Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170127 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22620 on: June 08, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
I don't even feel bad now for giving $600,000 to that distinguished mentally-challenged Wizard in the Forest movie and another Marvel Avengers Bullshit Dirt.
©@©™

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22621 on: June 08, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Marvel Avengers Bullshit Dirt.

Can't stop laughing at this :lol :lol :lol
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #22622 on: June 08, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
UWE BOLL MELTDOWN

"Mahvel Avengerz boolshit dert"

studyguy

« Reply #22623 on: June 08, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Ridley Scott directing a screenplay from Cabin in the Woods' director/co-writer about Matt Damon stuck on Mars:

The trailer is heavy with spoilers, so be warned.

I really enjoyed that book.
I hope this film is decent.

Also that trailer gave away way, way too much.
pause

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22624 on: June 08, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »
I didn't finish the book (halfway through maybe) and can place all the scenes. Don't think they gave away that much.

Not surprised it got turned into a movie. Already reads like a script, save for some trim and formatting. It's a very quick read with barely any fluff.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #22625 on: June 08, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
i would no lie watch a movie about a distinguished mentally-challenged wizard in the forest
sup

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22626 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:22 AM »
Spy :fabulous

Started slow having me worried it was gonna suck but the jokes picked up and I laughed a decent amount.

Doesn't play the fat angle for laughs as much as you'd think, and somehow she's really physically adept at her job.

I also liked Bridesmaids

Tasty

« Reply #22627 on: June 10, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »

https://instagram.com/p/3wovKBRD62/

Quicksilver super-confirmed for Apoc :rejoice :rejoice

:bow Based Singer :bow2

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22628 on: June 10, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Ridley Scott directing a screenplay from Cabin in the Woods' director/co-writer about Matt Damon stuck on Mars:

Just tell me: are there aliens in this movie, yes or no.

studyguy

« Reply #22629 on: June 10, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »

Just tell me: are there aliens in this movie, yes or no.

No, it's 100% drama/suspense with a lot humor injected in what is otherwise a real tense situation.
Feel like having Damon play the lead kills some of it tho. It's just MAAAATTT DAAAMOOON IN SPAAAAAAAAACEEE now.

In the books it's basically this dude who get stuck and is like
:yeshrug

Fuck I'ma die anyway so might as well go out doing all the dumbest mcguyver shit to live that prob won't work anyway.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:53:53 PM by studyguy »
pause

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22630 on: June 10, 2015, 06:08:42 PM »
XKCD described it perfectly:

studyguy

« Reply #22631 on: June 10, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
XKCD described it perfectly:
(Image removed from quote.)

That sounds right, honestly I'd suggest just listening to the audiobook.
It will probably go over better than the film.
pause

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22632 on: June 13, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
jurassic world was fucking terrible
püp

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #22633 on: June 13, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
the cg in the commercials looks quite bad.

a lot of the original takes place at night, so you can't really see it that well, but overall, it looks better than the new one.

i saw it a few days ago, and it still holds up very well. great film.
zzz

cool breeze

« Reply #22634 on: June 13, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
what sticks out in the trailers is the caked on make up on andy.  I can't tell if it's intentional, maybe he's an actor playing an actor or something. 

apparently it's making tons of money due to nostalgic parents taking their kids, like what happened with phantom menace.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22635 on: June 13, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Pratt was of course great in it despite an absolutely horrid script.  Terrible lines, incomprehensible plot.  There are four main storylines going on that you can tell were all individually picked from separate scripts and placed into one shitty movie.  Movie-kids fucking suck yet again (they were bad in the first movie and they're even worse here).  Bryce Dallas Howard is fucking gorgeous but worthless in this movie.

But the worst thing is there is like a 90/10 split between CG and practical effects.  The first movie worked really well due to the use of practical effects for the creatures during crucial, scary moments.  The practical effects on the raptors during ONE SCENE was nice, but after that, its all crappy CG.  Terrible use of the dinosaurs too.  No wonder, no curiosity, just "here's a dino doing shit.  Shut the fuck up and eat your popcorn."
püp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22636 on: June 13, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
Wonder? Curiosity? Fuck that shit. I wanna see dinos tearing shit up. The last hour did that for me. It was worth seeing in the theater for the spectacle

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #22637 on: June 13, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »
I'm perfectly cool with a dino movie being about dinos doing shit. I'mma eat some popcorn
dur

studyguy

« Reply #22638 on: June 14, 2015, 02:59:11 AM »
Saw Jurrasic World lit as fuck in 3D.
We got there late so we sat like right infront, was packed.

Fuck all this shit, it was way better than I expected it to be.
Real brutal shit considering the fact that it did almost no gore too, pretty trippy.
Lots of call backs to the old films, lots of weird plot inconsistencies too, but whatev.
That last fight
:lawd
pause

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22639 on: June 14, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
Jurassic World made $204 million on opening weekend, putting it just a hair below The Avengers for the biggest opening weekend ever.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22640 on: June 14, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »
Do Chinese people like dinosaurs? 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22641 on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
are you fuckers taking crazy pills
püp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22642 on: June 14, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
I havent seen the movie but Im with BN here

Didnt someone post that article here why modern cg (use) is crap?

Tasty

« Reply #22643 on: June 14, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »
Seeing it in a few hours. Will let you all know my authoritative and definitive thoughts so we can put this debate to rest.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22644 on: June 14, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
Do Chinese people like dinosaurs? 

Everyone likes dinosaurs.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #22645 on: June 14, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
Jurassic World

I'm not a huge dinosaur/Jurassic Park fan and had low expectations going into it based on the trailers not being very impressive, but it satisfied me at least.

- The kids were fine. I could have done without the camera constantly showing the older bro eye-raping every girl in his age group, but younger bro was good.
- Effects were good. I might be blind but I couldn't notice the differences between CG and practical here, I just assumed everything was CG or touched-up. JP1 is still king but it's not like this is an Asylum movie or something.
- The story was predictable and samey. If it's been a while since you've seen JP1 and 2 then it won't matter much, but the plot is basically those two movies. I give props to JP3 for changing things up at least.
- Some really cringeworthy dialogue at times.
- It's hard for me to see the Indominus Rex as anything but Spinosaurus++. It's literally the exact same concept, just with better buid-up and some neat tricks. It even looks similar, to me (claws especially.)
- Like the Spinosaurus, the I.R. did "get" me a couple times and did come off as scary and imposing.
- The final battle redeems most of the faults I have with the movie.

3.5 / 5

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #22646 on: June 14, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
I am boycotting the film for not having feather'd dinosaurs. dangerous birds are much cooler than dangerous lizards.

Tasty

« Reply #22647 on: June 14, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
I am boycotting the film for not having feather'd dinosaurs. dangerous birds are much cooler than dangerous lizards. (Image removed from quote.)

They blatantly lampshade that in the film.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #22648 on: June 14, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »
JW was a fucking turd.
reckt

Himu

« Reply #22649 on: June 14, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »
Watched Inglorious Basterds for the first time since release and...it really isn't that good, unfortunately. It's got a lot of problems.

- despite the titular title the Basterds are the least interesting thing in the movie and the movie should have been about Shosanna, the war hero, and her plan only. The basterds aren't even that interesting and Pitt's acting/accent are horrendous.

-underdeveloped characters. It's no surprise that the most developed characters are Shosanna and co. The Basterds are flat and one dimensional. Two of the Basterds sacrifice themselves in the theater and you don't give a shit because who the fuck are they? Guys in the pub? Who gives a shit? Who are they? You form more attachment to the guy who is celebrating the birth of his son than the Basterds in that scene.

- weird, annoying editing. It suffers from family guy itiis where they mention something and instead of trusting the audience they to have to interrupt the flow the action to show us in some cheesy flashback when it really wasn't worth showing in the first place.

- Tarantino has gone on to say that Shosanna and the war hero would be lovers of it were any other period of time but they have no chemistry, especially romance wise, and the guys forceful manner is just fucking annoying and if Tarantino finds that romanctic (the two form an L when they die and when Shosanna's shot it made to look almost like a love scene)  then he's pretty fucked up.

Just a really middling movie surprisingly despite loving it the first time. It's all over the place, and I can't blame it because it was in production hell for so long.
IYKYK

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #22650 on: June 14, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
Christoph Waltz and Mélanie Laurent are the only good bits in Inglorious Basterds imo. And yeah, most Tarantino movies are annoying and yeah, he's pretty fucked up.

Beezy

« Reply #22651 on: June 14, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
I've always thought this, but never cared enough to argue with people who thought it was Tarantino's best movie.

Himu

« Reply #22652 on: June 14, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
New ranking:

Pulp Fiction > Jackie brown > Death Proof > Kill Bill 2 > Django > RD > IG > Kill Bill 1
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #22653 on: June 14, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »
Django still has better characterization, so it's easy to forgive its flaws. IG, half the cast are "I don't know that characters name" status

But I will concede that IG has higher highs, but its lows are much lower than Django's.
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #22654 on: June 14, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
You can tell IG was in the works for a long time.  He had a bunch of ideas for the movie and he tried to cram them all into the movie.  I don't think IG was worthy of having a part 2 but even at 2 1/2 hours, it either needed to be longer or Tarantino just needed to cut some sections of the movie out and further develop the rest.

Except for Kill Bill Volume One, he hasn't made a bad movie.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #22655 on: June 14, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
Yeah, it's not really a bad movie. Despite my issues with it I could still see why I loved it in the first place. It has a lot of amazing scenes.

KB1 is the only movie of his I would say is bad.
IYKYK

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #22656 on: June 14, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
I remember Kill Bill being hot shit on release. When did people turn on it?
reckt

Tasty

« Reply #22657 on: June 14, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Yeah I don't get the KB1 hate at all.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #22658 on: June 14, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
I remember liking it better than 2, but haven't seen either in like 10 years.

Himu

« Reply #22659 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
I remember Kill Bill being hot shit on release. When did people turn on it?

I never thought it was hot shit. :yeshrug Volume 2 massacres it. Volume 1 is over before anything actually happens. There's virtually zero character development sans O-Ren, it's just a straight action fest with random anime scenes. Tarantino movies before Volume 1 were often with conflicted characters and if not that, well written characters with depth. A lot of the movie feels flat out amateurish by Tarantino's standard. You can tell that the movie was a direct response towards the criticisms aimed at Jackie Brown - which owns. It was a response to the market, so Tarantino made it as vapid and action-packed as possible, which is okay when you want to get back in the directors seat and do something refreshing after almost a decade of no work. But Volume 2 was more true to Tarantino's style while still being an action-based revenge kill em all romp.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22660 on: June 15, 2015, 04:04:55 AM »
It's probably because the kung-fu and revenge movies it is a tribute to were full of nonsensical action.

Or, hey, maybe Quentin was suddenly feeling slavish to the market forces, trying to appeal to the common man.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22661 on: June 15, 2015, 05:18:45 AM »
http://io9.com/alien-and-prometheus-mashup-redeems-the-latter-1711096593

Student editing project combines ALIEN and PROMETHEUS; it's good.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22662 on: June 15, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
Inglorious is a pretty unbalanced film but when it is good, it's really good and probably one of Tarantino's best. I'd say that's maybe his most brilliant implementation of a "movie about movies" (The whole Nazi sniper flick, etc...) and I also like how far he is willing to go. Twisting history like that was bold and he makes it work. In the end the film lives by its intro, end and the tavern bit only...

Death Proof is IMHO by far his shittiest movie.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22663 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:45 AM »
Watched Get Hard with me wife, AAA comedy with a million stereotypes. Will Ferrel plays Will Ferrel and I love it. 3 out of 5 for Dogface alone.

Also watched Ex Machina which was much better then I expected going by the trailers, 4/5!

« Reply #22664 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
I really enjoyed Jurassic World in 3D. I thought it was the best in the series since the original. I think the casting and score were particularly strong and enjoyed the many callbacks, although I could have done with one or two less dinosaur nose shot sniffing scenes. The film didn't take itself too seriously either—a couple of the jokes were aimed at itself and movie tropes.

The featherless dinosaurs thing was surprising to me too but I think that was just an omage to the original.

I would say this is more in vein with today's frantic disaster movies than the suspenseful pacing of the original, but ultimately it's a rewarding installment in the dinos gonna dino genre.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22667 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
I really enjoyed Jurassic World in 3D. I thought it was the best in the series since the original. I think the casting and score were particularly strong and enjoyed the many callbacks, although I could have done with one or two less dinosaur nose shot sniffing scenes. The film didn't take itself too seriously either—a couple of the jokes were aimed at itself and movie tropes.

The featherless dinosaurs thing was surprising to me too but I think that was just an omage to the original.

I would say this is more in vein with today's frantic disaster movies than the suspenseful pacing of the original, but ultimately it's a rewarding installment in the dinos gonna dino genre.

What about putting a scene in the next Jurassic Park where we find out the dinosaurs are always angry and rebelling against the park handlers because there's a special dinosaur shaving room, where they're plucked or shaved?

« Reply #22668 on: June 16, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
Or they explain the dinosaurs don't have feathers because they selected against it in the laboratory and someone lectures them knowingly that going against nature will have consequences they are not prepared for?

There's plenty of room for more sequels. What if North Korea or the Islamic State got their hands on some of those dino embryos?

Oh man, I think I just wrote half a Jurassic park screenplay.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #22669 on: June 16, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
Dinosaurs don't have feathers in the general imagination of what dinosaurs looks like, it doesn't really matter if the scientific consensus at present is that they actually did. The first Jurassic Park was obviously interested in the wonder of actual dinosaurs. Imagine if we somehow managed to resurrect dinosaurs and could marvel at them, like we do other imposing animals we put in zoos and film for wild life documentaries, etc? The film wanted to inspire kids to get interested in dinosaurs, the history and science of the real thing.

I haven't seen Jurassic World, but it from what I have read it seems the film posits dinosaurs simply existing is a bit boring, and the park arranges events (raptor fights?) that draw an audience. Now, you can take this as a swipe against the movie going public or whatever, but at the very least it certainly makes clear it's aspiration to spectacle rather than awe. 

I would personally have loved to see dinosaurs with feathers, not for scientific accuracy, but because it would be a cool new way of imagining dinosaurs.

« Reply #22670 on: June 16, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
For anyone interested, it's not just feathers that have changed the way dinosaurs look since the original Jurassic Park came out. Look at this fucking guy:

If that's not terrifying I don't know what is. 

Here's a velociraptor:

More:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/aristic-depictions-of-dinosaurs-have-undergone-two-revolutions/

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #22671 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
I'm a big Tarantino fan but I kinda never understood the praise for inglorious bastards. I thought it was the least interesting of his films and worst of all there were parts where I was just bored. Which almost never happens for me in his movies.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22672 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »
John Hurt has pancreatic cancer.

Ah, dammit. Also, he's 75? For some reason that surprises me, like that is easily the lowest age possible he could be but I'd still believe that if it were 2005.

Tasty

« Reply #22673 on: June 17, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
John Hurt has pancreatic cancer.

Ah, dammit. Also, he's 75? For some reason that surprises me, like that is easily the lowest age possible he could be but I'd still believe that if it were 2005.

Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when he was 46...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22674 on: June 17, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
He always looked old, even 35 years ago... Don't know if it's from unorthodox morphology or abuse...
ὕβρις

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22675 on: June 17, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
ah crap. I just remembered John Hurt was Gilliam's choice for the Don Quixote film he just got financing for. Shit, he'd be so great for that.

I think Hurt was hitting the brandy and the cigars pretty hard since he was in the womb, never using sunscreen all along the way.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22676 on: June 17, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
ah crap. I just remembered John Hurt was Gilliam's choice for the Don Quixote film he just got financing for. Shit, he'd be so great for that.

I think Hurt was hitting the brandy and the cigars pretty hard since he was in the womb, never using sunscreen all along the way.

No slight intended against Hurt, but this would only be the just-barely-most-recent Thing to Go Horribly Wrong for Gilliam's Don Quixote production.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22677 on: June 18, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
This new Terminator flick looks so lame, Christ...

I know remakes and sequels "do not erase the original movies" but how every franchise now need to be suck dry for decades really end up souring all those memories. Up until 2003, the name Terminator evoked two Hollywood sci-fi modern classics. 12 years later, a sea of mediocre movies.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:17:25 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22678 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

This looks fucking great

Beezy

« Reply #22679 on: June 19, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »
Saw an early screening of Dope Wednesday night and it lived up to its name. Really funny coming of age movie with a great soundtrack (Scott Vener) an awesome cast (Tyga is only in it for about a minute). Feels like it's been a while since we got a good black movie that doesn't leave you feeling depressed.