Author Topic: Firmware 2.4 OUT NOW, omfg theres a CLOCK  (Read 26164 times)

cool breeze

Re: Firmware 2.4 vids coming tonight
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
Can you do it if you're not friends with the person?

I don't know, but at least right now on the PS3 you can go and check recent played against peoples profiles.  I don't know if there will be a website like XBL has.

Link me to your PSN profile online

Oh, you mean from a computer? I don't know.

Home is going to have personalized websites and all that stuff, but not yet.

I am getting a bit tired of every answer to a missing feature being "wait for Home!"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:28:16 PM by swaggaz »

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »

Firmware v2.40 FAQ
Eric Lempel in PlayStation.Blog
Today, 6:04 PM
Hi again! It’s great to see the positive reaction to the unveiling of system software update v2.40. We can’t wait for you to finally go hands-on with XMB access in-game and the Trophy system – and it’s less than 2 days away. Not surprisingly, a number of you have posed questions both here and on other forums. Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.40 as well? If not, can we expect to see this feature added in the future?
We are evaluating the opportunity to offer voice chat, but for this update, we wanted to focus on text messaging as the key priority for communications that our users have asked for.

Can you use the web browser in game?

No, you must exit the game before browsing the internet.

Will In-Game XMB come up during playback of PS2 games, Blu-Ray discs, and DVDs?

The XMB is an exclusive feature for PS3 game titles. Accessing the XMB during gameplay was the top request from our users, which we focused on for this update. However, we continually engage PS3 owners for feedback and will evaluate the opportunity to offer XMB access during movie playback in the future.

Can we go to the display settings and change anything there in-game (resolution, input, etc)?

No, you must exit the game before changing these settings.

Will it be possible to change in-game the sound output?

Yes, sound output changes are supported.

Will we be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store while in-game?

No, but you can view your downloads in progress.

Will we be able to stream music (either via media server or USB drive) for custom soundtracks or is it relegated to music stored on the HDD?

Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We’d also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It’s up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones).

Does 2.4 enable cross game invites? Will it down the line?

No, cross-game invites are not available in this system software update. We are evaluating opportunities to expand on the new features delivered in 2.40.

Will trophies be mandatory for all games release here on out?

We are working with developers to ensure that Trophies are supported across the board in the future.

Where is each player’s trophy stat info held? I am going to upgrade my hard drive and I don’t know if the trophies will still be on my account if I earn some and then get a new hard drive.

Trophies will be attached to users’ PSN ID. Trophy data needs to be synchronized to the online account on PSN to be transferred to the new PS3 system.

Will the patch automatically allocate unlocked trophies according to your saved files or would you have to do it again?

No, Trophies aren’t retroactive.

Can we view PSN profiles/Trophies from a PC using a Web browser? Will there be an API for web developers to access the PSN data, so online profiles can be created?

We’re evaluating these opportunities to expand where Trophies can be experienced.

Can you only compare trophies with friends that are online?

As long as a friend has a PSN account, you can compare trophies with them regardless of their online status.

Is there a limit to how many trophies the devs can put set by Sony?

There’s not a limit on number of trophies, but there’s a value assigned to each trophy. Developers must balance out the trophies that are available to stay within an overall value based on whether the game is considered large-scope or small-scope. Essentially, a user that has unlocked every trophy in one game would have the same level as a user that unlocked every trophy in another title, all titles (depending on scope) have the same overall impact on a users’ level.

Will new games have a cool little icon on the back saying “trophy compatible?”

We’re currently working on how Trophy support will be messaged to the consumer on our software packaging.

When you get a trophy, does it make a noise?

Currently, no.

What is Eric’s favorite cheese?

Mozzarella

Once again, we will continue to evaluate opportunities to enhance the PLAYSTATION 3’s system software throughout the console’s life cycle. Consumer feedback has contributed greatly to the contents of Firmware v2.40, and continues to be appreciated. Don’t forget, this Firmware will be available for download on July 2nd.

Narag

« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
heck yeah trophies!

The firmware thread on GAF is larger than the Diablo 3 announcement thread. :-X

Thread is missing like 16 pages as the first one was closed due to console warriors :gloomy
DMC

cool breeze

« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
Some more shit about 2.4:

-In Game XMB only for PS3 games.  No PS1, PS2, DVD, Blu-ray or anything like that.  Lame.  Later they may patch it in.
-Voice messages in game coming later
-Can't use the store or internet while in game (why even have the icons then?)
-Custom soundtracks are fucked up.  Music has to be on your hard drive, not flash or streaming.  Not all games support it.  Can be patched in to any existing game or future game easily.
-Cross-game invites coming later.
-Working on making trophies mandatory for all games released from this point on.
-Trophies aren’t retroactive.
-Evaluating idea of website to see trophies.

Custom Soundtrack fiasco is lame.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
if they leverage their relationship with Skype to use skype voice conferences as the PS3's voip chat XBL is toast.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »
Skype on Ps3, yes please  :(

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »
The firmware thread on GAF is larger than the Diablo 3 announcement thread. :-X

GAF ARE NOT GAMERS
pyh

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »
Some more shit about 2.4:

-In Game XMB only for PS3 games.  No PS1, PS2, DVD, Blu-ray or anything like that.  Lame.  Later they may patch it in.
-Voice messages in game coming later
-Can't use the store or internet while in game (why even have the icons then?)
-Custom soundtracks are fucked up.  Music has to be on your hard drive, not flash or streaming.  Not all games support it.  Can be patched in to any existing game or future game easily.
-Cross-game invites coming later.
-Working on making trophies mandatory for all games released from this point on.
-Trophies aren’t retroactive.
-Evaluating idea of website to see trophies.

Custom Soundtrack fiasco is lame.

Wait, no voice messages in game?

Who the fuck wants to type?!

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
dash isn't available when playing xbox 1 games so ps1/2 are understandable but movies?

cool breeze

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »
even when PS3 gets that i wonder how much the HDD installs will bite it's ass? :/

Depends on when developers stop using it as a crutch.  Right now the multiplayer games featuring it are Haze, Lost Planet, MGO and GTA4 (If I missed any, be free to speak up).  Hopefully it can be limited, but yeah, it might be a problem.

Wait, no voice messages in game?

Who the fuck wants to type?!

...me.  I actually never really use voice messages for either PS3 or 360.  They should add it in quickly for those who want it.  They also need to include that SOCOM headset with PS3s sold from now on.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:01 PM »
GT5P and HSG5 I think?

Well wait, you can't do private games in GT5P anyway and you can't talk in HSG5 so they don't count!

:bow PSN :bow2

Who needs XBL now?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
I'm not sure what the deal is, but it does seem for whatever reason HDD installs are becoming more popular

More popular and yet, some games don't really pass on what should be the positive aspects of installing to the HDD.

Developers should be looking at streaming content instead of breaking them up into levels and relying on the HDD to load up assets as quick as possible. Simply because, with the 360s DVD drive, the increased load times on the PS3 don't feel leaps and bounds over the 360. Though, the 360 does have atrocious loading times in some games (Lost Odyssey, Dead Rising etc)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:48:27 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Tigerriot

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
"looking for opporunities" - the time was prior to launch so all this shit was mandatory. clusterfuck total. As someone said, it's like they were shown XBL, they wanted the same functions, but they didn't 'get' it.

no cross invites? jesus H corbett. Maybe in 2009, the new year of the playstation.

You suck at trolling.  Try harder.

patrickula

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »
No streaming of custom soundtracks is some sad shit, it's pretty much useless without streaming in my book.
I was also expecting that you could use the XMB during movies, it seems weird that that's left out.

cool breeze

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
Burnout Paradise getting Trophies and is retroactive, so you don't need go through again to get them all.  You also can't cheat and download a save.  Potential for old games to also be retroactive is also good.

[youtube=425,350]858vIfKgz30[/youtube]

Tigerriot

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
Burnout Paradise getting Trophies and is retroactive, so you don't need go through again to get them all.  You also can't cheat and download a save.  Potential for old games to also be retroactive is also good.

Somehow I knew they were full of shit when I read them saying "trophies will not be awarded retroactively" based on game saves.  The dumbasses didn't even know the facts about their own update.  This is just another example of how out of the loop certain divisions of the Playstation team are with each other.

So yesterday they post on the playstation blog "No trophies will be rewarded based on games you've already played".

Today they post an article from the Burnout Paradise team saying "trophies will be rewarded based on your current game save".

:dur
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:26:50 PM by Tigerriot »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
4 pgs for a firmware thread?  How disgraceful for EB gamers. 

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
haha im pretty hyped for it now ;)

I already have R6V and Resistance trophies ;)

Jansen

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
That 2.4 XMB kills the X360's Sling Blade.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/ps3-firmware-2-40-the-good-the-bad-and-the-belated/

-You can, for example, message a friend that you are currently playing Resistance and would like them to join you, but there's no option to send any sort of game invite. That functionality will instead be up to developers to build into their games.

-Sony confirmed that it is not possible to initiate a private voice chat and keep your friend with you across games as on Xbox Live.

-The ability to stream your own music off the HDD during gameplay is a feature of 2.40, but only works in games that have been designed to utilize it.

Sounds pretty half-assed to me. At least the trophy system looks cool.

oh lawd you can only stream music off of the hdd and no cross game private chat? what about cross game invites?

i could go and watch the videos but i don't wanna

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »
okaaay...so this is the skeletal structure of the in-game XMB we were all hoping for.  Maybe next year.

cool breeze

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
what?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »
How do x game invites even work? Are you hosting a game and invite someone or can you be anywhere to invite someone?
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »
How do x game invites even work? Are you hosting a game and invite someone or can you be anywhere to invite someone?
you can be anywhere

Jansen

« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »

you don't need to be host. just be in a lobby (or match if it allows join in progress) and invite one of your friends online in any game to join you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:00:47 PM by Wicked Laharl »

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
...and the obvious truth is spoken by dcharlie

psn has zero chance of matching xbl at this point
it didn't have these features at launch, and most must be patched into old games
which is code for "never gonna happen"
萌え~

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
:bow xfag emperor dcharlie :bow2

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:21:45 PM by Viz »
萌え~

Tigerriot

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
No cross game invites is Sony missing the whole fucking point.

Well, it already seems quite apparent that the Xbots have their war cry for the rest of this generation.  You're gonna have to hold on to that ONE reason for Xbox Live's $50 a year price tag from now on.  :lol

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »
that's just scratching the surface

a big one you forgot is mandatory demos of every xbla game, unlockable versions of the full game really

I wish psn had that

oh and you dont have to install the demos for fucks sake

nitpicking little things like that will show a vast x360 advantage
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:55:23 PM by Viz »
萌え~

duckman2000

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2008, 09:54:45 PM »
Maybe if Sony started charging for online play they might be able to afford more than one member of staff working on their firmware updates and OS design.

The PS3 UI shits all over the Dashboard crap though, so I guess that one dude just kicks so much ass that no else dares work with him.

I see Warhawk is going to have retroactive trophies. Sort of cool, although how many people have actually played that game?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
Maybe if Sony started charging for online play they might be able to afford more than one member of staff working on their firmware updates and OS design.

The PS3 UI shits all over the Dashboard crap though, so I guess that one dude just kicks so much ass that no else dares work with him.

I see Warhawk is going to have retroactive trophies. Sort of cool, although how many people have actually played that game?

That's one of those games I consider during dry spells.  before I remember I have TF2 on my PC.

duckman2000

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »
I thought it was pretty good, but the beta had so many issues that it was hard to form a real opinion of it. I loved dive bombing with cluster bombs though. Other than the freezing, it felt very solid, technically.

That's one of those games I consider during dry spells.  before I remember I have TF2 on my PC.

:wtf I honestly can't think of two MP games with a shooter base that have less in common with one another.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »
hey, i don't have to download this bullshit before i watch a blu ray, do i

i'm about to pop in Batman, and if i have to sit through 30 minutes of updating first imma be a mad motherfucker
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
OT, but how is the BR version of Batman (I assume we are talking about Batman Begins)?

cool breeze

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »
Begins isn't out yet I think.

If it is, then I haven't got it in the mail yet, which is bullshit.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
OT, but how is the BR version of Batman (I assume we are talking about Batman Begins)?

no we are talking about the one true batman

sup

duckman2000

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm coming round to this way of thinking, though both are shit from different perspectives. The settings menu on PS3 is an absolute cesspit, and just slinging new options underneath each item, without really thinking about placement, such as the Google link, is gonna end up a big mess. Well, it already is, but I do like the spped and minimalist look of the thing.

It definitely needs better sorting and sub-folder options especially for media, and that's one of those things that sound so basic that it's amazing that it's not available. I only recently realized that I could sort my video clips using folders, but that required changing the "album" setting on each video. :wtf The whole PS3 experience has been littered with these types of shortcomings, and the cynic in me feels that they are withholding features simply so that they can then appear progressive when said features are added.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:18:21 PM by duckman2000 »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
I wish I'd known about the shitfuck folders before I upgraded my PS3's hard drive for no reason.

Why can't they just put PSP features in the fucking PS3

cool breeze

« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2008, 11:46:17 PM »
The update is up if anyone cares to download it.

Why can't they just put PSP features in the fucking PS3

Like the Google search bar?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
nah, not really
duc

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2008, 11:52:30 PM »
What the fuck am I gonna do with that

Gimme skype and folder sorting and a clean XMB and online better than a competitor.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »
This is like Christmas, but better.

::)

cool breeze

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »
I sat on my ass, pressed X, and waited.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
ZOMG LEMME TXT YOU
萌え~

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »
sho nuff says there is a clock.

FUCKING FINALLY.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
awesome now my ps3 will be fun to use!

oh wait no its still the same machine with no games
itm

AdmiralViscen

Re: Firmware 2.4 OUT NOW, omfg theres a CLOCK
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
clock

cool breeze

« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »
This is so loose.  I try playing a track during Resistance and it said playing music isn't supported.  That needs to be fixed.

Narag

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Is the trophy stuff out for this too and are they all listed like xbox's achievements are for the locked ones?
DMC

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
Is the trophy stuff out for this too and are they all listed like xbox's achievements are for the locked ones?

Trophies are in.

I selected Trophies on my Games list and it just says 'there are no trophies'

pilonv1

« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »
GTA4

"Music content cannot be played during use of this game"

um

:rofl

No custom soundtracks for MGS4 or Warhawk either
itm

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2008, 12:11:31 AM »
GTA4

"Music content cannot be played during use of this game"

um

No custom soundtracks for MGS4 or Warhawk either

Or Tekken DR

pilonv1

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:47 AM »
BIGGEST LOUL OF THE DAY

In-game XMB and messaging works on both MGS4 but NOT during Blu-ray :(

itm

cool breeze

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »
Probably nothing is patched yet.  It has to be done through individual games.

btw, if you have SSDHD, the patch with trophies (I think) is also out.

BIGGEST LOUL OF THE DAY

This is nothing new.

« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
Pain uses trophies, which is awesome. Pain gets played a lot on the weekends with friends.
野球

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:51 AM »
Probably nothing is patched yet.  It has to be done through individual games.

btw, if you have SSDHD, the patch with trophies (I think) is also out.

BIGGEST LOUL OF THE DAY

This is nothing new.

Great so now I have to download 20 title updates, assuming they bother.

Trying SSHD now, does this mean it'll have custom soundtracks?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »
OMG updating!!! :hyper
©ZH

MCD

• Fastest selling shit