Author Topic: GAF DISCUSSIONS GO IN HERE - PART DEUX (Keep it Civil, Fuckers!)  (Read 466591 times)

Mondain

• no bias
Re: GAF DISCUSSIONS GO IN HERE - PART DEUX (Keep it Civil, Fuckers!)
« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2006, 12:29:11 PM »
so far I'm definitely favoring Yakuza over Okami

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »
It does now!

Also, I call bullshit: you were pissed because the Okami crowd busted up your Yakuza thread to talk about an actual GOOD game.
duc

Himu

« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Read my edit Drinky. People were constantly saying stuff like "Meh" "Yeah this is average" one of which was AmiSux. Did I go postal and start quoting and quoting and rally a defense force? NO. Because unlike the rest of GAF, I actually respect other people's opinions, unless they're DarknessTear. He's a cigarillo.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2006, 12:32:21 PM »
Himuro: I am just saying if you cant act at least as civil as the worst trolls on this forum I WILL show you the door.

Plenty of people dont like Okami here, the GROWN UPS agreed to disagree with me. You continue to assault me with dumbass emoticons and horrible responses full of complete exaggerated nonsense.

This is about THE QUALITY OF YOUR POSTS. YOU ARE CURRENTLY THE MOST WORTHLESS POSTER AT EVILBORE. Recognize the gravity of that statement, please.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2006, 12:33:06 PM »
Fine then. I'll be more matoor about it.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
Good for you.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »
OKAMI SUX LOLZ
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »
NO! YOUR POWER LEVEL IS HIGHER! I HAVE NO CHANCE!
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2006, 01:14:59 PM »
Willco, who is "T.O."?
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
Check the front page of MSN, dude.
PSP

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2006, 04:28:05 PM »
MY GIMMICKS ARE SO OLD :(
BKO

Vania

« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »
Amirox looks like he's part of Al Qaeda. :lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4438703&postcount=114

Dude, when mckmas8808 calls you out, you know you've overstepped your fanboy bounds.
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2006, 07:19:05 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4438703&postcount=114
Dude, when mckmas8808 calls you out, you know you've overstepped your fanboy bounds.
Wow, that's the rarest type of post a viral marketer makes.

Himu

« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »

How so? :D
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

Pics

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:57 PM »
Got banned from GAF :lol

One week. I didn't see the thread outlawwing the word "downgrade". Fair enough.

I WILL BE BACK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »

I WILL BE BACK
In a few hours, you'll be banned for 3 months.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »
*White Man reaches for the ban list and looks for PhoenixDark
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2006, 08:00:40 PM »

I WILL BE BACK

Where'd you hear that? :lol

I wouldn't be suprised

Himu

« Reply #380 on: September 27, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »

I WILL BE BACK

:lol :lol :hyper
IYKYK

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #381 on: September 27, 2006, 08:07:16 PM »

I WILL BE BACK

Where'd you hear that? :lol

I wouldn't be suprised

Ugh you got banned AGAIN?  wtf...?  Oh well tell everyone about the bore!  Himuro get Alan here.

Himu

« Reply #382 on: September 27, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »
Who's Alan?
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2006, 08:19:56 PM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:34 PM »
Who's Alan?
Vennt, I think.
Whatever happened to him anyway? Did he get sick of appearing every few months to ban multitudes of people?
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #386 on: September 27, 2006, 08:23:30 PM »
He has a wife and kid.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #387 on: September 27, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
He has a wife and kid.
That doesn't stop Drinky Crow from acting like a 12 year old on the internet.
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #388 on: September 27, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
That doesn't stop Drinky Crow from acting like a 12 year old on the internet.
He has a vendetta against Nintendo.  Probably a lot of trauma in childhood went into that...

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #389 on: September 27, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »
Deleted by user
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:37:34 PM by Malek: King of Kings »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #390 on: September 27, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
Trauma from playing Nintendo games.
LOLAMIRITE?
He didn't have a childhood with Nintendo.

Himu

« Reply #391 on: September 27, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »
He's here. He's Mupepe.
IYKYK

Vania

« Reply #392 on: September 27, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »

Allah Ackbar Derka Derka Muhammed Jihad

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #393 on: September 27, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »
This is about THE QUALITY OF YOUR POSTS. YOU ARE CURRENTLY THE MOST WORTHLESS POSTER AT EVILBORE. Recognize the gravity of that statement, please.
Considering I post here, that's speaking pretty low of Himuro.

etiolate

« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2006, 10:05:32 PM »
the whole "wii is a gimmick/I love okami!" hypocrisy is classic gaf. 

Not really.  It's one thing to have a game with a drawing gimmick, it's another to base an entire system around such a gimmick. 

There is no way to love the okami brush strokes and yet denounce similiar gameplay in Wii/DS games with a controller more fitting for it and not be hypocritical.

And gimmick is what people call creative ideas that they didn't think up. It's actually become a common practice in the game world to do this, outside of consoles even. In PC online games I play, someone will come up with a clever build or trick, which everyone denunces as a gimmick.  That is until it becomes common practice because it works. It's just one of those modern phrases of bullshittery.  Like how professionalism and being proffesional means you're a liar in a suit.

In the recent EGM, the developers said they considered an Okami port to the Wii and DETERMINED IT WOULDN'T WORK -- that the experience would be inferior, in their estimation. That's because the gameplay in Okami in NO WAY revolves around the Celestial Brush -- the primary mechanics are Zelda-style exploration and platforming. The Celestial Brush *is* just a gimmick and comprises one ancillary mechanic. You could take away the brush and replace it with a Zelda-style tool system and while the game would lose something, it wouldn't ruin it by any measure. On top of that, will wiggling the Wii would be an improvement, the brush is already implemented well on the Dual Shock, rendering the upgrade for a tertiary play mechanic marginal. On the other hand, the nunchuck isn't exactly a great option for traditional controls if impressions from the last Nintendo event are to be believed -- and I'm sure Clover knows better than we do how suitable the Wii controls are for more traditional 3D gameplay models. In this case, they feel they aren't.

It's easy to like Okami and hate the DS/Wii because Okami is a very traditional work of game design at its core, and in no way relies in the "drawing" mechanic for its appeal beyond an amusing and well-integrated gimmick. The real fun is the sense of participation in its well-realized world: the exploration, puzzle-solving, combat, and interaction -- all of which could be accomplished without the Celestial Brush. Conversely, most DS/Wii-specific games make the scribble/waggle the CORE mechanic, which is really detestable to those of us who prefer more traditional, epic content.

A "gimmick" is what I call any shallow mechanism that gussies up a control action without justification for the added complexity. A "gimmick" is a controller action that could be handled in a more simple fashion, but instead relies on some gestural metaphor to create appeal. There's no fundamental difference between waggling a wand for a a sword strike and pressing the A button, nor is there any real reason to trace a circle with a complex controller motion instead of selecting a tool with a button and pressing it outside of the novelty of performing an unorthodox action. It adds a little charm, but other than that, it is a pure GIMMICK.

And I have no problem with these gimmicks as long as they play a purely tertiary role in game design. They're cute when done properly, as in Okami. But when you base entire games around them, well, then they SUCK.

Well one major difference here is that I think the brush strokes in Okami add more to just a little to the game and are more important to the game than you imply.  I am using brush strokes more than I am jumping so far. The whole painting thing is one of the first things I liked about Okami. I also think that without the brush strokes the game might just be a Zelda clone with cool art.  The brush strokes tie the entire concept of the game together.

Also, wiimote controls wouldn't complicate brush strokes.  I think they would make it easier. It would take the three inputs currently for painting, and shorten it into two inputs. Also, you could have more precise control perhaps and be able to expand the brush stroke element and add more depth.

There is also a difference between swinging a sword with a wiimote and just pressing a button.  The obvious difference is feel, and that actually is a great difference.  Added feel is added immersion, added control and just a general different experience.  Would you say using an analog controller to aim in a monkeyball Shooting minigame is the same as aiming with a gun in House of Dead/Timie Crisis?  You're just moving a crosshair in either game essentially, but the entire feel and experience is different.  Also, judging by the small snippet of turning a lock in Metroid Prime 3, the things you can do with a wiimote are more than just waggling instead of button pushing. If the Wiimote can detect you twisting your hand and pushing in towards the screen like that... well thats a whole new ballgame of 3d control.

I also don't know how Okami would not work with the wiimote if Mario Galaxy works with the wiimote and nunchuk. 

So..

A "gimmick" is what I call any shallow mechanism that gussies up a control action without justification for the added complexity. A "gimmick" is a controller action that could be handled in a more simple fashion, but instead relies on some gestural metaphor to create appeal.

Fun is the justifcation for 'gimmicks'. Added feel and enjoyment are justification. There is no neccessary added complexity. A button push is binary, devs are outright stupid in handling this. They often keep adding buttons and button assignments so players can do more things instead of combining the more varied input of an analog stick with one button. So, now they have a Wiimote to represent real life 3d movement into game 3d movement. If the controller is precite enough, there would be a difference.  Sure you could accomplish a sword swing with one button.  That sword swing will always be the same.  On the wiimote, it will be different.  You want to make the button swingin more different? You add more buttons, but each is a canned procedure. One button is a regular swing that always swings at the same angle, one is a circular swing always at the same angle and same difference.  The wii mote can do a circular swing that could also have variations in angle and height. I don't know if devs will be doing this or not, but that is a huge difference. 

Gimmick --> Implementation--> Standard

Thats how it works.  You will call it a gimmick now, then people will implement it, then impliment it better, then it will become standard because it offers more in some way or form.

edit: clean up typos later, I got to find some nyquil
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:11:04 PM by etiolate »

Himu

« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2006, 10:48:05 PM »
I think Okami's brush is a gimmick because it doesn't apply it's mechanic in an interesting way. This is probably because of the lack of diversity in the way you draw objects - they're all either circles or lines. This makes the process of getting new brush techniques and even doing brush techniques tiresome, because they all mostly feel similar aside from a select few.

I think they could do something more fun than simply drawing circles around the trees to revive. I think they could have made something more fun than simply making a dot to make stars.

While this makes the game easy to pick up for anyone even if they aren't particularly good at drawing, it doesn't really feel rewarding.

I found most of my favorite moments playing with Okami's brush to be the cutscenes where you must apply the brush. While they were fun at first, and seemed to be rehashed from cutscenes prior later on in the game, it's still an excellent idea, and if they added more depth to the later cutscenes they'd be even more fun because I love it when I'm actually playing a apart in the cutscenes. Aside from that, I felt that the first dungeon where you fight the Spider Boss implemented the brush mechanic perfectly. You had some slight platforming so that you reach the flowers and it was fun. It was perfection. The ship dungeon was also amazing because you had to use the brush so creatively, it not only felt straight out of Zelda, it was more FUN than Zelda. But the dungeon ended RIGHT when it was getting good.

I'm not saying the brush was a gimmick because it didn't work. It worked perfectly. It's my problem with it's use. I feel they could have used it in more creative ways, and made less brush techniques less filler. The water and fire brushes are used how many times in the game? Once? Twice? They rarely ever show up for you to take advantage of them.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #396 on: September 27, 2006, 11:12:54 PM »
There is a lack of diversity in how you draw things, but I still like it.  Drawing a slash through an enemy is rewarding and godly feeling.  Like "yah fucker, I can hit you FROM BEYOND THE SCREEN"

MrAngryFace

« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2006, 01:01:08 AM »
I just dont see Okami being the same game without the celestial brush. I mean the story is based around the brush strokes, its there because it fits in every aspect of the game. Yet it SHARES dominion with a standardized control scheme, it isnt dominated by it.

And honestly, I think Okami's brush crap is being held up to these bizzare arbitrary standards of usage. I SHOULD HAVE TO USED IT THIS MANY TIMES.

Lets pretend the wolfs quest is real, lets pretend it really happened ok.

Do you think at the end of his successful quest he would reflect, disappointed that he couldnt use one divine brush stroke more than the other. Its a means to a goddamned end. I honestly think some of these "opinions" on Okami are so fucking focused on the brush shit.

I dont think its GOTY, I think its really good. I think a skip story option should have been included in every story scene. That is FAIR, what is not fair are these weird DISAPPOINTMENTS in what WILL NEVER BE.

Its like me being pissed off I dont have flying cars, and flying cars would work so great in my life. Flying planes are great but it would be so much better if I had a flying CAR so the flying PLANE sucks, because it isnt a FLYING FUCKING CAR.

Anyway...

I dont see the point in questioning THE DEVELOPERS OF THE GAME in the decision that the Wiimote is not suitable for the game. Unless you know what they know, took part in the testing and concept work for a wiimote version, YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. I dont have a fucking clue about this point either, however I believe the Developers do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:03:58 AM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #398 on: September 28, 2006, 01:26:21 AM »
I just don't generally believe developers when it comes to "putting x game on y console" because more often than not, its PR talk.  They would obviously know better than me, but history says.. devs will bullshit until they have a contract from the other company in their hands.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #399 on: September 28, 2006, 01:31:17 AM »
Have you been a dev? Do you talk to devs on a regular basis? At this point you could be telling me devs also cover up alien abductions and the PR people just tell them not to talk about it.
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2006, 01:50:59 AM »
I've read devs soundbites and interviews on similiar situations before, only to find them turn heel later on. I don't trust when they say "exclusive" or "only possible on this hardware" because half a year later, the game is on every console known to man.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2006, 05:54:54 AM »
I think Himuro is a gimmick.  And he's possibly my joke character.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Gameznflix shipped me Yakuza instead of Okami. Lol.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »
Etiolate: its fun to play the cynic, but there is an exception to every rule.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »

Hi baby.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #405 on: September 28, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »

Hi baby.
Wanna fuck?

Himu

« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2006, 07:58:44 PM »
With a pair of tits like that? Hell yeah.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2006, 01:30:32 AM »

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:34 AM »
:lol Damn I was gona post this, yeah OA totally busted him.

http://opa-ages.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72365
萌え~

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2006, 01:36:55 AM »
He had the pictures of her on his hard drive since January 2005.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #411 on: September 29, 2006, 01:40:41 AM »
Yeah that is pretty creepy, but hes helping to own this guy so I never questioned it for great justice.
萌え~

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2006, 01:41:45 AM »
Yeah that is pretty creepy, but hes helping to own this guy so I never questioned it for great justice.
No I mean they were that old.  Who knows why he had them?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2006, 01:47:59 AM »
Owned, lied in this thread and the GAF girlfriends thread, they were pics of this "model" for hire.
萌え~

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2006, 02:09:01 AM »
THE PLOT THICKENS. Anyway back to FFXI for me...
萌え~

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #415 on: September 29, 2006, 02:11:06 AM »
 :lol

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #416 on: September 29, 2006, 07:44:51 AM »
SOMEONE GIVE ME A RUNDOWN OF THIS "OWNAGE".... KTHXBYE
BKO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2006, 08:59:27 AM »
I'll tell you what I really hate.

Those fucking GAF avatars. Somebody slice that fuck's throat.
fat

truffleshuffle83

« Reply #418 on: September 29, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
modus is a cool dude demi quit being a dick. i mean he made meeble meeble ones cmon. im sure hed hook you up one with a nick frost one

Himu

IYKYK