Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3098413 times)

Svejk

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #29520 on: January 28, 2022, 08:11:34 AM »
And that's a screenshot of Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U, not one of the Switch games.
Which makes this even more shameful. :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29521 on: January 28, 2022, 08:33:38 AM »
And that's a screenshot of Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U, not one of the Switch games.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks really good, but there's the whole changing up the character design for something more cartoony (and tiddy).  It also doesn't look as good when played undocked, which is to be expected.

I'm not up on the technical side of things, but although the Switch is more powerful hardware than the Wii U, I assume they have to reduce detail and/or resolution in games to keep the them running smoothly and temperatures down more so than they'd have to on the Wii U?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:43:10 AM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #29522 on: January 28, 2022, 09:02:05 AM »

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks really good, but there's the whole changing up the character design for something more cartoony (and tiddy).  It also doesn't look as good when played undocked, which is to be expected.

I'm not up on the technical side of things, but although the Switch is more powerful hardware than the Wii U, I assume they have to reduce detail and/or resolution in games to keep the them running smoothly and temperatures down more so than they'd have to on the Wii U?
Which is unfortunate, but I suppose I can understand that, if that's the case... I really don't like the step toward Animu that Monolith went with in XBC2 though.   :-\  I expected them to ramp up the maturity look-wise, but it feels like a step back.....  ...except for the ridiculous fun bags.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29523 on: January 28, 2022, 12:19:59 PM »
I know it’s from Xenoblade X. That’s my point. Even on the WiiU a developer(owned by Nintendo) was able to do such a better job.

And Stories 2 dosent just look better because of any technical aspect, it also looks better in a art direction and presentation aspect. It’s a game that achieved a bright and colorful cel shaded look that fit its technical limits. Pokemon looks like bland crap compared to it. Everything looks muddy and the world carelessly put together with clumps of copy and paste geometry. Like some unity shovel ware.

You brought up Digimon Bork. I’d even say Cyber Slueth is more appealing looking then this Pokemon game. Very nice, clean, and colorful visuals with a sleek (but budget) presentation. It looks like a very colorful anime. Acerus looks like it was trying to go for some Fedual era Japanese painting but falls on its ass. Something like Okami has it beat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:57:03 PM by Rahxephon91 »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29524 on: January 28, 2022, 04:22:58 PM »
the town and animations all look really nice. they did a great job realising the mons, giving them personality, nice animations. little details. that aspect is great. there are pockets of arceus that look nice, but yes a lot of the world looks a bit asseous. turns out, it works tho and the game is unique and fun if monster hunter lite x arpg pokemon catching sounds good to you.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29525 on: January 28, 2022, 08:16:10 PM »
The Switch is also an HD console with Monster Hunter Rise, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Ports of Dying Light and the Witcher 3, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter Stories, Astral Chain, and so on.

I don’t think the Switch is the problem.

all of those devs have been working on big 3d mainline projects for decades
Time and budget should be afforded to one of the biggest ips in the world.

Edit-Missread, but your Nintendo and its Pokemon, get help then. You had Monolith help with Zelda( a game that also looks better if only because of the art direction). or a company like Hexadrive, you have no problem outsourcing.  You have unlimited resources.
I'd rather they keep Pokemon simple and dumb so they can spend more time and resources on Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Zelda which I actually care about.

The Pokemon target audience seems to be girl streamers and kiddo's who like cutesy animal things and games with no challenge.
They've been gravitating towards that for a while now, especially on Switch with Pokemon Let's Go and Pokemon Snap as well as the modern Pokemon designs.

If it has a cute Pikachu that's automatically a 7/10 from the crowd that reviews this, add in some servicable gameplay, midi sounds and a gimmick or two and it goes up to a 8/10 or 9/10.

This game is sort of the reverse Elden Ring. If you think the Souls games are too difficult and challenging you can always play around in Pokemon land and press the win button with the other 8 year olds. :idont
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29526 on: January 28, 2022, 09:34:49 PM »
the town and animations all look really nice. they did a great job realising the mons, giving them personality, nice animations. little details. that aspect is great. there are pockets of arceus that look nice, but yes a lot of the world looks a bit asseous. turns out, it works tho and the game is unique and fun if monster hunter lite x arpg pokemon catching sounds good to you.

Just started it and I'm seeing lots of little details like a rolling cloud effect/shandows on the ground, water distortion effects, sand being blown up on the beach, tree leaves and grass blades swaying, etc.  Obviously this isn't going to win awards for best graphics, but it looks nice in motion and it looks nice and colorful.  Some of the textures are pretty bad up close (N64 lolol) though.  Pretty much what I expected- it's not a looker, but it's solid and has a good framerate. 

It also looks pretty clean when docked with the mClassic- it definitely helps with a game like this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:46:02 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29527 on: January 28, 2022, 10:10:44 PM »
I know it’s from Xenoblade X. That’s my point. Even on the WiiU a developer(owned by Nintendo) was able to do such a better job.

Let's stick to Switch and not other hardware.

And Stories 2 dosent just look better because of any technical aspect, it also looks better in a art direction and presentation aspect. It’s a game that achieved a bright and colorful cel shaded look that fit its technical limits. Pokemon looks like bland crap compared to it. Everything looks muddy and the world carelessly put together with clumps of copy and paste geometry. Like some unity shovel ware.

It doesn't look like that at all.  It's simple, but technically sound.  There are also some areas/cut scenes where it looks pretty good for a Pokermom game. 

Acerus looks like it was trying to go for some Fedual era Japanese painting but falls on its ass. Something like Okami has it beat.

Arcerus reminds me of a kids' version of Breath Of The Wild, with a Meiji-era Japanese theme.  If I were a kid, I'd be going nuts over this I'm sure.  I like the more action-RPG aspect of the game...you can even move your character around while the pokemon are battling.  But I kind of wish the whole thing was action-RPG based including the battles.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:16:25 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29528 on: January 28, 2022, 10:21:30 PM »
I mean if that is your idea of looking good then well.....you're clearly going to defend this game and Nintendo no matter what so I guess enjoy your game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29529 on: January 28, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
I mean if that is your idea of looking good then well.....you're clearly going to defend this game and Nintendo no matter what so I guess enjoy your game.

For a Pokemon game on the Switch- yeah, it's not bad.  It has a better framerate than Monster Hunter Stories, too.  I don't know why you think I'm defending it- I just don't think it looks like shit is all.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29530 on: January 28, 2022, 10:29:25 PM »
Buying the game is endorsing Nintendo's incompetence and cheapness.

You have small indie developers that can produce better-looking games with such modern features as voice acting
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:52:01 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29531 on: January 28, 2022, 10:31:17 PM »

:success
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #29532 on: January 28, 2022, 11:01:06 PM »

You have small indie developers that can produce better-looking games with such modern features as voice acting
Buying just about anything from Nintendo is endorsing their cheapness. This one game isn't a special case. :lol

Bork buys more games than just about anyone here. Those indie developers will also get his money.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29533 on: January 28, 2022, 11:02:44 PM »

https://nintendoeverything.com/game-freak-on-why-pokemon-sword-shield-doesnt-have-voice-acting/

In an interview with Metro, director Shigeru Ohmori was asked why voice acting wasn’t included this time around. He pointed to the amount of work that would be needed for recordings due to the amount of languages supported as well as maintaining the idea players have in mind for the different characters.

Ohmori explained:

“There’s sort of two main reasons, so firstly this is a RPG with a whole lot of text that we’re then localising and releasing in nine different languages at the same time. So from a purely practical point of view actually getting that organised and carrying out all the voice recording, the corrections and so on in nine different languages for release on exactly the same day is something that would be incredibly difficult. So, that’s one reason why we haven’t chosen to do it this time around.

But the other reason is one of character image, in the sense of when you play a game, if you’ve got a voice on that character that instantly provides to the player an image, a feel for that character that they don’t generate themselves, it’s pushed on them from the development side. Whereas if we have really flavourful text, for those characters, but no voice the players can kind of create their own image of who that character is as they’re playing. And that’s something we really like to encourage as we’re creating games.”

When the anime voices were brought up, Ohmori added:

“There’s similar linguistic problems – there are some where all of them are the same, such as Pikachu, where that would be fine, but other ones have completely different names across all languages. And another point to consider is that in the game we’re focusing on them as being living creatures, so having them making a sound like a living creature – rather than just shouting out their own name – is quite nice.”

:idont

I can see the thing about the monsters having different names being an actual localization issue, but there's nothing stopping them from having them stay silent or just make growls and whatnot.  Other developers might just have one or two languages and sub the rest, so the thing about nine languages comes off as a BS excuse.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29534 on: January 29, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »
French retailers have started to warn customers that plan to buy a PS5 that Microsoft has bought Activison.

In other news, COD2022 will be the last cross gen COD.
COD 2023 will be next-gen only.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #29535 on: January 29, 2022, 01:52:33 PM »
is the yuffie dlc worth a buy for FF7 remake?
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29536 on: January 29, 2022, 03:59:37 PM »
We've had home consoles for 40+ years and people are still judging games on the "quality" of the graphics?

What next? Are we going to start claiming PlayStation is better than Nintendo because Nintendo is "kiddy"?
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29537 on: January 29, 2022, 04:37:39 PM »
We've had home consoles for 40+ years and people are still judging games on the "quality" of the graphics?

What next? Are we going to start claiming PlayStation is better than Nintendo because Nintendo is "kiddy"?

When did either one of those things stop?
:heh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:dead
[close]
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29538 on: January 29, 2022, 07:20:29 PM »

This is a dumb post. Graphical quality, presentation, aesthetics, art direction, and so on are all parts of the experience. You may not care, but I doubt that. You also miss that this isn’t a discussion built around “ needs to be 4K 120fps”. This is about do the graphics and presentation achieve what the game is going for. Do they help realize the vision and create atmosphere, immersion, feeling, and whatnot.

Xenoblade X isn’t a beautiful game because it has the most amazing graphics. It’s beautiful because Monolith knows how to create scale and realize a world that feels and looks alien while also tangible. The mechs look cool because of good art direction and also good model and texture work. With cool flourishes with animation and particle effects.

Persona 5 is not a technical marvel but is a really visually appealing game. Because of its use of very bold lined cel-shading. The game is stylish thanks to all the flourishes in menu transitions, character cut-ins and so on. Making a game full of personality.

Final Fantasy XIV is really starting to age, but then you have parts like Endwalker's final fight where the modeling work on the boss, it's animation, and just design are amazing and for sure are cool to take in. But part of that game's vibe and personality is shown in little things like the consistent boss intro cutscenes or how well animated boos attacks usually are.

And I’m always surprised that people are confused that in a visual medium people care about these things. People still talk about Black because of its visual aesthetic. Zone of the Enders 2 will forever remain one of the coolest looking games because of its clean semi cel-shaded look and great effects. Bad comic book art would effect the enjoyment of a comic.

So no it’s pretty dumb to say this. Also as if the technical aspect of games is not at all part of the hobby, I mean come on.

If I'm playing a game whose big selling point is this big open world and it looks like complete bland garbage, yeah that's gonna affect the game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:48:30 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29539 on: January 30, 2022, 12:36:09 AM »

This is a dumb post. Graphical quality, presentation, aesthetics, art direction, and so on are all parts of the experience. You may not care, but I doubt that. You also miss that this isn’t a discussion built around “ needs to be 4K 120fps”. This is about do the graphics and presentation achieve what the game is going for. Do they help realize the vision and create atmosphere, immersion, feeling, and whatnot.

Xenoblade X isn’t a beautiful game because it has the most amazing graphics. It’s beautiful because Monolith knows how to create scale and realize a world that feels and looks alien while also tangible. The mechs look cool because of good art direction and also good model and texture work. With cool flourishes with animation and particle effects.

Persona 5 is not a technical marvel but is a really visually appealing game. Because of its use of very bold lined cel-shading. The game is stylish thanks to all the flourishes in menu transitions, character cut-ins and so on. Making a game full of personality.

Final Fantasy XIV is really starting to age, but then you have parts like Endwalker's final fight where the modeling work on the boss, it's animation, and just design are amazing and for sure are cool to take in. But part of that game's vibe and personality is shown in little things like the consistent boss intro cutscenes or how well animated boos attacks usually are.

And I’m always surprised that people are confused that in a visual medium people care about these things. People still talk about Black because of its visual aesthetic. Zone of the Enders 2 will forever remain one of the coolest looking games because of its clean semi cel-shaded look and great effects. Bad comic book art would effect the enjoyment of a comic.

So no it’s pretty dumb to say this. Also as if the technical aspect of games is not at all part of the hobby, I mean come on.

If I'm playing a game whose big selling point is this big open world and it looks like complete bland garbage, yeah that's gonna affect the game.
You know what's a "dumb post"?

When people constantly complain about a game they state they have no intention of playing and their criticism amounts to "it looks bland".

Yes, it's a visual medium, but the sales figures show that the vast majority of the audience don't actually care if it doesn't meet your lofty standards and are perfectly happy with the way it's presented. If you don't like it, then exercise your right to not buy it. No one is forcing you. Go and play whatever boring bland third person shitfest that you Sony fanboys think is great these days.

I'm sick and tired of people whose first question about any game is, "How are the graphics?" I thought we were all intelligent enough to leave that kind of stupidity behind in the 16-bit era. Looks like they are still around and still trot out the same tired old one-liners about Nintendo that have been used since the 1990s.

And I'm always surprised that people are confused that in an interactive medium people care more about how fun something is to play than how the graphics look. People still play Super Mario Brothers because of the amazingly tight platforming and tight controls. Pokemon will forever remain one of the most fun to play games because of the way the game plays and how creative the whole concept was. If those games had shitty gameplay with great graphics, no one would play them today and they wouldn't be some of the most enduring videogame series in history.

No one plays Black anymore and no one is asking for a sequel. The only people who give a shit about Zone of the Enders are just weird people who have a thing for Kojima. Gameplay is king and, in the long run, visual style will never overcome a game that plays well.
Spud

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29540 on: January 30, 2022, 02:02:43 AM »
You know what's a "dumb post"?
Yes your post.

When people constantly complain about a game they state they have no intention of playing and their criticism amounts to "it looks bland".
Welcome to a game forum where people talk about games...And the criticism has been that the world design looks amateurish and devoid of any real personality or feeling. Which yes means "bland", but is kind of a big deal for an OPEN WORLD game.  Meanwhile, your defense is now "its popular!". Wow so deep and nuanced.

Yes, it's a visual medium, but the sales figures show that the vast majority of the audience don't actually care if it doesn't meet your lofty standards and are perfectly happy with the way it's presented. If you don't like it, then exercise your right to not buy it. No one is forcing you. Go and play whatever boring bland third person shitfest that you Sony fanboys think is great these days.
I don't care. I'm on an enthusiast gaming forum, I don't care what average people play. An average person doesn't care about any of the shit people here talk about or have an interest in. And I won't buy it, but I can still talk about it. As an enthusiast Nintendo’s brazen cheapness with this ip and the fact that they are rewarded ticks me off. Also as an enthusiast, it annoys me that we don’t get something that lives up to the true potential of “Pokemon rpg on consoles”. If you don't like it you can ignore it. But at least if you're going to attempt to insult me do it correctly. No one mentioned Sony games, so that's a pathetic ad hominem that has nothing to do with a person propping up things like Xenoblade X or Shin Megami Tensei 5 as games achieving far more on limited tech.
I'm sick and tired of people whose first question about any game is, "How are the graphics?" I thought we were all intelligent enough to leave that kind of stupidity behind in the 16-bit era. Looks like they are still around and still trot out the same tired old one-liners about Nintendo that have been used since the 1990s.
I would think an intelligent person would get that people respond to many different things. Story, graphics, gameplay, a combination. Guess not. Or rather it's just Nintendo fans who have to find defenses for incomptence.

And I'm always surprised that people are confused that in an interactive medium people care more about how fun something is to play than how the graphics look.
Well by your logic you're kind of wrong, aren't you. Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead 2. Sony games. All top-selling games in part thanks to their production values.

People still play Super Mario Brothers because of the amazingly tight platforming and tight controls.
I also play games I grew up with and have nostalgia for. Since I didn't grow up with Nintendo I don't have a built-in bias for them.
Pokemon will forever remain one of the most fun to play games because of the way the game plays and how creative the whole concept was.
I mean the main criticism of Pokemon games has actually been how stale and piss easy the gameplay has been

If those games had shitty gameplay with great graphics, no one would play them today and they wouldn't be some of the most enduring videogame series in history.
People still praise Half Life 2 for its physics, animation, and character modeling. So it's pretty delusional to act like these aren't things people care about.
No one plays Black anymore and no one is asking for a sequel. The only people who give a shit about Zone of the Enders are just weird people who have a thing for Kojima. Gameplay is king and, in the long run, the visual style will never overcome a game that plays well.
Black has a following and plenty of its fans ask for a sequel as it shows up in "underrated games you wish had a sequel threads all the time". Based purely on its presentation. Yes people give a shit about ZoE because they like the style Kojima games bring to the table.

But I know according to you this doesn't matter because they don't sell well.

Gameplay is king.

But God of War sells more than Devil May Cry. Something like Bayonetta bombs.

Almost like there's a lot more to games than that.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:55:52 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29541 on: January 30, 2022, 02:28:15 AM »
Spud

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29542 on: January 30, 2022, 03:04:47 AM »
Then why even post?

Also lol at thinking Pokemon plays well.

I’ll admit I’m being a dick, but that’s because I just find Pokémon’s console output disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 12:41:17 PM by Rahxephon91 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29543 on: January 30, 2022, 07:25:39 AM »
Pokimans is too ez and it looks like a Gamecube game but its probably still fun to play so eh  :doge

If you want a real game go play SMT V again yeah thats kinda bland too but at least it has good music, dick demons and angel tits
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29544 on: January 30, 2022, 09:03:09 AM »
Games can look good even if the technology is a limiting factor but this game just looks terrible overall.
Even if you would upscale it to 4k it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Ports with little effort like Trials of Mana and Dragon Quest look much better than this and so do other Nintendo games.
Does Pokemon Arceus even have any structures or landmarks to discover in the world? Because all I'm seeing from people playing are endless steppes, trees, snow fields and hills.
It seems like a big open world of nothing and I thought we had left those behind us after Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3.

There doesn't seem to be a reason why it looks like this either. It's not like they're putting dozens of Pokemon on the screen at once or render a very detailed world with complex AI.
It just looks like they shipped a beta and called it a day. Not even bothering with any texture filtering or anti-aliasing.

Even their target audience is starting to catch on

The fans seem fine with Nintendo pushing out more and more Pokemon shovelware though.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29545 on: January 30, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
Damn, they got a shiny Geodude.   :o

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #29546 on: January 30, 2022, 09:27:32 AM »
every screenshot I see of it looks washed out as fuck, if that was a deliberate aesthetic choice it's a terrible one :kobeyuck
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29547 on: January 30, 2022, 10:07:47 AM »
Real Gamerz don't care about graphics.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29548 on: January 30, 2022, 10:09:12 AM »
Games can look good even if the technology is a limiting factor but this game just looks terrible overall.
Even if you would upscale it to 4k it wouldn't make much of a difference.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ports with little effort like Trials of Mana and Dragon Quest look much better than this and so do other Nintendo games.
Does Pokemon Arceus even have any structures or landmarks to discover in the world? Because all I'm seeing from people playing are endless steppes, trees, snow fields and hills.
It seems like a big open world of nothing and I thought we had left those behind us after Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3.

There doesn't seem to be a reason why it looks like this either. It's not like they're putting dozens of Pokemon on the screen at once or render a very detailed world with complex AI.
It just looks like they shipped a beta and called it a day. Not even bothering with any texture filtering or anti-aliasing.

Even their target audience is starting to catch on

The fans seem fine with Nintendo pushing out more and more Pokemon shovelware though.
Shut up with your lofty standards. The game is going to sell millions so no one cares.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29549 on: January 30, 2022, 04:40:27 PM »
The HALO TV show drops March 24th

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1487897783516368897

The Witcher was surprisingly good, overall I think TV shows work better for video game IP's than movies.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #29550 on: January 30, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »
Paramount+ though :scust
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29551 on: January 30, 2022, 08:30:14 PM »
Real Gamerz don't care about graphics.
Real Gamerz demand teh grafx be awesome!!1!!11!!
Spud

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29552 on: January 30, 2022, 08:54:53 PM »
Nah, they like them to look apealing.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29553 on: January 30, 2022, 10:41:20 PM »
Blast processing all the way
Spud

naff

« Reply #29554 on: January 31, 2022, 02:49:10 AM »
if the visuals had the production values of the average nintendo team or monolithsoft title on switch people would be losing their shit over this. pokemon doesn't need to incite that kind of fervor to be successful, but it would be nice. does feel innovative by way of melding the ideas of other titles with its own legacy. noone else is really making anything quite like it.
◕‿◕

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29555 on: January 31, 2022, 05:54:38 AM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29556 on: January 31, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »
Yeah, you're not good at this arguing thing.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29557 on: January 31, 2022, 12:33:56 PM »
There are people defending Pokemon graphics? It looks like trash lmao. There's no argument to be had here
fat

Svejk

« Reply #29558 on: January 31, 2022, 02:21:02 PM »
Graphics or no, the problem is people are still willing to pay $60 for their droppings without batting an eye or questioning anything.  They've been groomed to accept and cherish anything with Nintender stamped on it regardless of how many peanuts are found in their turd. It's pretty pathetic. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:39:49 PM by Svejk »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29559 on: January 31, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »

:girlaff
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29560 on: January 31, 2022, 03:08:58 PM »
There are people defending Pokemon graphics? It looks like trash lmao. There's no argument to be had here
No one is defending the graphics. People are saying that graphics are so low on the priority scale of what makes a game good that they don't even matter.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29561 on: January 31, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
Graphics or no, the problem is people are still willing to pay $60 for their droppings without batting an eye or questioning anything.  They've been groomed to accept and cherish anything with Nintender stamped on it regardless of how many peanuts are found in their turd. It's pretty pathetic. 
And people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts for the latest Ubisoft trash and then buy DLC and nfts and then in 12 months do it all over again...and don't get me started on why people are willing to pay full price for janky shit like Red Dead Redemption 2. No amount of pretty graphics can make up for the shitfest that game's controls are.

Some people prioritise pretty graphics and don't care how shit a game plays and some people prefer a game to play nicely and don't care about the graphics. Don't let me tell you which one is right.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29562 on: January 31, 2022, 03:16:15 PM »
nah pokemon looks bad

duh, it's on the Switch
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29563 on: January 31, 2022, 04:09:12 PM »
Oh so that’s the problem, you’re an  an asshole.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29564 on: January 31, 2022, 04:48:58 PM »
Watch out Microsoft and Sony the NYT just snatched Wordle
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1488265418284290053
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29565 on: January 31, 2022, 04:51:08 PM »

Spud

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29566 on: January 31, 2022, 05:10:50 PM »
You can certainly have simplistic graphics but a clean aesthetic - nice color choices, slightly interesting environments, etc - this looks like 'my first Unity 3d game' with N64-level textures and texture repetition.
You have a company like Gust, who probably has a fraction of the budget (and gets maybe 1/100th of the sales) of Game Freak, and they put out a couple of games every year, and they look pretty decent considering their budget/company size/sales potential:

^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29567 on: January 31, 2022, 06:25:32 PM »
No one is defending the graphics. People are saying that graphics are so low on the priority scale of what makes a game good that they don't even matter.

I would agree, if the general game is fun then graphics aren't a big deal. Peoples impressions are that the new gameplay systems and such are very refreshing. I've been watching streams and it seems like the breath of fresh air the series needs
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29568 on: January 31, 2022, 06:31:56 PM »
Why is there an entire page on pokemon graphics.

Pokemon graphics are shit because Pokemon 3d graphics have always been shit and always will be shit. The developers are terrible at 3d graphic skills and while their games keep selling millions they aren't going anywhere.

Also little kids don't care about graphics in videogames. Like at all. You think some 6 year old is going to be "oooh look at that ray-tracing shadow reflection!"?? And with Pokemon kids are the main audience so yeah, nothing's ever gonna change there.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29569 on: January 31, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »

Pokemon graphics are shit because Pokemon 3d graphics have always been shit and always will be shit. The developers are terrible at 3d graphic skills and while their games keep selling millions they aren't going anywhere.

Also little kids don't care about graphics in videogames. Like at all. You think some 6 year old is going to be "oooh look at that ray-tracing shadow reflection!"?? And with Pokemon kids are the main audience so yeah, nothing's ever gonna change there.

Ehh, I dunno. Summer 1989 I was 7 and rented 2 games that were both covered extensively in Nintendo Power that summer - Mega Man 2 and Dragon Warrior. I was freaking out how good Mega Man 2 looked (omg the Guts Dozer) and while I enjoyed it once I learned how to play it, I thought it looked pretty dated (of course not being aware that it was already 3 years old).

Also, I know that Game Freak can do better. Pokemon Sun and Moon I recall looked decent for the platform, attractive use of colors and more inspired locales than an environment that looks taken out of a military simulator running on an early 90s Silicon Graphics computer.

^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29570 on: January 31, 2022, 08:37:54 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29571 on: January 31, 2022, 08:53:29 PM »

Dude you don't even understand the argument.

But whatever, I don't care enjoy your shit Pokemon game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29572 on: January 31, 2022, 08:54:52 PM »

That idiot Patato likes this, but this is sad.

The defense you're backing up is "Nintendo is a shit cheap sake company, but this is acceptable".

But Pokemon games play well so its ok, except they don't.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29573 on: January 31, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
You can certainly have simplistic graphics but a clean aesthetic - nice color choices, slightly interesting environments, etc - this looks like 'my first Unity 3d game' with N64-level textures and texture repetition.
You have a company like Gust, who probably has a fraction of the budget (and gets maybe 1/100th of the sales) of Game Freak, and they put out a couple of games every year, and they look pretty decent considering their budget/company size/sales potential:

No no graphics aren't important and add nothing and when you talk about graphics you are clearly talking about CRYSIS MAX 4k VISUAL and nothing a little bit more nuanced, so I don't know why you would bring up this ugly game.

Bebpo

« Reply #29574 on: January 31, 2022, 09:03:03 PM »
The defense you're backing up is "Nintendo is a shit cheap sake company, but this is acceptable".

I mean it is what it is.

Do you want mountains to move?
Pigs to fly?
Nintendo to turn around and put a bunch of 3d graphic artists on the pokemon team?

These are unrealistic expectations. They just aren't going to happen and people should accept it.

Tasty

« Reply #29575 on: January 31, 2022, 09:50:42 PM »
For me personally, Let's Go + Sword/Shield + BDSP are my personal gaming Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. Part of me is glad these things came out and that I didn't like them, since now I feel totally free from the franchise. I'm not buying these games anymore, but I don't really have the energy to try and convince even one other person how they should spend their cash...

I'm just content to spend my money on what I feel are more worthwhile values, like Monster Hunter Rise. Damn that game's awesome. And I got my fill on Pokemon over the first... 15 mainline entries beaten since the series started. I'm good.

(To be clear I didn't get less on the spectrum - everything got converted to Animal Crossing. :heart)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:56:01 PM by Tasty »

naff

« Reply #29576 on: January 31, 2022, 10:00:10 PM »
giving up before the one that's actually cool  :(

i haven't played a pokemon game since black though so im not sure what horrors you've witnessed
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #29577 on: January 31, 2022, 10:08:54 PM »
giving up before the one that's actually cool  :(

i haven't played a pokemon game since black though so im not sure what horrors you've witnessed

Eh the production values started getting lazier and the excuses typically used to justify Gamefreak projects started running dry IMO. That plus a bunch of obnoxious, unnecessary, sustained genwun pandering which we thankfully seem to be almost completely through now.

I also ended up completing my Gen 1-6 living Pokedex (now in HOME), which fulfilled a giant childhood itch, and I can't really be assed to go catch all the new Pokemon (99% clones of old Pokemon anyways).

Lastly I never got on board with regional forms, and I hate Mega Evolutions and Dynamaxing.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29578 on: January 31, 2022, 10:21:56 PM »

Dude you don't even understand the argument.

But whatever, I don't care enjoy your shit Pokemon game.
Haven't played a Pokemon game since Red. I bought my kids Let's Go Pikachu though.
 :pika

That idiot Patato likes this, but this is sad.

But Pokemon games play well so its ok, except they don't.

LOL rage more fanboy.

Daddy Soyny will put out some more "mature" games that play like shit with nice graphics for you soon. You might even be special enough to get some woke bullshit story thrown in that you can praise for its "oscar worthy script" or some such nonsense.

You know what's idiotic and sad?

An apparent adult raging on the internet about the quality of the graphics in a fucking kids game which they have said on multiple occasions they will never play.
 :rage :mueller :taylor :whatsthedeal
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29579 on: February 01, 2022, 03:03:38 AM »
Did Arceus perhaps start as a 3DS game? It seems to be designed around severe technical limitations.
🤴