Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 34953 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: The coming console war
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
It cant be that much lmao... I saw some shit cards having 250 bids tho..

shouldnt have sold my 1060 3gb for 125 when I got this card but eh fuck it
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2021, 03:18:21 PM »
-The people you like to play with game on PC.
-All the games you're interested in are on PC.
-Everything on Xbox is also on PC.

...Why do you want an Xbox again?

Because fighting games aren't the only genre I play, I prefer physical, and generally also prefer consoles. Fighting games are also not that resource heavy.

It's pretty clear that you've made up your mind.  Just hope you don't regret it when something you want inevitably comes out for Playstation that's not on Xbox or the FGC decides to go with PS5 for local play.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »

I wish I was joking

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
🤴

Himu

« Reply #363 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
-The people you like to play with game on PC.
-All the games you're interested in are on PC.
-Everything on Xbox is also on PC.

...Why do you want an Xbox again?

Because fighting games aren't the only genre I play, I prefer physical, and generally also prefer consoles. Fighting games are also not that resource heavy.

It's pretty clear that you've made up your mind.  Just hope you don't regret it when something you want inevitably comes out for Playstation that's not on Xbox or the FGC decides to go with PS5 for local play.

Can you name a single noteworthy fighting game not available on PC? Street Fighter V is on PS4 but it's also on PC. I'm not sure what your point you're trying to make. At most, I'd have to get an arcade stick that supports PS5 support.

I'm showing I'm willing to play on PC, but not make it my main platform. Take Demons Souls. It's on PS5, yes. But it's also coming to PC. Although I don't want to mainly game on PC (outside of fighting games), I'm willing to do so if I catch a game not available on Switch or Xbox. Since most games on PS4 are also on PC, this mitigates damage without me having to fully commit to the mostly digital platform of PC.

Pretty bizarre suggestion to want to make me commit to PC, a mostly digital platform, when we have been talking about Sony closing their PS store for multiple systems. This move is made specfically so I can maximize my return in my physical games mattering. Since Sony doesn't care I will not invest in their products going forward. On Xbox I can play my actual Ninja Gaiden Black disc with a current gen Xbox in 2021. The only reason I am willing to play FGs on PC is because 1. people i play with and 2. with season passes fighting games these days are mostly digital products and getting out the discs as you play multiple games (as I do on PS4) is tedious as fuck. Because of this I'm willing to relegate one specific genre that I already view as digital to an all digital platform.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:42:56 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #364 on: April 21, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
If this whole cmos issue is such a big deal to you and your concerned that one day possibly the authentication server, why aren’t you worried by the Series X needling an online authentication for BC games, even disc. So why isn’t that a big issue? 

Svejk

« Reply #365 on: April 21, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
Although there's a multitude of reasons mentioned for going elsewhere, just seemed rather an abrupt change of heart because of one thing Sony announced then rolled back a week later.  It never even came to fruition.  I agree with bork.. don't think other bullshit like that Sony stuff won't happen elsewhere. Only a matter of time.  :doge
But if you're content and feel good about your gaming plans, more power to you.  :) It's a good feeling I strive for too.

Svejk

« Reply #366 on: April 21, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »

I wish I was joking

(Image removed from quote.)

[close]
Shit is nuts! I feel more and more lucky I got what I got when I got it. 
(1080 3GB)

Himu

« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2021, 04:05:17 PM »
If this whole cmos issue is such a big deal to you and your concerned that one day possibly the authentication server, why aren’t you worried by the Series X needling an online authentication for BC games, even disc. So why isn’t that a big issue?

Because I did not know that until you told me.

For me it's the perfect storm of CMOS, PS3/PSP/Vita storefront debacle, PS5 not having support for PSX or 2 (a very simple thing to implement these days especially on PS5's level of tech), and PlayStation's CEO himself questioning the validity of old games. That's quite a combination! Further, 70 dollar games is quite an ask!

And thanks to years of being a Sega kid, I learned at a young age to be quickly able to throw away your gaming masters and trade him for a new one. For me, faith in a corporation or product can be lost literally overnight. I went into E3 2006 a mostly Sony fan, I went out Team Wii60. I can pinpoint the overall trend in a corporation pretty quickly and know that PlayStation has little to give me for the foreseeable future.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #368 on: April 21, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
And what is Xbox offering?

Did you also predict the trend where 360 threw away first party and went kinnct focused?

Or that PS3 would course correct?

Or that the Wii would double down on things like Wii music?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:28:57 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #369 on: April 21, 2021, 04:39:00 PM »
And what is Xbox offering?

Did you also predict the trend where 360 threw away first party and went kinnct focused?

Or that PS3 would course correct?

Or that the Wii would double down on things like Wii music?

Xbox is offering about the same as other platforms. They're also preserving things I care about, making relationships with Japanese developers (Kojima Mikami), and have been on a good pr roll of good ideas lately.

I did not know but I'm generally able to get a good lock on where  system is heading. Ever since my foray with Sega ended I have picked up a knack for choosing the right players for that particular generation. PSX, PS2, Wii 360, then PS4. These picks were all the right moves. That's not to say their competition weren't buying, as I bought an N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS3 eventually. But let's be honest. PS3 sucked until Slim (when I did get a ps3). That was at least 3-4 years of the PS3 sucking. Wii still had amazing original titles (Super Mario Galaxy was the best game that generation) despite whatever issues it had and was very worth owning.

I always go with the winners at the time. Because of Sega I was quickly able to sense losers. I'm not the one that bought Wii U, unlike the rest of you. I'm the person that bet on Switch being banger - and it was. All the reasons I have given, plus the overall everything of PS5 (I don't like how big it is or how it even looks). This sense has never betrayed me and right now it tells me Sony is a loser.

I know gaming losers when I see them and...

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #370 on: April 21, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Sony literally published and funded Kojima’s last deal and has a contract for Mikami’s next game. They still have plenty of relationships with Japanese companies and aren’t reforging them because they didn’t throw them away only to later need fodder for their sub service. They have near perfect PS4 BC not requiring any online system. They just don’t have a small library of PS3 games as BC.

But hey rationalize this how you want.

Himu

« Reply #371 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
https://gamerant.com/new-hideo-kojima-game-sony-ps5/

Also MS owns Tango Gameworks. It's coming to Series X. Not a big deal.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »
Seems a bit of a stretch to call GhostWire Tokyo "Mikami's game".

Himu

« Reply #373 on: April 21, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
The questions like "what is Microsoft offering?" just feels wrong.

There's Game Pass and there's stuff like this.

Smaller system, better BC, 1tb for 500 bucks, Game Pass, faster due to SSD, quick resume, has most of the same games as ps4/5. Can't be beat. What a package. Sony stans that think PS5 has already stolen the generation might be in for a ride. lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #374 on: April 21, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
Hahaha DQXIS is on Xbox too! :rejoice
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »
Can you name a single noteworthy fighting game not available on PC? Street Fighter V is on PS4 but it's also on PC. I'm not sure what your point you're trying to make. At most, I'd have to get an arcade stick that supports PS5 support.

Are all the 'noteworthy' fighting games currently on PC?  Yes, outside of Virtua Fighter- but they didn't all release at the same time as they did on console.  Player bases are not as large for when you want to play randoms, too.  And then what about the platform?  If a game releases on EGS, it's like it's being sent to die.  See- SNK.  In fact, see SNK, who took months AND MONTHS to even bother patching Samurai Shodown, which didn't even run for a lot of people, myself included.  Just something to think about.

I'm showing I'm willing to play on PC, but not make it my main platform. Take Demons Souls. It's on PS5, yes. But it's also coming to PC.

Is it?  Don't forget that Sony said it wasn't and that was a mistake.

Pretty bizarre suggestion to want to make me commit to PC, a mostly digital platform, when we have been talking about Sony closing their PS store for multiple systems.

Physical is pointless for the current-gen consoles outside of the Switch, and this is coming from a dude who goes crazy-nutso buying physical games.  :P  Xbox isn't going to allow you to go back and play everything from the previous systems- they've just done a much better job than Sony has.  IIRC you still can't get DLC for O.G. XBox games (including patches) even if they're backwards-compatible. 

This is where PC wins over console- the games I bought on Steam in 2004 are still available for download on my PC today.  Not worried about "BC" here.  And then if something older doesn't work on newer hardware, even if the publishers or developers don't step in, the community will.

Anyway, I don't have some sort of hate-boner for XBox.  Quite the opposite, actually- I love that they have made it so that there's no reason for me to buy their hardware to play all their games. 
:jeb
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »

I wish I was joking

(Image removed from quote.)

[close]

well thats new..
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2021, 06:39:14 PM »
The potential for Xbox is there but believe me as someone who has been there with the 360 and Xbox One, they seldom live up to that potential.
With Microsoft you are always one Kinect away from some executive deciding that the company needs to change course and find a way to implement their latest toy into all their projects.

It happened with the Cloud(TM), UWP, Kinect, TV(R) and will happen again during this generation.
And those acquisitions mean nothing. Microsoft bought Nokia in 2013 for $7 billion to compete with iPhone and then had to write off the assets and fire thousands of people in 2015.

So buy an Xbox if you like the games on offer, the hardware and the feature set. But don't buy it for some 'roadmap' Microsoft is selling until it actually materializes.
Because ultimately that is a 'journey' to nothing.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »
Eh nevermind
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:58:41 PM by Rahxephon91 »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2021, 07:32:08 PM »
My outlook is I have Series X for current gen AAA games and gamepass, a Switch for Nintendo games/JRPGs/Weeb stuff, and I'm going to build a PC for emulation and revisiting older games that haven't been ported or random indie games.

This hobby has a lot versatility with what platforms offer.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2021, 07:33:09 PM »
My outlook is I have Series X for current gen AAA games and gamepass, a Switch for Nintendo games/JRPGs/Weeb stuff, and I'm going to build a PC for emulation and revisiting older games that haven't been ported or random indie games.

This hobby has a lot versatility with what platforms offer.

Exact same configuration.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »

My gamer sense is tingling. I smell a loser.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:00:26 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:21 PM »
A bigger conundrum this gen is what TV/Monitor to use and what features you wanna prioritize. I always fuck with budget stuff and try to get bang for my buck without spending too much.

At this point, 144HZ/240HZ is more alluring than 4K. Not many console games offer 120HZ as an option yet, but the ones that do plus freesync with 144/240HZ has impressed me way more than 4K. OLED tvs with decent HDR isn't something I've experienced, but gaming monitors right now are plentiful, are super cheap dollars wise, and offer amazing color and performance at the cost of grayish black levels.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xf243y-pbmiiprx

I got this recently and for $200 it's amazing.
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »
PS5 has Astrobot; one of the greatest 3D platformers in existence,  and the DualSense; The greatest controller to date with it's haptic responses and a d-pad rolled back to perfection like the OG PS controllers. Plus my hundreds of $$ spent on my PS library have now all been improved, breathing new life into the hundreds of games I have... All for $400..

No losing detected.
 :win

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2021, 10:34:40 PM »
A bigger conundrum this gen is what TV/Monitor to use and what features you wanna prioritize. I always fuck with budget stuff and try to get bang for my buck without spending too much.

At this point, 144HZ/240HZ is more alluring than 4K. Not many console games offer 120HZ as an option yet, but the ones that do plus freesync with 144/240HZ has impressed me way more than 4K. OLED tvs with decent HDR isn't something I've experienced, but gaming monitors right now are plentiful, are super cheap dollars wise, and offer amazing color and performance at the cost of grayish black levels.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xf243y-pbmiiprx

I got this recently and for $200 it's amazing.

For PC, 1440P with at least 144hz is the sweet spot. 

For console gaming, I just spent a lot of time and went through like six different monitors/TVs trying to find what would suit me best!  Lotta returns going on.  :lol  I was going to go with an LG CX TV, too, but even the 48" model was unfortunately too big and heavy for the space it would have gone in and it didn't work out.  In the end, I wound up getting a 32" 1440P 240/270hz monitor to use as my main display, then took my 27" 1440P 144hz monitor and made that my secondary display/console gaming monitor.  If you get a 1440P monitor that can accept and downscale a 4K signal, there's no issues with the PS4 or PS5- you can even do 1080P 120 FPS over HDMI 2.0 for the games that offer this option on the latter.  And then for older consoles and the Switch, I use the mClassic upscaler which outputs at 1440P.  Games look so good this way.
:lawd

While I will give Samsung major props for how good the VA panel looks on their Odyssey G7, IPS is still the king and I'm glad I found the Acer model I ended up going with.

Current displays are:

Primary: Acer XB323U GX.  Absolutely fantastic monitor and I'm very happy with it.  I can't find any reviews on the GX version, but the GP version which is the same thing, but 144/170hz instead of 240/270hz, has two reviews here and here.

Secondary/console display is the LG 27GL850-B.  LG announced a 32" version of the 850 series for release sometime in the future, but no pricing info has been given out yet.

For anyone interested in 1440P monitors that work great with the PS4 and PS5, there's a list here, although it's incomplete.  I guess I should submit the XB323U to the thread.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:46:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2021, 12:05:15 AM »
PS5 has Astrobot; one of the greatest 3D platformers in existence,  and the DualSense; The greatest controller to date with it's haptic responses and a d-pad rolled back to perfection like the OG PS controllers. Plus my hundreds of $$ spent on my PS library have now all been improved, breathing new life into the hundreds of games I have... All for $400..

No losing detected.
 :win
:doge :doge :doge

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2021, 01:59:28 AM »
Plus my hundreds of $$ spent on my PS library have now all been improved, breathing new life into the hundreds of games I have... All for $400..
*PS1, PS2, PSP, PSVite and PS3 excluded  :brain

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2021, 05:08:59 AM »
Playing The Show on Xbox for free is amazing brehs.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #389 on: April 22, 2021, 07:44:11 AM »
Plus my hundreds of $$ spent on my PS library have now all been improved, breathing new life into the hundreds of games I have... All for $400..
Ain't nobody got time to go back and play those.  I don't even have time to go back and play the mass of PS4 games I have.  If I really felt I needed to go back and try a PS1, PS2 or PSP game, I can play it on my phone with upscaled resolution and save states.   :betty

And let's say if my prediction did come to fruition about them making an online library of their legacy titles as part of a new premium membership, with games such as Jumping Flash or ApeEscape at my finger tips, I still couldn't go back and play them. I don't have the time to play the games I just bought just in the past month!   :doge 
Sony's Play at Home and PS Plus collections dropped a ton of games I've been wanting to play I never got too also.  The backlog is so trill, all thanks to Sony.  I can't even get to my Switch or PC games I've accumulated.

I would be singing a different tune if I had nothing to do but play games like I did in my 20's, but that's certainly not the case anymore.

Svejk

« Reply #390 on: April 22, 2021, 07:48:57 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Himu

« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »
Ain't nobody got time to go back and play those. 

:iface
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »

I know that's not that's not the point of all this, but I certainly don't care.  :trumps  Looking back, I pretty much never played PS1 games on my PS2... Never played PS2 or PS1 games on my OG PS3 60GB... Even though I couldn't go back to play my PS3 on PS4, but didn't care...  Only now does it matter some, because times have changed and my time to play is much shorter, so PS4 backlog is real.  And I'll be honest, If PS5 wasn't PS4 BC, I'd be ok with that too (my kids wouldn't though). 

Himu

« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
I played gta3 and ff7 og on my ps2 just last year. I have had a ps2 hooked up to every tv I've owned since first getting one in 2001.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
I'm playing Drakengard 3 in preparation for the Nier remake tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:03:41 AM by HardcoreRetro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2021, 11:01:07 AM »

I know that's not that's not the point of all this, but I certainly don't care.  :trumps  Looking back, I pretty much never played PS1 games on my PS2... Never played PS2 or PS1 games on my OG PS3 60GB... Even though I couldn't go back to play my PS3 on PS4, but didn't care...  Only now does it matter some, because times have changed and my time to play is much shorter, so PS4 backlog is real.  And I'll be honest, If PS5 wasn't PS4 BC, I'd be ok with that too (my kids wouldn't though).

:iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface  :iface
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #400 on: April 22, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »
To each their own.   8)
Only hate and gaming grudge I hold isn't even really game related tbh.  My Nintendo griping isn't hate, just a misunderstanding (and still don't really get).  I'm glad there's so many options and platforms to choose from, I just prefer one of them.  Overall, there's really nothing for gamers to complain about in the grand scheme of things.  Just seems lately everyone wants to point the finger at someone.
 :sistine
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:48:45 AM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Overall, there's really nothing for gamers to complain about in the grand scheme of things.

:cac

I think "Hey, at some point this game system is going to be completely useless and you won't even be able to play physical copies" is a pretty valid thing to have a complaint against.

That said, this is ultimately going to end up being a problem on all consoles at varying degrees.  Even if you have nothing but physical copies of games, patches and DLC are not going to be available at some point, and it's going to depend on the games individually for how much or how little that might matter.

For example, if theoretically PS4 and Xbox One game content is unavailable 15-20 years from now and you've got a craving to play some Tekken 7, popping that disc in is going to get you the launch version without all the years' worth of updates, new content, new moves, and all the new roster additions.

This is one of the big reasons why a lot of people are still into physical game collecting and get kind of heated when something is released "incomplete," particularly when it's something from one of the limited game publishers who claim to release titles as complete on cart/disc.  Is also why I don't generally bother buying physical versions of anything with a heavy focus on online play.  It's pointless- you're buying a coaster.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:37:56 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »

I see through your schemes Jim.   :ufup

Svejk

« Reply #403 on: April 22, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
Overall, there's really nothing for gamers to complain about in the grand scheme of things.

I think "Hey, at some point this game system is going to be completely useless and you won't even be able to play physical copies" is a pretty valid thing to have a complaint against.

That said, this is ultimately going to end up being a problem on all consoles at varying degrees.  Even if you have nothing but physical copies of games, patches and DLC are not going to be available at some point, and it's going to depend on the games individually for how much or how little that might matter.

For example, if theoretically PS4 and Xbox One game content is unavailable 15-20 years from now and you've got a craving to play some Tekken 7, popping that disc in is going to get you the launch version without all the years' worth of updates, new content, new moves, and all the new roster additions.

This is one of the big reasons why a lot of people are still into physical game collecting and get kind of heated when something is released "incomplete," particularly when it's something from one of the limited game publishers who claim to release titles as complete on cart/disc.
That would be like defending Nintendo saying, "Hey, I have a hankering for some Goldeneye64"  But nothing of Nintendo's hardware can play it other than a busted ass N64.  But it's ok.  It was just a fun game to play back then.  But in spite of everything else y'all mentioned, the big difference is that I'm done with physical games (except Switch, but that's a beast of it's own that my kids want), hence my stand on the situations of late..  I would be even sold on streaming games with no hardware, if the quality was there.  Only a matter of time.  Stadia was almost too good to be true, but we all see how their doodoo support was. 

Himu

« Reply #404 on: April 22, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »
Sony!

Reverse the cmos stuff. I'm so glad you're looking into it. WIN ME OVER BABY. I've given you love my entire life. Love me back baby. Send me some flowers. I *want* the ps5 despite the fact it's ugly as sin.  I don't *want* to migrate my games to xbox. Fight for me, PS. :-*
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #405 on: April 22, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
I'm playing Drakengard 3 in preparation for the Nier remake tomorrow.
Im sorry.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »

This is one of the big reasons why a lot of people are still into physical game collecting and get kind of heated when something is released "incomplete," particularly when it's something from one of the limited game publishers who claim to release titles as complete on cart/disc.
That would be like defending Nintendo saying, "Hey, I have a hankering for some Goldeneye64"  But nothing of Nintendo's hardware can play it other than a busted ass N64.  But it's ok.  It was just a fun game to play back then. 

No, it wouldn't be like that, because if you wanted to go back and play Goldeneye on an N64, you can do just that.  This is like going back to play Goldeneye and finding that half of the levels are locked and multiplayer is unavailable without an update.
:ufup

Or as better example, this is like trying to play an N64 game that requires the expansion pack, but all of the expansion packs have a battery inside that makes them stop working after 2025, rendering any game requiring them useless.

But in spite of everything else y'all mentioned, the big difference is that I'm done with physical games (except Switch, but that's a beast of it's own that my kids want), hence my stand on the situations of late..  I would be even sold on streaming games with no hardware, if the quality was there.  Only a matter of time.  Stadia was almost too good to be true, but we all see how their doodoo support was.

Not sure why you are making this a personal thing.  This whole CMOS thing sucks because potentially you cannot play anything on a PS4 (and PS5, apparently?  Not sure) whether its physical or digital, if the online service cannot be accessed.  And that's just kinda dumb, no matter how far along it might be until this happens.  Do I think most people will even care in 20 years? Nope.  Not the point.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
Just every once in a while whoever runs PlayStation wants Microsoft to think that they have a chance.

Then after they've had their fun they curbstomp Xbox again.

Anyhow, "looking into it" in corpo talk means trying to persuade a developer to pull up the old firmware code and change a line of code that he doesn't feel like doing.
Maybe Jessica can get him to do it, but it depends on if she can get through to him or if he ignores everyone by putting on his headset and staring at the screen without blinking.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:30:15 PM by Nintex »
🤴

mormapope

« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »
I guess a point to make is if Valve and Steam as a whole allows for old games, regardless of how much those games sell, why can't console manufacturers apply the same logic?

The answer is obviously software/architecture related. And Microsoft has shown there are software solutions regardless of architecture barriers. Which then becomes a conversation of how much it costs to develop a solution.

Sony as of late doesn't want to spend time or resources on a solution. Which sucks because the quality of software on all Playstation consoles is high.

Thats the jist of all this.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
My opinion is that with these companies wanting to steer everything towards digital and ditch physical, backwards-compatibility should be a bigger focus.  Microsoft has done much better in this regard, but none of the console makers can even hold a candle to how well things have been on PC with the likes of Steam.

I happily ditched physical PC media because of awesome the digital platforms on PC are.  Can't say I've ever felt that way about any of these consoles.  Look at how bad the previous Nintendo ones were especially- they didn't even have accounts to log onto to keep track of and redownload your games.
:dizzy

ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_4.22.2

120fps for your Xbox EA games

Mirrors Edge and Titanfall 2 at 120fps mmmm goddamn thats good if u own an Xbox
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #411 on: April 22, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
As someone who’s purchased backlog stretches all the way back into the cube/ps2 era of games, backwards compatibility is the number one feature of a system in my eyes.  Until PS5 offers better than PS4 BC (I’ll even accept just my own digital purchases for ps1/2 classics), that system is a non-starter for me, no matter how many God of Wars release for it.  If my switch library can’t carry over to whatever the next Nintendo system is, then I’m not bothering with it.  Nintendo burned me really fucking hard by not carrying over my Virtual Console library.

It’s that shit more than anything that drives piracy for me.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #412 on: April 22, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »

Meh seems like a waste to me.

Himu

« Reply #413 on: April 22, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »

Meh seems like a waste to me.

agreed. seems like a gimmick
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: April 22, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »
How is 120fps a gimmick lmao
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #415 on: April 22, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
Maybe not a gimmick, but I doubt there’s many who can take advantage of it. Titanfall 2 and ME already looked and ran great on the One X. Would rather have these efforts put forward on games that can use it like say Lost Odyssey and so on.

mormapope

« Reply #416 on: April 22, 2021, 04:54:16 PM »
Gaming monitors as a whole are either 4K, or  1080P/1440P 144/240HZ. It's been this way for years at this point. Top end TVs last year were all about high refresh rates and adaptive sync.

Refresh rates aren't a gimmick. Might as well say game performance or feel as a whole doesn't matter. Higher refresh rates feel better to play. Tons of videos detail this. It isn't just about some sort of competitive edge, game feel benefits a fuck ton from high framerate and refresh rates.

You have the choice of games looking better (4K), or running/feeling better (144/240HZ)

Maybe not a gimmick, but I doubt there’s many who can take advantage of it. Titanfall 2 and ME already looked and ran great on the One X. Would rather have these efforts put forward on games that can use it like say Lost Odyssey and so on.

So fast paced first person shooter action games should be at 60, but turn based JRPGs should run at 120 HZ?  :lol :lol :lol
OH!

Himu

« Reply #417 on: April 22, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
How is 120fps a gimmick lmao

I just don't see the point in it as someone satisfied with 30.

Rah is referring to Lost Odyssey's myriad of flaws like long load times and frame rate.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #418 on: April 22, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
A solid 120/144fps in fast-paced games is fantastic.

Svejk

« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
I hope to someday actually experience 120fps.  :-[