Justice Department. 

lol

Occam

« Reply #3731 on: December 20, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »
Apparently none of this is important news. https://www.foxnews.com/ is burying it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3732 on: December 20, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
Marjorie Taylor Greene and Laura Boebert are fighting.
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3733 on: December 20, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »

:whew

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3734 on: December 20, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/StellaEscoTV/status/1605072212393725952

"No people inside, keep rooms empty"  :hmph

This is one topic where I disagree on with some of my fellow conservatives.
But it seems that there's a shift as most people see this as a positive thing.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3735 on: December 20, 2022, 07:10:55 PM »
Well, the goal. I think you normally have to accept that people really do want the goals they say even if they're going about it completely in the wrong way or even in a way that guarantees failure. Like the Muslims have the shared goal of heaven (I assume, I'm trying to be general and broad here), all the "feminists" would want equality for women presumably. Plus when you start defining God or morality or equality or women, people are going to disagree. Take the abortion debate for example, people really struggle about the other side from them truly believing it's a violation of rights, so they have to construct some crazy theory about their secret TRUE goals of enslaving women or eating baby parts or whatever. Even me trying to be evenhanded in this way is going to trigger at least one person who will read this and be like "BUT THEY ACTUALLY DO BELIEVE THAT" because we often want to believe goals are legitimate so we must seek another way to delegitimize their views.

This is one reason I'm big on pointing out when someones position fails on its own terms. Like if you're pro-life and arguing that any woman who gets an abortion should be put to death, I'm kinda missing the point if I'm trying to convince you to be pro-choice rather than just not stupid by your own standards. I think this is a lot of the core failure embedded in many of the intersectional stances aside from whether or not I agree with some of their other aspects.

Well met and well reasoned. Yeah, people (even me) will go into histrionics about what "the other side" is doing because we legitimately cannot understand their viewpoint. I have this towards Democrats and gun ownership. As to how it relates to feminism, I can understand their goal is for "equality" for women, but they're definitely going about it in a horrific, toxic manner that will only lead to backlash. I thought about it and you're right in that if you let people define what you believe in and let it go, it gives them the power to define x thing however they want. By intersectional feminists pushing away regular everyday feminists of old they're actually taking over the feminist label and definition to be exclusively theirs. That's not good.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

This is violent, psychotic behavior!
« Reply #3737 on: December 21, 2022, 12:24:14 AM »

Himu

« Reply #3738 on: December 21, 2022, 02:19:13 AM »
Benji you're right. I read this story and it sparked the old feminist me with rage. I thought that part of me was long and dead.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/12/20/taliban-says-women-banned-from-universities-in-afghanistan

IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:26:40 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3741 on: December 21, 2022, 05:08:09 AM »
THE FBI WAS UNDER YOUR GOVERNMENT AT THE TIME OH MY GOD WHEN IS HE GOING TO HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH RYUK FEOM DEATH NOTE
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3742 on: December 21, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
I think feminism is important in the sense that any struggle for equal rights is important. My issue is solely with intersectional feminism and the mental goal posts it shifts for people. Not to mention the threat it poses to black boys and black men when your teacher, doctor, therapist, etc essentially views you as inhuman or a natural predator that needs to be neutered (or worse). We've got a lot of women who love Bell Hooks and that alone is a problem. I'm not going to exaggerate and claim this is a majority or even close to it. But it's enough to cause problems when they enter academia.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of this shit has replaced black power and/or black nationalist ideals. Think about the conversations and goals that were once priorities. Black independence, black businesses, pan Africanism etc. Now we've got movements more interested in protesting police brutality by twerking. While doing everything in their power to push as many black men out of movements as possible. That can't be a coincidence in this country. There's a clear agenda at work when dysfunction and resentment are being promoted between black men and black women. There's a clear agenda at work when black women are positioned as the image/spokesman for obesity - when they're also the people most likely to die of heart failure/hypertension/etc. Some wild shit is going on right now.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3743 on: December 21, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
I think feminism is important in the sense that any struggle for equal rights is important. My issue is solely with intersectional feminism and the mental goal posts it shifts for people. Not to mention the threat it poses to black boys and black men when your teacher, doctor, therapist, etc essentially views you as inhuman or a natural predator that needs to be neutered (or worse). We've got a lot of women who love Bell Hooks and that alone is a problem. I'm not going to exaggerate and claim this is a majority or even close to it. But it's enough to cause problems when they enter academia.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of this shit has replaced black power and/or black nationalist ideals. Think about the conversations and goals that were once priorities. Black independence, black businesses, pan Africanism etc. Now we've got movements more interested in protesting police brutality by twerking. While doing everything in their power to push as many black men out of movements as possible. That can't be a coincidence in this country. There's a clear agenda at work when dysfunction and resentment are being promoted between black men and black women. There's a clear agenda at work when black women are positioned as the image/spokesman for obesity - when they're also the people most likely to die of heart failure/hypertension/etc. Some wild shit is going on right now.

I'm gonna preface this, I'm latinx(lol).

What I've seen happen, I deal with alot of small businesses doing this and that for them.

The increase of women who are POC in the past five years has been big.

To attribute this to feminism pushing out male POC voices is kind of...gross to be honest.

POC males basking in the side effect of patriarchy doesn't mean that colored males are being pushed aside. It means that they need to step up.

While doing everything in their power to push as many black men out of movements as possible.

Because there's a perverse taught in action to not let women get  ahead.

Himu

« Reply #3744 on: December 21, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »
Shut the fuck up, Cauliflower.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3745 on: December 21, 2022, 10:24:29 AM »
Did I touch a  nerve in your world view?

Himu

« Reply #3746 on: December 21, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »

The only one continuing this discussion in the old traditional way is Dr. Umar, who can't entirely be taken seriously. Often, all he does is just talk really loudly. Then there's, to a lesser extent when he was alive, Kevin Samuels. But even KS worked wayyyy too hard on black women because it was profitable to do so. Bro I've been talking to sisters and a lot of us agree that the black community was NEVER like this when we were coming up. It's like there's powers that be splitting the community in two, and it feels untenable at this point. That said, these forces have kind of always been there with The Color Purple, or how "black men ain't shit", and stuff like that growing up. It was just more scattered and mixed in with more portrayals of positivity within the community, but it still existed just in bites and pieces.

But yeah, the black woman taking the mantle of dysfunction (twerking for senate)

Has not gone unnoticed. Black women's image is in the toilet and has lost every shred of class it used to have. We went to Claire Huxtable to this??

I think a lot of this has ties with academia and with women's circles and how these ideas spread.

Right now the only solution I've got is talking to more sisters to find common ground. Run with other brothers and sisters with sense and they'll also notice this has never been the black community and it used to be stronger than this. It really feels like it's dying and it's not a good feeling but I'd start with that, talking to like-minded black people with memories that go past social media, because this constant pushing aside black boys and men, is not ballin.

Do you think this a result of the black middle class dissipating, PD? Do you think this is a class thing? But most of this is coming from college educated women. I don't know how to take it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:42:24 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3747 on: December 21, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Did I touch a  nerve in your world view?

No you were a dipshit to my friend and his concerns and called his very real observations to be "gross" despite being nothing but an outside observer. Please leave this discussion alone, you are not wanted nor are your views cared for. You are an abscess, a cancer, in it and do not understand what either PD nor I are talking about and going by your responses to both him and me neither do you care to.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3748 on: December 21, 2022, 10:39:18 AM »
You know less than you think do you.

e:

When you finally find your god, don't ask for forgiveness.

Himu

« Reply #3749 on: December 21, 2022, 10:49:48 AM »
Maurice, let's for a moment, consider that this is just social media amplifying things. Social media divides people. We already know that it does so politically, so perhaps it can achieve this by gender as well. Maybe it takes pre-existing fault lines and just amplifies them and causes further fissures?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3750 on: December 21, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »

What I've seen happen, I deal with alot of small businesses doing this and that for them.

To attribute this to feminism pushing out male POC voices is kind of...gross to be honest.

POC males basking in the side effect of patriarchy doesn't mean that colored males are being pushed aside. It means that they need to step up.

While doing everything in their power to push as many black men out of movements as possible.

Hold on I said nothing about businesses or employment. I'm talking about activist and community groups, where black male voices are being silenced or ignored and where the idea that black women are more marginalized has become dogma. I'm talking about anti-black men sentiments that are directly tied to intersectionality, and where the "black men are the white men of the community" mantra was birthed. It would certainly be ridiculous to say black men are being pushed out of employment opportunities in the private sector.

Himu

« Reply #3751 on: December 21, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »
"Black men are the white men of the community" reminds me of Lipstick Alley. How did that even get mainstream traction?

Frankly that line is probably most offensive. Like, I don't know a single black man I grew up with that can't cook. In my family for instance, we didn't expect women to cook for us. It sure is nice to be cooked for, but we also learned to take care of our own selves. I don't think black men overwhelmingly like want some house slave which is what what that suggests? Where did they even get that black men want complete control over black women? Black men although we are traditional, are pretty hands off. I don't get it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:00:51 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3752 on: December 21, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »

Hold on I said nothing about businesses or employment. I'm talking about activist and community groups, where black male voices are being silenced or ignored and where the idea that black women are more marginalized has become dogma. I'm talking about anti-black men sentiments that are directly tied to intersectionality, and where the "black men are the white men of the community" mantra was birthed. It would certainly be ridiculous to say black men are being pushed out of employment opportunities in the private sector.

These things don't exist in a vacuum by themselves. Business and politics are hand in hand.

There is a parallel in sexism throughout different races, where men come up on top.  No one is "being silenced"  black men, white men, latino men, they're being complacent. They are standing still .

There is a vast shift happening with women who realize that, "oh we don't need these assholes" to move upward.

Himu

« Reply #3753 on: December 21, 2022, 11:04:56 AM »
Yes, black men, the people that are overwhelmingly in prison for non-violent offenses, families destroyed, have come up on top of the black community. In the south and in Texas, the black grandmother figure is the leader of the family. :heh What black men are coming up on top in the black community? Please show us. Show us with evidence that black men are controlling black women for power.

And despite that historical imbalance black women are being trained to attack black men despite us not having any such privilege or benefit of patriarchy.

This is why intersectional feminism is a rot. It's too blanket and assumptive.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3754 on: December 21, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
I definitely think a lot of it is tied to the dismantling of the black middle class, Himu. This is largely a product of dysfunction and a lack of opportunity. At the same time I think hammering victimhood into people's brains from a young age is harmful. This is not an argument against discussing discrimination or racism, both of which still exist and have huge impact on us.

Again, I want to go back to the differences in activism. My mom is old enough to remember the Detroit riots, tanks rolling down the street across from her house, and the Black Panthers. She vividly remembers the breakfast programs, community safety measures, urban farming, and other things the BPs introduced in Detroit and other cities. Or the way black entertainers and athletes were directly involved in helping finance these programs, the same way they directly helped finance MLK, Malcolm X, and the civil rights movement earlier. VS the activism of the last 5-10 years which has next to no real community focus. We went from focusing on our own community to begging white people for Oscars and money. We literally just watched BLM raise millions of dollars, spent it on themselves, and barely dole out anything to actual community programs or groups.

The point being, we now have an activist class that is exclusively focused on white people. And it's largely financed by white people (specifically white women). This gives white liberals the opportunity to absolve their sins by donating to "black causes" that ultimately don't do anything. And it allows a certain class of activists to earn a living while peddling the desired talking points. For all the complaining right wingers do about "woke" shit, deep down they are more comfortable with black people twerking in the face of cops, vs the things black people were doing during the black power movements...

Himu

« Reply #3755 on: December 21, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »
I definitely think a lot of it is tied to the dismantling of the black middle class, Himu. This is largely a product of dysfunction and a lack of opportunity. At the same time I think hammering victimhood into people's brains from a young age is harmful. This is not an argument against discussing discrimination or racism, both of which still exist and have huge impact on us.

Again, I want to go back to the differences in activism. My mom is old enough to remember the Detroit riots, tanks rolling down the street across from her house, and the Black Panthers. She vividly remembers the breakfast programs, community safety measures, urban farming, and other things the BPs introduced in Detroit and other cities. Or the way black entertainers and athletes were directly involved in helping finance these programs, the same way they directly helped finance MLK, Malcolm X, and the civil rights movement earlier. VS the activism of the last 5-10 years which has next to no real community focus. We went from focusing on our own community to begging white people for Oscars and money. We literally just watched BLM raise millions of dollars, spent it on themselves, and barely dole out anything to actual community programs or groups.

The point being, we now have an activist class that is exclusively focused on white people. And it's largely financed by white people (specifically white women). This gives white liberals the opportunity to absolve their sins by donating to "black causes" that ultimately don't do anything. And it allows a certain class of activists to earn a living while peddling the desired talking points. For all the complaining right wingers do about "woke" shit, deep down they are more comfortable with black people twerking in the face of cops, vs the things black people were doing during the black power movements...

A big reason I've transitioned to GOP is because I just find their mindset to be more freeing. As a black Democrat you're told constantly you're a victim and modern black culture is rife with showering itself with the waters of it. You're this, you're that. It leads to a weak mindset that capitulates on victimhood when let's keep it a buck, black people have been surviving and thriving through far harsher odds in the past.

Especially as a man from Detroit this must especially piss you off. When I went to the D, I had never seen so many black people living in well off houses, nice neighborhoods, and good communities en masse. I find it to be such a positive place to be and I could feel that energy. You're blessed to have been raised around it.

I still devoutly believe in the middle class values you and I were raised on. It's just harrowing to see the shift in culture happen from just twenty years ago.

You and I have talked about this privately how black has become fashion. The BLM activists are pontificating it. For all the shit he gets, and I disagree with a lot he says (flat Earth :beli) but I really admire Kyrie. He has the old black activism in him.

https://www.si.com/nba/nets/news/kyrie-irving-donates-60k-to-nycs-oldest-black-muslim-school

https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/kyrie-irving-donates-22000-to-help-college-student-in-need/
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3756 on: December 21, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
PD consider that thread i got banned at Reset for and how it relates to our current discussion:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-banality-of-blackness.480124/
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3757 on: December 21, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »

These things don't exist in a vacuum by themselves. Business and politics are hand in hand.

There is a parallel in sexism throughout different races, where men come up on top.  No one is "being silenced"  black men, white men, latino men, they're being complacent. They are standing still .

There is a vast shift happening with women who realize that, "oh we don't need these assholes" to move upward.
There is no black patriarchy in this country. Black men have never benefited from it, and historically their maleness has been questioned or denied by white supremacy from the minute we landed in this continent.

We gotta stop lumping black men in other groups, I'm talking about a very specific series of issues. Black men are being other-ized and stigmatized by black activists who sound more like white racists than actual white racists. That's a problem and it's stirring division. Nor do I agree the business and political/activist issues are tied together. The issues black men have with employment have nothing to do with black women or feminism, and everything to do with a lack of opportunity. And a lack of ambition/hard work in some cases, to be fair. We need to do better.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3758 on: December 21, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »

There is no black patriarchy in this country. Black men have never benefited from it, and historically their maleness has been questioned or denied by white supremacy from the minute we landed in this continent.

We gotta stop lumping black men in other groups, I'm talking about a very specific series of issues. Black men are being other-ized and stigmatized by black activists who sound more like white racists than actual white racists. That's a problem and it's stirring division. Nor do I agree the business and political/activist issues are tied together. The issues black men have with employment have nothing to do with black women or feminism, and everything to do with a lack of opportunity. And a lack of ambition/hard work in some cases, to be fair. We need to do better.

I did not say there was a black patriarchy, I said in parallel, men dominate in their cultures.

Nor do I agree the business and political/activist issues are tied together.

Why not?

Himu

« Reply #3759 on: December 21, 2022, 11:32:20 AM »

I did not say there was a black patriarchy

Quote from: You
POC males basking in the side effect of patriarchy

In what way are black men dominating our culture?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3760 on: December 21, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »

Why not?

There isn't much of that type of politics in the business world, as it relates to race at least. Black women are graduating at a higher rate, and entering professional spaces at a higher rate. I don't see that advancement as political, at least not in the sense that we're talking about. It's moreso about opportunity as I mentioned earlier, plus black men not taking opportunities that they do have. We aren't being replaced or ignored...we've simply got to do a better job about completing school, mentoring, etc.

My view of the community and activist situation is the exact opposite. There is no education or financial barrier for entry, so it's a more even ground. Yet we are seeing the dominant black activist views right now focus on intersectionality and ignoring black men. If black men are "privileged" and the white men of the community, their needs can be ignored. After all, the black woman is more oppressed and needs more help so that's where the resources should go right. This is what I'm talking about. This is why black male mental health can be ignored or laughed about. Why no one cares about black male homelessness. Incarceration. The list goes on and on. When you silence the entire group by writing them off as patriarchal predators - or people who "dominate culture," whatever that means - it's easier to actively work against them. That's what is happening now and why I'm upset.

Himu

« Reply #3761 on: December 21, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
PD, no lie. Getting a mentor was one of the best things I've ever had. I've never seen anyone believe in me and my skills so much before. It was a revelation.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3762 on: December 21, 2022, 12:00:44 PM »
PD consider that thread i got banned at Reset for and how it relates to our current discussion:

I don't agree with much of this but will say...a lot of black art in film/tv seems to be going the way you describe and I have a theory for you. I feel like a lot of shit we've seen over the last few years is influenced by Get Out and Moonlight - two films I enjoyed. But the impression I get is that studios have wanted their own version of those films, and a lot of the projects greenlit since then have focused on trivializing the things that made those films so good. Specifically the commercialization of black trauma. When I look at shit like Lovecraft Country, Them, and nearly everything Lena Waithe does there's this very weird attempt to view racism and trauma through a horror lens that just feels...ugly.

Right wingers call it woke but it's more like exploitation. You take black trauma and white supremacy, turn them into motifs and then ape the cinematography from Moonlight (specifically the way darker black characters were lit in that film, the color contrasts etc) and boom...you've got most black shit over the last half decade. Half assed black hacks, and white studio execs and critics who are too scared to say "this sucks."

Himu

« Reply #3763 on: December 21, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »

I don't agree with much of this but will say...a lot of black art in film/tv seems to be going the way you describe and I have a theory for you. I feel like a lot of shit we've seen over the last few years is influenced by Get Out and Moonlight - two films I enjoyed. But the impression I get is that studios have wanted their own version of those films, and a lot of the projects greenlit since then have focused on trivializing the things that made those films so good. Specifically the commercialization of black trauma. When I look at shit like Lovecraft Country, Them, and nearly everything Lena Waithe does there's this very weird attempt to view racism and trauma through a horror lens that just feels...ugly.

Right wingers call it woke but it's more like exploitation. You take black trauma and white supremacy, turn them into motifs and then ape the cinematography from Moonlight (specifically the way darker black characters were lit in that film, the color contrasts etc) and boom...you've got most black shit over the last half decade. Half assed black hacks, and white studio execs and critics who are too scared to say "this sucks."

It's so weird how black trauma is such a thing to monetize now. Black art in tv/film used to be inherently aspirational at the minimum (Cosby which has become tainted, Fresh Prince to a degree, A Different World), or every day at the maximum (Martin, Living Single, Boondocks, Bebe's Kids, Proud Family). Things like Boyz In Da Hood weren't the every day thing and that's what made it special. Now so much of it hinges on strapping itself to the same activism we are talking about and are repulsed by.

They're filtering it through horror because horror is easy and cheap and they want the next Get Out.

Colleague in NY posted this to the gram the other week.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:13:11 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3764 on: December 21, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »

Why not?

There isn't much of that type of politics in the business world, as it relates to race at least. Black women are graduating at a higher rate, and entering professional spaces at a higher rate. I don't see that advancement as political, at least not in the sense that we're talking about. It's moreso about opportunity as I mentioned earlier, plus black men not taking opportunities that they do have. We aren't being replaced or ignored...we've simply got to do a better job about completing school, mentoring, etc.

My view of the community and activist situation is the exact opposite. There is no education or financial barrier for entry, so it's a more even ground. Yet we are seeing the dominant black activist views right now focus on intersectionality and ignoring black men. If black men are "privileged" and the white men of the community, their needs can be ignored. After all, the black woman is more oppressed and needs more help so that's where the resources should go right. This is what I'm talking about. This is why black male mental health can be ignored or laughed about. Why no one cares about black male homelessness. Incarceration. The list goes on and on. When you silence the entire group by writing them off as patriarchal predators - or people who "dominate culture," whatever that means - it's easier to actively work against them. That's what is happening now and why I'm upset.

You don't see the advancement of women who are POC getting into the professional space as advancement? Who do you think makes the rules?

Black males are not predators.

People are victims of their upbringings.

Black women have taken it upon themselves to move past that. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3765 on: December 21, 2022, 12:15:29 PM »

It's so weird how black trauma is such a thing to monetize now. Black art used to be inherently aspirational at the minimum (Cosby which has become tainted, Fresh Prince to a degree, A Different World), or every day at the maximum (Martin, Living Single, Boondocks, Bebe's Kids, Proud Family). Now so much of it hinges on strapping itself to the same activism we are talking about and are repulsed by.

All this started happening at the exact same time too. Lovecraft Country, Them, and everything Lena Waithe does. That was like 2020, 2021, etc.

I haven't seen the show but there's a scene in this where a pregnant woman is raped while giving birth, and the baby is removed from her and smashed to pieces. This obsession with presenting disgusting, traumatic images of black pain is obscene.

I'm not opposed to depictions or discussions of black trauma, mind you. I'm talking about when it is used as nothing more than a horror gag. You can tell these showrunners are selling this shit as treating black trauma like a Game Of Thrones twist or something.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3766 on: December 21, 2022, 12:19:45 PM »

Why not?

You don't see the advancement of women who are POC getting into the professional space as advancement? Who do you think makes the rules?

Black males are not predators.

People are victims of their upbringings.

Black women have taken it upon themselves to move past that.
I'm not sure what we're arguing at this point, I don't think we're talking about the same things. Of course black women advancing is good, and advancement in general. That's not political to me. I work at one of the largest financial firms in the country, I've hired more black women than black men. Largely because more are qualified/available. That's not because black women have "moved past" victimization. Certainly not in a world where many cast themselves as the premier victim in this country. Nor do I think the solution for black men is simply moving past that shit either. Part of it is behavioral sure. But a lot is about opportunity, and a system designed to ruin black men more than black women (incarceration).

Himu

« Reply #3767 on: December 21, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »

It's so weird how black trauma is such a thing to monetize now. Black art used to be inherently aspirational at the minimum (Cosby which has become tainted, Fresh Prince to a degree, A Different World), or every day at the maximum (Martin, Living Single, Boondocks, Bebe's Kids, Proud Family). Now so much of it hinges on strapping itself to the same activism we are talking about and are repulsed by.

All this started happening at the exact same time too. Lovecraft Country, Them, and everything Lena Waithe does. That was like 2020, 2021, etc.

I haven't seen the show but there's a scene in this where a pregnant woman is raped while giving birth, and the baby is removed from her and smashed to pieces. This obsession with presenting disgusting, traumatic images of black pain is obscene.

I'm not opposed to depictions or discussions of black trauma, mind you. I'm talking about when it is used as nothing more than a horror gag. You can tell these showrunners are selling this shit as treating black trauma like a Game Of Thrones twist or something.

What are your thoughts on Atlanta and Insecure? I feel like they skirt a lot of this modern day activism for the most part.

The worst part is, as a black person you often just want to get away from black politics when you consume media and now when you consume you're reminded of whatever hardships there are of being black. It's not a good feeling to have. I question the motive of these shows and movies. They're pretty disgusting to me.
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3768 on: December 21, 2022, 12:22:31 PM »
I haven't seen the show but there's a scene in this where a pregnant woman is raped while giving birth, and the baby is removed from her and smashed to pieces.

:whoo :jeanluc
Margs

Himu

« Reply #3769 on: December 21, 2022, 12:28:19 PM »
PD, Kid Cudi did something on Netflix that's animated and I'm so proud of him. It's so...normal. And yet doesn't feature blackness as a central part of the storyline.

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3770 on: December 21, 2022, 12:34:43 PM »
I haven't seen Atlantic or Insecure but have heard good things about both. I want to start Atlanta soon, when I get the time. From what I've heard both shows do a great job of portraying black people as...well, people. Not caricatures or agenda pieces.

Himu

« Reply #3771 on: December 21, 2022, 12:36:32 PM »
Yeah man, watch both. Let's rap when you do. Good talk. Peace and have a good holiday.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3772 on: December 21, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1605376162460729344
Is "RIGG" a reference to something in particular? These things are always so hard to decode.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3773 on: December 21, 2022, 01:33:30 PM »
They tried to "schlong" the ballots :trumps
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3774 on: December 21, 2022, 01:44:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/JDCocchiarella/status/1605347966054711300

lol far left twitter trying to push for scotus judge tax returns but only on the republicans of course

Notice he's an activist. lol Everyone's an activist. And from New York! :whoo I'm so shocked.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3775 on: December 21, 2022, 01:51:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/JDCocchiarella/status/1540726209058856963

Ah, so he's that kind of left wing. I'm so shocked! I only talk to people that think like me!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 02:21:02 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3776 on: December 21, 2022, 01:58:46 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #3777 on: December 21, 2022, 02:03:14 PM »
lol far left twitter trying to push for scotus judge tax returns but only on the republicans of course
Do they think the Justices are getting secretly paid (to support positions they've long held, especially Thomas who has been on the Court for 30 years) and just going to list it on their tax returns? And this will lead to Republicans voting to impeach them to allow Biden to appoint Democratic Justices?

https://twitter.com/JDCocchiarella/status/1540726209058856963
I don't understand how someone can actually think this is some kind of debate win, all it does is shift the debate to what is or is not a human right. I know from experience that these people consider all kinds of human rights, like free speech or ownership over your own labor, to not actually be human rights.

Himu

« Reply #3778 on: December 21, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
Is it a human right to own a firearm? Our Bill of Rights says it is. Which human rights does he respect? Which does he belittle? Oh, excuse me buttercup, we can't be friends because I don't prioritize the human rights you care about. Funny how that works. And there's your brain on leftism, if you have any noodles left after the fact.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3779 on: December 21, 2022, 02:25:57 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-inches-toward-war-iran-makes-israel-full-military-partner-1768600
Preparing for any potential war against Iran, the Biden administration has formally elevated Israel in military planning. Israel's changed status comes as the U.S. military refocuses from the 'war on terror' to potential combat with the big four—China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

As Israel has become a full-fledged military partner, the U.S. intelligence community is also putting more emphasis on its Hebrew language program to spy on its number-one Mideast ally.

World War 3  :nope

Potential combat with the big 4 :ohyeah
🤴