Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 1803546 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22860 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
Guardians was a fun movie, but it felt really inconsistent and there were a lot of moments that were a complete buzzkill. Also a bit too much hugging and kissing friendship thrown in my face.

It was like a Tales game.

Friends <3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:40:21 AM by demi »
fat

Tasty Meat

• gay piano noises
« Reply #22861 on: August 07, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Yeah, Guardians was pretty good but I couldn't take any of the serious moments seriously since I expected it to break into a joke at any time. Not sure how it could be improved, but I do know there have been other movies that have a better balance of things.

Still probably my #2 movie this summer after Days of Future Past. If I had to rank them:

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Edge of Tomorrow
4. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Damn I've seen some great movies this summer. :ohhh
🎹

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22862 on: August 07, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
The Step Up movies are hilariously awful.  I love watching each and every one of them. 

TMNT looks about as good as most 80's nostalgia fare to me.  I was never REALLY into them so maybe I'm not as picky about the style or universe.  The clip above made me want to see it more though.  I also like enjoy watching other Michael Bay movies.

So basically I have pretty bad taste and I am okay with that.  :yeshrug

Cindi Mayweather

• You gonna scroll past this post without saying howdy?
« Reply #22863 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
i wouldn't say bad taste at all. the clip made me want to see it more too. it's nice to actual character details in the clip.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22864 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
:heartbeat

Quaker

« Reply #22865 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
Elysium - I can't believe cholos saved the world. :bow
I'm still not sure if the character was written as a Mexican-ass Mexican and they awkwardly brute-forced Damon into the role for box office considerations or if they were playing with cultural roles/influence like Blade Runner's L.A./Hong Kong mashup.

Yeah, the story was silly and didactic and didn't make sense and the bad guy was super over-the-top but I was impressed by the visuals and it had some good hard-R action.

That part with the grenade and the reconstruction. :whoo
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:53:45 PM by Quaker »

Steve Contra

• Space is lonely
« Reply #22866 on: August 07, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Plus they brought back the Street Preacher from Johnny Mnemonic to play the villain. :lawd
vin

Kara

• The P in MPL secretly stands for Petite Bourgeois
« Reply #22867 on: August 07, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Well the movie was more or less Johnny Mnemonic, but whatever kind of punk we have today instead of cyberpunk.

I wish Blomkamp would make one of his ruthless commentary movies but with something that actually happened / is currently happening instead of hiding it behind the veneer of science fiction, it lets people pretend the ugly truths he spits don't exist.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22868 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Well the movie was more or less Johnny Mnemonic, but whatever kind of punk we have today instead of cyberpunk.

I think we're into postpostcyberpunk.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Space is lonely
« Reply #22869 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »

I wish Blomkamp would make one of his ruthless commentary movies but with something that actually happened / is currently happening instead of hiding it behind the veneer of science fiction, it lets people pretend the ugly truths he spits don't exist.
So you wish he would make a movie no one would see :goty
vin

Tasty Meat

• gay piano noises
« Reply #22870 on: August 07, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »

Nah, we're pre-postpostpostcyberpunk.
🎹

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #22871 on: August 07, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Damn I've seen some great movies this summer. :ohhh

:lol

So you wish he would make a movie no one would see :goty

Well he did make Elysium.
\m/

Tasty Meat

• gay piano noises
« Reply #22872 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Did you see ASM2 Wrath?
🎹

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #22873 on: August 07, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
Yeah, thought it was meh. Not as bad as some people said. But I wouldn't call it a great or even good movie.
\m/

Tasty Meat

• gay piano noises
« Reply #22874 on: August 07, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
I liked it. But there's a reason it was #5 out of 5.
🎹

Kara

« Reply #22875 on: August 07, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »

In trying to answer this question I now know that Wikipedia classifies cyberpunk as an avant-garde art movement. :heh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:goty2
:what
:stahp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22876 on: August 07, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
Transformers 4; meh.  5 better have unicron in it.
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22877 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Also the action scenes were lazy this time and not sure how I feel about the increased chinese propaganda in hollywood action movies.  I'm predicting an Independence Day sequel subtitled as "National Day of the People's Republic of China"
NtGay

Esch

• Banter With Borean Characteristics For A New Era
« Reply #22878 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »
i saw GotG again with my siblings. It was pretty good the 2nd time through, I still laughed at the jokes etc.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #22879 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »
Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles

First off let me say that this is a bad movie in general. There's a lot of things I can talk about that were bad but "LOL Turtlez". I'll just say that Megan Fox is the worst part in many ways, and Splinter looked bad.

I enjoyed it though. Maybe it's the lowered expectations, maybe it's because the run time wasn't bloated like most blockbusters, or maybe it's because I did grow up loving the franchise. But it's very entertaining. The turtles were a bit more stereotypical but not to the point where it was annoying, they were still the turtles and the best scenes is where they're around. Splinter looked bad but his fight scene was cool. Shredder was grimdark big bad but I wasn't phased by it as his fight scenes worked. Really, the stuff I didn't enjoy was mostly all the humans but Shredder. The Turtles, Shredder and Splinter weren't too far off from what I enjoyed about them in the old cartoon. So it was nice seeing them.

I can delve more into how bad it is, how all April does is push buttons and blablabla. But it was a Michael Bay movie(I know he didn't direct it, but could have fooled me) and for what it was I liked it.
\m/

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22880 on: August 08, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
A Most Wanted Man is a look at modern day espionage that's stately, mature, well performed, and just a bit dull.  Hoffman's great in it, but then that's to be expected.  Its best value may be as a welcome corrective to 24 and its ilk as a markedly less histrionic work about terrorism hunters in an urban/western setting.  Still, as a consequence of its relatively restrained plotting and dramatics, it never does escape the medium-simmer setting it seems dead set to stay on.

Of course, the other recent La Carre adaptation, Tinker Tailor etc., didn't have this problem.  But it had a much wider scope and more deeply felt characters (and a way more complicated plot).  This much more modest film has smaller goals and achieves them well.  Upon seeing it would you wish that it had more to offer or will you appreciate what's there?  That will be your decision.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22881 on: August 08, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Finally got around to watching HUGO. I'll have to watch it again to appreciate the storytelling techniques and implications of the various scenes' construction. I could tell I was watching something layered and nuanced, but then Chloe Grace Moretz opens her mouth and it's like she's acting in a different movie from everyone else, except for possibly Sasha Baron Cohen, who was also hamming it up. My guess is, along with other directorial choices like having Ben Kingsley speak directly to the audience during the big reveal, that both Chloe's and Sasha's acting techniques are pointers to other eras of cinema, just as Georges Méliès' actors in his films employed exaggerated body language.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22882 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Drinking whisky and watching Pacific Rim again. Hot damn this is a good movie. It's better on re-watching, so I'm going to fire it up again in 3~6 months, see if it's EVEN BETTER. It's melodramatic and messy and full of unlikely decisions... and still better than most of the anime on which it's based or paying tribute. It was also great to see human-on-human fight scenes which aren't shot with shaky-cam or edited so choppily that I can't tell what's happening. The drift-compatiblity bo-staff fights and the throw down with the Australian dickhead pilot were both great.

Kara

« Reply #22883 on: August 09, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
A Most Wanted Man is a look at modern day espionage that's stately, mature, well performed, and just a bit dull.  Hoffman's great in it, but then that's to be expected.  Its best value may be as a welcome corrective to 24 and its ilk as a markedly less histrionic work about terrorism hunters in an urban/western setting.  Still, as a consequence of its relatively restrained plotting and dramatics, it never does escape the medium-simmer setting it seems dead set to stay on.

Of course, the other recent La Carre adaptation, Tinker Tailor etc., didn't have this problem.  But it had a much wider scope and more deeply felt characters (and a way more complicated plot).  This much more modest film has smaller goals and achieves them well.  Upon seeing it would you wish that it had more to offer or will you appreciate what's there?  That will be your decision.

Oh snap, I didn't know this was a le Carre joint. Get hype.

Have you seen the Tinker, Tailor mini? I feel like the movie wasn't a simmer because it crammed so much stuff into so little time. (e.g. The opening scene of the movie is more or less the entirety of the first episode of the mini.)

Smiley v. Karla :noah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22884 on: August 09, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
NtGay

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22885 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
Sharknado. It's free on Xbox Live to kick off Shark Week. For some reason Microsoft appears to have finally removed IP region restrictions from video content. I'm not sure if they did me a favor here or not. 87 minutes of nonsensical disaster film parody on The Asylum's budget... to call an Asylum budget "sparse" is to to call a bare, empty, unpainted, concrete-floored room "spartan." The theory is apparently to add any given effect in post: Sharks, floodwater, hurricanes, additional police cars, rain, blood, even night-time filters... amazing shoestring tricks.

Anyway, I laughed a lot.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22886 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
I like the part when they're in about 6 inches of water and there's sharks swimming around everywhere.

I believe that part was...90% of the movie.

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22887 on: August 10, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
Yeah! 3 meter sharks, shown in stock footage in at least four meter deep water, and the heroes are wading around in a living room, looking panicked. Also, sharks ability to be vicious killers even while beached on land, or flung willy nilly through the air was admirable. It showed dedication to their lifestyle choices.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22888 on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »
Oh snap, I didn't know this was a le Carre joint. Get hype.

Have you seen the Tinker, Tailor mini? I feel like the movie wasn't a simmer because it crammed so much stuff into so little time. (e.g. The opening scene of the movie is more or less the entirety of the first episode of the mini.)
haven't, but as its an Alec Guiness led British TV production, I suppose I'll have to at some point.

and why yes, Smiley's People is one of my most anticipated film of sometime in the next decade, how did you know?  About A Most Wanted Man...
Its got a great, fantastically bleak ending that is by design, not at all satisfying.  It frustrates the audience a bit, sure, but it shatters all the characters in the film.  Its pretty dang definitive, even if you might really want just a few minutes more of screentime to suss things out.

in unrelated news, Donnie Yen's Special ID is on Netflix, and its the Donnie Yen-iest film to come out since the last time Donnie Yen Yenned up a flick.  As cinema its rudimentary, but for people hurting each other, its pretty solid.  Plus of course, an extra heavy helping of Donnie Yen, who's just the coolest guy who ever Donnie Yenned.

Kara

« Reply #22889 on: August 10, 2014, 03:49:04 AM »
It also has Patrick Stewart as Karla. :noah

So they're skipping The Honourable Schoolboy again? (The minis skipped it too, jumping straight from Tinker, Tailor to Smiley's People.) That's a bummer.

RE your spoiler: that's what I consume le Carre joints for. The end of Call for the Dead. :lawd :lawd :lawd

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #22890 on: August 10, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
Yeah.... So I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night with my son.  He liked it.  At least somebody did.

Wait for the DVD release, brehs.
WTF

JayDubya

« Reply #22891 on: August 10, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

I liked TMNT as a kid.

Because I liked them as a kid, fuck no, not on DVD, not on cable, never.

Michael Ba-Ba-Sploom already wrecked Transformers, isn't that enough?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22892 on: August 10, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
I already watched that CG TMNT movie from the mid-aughts with Nolan North as Raphael, I think I'm pretty good on Turtle reboots still.
©@©™

« Reply #22893 on: August 10, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Saw Boyhood on Thursday night. Pretty impressive film considering how it was made. I've got a feeling a lot of it was improvised much like the Before Trilogy.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #22894 on: August 10, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

I liked TMNT as a kid.

He didn't wreck anything - Transformers still exists, the episodes are still there, as are the toys. I saw the first Bay Transformers and that was enough for me. It didn't ruin or destroy my memory of the Transformers, just as the GI-Joe movie didn't kill my memory of GI-Joe.

I forgot which author was asked how he felt about a film adaption which changed things, and he pointed to his book shelf and said "but my books are right there, unchanged."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22895 on: August 10, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
I tried to rewatch the original transformers cartoon two years ago.  It is complete shit and I didn't make it to season 2.  The movie is still very good though.
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
NtGay

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
« Reply #22897 on: August 10, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
The Hunter : good dafoe flick, music is a bit too dramatic

Last Boy Scout: 4 stars because of ending scene where willis and wayan joke about 90's action movies and this whole self concious joke feels way ahead of its time

The Walrus

• Coo coo kachoo
« Reply #22898 on: August 10, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I loved this. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. So many awesome cameos  :lol
Besides the main two guys, I really liked Adrian Brody's character. Dude had me laughing every time he was on screen.

Kara

« Reply #22899 on: August 10, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
:bow The Last Boy Scout :bow2

Also the action scenes were lazy this time and not sure how I feel about the increased chinese propaganda in hollywood action movies.  I'm predicting an Independence Day sequel subtitled as "National Day of the People's Republic of China"

Zao shang hao. Zao shang hao. In less than an hour, aircraft from the People's Liberation Army Air Force here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of People's war. People, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty self-criticisms anymore. We will be united in our mass line. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 1st of October, and you will once again be fighting a war of national liberation. Not from imperialism, exploitation, or bourgeois ideology, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live--to exist--and should we win the day, the 1st of October will no longer be known as a holiday of the proletariat and the peasantry, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22900 on: August 10, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
The Last Boy Scout is great
NtGay

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #22901 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »

I liked TMNT as a kid.

He didn't wreck anything - Transformers still exists, the episodes are still there, as are the toys. I saw the first Bay Transformers and that was enough for me. It didn't ruin or destroy my memory of the Transformers, just as the GI-Joe movie didn't kill my memory of GI-Joe.

I forgot which author was asked how he felt about a film adaption which changed things, and he pointed to his book shelf and said "but my books are right there, unchanged."

Yep.

Make fun of kids while acting like one, brehs.
\m/

« Reply #22902 on: August 10, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I loved this. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. So many awesome cameos  :lol
Besides the main two guys, I really liked Adrian Brody's character. Dude had me laughing every time he was on screen.

Rushmore and Tenanbaums are still my favorites, but Anderson is back on his game after the flop that was Darjeeling Limited.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• The gentle hater
« Reply #22903 on: August 10, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
Bait is a pretty decent C-grade shark movie. It's about people trapped inside a collapsed supermarket/parking deck after a tsunami, and there are a couple of Great Whites which washed in there with them. Decent effects.
sup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22904 on: August 10, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
New batman movie; meh to ok-good. 

I'm about to rewatch Bad Boys for the first time in 5 years; so excited. 
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22905 on: August 10, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
Holyshit this is so 90's and hokey.  Also I didn't remember that Martin Lawrence sounds whiter than me. 
NtGay

Quaker

« Reply #22906 on: August 11, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »
Saw Boyhood on Thursday night. Pretty impressive film considering how it was made. I've got a feeling a lot of it was improvised much like the Before Trilogy.
My favorite part was how you could pretty accurately chart the 12 years passing by from the music/movies/books/games/politics/fashion. A lot of times movies will just blur them together.

Some of it was a little too amateur hour presumably because he used non-actors(the drunk cabin scene) or navel-gazing but I respect the earnestness. Only thing that truly bugged me was pretty much everything about that tangent with the Mexican dude.

It also made me wish Ethan Hawke could get a McConaissance and have his career elevated from dogshit B-movies but that ship has probably sailed. I mean, he's cool enough to do the Linklater movies but no one aside from a few movie nerds gives a shit about them and he's left having to pay the bills with The Purge and Getaway and Daybreakers(I liked him in Sinister.)

"You don't want the bumpers, life doesn't give you bumpers."  :'(

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
« Reply #22907 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Rushmore and Tenanbaums are still my favorites, but Anderson is back on his game after the flop that was Darjeeling Limited.

Come on it wasn't bad.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22908 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »
It also made me wish Ethan Hawke could get a McConaissance

« Reply #22909 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Come on it wasn't bad.

Budapest was awesome. Darjeeling suuuuuucked.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #22910 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
this weekend I watched Mean Creek the 2004 film and it was kind of brutal.

The film is about a group of teenagers and young adults who devise a plan to humiliate an overweight, troubled bully on a boating trip. When their plan goes too far, they have to deal with the unexpected consequences of their actions.

I thought it was going to be River's Edge for the GWB years or something, but it turned out to be quite good.  Worth a watch.

also caught The Assassin, a 1952 private detective movie set in a postwar Venice.  It's very clusterphobic and doesn't really use the setting that well, but it's a B picture so I should be shocked we got what we did.  It's not for everyone, but i think someone like Eel may get something out of it. 
Tonya

Kara

« Reply #22911 on: August 11, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
I love Venice and will never go there irl, so I will deffo check that out.

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #22912 on: August 11, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Saw GotG, best Star Wars movie yet
😽💨

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #22913 on: August 11, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
Saw GotG, best Star Wars movie yet

That makes me more interested to see it than it being another comic book movie honestly.

ToxicAdam

• Curator of the Yacht Rock HOF
« Reply #22914 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
It's not even an apt comparison, as its more Fifth Element than Star Wars.

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #22915 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Well you're entitled to your opinion, felt like I was watching a Star Wars flick to me!
😽💨

CatsCatsCats

😽💨

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22917 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
Well you're entitled to your opinion, felt like I was watching a Star Wars flick to me!

But, like, a good one.
dog

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #22918 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Exactly!
😽💨

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #22919 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »
Aside from Alamo Drafthouse being the best goddamn movie theater in the country I just watched a solid spree of First Blood, Lethal Weapon, Predator, and Die Hard. Motherfucking live pyrotechnics during badass scenes and awesome beer. :rock