Author Topic: Elon Bought Twitter- X GON GIVE IT TO YA  (Read 77119 times)

Occam

Elon Bought Twitter- X GON GIVE IT TO YA
« on: April 25, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »
Thankfully there is an open source alternative: Mastodon
Global social networks should not be owned by individuals, corporations or governments.

Mastodon just got an Android version 5 days ago:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.joinmastodon.android&gl=US

For those of us who don't use Google accounts, download Aurora Store using F-Droid and then open the link above with Aurora Store.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:27:37 AM by bork »

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Muskrat to Buy Twitter. Time to Abandon it.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »
Can't abandon it if you've never bothered to engage with it.
Spud

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 04:50:25 PM »
It took me 7 years to crawl my way up to 207 followers I'm not leaving the like mine any time soon
:O

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 04:53:05 PM »
Global social networks should not be owned by individuals, corporations or governments.
So who are you imagining owning them?

Occam

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 04:58:03 PM »
Ideally, nobody.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 05:05:01 PM »
Can't abandon it if you've never bothered to engage with it.

:hesright

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 05:09:44 PM »

:crowdlaff :girlaff
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
Some more info regarding Mastodon:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/mastodon-the-open-source-alternative-to-twitter-now-has-an-official-android-app-8383101.html

It's still rather small compared to Twitter (4.4 million users versus Twitter's 217 million), but I assume Twitters new ownership may cause a few people to give it a try.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:13:44 PM »
Some more info regarding Mastodon:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/mastodon-the-open-source-alternative-to-twitter-now-has-an-official-android-app-8383101.html

It's still rather small compared to Twitter (4.4 million users versus Twitter's 217 million), but I assume Twitters new ownership may cause a few people to give it a try.

I can see a few trying it and then going right back to Twitter.  It's not going anywhere.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
Discord is trending right now (at least on my feed) as the suggested alternative to Twitter.

LOL- that's not going to work at all for most folks.
ど助平

Kurt Russell

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 05:21:55 PM »
Is there something a bit like Mastodon but not for neckbeards?
woke

Occam

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »

:crowdlaff :girlaff

Signal (messenger) started out small, too. When I started using it about 5 years ago, I was the only one among my contacts who had it, now about half do (including virtually all of my friends and family). Last year, Signal reached 40 million monthly active users.

james

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 05:35:31 PM »
Discord is trending right now

The fucking lengths shosta will go to holy shit

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 05:43:25 PM »
Abandon centralised social media platforms.

It's time to go back to message boards.

Imagine letting billionaires/China/"the algorithm" police what you can and can't post.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »
It's been long past time. I bailed two years ago when the writing on the wall couldn't get anymore obvious.

Occam

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 06:01:37 PM »
Abandon centralised social media platforms.

It's time to go back to message boards.

Imagine letting billionaires/China/"the algorithm" police what you can and can't post.

Mastodon is decentralized. It seems to be the largest open source alternative to twitter at present.
If there are better alternatives, I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »
woke

Occam

Occam

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
Interesting, Vice reports Mastodon's website went down today because of the increased interest. They are also recommending it as "The most obvious Twitter replacement".
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjbqjd/if-you-want-to-leave-twitter-because-of-elon-musk-these-are-your-options

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 06:34:04 PM »
This reaction from the blue tick twatteratti and their sycophants is fucking hilarious. The place is a cesspool BECAUSE of the blue tick wankers. Grow the fuck up you manchildren.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 06:45:01 PM »
I've come to the conclusion social media is a net loss for humanity and we're better off without it.  :donot :whatisthis

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »
Mastodon is actually good in concept in terms of protecting free speech because it's decentralized

when Gab went to Mastodon there was nothing anyone could do to stop them, other than some of the bigger nodes blocking them to try to cordon them off, because anyone can spin up their own server and join the fediverse

it's social media where you can only get banned from your chosen entry node and its particular moderators

if it started seeing more broad adoption you would see all kinds of smaller narrow interest nodes of varying purposes and beliefs, there'd be the Marvel fan instance and the Star Wars fan instance and the Joe Rogan fan instance, not unlike subreddits, but without admins over all

:rejoice
Uncle

Occam

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 07:16:00 PM »
I knew fucking disney was involved somehow
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 08:09:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1518681666633486341

While I don’t disagree with that... is she aware that Twitter was already at service of plutocrats? Is just that Musk is an outright twitter addict and shit poster rather than indifferent of his product.

Occam

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 10:12:46 PM »
Mastodon is actually good in concept in terms of protecting free speech because it's decentralized

when Gab went to Mastodon there was nothing anyone could do to stop them, other than some of the bigger nodes blocking them to try to cordon them off, because anyone can spin up their own server and join the fediverse

it's social media where you can only get banned from your chosen entry node and its particular moderators

if it started seeing more broad adoption you would see all kinds of smaller narrow interest nodes of varying purposes and beliefs, there'd be the Marvel fan instance and the Star Wars fan instance and the Joe Rogan fan instance, not unlike subreddits, but without admins over all

:rejoice
I've been reading this is bad because it doesn't allow Mutual Aid Requests and things like #TransCrowFund to trend meaning that marginalized people will not even be able to live now that Musk has destroyed Twitter.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 10:37:34 PM »
meme man bought the asylum

I've come to the conclusion social media is a net loss for humanity and we're better off without it.  :donot :whatisthis

probably

james

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »
Mar 2022 Summary
Tweets
Tweet impressions

Profile visits
Mentions
New followers

:snob

Occam

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 12:26:49 AM »
There is no benefit in allowing destructive lies to be repeated on a large stage over and over again. This just allows them to infect more minds which in turn paves the way for a fascist takeover. And fascists invariably do away with your freedom of speech completely the first chance they get, because it's the only way they can retain control.
Democracy and uncontested lies can't coexist, as Trumpism should have made abundantly clear to anyone paying attention.
By pretending that lies are a valid opinion (the other side of reality and just as acceptable), the American media enabled Trump and everything that follows. Reality does not have two sides.
Twitter's banning Trump and for instance those who spread misinformation about vaccines (which results in actual deaths) was a belated step in the right direction that is seemingly about to be undone.

Musk now graduates from infantile trolling to actually being harmful to the free world, enabling (would be) autocrats everywhere. Musk is no genius, he has never invented anything in his life. He just repackages inventions of others and markets them. He is a savvy businessman.
Musk's lithium battery powered cars are a net negative for the environment. Furthermore, there is not enough lithium on the planet to replace all combustion powered personal transportation. The actual way to go are hydrogen fuel cells. Not realizing this makes Musk an idiot in his heart of hearts.
Musk basically is a stupid person's idea of a genius, much like Trump is a stupid person's idea of a rich man. Everything about him and his past is based on misrepresentation, from his fake hair to the origin of his money (his father's African emerald mines). And no, he didn't invent Paypal, either. When you think about it, it's really not surprising Musk is so fond of liars. And make no mistake, he couldn't care less about free speech. On Twitter, he regularly blocked critics. He just wants unfettered speech for himself.

benjipwns

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 12:50:53 AM »
There is no benefit in allowing destructive lies to be repeated on a large stage over and over again. This just allows them to infect more minds which in turn paves the way for a fascist takeover. And fascists invariably do away with your freedom of speech completely the first chance they get, because it's the only way they can retain control.
Democracy and uncontested lies can't coexist, as Trumpism should have made abundantly clear to anyone paying attention.
It's simple. We, uh, kill the Batman outlaw lies.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Occam

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2022, 05:40:56 AM »
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Isaac Asimov

benjipwns

Tasty

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2022, 07:29:00 AM »
Man there was a time I used to really respect Jack Dorsey. Those days are long gone.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2022, 08:08:17 AM »
Another invasion no one wanted to believe would happen.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2022, 08:09:11 AM »
What if Evilore's mercurial, petty management of GAF but global ?
ὕβρις

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2022, 08:59:29 AM »
people who have made it their business to have every Hot Take of the last decade intravenously fed to them now telling the rest of us that we need to get off an eternal garbage site that we do our very best to ignore is wonderful.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
I wish nintex was here to grace us with his take on this :fbm
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »
The entier bore userbase moved to mastadon, you did it occam

Occam

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2022, 02:33:53 PM »
Great success, world saved!

(I was one of those approx. 41,287. While I wasn't a Twitter user, I felt the need to cast my vote against Musk.)

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2022, 02:38:08 PM »
You don’t even use the platform and you’re trying to rally people to leave it?  :era

Occam

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2022, 02:51:08 PM »
Why would I? Twitter is a cesspool. That doesn't mean I don't see its importance as a global tool of communication that is used by most politicians/states/companies/organizations/institutions/scientists/celebrities and so on. It's practically impossible to avoid if you read the news.

james

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »
Half of forum content is basically posting tweets you can't escape it

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2022, 03:09:02 PM »

Not since Nintex left.  This place actually loads now without jumping place after a few seconds. 

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »
Why would I? Twitter is a cesspool. That doesn't mean I don't see its importance as a global tool of communication that is used by most politicians/states/companies/organizations/institutions/scientists/celebrities and so on. It's practically impossible to avoid if you read the news.

I just don’t understand your dog in this fight.  If you don’t have an account, I don’t either, Elon Musk buying Twitter should mean almost nothing to you.  Is it probably going to turn out to be a net negative, yea probably.  But just like Facebook trying to force people off the platform as an outsider is a waste of time.  Shouting into the void that is thebore.com and the entirely unaffiliated bore discord, I assume, just feels disingenuous at best and :ego at worst.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2022, 03:22:23 PM »

I only post text I steal from discords

Occam

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2022, 04:31:23 PM »
I just don’t understand your dog in this fight.

Too much right-wing authoritarianism/reality denial in this world as it is. No need to enable any more of it to further hasten the destruction of our habitat, curtail freedom and erode democracy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:37:35 PM by Occam »

benjipwns

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2022, 04:41:12 PM »
I just don’t understand your dog in this fight.

Too much right-wing authoritarianism/reality denial in this world as it is. No need to enable any more of it to further hasten the destruction of our habitat, curtail freedom and erode democracy.
Yeah, imagine if someone were to tweet any criticism of an invasion without Congressional approval of a sovereign nation in order to permanently occupy their natural resources. :existential

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »
Has anyone posted this thread in the shitbin thread? This seems like something that belongs there.
Spud

Occam

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2022, 05:29:02 PM »
The world is how you make it.

benjipwns

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2022, 05:55:36 PM »
Has anyone posted this thread in the shitbin thread? This seems like something that belongs there.
You sound like a butthurt freeze peach chud angry that everyone is leaving Muskrat's Folly.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
You sound like a butthurt freeze peach chud angry that everyone is leaving Muskrat's Folly.
My butt hurts, but it's probably the hemorrhoids.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2022, 06:42:27 PM »

this is at odds:

By pretending that lies are a valid opinion (the other side of reality and just as acceptable), the American media enabled Trump and everything that follows. Reality does not have two sides.

either the world is what it is and facts are unchanging regardless of what we want, or our desires are able to shape reality and change what is true
Uncle

Tuckers Law

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »
Musk haters might be upset now with his purchase of Twitter, but just you wait.  You'll all come back into the fold when Elon brings the MiiVerse back from the dead. 

Occam

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2022, 01:06:29 AM »

this is at odds:

either the world is what it is and facts are unchanging regardless of what we want, or our desires are able to shape reality and change what is true

Our world is what we make of it. While we cannot change the nature of reality, we obviously have the ability to change our world. We can either make it a great place and live in harmony with nature and each other, or we can allow poison to flow (literally and figuratively) and make the world (more) poisonous.

Which is what is about to happen to Twitter thanks to an obscene manchild who couldn't take criticism.

benjipwns

Occam

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:42:41 AM by Occam »

Mostima

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2022, 02:23:33 AM »
And probably at least half of that 42k are still on Twitter.