Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4181101 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22680 on: June 19, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
Saw an early screening of Dope Wednesday night and it lived up to its name. Really funny coming of age movie with a great soundtrack (Scott Vener) an awesome cast (Tyga is only in it for about a minute). Feels like it's been a while since we got a good black movie that doesn't leave you feeling depressed.

The only black movies allowed are civil rights era flicks where people can root for those underdog negros or minstrel movies where tyler perry can act a fool or some damaged women can find a good man.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22681 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »
Don't get the passion on either side of the fence for Jurassic World. Most I can say is I found it inoffensive. Not dumb enough to laugh at, not fun enough to be thrilling. It kinda just washed over me. Surprised to find the kids the most interesting characters, mostly because they're the only actual characters in the movie. They actually had arcs, whereas Chris Pratt played "cool guy" and DBH played "uptight woman."
zzzzz

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22682 on: June 20, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
Don't get the passion on either side of the fence for Jurassic World. Most I can say is I found it inoffensive. Not dumb enough to laugh at, not fun enough to be thrilling. It kinda just washed over me. Surprised to find the kids the most interesting characters, mostly because they're the only actual characters in the movie. They actually had arcs, whereas Chris Pratt played "cool guy" and DBH played "uptight woman."

This made it that much worse for me. I would have been okay with it being a trainwreck, but it was just completely lukewarm. It was a lot more competent than it had any right to be - the script was awful and the CGI was pretty bad - but there was nothing gripping about it at all. I was hoping it would either be awful or awesome dumb fun, but it just wound up being flat as shit.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22683 on: June 20, 2015, 12:55:47 AM »

This made it that much worse for me. I would have been okay with it being a trainwreck, but it was just completely lukewarm. It was a lot more competent than it had any right to be - the script was awful and the CGI was pretty bad - but there was nothing gripping about it at all. I was hoping it would either be awful or awesome dumb fun, but it just wound up being flat as shit.

Totally agree. That's why I have to scratch my head when people say it's the dumbest movie they've ever seen or call it incompetent. It's neither. It's just boring.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22684 on: June 20, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Jurassic World was super dumb.  I enjoyed it.  Hope the next one is in like 6 years and takes place underwater. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #22685 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »
San Andreas.

Meh movie, pretty cliched.
But Alexandra tho...

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22686 on: June 22, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
Inside Out was incredibly cute.  Amy Poehler is charming af

Not at all as emotional as I heard, but perhaps I need to be a parent to understand it fully.  The concept was very unique – in my eyes, Pete Doctor and Andrew Stanton are Pixar's best talent.

Rankings:

Nigh-perfect tier:

1.) Wall-E
2.) Ratatouille
3.) Toy Story 3
4.) Up

Upper-tier:

5.) Inside Out
6.) Monster's Inc
7.) The Incredibles
8.) Toy Story
9.) Toy Story 2
10.) Finding Nemo

Decent:

11.) Monsters University
12.) A Bug's Life
13.) Brave

Shit:
14.) Cars
15.) Cars 2
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22687 on: June 23, 2015, 12:48:52 AM »
Just saw Brave today,  think its my third favorite after Up and Toy Story 3. 

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22688 on: June 25, 2015, 02:19:09 AM »
Slow West was pretty good. Nice to have a modern western that didn't need to be a 3 hour epic. I'd recommend it.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22689 on: June 25, 2015, 05:37:28 AM »
Slow West was pretty good. Nice to have a modern western that didn't need to be a 3 hour epic. I'd recommend it.
I've been really curious about that one. Previews for it make it unclear if it's a dark comedy or a drama.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22690 on: June 25, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
I've been really curious about that one. Previews for it make it unclear if it's a dark comedy or a drama.
Definitely a bit of both. At its core it's a satire of film and literature that romanticizes the west.
zzzzz

Enl

« Reply #22691 on: June 25, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
Jurassic World was super dumb.  I enjoyed it.  Hope the next one is in like 6 years and takes place underwater.

Jurassic UnderWorld: Dinosaurus fishies versus vamps and werewolves.... Yeah, I'd probably see that.

mmm

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22692 on: June 26, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

How did this get made?
vin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22693 on: June 26, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

How did this get made?

bullshit  :lol

that has to be a trailer specific edit, not an actual edit that's in the film. No way :dead

Steve Contra

« Reply #22694 on: June 26, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »

How did this get made?

bullshit  :lol

that has to be a trailer specific edit, not an actual edit that's in the film. No way :dead

HOW. DID. THIS. GET. MADE.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22695 on: June 26, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
:mindblown

Steve Contra

« Reply #22696 on: June 26, 2015, 05:28:24 PM »
That was a scene real people who make lots of money at a large company decided was a good representation of the movie for advertising purposes.
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22697 on: June 26, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
It's mind-boggling that a movie made 30 years ago on a minuscule budget had far better writing, acting, editing, and action:

dog

cool breeze

« Reply #22698 on: June 26, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »
a reminder

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22699 on: June 26, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »
Terminator: Genishit
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22700 on: June 26, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
Each new entry is so bad that it causes people to think, hey, maybe that last wasn't so bad after all.
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22701 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »
James Cameron seal of approval.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22702 on: June 29, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »

How did this get made?

The editing bothers me less than the terrible job they did at compositing Arnie's face on the stuntman. Dufus should apply to a VFX house.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #22703 on: June 29, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Each new entry is so bad that it causes people to think, hey, maybe that last wasn't so bad after all.

Zelda cycle?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22704 on: June 29, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
Jurassic World has already made over $1.2 billion worldwide in just 17 days. That's...really incredible.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #22705 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #22706 on: June 30, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »
I'm so fucking there. Rocky Balboa was actually good.
AMC

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22707 on: July 01, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »
I thought that was a PD post at first.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22708 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:06 AM »
Looks ok but you can already tell it's going to be generic as fuck.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #22709 on: July 01, 2015, 02:06:31 AM »

Rocky Balboa was practically Rocky all over again but it managed to be good. At least this has a plausibly-aged actor starring as the boxer in it.
AMC

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22710 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »
It looks fucking great and I don't usually get excited for these kinda movies. Excellent trailer.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22711 on: July 01, 2015, 03:31:46 AM »
its promising that Micheal B. Jordan is so heavily featured in the trailer. That it appears not to be Rocky VII, but a film that's actually about a new character and has Rocky in it.

Its also nice to see Jordan breaking out. What the hell, I'll buy a ticket.

cool breeze

« Reply #22712 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
its promising that Micheal B. Jordan is so heavily featured in the trailer. That it appears not to be Rocky VII, but a film that's actually about a new character and has Rocky in it.

Its also nice to see Jordan breaking out. What the hell, I'll buy a ticket.

yeah, the pitch read like a Rocky V done well.  Rocky the trainer being the main story.  a movie centered on Adonis Creed, with Rocky taking Mickey's role, is far more interesting.  and weirdly reserved for a big movie.

also, Avon tells Wallace his dad died in the ring...against a russian super soldier, on a stage that rose from the floor, with james brown singing living in america.  I love how the reel the craziness for Balboa and now Creed.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22713 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »

Couldn't possibly be more generic than that Jake Gyllenhaal boxing movie.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22714 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
ZOMBIE KIDS!
« Reply #22715 on: July 01, 2015, 11:47:24 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22716 on: July 05, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
http://io9.com/zack-snyder-finally-defended-the-carnage-in-man-of-stee-1715766431

Now, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Snyder has defended the destruction of Metropolis, and confirmed a theory that we’ve long entertained.

In the interview, Snyder explains that the violence has a purpose, and that there will be consequences for Superman:

I was surprised because that’s the thesis of Superman for me, that you can’t just have superheroes knock around and have there be no consequences.

The destruction of Metropolis is something that will figure into the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and it will certainly inform Bruce Wayne’s impressions of Superman when the pair meet up, according to Ben Affleck:

One of the things I liked was Zack’s idea of showing accountability and the consequences of violence and seeing that there are real people in those buildings. And in fact, one of those buildings was Bruce Wayne’s building so he knew people who died in that Black Zero event.

lmao, comic book movies

©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22717 on: July 05, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »
Snyder  :kobeyuck
An adaptation is always a betrayal, but he seems to be constantly out of touch with what he is putting on the screen.
ὕβρις

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #22718 on: July 05, 2015, 11:59:54 PM »
He doesn't seem to understand that no one cares about the destruction that happened to Metropolis. They care that Superman didn't care about it.
WDW

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22719 on: July 06, 2015, 01:02:06 AM »
Batman is going to beat up Superman for bankrupting Wayne Indemnity, Inc. a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises and the largest general liability insurer in Metropolis.

Finally some real accountability in comics.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22720 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:51 AM »
Saw Her over the weekend.

It raises a bunch of fascinating questions, it really pushes the envelope on your comfortableness with the ideas, but ultimately doesn't really pay off into anything. Phoenix is great, as usual. I love the way Spike Jonez shoots movies, they look great and the perspectives he chooses are top notch. The representation of the "near future" is handled really well.

But emotionally, the movie never really "gets there".

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22721 on: July 06, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
Speaking of Snyder in the other movie thread, who just watched the Watchmen ? I did and it was mediocre as expected. As usual Snyder overdo everything and is pretty tone deaf at several important points. CG VFX ages so poorly as well...
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22722 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
Watchmen was garbage when it came out. If Snyder was just gonna fuck it up anyway, he should have at least had the balls to go Full Squid™.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22723 on: July 07, 2015, 12:18:53 AM »
I don't mind the changes in the plot, they were unavoidable but there are some jarring stuff (Kovacs big flashback with the dogs, the end to that has been modified for something shitty). In fact he should have gone way beyond, as it stands there is a lot of junk that could have been cut. It's a bit pointless to have the kiosk guy and the comics reader at the end when they were virtually absent during all the film : it's just a superficial faithfulness that highlights how Snyder is often just mimicking and playing make-believe. A lot of the "period" thing is also hollow, like the fake big nose of Nixon and Kissinger. Maybe the right idea was like Gilliam (I believe ? One of the directors previously attached anyhow) wanted, to make it happen in the "present" like the comics in its own time.

Regarding Rorschach, I also think it was handled correctly : The book is pretty ambivalent to begin with. He's pushed to the forefront a couple times more. Snyder upped the ante on the violence however (In a way, he's Rorschacing the film) and coupled with his abuse of slo-mo and bombast, it often made me cringe. Under all the production value there's moments where all of his bad taste comes to the surface and it is embarassing, the two worst offenders being the hilarious sex scene and the failed murder attempt on Veidt. Last major issue for me is the really bad pacing. They said Watchmen could not be brought to the screen and well... the movie proves the point. It's impossible to cram the backstory in there, and even with a lite version, it's still disjointed and long. So in the end you have a not so competent by the numbers blockbuster which is par for the course as far as Alan Moore adaptations goes (hopefully no one has yet seized Halo Jones so far...).

300 was not that faithful (but it's not Miller best work, I still like it).

The only Snyder film I like is Dawn of the Dead (and still... the director's cut starts bloating the movie), the only film adaptation where he went balls to the wall in the opposite direction of the source.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #22724 on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:32 AM »
Dawn of the Dead is great, Watchmen is Snyder's next-best but falls short of the source, and the rest of his filmography is a putrid blend of shit and trash. Shrash.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22725 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »
I'm afraid (and not too keen) to watch Sucker Punch, a movie where Snyder talk to us about the delicate problems of mental illness and sex crimes  :-\
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22726 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
It's got great opening credits a memorable intro, and the whole armored van ending was on level, and that's well enough to remember a film. The actual writing in between maybe does not hold up too good (haven't seen it recently) but the movie happened as the zombie wave was rising and was fairly fresh. It's certainly better than Land of the Dead or that total trainwreck that is WWZ.
ὕβρις

Steve Contra

« Reply #22727 on: July 07, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
I'm afraid (and not too keen) to watch Sucker Punch, a movie where Snyder talk to us about the delicate problems of mental illness and sex crimes  :-\
Please don't
vin

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #22728 on: July 07, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
Snyder makes good trailers. That's about it imo.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22729 on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:30 AM »
Black Sea

Oh god. This movie's script was pretty laughable. Lots of eye-rollingly bad dialogue and the characters are dumb and one-dimensional. Still, it did a decent enough job of conveying how fucking scary every subnautical nightmare situation is, so I had an ok time. Baffled that this is a 82% on RT.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22730 on: July 09, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »
Please don't

Sucker Punch is a steaming pile of doo-doo sculpted into an enticingly pleasing shape. But it's still doo-doo.

It's the movie where I decided I would never watch anything by Snyder that he wrote himself. The man has no sense of pace, plot, structure, restraint. Nothing.

The whole movie also would have been improved if he'd given any kind of actual anchor in a believable world, against which the pathological retreat worlds would actually bear some contrast.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22731 on: July 10, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
Watched Rescue Dawn. Liked it quite a bit, but the thing I kept pondering was why doesn't Steve Zahn get more serious work? Is he a huge dick or something? He's got some pretty solid dramatic chops and he endured what must've been a completely miserable Herzog jungle shoot. How does that not catch the attention of casting directors? Or maybe he's already been too deeply type-cast as the goofy guy?
zzzzz

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22732 on: July 10, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
He's pretty far down the Hollywood food chain at this point, but yeah he's probably going to spend the rest of his career being underrated. Check out A Perfect Getaway sometime, a tight little thriller that was nobody watched.

saw Terminator: Genisys, today. Not great, should have held out for the European cut, Terminator: Mega Dryve.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22733 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
His Dawn Of The Dead sucks  :yuck I'm beginning to believe I'm the only one who thinks that.

I hated that Dawn of the Dead and the fact that it was so popular pissed me off.

Then again I'm about as big a fanboy as you can be of the original so I'm pretty biased.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22734 on: July 11, 2015, 04:21:34 AM »
Romero's Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are fun films with strong core messages. Then Day of the Dead came along and failed to really make a point, and each following thing Romero has done with zombies has been worse than what Georgie Lucas did to his own magnum opera.

It doesn't take away from the original to have a remake. I enjoyed watching Patricia Tallman have a shot at becoming a horror/action star in Night, and Zack's Dawn was plenty of fun, even with the controversy about running zombies. The ending was particularly good, once they reach the island during the credits.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22735 on: July 11, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
Day is my favorite. I don't think it's pointless. Think it's point is fairly clear. I mean the only ones who make it out are the drunk radio operator, the carefree pilot and the exhausted scientist.  All three end up shrugging off (failed) orders of their world. The head scientist was mad and all the military men were going mad.

It's kind of all in John's speech in the middle of the movie:

Sarah is the audience and the most of the film is spent trying to convince her that it's pointless. That the world is over and any chance of saving it is way too late. That the best we can hope for is to just warn others and start over.

Or you can just see the movie as a film about a bunch of hopeless assholes in a terrible place being nasty to each other and a few of the deserving characters make it out.

It's cheap, it's bleak but it's the only of the dead film that has ever stuck with me and I still rewatch it often.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22736 on: July 11, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I should re-watch it. I haven't seen it since its initial theatrical run, 30 years ago.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22737 on: July 11, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »
I love all three Night/Dawn/Day but Day is the one I honestly like more for cheesy reasons. It would definitely be the hardest one to show to a normal person and expect them to like it.

I think people are too harsh on Land of the Dead. That movie gets beat up a lot but I don't think its bad.

I didn't like Diary of the Dead. Never saw Survival of the Dead.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #22738 on: July 11, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
Zach Snyder makes shitty movies. Superman sucked. Batman & Superman will suck.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22739 on: July 11, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »
The original Dawn of the Dead is a character and tone movie. It's slow and awesome in way movies from the 70's were. 

The remake is an action movie. It's painful when it tries to do the character moments.

I understand why people like the remake. I just don't agree with the approach at all.

The 28 days franchise is more in sync with the original Dawn of the Dead which is why I prefer those movies also.