Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS thread  (Read 98902 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Who the hell buys hardware at launch anymore?

I bet Prole and Dcharlie will get one at launch despite all their negative talk. 

Prole is a wealthy tycoon, why wouldn't he buy it at launch?
dog

Bebpo

Handhelds are historically pretty safe to buy on launch day, right? Right? I've never actually bought any console day one and I'm somehow reallllly tempted to snatch this up in spite of not being hyped at all by 3D anything

GBA SP
DS Lite

...sure!   :lol

/still probably will buy one day1 and then rebuy one a year later when 3DS SUPERIOR comes out

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
of course i will buy it at launch, and i am actually excited for it

a nintendo handheld with graphics that aren't total shit? 400x240 is a bit poopy, but i'll deal.
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Also, PSP2 might be pretty coo'
püp

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Early PSP screens also had lots of problems with stuck pixels.  Dunno about the DS though. 

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Animal Crossing 3D :drool

cool breeze

Handhelds are historically pretty safe to buy on launch day, right? Right? I've never actually bought any console day one and I'm somehow reallllly tempted to snatch this up in spite of not being hyped at all by 3D anything

Early PSPs had shitty square buttons (apparently a design defect, do not criticize an architect's beautiful archway or whatever shit Kutaragi said to defend it).  I remember that being an issue.

Did they ever fix that with the 1000? I thought it remained a problem until the 2000 was released, like with the d-pad.  I'm not exactly sure because I remember stories about an improved white PSP-1000 from Japan.

The nice thing about the original PSP was how premium it felt.  PSP-2000 felt cheap by comparison with the all plastic body and the umd drive you had to pull open.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Ah, that's true.  Dead pixels never went away and never really will, but the PSP did have an amusing stuck pixel problem in the early go.
I have one dead pixel near the top right corner of my PSPGo screen. Not a big deal since it's barely visible but still, dead pixels will never go.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I've got a dead pixel on my PSP screen, you can only notice it when the screen is black so it's no big deal

Bebpo

I had the same square button problem on my dual shock 3.  I blame it on all the goddamn musou games on Sony systems.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
The X button of my very first (non analogue) PS1 controller got soooooooo fucked from my hundreds of hours of Crash Bandicoot and Wipeout. By the end you couldnt even tell if you were pushing the button or not because it was so smushed in  :lol

Raban

• The baby...
Ah, that's true.  Dead pixels never went away and never really will, but the PSP did have an amusing stuck pixel problem in the early go.
I have one dead pixel near the top right corner of my PSPGo screen. Not a big deal since it's barely visible but still, dead pixels will never go.

unless you have an OLED screen like the PSuperiorP2 :smug
SRY

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
$40 games? REALLY?  Hopefully software sales lag and the publishers pulls their heads out of their asses.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
$40 games? REALLY?  Hopefully software sales lag and the publishers pulls their heads out of their asses.

PSP games were/are $40.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh wait.  :teehee
[close]
dog

EmCeeGrammar

Its just so fucking ridiculous at this point. Anyone can see where the trends are heading in this space. When I see first party 3ds games priced at 40 bucks it makes ME not want to invest in the platform, and I'm the biggest Nintendo apologist around.  The 3ds is a potentially interesting device which is setting itself up to fail and hand the market over fucking faux-input cell phone games.

I sincerely hope the publishers are simply seeing what they can get away with. I sincerely hope if blows up in their face and they adjust towards  more reasonable prices. 
sad

cool breeze

There were $40 games on the DS.  Difference is that the DS, and current PSP, price range is $30 to $40 falling on the lower end nowadays.  3DS is similar to the original PSP pricing range of $40 to $50.

It does seem expensive if you put next to iphone game pricing.  Sims 3 for the iphone is probably $5 compared to the $40 3DS version.  You can already directly compare game prices between the DS, PSP, and iphone with things like Ghost Trick and Chinatown Wars.  Apparently Ghost Trick is broken into parts for the iphone, and adding everything together it still amounts to over $10 less than the DS game price.

Chinatown Wars was $10 on the iphone (I think) compared to $40 on the PSP and $30-some on the DS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:04:39 PM by Linkzg »

EmCeeGrammar

Yeah, but I was stupid enough back then to spend that much on FFTA2.  I know better now
*Thinks about all the new games he has paid the full 50 for

uh, I should know better by now.
sad

maxy

• Sales Loser
Looks like there will be all sorts of small 3D devices this year

http://www.techeye.net/chips/tegra-2-3d-unveiled
cat

Oblivion

Do we have any official specs, btw?

maxy

• Sales Loser
Nothing officially

We know that it has some ARM CPU(rumored multicore) and PICA-200 GPU
Exact models and clocks are unknown
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:17:30 AM by maxy »
cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Do we have any official specs, btw?

This is what I'm interested most in, not from a purchase point of view but from a LOL NINTENDO YOU CHEAP FUCKS point of view.
itm

Corporal

I really hope the rumoured ARM 11 cores are just that, rumours. A Cortex A-series core is like 500 billion times more performant, or 500 billion times more energy efficient, if you want to look at it this way.

But it's Nintendo. They will use series 11 cores, I'm pretty sure they will. They're like a dime a dozen nowadays because nobody wants them anymore. :-\
!list

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/nintendo-confirms-3ds-content-locked-to-single-system-no-transfers.ars

The good news about buying a Nintendo 3DS is that you'll be able to transfer your digital purchases from your DS system to your 3DS using an SD card, and Nintendo will be giving us more details on how that will take place closer to launch. The bad news is that once you buy content on the 3DS itself, it will be locked down to that system. Wired.com spoke with Bill Trinen, Nintendo’s senior manager of product marketing, to get the details.

Wired.com: If I buy a piece of 3DSWare on my 3DS, is that restricted to that 3DS that I purchased it on?

Trinen: That would be similar [to] how Nintendo DSi works.

Wired.com So it would be restricted to one 3DS, and I can't move it? Even if I put the software on an SD card?

Trinen: Correct. Once you've bought it, it's for the system you bought it on.

While this isn't a major surprise, it is disappointing. If you want to upgrade into the inevitable Nintendo 3DS part 2 or mini or whatever the plans are, there doesn't seem to be a way to keep your games. If your system breaks? We'll see if Nintendo has a way to retrieve the games you purchased.

There is no other way to put this: this is bad for Nintendo, bad for third parties developing downloadable games for the platform, and bad for gamers.
乱学者

cool breeze

:miyamoto

I didn't buy anything on dsiware, or things after a point on wiiware, because of that.  I thought Nintendo would fix their online shit for the 3DS because it is 2011.  Oh well, maybe with their next console.

I'll play Shantae 2 one day  :'(
[close]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:42:08 PM by Linkzg »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
well let's be honest, what the fuck kind of games are worth buying on their store, c'mon
püp

cool breeze

on the 3ds store? probably only virtual console stuff.  on the dsiware there is shantae 2, cave story, and maybe xscape.  problem is that it won't really grow now.

don't worry, though.  Nintendo got this.  There has never been a successful app store or online game buying service before and that won't ever change.  And pedophiles, man.   

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
well let's be honest, what the fuck kind of games are worth buying on their store, c'mon

This has less to do with "lulz, they're store fucking sucks anyways" and more with "good jon Nintendo, you've certainly caught up on DD's modern standards."

Plus, this might have preemptively killed any interest I had for the Store, and I'm sure others will feel the same. That's the worst thing about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:54:35 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

EmCeeGrammar

Nintendo transfers download liscences for broken systems to working ones.  Of course that's all snail mail stuff.

edit:  there are a lot of good wiiware/dsiware games in the sea of crap, don't hate.
sad

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

it's a bit of a vicious cycle, though.

the store sucks so nobody makes games for it -> nobody makes games for it so the store sucks -> etc.

the iPhone exists. the iPhone exists and is cheaper than the 3DS! sorry Nintendo
乱学者

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Well, let's be fair: if you buy an iPhone 4 you'll end up paying more in the long run, plus, what sort of games in the realm of standard gaming are truly worth getting on iOS?  Some are fantastic, sure!  Infinity Blade, Angry Birds, etc etc, but you're not going to get a competent Resident Evil, a competent SFIV (I know of the iOS version; it's serviceable), or a game like Zelda or Kid Icarus.

The best option would be to buy a new iPod Touch 8 gig for twenty bucks cheaper, but at that point you're sacrificing full-featured, well-controlling games for pricing and infrastructure.  Depends on what you're looking for in portable gaming, I guess.
püp

EmCeeGrammar

I think I might get a 3ds because I haven't had a good pokemon fix since ruby/sapphire.  Black and White looks unappealing, but the next iteration is sure to take advantage of whatever changes Nintendo is instituting in their online service.  Maybe I can finally get a legit Politoed or some shit.  40 dollar games suck though, they need to focus their energy on making the estore desirable to 3ds consumers because I'm selfish and should have my way.
sad

Himu

40 dollars is a bit pricey.

I was hoping for 30-40 just like psp.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
At the very least I'll get one when it comes out by trading in my DSi as well as some games.  I can't play my games anymore on my acekard :(
püp

EmCeeGrammar

So how much can we expect psp2 games to be 50-60 bucks /concerntroll
sad

Himu

Please do not fill my brain with thoughts, emcee. Half the reason I prefer portable gaming are the cheaper games.
IYKYK

EmCeeGrammar

We're both gonna be statistics on a demographic slide at an Apple presentation.  Saaaaaaaaad.
sad

Himu

2 buck gaming :rock

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
or a game like Zelda

there's a fair few Zelda style games on the Iphone - based on the 2D ones too... you know... when Zelda was still good?

links to the iPhone store or it didn't happen
乱学者

cool breeze

[youtube=560,345]I0yxZiifFhw[/youtube]

actually, Gameloft is making a Zelda clone for ipod/phone :lol

and there are a bunch of direct comparisons you can make in pricing.  For the 3DS, there is Asphalt whatever they're on (they roll out like 5 a year).  $40 on 3DS, probably under $10 on the iphone.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:58:23 PM by Linkzg »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Well, let's be fair: if you buy an iPhone 4 you'll end up paying more in the long run, plus, what sort of games in the realm of standard gaming are truly worth getting on iOS?  Some are fantastic, sure!  Infinity Blade, Angry Birds, etc etc, but you're not going to get a competent Resident Evil, a competent SFIV (I know of the iOS version; it's serviceable), or a game like Zelda or Kid Icarus.

The best option would be to buy a new iPod Touch 8 gig for twenty bucks cheaper, but at that point you're sacrificing full-featured, well-controlling games for pricing and infrastructure.  Depends on what you're looking for in portable gaming, I guess.

Pricing and infrastructure are exactly the things that are keying into the market these days.

Isn't FFTactics coming to iPhone? Chinatown Wars is on there for $10. Let's Golf

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
I thought Zenonia was an FF clone, not a Zelda clone, for some reason.
乱学者

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
and you're not foolingme to get into a "zelda's not good anymore" argument.  I'ma need drinky here with me if that starts
püp

cool breeze

play-asia import cost of the japanese 3ds is $479

yeah

EmCeeGrammar

Skyward Sword looks very refreshing.  I just hope it gives us some memorable music to nostalgiatard over two decades from now.
sad

maxy

• Sales Loser
Saw this on some forum,kinda suitable to post here

[youtube=560,345]#![/youtube]
cat

originalz

• Z!?
(it's making it's way to the DS - there's a Zenonia 2 on iphone too, also available on PC)

It's already on the DSiWare, not a bad port of the game but it has the jerky movements that most iPhone ports suffer from.

maxy

• Sales Loser
[youtube=560,345]#[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Some people are melting over load times...just make a sandwich
expecting same loading times as DS is a bit unrealistic

NGP will be even worse
cat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I think out of all the bitching and complaints gamers have had in the past 10-15 years, loading times is the one I couldn't give two shits about.  Shit's there, just get used to it and have fucking patience.  I'd rather wait for 15 seconds than actually be playing a game where you do nothing for 15 MINUTES at a time (coughWind Wakercough).
püp

Corporal

I'd rather play a game without any loading times at all. But oh well, to each his own.
!list

EmCeeGrammar

I think its just shoddy programming. There's no good reason to have loading on solid state media, unless the publisher goes with the cheap cards and hella compress the game to fit on them.
sad

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
I think its just shoddy programming. There's no good reason to have loading on solid state media, unless the publisher goes with the cheap cards and hella compress the game to fit on them.

lol wut ???

Flash memory != instant loading and of course it's hella compressed  ::)
◕‿◕

Oblivion

and you're not foolingme to get into a "zelda's not good anymore" argument.

i actually enjoyed Wind Waker and a whole gang of us spent a day going through 4 Swords which was absolutely fantastic fun - i tried the Wii Zelda but once i'd gotten through the first 14 hours of NOTHING i had pretty much had it.

Annnyways - my desire to play Ocarina AGAIN even if it is in 3D is extremely low.

Did you like OoT?

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
I think out of all the bitching and complaints gamers have had in the past 10-15 years, loading times is the one I couldn't give two shits about.  Shit's there, just get used to it and have fucking patience.  I'd rather wait for 15 seconds than actually be playing a game where you do nothing for 15 MINUTES at a time (coughWind Wakercough).

Are you fucking serious? loading times is the most valid complaint gamers have.
Drunk

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
wah wah, not really.
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Load times? Try frame rate.

Or resolution. Or AA.
[close]
dog

Bebpo

resolution is not a valid complaint.  No one can seriously tell a 600p game vs. a 720p game on a console.

AA depends on the game.  Some games are fine without AA because of the art style, some games are REALLY NOT FINE without AA :P

Framerate & Load times are valid complaints on everything.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
resolution is not a valid complaint.  No one can seriously tell a 600p game vs. a 720p game on a console.

AA depends on the game.  Some games are fine without AA because of the art style, some games are REALLY NOT FINE without AA :P

Framerate & Load times are valid complaints on everything.

AA is a valid complaint ALL THE TIME. Seriously.
dog

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick

Or resolution. Or AA.
[close]

I'd take shitty framerate over shitty load times anytime.
Drunk

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Or resolution. Or AA.
[close]

I'd take shitty framerate over shitty load times anytime.

Unless we're talking about 1 minutes load times several times an hour, then no way would I take that deal.
dog

Corporal

What really makes my blood boil are lazy loading screens. Just a black screen with a tiny spinning logo or animated text. Fuck that shit. I just loooove looking at a black screen twiddling my thumbs inbetween heated bouts of gaming.
!list