Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4179218 times)

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22440 on: May 03, 2015, 03:39:29 AM »
Donnie Yen has a new movie out, and I'm pleased, quite pleased indeed to rate it as one of his better films. Kung Fu Killer (AKA, Kung Fu Jungle), takes a blessedly stripped down approach to its plotting, characters, and even its action (no long drawn out bouts, nearly every one a relatively brief and brutal deathmatch). The martial arts themed crime investigation (I just loved typing that) proceeds as a serial killer is targeting masters of specific form and skill, can provisionally released convict Donnie Yen help the police end this madman's discriminate punching spree? Its serious enough without being prohibitively grim, its kinda silly but only in the right ways. Its a fun, very well made action movie. It may not be The Raid, but its probably the best second choice out there for fans of well executed face-kickings.

Other then some minimal use of some dodgy special effects I had no complaints, the affectionate nods towards Hong Kong's action film legacy may have helped sway me over further (turns out I'm a sucker for a lingering, out of context clip of of Lau Kar Leung).

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22441 on: May 03, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Suicide Squad

___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22442 on: May 03, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
As long as they avoid trying to make this grim-dark and serious, but instead keep it as a sort of Inglorious Basterds with super-villains, it could work.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:51:03 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #22443 on: May 03, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
so the group is: ??, captain boomerang, ??, katana (weird but ok), rick flagg, harley quinn, will smith, killer croc, el diablo?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22444 on: May 03, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
To be clear, the picture shows (from left to right) Adam Beach (Slipknot), Jai Courtney (Boomerang), Karen Fukuhara (rumored for Plastique, but clearly playing Katana), Cara Delevingne (Enchantress), Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flagg), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Will Smith (Deadshot), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc) and Jay Hernandez (El Diablo).
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #22445 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
well uh enchantress needs a shower

cool breeze

« Reply #22446 on: May 03, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »

I want to know how many seconds Will allows his face to be covered. 

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #22447 on: May 03, 2015, 10:43:45 PM »
Most of those costumes look pretty good
WDW

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22448 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
Slipknot  :comeon

Not just a shitty band, his superpower is....uh, tying stuff really good.

Should have had King Shark instead.  :'(
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #22449 on: May 03, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
As long as they avoid trying to make this grim-dark and serious, but instead keep it as a sort of Inglorious Basterds with super-villains, it could work.

I dunno, considering it's Ayer and all his movies are gritty, super serious, I'd actually really like it if this movie was like Sabotage and dirty & gritty.  Seriously, give me Sabotage and replace shitty DEA agents with dark hero superheroes/villains and the movie would be amazing.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #22450 on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »
I see Harley Quinn has been shopping at Hot Topic with the Joker

:hitler
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22451 on: May 04, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »
Quinn is pretty hot.  Croc also looks good.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22452 on: May 04, 2015, 04:00:51 AM »
Deadshot is dying in this movie. Will Smith is expensive as shit and using him in the first Suicide Squad movie as the marketable face to get the series going is a smart move. Plus Hollywood cannot let go of the "black guy dies" trope.
that's a pretty great guess, here's another, Joker will not be a major character in this film.

Leto is off of set, touring with his band. Wouldn't they need him if he's with everybody else in the Squad?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22453 on: May 04, 2015, 04:03:45 AM »
oh, and one more thing. I actually like how the Squad has more racial and gender diversity then the entire MCU has up til present. Good job guys.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22454 on: May 04, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Joker's gonna spend pretty much all his screen time locked up in Arkham. Maybe at the end he escapes or something, setting up a larger role in a subsequent movie. Anybody expecting anything different is fooling themselves.
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #22455 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
Of course they have to have scrub tier villains like Slipknot, he's obviously nothing more than cannon fodder to be killed off.
WDW

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22456 on: May 04, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Quinn looks like Anastasia Blue
:uguu

RIP

Tasty

« Reply #22457 on: May 04, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »

Alex Summers (Havok in First Class and Days of Future Past) and Scott Summers (Cyclops) are brothers in Apocalypse.

cool breeze

« Reply #22458 on: May 04, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
will there be a starjammers reference? 

Tasty

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22460 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22461 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
I'm okay with this.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22462 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »
ya im too.  could do without the pudding necklace or the other writing, but its still more fitting on her than the joker.

Tasty

« Reply #22463 on: May 05, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22465 on: May 06, 2015, 03:21:22 AM »

:tocry :gladbron
Wow that looks good
HYYYYPE

Every time I see the Mad Max commercials on TV, the hype in my pants rises. It looks so fucking good, I can't remember the last movie I've wanted to see like this.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22466 on: May 07, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
Orson Welles' final unfinished directorial effort (out of many) is soliciting crowdfunding to finish the post-production.

this of course gives Peter Bogdonavich yet more opportunities to bring out the ole' repertoire of Orson stories that he now tells semi-professionally. Naw, really, this is cool.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #22467 on: May 09, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
Just got back from Ex Machina, my first movie in a while... really enjoyed it, and not because the lead character is a fellow programmer from my hometown (that part got tons of cheers in the audience). I really liked the stark, minimalist setting and small cast, and the plot kept me wondering... you know something's up but you aren't exactly sure what. In a way it reminded me of Moon, that same type of ethics driven, unsettling sci-fi with a stark setting and small cast.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ending is depressing as shit for the kid, wasn't happy with the way it ended all too much
[close]
^_^

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22468 on: May 10, 2015, 02:39:09 AM »
Donnie Yen has a new movie out, and I'm pleased, quite pleased indeed to rate it as one of his better films. Kung Fu Killer (AKA, Kung Fu Jungle), takes a blessedly stripped down approach to its plotting, characters, and even its action (no long drawn out bouts, nearly every one a relatively brief and brutal deathmatch). The martial arts themed crime investigation (I just loved typing that) proceeds as a serial killer is targeting masters of specific form and skill, can provisionally released convict Donnie Yen help the police end this madman's discriminate punching spree? Its serious enough without being prohibitively grim, its kinda silly but only in the right ways. Its a fun, very well made action movie. It may not be The Raid, but its probably the best second choice out there for fans of well executed face-kickings.

Other then some minimal use of some dodgy special effects I had no complaints, the affectionate nods towards Hong Kong's action film legacy may have helped sway me over further (turns out I'm a sucker for a lingering, out of context clip of of Lau Kar Leung).

I fell out hard of HK cinema a few years ago, which became pretty much garbage post-2000 or so. I found SPL and Operation Flashpoint to be turgid diarrhea for instance : Should I bother according to you ?
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22469 on: May 10, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »
Saw the Avengers last night.

They kind of whiffed on Ultron. It looked amazing and they did a pretty good job introducing it, but you never really felt the menace of the character. Having a human voice with Tony Stark's snark was a mistake.

While I loved all the little backstory touches in the film, it ultimately screwed up the pacing. The great thing about the first Avengers movie was how expertly they made a 2 1/2 hour film feel like 1 1/2 hours. This one really felt like a long movie.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #22470 on: May 11, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/201423

Late Phases is on Netflix.  It's an ok Old Man vs Werewolf movie.  Except the Old Man isn't helpless.  Everything which isn't an old man vs werewolves scene is kind of crappy though, and it's 100% because of the lack of budget beyond action sequences and effects. 

also added?  this

Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #22471 on: May 11, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
just watched John Wick

Muh Gawd :rejoice

Best action movie since when?
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22472 on: May 12, 2015, 01:47:17 AM »
Since the raid

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22473 on: May 12, 2015, 02:11:15 AM »
The new BR transfer of Escape from New York is superb.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22474 on: May 12, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
Watched a lot of stuff this weekend.

X Files Fight the Future

I love the X- Files, but somehow it can't hold my attention how it used to. Liked this movie, don't remember watching it back in the day. Feels like a long episode with the budget being blown on a few key scenes.

Boyz in the Hood

Classic, but the story is a bit melodramatic and sappy now I think. Hur dur, the kid that was gonna make it out gets shot.

Lucy

Nice little sci fi flick. Bit of like Limitless taken up to 11. Don't expect mega action.

The Drop

Ths Tom Hardy guy is pretty cool, movie was well made but the plot wasn't too good. Still enjoyed it and it's setting.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22475 on: May 12, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
The X-Files movie, even at the time, was criticized for being too much like an episode f the show writ long.

The Drop was a big surprise for me. I loved the acting across the board. Hardy especially proved his chops in an understated role. Mainly I enjoyed it as a character piece about a down on their luck segment of Americans.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22476 on: May 12, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
Memento, after owning it for like 6 years.  Very cool.

HiResDes

« Reply #22477 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »
I wish I could Lager's post two thumbs down for a negative Boyz N the Hood and a positive one of that braindead and messy piece of shit Lucy.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22478 on: May 13, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »
I fell out hard of HK cinema a few years ago, which became pretty much garbage post-2000 or so. I found SPL and Operation Flashpoint to be turgid diarrhea for instance : Should I bother according to you ?
This film has more action in it then either of those, and a bit more earnest ridiculousness. If you've never liked a Donnie Yen fronted flick you shouldn't bite on this one, but you absolutely should if you've ever dug the man's work.

Also, Ex Machina is probably going to make my end year 'Best Of' list (but I usually do really long lists, its great though), and Kingsmen is good fun.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22479 on: May 13, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
i really like boyz in the hood though, just a product of its time really.

Chrono: Drop and Hardy were big surprises. I didnt know him before, but I saw he is in Mad Max and now Im interested

HiResDes

« Reply #22480 on: May 13, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
never seen Locke or Bronson? You should probably check those out.

Tasty

« Reply #22481 on: May 13, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »
The more I think about Ex Machina, the more I absolutely hate the ending. It's okay when you're watching it the first time, but I think the ending is going to completely kill the film's rewatchability for me.

Is it a sappy ending? Please don't say it's a sappy ending.

Tasty

« Reply #22482 on: May 13, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
:umad There's such a thing as spoiler tags you pantywaist.

If it's got a sappy ending I'm not gonna see it, that's why I was asking.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22483 on: May 13, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
That's my problem with a lot of sci-fi movies. They set up these incredible premises/worlds in the first two acts and then fall apart in the third act when they have to deliver some kind of resolution. Usually the director/writer will fall back on typical Hollywood conventions. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22484 on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »
Thats why they should have semi open endings like Blade Runner

never seen Locke or Bronson? You should probably check those out.

Will check it out

HiResDes

« Reply #22485 on: May 13, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
That's my problem with a lot of sci-fi movies. They set up these incredible premises/worlds in the first two acts and then fall apart in the third act when they have to deliver some kind of resolution. Usually the director/writer will fall back on typical Hollywood conventions.
Sunshine instantly comes to mind.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22486 on: May 13, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
Movies like A.I., Prometheus, Signs were others that I had in mind.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22487 on: May 13, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Interstellar as well.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22488 on: May 13, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
I had no problems with Looper's ending, nor Snowpiercer, Under the Skin, Moon, Source Code, Children of Men...

but yeah, very often Sci-Fi shits the bed near the end, too many turn into action movies or something for the last act. Hell, more often then not most movies don't really stick the landing. I'm a big Nolan fan, but even I'd say that most of his films didn't end all that well (exceptions made for Memento, The Prestige, and Following).

Beezy

« Reply #22489 on: May 13, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Just watched Mad Max for the first time. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. I'm guessing The Road Warrior is where shit gets crazy. Gonna watch that tomorrow and then see Fury Road on Friday.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22490 on: May 13, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Mad Max is kinda meh tbh. Road Warrior is what you want.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22491 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
Don't skip thunderdome either.  Its so shitty you can't skip it.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22492 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »
I'd probably have loved the first Mad Max in a pre-Road Warrior world. As it is though the original just feels like George Miller had big ideas but not the budget to support them.
zzzzz

HiResDes

« Reply #22493 on: May 13, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
Under the Skin is such a boring film that starts off quite interesting and just goes absolutely nowhere exciting in my opinion. Looper focuses too much on ancillary characters and doesn't spend enough time on its central ones. The movie would have been amazing without the farmland or the cheesy ass kid. Snowpiercer is cornball right from the start, so it doesn't really go downhill, because it couldn't. The first half of Sunshine is amazing and the last third is tragically bad.

...Moon is amazing all around.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22494 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »
Mad Max is kinda meh tbh. Road Warrior is what you want.

I always hear this. I'm starting to think that me and my brother are the only people on earth who think the first Mad Max is great too  :'(

The Road Warrior is definitely the better movie, though.

Nah, I got your back; Mad Max is great. Road Warrior is GOAT. Beyond Thunderdome....well, I won't defend it, but I do still enjoy watching it sometimes.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22495 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
The Barter Town stuff in Beyond Thunderdome is pretty good, but everything else just kinda falls flat for the most part.

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22496 on: May 14, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »

WHERE ARE THE HOLOGRAMS

WHAT ABOUT THE MISFITS

But seriously, stripping away most of that hilariously weird 80's glam punk aesthetic kills whatever tiny interest I had. Not that I really expected them to keep that aspect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:15:41 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #22497 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
yeah, that looks like every "girl finds fame but loses herself" movie ever made
sup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22498 on: May 14, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
what is this I can't even  :fbm

It looks more like PG-13 Showgirls than Jem and the Holograms.
©@©™

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22499 on: May 14, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
Makes Josie and the Pussycats look compelling.