Author Topic: The new and improved movie discussion thread  (Read 1124134 times)

Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #22860 on: February 03, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
Well you were too late and I watched Trench 11 instead. It's a WW1 zombie/infected movie with a 90% RT rating that it doesn't really deserve.
Oi Oi

Stro

« Reply #22861 on: February 03, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
The Seventh Seal (1957)

A nice uplifting start to my Sunday morning

:cat

TVC 15

• all the parties I go to are full of activists
« Reply #22862 on: February 03, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
Eighth Grade is on Amazon Prime. Itís good and has a cool soundtrack.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #22863 on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:10 AM »
Watched Big Hero 6. The robot was greaaaat, but the story was kinda generic superhero fodder with some major plot holes. Didn't really need the super team, would've worked better as a straight buddy flick with kid & goofy robot. Still was alright, but just alright.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22864 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »
Watched Big Hero 6. The robot was greaaaat, but the story was kinda generic superhero fodder with some major plot holes. Didn't really need the super team, would've worked better as a straight buddy flick with kid & goofy robot. Still was alright, but just alright.

San Furansoukyo is the best thing about the movie. I want to live there.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22865 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

Yuasa was really Yuasa-ing hardcore here. It starts out with a pub crawl and gets increasingly detached from reality by the second. The journey leads through open-air book markets filled with antique erotica and nuclear nabe eating contests, into a school festival where a cross-dressing student council president is battling a guerrilla theater troupe, until finally it ends up in just a swirl of colors and madness as everyone in Kyoto gets a supernatural cold that's powered by loneliness. A good movie. 5/5
©@©ô

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #22866 on: February 04, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
Glass sucked dick, I feel like M Blight Soyboyloi had no idea why people liked split

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22867 on: February 04, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »
Velvet Buzzsaw really was bad. As a cultural satire it was ok, as a horror movie it was worthless. I know better than to not listen to Joe next time.

Yuasa was really Yuasa-ing hardcore here. It starts out with a pub crawl and gets increasingly detached from reality by the second. The journey leads through open-air book markets filled with antique erotica and nuclear nabe eating contests, into a school festival where a cross-dressing student council president is battling a guerrilla theater troupe, until finally it ends up in just a swirl of colors and madness as everyone in Kyoto gets a supernatural cold that's powered by loneliness. A good movie. 5/5
A Yuasa joint? Looks hype, watching this tonight.
HALP!

Bebpo

« Reply #22868 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
Yeah I haven't watched Velvet Buzzsaw yet but I read the critic reviews and they were all like "yeaaaah, there's like half a good movie in here and half a bad one". Which still sounded better than Roman J. Israel, but sounds a far cry from the always good Nightcrawler. Shame, I love Nightcrawler.

Will still watch Velvet Buzzsaw soon-ish.

Night is Short is a good movie that is incredibly bad in the last 20% because when you think about it the main guy is a creepy stalker who instead of being a joke character and made fun of is treated like the actual romantic lead like there's nothing wrong with some good ole' creepy stalking and is rewarded because of it. Kinda gross. The rest of the movie is great and the main gal's story is a ton of fun.

Stro

« Reply #22869 on: February 04, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
Baywatch (2017)

Man, the levels of attractiveness in this movie is off the fucking charts. Between Rock, Daddario, Efron, and then the "lesser" people who were still super fucking hot, random beach goers as well. My goodness. Movie probably should have had less action and more goofy buddy cop stuff with Rock/Efron, but it was a fun enough R comedy that was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:35:23 AM by Stro »

TVC 15

« Reply #22870 on: February 05, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »
Ugh Drafthouse is showing Police Story 1 and 2 tonight. Should I even bother going?
serge

HardcoreRetro

• DIGITAL MAN
« Reply #22871 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
The first one is great.

TVC 15

« Reply #22872 on: February 05, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
But itís supposed to be Terror Tuesday :(
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22873 on: February 05, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »
Maybe it's existential terror.
©@©ô

Stro

« Reply #22874 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »
47 Ronin (2013):

I knew this was going to be legit when it started with a trailer for The Scorpion King 5. This got trashed hardcore as being just utterly terrible or some shit and bombed hard, but outside of the CGI monsters in a few scenes, it's pretty decent. Looks pretty cool, some cool fighting scenes.

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22875 on: February 06, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
September 11th was on a Tuesday. Faux Pas.

47 Ronin (2013):

I knew this was going to be legit when it started with a trailer for The Scorpion King 5. This got trashed hardcore as being just utterly terrible or some shit and bombed hard, but outside of the CGI monsters in a few scenes, it's pretty decent. Looks pretty cool, some cool fighting scenes.
If I just want to watch a cool Keanu movie where he kicks some ass, will this satisfy?
HALP!

Stro

« Reply #22876 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
September 11th was on a Tuesday. Faux Pas.

47 Ronin (2013):

If I just want to watch a cool Keanu movie where he kicks some ass, will this satisfy?

Probably not. He doesn't have much to do in the movie really and is really an over advertised side character with some late added scenes to try to have some star power. The couple of fights he has has some cool stuff in it, but it's not a Keanu kicking ass movie.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #22877 on: February 06, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
Why aren't people up in arms that a Peruvian American is playing Alita when Scar. Jo was literally crucified in front of millions for Ghost in the Shell?
sigh

Stro

« Reply #22878 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
Annihilation (2018)

I'm not 100% sure on what I saw, but it keep me interested and entertained so 5 stars. I guess it was like...invasion of the eco body snatchers. And humans are the worst. And also Adam and Eve gonna repopulate the earth, bayBEE.

ToxicAdam

• Curator of the Yacht Rock HOF
« Reply #22879 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
Yea, I thought it was worth watching, but ultimately flawed.

The ending was a real let down for me. It felt too conventional and Hollywood. I would've loved to see a darker ending where the cancer (alien life-form) that was infecting the earth was inevitable. Maybe with heavy allusions that how we came to be on this planet happened in a similar manner. They kind of toy around with idea on the edges, but never really go all-in on it.

I guess since he had to honor the source material and leave open the possibility of sequels, he couldn't really go with a definitive, dark ending.

Purrp Skirrp

• Some Kinda Hate
« Reply #22880 on: February 08, 2019, 12:41:11 AM »

:rejoice

Stro

« Reply #22881 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »
Yea, I thought it was worth watching, but ultimately flawed.

The ending was a real let down for me. It felt too conventional and Hollywood. I would've loved to see a darker ending where the cancer (alien life-form) that was infecting the earth was inevitable. Maybe with heavy allusions that how we came to be on this planet happened in a similar manner. They kind of toy around with idea on the edges, but never really go all-in on it.

I guess since he had to honor the source material and leave open the possibility of sequels, he couldn't really go with a definitive, dark ending.

I dunno it seemed like a fairly dark ending to me. The movie as a whole I would say is half a step away from misanthropic in general.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Either the two people are now alien clones that can infect the rest of the world, or they're both so fucked up from being in The Shimmer that they're basically zombies with very little grasp on reality.

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #22882 on: February 08, 2019, 03:03:06 PM »
The Seventh Seal (1957)

A nice uplifting start to my Sunday morning

:cat

Shit, that reminded me I've been meaning to watch this gem from my childhood.

:bow JŁrgen Prochnow :bow2

TVC 15

« Reply #22883 on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »
What should I see in theaters tonight with my favorite person in the world?
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22884 on: February 08, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »

Miss Bala

Experience the latina power fantasy
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22885 on: February 08, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
So I just feel the need to say. I just started Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colors: Blue and the first four minutes I've seen more visual imaginatio and emotion than I have in entire films. Buckling in for this one.

TVC 15

« Reply #22886 on: February 08, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »
So is that better or worse than A Star Is Born then?
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22887 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
So is that better or worse than A Star Is Born then?

I'd still place it a few notches below

Don Rumata

« Reply #22888 on: February 08, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »

Miss Bala

The 2011 one was good.
This new one looks dumber, from the trailer.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22889 on: February 08, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »

Miss Bala

The 2011 one was good.

Goddamn its a remake? I didnt watch it though was just a joke post. Makes me curious to the original though

TVC 15

« Reply #22890 on: February 09, 2019, 12:18:12 AM »
Took low dose of mushrooms before lego movie 2. Report incoming.
serge

TVC 15

« Reply #22891 on: February 09, 2019, 12:56:44 AM »
I had to eat again so I got a pepperoni pizza at the AMC theater. My friend asked how it was and I said something like "It tasted like a totinos party pizza that had been dropped and wiped off with the carcass of something the cat dragged in" but I didn't get passed the word 'carcass' because the random lady next to me started laughing.

The movie sucked, but it looked amazing. 5 stars for AMC peppercarcass pizza.
serge

TVC 15

« Reply #22892 on: February 09, 2019, 12:58:03 AM »
Also, when I realized I was going to be in a theater filled with kids while on mushrooms, I briefly panicked and felt like Danny Devito in that episode of Sunny where he gets stuck in the coil in the park in his undies.

And I cried like 4 times during the movie and the trailer for Detective Pikachu.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22893 on: February 09, 2019, 12:59:03 AM »
Just rented Romeo + Juliet. Sorry y'all.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22894 on: February 09, 2019, 01:14:55 AM »
Annihilation (2018)

I'm not 100% sure on what I saw, but it keep me interested and entertained so 5 stars. I guess it was like...invasion of the eco body snatchers. And humans are the worst. And also Adam and Eve gonna repopulate the earth, bayBEE.

I've watched this three times so far. I love it.

Book's good too, but different.

Don Rumata

« Reply #22895 on: February 09, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »

Miss Bala

The 2011 one was good.

Goddamn its a remake? I didnt watch it though was just a joke post. Makes me curious to the original though
Apparently.
I didn't call it a remake, because i wasn't sure if it was loosely based on some true story, but so says Wikipedia.

Either way, the 2011 one had Saint Savior in the trailer, which made it seem more pop that it actually is, the movie is quite dry and depressing (i don't even remember if it has a soundtrack at all).

This new one i haven't seen, but it does look more action focused and generally sillier in tone, they could be pulling a similar switcharoo though.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #22896 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »
I havenít seen Nocturnal Animals, so I wouldnít know. This is a satire of snooty art world people, but since I donít know anything about modern art, it was just boring.

No suspense
Deaths were boring
Plot barely there
Girlfriend fell alseep so No sex after

1/5
dur

Stro

« Reply #22897 on: February 09, 2019, 03:37:06 PM »
Yi Yi (2000)

Aka A One and A Two. A Taiwanese/Japanese production that I guess would be best described as a family drama. It won a ton of awards when it came out, on all the "best foreign films in the past 25 years" type lists. It is pretty good. A generational type film showing how different generations react to similar situations. It's 3 fucking hours, which seemed a bit excessive for that type of movie considering it wasn't like...an epic or anything. It covered like a month at the most. I did enjoy it, though. There's not really much of a narrative arc, it's just various members of this family reacting to things in their own way, some shared events, some personal events.

Stro

« Reply #22898 on: February 10, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
The Untouchables (1987)

De Palma da gawd

Connery da gawd

DeNiro da gawd

Morricone da gawd

:rejoice

Sean Connery was fucking awesome in this and the Broccoli family should have thrown all they money they could to get him back as Bond right in this time frame :aah

Yeah this takes some absurd liberties with the actual story, but if you wanted the actual story you'd read a fuckin' book instead of watch a movie, you fuck head.

Quaker

« Reply #22899 on: February 10, 2019, 09:04:44 PM »
Screenplay by David Mamet.

Bebpo

« Reply #22900 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:39 AM »
Steven Soderbergh's Netflix film 1 of 2, High Flying Bird. Solid, good watch like most his stuff, probably in middle-tier of his catalog. I liked the interviews with the players bits and Andre Holland's great though dude either has little range or is just super typecast because I swear between The Knick, Castle Rock and this he's basically playing the same charismatic sullen angry dude. Moonlight was the only role he did that was different than I've seen him in. Also still haven't seen Unsane, but not sold on this shot on iphone 7 thing. I looks kinda like a VCD bootleg. Which I would imagine works fine for a horror flick like Unsane, but here I don't think it adds anything besides making the budget cheaper and inspiring more people to go make films because hey you can make a good movie on an iphone.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22901 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »
Aquaman- CG: The movie.  CG, CG, CG, and more CG everywhere.  Better CG than Cyborg in Justice League, at least, but still had a lot of unlreastic imagery throughout.  This portrayal of the character was very much like DC's answer to Thor in the Justice League movie and he's a bit less like that here, but I still got that vibe anyway.  I saw a lot of positive reviews for this, but I dunno.  It was just...OK?  I guess.  Nothing really stood out apart from a chase scene where Mera is running away from Atlantis soldiers on rooftops and all I could think of was how similar this was to Fast And Furious 5.

Dark City- Haven't seen this in a pretty long time.  Apart from some pretty badly-aged special effects, this held up pretty well and was enjoyable.  One thing I never noticed before was a brief dialogue exchange between the main character and a guy in a hoodie on a train.  The latter looked completely out of place with the 40s/50s aesthetic they had going on.  Weird.

The Thirteenth Floor- Never saw this before and was looking for another simulated reality-type film after Dark City.  This wasn't bad but not something I think I'd re-watch.  Interesting plot-twist towards the end.  Also had some pretty badly-aged CG.
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22902 on: February 11, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
The Sicily scene in aquaman was easily the highlight of the movie. Should have ended with that fight.

Premium Lager

• Wladimir Putin ja cie prosze, don't push that button, pazalsta Wladimir
« Reply #22903 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:57 AM »
Mother!: My wife walked out during the last ten minutes, which pretty much sums everything up. I mean its cool kind of but all that nonsense for a bible story? During the whole movie we were line what the f, but she figured it out the next day. 2/5 abels

Ready Player One: I liked it, all the references made me think a lot about the media today and if we just live in a world where everything is a reference and if there is any originality left abd whats the point of it all. Then it hit me that its just all decor anyway and young people will give new meaning to old things and create new stories. Like if there is so many references as in this movie they all dont mean anything and thats great you can just ignore them. Does this make sense? 3,5/5 Spielbergs
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:49:03 AM by Premium Lager »

Bebpo

« Reply #22904 on: February 13, 2019, 02:51:23 AM »
Finally watched Soderbergh's Unsane - Was ok. Felt like I movie that wanted to be two different movies. I liked it as a psychological thriller, but as a B-movie thriller it was just sorta ok and surprisingly horror for Soderbergh. Claire Foy was really great, and I felt it was more stylishly shot than High Flying Bird which felt more of a traditional movie just on an iphone. But would put this towards the bottom tier of Soderbergh's work.

Stro

« Reply #22905 on: February 13, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
Venom (2018)

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I refuse to believe this didn't start out as a Will Smith vehicle in 1998. It's bad in all the right ways, and for that it's entertaining and therefore a better Spiderman movie than Homecoming. 5 stars. 

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Stro

« Reply #22907 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
I would like to point out that Amazing Spiderman 2 was also bad in all the right ways, although not in the same bad in all the right ways as Venom. Both were more enjoyable than Homecoming.

Cindi Mayweather

• The answer lies in the heart of battle
« Reply #22908 on: February 13, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »
It's been a while since I saw Fistful of Dollars but damn, they really did rip off Yojimbo almost shot for shot.

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22909 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:33 AM »
HALP!

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #22910 on: February 14, 2019, 02:44:43 AM »
It's been a while since I saw Fistful of Dollars but damn, they really did rip off Yojimbo almost shot for shot.

To be fair, they did sign a contract with the Japanese rights owner (including Kurosawa) while they were working on the pre-production. It's really an authorized remake.
ὕβρις

Cindi Mayweather

• The answer lies in the heart of battle
« Reply #22911 on: February 14, 2019, 03:18:12 AM »

To be fair, they did sign a contract with the Japanese rights owner (including Kurosawa) while they were working on the pre-production. It's really an authorized remake.

Itís hard for me to critique. Itís so damn good and there are some parts I like more than Yojimbo. Sanjuro the GOAT tho.

What about the lawsuit Kurosawa filed? If it was authorized why the settlement?

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #22912 on: February 14, 2019, 03:51:59 AM »

Itís hard for me to critique. Itís so damn good and there are some parts I like more than Yojimbo. Sanjuro the GOAT tho.

What about the lawsuit Kurosawa filed? If it was authorized why the settlement?

I may have overstated my previous post  :ufup
But I saw a Leone exhibit here and they had what was clearly communication between Jolly Films (the Italian producer) and Toho (IIRC) and a contract, granting exceptionally rights for a remake. I may have misremembered Kurosawa being a part of that ? It's also possible that the Italian parties violated said contract (I believe the right to remake the script was granted with some distribution / territories limits), that downright swiping some of the camera work was felt to be in breach or that the contract was voided at one point.

Sorry I can't be more precise.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #22913 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Otherwise I bought the Blu Ray for R100, the latest (?) Hitoshi Matsumoto film. I'm a bit weary it's gonna be unfocused as I'm not sure he can repeat making "almost normal" Symbol but heh. We'll see.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22914 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
Audition is finally out on Blu-Ray in NA. :whew Still waiting for my favorite j-horror, Suicide Club.
©@©ô

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #22915 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Saw The Blood of Wolves by Kazuya Shiraishi tonight, a film with an ambitious lineage as the director -who started working under Koji Wakamatsu- wanted to achieve something reminiscent of Kinji Fukasaku and his raw and utterly "deromanticized" Yakuza flicks. It starts on a high note, drowning in literal pig shit and setting up a Yakuza gang war in 1988 Hiroshima but after a strong opening the story sort of throw every trope along the kitchen sink for "antihero crooked cop / rookie partner really acting as an internal affair mole" and the film wanders off into becoming a pretty but purposeless catalogue that no amount of slick photography, energetic direction or graphic gore can save from awkward pacing. At the end the story get so contrived (and infatuated with his vigilante antihero) that it felt more like watching a crime based soap opera with nice production value than a film.

Lead actor Kōji Yakusho has a good performance tho.

Edit : One interesting bit from the director, when asked by the audience about preliminary research with actual gangsters, was that because of the 2012 anti gang law it was basically impossible to do so because it could be legally presented as associating with yakuzas and possibly jeopardizing the film, with potential for authorities to limit or forbid distribution. Apparently the law is so severe that yakuzas can have issues even entering their kids into the school system... A far cry from Fukusaku days when yakuzas ate with the crew or helped block circulation during the shoot
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:18:46 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22916 on: February 14, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Sometimes a movie like that grows on you after a second or third watch because you can watch it without the expectations you had.
HALP!

Stro

« Reply #22917 on: February 16, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Polar (2019)

A little disappointed this wasn't as trashy as I had hoped, tbh. I enjoyed it, though, and am fully on board for the enthusiastically trashy action movies wave that has started and stopped between Crank and John Wick movies.  I'm sure a lot of these movies get made, but not with any names or promotion that you'll ever see unless you go out of your way to look for those type of movies.

Sexual objectification is cool
Murdering is cool
Drugs are cool except when they're not
Violence is cool

:lawd

Now, did a trashy action movie based on a fucking web comic need to be 2 hours long? No, probably not. Mads is awesome, Vanessa Hudgens I hope was made up to look bad because she's only 30 and looked like she's been living a very rough 10 years, fucking Richard Dreyfuss OUTTA NOWHERE  :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22918 on: February 16, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
©@©ô

Stro

« Reply #22919 on: February 16, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
Yojimbo (1961)

I was really into this until the 3rd act, then it lost me almost completely to the point where I looked up memes for a bit because I was so bored. I don't even know why. The "twist" came and my brain went dead.