Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY SIXTEEN  (Read 8211 times)

Bebpo

Re: FINAL FANTASY SIXTEEN
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2023, 10:55:02 PM »
Alright, finished it with doing all the content.

Kinda shit game, peaks at Titan and then it's all downhill since the story sucks once they explain things. Some fun optional bosses in the S rank hunts, final part of the final boss is solid.

But basically story sucks, way too many cutscenes/wordy dialogue, cast is not as actively dislikeable as FFXIII's cast (outside Sazh) but they're the most boring set of rpg characters you can get. The best character in the game

spoiler (click to show/hide)
gets written out a quarter in. Seriously, it's fine to kill Aerith, no one's ever said Aerith was the best character in the game, but don't make the character you kill off early on be the best character in the game. That's just dumb even if it makes plot sense.
[close]

The worldlore is the stupidest shit ever with the bearers thing. Like how that got past the first draft is beyond me. It's like a slavery story written by 5 year olds. This game has a worse world story/plot than Tales games.

The amount of quests and cutscenes in the last chunk before the final dungeon is disgusting. I literally got angry with how long and boring ass some of these sidequests were at that point. It's like "I don't care", I just want it to be over so I can go do the final dungeon. They should have spread out the side character sidequests to be one character between each major story section to spread them out instead of dumping them all together at the end.

Combat is decent but shallow. It's fun enough for a shorter game, but doesn't really keep it fun for 50+ hours. Just too repetitive. Non-combat gameplay is jack and shit because there's absolutely fuck nothing to do in the game except run over the same few maps a million times with slow ass chocobos that can't even fly because that would actually make the game pacing a bit spiffier.

Probably with the sidequests the worst paced game in a while. Very reminiscent of A Realm Reborn and it's awful pacing.

Also pretty reminiscent of ARR in that ARR is plain and boring and it wasn't until the expansions that built off that, that we actually got something good. So maybe if they build off this they'll make a good game next time.

In the end I'm going to put FF13 over this and call this the worst game in the series. I'll take FF13's combat and music and color over this even if it's almost equally as boring and the story is almost equally as bad/nonsense and the cast in 13 is even worse.

Bebpo

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2023, 11:15:11 PM »
Also, my hot take is that Strangers in Paradise is a better action game FF than this.

Better combat
Better boss fights
Better story
Jack > Clive

Strangers should've had this game's budget and been the real FF16.

Bebpo

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2023, 11:47:47 PM »
Actually some of the side NPCs are good in FF16.

Gav/Mid/Byron are better than the main cast. They really did Jill dirty and Clive is a total player standin with no personality.

Bebpo

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2023, 01:17:41 AM »
So I'm reading the Reddit thread on FF16's plot and it seems most people think the plot is shit after Bahamut with Barnabas/Ultima and the game is full of plot holes and plot armor and the usual rushed mess of jrpg finale.

Basically it's FF15's last 1/3rd all over again.

Or FF12's.

Seems like with big budget stuff like FF, they figure a lot of players/critics never get past halfway, so they focus on the first half and then they rush to fill in the back half to get it out by release date and on budget, cutting stuff left and right and trying to retrofit plot writing to make it work, which results in these plots falling apart. Really annoying.

At least stuff like Xenoblade 3 have the decency of never having a good plot to begin with so it's not really falling apart (although I like the XB3 cast a lot and the character mini-stories in the world).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2023, 07:24:10 AM »
Yes Barnabas takes up too much screen time and he doesn't really accomplish anything besides looking powerful and sucking off Ultima who shapeshifts into Kopka because he needs that meaty bear dick
fat

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2023, 03:00:11 PM »
Not that bothered by Barnabas now I know he's basically the end of disc 3 boss, it not like a villain who talks vauge rubbish that has given himself over to the god or alien who also talks vaugue rubbish that you puny humans will never comprehend isn't a final fantasy thing anyway :trumps
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2023, 03:05:04 PM »
He basically needed better hair and a less candy ass name.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2023, 04:04:36 PM »
He basically needed better hair and a less candy ass name.

What. His hair's good. He looks hot, that's one of the reason why he sucks so bad. He's hot and brooding and has the power of darkness/Odin and yet he has zero personality.

He's also bullshit overpowered until he magically isn't.

And then there's the eikon Odin fight

Which is missing almost entirely
[close]

Just a total letdown character. Ash as a whole is a total letdown. Also the whole thing with the sea is kind of too physics defying for me even in a magical final fantasy game.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2023, 11:13:41 PM »
His hair is fine in an irlsense, just lacks the anime flourish even a more grounded ff charcter needs imo.
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2023, 02:14:43 AM »
Some of the Visuals during the odin arc were pretty amazing though.

Svejk

« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2023, 01:05:16 PM »

The highs are so incredible... Then the slogs are fucking almost unbearably bad.  I skip so much dialogue just to get to the next action set piece now.   Tired of looking the same too.  Sure, it's a cool get up I guess, but good grief..

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2023, 04:05:44 PM »
Finished it the other day, loved it for the most part but probably falls short of being a GOTY contender imo.
I also found the ending too brief and a bit of a let down. I did like the little nod to FF7 with the epilogue tho
[close]
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2023, 05:49:42 PM »
I still haven't watched the ending proper. Like I was so disappointed by the end, after the final boss died I just started doing other stuff and sorta watching it in the background. Just didn't care about the plot by that point and was only in it for the gameplay and music in the final boss fight.

I think I totally tuned out on the plot 100% after

they just kill off Joshua like that

Joshua >>>>>>>> Clive. Wish he was the lead.
[close]

One day when I'm bored I'll actually watch the ending.

Himu

« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »
Seems this game isn't doing well in sales. Good. Especially at a time when BG3 (a turn based rpg which apparently westerners hate) is at the top of steam. Lol get rekt sell outs.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
Finally did the Bahumut battle last night.. Just when I was borderline wanting to shelf the game from boredom, this game just piledrives the shit out of your face, locks your balls in a figure 4 till you say matte..
Wow.  :whoo

Tuckers Law

« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »
Finally did the Bahumut battle last night.. Just when I was borderline wanting to shelf the game from boredom, this game just piledrives the shit out of your face, locks your balls in a figure 4 till you say matte..

I was just about to come here and post that I did the bahamut fight this morning before work, and -Holy Shit- is it something else.  I've barely been able to think of anything else all day but getting back to the game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »

Honestly, I felt the game really falls off after the Bahamut battle.
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2023, 11:32:46 AM »
I finally beat it and man...not saying it's worse than 13 cause come on now, but really unevenly paced and collapses at the end.

I was actually kinda coming around to it right at the end with all of the sidequests, at first I was kind of ready to be done with it, but it won me back around by the end so I took my time and did everything but the trials. In general I liked the cast.

How did they really tease an airship then not do it. Just throwing everyone away and trying to be slightly ambiguous with the end was annoying.
[close]

I think I was expecting an epilogue or something, they were building on a bunch but after it was done you realize that last drop was kind of the end.

Overall 7ish/10 with a lot of good bits. That embarrassing beach scene up there with the 10 laugh scene as most embarrassing in the series.

Bebpo

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2023, 11:52:27 AM »
That embarrassing beach scene up there with the 10 laugh scene as most embarrassing in the series.

Haha, definitely. So awkward. Same thing with the stuff at Jill's island stage. The game stumbled whenever it tried to handle anything serious that didn't involve punching.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2023, 09:42:50 PM »
I just finished the Jill and Clive on the beach scene, and was fine with it.  I ship em  :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
I'll be back on this tonight.  Haven't played all week.  All my hype is in Dragon's Dogma, so this'll be a chore again...

So... are the end game side quests worth it at all?  (Besides the (+) marked side quests)  If they're the usual fodder they've been, I'll probably just b-line the main quests. Too much shit about to release I need to move on to.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2023, 10:07:07 AM »
Not sure how close I am to endgame, but I just did a regular/non- (+) sidequest that I thought had surprisingly good story moments (it involved that merchant Eloise and her brother Theo), as opposed to the usual boring MMO quest shit from most sidequests.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:11:52 AM by Tuckers Law »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2023, 11:31:29 AM »
Not sure how close I am to endgame, but I just did a regular/non- (+) sidequest that I thought had surprisingly good story moments (it involved that merchant Eloise and her brother Theo), as opposed to the usual boring MMO quest shit from most sidequests.

I think you're approaching the end of the game, the ones where you get the 'signposts' from the different primary NPCs (and usually come in 2 parts) are the endgame quests.

What was the last main quest objective you've done?
^_^

Tuckers Law

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2023, 05:10:56 PM »
Definitely approaching endgame then, been getting signposts out the wazoo for my serial killer trophies wall.

I think my last MSQ objective was still
returning from Clive and Jill clapping cheeks on the beach of Ash
[close]
.  I generally try and do all the sidequests and hunts as they become available before continuing the story.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2023, 10:50:33 PM »
Finished the sidequests and hunts, only have the last main story quest remaining.  These endgame sidequests are so much better overall than a lot of the others, I think it would've done the game a lot of good to cull maybe half of all sidequests that are basic-bitch stuff like item fetches, and just increase the rewards for the rest.

Bebpo

« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2023, 10:55:34 PM »
Finished the sidequests and hunts, only have the last main story quest remaining.  These endgame sidequests are so much better overall than a lot of the others, I think it would've done the game a lot of good to cull maybe half of all sidequests that are basic-bitch stuff like item fetches, and just increase the rewards for the rest.

They're good but they are paced horribly packing them all in the end. I hated most of them because I just wanted to go do the final dungeon and not spend a dozen hours listening to people talk.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2023, 11:21:44 PM »
That's fair criticism, some of the stuff gets awfully wordy and those bits are an aspect of FF14-style story writing that I wish had not carried over.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2023, 10:50:53 AM »
Finished the game, overall really enjoyed my time with it.  One of the biggest things I've come away from it thinking: all the VO work, from scripted dialogue writing to direction and acting, did quite a lot to elevate the game to where it's at.  If SE management is smart (that's a coin flip, really), they would make sure all those people involved are their first choice for any new VO heavy game they want to do in the future.

Other takeaway's:
I wouldn't say no to some Leviathan-centric DLC, as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome.  A good 10-hour experience maximum, IMO.
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2023, 09:48:19 AM »
I need to hurry up and finish this thing.  :doge  Finished a Dragon's Dogma run, so that relieved me some to focus back on this some more.

Svejk

« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2023, 09:35:58 PM »
New character skins dlc available today for free..  This works perfectly for me because Im striding towards the end and the new looks will feel appropriate for the end game.
Just got past..
getting the Shiva ikon
[close]

Paid dlcs and PC news coming by the end of the year.

Svejk

« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2023, 02:04:36 PM »
Defeated Barnabus and should be in end game.  Skipping all the side quests and need to finish this game... Got Starfield on the brain nonstop and yearning to play some more..

Svejk

« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2023, 01:36:06 PM »
Finally finsihed this last night.

As a character action game, 8.5-9-ish...

As a traditional FF game, 7...  and that's being generous. 

The grahics and drama were there, full-on... But the mechanics and choices/options were practically non-existent.

Bebpo

« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2023, 01:41:06 PM »
Sounds about right. Congrats on the clear!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2023, 05:38:38 PM »
The farther away in time that I get from having finished this, the more fondly I start thinking on it, and the more I think it might be my personal game of the year (so far), even compared against TOTK.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2023, 07:02:07 PM »
I'm the opposite, further away I get the less I care. Probably cos it ends with the typical 'mwuhahah you puny humans could never comprehend my wicked scheme' shite most final fantasy ultimate villains end up saying.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2023, 07:29:26 PM »
The farther away in time that I get from having finished this, the more fondly I start thinking on it, and the more I think it might be my personal game of the year (so far), even compared against TOTK.

I hate the game at this point and it's killed my love of my favorite IP, but glad at least some people enjoyed what it did.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2023, 02:17:07 AM »
Admittedly, I am a longtime FF14 fan, so it would make sense for 16 and it's storytelling to be in my wheelhouse.  The ridiculously good music and excellent voice acting probably helped, too.

EDIT: Also, there are several games from this year that I know I'll love but have put on the backburner for various reasons, such as Pikmin 4, so it could be I just haven't played all that many great games from this year.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:23:36 AM by Tuckers Law »

Svejk

« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2023, 09:24:17 PM »
I was telling my kids the other day, if I could take it back and not fall for the hype, I would've passed on it.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either... I would've rather put my $70 into something else and waited for a sale. 

It had such a strong ass start; Barked all four wheels at the green light, but then coasted in 3rd gear most the time, with only a few drops into 5th, only to fall back to 3rd.  Feels like it wanted to be more, but not with another 3-4 years of development could they have achieved it.  Glad it was polished for what it was though.

Himu

« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2023, 11:42:03 PM »
Glad I skipped it. Fuck this game, you sellout cunts.

I hope and pray FFXVII is a command based/turn based FF on Switch 2 or something. Hire a competent writer. Give it its own vision. Make it Final Fantasy.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2023, 07:16:19 AM »
It doesn't suck in the slightest, just goes from GOTY shoo in at the start to tailing off big time into convoluted gibberish like a lot of the games in the series. 8/10.
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2023, 08:36:27 AM »
The game was fine.

Svejk

« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2023, 09:46:17 AM »
It felt $40-$50 fine to me... Not $70. 
(Kinda like TOTK feels like $40 dlc... Definitely not $70.)

FFXVI would have such stunning locales and battles... only to fall into ultra boring/non-interactive and empty maps and conversations.  You get the illusion of little secrets around every corner, but it's really empty.  It was clearly made for people that just want to charge forward and fight...  I completely skipped the last 30-40% of the side quests.  Cared nothing for the people.

Again, it's a great character action game, but not a great FF by any means of a traditional sense.   Definitely not my GOTY. 

But it's all good.. Rebirth is only 4 months away.  FF is not lost yet.