Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 35968 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The coming console war
« Reply #540 on: May 13, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Metroid: Other M was pretty weird and not very good.

Between the Where's Waldo sections that entirely froze the gameplay, the cringe CG movies that were supposed to tell an 'engaging story', visuals that weren't as good as Metroid Prime on the GameCube or Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and the shitty soundtrack it had few redeeming qualities. What i liked most about it was the Ninja Gaiden like gameplay. They had only 2 buttons to work with, because the entire game was played with the Wii Remote but it worked pretty well. Because of how weak the end game was you could also tell they rushed it out the door and wanted to move on from the project. The development art was genuinely great though and so were the ideas they had to expand the Metroid universe. But the final product did not reflect that at all and was just a bit of a mess and mostly forgettable. I can't think of a single environment or boss that stood out in the entire game.
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #541 on: May 17, 2021, 02:41:01 PM »
3D Metroid has not had a very good batting average. :doge
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »
I remember Nintendo releasing a Metroid quake mod for Nintendo DS with a character that was both a sniper and invisible.  :doge

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1394355847187345416
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:20:04 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #543 on: May 17, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
You all should’ve been careful about what you wish for, we’re getting a console world war.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1394322070939570184

Beezy

« Reply #544 on: May 18, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
I remember Nintendo releasing a Metroid quake mod for Nintendo DS with a character that was both a sniper and invisible.  :doge
I spent more time online with that game than anyone should. :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2021, 01:47:49 PM »
Sales are going to mean fuck all until there's no supply constraints, tho

:yeshrug
yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #547 on: May 21, 2021, 04:39:59 AM »
That's years away.
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »
Right, so I mean I guess give a shit about this "war" if you want? It's dumb. I'm still of the opinion that more people overall want Sony's exclusives but MS will sell a shit ton of gamepass subs to people who hate themselves enough to play like, infinite B tier games. It's whatever. The switch is obviously outselling everything but it's on older hardware so is this even a war? How do you score it?
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »
In terms of war...
While Soyny (Germany) and Microsoft (USSR) have dug in along the borders of their empires in a war of attrition, the highly skilled legions of Soyny are slaughtering the endless hordes that Microsoft sends to the front to no avail.
But the Empire of Nintendo has succesfully conquered the rest of Eurasia all around them. Closing in on the capital of Soyny.

Meanwhile the PC market (United States) is sitting high and dry across the ocean but is annoyed by the disruption of their supply lines.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2021, 04:57:17 PM »
yar

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
All major platforms are successful and every major publisher is doing well. Gauging different elements, Nintendo imo has "won" the war. They manufacture a console that is inexpensive to manufacture that continues to sell.

The Switch will most likely reach PS2 level sales when it's all said and done. Bouncing back like that after the Wii-U is astonishing.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
All major platforms are successful and every major publisher is doing well. Gauging different elements, Nintendo imo has "won" the war. They manufacture a console that is inexpensive to manufacture that continues to sell.

The Switch will most likely reach PS2 level sales when it's all said and done. Bouncing back like that after the Wii-U is astonishing.
Nintendo is rolling out the T34's while Sony can't find parts for their Tigers
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »

Plus there seems a much greater variety of games to play over the last 5 or so years than there were in the 360/PS3 and early PS4/Bone gen (2010-2014). I can't really think of any particular market that might be 'underserved' unless you exclusively play like extreme sports or strategy RPGs.
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #554 on: May 22, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
That's the thing- everything is getting made right now. EVERYTHING. Every indulgent niche whatever is out there. CRPGs in the mold of Torment to dumb shit that should be incinerated rather than played like Shenmue III, it's all out there. There's no reason for any segment of video game fandom to be sad right now, unless you want to play shit that's only on the new hardware and you can't buy a PS5 or Xbox series whatever
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #555 on: May 25, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #556 on: May 25, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »
A new challenger approaches

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1397272770220806159

Interesting.  There's already several of these out -I just got the GPD Win 3 and it's a powerful little PC that's the size of a Switch Lite, holy shit- but they're all made by Chinese manufacturers and customer support isn't as good as it could be.  If they can stay competitive and price it well, it could be big.  Or this could just fizzle out like the Alienware model did.
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2021, 12:51:55 AM »
Makes sense, Steam Machines did so well.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »
seems extremely niche to me
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #559 on: May 27, 2021, 12:07:05 AM »
The Switch works because of its simplicity.

No one ever called PC gaming simple.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #560 on: May 27, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »
That's the thing- everything is getting made right now. EVERYTHING. Every indulgent niche whatever is out there. CRPGs in the mold of Torment to dumb shit that should be incinerated rather than played like Shenmue III, it's all out there. There's no reason for any segment of video game fandom to be sad right now, unless you want to play shit that's only on the new hardware and you can't buy a PS5 or Xbox series whatever

Not everything is made now. I hate this cliche modern gamers say. There's plenty to buy but not every niche is filled.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #561 on: May 27, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
Can I fill your niche Cindy?  :-*
What

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #562 on: May 27, 2021, 05:49:50 PM »

Not everything is made now. I hate this cliche modern gamers say. There's plenty to buy but not every niche is filled.

I feel like the statement "there is a greater variety of games being made now than ever before" is true.

You're probably mad because major publishers aren't doing weird shit, which, like, fair. But it's out there, maybe not with the budget you want it to have. *shrugs*

You probably still just big mad because you got your wish with a Shenmue III release and it sucked big fucking donkey balls, just like I told you it would.
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #563 on: May 27, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »
arcade racers shouldn't be dead. Other than that, 2015- to now is some of the best gaming time since the 90s.

I can go to a retail store and pick up a new Streets of Rage, a new Igavania, a Yakuza that isn't 5 years late and censored, all kinds of Resident Evil, a Mizuguchi version of Tetris, Devil May Cry, a legit competent Crash Bandicoot, old-school feeling Doom, bunch a new Samurai IPs, good Megaman, an actual inventive Ninja Theory title like Hellblade, the best Remedy game Control, a definitive version of THPS, soon a Tales of game that looks like it has a budget, etc.

Imagine such a statement during the PS360 days - it would've been a total dream :lol :yuck  Had to have fun trawling through a bunch of CoD/Gears lookalikes, broken Bethesda RPGs and sports games to maybe find some minor variety. And even compared to PS2 it might be better in some areas now, since some things like Visual Novels didn't exist then, or real good homeconsole 2D games were dead in the water outside some drips from Konami.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:27:07 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #564 on: May 27, 2021, 10:14:39 PM »

I feel like the statement "there is a greater variety of games being made now than ever before" is true.

You're probably mad because major publishers aren't doing weird shit, which, like, fair. But it's out there, maybe not with the budget you want it to have. *shrugs*

You probably still just big mad because you got your wish with a Shenmue III release and it sucked big fucking donkey balls, just like I told you it would.

Like I said, it depends on the genre.

Arcade racers, rail shooter numbers are dire. Budgets are so high and risk is lower. There's a lot of games being made, but the number of hardcore jrpgs that I like playing are lighter. There's specifically a problem with diversity within specific genres. For example, there's tons of fighting games being made today but 3D fighters are all but dead except when it's Tekken or Soul Calibur. Jrpgs are doing good but they're mostly extremely story-oriented games. Games like SMT3 HD come out to little fanfare, will likely bomb, and SMTV likely won't be as much of a dungeon crawler as past games. Stealth has gone to the wayside. 3D platformers are mostly dead and when they're resurrected - besides Mario - they're almost always crap. So there's more games being made, but less variety within certain genres when in the past things were more varied.

Take RPGs, again. Final Fantasy XVI is going to be an action-based game. They're got Team Ninja working on another action-based Final Fantasy. And FFVII Remake was sort of action-based too. But what if I just want a traditional FF experience that's not trying to be an action game? I'm shit out of luck. So you say there's more being made, but in actuality its less in terms of variety. I, as a player, have less options for my tastes compared to twenty years ago. I'm locked in and if I want to play a turn based game I have to settle for something mediocre like one of those Bravely games when I before, I ate rich food. Now i'm fed scraps. How many turn-based jrpgs are really being made? Far less than 20 years ago. Action rpgs have become so far the norm that turn-based is basically niche now, but I prefer turn-based unless it's Souls or Ys.

Depending on your taste,"look at all these games being made!" means very little. In fact, I think it means jack shit. Where's the survival horror besides Resident Evil? Where's the Clock Tower? Silent Hill's? Fatal Frame? Something new that rocks the boat? That entire genre is held up by RE at this point. The industry has shifted so far from my tastes and wants. This also supposes that all of these games are good. Quantity != quality.

I hate Shenmue III. Please do not mention it again.

That said, I'll definitely compliment the current gaming landscape. It's pretty good and you have a lot of options. But the broad brush "anyone can find anything for their tastes these days" is pretty LOL to me. I haven't even gotten into open-world games, a genre I used to love but now can't stand (love BOTW though).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:31:44 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: May 28, 2021, 12:18:13 AM »
I am glad to see there are at least some good games that have come out in the genres that don't have as much representation these days.  Want to play a good stealth game?  Aragami has you covered.  The sequel is coming this year.  We got two good arcade racers with Hotshot Racing and Inertial Drift last year.  Rail shooters...uh...enjoy the Panzer Dragoon remake or Gal*Gun, I guess, lol.  But House Of The Dead is coming soon.  Just because Square isn't making as many turn-based RPGs doesn't mean others aren't- what about those Trails games, for example?  Have you tried the Atelier games?  Or Yakuza Like A Dragon?

Couldn't say which games are good since I don't tend to play a lot of survival horror type games, but there's a pretty good number of them available on PC.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 12:24:11 AM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #566 on: May 28, 2021, 05:59:26 AM »
Your rpg examples just prove you're given scraps these days. No offense to Atelier series or Trails series. Trails games are not gameplay focused romps. They're 100 hour long story games. The fact I have to settle Atelier just makes my point for me. Ten years ago Atelier was bottom feeder rpg status. Now it's something you have to play if you want a semblance of turn based RPG gameplay. Yakuza 7 looks good though and is the most interesting jrpg I've seen in years. Unfortunately my PS4 is still in another state.

A panzaer dragoon remake means jack shit to me. Panzer 1 has been released how many times? I'm glad Zwei is being remade but like :yeshrugn These are dead genres. Light gun games are okay, but I prefer rail shooters, which is why I said those and not light guns.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #567 on: May 28, 2021, 06:31:20 AM »
But what if I just want a traditional FF experience that's not trying to be an action game? I'm shit out of luck.

It's called Bravely Default 2 which released not too long ago. It's the spiritual succesor to the Four Heroes of Light DS game that in turn was a title based on the first 3 Final Fantasy games.

Himu

« Reply #568 on: May 28, 2021, 07:02:47 AM »
But what if I just want a traditional FF experience that's not trying to be an action game? I'm shit out of luck.

It's called Bravely Default 2 which released not too long ago. It's the spiritual succesor to the Four Heroes of Light DS game that in turn was a title based on the first 3 Final Fantasy games.

I mentioned Bravely games in my post and think that team and their games are mediocre. I'm going to get it eventually, but again, scraps. My least my favorite kind of scrap while we're at it. "Do you remember??" nostalgia infused scraps. I tried the demo to BD2 and fell asleep.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #569 on: May 28, 2021, 07:22:55 AM »
Your rpg examples just prove you're given scraps these days. No offense to Atelier series or Trails series. Trails games are not gameplay focused romps. They're 100 hour long story games. The fact I have to settle Atelier just makes my point for me. Ten years ago Atelier was bottom feeder rpg status. Now it's something you have to play if you want a semblance of turn based RPG gameplay. Yakuza 7 looks good though and is the most interesting jrpg I've seen in years. Unfortunately my PS4 is still in another state.

Or it's because Atelier games have gotten better.  I cited those two series because I know them from recent releases- I'm not big into JRPGs so there's probably a lot more stuff out there.  I'm just not as familiar with them. 

A panzaer dragoon remake means jack shit to me. Panzer 1 has been released how many times? I'm glad Zwei is being remade but like :yeshrugn These are dead genres. Light gun games are okay, but I prefer rail shooters, which is why I said those and not light guns.

How many times has Dragon Quest III been re-released?  Doesn't seem to have killed your excitement there.  Rail shooters have never been a particularly-huge genre.  I would recommend checking out some indie games like GRIDD Retroenhanced.  And I guess Pokemon Snap counts.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 07:48:08 AM by bork »
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #570 on: May 28, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »
If it's doing exactly what those original games are doing and you figure out it wasn't actually that good. Maybe the originals weren't that good to begin with?

Svejk

« Reply #571 on: May 28, 2021, 08:01:35 AM »
I find it hard to go back to certain genres I adored back in the PS1 era... Some have evolved greatly... some, not so much.  That being said, a lot of people's tastes and expectations have evolved greatly too.  I get flippy floppy on wanting to stick with classic, tried and true gameplay, but I want those built on too at the same time.  Guess it's hard to find that balance to tick all the boxes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: May 28, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
I find it hard to go back to certain genres I adored back in the PS1 era... Some have evolved greatly... some, not so much.  That being said, a lot of people's tastes and expectations have evolved greatly too.  I get flippy floppy on wanting to stick with classic, tried and true gameplay, but I want those built on too at the same time.  Guess it's hard to find that balance to tick all the boxes.

What genres?  Some games haven't aged well, but I dunno about entire genres.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:24 AM »
Cindi also seems to be forgetting that when you look backwards you see everything all at once.

Phantasy Star
Dragon Warrior
Phantasy Star II
Final Fantasy
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Warrior II
Final Fantasy Legend, The
Sword of Vermilion
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Final Fantasy Legend II
Final Fantasy II

These were released from 1988 to 1991 so a span of 4 years.

Kemco RPG Omnibus
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl Gold
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Little Town Hero
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Fairy Tail
Nexomon: Extinction
Death end re;Quest 2
Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
CrossCode
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV, The
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
Witch Spring 3 Re:Fine -The Story of the Marionette Witch Eirudy-

These were released in 2020.

(Special thanks to Landail for doing his insane Twitch run of all console rpgs ever released.)

Svejk

« Reply #574 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »

3D Action games have evolved nicely I'd say, but that genre was in it's infancy during the PS1 era.  But like Cindy mentioned, JRPGS were practically all rock solid and stunning during that era... Now, I can't even stand to look at the art direction of some...   Like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for example.  FFVIIR is one exception where they successfully tied in everything that was great from the OG and built on top of it with great strides. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: May 28, 2021, 08:35:41 AM »

3D Action games have evolved nicely I'd say, but that genre was in it's infancy during the PS1 era.  But like Cindy mentioned, JRPGS were practically all rock solid and stunning during that era... Now, I can't even stand to look at the art direction of some...   Like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for example.  FFVIIR is one exception where they successfully tied in everything that was great from the OG and built on top of it with great strides.

Oh, you mean anime tiddy.
:exxy

That's not applicable to the entire genre.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »

It's not, but it feels like all my younger days, favorite JRPG series have for the most part; Phantasy Star, Shining Series, Xeno series...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »

It's not, but it feels like all my younger days, favorite JRPG series have for the most part; Phantasy Star, Shining Series, Xeno series...

Phantasy Star IV featured a half-nekkid catgirl.  Shining went full uguu~ for sure, will give you that, but it's not really so pervy from what I remember?  Xenosaga featured half-nekkid androids.  Some of the character designs were tamer back then, but they were 'pervy' for the time.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
Downplaying current games as a whole because the RPG action/turnbased ration has inverted. :doge  And all that a day after new DQ announcements, and after Yakuza has been confirmed for more RPG entries and SMTV is about to release. And the next Fire Emblem already rumoured. Okay then.  :doge

Also, every generation had deficits. Maybe back then you were flooded with Final Fantasy clones, but didn't get nearly as much A-RPG as now. After the PS1, 2D home console games from bigger publishers were just dead. Then 3D platformers died outside Mario/Sonic. Beat'em'Ups also. All that came back in the last generation. Visual Novels weren't even localized back in the day, now they come out. There's a retail release of fucking Wonderboy these days. A remaster of freaking The Silver Case. Gaming is fire right now for fans of mid-budget, weird and Japanese games and if I must, I'll sacrifice another rail shooter for it. No arcade racers is the only thing I'm irritated about.

Rail shooters have never been a particularly-huge genre. 

Classic Survival Horror neither. After RE and SH, there was a big quality gap, a few decent games like Dino Crisis and Fatal Frame maybe, then just junk. Also, while not horror, but still narrative-wise, Hellblade is like a new Silent Hill but with vikings.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 12:38:14 PM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #579 on: May 28, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »
No arcade racers is the only thing I'm irritated about.

There's that Sonic Team Racing (thought it was kinda crap though) game, CTR, Hotshot Racing, and Inertial Drift, plus more indie racers on PC, like this one coming soon:

ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #580 on: May 28, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »
Gaming these days is pretty awesome in many ways.

When you have a game on your mind that isn't super niche you can probably find it upscaled, improved or remastered on 2 or more systems.
Even games that were locked behind strange console exclusivity for a long time (Super Mario Sunshine / Nier Replicant) are starting to be released on other platforms.

And if that's no option than PC's have become powerful enough to emulate basically anything.
If there's a multiplayer game you like than it will probably be expanded upon for the forseeable future with new content and seasons, keeping things fresh.

I loved tinkering with Half Life mods back in the day but this is just an entirely different ball game.
Plus gaming culture is only getting bigger. I remember it was difficult to find any merchandise unless you knew where to find stuff imported from Japan.
Hell, it was difficult to find certain games that were limited in print. Now you can get 99% of them whenever you want digitally.

And finally there's a whole bunch of platforms just giving away good games for free or peanuts.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #581 on: May 28, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »
I'm finally ready for the console war. Just plugged in the Series X next to the PS5.

When can I expect them to start fighting?

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #582 on: May 28, 2021, 03:25:56 PM »

Phantasy Star IV featured a half-nekkid catgirl.  Shining went full uguu~ for sure, will give you that, but it's not really so pervy from what I remember?  Xenosaga featured half-nekkid androids.  Some of the character designs were tamer back then, but they were 'pervy' for the time.

Pretty sure it was Star Ocean 4 that had the half naked cat girl unless phantasy Star 4 did as well.  And omg fucking Limmle :rage or however you spell her name, god the story and the characters of Star ocean 4 sucked ass but at least the combat was fun as shit.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2021, 03:40:40 PM »
I imagine Phantasy Star 4's Rika is probably too hot nowadays.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2021, 09:54:46 PM »
I imagine Phantasy Star 4's Rika is probably too hot nowadays.

(Image removed from quote.)

Some of the girls in Phantasy Star 2 were my first game char crushes as a kid  :-*

Anna and Amy and the save data girl in particular.

Love this fanart:

^_^

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #585 on: May 29, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »
MLB did a spot for the Show today on Fox during the Mets game and it only mentioned Xbox and gamepass :heh

Himu

« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2021, 03:57:36 PM »
If it's doing exactly what those original games are doing and you figure out it wasn't actually that good. Maybe the originals weren't that good to begin with?

The problem is it harps on old games. That's all that team ever does. FF: WoL, Bravely Default, and now Triangle Strategy look like rip off been there done that garbage. Triangle Strategy in particular had one of the most embarrassing trailers I've ever seen. I was actually laughing at it. Pick up for game play only.

Cindi also seems to be forgetting that when you look backwards you see everything all at once.

Phantasy Star
Dragon Warrior
Phantasy Star II
Final Fantasy
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Warrior II
Final Fantasy Legend, The
Sword of Vermilion
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Final Fantasy Legend II
Final Fantasy II

These were released from 1988 to 1991 so a span of 4 years.

Kemco RPG Omnibus
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl Gold
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Little Town Hero
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Fairy Tail
Nexomon: Extinction
Death end re;Quest 2
Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
CrossCode
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV, The
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
Witch Spring 3 Re:Fine -The Story of the Marionette Witch Eirudy-

These were released in 2020.

(Special thanks to Landail for doing his insane Twitch run of all console rpgs ever released.)

Why are you bringing up early 90's games? Good point though with the list. In general though, gaming isn't high on my priority list though so I have missed many of these or gotten to them yet.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:02:36 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
Because you're talking about the flood of jrpgs we used to have. The yearly releases barely ever ran as high they do now. The years in which they did during the PS2 era they were also packed with the same b-tier shit you're talking about now.

I don't even understand your first point. "I want classic FF." They literally do exactly that and then you complain and when they do new shit you complain about that. I can't believe a spinoff series retains aspects of the series it is part of.

Himu

« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »
Because you're talking about the flood of jrpgs we used to have. The yearly releases barely ever ran as high they do now. The years in which they did during the PS2 era they were also packed with the same b-tier shit you're talking about now.

I don't even understand your first point. "I want classic FF." They literally do exactly that and then you complain and when they do new shit you complain about that. I can't believe a spinoff series retains aspects of the series it is part of.

I didn't say I want classic FF. I said I want turn based Final Fantasy. FFXII is turned based and it's not trying to be the same FFV wannabe that Bravely games are trying to be. I love FFV but Jesus Christ, it's the same shit over and over with that developer. One aspect of FF is evolution and making things different while retaining hallmarks of tradition. Just because I say,"i want non-action based FF" doesn't mean I want the same FF regurgitated. It's pretty simple.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
Is FF12 turn based? Then FF14 and FF7 Remake are turn based as well. Both are even getting new content this year.

Himu

« Reply #590 on: May 30, 2021, 07:20:29 PM »
Is FF12 turn based? Then FF14 and FF7 Remake are turn based as well. Both are even getting new content this year.

FF12 is turn based. FF14 is an mmo, I've tried it multiple times and I don't have the time or will power to dump my time into it. I've devolved to watching the cutscenes on youtube. FF7 Remake is great and unique mix of real time and turn based. Very Valkyrie profile 2-esque. I like it a lot but I'm starving over here. Bravely Default is not Final Fantasy no matter how it's advertised. Imagine the life of a Final Fantasy fan. FFXIII was trash, so you go years without a new FF. FFXV is an action rpg (I like it but it's not the same). Your only options are an mmo if you like that thing, and part one of an FFVII remake that took half a decade to be made. That's within the past 10+ years since FF13's release. Then FFXVI is action-based, and they're also making another action game by Team Ninja.

Hungry out here.

Then there's no GTAVI and MGS seems to be RIP. Thank God for Nintendo and From Software. They're the only ones you can count on anymore.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:33:47 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #591 on: May 30, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
Yeah, was about say, FFVIIR sounded like it ticks all the boxes of what you want to see... But yeah, would like to see more of what they did for it.  I think with the huge success of FFVIIR, they've gotta be looking into allot more prospects.

Himu

« Reply #592 on: May 30, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »
eh
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:21:05 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #593 on: May 30, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »
This reminds me of a discussion i had on twitter about how your favorite franchises will likely out live you. Superman and Batman are almost 100 years old and have outlived many of their oldest fans. They've changed over the years and gone in directions certain fans of them don't particularly like. But they'll always be there for a new generation. I guess the question is when it's time to give it up for the new generation rather than beating a dead horse. Better to move on.

Combined with industry budgets, the sheer amount of time and manpower it takes to make a game now and I'm not really seeing much positive here.
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #594 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »
i dont think we're ever going to get really streamlined focused JRPG's light on story and dialogue like FFV or early DQ's outside indie studios and remakes. even at the time FFV was originally released it was appreciated for it's gameplay but the story considered forgettable. i barely remember anything about it's world despite only playing it a few years ago, though anyone who's played VI remembers that game (and it defined a generation). i have quite specific critiques of the modernisation of FFVIIr that kinda apply to rpg's generally like the pacing is kinda thrown off at a few points with extremely dull fetch quests and some of the voice acting in towns is repetitive and triggered so frequently to the point i muted voices at a few points (when the game "opens up" after the plate falls).

still, for a style that was really borne from technical limitations that don't exist anymore there's still a lot of recent games pandering to it's fans; that new yakuza game, dq11, atelier, trails in cold steel, FFVIIr and some indie stuff like sea of stars or the upcoming suikoden successor eiyuden chronicle.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #595 on: May 30, 2021, 09:27:43 PM »
Right, so I mean I guess give a shit about this "war" if you want? It's dumb. I'm still of the opinion that more people overall want Sony's exclusives but MS will sell a shit ton of gamepass subs to people who hate themselves enough to play like, infinite B tier games. It's whatever. The switch is obviously outselling everything but it's on older hardware so is this even a war? How do you score it?

I like GamePass, but I am seriously not getting value out of it as long as I have my current bad habits of just playing Red Dead Online (PS4) and State of Decay 2 (Xbox Game Pass) forever. I should just buy SOD2 and move on.

Himu

« Reply #596 on: May 30, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
i dont think we're ever going to get really streamlined focused JRPG's light on story and dialogue like FFV or early DQ's outside indie studios and remakes. even at the time FFV was originally released it was appreciated for it's gameplay but the story considered forgettable. i barely remember anything about it's world despite only playing it a few years ago, though anyone who's played VI remembers that game (and it defined a generation). i have quite specific critiques of the modernisation of FFVIIr that kinda apply to rpg's generally like the pacing is kinda thrown off at a few points with extremely dull fetch quests and some of the voice acting in towns is repetitive and triggered so frequently to the point i muted voices at a few points (when the game "opens up" after the plate falls).

still, for a style that was really borne from technical limitations that don't exist anymore there's still a lot of recent games pandering to it's fans; that new yakuza game, dq11, atelier, trails in cold steel, FFVIIr and some indie stuff like sea of stars or the upcoming suikoden successor eiyuden chronicle.

Who said anything about FFV or early DQ? DQVIII is light on dialogue as are ps2 era SMT games (sans P3/4) and other games. Dungeon crawlers like Etrian exist. Strategy RPGs like FFT and TO. Keep shit light, keep it simple. Don't over extend. Jrpgs having constant dialogue is an actually new development. In the past, those with lots of dialogue and story (Xenosaga, Tales) were exceptions. Now even DQ can't shut the fuck up when it is famously known for minimal storytelling. Now it's less about the game adventure and more about the story they want to tell.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:48:22 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #597 on: May 30, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »
using FFV as a comparison to VI as an example of people wanting stronger stories, not necessarily the stronger game and that being a trend for a long time now. i mean, og FFVII is not a great game. SMT, tactics series, the more streamlined JRPGs have always been pretty niche. xenosaga is the other extreme imo. i haven't played the latest DQ, but DQVIII came out 17 years ago now. shit's a classic now
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #598 on: May 30, 2021, 10:01:19 PM »
To typify this difference, watch the first few minutes of this.

Please mute because it's one of those idiotas talking over it.

Old DQ is about adventure and filling in the blanks with your own imagination. So take the first minute or so of this village. You go to an island with a town  cursed with a horrific rain as all the townspeople have turned into stone. No cutscene. No explanation at all. It's just there for you to discover and ponder. The storytelling is minimal and the game world tells the story through hints and clues. It's an adventure.

Now compare with DQXI.

This game won't shut the fuck up. Gone is the minimal storytelling. Gone is the adventure and imagination. It's full of ass clowns telling me what to think, where to go, what to see, and how to play the game ruining what I love about Dragon Quest to begin with.

And every modern jrpg is like this. Pokemon won't shut the fuck up. Persona 5 won't shut the fuck up. These games hail from franchises that, in the past, let the player figure things out for themselves and didn't jam endless exposition down your throat. When I first played DQXI, the people in the thread, told me to just put the game on hard mode or something. I think these people specifically lack critical thought.

Thank fuck for Souls games. They are some of the only RPGs being made today that have the old "story through exploration" rather than "story through being spoon fed" mindset.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #599 on: May 30, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »
FFVI is also a bad example. FFVI is famous for giving the player control. Yes, it has more story than FFV, but because it's not to the point where it hampers the gameplay. FFVI is actually more open and has more freedom than FFV. WoR can be beaten with four party members, you don't even have to collect all of them. The problem with modern jrpgs is that story gets in the way of gameplay. They're constantly telling you what to do, where to go, what you can do, what you can't do so they can dictate your game experience. Jrpgs have turned in VNs.
IYKYK