Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 34949 times)

Svejk

Re: The coming console war
« Reply #300 on: April 20, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »
this is just how modern consumer tech works m8s.

This is such a bullshit cop-out lol.
But it's true unfortunately.  We all get a $500-$1000 cellphone that will last 5 years (if you're lucky) and we just all take that pill up the ass... Is it disgusting? Yes.. but what other choice do we have to get our fix?  And I know it's apples and oranges (cellphones vs. gaming hardware), but we shouldn't be surprised they are no longer making things to last.  That age has long gone for electronics.  Something drastic has to change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

paprikastaude

« Reply #301 on: April 20, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »
I never bought anything digital that I couldn't get in physical form. If there's no other way, I get digital games solely on PC these days. I learned my lesson with Wii. And I guess New 3DS. It already irked me that I couldn't sell its pre-installed game, because I didn't care for it and would have liked to get some bucks back. But then it also turned out that that pos has the tendency to lose its color layers on the outside. So now I have that game and a few other digital Nintendo things trapped on that rancid looking 3DS, with a wobbly screen too, whose online service will probably die soon like Wii, as it already happened in South America.

Sadly, some PS classics I also had to get on the PSN to be feasible, but I never felt like I ever really owned them. As I understand it from that account's current testings, physical PS3 games won't need the clock synch and physical PS4 games neither on PS5, which makes me confident that some later firmware will remove that mechanic from original PS4 hardware also (especially now that they are pressured). That's what I care about. Next, unlock PS1/2 for PS5.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:00:22 AM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »
i doubt nintendo is exempt from these issues either.

They are. Or at least, these specific issues.

Trophies are stupid bullshit and requiring extra hardware to make sure "the time is tip-top perfect and no bad smelly hackers have EVER changed it" is fucking overkill.

I will die on this hill. Fuck system-level trophies and achievements, especially if this is the outcome.

Also fuck MS's new Xbox sign-up process. Google enforces something similar for Chromebooks and it's not cool there either. Microsoft keeps prompting me to add an account to Windows 10 and won't even let you activate a new computer without an MS account now unless you physically disconnect from the internet. I hate this direction for hardware you ostensibly own.
Didn't the Switch (or was it the Wiiu?) have the problem of not being able to carry over an account/saves from one machine to the next?
But i agree with the general sentiment.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #303 on: April 20, 2021, 11:39:48 AM »
i doubt nintendo is exempt from these issues either.

They are. Or at least, these specific issues.

Trophies are stupid bullshit and requiring extra hardware to make sure "the time is tip-top perfect and no bad smelly hackers have EVER changed it" is fucking overkill.

I will die on this hill. Fuck system-level trophies and achievements, especially if this is the outcome.

Also fuck MS's new Xbox sign-up process. Google enforces something similar for Chromebooks and it's not cool there either. Microsoft keeps prompting me to add an account to Windows 10 and won't even let you activate a new computer without an MS account now unless you physically disconnect from the internet. I hate this direction for hardware you ostensibly own.
Didn't the Switch (or was it the Wiiu?) have the problem of not being able to carry over an account/saves from one machine to the next?
But i agree with the general sentiment.

If you're not just transferring between two pieces of hardware, you had to literally call and beg Nintendo or show them a police theft report to redownload your games on DSi, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U because they’re locked to the hardware and not just your account  :miyamoto
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #304 on: April 20, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
3DS and Wii U had full system transfer support since Nintendo still hadn't figured out how online accounts and digital content management worked together.

I used it on multiple 3DS systems (I mean who didn't upgrade to the New 3DS or whatever), and did the Wii VC import on Wii U when I got that.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

I think the local save situation on Switch still kinda sucks. You need to have created a Nintendo Account to complete the system transfer apparently.

I'm tired of attempted gotchas like this tbh. Did I ever say that was a good thing?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
My entire Steam library still works (as far as I know anyway).

So I'm not that worried about digital PC games.
Consoles is a different matter. My physical copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars will likely still work in 10, 20 or even 30 years if I can find a working Switch.
Not sure if people that bought the digital version will have the same luxury once Nintendo shuts down this 'iteration' of the eShop.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »

Consoles is a different matter. My physical copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars will likely still work in 10, 20 or even 30 years if I can find a working Switch.
Not sure if people that bought the digital version will have the same luxury once Nintendo shuts down this 'iteration' of the eShop.

And this is why I broke my digital-only rule for that one game. :lol

Being able to redownload Switch eShop games will likely continue for 5-10 years after the eShop stops accepting new purchases based on prior systems. And I honestly expect the Switch "platform" to stay around for a long time due to the move to ARM, which means the eShop should be around for a while too. But this prediction could be wrong.

Just like the Sony CMOS issue, servers don't stay online forever and companies don't stay solvent forever. Nothing about the future is really guaranteed. It's a good thing this kind of tech wasn't available to Kodak back in the day.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:22:26 PM by Tasty »

Svejk

« Reply #307 on: April 20, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »

Let's be honest.. Nintendo will sell all these games to everyone again in less than 10 years, on a new system, at an even higher price, and even more people will buy it because they're suckers, so it doesn't matter.  It's the Nintendo way.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #308 on: April 20, 2021, 03:49:13 PM »
I'm tired of attempted gotchas like this tbh. Did I ever say that was a good thing?
Calm your tits Tasty, it was a genuine question, i even said i agree with the general sentiment.
I remembered the WiiU situation BIONIC described, that's all.

My general opinion about game preservation is that it's a lost cause.
Even taking into consideration wild dreams of piracy, online integration nowadays is so intrinsic to the experience, that it's just not realistic to think you'll be playing these games 20 years from now.
Might as well consider them as some kind of live performance, you can capture a video of it, but not the experience itself.
So i'm not shocked that game companies don't give a shit about your PS4 library 10 years from now.

Himu

« Reply #309 on: April 20, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
cindi

(Image removed from quote.)

anyway, you can replace your cmos battery in a ps4 just like you would a pc's. how would you recommend a device keeping it's date/time when unplugged without using a CMOS? guess it sucks the console is all but bricked without it or an internet connection, but the fix is extremely simple and only something you'd have to do every 10 to 20 years. all for complaining about stuff, but this seems like a bit of a non event.

Huh? But MS invests in BC. Why should I care? The problem with Sony's CMOS issue is that they don't give a fuck about BC, which necessitates keeping their own systems around. Will PS6 have PS4 bc? Doubt it! MS doesn't have that problem.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2021, 03:58:26 PM »
Because of how Sony handles their legacy games right now, I don’t give a flying fuck if I do a bunch of rom grabs.  Make the library of easily emulatable games available on your current platforms and I’ll pay for them, you slimy cunts.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »

Microsoft keeps promoting the Nintendo Switch  :thinking
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
Most likely: xcloud on Switch, Game Pass on Switch

Likely: Master Chief Collection on Switch, Rare Replay, Forza Horizon 4

Not gonna happen but would cause meltdowns: full blown partnership and collaboration between Microsoft and Nintendo. Xbox gets Nintendo games, Nintendo gets Xbox Live and all services attached to it.
OH!

paprikastaude

« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2021, 06:22:30 PM »
MS is doing fan service because they lost the generation, but when they were successful they wanted to limit how you play even new physical games. i.e. All this can completely change every few years. And tbf, the more you talk about preservation, the less I like how MS does it. Because it all relies on downloads instead of actual things you have. It's absolutely nice that they are remastering some games and giving you the downloads you for free if you have a disc. But that seems like a bonus feature that skips the most important part, i.e. have all your old shit running first without anything fancy attached. Now "bc" just concerns a small percentage of their old games portfolio. Even on 360 you can't just pop an OG XB disc in, but download a file first.

Even taking into consideration wild dreams of piracy, online integration nowadays is so intrinsic to the experience, that it's just not realistic to think you'll be playing these games 20 years from now.
Might as well consider them as some kind of live performance, you can capture a video of it, but not the experience itself.
So i'm not shocked that game companies don't give a shit about your PS4 library 10 years from now.

Maybe that's true another generation from now when everything goes Gamepass, but currently that's overly dramatic. There's no doubt you will be able to play current games until discs decay, at least PS4 titles. Not so much digitally, but then again, even on Steam I consider everything I have a play permission at best. But physical PS4 games already work without the internal clock on PS5. It's apparently super simple to remove that restriction on PS4 too. If Sony for some weird reason decides to turn the switch back on for PS5 and then also refuses to update the PS4 firmware when the problems start, then I'm sure there quickly will be someone out of 120 million PS4 users to make an idiot-safe instant-hack in a day. You might be concerned for the lack of patches in the future, but out of like 200+ HD games I'd played (unpatched), there's been less than five I considered unplayable or too rough. The biggest deficit will be DLC.

Himu

« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
MS is doing fan service because they lost the generation, but when they were successful they wanted to limit how you play even new physical games. i.e. All this can completely change every few years. And tbf, the more you talk about preservation, the less I like how MS does it. Because it all relies on downloads instead of actual things you have. It's absolutely nice that they are remastering some games and giving you the downloads you for free if you have a disc. But that seems like a bonus feature that skips the most important part, i.e. have all your old shit running first without anything fancy attached. Now "bc" just concerns a small percentage of their old games portfolio. Even on 360 you can't just pop an OG XB disc in, but download a file first.

Maybe that's true another generation from now when everything goes Gamepass, but currently that's overly dramatic. There's no doubt you will be able to play current games until discs decay, at least PS4 titles. Not so much digitally, but then again, even on Steam I consider everything I have a play permission at best. But physical PS4 games already work without the internal clock on PS5. It's apparently super simple to remove that restriction on PS4 too. If Sony for some weird reason decides to turn the switch back on for PS5 and then also refuses to update the PS4 firmware when the problems start, then I'm sure there quickly will be someone out of 120 million PS4 users to make an idiot-safe instant-hack in a day. You might be concerned for the lack of patches in the future, but out of like 200+ HD games I'd played (unpatched), there's been less than five I considered unplayable or too rough. The biggest deficit will be DLC.

Really bad point to make. It's like you just finally solved the riddle to video games. I hope that statement doesn't make me sound like a jerk. I don't mean it like that, but the reality is this applies to any console maker. They're always begging and listing good reasons to join them when they're down or on the way up. But once they're on that high they chase it straight to Gravy Town and get fat on their own chewy arrogance. It always happens to every company. We saw it with Sony with ps3, Nintendo with N64, and MS with Xbone. They always show their ass and then have a big, ugly spill. Once they get up, they brush their knees off, and beg for scraps till they're on top again.

Will happen with Sony once they've experienced their next down.

Will happen to Nintendo.

And yes, it will also happen with Microsoft.

This is why I don't get myself overly committed to a hardware manufacturer although it's obvious my preference is Sony. A lesson learned from being a prior Sega kid.
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #315 on: April 20, 2021, 07:10:05 PM »

why? walled gardens, vendor lock-in, drm, built-in obsolescence. every software and hardware company, especially the ones we're discussing, engages in these practices. sony might be the worst? idk, the criteria seems vague. i could point out a host of issues with every platform.
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:32 PM »

Really bad point to make. It's like you just finally solved the riddle to video games. I hope that statement doesn't make me sound like a jerk. I don't mean it like that, but the reality is this applies to any console maker. They're always begging and listing good reasons to join them when they're down or on the way up. But once they're on that high they chase it straight to Gravy Town and get fat on their own chewy arrogance. It always happens to every company. We saw it with Sony with ps3, Nintendo with N64, and MS with Xbone. They always show their ass and then have a big, ugly spill. Once they get up, they brush their knees off, and beg for scraps till they're on top again.

Will happen to Nintendo.

This is why I don't get myself overly committed to a hardware manufacturer although it's obvious my preference is Sony. A lesson learned from being a prior Sega kid.

That's what I'm saying, so I don't see the point in trusting MS for a theoretical future proof strategy that could change any other year. They care about BC now. When it matters even more in the future? Maybe. Or not. It's even more moot if you look at what their bc is. Ok, I'll take Banjo Kazooie HD and 4K Ninja Gaiden, that's nice. But that's just a couple of games out of thousands that won't be remastered individually. And those few are still depending on an online service that current leadership deems worthy, while they don't actually seem to step away from all these online setups required on XBones. As more details emerge around all these things, I'm actually feeling safer about my PS4 collection.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:20:13 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

« Reply #317 on: April 20, 2021, 07:18:31 PM »

why? walled gardens, vendor lock-in, drm, built-in obsolescence. every software and hardware company, especially the ones we're discussing, engages in these practices. sony might be the worst? idk, the criteria seems vague. i could point out a host of issues with every platform.

So let's not fix any of them! Wonderful defeatism. ;)

naff

« Reply #318 on: April 20, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
That's what I'm saying, so I don't see the point in giving MS credit for a theoretical future proof strategy that could change any other year. They care about BC now. When it matters even more in the future? Maybe. Or not. It's even more moot if you actually look at what their bc is. Ok, I'll take Banjo Kazooie HD and 4K Ninja Gaiden, that's nice. But that's just a couple of games out of thousands that won't be remastered individually. And they are all depending on an online service that current leadership deems worthy, while they don't actually seem to step away from all these online setups required on XBones. As more details emerge around all these things, I'm actually feeling safer about my PS4 collection.

idk, i think sony and m$ will probably continue to offer bc because it will simply be a lot easier in future with how strong virtualization tech is and how much they've both invested in it. esp m$. that said, wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more spotty when either/both move away from x86 architecture again (inevitable).
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:18 PM »
Calm your tits Tasty, it was a genuine question, i even said i agree with the general sentiment.

But what's the point in asking that question at that point in the discussion? Should we start bringing 64DD and Setallaview into things too? :thinking

My tits became agitated because if bork or Cindi had posted that post on trophies, would you have even thought to bring up the Wii U and 3DS in your reply? My belief is no.

naff

« Reply #320 on: April 20, 2021, 07:26:54 PM »
tbh, the issues with nintendo's historic and current atrocious record regarding digital purchases is one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking about drm in the context of game companies. you say this like pointing that out is a discriminatory tactic lol.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #321 on: April 20, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
I managed to transfer my stuff from old 3ds to New 3ds with ease.

Spieler, but that's just it. Xbone had great BC too even upon launch when it was a dud. I think it's just something important to MS, period.

Trophiss are dumb and I haven't paid attention to them since Jet Set Radio HD when I tore the game apart on Steam. I really only care about it in specific games and that's the last time I did because JSR is a game I've mastered and i had tons of fun with. I do want to get the rest of the achievements for Dark Souls 1 and Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, though.
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #322 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »
there are maybe 1 or 2 companies in the world capable of competing with m$ on that level. virtualization tech is more important to m$ bottom line than the entire xbox brand. expecting sony to compete with ms on that level is a little wild imo
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #323 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
Thinking about it, the MS "BC" feels like another slow drip Virtual Console, except it has discounts for collectors. Which is again, kind of cool, no objection to Ninja Gaiden Black in 4K or whatever, especially if it's free if you already have it on your shelves. But just like Virtual Console, it feels like another batch of game permissions that will go away quicker than my discs and carts will ever rot. That's not really what I want, nor providing me with a feeling of security. My PS4 discs seemingly working on PS5 unpatched is the kind of thing that does that. Except that they need to to fucking check some boxes already and add those PS1 and PS2 emulators they already had on a dozen other platforms on top of it. I don't want to activate some download permission, even if Xbox does it a little better than Nintendo's VC. Even if it comes with higher def and achievements. I just want to play whatever is new, but when it's a special occassion, like Halloween or something, pop in Silent Hill 1 from my shelve and play that on the same machine for a night. Like on PS3.

Himu

« Reply #324 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:43 PM »
there are maybe 1 or 2 companies in the world capable of competing with m$ on that level. virtualization tech is more important to m$ bottom line than the entire xbox brand. expecting sony to compete with ms on that level is a little wild imo

I never said I did? I don't expect Sony to compete but they're not offering any alternatives either. They don't respect their history but they also don't push for BC. If you don't care about BC, that's cool. Nintendo seemingly doesn't either. But at least care about their *history*, which Nintendo obviously does. Why continue to invest in the PlayStation brand if they don't care?

Finally, PS1 (and by extension PS2) is not hard to implement into these systems.

This honestly sounds like the Sony bootlicking I've read elsewhere.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »
Most likely: xcloud on Switch, Game Pass on Switch

Likely: Master Chief Collection on Switch, Rare Replay, Forza Horizon 4

Not gonna happen but would cause meltdowns: full blown partnership and collaboration between Microsoft and Nintendo. Xbox gets Nintendo games, Nintendo gets Xbox Live and all services attached to it.
My money is on xcloud. I don't see how Game Pass would work unless they completely overhaul their specs.
Not to mention the confusion with indie gams that are both on Game Pass and the eShop. Switch already has a bunch of Gefore Now cloud games like CONTROL so it fits.

Outside of an 8-bit Super Mario Bros. ROM as part of some partnership I don't see Nintendo releasing any games on Xbox in the forseeable future.

Rare Replay is not even on PC, so I don't see a Switch port of that happening either. Not easy to port Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts to Switch.
Forza Horizon and/or Master Chief Collection could be possible. I just don't see them set-up a Switch development group to port 1 or 2 games.

The least interesting explanation is that Microsoft is displaying the Switch because it runs Minecraft and a bunch of Bethesda games they now own.
And maybe they're planning to port more Bethesda games to Switch (or those plans were already made prior to them buying Bethesda)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »

Will happen to Nintendo.

I dunno, I feel like they've moved to a point that console generations are sort of fluid and their business model is resistant enough to not be put down by a single failed console.
Nintendo might move down from their current 'high' but their baseline will be much higher than the GameCube / N64 days considering how they've expanded and strengthened their IP's beyond games and continue to do so.
They've just locked in another generation or 2 with the Switch. All those kiddo's grow up with Nintendo IP's and pass the torch.

Sony has millions of PS4 owners who will eventually upgrade to PS5 unless something 'crazy' happens. Some might not bite at $599 and with these low supplies but once prices get closer to $299 they'll gobble up the same market they've always had.
Playing with friends and online communities who also go with PlayStation as their default console of choice plays a big part in this. They might take a hit in Japan but I don't see Sony losing the crown in the US or EU anytime soon.

For Sony and Nintendo there is no Atari or SEGA like risk in the forseeable future. Business models have expanded and gaming is as popular as ever and a very crisis resistant product that offers 'cheap' escapism for many.
Sony Corp is more at risk because of their other ventures but let's face it, Nintendo will exist longer than any of us  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2021, 08:28:13 PM »
I'm reading Hit & Run right now by Kim Masters and Nancy Griffin, and it's really entertaining see Sony get taken for an absolute ride in the 80's. Hopefully they learned from those mistakes. :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2021, 08:37:13 PM »
I was reading some stuff from like, 1994, recently and there were so many Betamax comparisons made as to why Sony was going to fail with the PlayStation. Plus their bad purchases in the 80's.

The same was raised when there was the DVD debate around the same time. I had forgot there even was a competition between two formats for DVD. (But that was resolved almost peacefully compared to other times although IIRC we did get the DVD-R and DVD+R out of it.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2021, 06:43:49 AM »

But what's the point in asking that question at that point in the discussion? Should we start bringing 64DD and Setallaview into things too? :thinking

My tits became agitated because if bork or Cindi had posted that post on trophies, would you have even thought to bring up the Wii U and 3DS in your reply? My belief is no.

I genuinely don't know what this implies, that i have a beef against you or against Nintendo?  ???
The former just isn't true, the latter is, but i also hate MS and Sony equally.  :-*
I also can't stand Steam, Oculus, Twitter, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Wacom, Adobe... come to think of it, i hate a lot of companies. :thinking

I brought it up because the ability to retain you library was relevant to the idea of retaining your purchases past your immediate hardware's life span.

Himu

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:50:25 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »
 :popcorn
limiting resolution?  Sounds like Sony's getting a lockdown on PSVR2 support in the near future.  :win   If so, I would be against this too, if RE7VR wasn't so fucking awesome.

Only now is Cap all but officially announced RE7 is getting their next gen upgrade here shortly too (next week possibly).  All in due time.

MS buys studios, Sony money hats timed exclusives and Nintendo just Nintendos.   Sounds like a recipe for a epic rap battle of history.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2021, 09:15:37 AM »
soyny :pacspit
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
Should be pointing the finger at Capcom, not Sony... They're the ones that accepted the bags of money Sony offered them to lock it lower.  Capcom could've chose to laugh them out of the room like Nintendo did to MS back in the day, but they said "sure" instead.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Himu

« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2021, 11:08:18 AM »
Should be pointing the finger at Capcom, not Sony... They're the ones that accepted the bags of money Sony offered them to lock it lower.  Capcom could've chose to laugh them out of the room like Nintendo did to MS back in the day, but they said "sure" instead.

Pease stop.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
Is that verified as genuine?

paprikastaude

Himu

« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:55 PM »
Noting every single game that interests me to see if it's on X.

:rejoice

This fall I get XSX. :rejoice
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1384878863189164035

:leon that's more than I expected.  Not sure if source is true, but this is clearly The boner's trojan horse if so.  If Sony's new thing they're gonna reveal is anywhere similar, they're gonna need it to be in order to compete with GP.  Depending on what MS does with Bethesda IP's and keep GP available for PC, I'll bite down the road most likely.

Himu

« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2021, 01:27:02 PM »
Was going to get a ps5 and play ps4 games in better resolution with ps4 pro additions. Was looking forward to playing games like RE2, RE3, RE7 and 8 on PS5. Now I'll get them all on X! New Tales also coming to Series X and Judgement too! AHAHAHA

Nier Automata is also on Xbox. I have it on PS4 but I'll rebuy when I can. :)

I think 13 Sentinels and stuff like Ace Combat 7  will be the final PS4 games I get. We will see. Oh wait, AC7 is also on Xbox! AHAHAHAHA I'M FREEE!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:31:42 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
Please stop.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2021, 01:52:24 PM »

Isn't Rise exclusive and then later only on PC because Nintendo paid them? Didn’t they also pay to keep it off the Vita back then?

Strange that doesn’t bother certain gamers but this does. :kermit

Himu

« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
I'm really trying to see what it'd take to migrate my ps4 collection to Xbone for most of my favorites at least like Dark Souls Trilogy and Sekiro.

MH World is also on Xbox! *dances*

My shift from the PS ecosystem might be way easier than I thought. :) Main concern is arcade stick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:03:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
I'm really trying to see what it'd take to migrate my ps4 collection to Xbone for most of my favorites at least like Dark Souls Trilogy and Sekiro.

MH World is also on Xbox! *dances*

My shift from the PS ecosystem might be way easier than I thought. :) Main concern is arcade stick.

Can't recommend that you don't do this -and just move to PC, keeping the PS4, instead- enough.  Forget about the physical stuff; it doesn't matter when you still have to full-install everything and download updates.  You seem to be mainly into Japanese games.  Xbox is not going to be the way to go.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:41:07 PM by bork »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »
Noting every single game that interests me to see if it's on X.

:rejoice

This fall I get XSX. :rejoice
You're not interested in Guilty Gear Strive?

Himu

« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2021, 02:14:37 PM »
Strive will be on PC :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »
Speaking of arcade sticks. The stick I'm planning on buying and tricking out supports Xbox Series X/PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox 360/Nintendo Switch/PC

Yes, yes, yes, yes! I'm feeling good feeling about this move. :rejoice
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
I’d be fully recommending the same except for one really unfortunate problem at the moment: pc hardware prices are out of control fucking bonkers at the moment, and I doubt they’ll normalize anytime this year.  If you can get most of what you want with a series s or x and don’t want to wait all that long, I feel likes it’s an alright purchase as a stopgap.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2021, 02:36:05 PM »
So because of an issue, you have convinced is bigger than it is, you're going to change plans and also rebuy all your games and switch to a console that also may have issues in the far future.

ok.

Strive is on PC? Yeah so is everything the Xbox offers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:40:52 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
I’d be fully recommending the same except for one really unfortunate problem at the moment: pc hardware prices are out of control fucking bonkers at the moment, and I doubt they’ll normalize anytime this year.  If you can get most of what you want with a series s or x and don’t want to wait all that long, I feel likes it’s an alright purchase as a stopgap.

IIRC Cindi is interested in a new laptop (and might have already gotten it?) where this isn't as much of an issue.

Definitely glad I pulled the trigger early and got a new desktop PC a few months ago.  Paid a normal price for it whereas now the same setup would cost a good $1500 more.
:whew
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2021, 02:46:15 PM »
Yeah im pretty happy I got my RTX 3070 at fucking launch for 649 euros, which seemed like a lot of money at the time but now its like double that price
What

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
OH!

Himu

« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »

IIRC Cindi is interested in a new laptop (and might have already gotten it?) where this isn't as much of an issue.

Nah, need more time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »
So because of an issue, you have convinced is bigger than it is, you're going to change plans and also rebuy all your games and switch to a console that also may have issues in the far future.

ok.

Strive is on PC? Yeah so is everything the Xbox offers.

You're thinking too hard on PC Strive thing. Even if I were getting a ps5, I would still get Strive on PC. BTW, Strive is also on PS4, a system I already have. I'm getting it there because that's what the players I want to play with are going to play on. In fighting games, most players have migrated to PC already. People can't stand playing on PSN. If I asked friends to play me in Xrd on PS4 they'd groan. So I'm not interested in playing fighting games on consoles to begin with.

Also, my plans haven't changed. I'm just switching the system. It's also an issue I care about.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
In fighting games, most players have migrated to PC already.

:confused
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »

The players I play with at least. My group and people I play with play on PC. Doesn't matter the game or community: 3S, ST, GG, Tekken. They all prefer PC. The entire rollback thing from the past year is a big example. GG +R and KOF02 have been having a massive revival. Why? Rollback. Where? PC. The PC playing FG community is fucking huge.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »

I genuinely don't know what this implies, that i have a beef against you or against Nintendo?  ???
The former just isn't true, the latter is, but i also hate MS and Sony equally.  :-*
I also can't stand Steam, Oculus, Twitter, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Wacom, Adobe... come to think of it, i hate a lot of companies. :thinking

I brought it up because the ability to retain you library was relevant to the idea of retaining your purchases past your immediate hardware's life span.

You're fine, I apologize, was having a moment and been trying not to have thoughts like that as much these days. :insane

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2021, 03:12:31 PM »

The players I play with at least. My group and people I play with play on PC. Doesn't matter the game or community: 3S, ST, GG, Tekken. They all prefer PC. The entire rollback thing from the past year is a big example. GG +R and KOF02 have been having a massive revival. Why? Rollback. Where? PC. The PC playing FG community is fucking huge.

-The people you like to play with game on PC.
-All the games you're interested in are on PC.
-Everything on Xbox is also on PC.

...Why do you want an Xbox again?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
-The people you like to play with game on PC.
-All the games you're interested in are on PC.
-Everything on Xbox is also on PC.

...Why do you want an Xbox again?

Because fighting games aren't the only genre I play, I prefer physical, and generally also prefer consoles. Fighting games are also not that resource heavy.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
Yeah im pretty happy I got my RTX 3070 at fucking launch for 649 euros, which seemed like a lot of money at the time but now its like double that price
That's what you would pay for a  GTX 1660 or RX580 now, if you can find one and that's a big if  :doge

If I would've known this I would've jumped at a 3070 at those prices too and just sold my 2070 Super.
Thank the lord I have it though  :whew
🤴