Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 357839 times)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #720 on: October 06, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #721 on: October 06, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
Yeah, I just saw that..  haha.

I'm actually kind of amazed that you're going to such lengths to win an internet battle.

I believe that Punish Ignorance is a good card.  I may run it in a deck.

You believe that Warp World is a good card.  You will run it in a deck (and I will counter it with my Punish Ignorance).

I see no reason that we can't coexist.  What does it matter if I want to gain three life while I counter?
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #722 on: October 06, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
I really don't want to register there, or I would point out that he is making an unfair comparison, since Cryptic Command is no longer legal.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #723 on: October 06, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
I guess. I do like the card. I think it has one of the coolest names in the shards block.

Anyway, no hard feelings. Magic talk gets me worked up sometimes. 8)

I have no idea what I want to run in standard now. I think a burn deck or an aggro deck with landfall.

tehjaybo

« Reply #724 on: October 06, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
It's cool dude.

I tried mono-red burn, completely ABUSING Chandra Ablaze, but it just didn't work like I had hoped.   :'(

But, if you do use her, just a reminder...  Cruel Ultimatum is part-red.   :lol
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #725 on: October 06, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
I'm actually quite pleased with my mono-red goblins and mono-black part-vamp part oh, i'm sorry, you wanted that creature? Too bad.

I'd like to get some games in with them, but I'm out of playing partners for the time being.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #726 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »
shit yeah.

I'm more intrigued by this than chandra.

tehjaybo

« Reply #727 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
Yeah, I had those in it as well.  It was interesting, but it got ripped apart by the group.  I kind of understood why.  It'd be a better extended deck than a standard deck, simply because the burn of older days was so much better than what's available today.  Maybe if Worldwake brings some pain, then I'd try it.  But until I get my Flame Javelins, Incinerates, Shocks, Bolts, and the like, back into the format, then I'll have to wait.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #728 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
Punish Ignorance is fine for what tehjaybo wants it to do- he's proven with his posting history that he doesn't necessarily value winning above all.  Some people (for whatever reason) absolutely hate running a netdeck in any setting and want to run something that they or someone in their playgroup has brewed up.  Different strokes for different folks- but don't delude yourself, your local tech brew is not on the same level as the netdecks.  Pros run and win with them for a reason, because they represent the top of any given field.  Your fun homebrew may win a round against one every once in a blue moon but it's not the same caliber of deck, period.

<<<---dreamcrushing Magic players since '97
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #729 on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
Yeah, it's true that I'm not always in it to win it, but I have a feeling that this esper mill will play out better than previous incarnations. 

Also, it's doubtful that it will be my main deck.  I'm really enjoying goblins, and enjoying black even more.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #730 on: October 06, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
I could see a mono-black deck become standard viable after Zendikar.  I don't know about Goblins.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #731 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
mono-black should be good. But I'm very leery of mono-anything. Too many way to get locked out. A single white knight could wreck a mono-black deck.

tehjaybo

« Reply #732 on: October 06, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
Turn 1 Goblin Guide  -18
Turn 2 Warren Instigator -16
Turn 3 Goblin Chieftain -9  (dropping Siege Gang Commander(+3 Tokens) and any other Goblin
Turn 4 Bumrush

It's been pretty reliable so far.  But it's pretty easy to stop.  With it, you kind of run balls to the wall, and if someone stops you early, you're done.  The black deck can pick itself back up and keep on rolling with it.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #733 on: October 06, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
If we're going to list out optimal draws, why don't we just assume that the other deck is going to sit there and take it and not bolt your critters or counter anything or throw blockers in your way or play a sweeper etc etc etc.  Or let's just go whole hog and go for Lotus Cobra shenanigans.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #734 on: October 06, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
Turn 3 Hellkite overlord . RAWR

tehjaybo

« Reply #735 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »
I'm just saying, it has the ability to do some decent stuff, even if some stuff gets CCd, or blocked, or whatever. 

Lets try another scenario.

1, Goblin Guide (18)
2, Instigator, (block GG, 18)
3, Chieftain, RESP Bolt Inst, (16)
4, Dragon Fodderx2, (4)
5, lol coat of arms bang bang lazerbeams
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #736 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of coat of arms since it does that goblin lords dont also do.

tehjaybo

« Reply #737 on: October 06, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #738 on: October 06, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
What I meant was that I would rather play golbin chieftan than coat of arms. Coat of arms is a tad too expensive.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #739 on: October 06, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
I'm not gonna play warp world anymore because I think spell pierce will just dominate it.

tehjaybo

« Reply #740 on: October 06, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
Well I mean yeah, given Chieftain would come out first, but Coat is more of a "Late Game Holy Shit Button" card.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #741 on: October 06, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
Well I mean yeah, given Chieftain would come out first, but Coat is more of a "Late Game Holy Shit Button" card.

Only if you have a lot of goblins out already. And then you should be winning already.  :)

tehjaybo

« Reply #742 on: October 06, 2009, 05:16:59 PM »
If my board was empty, a turn 5 coat, them laughing because I have nothing out, and then a turn 6 chieftain, dragon fodder, and guide, wouldn't be that bad. 
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #743 on: October 06, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
but think about, why would those still be in your hand?

tehjaybo

« Reply #744 on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
Magic.   :drake
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #745 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:34 PM »
 :lol

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #746 on: October 20, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
I'm gonna step put of magic I think. Anyone want to buy some cards? I have a shitload of stuff from Shards, M10 and Zendikar. Plus more.

tehjaybo

« Reply #747 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
Quitter.   :lol

Why you getting out of it?  And how much are you looking for on your collection?
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #748 on: October 20, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »
I recently moved and the magic scene here is distinguished mentally-challenged. I wont go into details.

My whole collection? That would be a lot. I would have to price it Minimum would somehwere in the $600 range probably more. If you just want a few singles I can cut a deal.

tehjaybo

« Reply #749 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
I'll have to talk to Billy about what we're looking for.
HURR

billyofcourse

« Reply #750 on: October 20, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
shoot a pm of rares/hard to find cards and I"ll see if there's anything from it we'd want.  We're not really at a point of needing anything right now.  It's mostly just in the...."I really don't need that, but I'd like to have it" phase.
NOU

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #751 on: October 20, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
I can't PM unless you PM me first.  :-\

tehjaybo

« Reply #752 on: October 20, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
I can't PM unless you PM me first.  :-\

Owned.   :lol

Or, you could just post it in this thread, since other people will be buying as well.

Or email it to me, since I can forward it to Billy.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #753 on: October 20, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
I'll make a list tonight. Really though, I have almost anything you would want from the shards and M10 block plus lots of zendikar stuff.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #754 on: October 21, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »
So, FoC, sounds like you're selling a lot of the newer sets... what about older ones?
dap

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #755 on: October 21, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »
I don't have a lot over the older stuff.

About the most valuable older card I have is a Mox Diamond and a Sol Ring.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #756 on: October 23, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
I'm going to my first PTQ tomorrow. Any advice?

I've been reading the FAQs for the event, and they mention something I've never dealt with before:

You open the packs, you sort the cards (alphabetically, or by card type, or some other way. The tournament officials will tell you how to do it), you write down the cards (known as a card pool), and then… they take the cards away from you.

Why, because it time for the A deck swap.

The great thing about a deck swap, is that one person will record exactly what cards are in a card pool, without knowing who will actually get to use those cards in the tournament. This means that if this person were to cheat, and add good cards, they would be helping someone at random, not themselves. If a player tries to add a card after the deck swap, the judges will have the decklist to prove that the cards added were not originally opened by the first person who registered the card pool. This will be discovered when the judges perform a deck check.

So I'm going to open my six boosters, give them to an official, then they'll give me 90 cards that someone else opened?
dap

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #757 on: October 23, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »
The OT was last weekend. I thought the season was over.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #758 on: October 23, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »
This is for the San Diego Pro Tour stop, I do believe. Could be wrong though. Site is here.
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #759 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm going to my first PTQ tomorrow. Any advice?

I've been reading the FAQs for the event, and they mention something I've never dealt with before:

You open the packs, you sort the cards (alphabetically, or by card type, or some other way. The tournament officials will tell you how to do it), you write down the cards (known as a card pool), and then… they take the cards away from you.

Why, because it time for the A deck swap.

The great thing about a deck swap, is that one person will record exactly what cards are in a card pool, without knowing who will actually get to use those cards in the tournament. This means that if this person were to cheat, and add good cards, they would be helping someone at random, not themselves. If a player tries to add a card after the deck swap, the judges will have the decklist to prove that the cards added were not originally opened by the first person who registered the card pool. This will be discovered when the judges perform a deck check.

So I'm going to open my six boosters, give them to an official, then they'll give me 90 cards that someone else opened?

You'll open your six packs, sort them out, and record what was pulled.  You don't keep these.  Then, an official will give you a pack that someone else sorted just like you did, and that is what you will build with.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #760 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
Yeah, logging a random set of packs that you don't get to keep is supposed to prevent people from cheating by slipping in ringer cards.  "Honest judge, I opened these four Burst Lightnings and 3 Punshing Fires!  No, really!"

The format of the ptq is Zendikar sealed, right?  Well, if you're not familiar with it I'd suggest going to some good sites and read up on it.  Figure out what the established archetypes are to play and try to figure out how to fashion the most effective deck you can out of them.  From what I've heard Zendikar limited is supposed to be pretty brutal and aggressive, so slower strategies probably aren't the way to go.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #761 on: October 23, 2009, 06:53:31 PM »
:piss  sealed

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #762 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
You'll open your six packs, sort them out, and record what was pulled.  You don't keep these.  Then, an official will give you a pack that someone else sorted just like you did, and that is what you will build with.

I understand why they do that, but I don't like the way that...feels.

The format of the ptq is Zendikar sealed, right?  Well, if you're not familiar with it I'd suggest going to some good sites and read up on it. 

Oh I've already got one full set of Zendikar - I know all about it ;) I'm hoping for a lot of playable red, as mono-red seems to be quite the beast.

:piss  sealed

compared to what, Constructed? Drafts? I love drafting but I hate having to pass a dope rare or a card I like because it doesn't fit in with what I've already drafted. And as far as Constructed is concerned... I've never really cared for everyone playing similar decks.
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
To those of you who have been waiting breathlessly for me to report back from my first PTQ, wait no longer!

It fucking sucked. 0-4 before I dropped. I'm fine with losing, but I have very little tolerance for poorly ran events and I swear, nerds not having their shit together seems to be a common theme when it comes to Magic events.

Even though Zendikar has been setting sales records (much like M10 before it), the organizers only expected about 100 people to show up. So they were caught unawares when more than 400 fucking people ended up participating! The thing was supposed to start at 10:00, we didn't start opening packs until 12:30. Didn't have my first match until 1:30!

dap

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »
Compared to Draft is what I meant.

Zendikar is a weird set for limited.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
They expected 100 people at a San Diego PTQ? What the fuck, that's distinguished mentally-challenged. You can get 200 easy in freakin' Omaha, any SoCal / New England PTQ is going to have GP-esque numbers.
hex

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
It seems like just about every event I've attended since I've gotten back into real-life MtG (vs. playing online) last June is just a fucking mess. From the prereleases at my local comic shop to the PTQs, they never start on time, or they have to turn people away due to lack of product, or whatever. There's one guy in San Diego who runs a tight ship at his store but he's only got room for about 20 people.
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #767 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
St. C, come to Kentucky for your Magics.  KentuckyBore will accept you, and our tournaments don't fuck up.
HURR

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #768 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
all this magic talk has gotten me back in the mood for magic again.

For shits and giggles, here is my DCI info: (lol I only ever did 1 event, my first ever. since then, just played with friends)

DCI Number: 59918851

Record:

Composite (as of 2009-10-19)
1598 rating   1 matches   1 events   
Limited (as of 2009-10-19)
1597 rating   1 matches   1 events   
Total (as of 2009-10-19)
1597 rating   1 matches   1 events
XDF

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #769 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
Two stupid questions for my fellow Magic nerds:

1) Is there some kind of official format for playing constructed, but only in the current set? Like, is there a Zendikar and Zendikar only constructed format? Outside of sealed, I mean.

2) Is there a way that the few of us dorks in this thread could play each other at some time? Without MTGO. I hear about this "MWS" but I don't really know anything about it.
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #770 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41:58 PM »
1. There's block constructed, which for Zendikar right now consists solely of the main set but as the two smaller expansions (Worldwake and whatever the third one ends up getting called) come out they will become available as well.

2. Yes, there's Magic Workstation.  Look earlier in the thread for details, or just google it.  I'm too lazy to look it up and get you the link.  I played a couple games with karakand and tehjaybo a couple months ago on it.  It works, just not as smoothly as MTGO.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #771 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »
MWS is alright for playing, but I REALLY love it for decklists.  I'm kind of anal when it comes to a decklist, and MWS lets me print out a really nice decklist complete with percentages and everything on it for whatever deck I put in. 

Also, I'd totally be up for some Standard playtesting, or maybe even a Bore Standard tourney.  It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if there's interest, I'd be more than willing to start it up, maybe even with prizes?
HURR

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #772 on: October 28, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
...if there's interest, I'd be more than willing to start it up, maybe even with prizes?

Count me in!
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #773 on: October 28, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
I'd be down I suppose.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #774 on: October 28, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
That's three.  Can we get at least eight?  Standard decks, preferrably ones you have IRL. 
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #775 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »
Ha, that would be NONE for me since I don't own any meatspace cards anymore.  I've got some MTGO cards, tho.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #776 on: October 28, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
As long as we don't have 8 people mirror matching the most powerful deck in the format, I don't really care.  but personally, I have a standard deck that I like a lot, and I'll be playing that if we get this off the ground.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #777 on: October 28, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm not saying that I'll be playing Jund cascade or anything, but I like to win so expect to see me run something competitive!
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #778 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
There's a nerd shop in town now!  Right before I'm probably moving, of course.  I'm gonna go play in a draft sometime next week, and to brush up I played a Zendikar draft on MTGO earlier today, just a 4-3-2-2.  I drafted the most ridiculous deck ever- THREE Gatekeeper of Malakir, Hideous End, Disfigure, Burst Lightning, Punishing Fire, Inferno Trap and Chandra Ablaze.

...and of course I lost in the final round to a completely stupid Blue-White deck that had Hedron Crabs and double Archive Trap.  I would have won the last game if I had used Chandra's Wheel of Fortune ability, since it would have got at least one (and probably both) of his Archive Traps and that's how he got me in game 3- fucking DECKED ME.  So obnoxious.  Oh well, at least I got three more packs, probably gonna do another draft here in a bit.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #779 on: January 17, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BUUUUUUUUUUUUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Worldwake spoilers, bitches!

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/?page_id=3888

Let me point out some of my favorites so far...

GODDAMN.  Brainstorm for 0.  :drool

Also may I say:
:bow :bow2
WELCOME BACK

And is anyone doing the Extended PTQ thing?  There's one in Lexington coming up next weekend if Kentuckybore wants to meet up there.  Or AnyonenearbyBore.  (It's either Lexington or Louisville, I'm not sure which).  But BillyOfCourse and our other friend are huge into Extended, and have graciously built stuff so simple even I can play it.  So we'll see how bad I get owned.   :lol
HURR