Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318300 times)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: The Bore Anime Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 28, 2009, 02:26:46 AM »
its pretty awesome yeah
萌え~

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #661 on: January 28, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »
welcome to the nhk is great and depressing

maybe its just me but that music sounded awesome.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #662 on: January 28, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
Gundammit, I just got an email saying that shipment of my copy of G-Gundam Collection I had been delayed again. Either you have it or you don't, people.  :maf
©@©™

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #663 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
Gundammit, I just got an email saying that shipment of my copy of G-Gundam Collection I had been delayed again. Either you have it or you don't, people.  :maf

you know what to do:

#t=38s
萌え~

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #664 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »

you know what to do:

#t=38s

This would also be appropriate:

dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
If the situation doesn't improve soon, I may be forced to watch Gundam Seed instead.  :(

i'm addicted to hajime no ippo

holy shit

I was thinking about watching some of that. Are you watching the new series or the original one?
©@©™

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #666 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
Just marathoned Blassreiter, made me rage so fucking hard.

GONZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm gonna kill someone if they fuck up The Tower of Druaga season 2.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #667 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »
Finally finished watching Mezzo DSA. It's an okay action series, but is severely lacking in what made the original Mezzo so awesome: crazy action scenes with slick animation. It's clear the budget for the show wasn't all that high because they could only afford about three for the whole series.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

started watching Tower of Druaga season 2 even after promising myself not to watch it now, I AM WEAK.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

cool breeze

« Reply #669 on: February 10, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
I've been watching Hetalia Axis Powers.  It's pretty much just explaining WW1 and WW2 if each country was a a person, half the time this is done with a lot of generalizations (Italy constantly talks about pasta and a wuss, Germany a stiff).  It's just so bizarre to watch.  Each episode is only 5 minutes long and only 3 are out so far.

Himu

« Reply #670 on: February 10, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
i'm addicted to hajime no ippo

holy shit

I was thinking about watching some of that. Are you watching the new series or the original one?

both
IYKYK

Tucah

« Reply #671 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
I started Ippo a while ago but got distracted and never finished, might start to get into it again.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #672 on: February 10, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »
same

i only got like 3 episodes in
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #673 on: February 10, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
Finally got to check out the first Vampire Hunter D movie. It's pretty good stuff what with the macho main character, vampires, post-apocalyptic wasteland and all that. On the other hand, the animation really hasn't held up all that well, even compared to other movies and OVAs that came out around the same time. It's got some problems with things happening with little to no setup or explanation. It's certainly not enough to ruin the show, but I don't think it's a timeless classic. Now I need to go back and rewatch Bloodlust.
dog

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #674 on: February 10, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
Gonna be watching the Full Metal Alchemist and DBZ remakes or whatever they are when they come out.

Dragon Ball Z :rock
Drunk

Draft

« Reply #675 on: February 10, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
The best part of Vampire Hunter D is when the doctor turns into a vampire, and he rips off that girl's crucifix, and then her boobie pops out.

Spoilers, I guess.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #676 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
The best part of Vampire Hunter D is when the doctor turns into a vampire, and he rips off that girl's crucifix, and then her boobie pops out.

Spoilers, I guess.

Awesome spoilers, more like.

That's pretty much 80's anime in a nutshell, though so it shouldn't come as surprise to anyone. There's really no real reason for that to happen, but it's the 80's so whatever let's just do it. In the end you get random nudity, a guy's head explodes, and there's some post-apocalyptic wasteland full of biker gangs.

Why did the 80's have to end?  :'(
dog

ch1nchilla

« Reply #677 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »
Finally picking up Michiko to Hacchin now (in HD  :hyper).  :) Hopefully it'll be finished by morning.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:48:29 AM by ch1nchilla »

Himu

« Reply #678 on: February 12, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
great rumbler did you ever get to watch the best anime ever? Kenshin: Trust and Betrayel? I didn't see your impressions of the best anime ever.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #679 on: February 12, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »
great rumbler did you ever get to watch the best anime ever? Kenshin: Trust and Betrayel? I didn't see your impressions of the best anime ever.

I watched it a little over a week ago. My opinion is this: It's an extremely well-made period drama, but I feel that it suffers a bit from overlong monologues and dialogues about the meaning of life and the purpose of life. I can appreciate it for what it does, and it certainly does what it does very well [which is basically to be a 50's-60's era samurai tail in animated form], but I think it's been a bit over-hyped. However, I also think this is something worth revisiting a year or two years down the road to see how a second viewing holds up.

The music in it was amazing, by the way.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #680 on: February 12, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
You still watching Hajime no Ippo, himu? I got the first three volumes this week.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #681 on: February 13, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »
Sure am.

I'm like on ep 51 now.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #682 on: February 13, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »

I watched it a little over a week ago. My opinion is this: It's an extremely well-made period drama, but I feel that it suffers a bit from overlong monologues and dialogues about the meaning of life and the purpose of life. I can appreciate it for what it does, and it certainly does what it does very well [which is basically to be a 50's-60's era samurai tail in animated form], but I think it's been a bit over-hyped. However, I also think this is something worth revisiting a year or two years down the road to see how a second viewing holds up.

The greatest anime...overhyped???

I dont' recall any "lessons about life" or anything except maybe in the last ep, and the bad guy is mainly talking about women being weak and how it's his job to protect the shogunate or some shit. The only monologues I don't like in the anime is when Kenshin is blind, deaf, delirious at the end. "Otsu. Should we go to Otsu?" wtf are you talking about, Kenshin? Also, a lot of the monologues should be taken with historical context. Like, for example, Katsura's thing about his master. If you look it up, apparently that's one of the reasons he started the Choshu clan rebellion in the first place. There's a lot to the anime that you'd otherwise wouldn't understand without knowing the historical context. Another big one is Shinsengumi and Okita.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #683 on: February 13, 2009, 12:50:27 AM »
have you seen Volg yet? is he not the best?

Himu

« Reply #684 on: February 13, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »
Yeah Volg was the last fight.

Naw, I prefer Miyata and Sendou.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #685 on: February 13, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

The greatest anime...overhyped???

I dont' recall any "lessons about life" or anything except maybe in the last ep, and the bad guy is mainly talking about women being weak and how it's his job to protect the shogunate or some shit. The only monologues I don't like in the anime is when Kenshin is blind, deaf, delirious at the end. "Otsu. Should we go to Otsu?" wtf are you talking about, Kenshin? Also, a lot of the monologues should be taken with historical context. Like, for example, Katsura's thing about his master. If you look it up, apparently that's one of the reasons he started the Choshu clan rebellion in the first place. There's a lot to the anime that you'd otherwise wouldn't understand without knowing the historical context. Another big one is Shinsengumi and Okita.

It's a bit overhyped in my opinion, yeah. I contantly see it at or near the top of a lot of the top ten animes lists floating around. It was great, but I probably wouldn't put it in my top five, not yet anyway.
dog

Himu

« Reply #686 on: February 23, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
I finished Ippo last week

I'm now watching the new series

Ep6 of New Challenger makes Ippo look like a fucking bitch. He's a boxer. He should be a man's man, but he's a lame ass momma's boy.
IYKYK

Draft

« Reply #687 on: February 23, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
I finished up Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex a week ago.

Have been working through Second Gig over the last week.

I think that I prefer the first season to the second, so far. 2nd Gig seems way darker and more serious than the first season. Sort of like the movies. Which I don't prefer. I like the lighter tone of the comic. But one big advantage to second gig is that it seems to remember that it is anime, and dudes get fucked up. Lots more blood and exploding body parts.

There's also some nudity  :-*

Himu

« Reply #688 on: February 23, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »
SAC is amazing

movies suck

didn't know the manga was lighter in tone
IYKYK

Draft

« Reply #689 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »
SAC is amazing

movies suck

didn't know the manga was lighter in tone
It's the lightest tone of them all, by a large degree. The Major in the comic is vastly different from any of her anime representations.

In the comic, she's hard drinking, constantly broke, fights with Arimaki all the time, and for a side job she records and sells videos of her sexing lesbians.

Himu

« Reply #690 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »
:lol

I need to read this!

How many volumes are there and is it particularly long?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #691 on: February 23, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
:lol

I need to read this!

How many volumes are there and is it particularly long?

Get the first manga from Dark Horse, don't even bother with GitS2: Man-Machine Interface.

Overall, though, I thought the manga was the weakest of the three iterations, with the movies just barely edging out the two series. It's all good, though, except Man-Machine Interface.

By the way, I finally got around to watching the manliest manime ever made: Fist of the North Star. Gallons of blood, people getting ripped apart left and right, tons of awesome fights, huge guys that are over 30 feet tall, and fighting all the time. The ending's a real cop-out, though.
dog

Draft

« Reply #692 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »
It's just the one paperback. Maybe a couple hundred pages?

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-2nd-Masamune-Shirow/dp/1593072287/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235424160&sr=8-8

And WTF, reading the description, it looks like they put the sex stuff back in. I was going to bait and switch the cartoon perverts with the temptation of anime lesbians, and then laugh because Dark Horse axed those two pages in their US release. Seems like it's back in and my copy of GITS is now out of date.  :'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #693 on: February 23, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Dark Horse put out reprint back in 2004 that added the sex scene back in, but it's still in left-to-right format and features the original translation.
dog

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #694 on: February 23, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
I love me some motoko
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #695 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »
I've only seen bits and pieces of Fist. Where'd you get it, Rumbler?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #696 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
I've only seen bits and pieces of Fist. Where'd you get it, Rumbler?

I picked up a used VHS copy for $4 from Half Price Bookstore, which is currently the only way to get it. HOWEVER, there's a new DVD release coming out in May.

On the other hand, the janky audio and visual artifacts kind of add to the experience.
dog

Draft

« Reply #697 on: February 24, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
You can buy region free DVDs of the Fist movie. I own one. It has the awesome English dub from the early 90s.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #698 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

I think that I prefer the first season to the second, so far. 2nd Gig seems way darker and more serious than the first season. Sort of like the movies. Which I don't prefer. I like the lighter tone of the comic. But one big advantage to second gig is that it seems to remember that it is anime, and dudes get fucked up. Lots more blood and exploding body parts.

The backstory on Saito is so worth going through it though (or one could just skip to it). The whole refugee drama sort of bogged everything down, I didn't really care for either viewpoint, I just wanted more techno jargon.
:9

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #699 on: February 24, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
I have the rare Streamline Pictures DVD for Fist.  Wonder if it's still worth anything.  Their old dubs were the best.  As nonsensical as they were, I'll take their version of Akira over any other one released.

EDIT- WTF, it's gone!   :lol  I hope another family member has it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:54:55 PM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Draft

« Reply #700 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »

The backstory on Saito is so worth going through it though (or one could just skip to it). The whole refugee drama sort of bogged everything down, I didn't really care for either viewpoint, I just wanted more techno jargon.
I just watched that one last night.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #701 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
I finished watching the Gundam OVAs (0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team).  Pretty awesome stuff. Now more G Gundam. :rock
©@©™

« Reply #702 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Bandai Visual USA needs to hurry the fuck up and get Char's Counterattack and Gundam F-91 out on Blu-ray in the states...
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #703 on: February 25, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
I'm getting ready to watch some Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust this weekend. I took a quick peak at it to refresh my memory of what it's like and WOAH! is it ever awesome as hell. Somebody needs to get out a Bluray of this ASAP.
dog

Himu

« Reply #704 on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »
I saw that and was disappointed. =/
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #705 on: February 26, 2009, 12:22:44 AM »
I saw that and was disappointed. =/

Well, I watched the original and was disapointed...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
by how dated the animation was. Really hasn't aged well at all.
[close]
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #706 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »
wait, is himuro dissing bloodlust? wtf

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #707 on: February 26, 2009, 12:36:53 AM »
Seriously. Bloodlust is awesome and feels like a much more complete and cogent work than the original, which is still pretty cool in its own right.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #708 on: February 26, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »
Bloodlust has two of my favorite scenes in any anime.  The first is when D catches the arrow as his horse stands up; second is when the sick dude goes spirit laser on the monsters.

Himu

« Reply #709 on: February 26, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
I'm not dissing it. It was good, but I haven't seen it in years.  I don't remember much.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
AP Police OVA. It came out in 1990, so it basically takes the sum total of the 1980's and packs it into three 30-minute episodes.

[youtube=560,345]lVfqJ9Oh_wo[/youtube]

One of the episodes is even inspired by Robocop!
dog

Beezy

« Reply #711 on: March 13, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »
NARUTOOOOOO :o :hyper :omg :dur :elephant :bow2

Lafiel

« Reply #712 on: March 13, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
Armored trooper votoms - 15 episodes out of 50 watched so far, and it's pretty awesome, main character = bad ass, and i love the setting of the second arc it reminds me of 8th ms team. :o

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: March 13, 2009, 04:31:32 AM »
AP Police OVA. It came out in 1990, so it basically takes the sum total of the 1980's and packs it into three 30-minute episodes.

[youtube=560,345]lVfqJ9Oh_wo[/youtube]

One of the episodes is even inspired by Robocop!

Bubblegum Crisis spin-off, too!
ど助平

« Reply #714 on: March 13, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
Armored trooper votoms - 15 episodes out of 50 watched so far, and it's pretty awesome, main character = bad ass, and i love the setting of the second arc it reminds me of 8th ms team. :o

I like you.

More people should watch Votoms. It's a great 80's mecha show, much more hard nosed than a lot of the material that came out during that time. The PS2 game that Yuke's released in 2007 is brilliant, too.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: March 13, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »

I got the first 13 episodes on DVD a few months and watched the first episode, but then it went back into the pile and I forgot about it. That's not really anything knew though, I've got a lot of shows that I've started and probably won't finish anytime soon. Still, this is one that I'd like to go back to sometime and dig into some more.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #716 on: March 16, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
More people should watch Votoms. It's a great 80's mecha show, much more hard nosed than a lot of the material that came out during that time. The PS2 game that Yuke's released in 2007 is brilliant, too.

YAY on the vidjogame.

The mecha design on VOTOMS is some of my favorite, evar, evar.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #717 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »
I just finished Michiko & Hatchin. I really liked it, nice ending. Tomorrow I'm gonna marathon the rest of Casshern Sins

Casshern
Boo

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #718 on: March 23, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
i was going to watch major but the episodes i downloaded were in french

FRENCH

the bastards
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #719 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
I just finished Michiko & Hatchin. I really liked it, nice ending. Tomorrow I'm gonna marathon the rest of Casshern Sins (Image removed from quote.)

Casshern (Image removed from quote.)
Yeah, Michiko was really cool. I'm gonna go back to Casshern also. Gundam, Michiko, Soul Eater and Rideback are all ending in the next 2 weeks, so I have nothing left to watch. :(