Author Topic: The new and improved movie discussion thread  (Read 1140964 times)

TEEEPO

Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #23040 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
there isn't many neo-realism films that deal with a ravaged post world war 2 italy though

Stro

« Reply #23041 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
There isn't

Or there aren't

:snob

Stro

« Reply #23042 on: March 08, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
Pather Panchali (1955)

Part 1 of the long time critically acclaimed Apu Trilogy, coincidentally this was heavily influenced by Bicycle Thieves and the Italian neorealism movement. It's happenstance I viewed these back to back. It's not particularly plot heavy, it's really just an examination of the life of a family in a poor Bengali village. I would even argue that Apu isn't even the main character, at least not in this one. There's a lot more going on with the mom than little Apu: She deals with stress of having a loser husband, two kids she basically raises on her own, an old ass aunt who steals all her shit and eats all her kids' food and teaches her daughter to steal who lives with them, then she deals with her husband bailing for 5 months without even letting her know ahead of time, the death of the aunt, the death of her daughter....meanwhile Apu is just a little fella who does almost nothing in the movie besides run around and look at stuff. Her frustration and stress of dealing with this general life really carries the movie, certainly much more than Apu. Shit, the daughter Durga's growth from young girl to teenager gets more focus and depth than Apu as well.

Looking forward to watching the next two, but more for the mom than Apu's journey.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23043 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Goose was the real hero of Captain Marvel.  :cat
©@©ô

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23044 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
Captain Marvel was great.  As good as wonder woman. 
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23045 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
reading through the easter egg thread on Reddit made me realize that I missed a ton of 90's movie references.
NtGay

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23046 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »
reading through the easter egg thread on Reddit made me realize that I missed a ton of 90's movie references.

I didnít notice Stan Lee was reading the Mall Rats script until I saw it online.
©@©ô

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23047 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
The tank scene in Ghost in the Shell is masterful. All I've seen of this film up till now has been vignettes but in context there's a strength given to the Major thats astounding, which climaxes in the tank scene. It's a masterwork undoubtedly. At a loss for word in the depth and beauty.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23048 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:52 PM »
I keep replaying it, it's amazing. The animation to the underlying message. Her commitment. Goddamn. Its portrayed in such a way that's hypnotic and affective.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23049 on: March 08, 2019, 11:24:02 PM »
I understand that Ghost in the Shell isn't a movie for everyone, but the direction and cinematography are masterful.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23050 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the tank is basically desecrating a museum while the major tries to stop it, not due to destroying history but its a wonderful take on machine vs human whether the major sees it or not. Its not whats pertinent to her yet there's a human urgency to her encounter to this machine.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23051 on: March 08, 2019, 11:46:44 PM »
This film fuck
Its absolutely ahead of its time. It speaks of the siren song of singularity but are we able to give up individuality? Even now (as I see it) its an infants dream but goddamn is it still terrifying

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23052 on: March 09, 2019, 02:46:23 AM »
I think Oshii is severely underrated as a hard sci-fi auteur. Maybe less on the science part, but his best works grapple with the philosophy of future and present dilemmas wonderfully. But he's also made a lot of overreaching dreck and that hasn't helped his rep. Still love Avalon and The Sky Crawlers to bits though.

But enough about science of the future, how's about some vividly portrayed science of the past? Apollo 11 is a narration free documentary consisting entirely of restored film (much of it extremely high quality) shot during the days of man's first trip to the moon. Shot and edited almost like a conventional dramatic movie, it condenses the hyper complicated business of 60's space travel into a thrilling and even quite affecting feature length montage. Its a great work of shaping history to make a narrative that still never once feels dumbed down. Like last year's First Man, it does a great job of making space travel look as thrilling, dangerous, and beautiful as possible. And also I can now say for darn certain I don't got the same stones Anderson, Alderin, and Collins did.

I've been very happy with the career of J.C. Chandor so far. He's made a string of thoughtful and mature dramatic films, free of histrionics or even conventional audience payoff moments. I can't be disappointed in him attempting to paint on a bigger canvas, and I can't say I didn't enjoy the film at all, but Triple Frontier still registers as bit of a letdown. Its got a great cast, a great premise (Seal Team Heist), and a director cynical enough to make a movie about profiteering ex-soldiers work. But its just not entirely satisfying as an action film and the pulpiness of its story co-exists uncomfortably with the grounded movie that it keeps trying to be. Its a muddled attempt to make a typical cheesy action movie into something respectable, but despite the concerted efforts of all involved(well, maybe less so with Ben Affleck) all you're left with is a film that's two halves instead of one whole and somehow the math ain't working out. I appreciate that Netflix funds movies like this, but like with a lot of their bigger productions you can see the unfulfilled potential inasmuch as the finished product.

Stro

« Reply #23053 on: March 09, 2019, 01:54:52 PM »
Aparajito (1956)

This is such a big leap from Panther Panchali. With only a year between the movies, it's like Satyajit Ray somehow fit 10 years of experience in that time. I'm not talking just about this one actually having some plotting, but just from a technical standpoint, this is so much more advanced than Panther. The visual language has matured considerably, there's lots of really neat editing techniques, and it's just....significantly more polished in every way. And this time around, there's actually some plot: After the death of daughter Durga, the Roy family moves from their ancestral home in rural Bengal to the big city of Varanashi. The loser father Harihar is actually doing pretty well in the big city as a priest, and the family, while still poor, are in a much better living situation than they were back home.

Then Harihar takes ill and dies, leaving Sarbajaya destitute and alone to raise now 10 year old Apu by herself in a new city with no support system. They're forced to move back to Bengal, where young Apu is being trained to be a priest. He finds a local school and asks his mother to attend, and as it turns out, he's a great student. Here is where the Apu character completely transforms, as he went from just a wide eyed kid to having his brain and world expanded by learning, and he gains a personality and interests. A time skip later and he's ready for college (or something similar) in Calcutta, but his mother doesn't really want him to go because...well, obviously. She's entirely alone and much of the second half of the movie is instantly relatable in any era and location of the weird relationship with your parents when you first move out and gain autonomy, with resentment from the mother of years of devotion being tossed aside and left behind but love and excitement for her son, and the annoyance and awkwardness of going back home after you've experienced freedom.

It's really something. Again, the mother character really carries most of this movie for me, and I don't know how Sarbajaya isn't seen as a ground breaking feminist icon in film. Even today you don't see many female characters, particular mothers/wives, with the depth and realness and sometimes ugly emotions that come with being a parent/spouse and all the associated pressures always weighing on your shoulders. She loves her kids, but she isn't default doting, she's always tired, always stressed, always working, sometimes her kids really piss her off, sometimes they hurt her feelings, she worries about them, she loves them, she defends them, she punishes them. It's just a wonderfully rich and deep character that is far more developed than any one else in these first two movies. These two movies, in my eyes, are about the mother and her journey more than Apu's growth from child to young adulthood.

The last of the trilogy comes in a few years, and wasn't originally planned at all and only came after Ray was asked about it a few too many times. Without the mother, I'm not sure how the final film can compete with this one, but we'll just have to see.

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #23054 on: March 09, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »
Finally got around to watching Aquaman.

and uh, wow certainly A LOT happened in this movie involving sharks and lasers.
Also, Amber Heard looked pretty hot in her suit.  :heart
dutch

Nuitangg

« Reply #23055 on: March 09, 2019, 07:35:45 PM »
Vision Quest is the greatest sports movie of all time.

Also, only one of these codes for Mission Impossible 3 works  :lol

https://www.paramountmovies.com/#/

KMHWM7WKHKMP

M9N3Y4KHHJRJ

Bebpo

« Reply #23056 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
Captain Marvel was good. Pretty standard marvel origin flick, but they transitioned cosmic powers pretty well, the Larson does a great job and the post-credit scene was fire. Does Sam Jackson even try to act anymore? He just seems so...hokey in everything lately. Also I give it credit for taking 2 of the most uninteresting parts of Marvel Comics (Skrulls & Kree) and not making a movie more boring than Ant-Man.

Stro

« Reply #23057 on: March 09, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
Apur Sansar (1959)

In the thrilling conclusion to the epic trilogy, Apu leads the final confrontation between the forces of good and evil fighting for control of the future of Middle-earth. Hobbits Frodo and Sam reach Mordor in their quest to destroy the one ring, while Aragorn leads the forces of good against Sauron's evil army at the stone city of Minas Tirith.

Man, Apu is barely a character at this point. Another time jump sees him out of school and barely working, just kind of lazying around, not paying his rent and getting cocky with his landlord over it. He's interested in writing like his father, having started a fairly autobiographical novel. He really only has one friend, no girlfriend, no real job, just kind of floats through life like a cloud. Through some wacky events, he goes to a wedding and ends up marrying the bride. He spends their marriage thinking she resents him because he's poor and she's rich, then when she goes home for the last 2 months of her pregnancy, he slacks off on writing her, doesn't visit her, and she dies during birth. Apu grows a beard of sorrow and wanders around, throws his novel away, and it takes him 5 years to visit his fucking son. His friend finds him and tells him to get his shit together, but Apu reveals he holds his son responsible for the death of his wife (who he didn't really know or love anyway). He eventually goes to visit his son and leaves with him, seemingly with a new lease on life.

This felt much more "movie" like than the previous two movies in the series. A lot more traditional movie lighting and sets and real actors. This needed the mother character, because Apu himself isn't really much of a character, just an empty slate who floats through life as others push him into situations and he just goes with it. Everyone seems to cut him breaks and take care of him even when he does nothing to deserve it. Yeah he had a number of shitty things happen to him in his life, but it isn't portrayed as any different than what everyone else goes through, so it isn't like you feel extra for him. Or I didn't, at least. I did feel for his mother, but all I get from Apu is that he's a moocher who doesn't even realize he's one and everyone he encounters enables him his entire life.

It's nice to see "the final film in a trilogy always drops the ball" trope knows no time period, genre, or nation.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23058 on: March 10, 2019, 12:59:58 AM »
Captain Marvel was good. Pretty standard marvel origin flick, but they transitioned cosmic powers pretty well, the Larson does a great job and the post-credit scene was fire. Does Sam Jackson even try to act anymore? He just seems so...hokey in everything lately. Also I give it credit for taking 2 of the most uninteresting parts of Marvel Comics (Skrulls & Kree) and not making a movie more boring than Ant-Man.

Liked it as well, but for different reasons.  Larson felt kind of stiff and robotic, but I can't tell if that's her just being a bad actress or if it was on purpose, since the movie starts off with this whole "suppress your emotions" thing.  What kept things going for me was the way everyone else interacted with her- she was barely ever by herself, so it just worked and the movie stayed pretty fun.  The skrulls were great and I hope we get to see more of them in other movies- was so great seeing them having some personality and not being so one-dimensional.  Hokey Nick Fury was great and all the shit with the cat was awesome.  :lol  Wish we got more Coulson. 

:bow at the final (?) Stan Lee cameo and Mallrats reference :bow2

For all the shit-talking and "review bomb protesting" happening, the theater was packed and people lost their shit with the mid-credits scene at the end.

The nerd in me also has to mention a prop fuck-up- in the bar scene, there's a shot of a Street Fighter II machine.  It wasn't an original cab and had a widescreen LCD monitor.  Guess they figured nobody would care or notice, but it stuck out a lot, especially with so much attention to other details and CRT TVs and monitors all over the movie.
:expert
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:04:11 AM by bork »
ど助平

Transhuman

« Reply #23059 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:36 AM »
She was great in Short Term 12

Stro

« Reply #23060 on: March 10, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
THX 1138 (1971)

It's kind of amazing the same guy who made this went on to make the Star Wars prequels. Then again, the guy who made Mad Max went on to make Happy Feet then back to making an even more insane Mad Max, so there's still hope for ol' Georgie. This has pretty much everything I look for in sci fi: Bleakness, retro futurism, dystopic futures, Orwellian bullshit, weirdness, ascetic aesthetic, a character trying to break out of the system  :wow

It's visually gripping and engrossing, a great sci-fi movie. Having never seen the original version, it was pretty obvious George Lucas special editioned this as well, although most of it fits well and looks good. You know, except for the monkey things near the end. Those are every bit as jarring as the creatures added to Star Wars movies because CGI creatures from the late 90s/early 00s will always stand out like a sore thumb in a movie from the 1970s.

I suppose I'm a sucker for a good Plato's Cave story.

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #23061 on: March 10, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »
The ending to Aquaman was weird.

Bad King Orm sends massive armies to fight other underwater species. We're talking millions of troops.
Explosions, nuclear blasts, lasers, monsters everywhere. BOOM drop ship with another ~500 soldiers explodes.
At some point someone says: "There's too many casualties. Which at that point in that fight must be up to 400k - 500k between both sides.
During all the lengthy dialogue between the main characters, you even see the fighting and lasers and explosions going off in the background.
While Amber Heard and Aquaman talk there's at least 500 explosions in the background.

*some events happen*

Oh you know what, you guys died for nothing in this here massive battle we now have a new king. Wew, how's that for an happy ending!

Thank god everything worked out ok! There's only about half a million dead.
dutch

Dickie Dee

• Slip off the academic gown and on with the antic pants!
« Reply #23062 on: March 10, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
Captain Marvel on track to make $155 mil.

___

Bebpo

« Reply #23063 on: March 10, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
The ending to Aquaman was weird.

Bad King Orm sends massive armies to fight other underwater species. We're talking millions of troops.
Explosions, nuclear blasts, lasers, monsters everywhere. BOOM drop ship with another ~500 soldiers explodes.
At some point someone says: "There's too many casualties. Which at that point in that fight must be up to 400k - 500k between both sides.
During all the lengthy dialogue between the main characters, you even see the fighting and lasers and explosions going off in the background.
While Amber Heard and Aquaman talk there's at least 500 explosions in the background.

*some events happen*

Oh you know what, you guys died for nothing in this here massive battle we now have a new king. Wew, how's that for an happy ending!

Thank god everything worked out ok! There's only about half a million dead.

Yep. Good movie.

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #23064 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »
Another weird thing was
The pirate guy gets a big ass gun that can blow up a mountain and he changes it into weaker laser eyes that make him look like a failed antman experiment  :doge
dutch

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23065 on: March 10, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Captain Marvel on track to make $155 mil.

(Image removed from quote.)

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
©@©ô

Bebpo

« Reply #23066 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:51 AM »
Another weird thing was
The pirate guy gets a big ass gun that can blow up a mountain and he changes it into weaker laser eyes that make him look like a failed antman experiment  :doge

Guns are boring. Eye beams are fucking awesome.

TEEEPO

« Reply #23067 on: March 11, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
aquaman is the pacific rim of superhero movies. both are self-aware in knowing how dumb their entire premise is and were awesome because of it. i wish other franchises had that kind of awareness

disclaimer: i did see aquaman in a 4dx theater and i'm sure i would've enjoyed the film far less had i seen it on a standard screen. though, i still would've enjoyed it better than any marvel film outside of GOTG

Coffee Dog

« Reply #23068 on: March 11, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Captain Marvel as a film felt just as confused as the protagonist. The dialogue at the start was so generic that it became impossible to get a feel for her character until she growled at that soldier and you realized the character is in her element as an angry warrior.

But then the film spends a long time building up this mystery to Carol's identity, is she more kree or human? Is she aware of the implications of her godlike power, how does she feel about being lied to for six straight years, how does she feel about this life on earth that she supposedly had? And...Carol just doesn't explore the emotional depth of any of it. Credit to Brie's performance, she made Carol feel straight off the page, with the same problems: she played her as generally too simple to grapple with it. She's a warrior. At the end of the day, she doesn't need anything more than an enemy and someone telling her what she can't do so that she can push herself and surpass it. But she doesn't come to that realization until the end of the move when she flips out and unshackles her powers, and when she does the (...I guess..emotional?) declaration that she doesn't know herself, it felt hollow because the writers clearly didn't either. Carol isn't one to agonize over details like that, and that element of the character came through during her interactions with the supporting cast, who were all great. Sam Jack's deaging was nuts and a highlight.

All the amnesia shit just amounts to a big time waster when the character knew who she was at the beginning, which is a big dumb powerful animalistic fuck you machine that growled at the Skrull. When she powered up, it was not through protection of the defenseless skrulls, it was not through strengthening her ties to earth, it was by embracing her inner drive of self improvement and surpassing her own limitations. She's the Goku variety of power fantasy. But whereas Dragon Ball embraces the fallibility of such a primitive character, Carol's stories never have, and they try to introduce themes that mismatch with the core appeal of her when she's fucking shit up. I think she'll be fine in a team on avengers like she usually is, but the solo stories need a heavy rejiggering when we get more of them. Embrace the conclusion that the film came to, because it's the first time captain marvel showed herself as an enjoyable hero and not a bored woman who can shoot a laser blast.

As a final note, the human characters being mysoginistic was fine, but why did Ronan say "the woman" instead of "the human" or "that freak of nature" or anything else. Why would a random space alien give the slightest fuck  :dead
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:58:33 PM by Coffee Dog »

TEEEPO

« Reply #23069 on: March 11, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
it took a woman wearing tights to have you venture outside of the other forum thread, sad

Coffee Dog

« Reply #23070 on: March 11, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
it took a woman wearing tights to have you venture outside of the other forum thread, sad
I've posted some on gaming too. I just don't post often. My girlfriend took me to this and my friends don't care about these movies enough to hear my opinion on it so I vented it here. Lordy.  ::)

EightBitNate

« Reply #23071 on: March 11, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »

As a huge Superbad fan, this makes me so excited.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23072 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
Captain Marvel as a film felt just as confused as the protagonist. The dialogue at the start was so generic that it became impossible to get a feel for her character until she growled at that soldier and you realized the character is in her element as an angry warrior.

But then the film spends a long time building up this mystery to Carol's identity, is she more kree or human? Is she aware of the implications of her godlike power, how does she feel about being lied to for six straight years, how does she feel about this life on earth that she supposedly had? And...Carol just doesn't explore the emotional depth of any of it. Credit to Brie's performance, she made Carol feel straight off the page, with the same problems: she played her as generally too simple to grapple with it. She's a warrior. At the end of the day, she doesn't need anything more than an enemy and someone telling her what she can't do so that she can push herself and surpass it. But she doesn't come to that realization until the end of the move when she flips out and unshackles her powers, and when she does the (...I guess..emotional?) declaration that she doesn't know herself, it felt hollow because the writers clearly didn't either. Carol isn't one to agonize over details like that, and that element of the character came through during her interactions with the supporting cast, who were all great. Sam Jack's deaging was nuts and a highlight.

All the amnesia shit just amounts to a big time waster when the character knew who she was at the beginning, which is a big dumb powerful animalistic fuck you machine that growled at the Skrull. When she powered up, it was not through protection of the defenseless skrulls, it was not through strengthening her ties to earth, it was by embracing her inner drive of self improvement and surpassing her own limitations. She's the Goku variety of power fantasy. But whereas Dragon Ball embraces the fallibility of such a primitive character, Carol's stories never have, and they try to introduce themes that mismatch with the core appeal of her when she's fucking shit up. I think she'll be fine in a team on avengers like she usually is, but the solo stories need a heavy rejiggering when we get more of them. Embrace the conclusion that the film came to, because it's the first time captain marvel showed herself as an enjoyable hero and not a bored woman who can shoot a laser blast.

As a final note, the human characters being mysoginistic was fine, but why did Ronan say "the woman" instead of "the human" or "that freak of nature" or anything else. Why would a random space alien give the slightest fuck  :dead

This is basically exactly how I felt about it. The setup and ending basically bookending cultural references and Sam Jackson being cool. The whole second act felt meandering.

I read it somewhere but the best description of the film is as a quickly conceived story about why this character will be appearing in End Game.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23073 on: March 11, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »

Caught this over the weekend and it was a gut punch of a film. Two very broken people getting together due to the convenience. Deals with substance abuse, suicidal tendencies, and cultural differences when it comes to the role of men and women in society and in a relationship. It gets dark in a particular way that only foreign films seem to allow.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:46:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23074 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Apply directly to the forehead?
©@©ô

Stro

« Reply #23075 on: March 11, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
Faith Akin, Clay's younger sister

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23076 on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »

The German title is better

Gegen die Wand literally translated as "Against the Wall"

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23077 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »
Akin's recent In the Fade is a great, wrenching drama that tactfully dances around a lot of potential genre and social pitfalls.

Bebpo

« Reply #23078 on: March 14, 2019, 03:24:54 AM »
Paddington 2 - was cute  :-[. It took me a little to get into (basically enjoyed it from the prison convicts onwards) as I was expecting it to be a little more funny since it had been described to me as a Wes Anderson style quirky comedy adventure (and also as game of the year 2018 by red letter media). I think if Wes Anderson did make this movie it'd basically be very closely the same except much funnier. But was a good charming watch and the ending was great. Really liked all the characters. It was even an enjoyable Hugh Grant performance and I've never particularly liked Hugh Grant :P

I may watch the first movie at some point. I'm sure it'll be charming and cute and very British, but I don't expect it to be laugh out loud funny so not in a rush to see it.

This is basically exactly how I felt about it. The setup and ending basically bookending cultural references and Sam Jackson being cool. The whole second act felt meandering.

I read it somewhere but the best description of the film is as a quickly conceived story about why this character will be appearing in End Game.

So every time a Marvel movie comes out it gets me back to reading Marvel Comics for a month or so until I drop it for a while. Started where I left off at World War Hulk after watching Captain Marvel and I sorta realized that given her powers in the movie compared to movie version of everyone else, she seems like she's essentially taking the role of The Sentry in the movie MCU, aka the DBZ power level character that they'll always need to have a reason she can't just come in and wipe everyone in two seconds and then she comes in at the end and does that when really needed in special situations.

kingv

« Reply #23079 on: March 14, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »
I thought Captain marvel was just a middlingly interesting as every other Marvel Movie.
I enjoyed it enough, I will never rent it, buy it, watch it on Netflix, or even on cable tv on Christmas.

Iím perfectly fine never seeing it again. Itís exactly the same way I fee
About all of the marvel movies except maybe Thor Ragnarok.

I didnít really think that they did a great job with the 90s nostalgia.

Like it just didnít feel particularly 90s to me, despite all of the forced references.

Bebpo

« Reply #23080 on: March 14, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
The only Marvel movies that have gone beyond the "well, that was entertaining" level for me have been Thor Ragnorak because it's funny af and Winter Soldier because I went in with low expectations because every Marvel movie had been so by the books safe until then and then suddenly it's like a legit almost R action thriller with good choreography and Evans being badass as hell.

I also appreciated Black Panther for the social contribution and great art design, but the actual movie was just good and entertaining popcorn flick like most of the rest of the Marvel films.

I didnít really think that they did a great job with the 90s nostalgia.

Like it just didnít feel particularly 90s to me, despite all of the forced references.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. As a "90s kid" myself it felt tacked on. I haven't seen Mid-90s yet, but I have a feeling that will be a lot more legit nostalgia.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23081 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »

When the misanthropy becomes so overwhelming you find yourself side-eyeing a film. I'll never watch it again but the imagery and insane scenario are going to stick with me. The acting was rough in places so it teeters on the edge of being comedic due to how overhwhelming it all is but then draws you back in.

The initial act, the very long character introductions, wore thin on me but when shit got real you're made to think back on these characters, and how they portrayed themselves. Ultimately left considering each character and their outcomes within the group.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:39:49 PM by BlueTsunami »

Potato

« Reply #23082 on: March 16, 2019, 03:26:26 AM »

Caught this over the weekend and it was a gut punch of a film. Two very broken people getting together due to the convenience. Deals with substance abuse, suicidal tendencies, and cultural differences when it comes to the role of men and women in society and in a relationship. It gets dark in a particular way that only foreign films seem to allow.
Speaking of gut punch films named Head On, have you seen the Australian film from 1998?
Spud

Transhuman

« Reply #23083 on: March 16, 2019, 04:34:38 AM »
Prospect 2018 is really good. I wouldn't watch the trailer because it seems to give a lot away, but I would definitely try to find and watch the film.

Potato

« Reply #23084 on: March 16, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »
Prospect 2018 is really good. I wouldn't watch the trailer because it seems to give a lot away, but I would definitely try to find and watch the film.
I've been keeping my eye on that one. Where did you see it?
Spud

Transhuman

« Reply #23085 on: March 16, 2019, 05:35:13 AM »
I'm Australian remember

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #23086 on: March 16, 2019, 05:36:57 AM »
Sorry To Bother You was pretty good. That's about all i watched lately.

Heard they originally wanted Donald Glover as the lead, glad that talentless white bread fuckboy didn't get to ruin it.

Tessa Thompson :heartbeat
\m/

Potato

« Reply #23087 on: March 16, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »
I'm Australian remember
That's why I asked. Where is it available here?
Spud

Transhuman

« Reply #23088 on: March 16, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
Legally? Beats me.

filler

• filler
  • Lupus
« Reply #23089 on: March 16, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
Sorry To Bother You was pretty good. That's about all i watched lately.

Heard they originally wanted Donald Glover as the lead, glad that talentless white bread fuckboy didn't get to ruin it.

Tessa Thompson :heartbeat
:banplz

TVC 15

• all the parties I go to are full of activists
« Reply #23090 on: March 16, 2019, 07:09:50 PM »
I think Cap Marvel was the first Marvel movie I legit disliked. They forgot to give her any personality or character. Brie was fine, the script just failed.

It was also boring to me. Fell asleep toward the end for a moment.
serge

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #23091 on: March 16, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #23092 on: March 16, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »
Went to see Captain Star Wars Marvel

An ok film. It had a lot of Nick Fury and overall it was better than I expected. These Marvel films just get more pretty to look at. The Kree planet stuff was really pretty.
Brie Larson didn't do any award winning acting but I don't think she did a bad job considering what she had to work with either. The humor worked well in this film but it was no Thor.
It seemed to have some sort of identity crisis, especially towards the end. I think it would've worked better if they had more grounded scenes on earth.
My memory also failed me with some of these characters that were in previous films. "What was the role of this big generic baddy again?"

Also, she could've saved us from a decade of Marvel movies had she blown up more ships at the end  :doge
dutch

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23093 on: March 16, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
expensive and shitty mid-80's films geaux!

I really wanted to like Dune. Its lovable and aged in ways that are charming, but its so often tedious, dramatically inert, and endlessly expository (it pretty much only stops being that when the credits roll) that all the best practical effects that 1984 could provide (and a fair number of crappy ones for that matter) and cool production design can't mitigate all of its flaws. I watched it as homework, more or less for next year's almost certain to be better re-adaptation. But no matter how well the new version comes out, it'll have to work hard to be as bracingly strange as Lynch's version sometimes (not often enough) gets to be.

Presently, on American Netflix, the first 21 James Bond films are available to stream. So I've been taking the opportunity to revisit a bunch of films that I hadn't seen in many years. Mostly I've been pleased with the older films, but I've got to make special mention for A View to a Kill, which sinks far below the comfortable mediocrity of the weaker entries and is just plain shitty. Its only two years after Octopussy (not actually terrible) but the already creaky Roger Moore looks like he aged ten years in between. Its a James Bond film that wastes Christopher Walken as the villain, and this was long before he became his own self-parody. Even accounting for the unusually persistent stunt doubling the action scenes have got no zip, and once again, the edge-of-elderly Roger Moore's lechery is just off putting. The film even fails at the lifestyle/travelogue porn that these films always succeed at, with a litany of the worst in 80's fashion paraded around the screen. James Bond has perhaps had so much lasting appeal because its always been such a potent male fantasy for the audience to vicariously enjoy, this one at least turns that undeserving, colonialist fantasy way sour, so at least there's that.

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #23094 on: March 16, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
hypaaaaaaaazone, I'm thinking of checking out some of Tsai Ming-liang's work, The Wayward Cloud in particular. Any recs, comments?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23095 on: March 16, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
I'd of course very much welcome whatever input you may post here on your discoveries.

I was about to recommend some things, but as it turns out I was confusing Hou Hsiao-Hsien for Tsai Ming-liang.

Seriously, I got nothing.

Stro

« Reply #23096 on: March 16, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »
Brother, if you can't get enjoyment from A View To A Kill, might I suggest a view to kill yourself binch

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23097 on: March 16, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Dune is definitely flawed, but there's not another scifi movie quite like it.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23098 on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:25 AM »
yeah, the visuals are sooooo much stronger than, well, everything else it kinda hurts the film. I would very much enjoy a better picture that keeps its aesthetic. Hell, a megabudget David Lynch film sounds exciting just on principle alone.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #23099 on: March 17, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
And that soundtrack

:rejoice