Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4181405 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #23220 on: September 26, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
There's always this weird focus on who is going to sing it and it usually boils down to "my favorite artist should sing it, not some popular singer who makes shitty music!" Seriously in the GAF thread there were people demanding Radiohead do the song. Seriously?

Commanding, firm yet smooth voices always result in good Bond themes.

It's almost like a blues song. You have the structure, now just get the feelings right and you can't miss.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #23221 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
Finally got around to seeing It Follows

lives up to the hype. unsettling and dripping with the best atmosphere.
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23222 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »
To me, examples of people who would do a Bond theme well:

Sharon Jones

Martina Topley-Bird

Beth Gibbons

Lera Lynn

I'd love to see a return to the 60s pop sound for the theme, like You Only Live Twice. Gibbons, Lynn, and Bird would be great at that. Whereas Jones would be great for a more booming, Goldeneye type song.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23223 on: September 27, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »
sharon jones and the dap kings

:lawd
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:22:47 AM by toku »

Bebpo

« Reply #23224 on: September 27, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Goodnight Mommy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't have kids, the movie.
[close]

Tasty

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #23226 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
Sicario - This was in competition at Cannes? It's way overhyped. It's still pretty good, but overhyped. Performances are good around the board (with Benicio being pretty great). There are some good, tense moments, but not much momentum to keep you interested, especially in the first half. There's one scene that has some good photography, but overall the movie doesn't look particularly special. It uses a lot of nice aerial photography, which would have been impressive a few years ago, but now it's not as neat of a trick.  6/10

Goodnight Mommy - Was that supposed to be a twist? I can't even tell. Also, Red Cross people in Austria are pushy assholes. Not particularly noteworthy outside of some nice photography. Still, there was a scene that made at least 3 people leave the theatre, so it has that going for it. I kinda have a soft spot for foreign horror, so my score may be inflated a bit.  5/10
serge

Tasty

« Reply #23227 on: September 27, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
Is Goodnight Mommy on VOD or something? Not playing anywhere around here.

TVC15

« Reply #23228 on: September 27, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
It's playing in like 3 places around here, so I guess it's a limited release. I saw it in an art house-y theatre.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #23229 on: September 27, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
Noooo, don't say bad things about Sicario!  I'm about to go see it after seeing Goodnight Mommy last night :|  Don't want two disappointments in a row.  I really liked Prisoners and Enemy, so I want this to be good!

Yeah my problems with Goodnight Mommy were that it was very slow crawl and that I figured out the plot twist before the halfway point and so it was just kind of slow and boring watching it move forward at a snail's pace.  It's not bad, but it's the kind of movie if I watched at home I'd be multi-tasking and doing something on the ipad while watching.

And yeah it was just playing at the local indie theater for me.

TVC15

« Reply #23230 on: September 27, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
Don't get me wrong: Sicario is good. I was just expecting a contender based on the word of mouth. There's nothing there that hasn't been done better elsewhere.
serge

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #23231 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
i forgot how much i didn't like adele's skyfall theme

SCAAAFFOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

:yuck :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #23232 on: September 27, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
i forgot how much i didn't like adele's skyfall theme

SCAAAFFOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

:yuck :yuck

:ufup

When those first piano notes hit I go full :lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #23233 on: September 27, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »
Sicario - Just got back, thought it was very tense suspenseful and well crafted piece like Prisoners was.  Music was real good and dreadful and Del Toro's performance was excellent.  Could've been tighter and stronger in the middle where it kind of just rides at times and I'm not sure if showing the Mexican police officer story really worked in the scheme of things, but it's a good watch.  I think the kihg of this whole cartel/cops genre is still Traffic, but this is a good entry.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23234 on: September 27, 2015, 09:23:50 PM »
The Visit is awesome. It's just fun. M Night deserves this success.

My favorite things was

The tie in for Officer Jerry from the police station. The payoff for that joke had me actually LOL'ing
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #23235 on: September 27, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Sicario - Just got back, thought it was very tense suspenseful and well crafted piece like Prisoners was.  Music was real good and dreadful and Del Toro's performance was excellent.  Could've been tighter and stronger in the middle where it kind of just rides at times and I'm not sure if showing the Mexican police officer story really worked in the scheme of things, but it's a good watch.  I think the kihg of this whole cartel/cops genre is still Traffic, but this is a good entry.

More or less how I felt about it. The Mexican cop storyline felt like a mistake to me. It felt like they were trying to show how basically innocent people were affected by cartels, but the movies reach was exceeding it's grasp. It only works as a thriller, not as anything exploring any depth.

Also, I dug The Visit. It's like he's finally accepted that he's not the next Spielberg abs just decided to make a fun little movie.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23236 on: September 28, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »
According to the Sunday Mirror Damian Lewis will be the new Bond :(

« Reply #23237 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
Craig is definitely the best shirtless Bond. I need to see some Lewis topless pics before I make any judgements.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23238 on: September 28, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Lewis is probably one of the worst of the recent-ish crop of British actors who have received big breaks in the US over the last 5-10 years (Idris Elba, Dan Stevens, David Harewood, etc), yet has been the most successful awards wise. His emotional range is horrible. More often than not he looks like a robot attempting to emit human emotions. This was especially an issue in Homeland, and even when I go back and watch Band Of Brothers it's kind of apparent there too.

Plus he has little charisma. I'm not a Bond fan obviously (Skyfall might be the only Bond movie I legit really like) but Lewis would be a terrible choice.

« Reply #23239 on: September 28, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
I'm not even a huge Tom Hardy fan but he seems like the go to choice. I would invite the guy from Vikings and Rick from Walking Dead to read some lines for funsies as well.

« Reply #23240 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:31 AM »
Lewis is probably one of the worst of the recent-ish crop of British actors who have received big breaks in the US over the last 5-10 years (Idris Elba, Dan Stevens, David Harewood, etc), yet has been the most successful awards wise. His emotional range is horrible. More often than not he looks like a robot attempting to emit human emotions. This was especially an issue in Homeland, and even when I go back and watch Band Of Brothers it's kind of apparent there too.

Plus he has little charisma. I'm not a Bond fan obviously (Skyfall might be the only Bond movie I legit really like) but Lewis would be a terrible choice.

I think the bolded part of your quote is a large part of who James Bond is. He's not Jason Bourne, i.e. a regular guy who has to do bad things. He's basically a psychopath drunk who MI-6 attempts (with varying degrees of success) to exploit for their purposes. He's kind of like an alcoholic Batman without the homoerotic tendancies.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #23241 on: September 28, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »
Is Tom Hardy from the UK?

Also i think it would be cool if Bond went im another direction again. It went from gentleman to thug with Craig.

My wife suggested Cumberbatch.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:21:04 AM by Premium Lager »

« Reply #23242 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
Tom Hardy is English but you wouldn't know it because he's always doing different bad American accents.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #23243 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:06 AM »
Honestly, I'm game for a relatively unknown, young actor to take up the Bond mantle.

Theo James, Tom Felton, Joe Dempsie?
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23244 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
Fassbender Or Elba.

Mods Help

« Reply #23245 on: September 28, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
Remind me who Lewis is.

Mods Help

« Reply #23246 on: September 28, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
I can't take Cumberbatch seriously as Bond. I couldn't even take him seriously as Khan. Cumberbatch is a cool young dude with weird eyes; he's no Bond.

Tasty

« Reply #23247 on: September 28, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Honestly, I'm game for a relatively unknown, young actor to take up the Bond mantle.

Theo James, Tom Felton, Joe Dempsie?

Tom Felton?

First reaction: :kobeyuck

Second reaction: :huh

Final reaction:

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23248 on: September 28, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »
if we're gonna go young, how about Jack O' Connell? He's a terrific actor, and he'd be convincing for action stuff.

Also, Jason Issacs is now too old for the role, but lets just pretend for a moment he isn't, he'd be frigging perfect.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23249 on: September 28, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »
I want Old Bond.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #23250 on: September 28, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
I'd dig Taron Egerton, he basically played Bond jr. in Kingsmen.
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #23251 on: September 28, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
I was thinking about Sicario and the one thing that kind of bugs me in a silly way is:

How Del Toro's character is a better shot than James Bond and that's totally unrealistic.  I mean I get they're trying to make him seems badass, but there's a part when he rolls up to the bad guy's estate and he shoots 3 armed guards all headshots all within about 3 seconds and then later at the table he pulls off 3 perfect shots in a row.  For a movie that's supposed to be realistic that was just a bit too fantasy action movie-ish and felt out of place.  Especially considering this guy was a lawyer, and with a couple of years of training he's not going to suddenly be James Bond.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #23252 on: September 28, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
Fassbender is Irish though

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23253 on: September 28, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
I didn't know that.  The other thing I didn't know is that he beats women, but I guess one explains the other now. 

« Reply #23254 on: September 28, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
George Lazenby was Australian. No big deal.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #23255 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
Still commonwealth

But Irish German? Thats the anti britton

Tasty

« Reply #23256 on: September 28, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
Daniel Radcliffe? :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23257 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Also, I dug The Visit. It's like he's finally accepted that he's not the next Spielberg abs just decided to make a fun little movie.
Yep.  It felt more like a "first movie" for some director.  Not someone who's established.  He also realized that the reveal is much more important than the actual twist.

Tasty

« Reply #23259 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
I don't see it. I didn't really like The Guest, though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23260 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
No one suggested Adrian Paul yet ? Was a thing last time, to my amazement.
Bond actor will be a nice chap, famous but ot too much, that will be cooperative to the production. I'm not sure it has so much weight about the quality of future titles anyhow, even if the actor's choice do set the flavor of the day. I mean I wasn't a big fan of the Oedipus steroid rage Bond we had with Craig, didn't stop me watching and enjoying some of the films.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #23261 on: September 29, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
Blue Velvet - You know, after all these years and all these Lynch movies, I'm a fan of the Lynch "style", but not actually a fan of any of his movies.  Some good bits in this one, some classic dialogue, some nice visuals, but didn't find the film particularly enjoyable to watch, much like most of his films.  Also is this how PBR took off with hipster culture?

Bebpo

« Reply #23262 on: September 29, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
To kind of expand on that, I like the 50s happy flowers singing music juxtaposition with dark crime concept, but watching it in current times, the "light" side of movie is fairly dull and uninteresting and the "dark" side is so laughably tame today when it was shocking back then, that I think it just doesn't hold up as a movie today outside of the late great Dennis Hopper's crazy Frank performance.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23263 on: September 29, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »
I'm not sure it was shocking back then either, to be fair. The thing is that it's the film where Lynch finds his "trademark" style, just after the horrible experience on the failed Dune blockbuster. The dualities  :lawd in an all american picturesque setting, a world on the verge of being swallowed by a malevolent, supernatural glitch.

As a tangent, I watched another 1986 film, Shadows in Paradise by Finnish director Kaurismaki. It's very short, it's nice, there's not a whole lot going on. It's the story of two loners, a garbage man and a service employee. They smoke a lot, they're maladjusted and in the end they decide to bail out to Soviet Union via and hammer & sickle ferry for Tallinn.
ὕβρις

studyguy

« Reply #23264 on: September 29, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Really want to see The Martian.
Fully expect it to not stack up to the book where half of it is basically a I'm fucked scenario till they realize he's out there. The whole oh shit this dude's actually alive bit isn't ever revealed as quickly.
pause

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #23265 on: September 29, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
Watched Jurassic World for some reason.  What a bunch of  :trash

There might not have been a single redeeming quality about the movie.
vin

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #23266 on: September 29, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »
Really want to see The Martian.
Fully expect it to not stack up to the book where half of it is basically a I'm fucked scenario till they realize he's out there. The whole oh shit this dude's actually alive bit isn't ever revealed as quickly.

I think it'll be better than the book because instead of reading about all the scientific details, we'll get to look at a gorgeous Ridley Scott movie.
AMC

Mods Help

« Reply #23267 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »
After tonight's Agents of Shield I want Iain De Caestecker as Bond.

Tasty

« Reply #23268 on: September 30, 2015, 03:14:41 AM »

Holy shit, Dafoe. :lol
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:22:12 PM by Tasty Meat »

« Reply #23269 on: September 30, 2015, 07:05:11 AM »
:bow Oedipus steroid rage Bond :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23270 on: September 30, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »

Holy shit, Defoe. :lol

Willem Dafoe is so good. :lol
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #23271 on: September 30, 2015, 10:10:03 AM »
Saw Elysium on television last night. I was kind of astounded at how mediocre it was. Unlike Prometheus which has incredible highs and lows, Elysium was a flatline. Nothing in it really ruined the movie and nothing in it really made it good.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23272 on: September 30, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
"It was a movie" is the best and worst thing you can say about Elysium.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23273 on: September 30, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Phoenix

Holy crap man. Yikes. This is making it on my best of list for sure. Its a fascinating domestic drama about life in immediate postwar Germany, but only allegorically so, as a women with one mother of a case of PTSD tries to reenter her life after surviving her time in the camps. But the deep wounds, both outward and inward, will hobble her attempts at reintegrating into a society that is all too eager to forget. The film deftly uses noir tropes to tell a story where the scheming is actually kind of incidental, its a rich, affecting melodrama that still never veers into hysterics. Its really, really good.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23274 on: October 01, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
Ninjas vs Aliens  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #23276 on: October 02, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
We should be getting the first full trailers for Civil War and Apocalypse this month. :hyper

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23277 on: October 03, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
dog

« Reply #23278 on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
The Martian was a real let down. I had high expectations from a Scott/Damon film and they were not met. The score was weak, the cinematography was weak, the CGI was jarring sometimes, the acting was weak, the
skinny body double for Damon
[close]
was lazy.

Maybe the book ruined it for me, but I never really felt like any of the characters were in danger and it's a film about being left behind on a lifeless planet 30 million miles from Earth where the average temperature is -70 F.

I was never bored but I was never captivated either. Intergalactic and Gravity were much better.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23279 on: October 03, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
The trailer showing that he was able to communicate with the ship was a bad decision IMO. It basically confirmed in the trailer that everything was gonna be alright.