Author Topic: GAF DISCUSSIONS GO IN HERE - PART DEUX (Keep it Civil, Fuckers!)  (Read 466510 times)

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
Re: GAF DISCUSSIONS GO IN HERE - PART DEUX (Keep it Civil, Fuckers!)
« Reply #300 on: September 26, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »
EAT IT MOHTERFUCKER! 3 MONTHS BAN FOR OPENING THY MOUTH!!! :punch
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #301 on: September 26, 2006, 07:58:52 PM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS
PSP

Himu

« Reply #302 on: September 26, 2006, 07:59:09 PM »
It was originally one day but then some admin made 3 months.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I bet it was BuddyC lol
[close]
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »
Wow. I doubt Amirox would do that. He's a nice guy. BuddyC is nice too. EvilLore maybe? He probably thought it was going to evolve into some EvilBore references and shit.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »
MUST'VE BEEN THAT FAGGIT ASS SPORSK FUCKER. >:(

;)
BKO

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »
It was whiteman ;p.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2006, 08:31:18 PM »
I know some are reading this now so I'm fucked but I don't care. I post a review, put down my honest opinion, and all I get is shit and get called a bitch because I don't feel like refuting Amirox's hyperbole infused drivel, which I did plenty of times in the thread prior.

The gaming side of gaf is a shit hole atm. Hopefully it gets better..because I really like the forum.

Don't be worried, GAfers aren't targeted for whatever they say on other forums. You're welcome to vent as freely as you'd like.

Unfortunately, it looks like you're thrown quite a bit of personal attacks around, and even criticized the moderation. However it's obvious that all the Okami fans tried to get you worked up. That's GAF's group-think spirit for you, it happened thousands of times before. Refrain from heaviliy contrasting opinions in the future, they're unable to handle them.

Himu

« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »
Don't be worried, GAfers aren't targeted for whatever they say on other forums. You're welcome to vent as freely as you'd like.

That's not what I've heard and seen.
IYKYK

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2006, 09:39:08 PM »

What did you "hear" and "see"? Can you name specifics?

I recall one or two instances of Mike Works banning someone (Incognito?), but he got partly deadminned for it.

Quite simply, they don't want to be governed or influenced by anything or anyone that isn't on GAF at their reach. Do you realize how many OAers have for years said incredibly sadist personal attacks in the past againt the moderation and specific admins who banned or ridiculed them, and never got any of their temporary bannings affected in any way?

You're afraid for nothing. They don't give a damn what you say elsewhere. Speak your mind out.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »
I made a personal attack on you Himuro, and I didn't get banned!
duc

Himu

« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
That's because you're on the mods/admins nuts, Drinky. You've always been a special case so please don't bring yourself up.

What did you "hear" and "see"? Can you name specifics?

I recall one or two instances of Mike Works banning someone (Incognito?), but he got partly deadminned for it.

Quite simply, they don't want to be governed or influenced by anything or anyone that isn't on GAF at their reach. Do you realize how many OAers have for years said incredibly sadist personal attacks in the past againt the moderation and specific admins who banned or ridiculed them, and never got any of their temporary bannings affected in any way?

You're afraid for nothing. They don't give a damn what you say elsewhere. Speak your mind out.

Sporsk apparently banned my friend for something he said on OA. The simple fact that Shake was banned for spreading the word about Evilbore. Many gaffers use what you say on OA against you. It's a vicious cycle.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:47:30 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »
OH, A PLAY IN TWO ACTS.
PSP

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »
Sporsk apparently banned my friend for something he said on OA. The simple fact that Shake was banned for spreading the word about Evilbore. Many gaffers use what you say on OA against you. It's a vicious cycle.

Most of it is word of mouth. Shake was banned for something he did on GAF. And I think that at some point last year sp0rsk was mad because an OAer made an animated gif out of his japanese girlfriend and freaked him with it on IRC.

Don't if you're that afraid, but that's absurd, you really have nothing to be afraid of. I read 100x worse things on OA every day.

Himu

« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »
Why should I be afraid?

I was banned for 3 months for calling a mod, who everyone hates, a name. Oh, and I also called a troll, someone who practically everyone hates, a fucking idiot.

Banned for 3 months, trolled because I have a different opinion, and egged on (by a mod no less) because I didn't want to start any shit.

If there is any reason to continue posting at neogaf, after being such a faithful member for almost 2 years and be treated like that, then please tell me.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »
You also called Konex a fucking idiot. But I doubt that anyone disagrees with that.  :lol

3 months is ridiculous. I really doubt Amirox did that.
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #315 on: September 26, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »
It wasn't Amir0x what banned you, doofus.
duc

Himu

« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2006, 10:13:52 PM »
It says so on my ban message, doofus.

Unwarranted and exceptionally severe personal attacks towards Ami and others, and related recent behavior. Amirox STILL only gave you a single day ban for that shit, but I'm not so kind.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »
It says so on my ban message, doofus.

Unwarranted and exceptionally severe personal attacks towards Ami and others, and related recent behavior. Amirox STILL only gave you a single day ban for that shit, but I'm not so kind.

Damn who did it then? I'll ask White Man.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #318 on: September 26, 2006, 10:23:26 PM »
Amir0x gave you a ONE DAY BAN. Another mod commuted it to three months because he's sick of your lack of taste.

Really, that *is* what gets folks banned at GAF -- bad politics or lack of taste in games.
duc

Himu

« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2006, 10:25:53 PM »
Amir0x gave you a ONE DAY BAN. Another mod commuted it to three months because he's sick of your lack of taste.

Really, that *is* what gets folks banned at GAF -- bad politics or lack of taste in games.

::)
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »

And suprisingly Nintendo fans remain  :-\

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2006, 10:30:20 PM »
If there is any reason to continue posting at neogaf, after being such a faithful member for almost 2 years and be treated like that, then please tell me.

Eh, ungratefulness is the name of the game on GAF. You either always treat the moderation as if it were a dogma or you're out. It happened to hundreds of decidated GAF contributors like you in the past, everyone can get shafted at any second. Though, I think that the problem is mainly due to the constant flow of newbies eager to be accepted who simply side with the mods' opinions and thus derail threads.

Why not post on OA instead where you can say whatever you've ever dreamed to say with absolute impunity, heck, even call Amir0x an obnoxious taco 100 times a day if you feel like it?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:01 PM »
There's a number of Nintendo fanboys on the GAF mod team.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »
Or why not post on Evilbore, where you can say the same, but also interact with emotionally well-adjusted posters and "normals" with IQs above that of toothpaste?
duc

Christopher

« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »

Eh, ungratefulness is the name of the game on GAF. You either always treat the moderation as if it were a dogma or you're out. It happened to hundreds of decidated GAF contributors like you in the past, everyone can get shafted at any second. Though, I think that the problem is mainly due to the constant flow of newbies eager to be accepted who simply side with the mods' opinions and thus derail threads.

Why not post on OA instead where you can say whatever you've ever dreamed to say with absolute impunity, heck, even call Amir0x an obnoxious taco 100 times a day if you feel like it?

Yet if you call Hans a cigarillo your gone.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
Or why not post on Evilbore, where you can say the same, but also interact with emotionally well-adjusted posters and "normals" with IQs above that of toothpaste?

:lol

Drinky, I got to give it to you, the creative insult using toothpaste got to me, simply because of the pronounciation of the word.  I just came.
PSP

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:54 PM »

And suprisingly Nintendo fans remain  :-\
Shut up. You don't even have a fucking PS2.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #327 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »
I don't have a PS2, and I'm not a Nintendo® fanboy.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:44 PM »

IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »
I don't have a PS2, and I'm not a Nintendo® fanboy.
You just don't want to admit it. You preordered a Wii.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »
While I am enthusiastic about the new approach Nintendo® is taking with the videogame industry, with an affordable price model and unique, innovative gameplay that changes how we view consoles - I am withholding a purchase of a Nintendo® Wii at this time for personal matters.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2006, 10:48:32 PM »
I bought a Gamecube today.  :-\
duc

Christopher

« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
gay

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »

Yet if you call Hans a cigarillo your gone.

I can attest to this from personal experience. :spin

Himuro: Amir0x is a terrible poster, but he's not a bad moderator.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
serge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2006, 01:23:00 AM »
I got banned for trolling Okami [before] it was released.

Beat that, chump.
fat

etiolate

« Reply #336 on: September 27, 2006, 01:43:54 AM »
Go smoke some drugs crack head. I'm about to bring on the heat.

:lol What were you thinking when you typed that?

While I am enjoying Okami, I understand Himuro's issues with the game.  Also, the whole "wii is a gimmick/I love okami!" hypocrisy is classic gaf. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:46:10 AM by etiolate »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #337 on: September 27, 2006, 02:09:21 AM »
the whole "wii is a gimmick/I love okami!" hypocrisy is classic gaf. 

Not really.  It's one thing to have a game with a drawing gimmick, it's another to base an entire system around such a gimmick. 
serge

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2006, 02:12:23 AM »
the painting is as much a gimmick as mario jumping is a gimmick
o_0

Christopher

« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2006, 02:36:21 AM »

Not really.  It's one thing to have a game with a drawing gimmick, it's another to base an entire system around such a gimmick. 

Speak the truth.

etiolate

« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »

There is no way to love the okami brush strokes and yet denounce similiar gameplay in Wii/DS games with a controller more fitting for it and not be hypocritical.

And gimmick is what people call creative ideas that they didn't think up. It's actually become a common practice in the game world to do this, outside of consoles even. In PC online games I play, someone will come up with a clever build or trick, which everyone denunces as a gimmick.  That is until it becomes common practice because it works. It's just one of those modern phrases of bullshittery.  Like how professionalism and being proffesional means you're a liar in a suit.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2006, 03:37:02 AM »

Most of it is word of mouth. Shake was banned for something he did on GAF. And I think that at some point last year sp0rsk was mad because an OAer made an animated gif out of his japanese girlfriend and freaked him with it on IRC.

Don't if you're that afraid, but that's absurd, you really have nothing to be afraid of. I read 100x worse things on OA every day.
I got banned for simply laughing at it. 

And they did use what I said at OA against me.  I still have nothing against GAF though.  Amir0x is a fair moderator.  I love you Himuro, but you did cross the line.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:39:41 AM by Mupepe »

Christopher

« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2006, 04:07:16 AM »
I knew I hadn't seen that avaitar at GAF in awhile...are you perma banned?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2006, 04:22:06 AM »
Yep.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »

:'( :'( :'(

Quoted for truthiness.
BKO

Himu

« Reply #345 on: September 27, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
Yep.

Crossing the line = calling  member an idiot when all he does is try to start shit? He has yet to be banned too.

Go smoke some drugs crack head. I'm about to bring on the heat.

:lol What were you thinking when you typed that?

Amirox is an advocate for drugs. How would I know if he hadn't smoked crack or not?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:33:24 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #346 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:34 AM »
Stupidest fucking thread I've ever seen:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121447

Tool? :lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #347 on: September 27, 2006, 12:02:24 PM »

There is no way to love the okami brush strokes and yet denounce similiar gameplay in Wii/DS games with a controller more fitting for it and not be hypocritical.

And gimmick is what people call creative ideas that they didn't think up. It's actually become a common practice in the game world to do this, outside of consoles even. In PC online games I play, someone will come up with a clever build or trick, which everyone denunces as a gimmick.  That is until it becomes common practice because it works. It's just one of those modern phrases of bullshittery.  Like how professionalism and being proffesional means you're a liar in a suit.

In the recent EGM, the developers said they considered an Okami port to the Wii and DETERMINED IT WOULDN'T WORK -- that the experience would be inferior, in their estimation. That's because the gameplay in Okami in NO WAY revolves around the Celestial Brush -- the primary mechanics are Zelda-style exploration and platforming. The Celestial Brush *is* just a gimmick and comprises one ancillary mechanic. You could take away the brush and replace it with a Zelda-style tool system and while the game would lose something, it wouldn't ruin it by any measure. On top of that, will wiggling the Wii would be an improvement, the brush is already implemented well on the Dual Shock, rendering the upgrade for a tertiary play mechanic marginal. On the other hand, the nunchuck isn't exactly a great option for traditional controls if impressions from the last Nintendo event are to be believed -- and I'm sure Clover knows better than we do how suitable the Wii controls are for more traditional 3D gameplay models. In this case, they feel they aren't.

It's easy to like Okami and hate the DS/Wii because Okami is a very traditional work of game design at its core, and in no way relies in the "drawing" mechanic for its appeal beyond an amusing and well-integrated gimmick. The real fun is the sense of participation in its well-realized world: the exploration, puzzle-solving, combat, and interaction -- all of which could be accomplished without the Celestial Brush. Conversely, most DS/Wii-specific games make the scribble/waggle the CORE mechanic, which is really detestable to those of us who prefer more traditional, epic content.

A "gimmick" is what I call any shallow mechanism that gussies up a control action without justification for the added complexity. A "gimmick" is a controller action that could be handled in a more simple fashion, but instead relies on some gestural metaphor to create appeal. There's no fundamental difference between waggling a wand for a a sword strike and pressing the A button, nor is there any real reason to trace a circle with a complex controller motion instead of selecting a tool with a button and pressing it outside of the novelty of performing an unorthodox action. It adds a little charm, but other than that, it is a pure GIMMICK.

And I have no problem with these gimmicks as long as they play a purely tertiary role in game design. They're cute when done properly, as in Okami. But when you base entire games around them, well, then they SUCK.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:16:52 PM by Drinky Crow »
duc

MrAngryFace

o_0

Himu

« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
:hyper

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:09:18 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #350 on: September 27, 2006, 12:08:49 PM »
What do you guys consider a gimmick? Is something new a gimmick? How is the brush different from shooting a gun. The game wouldnt be what it is without it, much like mario wouldnt be a game without jumping. Since it is something essential I dont think calling it a gimmick is fair.

gim‧mick  /ˈgɪmɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gim-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. 
2. a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere. 
3. a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance. 
4. Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires. 
–verb (used with object) 5. to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, esp. in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often fol. by up): to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes. 
–verb (used without object) 6. to resort to gimmickry, esp. habitually. 

1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.   - I think the point of any aspect of a game is to introduce novel concepts and ideas. If anything this means every game is a gimmick.

2. a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.  -HRM, brush isnt concealed, or devious...

3. a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance. - Well the brush IS magic wooo! This one might be a winnar.

4. Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires. -- lol MAYBE! I bet you could spin this one Himu.

5. to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, esp. in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often fol. by up): to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes. -- As much as the game requires traditional mechanics, it wouldnt be the same game without the brush mechanics either. Its place in the game is 100% legit in the story, the games concept, it NEEDS to be there.

6. to resort to gimmickry, esp. habitually. -- Nah.

Personally I think the word gimmick gets tossed around way too much and is mostly employed by trolls looking for an easy dig with a word that can mean so many things to so many people.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:16:28 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Himu

« Reply #351 on: September 27, 2006, 12:11:22 PM »
The exploration, puzzles, and combat in Okami are mediocre at best.

HEY WHY DON'T I TELL YOU HOW TO BEAT THIS BOSS? :hyper

This combat is AWWWWWWESOME! I'm just rapidly presssing square and randomly slashing them with my brush! AWESOME! GOTY!

This is such a good puzzle. I JUST DREW A CIRCLE AROUND A TREE :hyper GOTY!

This game has such great exploration. I just found this place but I can't do anything there yet. Apparently the only reason it exists is because it's for the story so there was no reason for me to explore area in the first place. But who cares?! THIS IS AWESOME!!! :hyper

A gimmick is a concept that is new, yet not fully realized, and something that the media and fans hype as something amazing. The celestial brush is perfection. It's the application of the said brush puzzles that make it tedious, annoying, and just quite not very good. The Sunken Ship dungeon was the HIGHLIGHT of actually thinking, using the brush in a creative manner to solve puzzles, and make it feel natural.

Other than that it usually just feels...THERE.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:13:11 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #352 on: September 27, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »
Man, I really want to play this game now. Gameznflix needs to step up the process.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #353 on: September 27, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »
Himuro: Well I think your tactic of acting like a complete assmunch in all of your discussions is a worthless 'gimmick'.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:08 PM »
:hyper
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #355 on: September 27, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
Himuro, you just summed up every Zelda game ever made. Fortunately they're still AMAZINGLY FUN despite you hating them!
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #356 on: September 27, 2006, 12:23:53 PM »
Himuro:

Have you just now become one of the internets distinguished mentally-challenged fellows? Are you in some kind of mood? Are you so distressed over all of this hoopla over okami on GAF that your only response is posting emoticons in an effort to appear clever when in fact the only thing you can type are exaggerations with exclamations and caps? I've played that game, its old hat to me, and frankly not that impressive.

So far you've produced some of the most worthless discussions on Okami I have read. Just because youre backed by a small army of trolling distinguished mentally-challenged fellows on GAF doesnt make your point legitimate, and neither does the way you present it.

You can post whatever silly woo look at me im crazy emoticon you want, but I can tollerate worthless members for only so long before I begin driving them out.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »
The only reason you say my defense is bad is because you're gay for Okami.

Disagreeing = Trolling!
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #358 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Himuro's just pissy because Yakuza is grossly inferior AND he got spanked by AMIR0X of all people. :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper
duc

Himu

« Reply #359 on: September 27, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
This has nothing to do with Yakuza. If you looked at my Yakuza thread you would see a complete contrast to BOTH Okami threads. Me and other Yakuza lovers aren't as defensive as the Okami lovers. If someone made complaints we simply said our piece and that was it. No "you're trolling!" or "you're wrong! you have bad taste!"

It seems to me Okami fegs are quite emotionally attached to their new graphics whore of a game.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:31:52 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK