Author Topic: ROLL CALL: Who's getting a Wii at launch?  (Read 39120 times)

Tigerriot

ROLL CALL: Who's getting a Wii at launch?
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »
I am!  :D  Only 10 more days to wait.

I'm also gonna pick up an extra Wiimote and nunchuk attachment, along with these.....

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:43:03 AM by Tigerriot »

whiteACID

• RAWR
Re: ROLL CALL: Who's getting a Wii at launch?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
I might get one for xmas
boo

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:45:13 AM »
I count as one negative tally cause im not getting one with a line-up like that. PS3 launch line-up sux too. What happened to third parties making GOOD games for system launches?
o_0

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
Wii
Red Steel
Zelda
Rayman
Monkey Ball or Trauma Center
Wii

Tigerriot

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
I count as one negative tally cause im not getting one with a line-up like that. PS3 launch line-up sux too. What happened to third parties making GOOD games for system launches?
I'd like to know what you would consider a good launch then.  If you like PRG adventure games, Zelda is often considered as good as it gets.  If you like arcade raciing, Excite Truck sounds like it's gonna be very solid.  If you love old skool 2d shooting Metal Slug is da bomb, and this is every freaking game in the series all on one disk! *head explodes*

I'm not saying the Wii launch is mindblowing, but I certainly haven't seen many that were better.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:55:45 AM »
It's a pretty mediocre launch and this is from coming from someone who likes and will eventually buy a Wii.
PSP

Tigerriot

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:02:17 AM »
It's a pretty mediocre launch and this is from coming from someone who likes and will eventually buy a Wii.
I'd like details though.  What would you consider a good launch?  Is it realistic for any console to launch with two or there massive titles?  I mean Zelda is a huge game in both scope, and quality.  Can you recall a launch where a system launched with two titles of that quality?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
Zelda is a GameCube a game, dude. I have a feeling you won't recognize that. I played Excite Truck at E3.  And Metroid Prime as well.  Both fun titles, but not worth buying a $250 console for.

Nintendo will get my money later with either Galaxy or Smash Bros.
PSP

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:08:29 AM »
I wasn't able to get in a pre-order. I'll get one day one at Target or Wal-Mart. I'll check both. Just buying Zelda with it.

Tigerriot

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 11:21:54 AM »
Zelda is a GameCube a game, dude. I have a feeling you won't recognize that. I played Excite Truck at E3.  And Metroid Prime as well.  Both fun titles, but not worth buying a $250 console for.

Yeah, it is a Gamecube game, but does that really matter?  Does that somehow make the game less impressive?  Especially when some of the early impressions have been that the Wiimote actually adds to the experience, rather than detracts.  Also , if you're an HDTV owner the Wii version of the game is widescreen and the Cube version is not.  Thats a big deal to an HDTV owner.

I'm also excited about the virtual console as well.  I've never been a person who dabbled in emulation, so i'm excited about having perfect ports of some classic games stored on a flash drive forever.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »

Yeah, it is a Gamecube game, but does that really matter?  Does that somehow make the game less impressive?  Especially when some of the early impressions have been that the Wiimote actually adds to the experience, rather than detracts.  Also , if you're an HDTV owner the Wii version of the game is widescreen and the Cube version is not.  Thats a big deal to an HDTV owner.

I'm also excited about the virtual console as well.  I've never been a person who dabbled in emulation, so i'm excited about having perfect ports of some classic games stored on a flash drive forever.

Zelda doesn't count as a Wii game.  You should add to the comment to HD users "Yeah, it does widescreen, but don't forget it will look like shitty low rez shit on your HD TVs."

Also, another hardcore Republican Nintendo fan.  Like all the hardcore conservatives are Nintendo fanboys.
serge

Tigerriot

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »
Quote from: TVC 15

Also, another hardcore Republican Nintendo fan.  Like all the hardcore conservatives are Nintendo fanboys.
It was very hard to tell if you were talking about me, or someone else with the way you worded that.

As for me, i'm certainly not a hardcore Repubican.  I can assure you of that.  I'm a bit conservative though.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 11:59:14 AM »
Dreamcast and PSP were my favorite launches.

PSOne, PSTwo, Xbox, X360, all shitty launch titles

Plus Zelda is on Gamecube and id rather have Metal Slug Anth on my PSP thanks.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 12:00:18 PM »
Dreamcast and PSP were my favorite launches.

PSOne, PSTwo, Xbox, X360, all shitty launch titles

I dunno.  I was in a casual mode when PS1 launched, and the visuals of a few of the games sold me.  I had seen nothing like them.  There was a definite wow factor.  Not so much on the other 3 listed consoles.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 12:02:59 PM »
All I actually wanted at the PSOne launch was air combat or whatever it was, most of the other games like shitty ass toshinden sucked.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »
I see nothing on the Wii that's worth $250, mainly because Zelda is available on the Gamecube as well. I simply cannot justify the purchase of a new system in order to play one game; that's what I'd be doing with the Wii.

As Federman said, once some more polished, non-minigame romps such as Mario Galaxy start coming out, I'll be more in tune with Nintendo's song and dance.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »
How many Wiis will Wallmart Supercenter's get?

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 12:24:32 PM »

It's so true! It amazes me greatly how the two things go hand and hand. I can't figure it out.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »

It's so true! It amazes me greatly how the two things go hand and hand. I can't figure it out.

Ganon is arab

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
I still haven't seen a kiosk of the fucking thing!

I'll just stick to playing my DS, most likely - that's been really fun lately
dap

MrAngryFace

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 12:29:04 PM »
DS is teh awesome. Im rediscovering my PSP thanks to EEE, Lumines II, and Powerstone :D
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »
Bu bu but the PSP has no games!

Tigerriot

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
I see nothing on the Wii that's worth $250, mainly because Zelda is available on the Gamecube as well. I simply cannot justify the purchase of a new system in order to play one game; that's what I'd be doing with the Wii.

As Federman said, once some more polished, non-minigame romps such as Mario Galaxy start coming out, I'll be more in tune with Nintendo's song and dance.
Well, consider this.  Zelda is out at launch, and it's supposedly going to be an 80 hour monster game.  Mario Galaxy should be out some time in the first half of next year.  What's the difference if you buy the Wii at launch with Zelda, vs buying it next year and likely paying the same price then?  It's really unlikely they're gonna reduce the price for at least a year, and maybe even longer.  Along the way i'm sure there would be game or two that you'd want to pick up.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 12:47:43 PM »
Gonna get a few from costco as presents for the kids. And at least 2 for the houses. Day one sons of bitches. I just hope the costco bundles include the different games that they did online.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »

Well, consider this.  Zelda is out at launch, and it's supposedly going to be an 80 hour monster game.  Mario Galaxy should be out some time in the first half of next year.  What's the difference if you buy the Wii at launch with Zelda, vs buying it next year and likely paying the same price then?  It's really unlikely they're gonna reduce the price for at least a year, and maybe even longer.  Along the way i'm sure there would be game or two that you'd want to pick up.

The question for me is "can I justify the purchase of this system right now?" With the Wii in its current state, the answer is no. If Zelda was just a Wii game, of course I'd get it.

This is the same thing that happened to the 360. It had a weak launch lineup that didn't justify the price, although some people bought it because of the potential. Well, I don't buy products for potential, I buy them for results. Right now, the 360 is worth every penny with Gears of War out and Lost Planet on the way. The Wii? Outside of Mario and Zelda, there isn't any game on it that I absolutely omg must have. I thought I'd feel that way about RE: Wii, but it looks like RE5 is going to be the true "next" Resident Evil game...and it's not on the Wii.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 01:15:51 PM »
i am, this isnt exciting at all though

will mostly only play GameCube games on it in the beginning

and ill rent Wii games, seeing as impressions from most of them seem pretty average

the one that interested me a lot was Metal Slug Anthology, but its PS2-bound

ill rent Red Steel and Excite Truck with interest though

Zelda im going to play this on GameCube for the superior controls... dont feel like wielding a wand for this
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:23:52 PM by Mondain »

wave-E

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »
I've a gamestop preorder.  Zelda and Trauma Center for now, as I'm not sure Trauma Center won't be in short supply a month from now.  I'll probably get Rayman sometime soon after.

I can't think of a launch lineup to rival it.  I'm excited about half a dozen games, and that just doesn't happen at launch.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:19:35 PM by wave-E »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 01:30:05 PM »
id troll you buy im trying to foster GOOD FEELINGS.

Enjoy Happy Feet and Open Season :)
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »

Mario Galaxy is a late 2007- early 2008 game.  It wasn't started until about 6 weeks before E3.  It was kinda tossed together, hence it using an old, but retextured Mario model.
serge

Himu

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 02:04:40 PM »
I am!
IYKYK

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 02:34:48 PM »
Come next Saturday at 8 AM, I will be standing in line in Richmond, KY at the Wal-Mart Supercenter.....

waiting for the Nintendo Wii quite impatiently.

That's okay though, because an all-night Wii-athon will commence afterwards, as I will play Wii Sports and Zelda: Twilight Princess until my eyes bleed.
HLR

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 02:49:05 PM »

Mario Galaxy is a late 2007- early 2008 game.  It wasn't started until about 6 weeks before E3.  It was kinda tossed together, hence it using an old, but retextured Mario model.

Link?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
Red Steel and Excitetruck are honestly awful -- I'm not sure why they got any coverage at E3. Once the novelty of waggle wears off they'll hopefully be excoriated as the crap they are.

Zelda will be awesome, waggle or no. Still: PASS. Gamecube version FTW!
duc

TVC15

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »

Link?

My source is a reputable one.  I trust him, but I doubt he'd like to be outed.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »
Im sure TVC is referring to the voice-star of the hit animated film The Polar Express.

o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 03:28:42 PM »

Sounds like my plan. I keep going back and forth on Zelda though.

I played Excite Truck the other day. Yea, it was pretty mediocre.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 03:29:10 PM »
My source is Bz's ass.  I stare into the brown eye and the wisdom stares back at me.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 03:30:36 PM »
Like a magic 8 ball, i get it!
o_0

wave-E

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
Red Steel and Excitetruck are honestly awful -- I'm not sure why they got any coverage at E3. Once the novelty of waggle wears off they'll hopefully be excoriated as the crap they are.

Zelda will be awesome, waggle or no. Still: PASS. Gamecube version FTW!

Have you played either?  I played excitetruck at a wii party in September and I thought it was rather compelling.  Maybe not Waverace 64, but I think it has more depth than first glance may suggest.  Red Steel was conspicuously absent, but I've heard a few people suggest it controls rather well and that most journalists are just horrible at videogames.  I can buy that second bit, so I've hopes the former is true.

I could honestly go for some old school Goldeneye-esque splitscreen, so even if I don't pick it up sometime I hope that's compelling.  We'll see next Sunday.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 03:52:16 PM »
Split-screen is nothing like Goldeneye aside from the visuals and frame rate.

Excitetruck is just a third-rate Burnout with janky novelty controls. I'm not being specious, here; this is a game that really WOULD be much better with an analog stick, and even then, it'd be a C-list title on any platform.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
I believe Drinky has had hands-on time with most of the Wii titles.  Excite Truck is a lot of fun, but it's not a system seller.

I think Drinky likes to screw with you guys by being evoking the waggle wand's name in vain, but there's a little bit of truth to every joke.
PSP

Tigerriot

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »
Quote from: TVC 15

My source is a reputable one.  I trust him, but I doubt he'd like to be outed.

Don't out me now good buddy, okay?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »
I'm not saying you can't make a good wagglegame, either; Trauma Center actually sounds pretty solid. But there ARE genres you don't wanna touch with even a ten-foot wagglestick, and arcade racing is one of 'em.

I know TVC's source, and he's very legit. Well, actually, all of TVC's sources are legit -- so which ever one it is, he won't be blowin' smoke up yer wagglehole.
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »
Split-screen is nothing like Goldeneye aside from the visuals and frame rate.

Excitetruck is just a third-rate Burnout with janky novelty controls. I'm not being specious, here; this is a game that really WOULD be much better with an analog stick, and even then, it'd be a C-list title on any platform.
I agree with Drinky on his Excite Truck sentiments.
AMC

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »
If I can just walk into a store and buy one with some component cables without a pre-order, I think I just might. I don't even want one that bad, but with Zelda and the price point, it's a great impulse buy.
}Ö{

Tigerriot

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2006, 04:21:10 PM »
I'm not saying you can't make a good wagglegame, either; Trauma Center actually sounds pretty solid. But there ARE genres you don't wanna touch with even a ten-foot wagglestick, and arcade racing is one of 'em.

I know TVC's source, and he's very legit. Well, actually, all of TVC's sources are legit -- so which ever one it is, he won't be blowin' smoke up yer wagglehole.
I would have to agree that arcade racing could be dicey with the wiimote.  However, I have faith that Nintendo will make the best of it, and i'm willing to give it a shot.  However, I can honestly say I wouldn't touch a third party racer on this console.

wave-E

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
Well, as someone who has spent a some time with excitetruck, I'm not like to listen to someone who calls the controls "Janky".  They weren't, at all.  The controls were incredibly fluid, I really can't under emphasize that.  I know some people had trouble with the calibration.  It was perfect me and others though, and I'm sure those that find it too loose or tight would get use to it with the slightest of play.

And have you played Red Steel multiplayer?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2006, 05:19:53 PM »
Yeah, Excite Truck handled pretty well.  I liked it.
PSP

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2006, 06:49:01 PM »
I got used to the controls by the second race, but it was still boring.

Give me Burnout with a control stick any day. Not to mention that the graphics aren't even as good as the latest Burnout installments on Xbox and PS2.
AMC

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2006, 01:26:14 AM »
I won't feel easy until these two titles' mediocrity manifest themselves on the HDTV to me. :P

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2006, 02:01:33 AM »

Yeah I don't really believe that.

I'm getting one at launch. Not sure why, considering how much the launch line-up here sucks.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »
Nintendo fanboy.

:supergay
AMC

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2006, 02:06:01 AM »
Me?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2006, 02:21:29 AM »
Yes. You were one of the people on the GC Zelda side. You gave in.  :hump
AMC

Himu

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2006, 02:34:05 AM »
This is the first time in my years of gaming I will get a launch console. Even more history breaking is the fact it will be the first time I get a Nintendo console before the competition.

IYKYK

Tigerriot

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2006, 10:19:54 AM »
This is the first time in my years of gaming I will get a launch console. Even more history breaking is the fact it will be the first time I get a Nintendo console before the competition.

I like Nintendo just as much as the next guy.  I'm pretty excited about the Wii.

With that said I think people would have to be crazy to not buy a 360 before buying a Wii.  Unless you're just a Nintendo fan only. 

The 360 just offers so much more overall right now.  Games like GRAW and Gears are just so much more visually impressive than anything before them on consoles.  Soon Forza 2 will be out.  There is just a lot to do on a 360 right now, and I just don't think Wii can even compare, at least at launch.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2006, 01:38:52 PM »

I like Nintendo just as much as the next guy.  I'm pretty excited about the Wii.

With that said I think people would have to be crazy to not buy a 360 before buying a Wii.  Unless you're just a Nintendo fan only. 

The 360 just offers so much more overall right now.  Games like GRAW and Gears are just so much more visually impressive than anything before them on consoles.  Soon Forza 2 will be out.  There is just a lot to do on a 360 right now, and I just don't think Wii can even compare, at least at launch.

I agree. A purchase of a 360 right now would make more sense than the Wii. I'm sorry, but I can't buy a system to play one game, which is already available on a system I already own.

Gears of War, GRAW, Splinter Cell DA, Oblivion, Call of Duty 3...that's a lot of great games. And with Lost Planet/Crackdown/Blue Dragon on the way and Halo 3 on the horizon, the 360 is the system to get. In fact, I'd say it's the system to beat. Right now it just has far more appeal than the PS3

MrAngryFace

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2006, 01:58:05 PM »
Next Gen has kinda sucked so far. I mean 360 is the best of them cause of its headstart and I barely play the thing.
o_0

Tigerriot

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
Next Gen has kinda sucked so far. I mean 360 is the best of them cause of its headstart and I barely play the thing.
I think that has a lot more to do with your diminishing joy for playing videogames than it does for the games available for the system.  Face it, you're a crusted old gamer who talks about them more than he plays them.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
360 is the only one that had a smart plan for the console and is delivering on it.

It still needs a lot more games to play...but that is going to take a shitload of time.