Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184176 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #21300 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
I still think there was room for an entertaining future war terminator film that didn't suck but....

Quote from: Entertainment Weekly
Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

:dead

Whoops, we accidentally made a sequel to Leon: The Professional instead of Terminator. What other franchise-saving ideas you guys got?
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #21301 on: October 29, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »
I still think there was room for an entertaining future war terminator film that didn't suck but....

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

Whoops, we accidentally made a sequel to Leon: The Professional instead of Terminator. What other franchise-saving ideas you guys got?

...tits?
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21302 on: October 29, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »

dog

cool breeze

« Reply #21303 on: October 29, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
i dont think i've ever seen a more unanimously panned *hypothetical* storyline than this one. *maybe* mass effect 3.

surprisingly it's probably the last terminator film.  it was something like: John Conner dies and they put his skin on a friendly android, and that android went on to do all the legendary shit talked about in the previous movies.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21304 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
This series is so done :neogaf

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I think the Terminator farted, all the humans are making stinky faces.  :lol
WDW

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #21305 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:24 AM »
John Wick kicks major ass.  It ain't perfect (probably not the best idea to make its first action scene its best), but there's loads of very well directed/performed action scenes and a just about right dramatic/absurdity to its tone.  Its an awful lot of fun.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #21306 on: October 30, 2014, 06:03:34 AM »
I didn't.  It's not a direct continuation I don't believe. 
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21307 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
Its not. And the first is horribly underwhelming. Skip it

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21308 on: October 30, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
A SyFy original.
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21309 on: October 30, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
WOW

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21310 on: October 30, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
I sense a meme!

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #21311 on: October 30, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
jk guys those were from our paintball team building weekend we have a real movie to announce we swear
vin

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21312 on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
  :badass
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21313 on: October 30, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »
©@©™

Barraco Barner

« Reply #21314 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
John Wick is strong.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21315 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »
Birdman is not a disappointment per se, its actually pretty dang good, but I was hoping for better.  As a showbiz satire its not exactly a masterwork, but as a backstage dramedy its very strong.  Micheal Keaton gets the long overdue chance to lead a significant film again and he just friggin kills it here, in fact the acting all around is so damn good (Ed Norton is predictably awesome in this) that it goes a long way towards papering over the flaws in the satire (Twitter jokes that were stale years ago, superhero movie jokes that kinda suck).

And even when the writing falters a bit the film just looks so marvelous, filmed in nothing but long takes stitched together to simulate a single, unbroken (great looking) shot (like Hitchcock's Rope), the device itself lends urgency and weight to the performances themselves.  Much actual theatrical performances that the film is itself about staging, the actors and actions can breathe, and can be bracing in so many ways.  Its a nifty way to make a movie about theater while still making an actual movie.  For a movie that is consistently and literally stagebound, you could never make the accusation itself of it.

Seeing this brought back fond memories of Micheal Keaton's actually quite similar Game 6, which is also about a troubled make-or-break theatrical production being steered by Micheal Keaton.  I think I might have liked that film better.  But this is still pretty good.

Steve Contra

« Reply #21316 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
Is Interstellar like 4 hours long?
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21317 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Is Interstellar like 4 hours long?

169 minutes.
dog

Steve Contra

« Reply #21318 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
Close enough.  So glad I skipped this for Korean food :lawd

Also making a space movie that's longer than 2001  :what

And the same length as the original Solaris :neogaf
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:49:34 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21319 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
But the original solaris is so damn good

« Reply #21320 on: October 31, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »

Good movie that I never want to watch ever again.

So glad I'm no longer in my early to mid 20s and determined to buy every single Criterion released. Boy was I dumb.
野球

Steve Contra

« Reply #21321 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
I know, but that was Tarkovsky working from Lem.  2001 was Kubrick from Clarke.

Interstellar is from the director and writer of The Dark Knight Rises
vin

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21322 on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »

Good movie that I never want to watch ever again.

So glad I'm no longer in my early to mid 20s and determined to buy every single Criterion released. Boy was I dumb.
Yeah I got over that as well.  Someone breaking into my house and stealing my 500 dvd and Blu Ray collection was one of the best things that ever happened to me.  Home insurance ftw

I know, but that was Tarkovsky working from Lem.  2001 was Kubrick from Clarke.

Interstellar is from the director and writer of The Dark Knight Rises
:rofl  Point taken

« Reply #21323 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
There was a point my mid to late 20s where I looked at all my DVDs and Blu-rays and was like "I've never watched 2/3 of these, what am I doing?"

Ended up donating a ton to the Goodwill and now I buy at most 5 Blu-rays a year.
野球

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21324 on: November 01, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
The Housemaid 1960- this is a classic of Korean cinema which I hadn't yet seen and I absolutely loved it.....until the studio mandated "it was all a dream" ending  But if you ignore the final few minutes, it's a great little domestic horror film about family which destroys itself (the housemaid is nothing more than the catalyst until the end).

The Cub / Welp - this is a Belgian horror film about a bunch of cub scouts who go camping in the woods but find that they're not alone.  Kind of goes hard in some places without being excessively gory.  The structure is very different so you won't really know what to expect.  I didn't find it scary at all but I really liked it.  Another horror film for kids (like the previously mentioned Mercy).  Very well structured ending.

The Babadook - fuck yes.  Horror film about a single mother who is haunted by a dark presence in her life.  V good.  Good acting, good mythology, great atmosphere aided by some wonderful cinematography
Tonya

« Reply #21325 on: November 02, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
Eric, have you seen the remake of the Housemaid? My wife and I watched it a while back, the ending veers nto some crazy Lynch-ian territory.

Watched The Obvious Child last night. Really enjoyed it. Cause nothing says quirky hipster romcom like abortions. I actually thought they handled the subject in a very respectful manner.
野球

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21326 on: November 02, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
New planet of the apes; very boring.  Best part was James Franco's picture with the ape. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21327 on: November 02, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
Eric, have you seen the remake of the Housemaid? My wife and I watched it a while back, the ending veers nto some crazy Lynch-ian territory.

Watched The Obvious Child last night. Really enjoyed it. Cause nothing says quirky hipster romcom like abortions. I actually thought they handled the subject in a very respectful manner.

I am actually watching it now.  The dude is crazy predatory in the remake, but in the original it was more mutual and a bit more gradual.

I really liked Obvious Child.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21328 on: November 02, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »
The Housemaid 2010.  I like the characters a lot more in this version, but i think the relationship between the main male and the housemaid were far better in the original.  I don't think I liked the end.  It seemed weird for the sake of being weird.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21329 on: November 02, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
Halloween III

What this movie needed was the Esoteric Order of Dagon. If it had had fishmen instead of Irishmen and robots, it would have been a lot better. The bad guy was too blasé about the whole thing, like "oh, it's just this pagan thing we have to do for some reason, I dunno".  As a High Priest of Dagon, his motivation would have been more clear. Also it would have been easier to forgive the abrupt ending that cops out of going full apocalyptic (a fairly common Lovecraftian trope).
©@©™

« Reply #21330 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »
The Housemaid 2010.  I like the characters a lot more in this version, but i think the relationship between the main male and the housemaid were far better in the original.  I don't think I liked the end.  It seemed weird for the sake of being weird.

The ending came out of left field and was crazy for crazy's sake.
野球

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #21331 on: November 02, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
Halloween III

What this movie needed was the Esoteric Order of Dagon. If it had had fishmen instead of Irishmen and robots, it would have been a lot better. The bad guy was too blasé about the whole thing, like "oh, it's just this pagan thing we have to do for some reason, I dunno".  As a High Priest of Dagon, his motivation would have been more clear. Also it would have been easier to forgive the abrupt ending that cops out of going full apocalyptic (a fairly common Lovecraftian trope).

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21332 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Halloween III

i wish i could just read the original script by nigel kneale
Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #21333 on: November 02, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Houseboat starring Cary Grant and Sophia Loren was actually really interesting, words like: associative branding; regressive gender equality; mimetic intertextuality; suit pyjamas. All apply to Houseboat.

There are also a surprising amount of 'wise-guy/obvious mafia' cameos. Like a noticeable amount, they just appear for no apparent reason too. The past and context I guess.
:{]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21334 on: November 02, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
Someone say dagon?

I made a gif of the infamous face rip scene that ended up circulating around tumblr for awhile. Up until a year or so ago I would still see it pop up lol

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #21335 on: November 02, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
That's pretty much the film  Ricky from the trailer park would make if he was given infinite money to use.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21336 on: November 02, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »
Dagon was a good movie, A+ face rip too.

I like the part where the main guy is trying to rent a room in Spanish and he's like "Rento el roomo???"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:42:03 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #21337 on: November 02, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
dagon was pretty cool, and legit creepy when it needed to be. gives me hope that a good shot at the dunwich horror might happen.

actually i'm kinda surprised an anthology-type series of his work hasn't been picked up by hbo/cable. seems like it would be a good fit for that format.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21338 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »

Robo Vampire....
Tonya

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #21339 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
Maps To The Stars

Bleh. Cronenberg is officially art-house George Lucas. He's gotten older and with that, I feel, more comfortable and less active as a director. This whole movie is a string of medium-close shots of people talking. It's somehow even more dull than Cosmopolis was. Crazy that this is what the director of cool body horror and crime dramas has turned into.

Like, fuck. I just wanted to watch the bathhouse fight scene from Eastern Promises and weep.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #21340 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:51 AM »
I just saw The Room for the first time in a little indie theater with my gf and some of her friends.

It was... an experience.
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21341 on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
I just saw The Room for the first time in a little indie theater with my gf and some of her friends.

It was... an experience.

Now play the game:

dog

cool breeze

« Reply #21342 on: November 05, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
Interstellar

preface: I have no problem with exposition in Inception.  Interstellar has SO MUCH exposition for everything.  granted, I'm a nerd way too invested in space stuff, and person I saw it with didn't have that problem, and whatever.  to me it felt like every time something cool was happening, it's followed by an explanation.  as it is I enjoyed it, and the imagery and music were incredible.  but I wish there was version that trusted the audience more.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also the two robots were awesome
[close]

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21343 on: November 05, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
I wish to echo the previous post on Intersteller.  But its such an ambitious, and even sometimes overreaching film that I didn't essentially mind that it over explains things on occasion, and a few of the theatergoers I saw the film with left the film clearly befuddled, so maybe telegraphing the punches wasn't a bad choice either.

I haven't seen a blockbuster that clinical and was willing to grapple with big sci-fi ideas, and yet so soft hearted since, well... Inception.  Yeah, Inception with less dream gunfights and more astronauts, that's about right.  Good film, getting to see a film projection of it was pleasure (looks good man).

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21344 on: November 05, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Yeah I know plenty of people that were confused by Inception.  Don't underestimate the average moviegoer 

cool breeze

« Reply #21345 on: November 05, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
I wish to echo the previous post on Intersteller.  But its such an ambitious, and even sometimes overreaching film that I didn't essentially mind that it over explains things on occasion, and a few of the theatergoers I saw the film with left the film clearly befuddled, so maybe telegraphing the punches wasn't a bad choice either.

I haven't seen a blockbuster that clinical and was willing to grapple with big sci-fi ideas, and yet so soft hearted since, well... Inception.  Yeah, Inception with less dream gunfights and more astronauts, that's about right.  Good film, getting to see a film projection of it was pleasure (looks good man).

yeah, I guess it's the reality of making a big budget blockbuster.  and it lets Nolan do stuff like releasing a 70mm version.  it's why I'd like a director's cut (which nolan doesn't seem to do) that can clean up the film like the later versions of blade runner. 

I came off way more negative than I am.  it is the one big sticking point for me.  most of what I like veer into spoilers, and technically it's still not out.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21346 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »
Yeah I know plenty of people that were confused by Inception.  Don't underestimate the average moviegoer

When I saw Inception in theatres there was a very audible "What?" from at least a third of the audience at the ending.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21347 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
okay, I've got a more coherent review for Interstellar.

Contact + Inception X Danny Boyle's Sunshine - 2nd half of Danny Boyle's Sunshine = Interstellar.

quality wise around those films but not any better then them (well, maybe Contact).

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21348 on: November 06, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
All those movies are pretty fucking awesome so SCORE

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #21349 on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
I watched some European movie about Carlos the Jackal. Outside of the frontal nudity it wasn't too bad. I think it's called Carlos. It's on netflix.
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #21350 on: November 06, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »
The miniseries?  It's pretty fucking awesome.
vin

« Reply #21351 on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »

So that's a thing now. I guess.
野球

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #21352 on: November 06, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
cool. bring on the teaser.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21353 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
Loooong plane flight, so I watched:

The Lego Movie: EVERYTHING IS AWESOME. Liked it all. Not a perfect movie, but still really great.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: I think this is the fourth time I’ve seen it, and I still love it. It’s hard to love a blockbuster action movie on a 10-inch screen, but this one makes it just fine somehow.

Rush Hour 3: Jackie Chan! Hiroyuki Sanada, MBE! Chris Tucker! I should have liked this movie. I did not. There’s stupid, and then there’s “slapping your dick in the audience’s face stupid.” This was the latter.

Battle: Los Angeles: I’ve rented and returned this movie a couple times, unwatched; this was the last chance I’d ever be willing to try and sit still for it. A noisy, jerky-cam revisiting of Independence Day through a Paul Greengrass filter.  Aaron Eckhart looks like he had a couple of years where he wanted to be a big hollywood leading man actor. He doesn’t have the charisma for it. Then again, neither does Jeremy Renner, so what do I know?

Appaloosa: Ed Harris and Aragorn are a pair of itinerant lawmen who go up against Jeremy Irons with a weird accent and Lance Henrikson. Renee Zellwigger and her previous, cute face show up to make life interesting for the males. This is a sparse, economical production which succeeds, but never much beyond its modest reach. The audio is really the only disappointing aspect of the production, with the mix being uneven, and the tinny, echoing nature of any interior dialog scenes. Ed Harris also directed as well as starred. He might have also been in charge of audio.

Demolition Man: This movie is hampered by a 10-inch screen, but is still otherwise every bit as AWESOME as it ever has been. Maybe even more so. I did notice that some of the melee action shots are overly edited to the point where it’s hard to see anything other than Snipes doing Bruce-Lee-style finishing poses. Also, did anyone else notice Jack Black playing a mook in Dennis Leary’s underground hobo gang? He’s in there.

Tasty

« Reply #21354 on: November 07, 2014, 01:26:47 AM »
Reviews #10 to 19 here.

20. The Silence of the Lambs

Great movie. Terrific writing, acting, and tension. Of course, everyone knows how amazing the exchanges with Lector and Clarice are. Even knowing what they were going in, they were still great to me. The pain that Jodie Foster displays when recounting the lamb story was able to shake me to my core.

5 / 5
[close]

21. Hannibal

Decent sequel. It's unfortunate Jodie Foster didn't return, the movie would have felt quite a bit different with her as Clarice. But Julianne Moore does a good job. Anothony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter is great as expected, but something feels off here. It might be because he's shown walking around more, or maybe because he's older, but something felt a little off to me. Just a small thing for me personally. His speech is fantastically on-point and it was great hearing him talk as Lecter some more.

What I appreciated is the movie took its time showing Lecter at all. He's built up and then introduced right when he should be. And then it takes even longer for him to interact with Clarice, and it's over a phone call. The movie nailed the build up to their reunion.

One thing that really dates the movie is the crappy half-assed "slow-mo." But it's not actually filmed in slow motion, it's just a normal camera and when played back the frames are left on screen for longer than 24 a second. This gives it a very choppy and amateur effect, which is a shame because the production design otherwise is great and has a very grand, operatic feel.

The gore was... wow. This movie is famous for one scene in particular, but from the gunfight with a baby five minutes into the movie you know it's going to show the real shit. I originally blamed the original director Jonathan Demme for stepping away, but after watching the movie I understand his given problems with the gore factor.

Verner was an interesting villain. Absolutely disgusting on every level, a foe so irredeemable that you root for his demise from his first introduction. And when it comes, it's amazing.

The movie succeeds most at the interplay between Clarice and Hannibal, but some of the other elements feel a little sloppy. Still, a worthy sequel to The Silence of the Lambs.

4 / 5
[close]

22. The Arrival

I should have researched this movie as it's not horror or suspenseful at all. It feels like a less-actiony, less cerebral, more mystery-ish Total Recall.  I didn't mind Charlie Sheen here, although him portraying an obsessed nerd is funny in retrospect. The effects are... bad. Bad bad bad. About as bad as 90's CG aliens can be, and that's pretty bad. The practical effects for explosions and mini black holes and what not are serviceable.

The plot is decently structured, and it feels like a pretty fresh take on the alien invasion formula. There's shades of Invasion of the Body Snatchers combined with a contemporary worry of global warming. The movie didn't waste my time, but I'm not thrilled having watching it either. It also felt a bit too long (almost 2 hours.)

2 / 5
[close]

23. Mulholland Drive

But seriously, I knew it was going to be weird, but... wow. I need to rewatch this like 8 more times, I feel. The movie is touching and hopeful and finally crushingly depressing. The direction is way above what I feel comfortable commenting on, it's on another plane that I recognize as good but can't yet verbalize why it is so at this point in my life. The editing, the writing, it's all fantastic. And on top of all that, the acting sells the entire thing. This is easily Naomi Watts' best roll (that I've seen) and she nails every aspect to her character. The movie wouldn't be nearly as effective if Watts was just 1% off, but she isn't. She's perfect.

But yeah...

5 / 5
[close]

24. V/H/S: Viral

What a waste of time. If The Blair Witch Project is how to do found footage right, V/H/S as a series (and Viral especially) show how to do it very, very wrong.

Let me back up. I was very excited by V/H/S when I found out about it two years ago. However, it let me down. The idea of an anthology series is something that the horror genre keep coming back to (Creepshow, Tales from the Crypt, The Twilight Zone, American Horror Story, ABC's of Death, etc.) so when I heard it was being combined with my beloved found footage subgenre, I was ecstatic. The trailer was also very interesting and hinted at a blend of grim exploitation and supernatural snuff.

But in watching the original V/H/S I realized a fundamental problem with this idea: the "build up, tear down" of found footage just doesn't work when compacted to 15-20 minutes. Let alone that many of the shorts in the series are stretching credibility with why they're all found footage. But introducing an all new cast of characters every 15 minutes, knowing we'll only know them for 15 minutes, and after introductions happen only having 5 minutes before the obligatory big, bombastic "finale" of the short leaves... well, only 5 minutes for tension and world building. And that leads to shitty, non-scary, schlocky horror. My final indictment of the original was that the "wraparound story" was filled with some of the most dislikable characters ever - which was the point, but that just meant I was rooting for their deaths which sucked the horror out of what could have been an otherwise eerie (if cliche) setup.

Many consider V/H/S 2 worse than the original, but I actually liked it more. The wraparound story was far better, and in general I think the shorts did a slightly better job of building things up and adding actual tension. The standout short (Safe Haven) is generally recognized as the best short of the first two movies, and I agree with that. But it also had an obligatory bombastic finale, which I don't recognize as being necessary (or preferable) for a horror movie.

Enter V/H/S: Viral. The previous movies had over-the-top, explosive endings (almost entirely contrary to the very idea of "horror"), but this movie has that in basically every minute of every short. I hesitate to even call this "horror." It's just blood-coated schlock (okay, that describes many many many actual horror movies too, haha.) But every short is noisy and frenetic and over the top. Some people might like that. The problem is that the shorts themselves aren't even good excluding that.

The nadir of this series so far has to be the skateboard short Bonestorm, the ending of which rehashes Safe Haven and the rest of which is just... stupid. On top of all that, the acting is absolutely putrid (actual line, delivered in a monotone at the end: "Wow, we just killed a bunch of fools" after the main characters have killed like 30 people.) The editing is possibly the worst I've ever seen in a movie, and that's including online one-off shorts. If you can understand what the fuck is happening in the last 10 minutes and who's doing what, you deserve an award. Shove in a bunch of nonsensical bullshit ("oh hey why don't I just whip out a gun that I didn't mention before now and turn this game into a bad ripoff of Resident Evil") and I was just waiting for it all to end. No real payoff other than the hoof of some demon. Oh wow, so glad we waited 20 minutes for that.

The other two shorts are decent, but not scary. The first (Dante the Great) is actually really enjoyable, but it's more like an action thriller than horror. Yeah, the cape is occult, but the movie felt like a low-budget ripoff of Now You See Me. The second short (Parallel Monsters) is a neat idea, and the editing was pretty neat, but the premise is something a seventh grader would come up with and it devolves into laughable schlock by the end.

Apparently there was a fourth short, Gorgeous Vortex, about an organization that hunts serial killers, but it's been cut from all the non-festival showings of the movie. While I'm not really hopeful of its quality, especially since the description makes it seem action-y, I'm disappointed it was cut since the movie ends really abruptly without it.

Finally, the wraparound story here is 100% noisy, frenetic, action-y, and nonsensical. I feel like the wraparound story for this series should be a "reprieve." The shorts all end on such bombastic notes that when you cut from that to a bombastic wraparound your brain has trouble realizing you've switched. At least, mine did. On top of that, the movie ends on a fart. Oooh, let's be mysterious. Give me a break.

1 / 5
[close]

7 more to go.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #21355 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
Good stuff.

You're impressively wrong about Parallel Monsters though. It slowly builds up an atmosphere of wtf'ness REALLY effectively. And the punchline was great. Or 'neat'.

That said, you like Lovely Molly and Kill List so there is that.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #21356 on: November 07, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
Talking of Lovely Molly, I watched Exists, which is actually not that great. Found footage, big foot. Willow Creek was better.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21357 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »
Maps To The Stars

Bleh. Cronenberg is officially art-house George Lucas. He's gotten older and with that, I feel, more comfortable and less active as a director. This whole movie is a string of medium-close shots of people talking. It's somehow even more dull than Cosmopolis was. Crazy that this is what the director of cool body horror and crime dramas has turned into.

Like, fuck. I just wanted to watch the bathhouse fight scene from Eastern Promises and weep.
Yeah shit was disappointing. Dude is fucking lazy now.
reckt

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21358 on: November 07, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
Watching Inception again before I see Interstellar tomorrow. I dont care what you say its an impressive blockbuster. Sure it has some hammy dialogue, thin character development, tons of exposition and a final setpiece that is disappointing in comparison to the rest of the movie. But it has some ambitious visuals and plotlines. Its a feat that it was made at all and that it was as successful as it was being an original IP and not having 3D.

Tasty

« Reply #21359 on: November 07, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
Good stuff.

You're impressively wrong about Parallel Monsters though. It slowly builds up an atmosphere of wtf'ness REALLY effectively. And the punchline was great. Or 'neat'.

That said, you like Lovely Molly and Kill List so there is that.

Yeah, Lovely Molly was pretty decent. I don't think I've ever seen Kill List though.

I liked Parallel Monsters but it needed a lot more time to actually build things up. It was neat trying to figure out what was wrong in the other universe, but that lasts all of 8 minutes before the penis monsters get whipped out