Author Topic: The new and improved movie discussion thread  (Read 1140504 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22620 on: December 31, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
TVC, watch this next:

HOLY SHIT THIS STARS THE SKIPPER.

five stars.

It's also got lots of thinly-veiled hillbilly incest.
dog

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22621 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Chungking Express

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22622 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »
Chungking Express

(Image removed from quote.)

Recently watched In the Mood for Love, twice. Wish Kar Wai would make something just as sadly insightful.  But thats like asking for another Sistine Chapel.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22623 on: December 31, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
Man, the first time I watched You Were Never Really Here, it left me cold and puzzled but this time around the portrait of this haunted dude is really hitting me.

Its filled to the gills with detail that can be missed when not always intently watching. Its only an hour anf thirty or so minutes so its all about show dont tell.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:38:54 PM by BlueTsunami »

TVC 15

• all the parties I go to are full of activists
« Reply #22624 on: December 31, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Back to good movies...

serge

Stro

« Reply #22625 on: December 31, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
I put Righteous Kill on, the Pacino/DeNiro/50 Cent joint....it starts with a cheesy shooting range montage straight out of 1996 as Bob and Al give dad laughs at each other about how they're making such a shitty movie.

TVC 15

« Reply #22626 on: January 01, 2019, 02:21:29 AM »
Someone give me a good movie or two to watch when I get home.
serge

TVC 15

« Reply #22627 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:04 AM »
The Bore FAILING ME YET AGAIN.
serge

filler

• the zionists have won :fbm
« Reply #22628 on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:03 AM »
watch Lexx

Stro

« Reply #22629 on: January 01, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »
Righteous Kill (2008)

Man...what the fuck. This is clearly a DTV movie that somehow stars two of the most respected actors in American cinema history who basically are playing caricatures of themselves. This feels like a movie that would air on HBO at LOT in 1998. I'd go so far as to say that Al and Bob are probably the worst aspects of the whole movie, if only because their inclusion at all draws more attention to what otherwise would be a completely ignorable Donnie Walhberg vehicle. In fact, I have to assume that he and John Legumezomo were probably in talks to be the the two leads, then were demoted when Deniro and Pacino somehow got attached. This is a bad movie, not even in a fun way, because it bums me out to see Pacino and DeNiro slumming it and clearly fucking off in a project they likely did just for vacation money or something.

Worst of all it's the kind of movie that deliberately "lies" to you so they can hit you with the SWERVE in the last 15 minutes, and on top of that the twist opens up a bunch of plot holes. I'm actually kind of offended at how trash this is considering some of the people in it (Pacino, DeNiro, Sterling K. Brown, Brian Dennehy, Donnie Walhburg, John Leguizamo, Carla Gugino).

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22630 on: January 01, 2019, 11:24:55 PM »
Re-watched (what am I doing with my life) that one not too long ago. Yeah, its pretty damn miserably bad. Millenium Films goes after big names on their slide down in their careers because they can sell their shit films internationally with a name attached despite the shittiness of the product.

Same company contracted Pacino for 88 Minutes (abysmal, but at least somewhat energetic) and De Niro for Killing Season (the film in which John Travolta gives a significantly more comitted performance than Robert De Niro).

Millenium films also made the recent, pointedly square and aggresively mediocore Hunter Killer, a submarine thriller that's exactly as generic as its title. Gerald Butler is a sub captain who never has to punch anyone, Gary Oldman shouts at people in conference rooms, and the films command of current geopolitics is adorably antiquated (at least they got to sell distribution rights to Russia). Its the filmic equivalent of a weaker Call of Duty storyline, but without enough explosions to maintain interest throughout. Of course its far from the worst Gerald Butler film, but aint that damning with faint praise.

Stro

« Reply #22631 on: January 02, 2019, 06:43:01 AM »
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018):

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice The Cruise Missile never lets me down. The quadruple swerve scene :aah What I wouldn't do to get Daniel Craig in the next one of these :lawd

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #22632 on: January 02, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
Tvc, you should watch Terror Train.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #22633 on: January 02, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
 Watched Into the spider-verse that was an awesome fun time. Don't know if it would be worth a non-matinee price to see in the theater but it was a lot of fun. Could use more movies in that visual style

Introduced the kids to The God Father: Part 1 Still a GOAT tier movie :delicious
que

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22634 on: January 02, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
Hey Hyper, wanna make a list of your favorite Hong Kong action movies?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22635 on: January 02, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
how much time ya got...

so back in the pre-streaming days, Netflix actually had an embarrassment of riches when it came to Region Free Hong Kong DVD imports. I was able to see so many wonderful films thusley. Sometimes they had crappy transfers or hilariously bad subtitles, but gol-dern it, when you're watching supernaturally handsome Takeshi Kaneshiro attempt to look downtrodden, it was easily worth it.

Hows about I recommend a really awesome obscurity instead. Bury Me High stars nobody who ever got internationally famous (Yuen Wah, the landlord from Kung Fu Hustle comes closest) and has a plot based on validating superstition. But being barking mad has never held back many a great action film from awesomeness. When its not being a lower rent Indiana Jones or Rambo 2 knock off, its supplying lots of great fight scenes and stuntwork that's crazy even by the standards of its era. Very few minutes of this film pass by wherein something strange or kickass is not happening, works for me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22636 on: January 03, 2019, 01:50:01 AM »
Spiderverse was amazing, really glad I saw it in 3d. 
NtGay

EightBitNate

« Reply #22637 on: January 03, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »
The Favorite is as good as everyone says it is. I’m usually not into historical movies when they’re played straight, so the comedic aspect of it was great. Very good chance it wins a couple acting Oscars. Roma is still my personal favorite of 2018 though.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22638 on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Yeah, I'll co-sign, The Favorite is high on Best Of list for the year. Hell, its not even a straight comedy and its still one of the funniest things I've seen this year by far. It may not be a quote-unquote 'comedy', it is however, richly entertaining, clever as hell, and the rare work of any media that can be accurately described as 'witty'. And like this year's earlier (and also superlative) The Death of Stalin, perhaps more than a little accurate as to how power shifts and is exercised in authoritarian regimes (IE, its dumb).

so The Favorite is plenty damn great, so of course I had to follow that with as much an opposite pick I could find. I didn't have warm memories exactly of Jason X, but I remembered liking it well enough back in its (DVD era) day. Seeing it again just a bit shocking, its friggin terrible. Everything looks just so shoddy, the cheapness of it all shines through. Maybe that's me seeing it in HD for the first time ever, or maybe that's just my rising standards over time. And yeah, its low hanging fruit to pick on a slasher movie for crappy production values and flat direction, but this film doesn't even have what should be a reliable strength of this sort of thing in having good kills. Its a drab, tedious Aliens ripoff, and for the first time in my life I didn't appreciate that at all. At least some of the practical effects have aged nicely.

Friday the 13th's 5-7 are my series best picks, if anybody was wondering.

TVC 15

« Reply #22639 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
I watched an 80s Brit children’s dark fantasy from the 80s called Paperhouse last night. I had never heard of it, but it was fabntastic, aside from a slightly fumbled (but understandably) ending. I can see why it was never released on video in the US. It’s very British. It’s directed by the dude that went on to do Candyman, also a beloved kids movie.

If you like dark kids shit from the 80s, check it out.
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22640 on: January 04, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

I've been wanting to see that forever. Roger Ebert wrote a review for it that made it sound awesome and its been on my To Watch list for like 25 years now.

(checks the internets)

FFS, it still hasn't ever gotten a physical American release. The hell?

Of course, that's one of the happy occurrences of our more connected world as it is, I didn't have to wait multiple years or even decades to see Hirokazu Kore-eda's latest slice of gentle and humane family drama Shoplifters. For some reason this film of his particular is garnering more notice than his other usually great output. I saw this just an hour ago in a well attended theater on what is now its third week of release. Its got a Golden Globe nomination and shortlisted for an Oscar nom, its also made pretty good dinero for what kind of film it is. I mention this because to me it wasn't a film I liked anymore than his other recent family dramas. Its good, even really good, but isn't at all revelatory.

And its such a minor complaint for what is a damn good film, but if you've seen Still Walking, Nobody Knows, After the Storm, Our Little Sister, well shit, you've seen how this dude conjures a fragile alchemy to make consistently great, near plotless domestic dramas about families relying on each other through thick or thin (very thin in this case of an itinerant clan of minor-league grifters). I'm glad the dude is getting some long overdue props, and its an easy recommendation for anybody who wants to see a thoughtful, well performed film that is a richly emotional experience that never once veers into unearned sentiment. By now, Koreeda is making this look easy, even though I know that it can't be.

TVC 15

« Reply #22641 on: January 05, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »
Paperhouse is available on iTunes and Youtube to rent. Check it out.

Watched Escape Room tonight and it... wasn't bad for what it was. If you like cheapie cranked-out horror and don't mind some stupidity and silliness, it's engaging and has a few tense scenes. It's a kinda generic mix of The Game and Saw, but it's a fun formula. Maybe catch it streaming or in a cheap theater. Nobody is going to rave about it, but you won't be bored.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22642 on: January 05, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
Now you should watch beloved Canadian 80’s dark fantasy movie, The Peanut Butter Solution, with hit singles by Celine Dion.
©@©™

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #22643 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
First Man
Great movie, I liked it a lot. The cinematography(TM) was on point. It seems to be very accessible as far as space flight movies go.
I think they showed just enough preparation for the main event and political background without making the movie too bloated. They kept their focus well.

With that said the writers took some liberties with the source material to add in some more 'drama'.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Especially regarding Neil's daughter Karen who died because of a brain tumor at a young age
It ties the story together neatly but feels a bit forced at times.
dutch

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22644 on: January 05, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
Watching Five Easy Pieces. This portrait of a bitter yet gifted person is fantastic.

Goddamn
God
Damn

Why should he ask for it? The weight in that question is insane.

Edit

The ending of this film. Wow.

The two women hes interested in are obviously representations of his base humanity and his higher level skills. How he interacts with them says it all. Yet he's a coward.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:39:07 PM by BlueTsunami »

TVC 15

« Reply #22645 on: January 05, 2019, 11:36:37 PM »
Roma broke me :( So great. It took a while to get going, but the last hour is amazing cinema.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #22646 on: January 06, 2019, 01:21:16 AM »
Aquaman was the most fun I've had watching any DC comics film so far. It's not greaaaat, and at times it's good because it's so bad it's good, but it's pretty good overall and time flew by. Loved the chunk of it that's essentially an Uncharted movie, loved the giant 2.5 hour multi-kingdom world-traveling scope of it all, loved the 80s meets 60s sci-fi ridiculousness of dolphin laser armies (the kiss scene was amazing), loved Black Manta's big fight scene, loved the HP Lovecraft fish people horror bit and the Gears of War stuff, loved the colorful art direction.

The only real negatives I have is that it's a pretty inconsistent movie. At times it's channeling 80s flicks (Dolph Lundgrin), at times it feels like a 90s cheezy film like The Mummy, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be besides big dumb action film throwback. The music is a good evidence of it. Sometimes you get random Synth music, which would be fine if the entire film was an 80s throwback with full synth soundtrack, but it's not and the rest of the soundtrack is totally modern and then just random synth bits outta nowhere and they don't fit.

Basically is kinda a messy movie with a big scope that pulls enough off that it's fun throughout and ends up working. Looking forward to the sequel, but I hope Wan doesn't do it just because I'd like to see him keep moving around trying different stuff than get bogged down just making Aquaman sequels.

I also approve of this new direction of DC films where it's not dark and emo and is fun and dumb and more comic book-ish. Hopefully this is just the start and Shazam ends up good too.

kingv

« Reply #22647 on: January 06, 2019, 02:01:16 AM »
I really disagree about Aquaman.

I thought the beginning was fully terrible and the origin was just really unnecessary and didn’t translate well to screen.

I did like how it tried to sort of stick to comic books and didn’t copy the MCU way of toning down all of the comic book elements to make them more “real world”, but I also feel like they messed up the tone of the movie by making Aquaman kind of a dipshit. Imo, they course corrected too hard after BVS and were like “we need to have lots of quips” but then Aquaman kind of ruins the more serious moments. Like when he is crowned king, he says something like “this is going to be awesome!” Or something like that.

It just seemed like really out of character and made him see kind of douchey.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #22648 on: January 06, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Jingle All the Way: 3 / 5
Upgrade: 4 / 5
Bird Box: 2 / 5
Halloween (2018): 4 / 5

Tasty Meat

« Reply #22649 on: January 06, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: 3 / 5
Bohemian Rhapsody: 3 / 5
Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us: 4 / 5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22650 on: January 06, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
Watching Jeremiah Johnson and I absolutely love it. I also had no idea its the source of the epic Robert Redford GIF lmao

Transhuman

« Reply #22651 on: January 06, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
I accidentally deleted what I wrote when I was copying the stars. I can't remember what it said. Can you revert that shit with your mod powers?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:44:58 PM by Transhuman »

Stro

« Reply #22652 on: January 07, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »
The Prince (2014)

I have an interest in seeing how little effort Bruce Willis can put into a movie, and this also has John Cusack so I was like sure I'll watch this movie that probably was filmed in no more than 3 weeks.

When his daughter is kidnapped, a retired assassin is drawn back into the life he gave up. To rescue her, he must confront his former rival.

In reality, the star is Jason Patric of Speed 2 fame, Cusack is in 2 scenes, and Bruce is in I guess 5 but 3 are really short and wouldn't probably qualify to be "scenes". However, I will say it's the most effort I've seen Bruce put into a role in anything I've seen him in in like....over a decade now. Compared to his turn in Marauders, this is basically Die Hard tier performance from him. Which is to say that Marauders has the most phoned in performance I think I've EVER seen in a motion picture. To the point of being so phoned in it's admirable. Anyway, this is actually pretty solid in the "normal seeming dad who is actually a super assassin dude trying to save his daughter/wife/family" genre that blew up after Taken. Or I suppose reemerged. It's a decent one of those movies you'd find by the the thousands on your given streaming platform of choice and you pick one out based on the cover and if you recognize any of the names on it. It's very bland, very generic, almost soothingly so.

It's free on Vudu with ads. I'm going to assume it's probably on Pluto and Crackle or some shit too.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22653 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »
It kind of amazing to me that Bruce is having a bit of a comeback as of late when considering about the only things he's made for the last five years are a bunch of largely shitty films wherein he has low-effort extended cameos in. Shouldn't that have damaged his brand enough to keep him out of Death Wish?

Extraction is my pick for the 'best' of those. Bruce clearly doesn't care to be there, but there's at least broadly competent action scenes and a smattering of good fights in it.

From my backlog I do have to file a report on the quite Death Wish-y Peppermint, which was easily the best R-rated action movie to get a wide theatrical release last year, but the competition wasn't exactly super high (Widows is more of a thriller, Mandy closest to a horror film). Still though, Peppermint holds it's own rather well. It's like an 80's Cannon films script that got somehow got made in 2018, and with that comes a cavalier attitude towards violence as entertainment alongside a healthy dose of ethnic stereotyping. But it's all so cartoonish that I never found it too objectionable (it doesn't hurt that its lead viillian is a spot-on Freddie Mercury look alike). Jennifer Garner clearly brought her A-game to this B-material,and it helps a lot, and as a headshot-delivery device it's more than proficient. So if you've ever wondered 'What if The Punisher was a soccer Mom.' This film will provide a more than satisfactory answer.

riotous

• my wife fucks me
« Reply #22654 on: January 08, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
Shouldn't that have damaged his brand enough to keep him out of Death Wish?

A low-ish budget Eli Roth movie?  That's not a very high bar. 

I had to google that movie because I'd never heard of it.  Sounds like exactly what Bruce should be doing lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:05:09 PM by riotous »

shosta

• just a thought
« Reply #22655 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
Darjeeling Limited is the best Wes movie.

Stro

« Reply #22656 on: January 08, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
The Last Emperor (1987)

Thanks to some weak willed fuccboi posting the wiki about Puyi and the mention of the movie in this very thread recently, I decided to watch it. I know it was just the way movies were made at the time, but it really should have been in Chinese (and Japanese) with subtitles. It's very distracting to have a room full of Chinese people, in the real Forbidden City, in a story about the last emperor of China, and everyone is speaking English with an accent. I was also very distracted at Peter O'Toole going from maybe the most beautiful man in the history of cinema in Lawrence of Arabia to Willem DaFoe in less than 30 years. Also distracting to me was thinking about these dudes involved in this huge scale historical epic biopic were also doing John Carpenter, James Bond, and video game movies.

It's a pretty wild story and really seems like the movie tries to whitewash his personality and actions to a degree, how much of that is intentional and how much is just condensing such a long period into 3 hours is ambiguous to me. The movie portrays Puyi mostly as a fairly hapless dude just going along with whatever or being a petulant man-child, when reality seems to be he was a sadistic, possibly gay, possibly a pedophile piece of shit and knew he was a puppet and atrocities were being done in his name. That probably would have been a more interesting, if salacious, movie. Which is not to say it isn't an interesting movie, just having read up on Puyi, I'd like to see a more accurate portrayal.

TVC 15

« Reply #22657 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
Peter O'Toole is most beautiful in Caligula.
serge

naff

• god is dead. satan lives. the year is 1.
« Reply #22658 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
can't actually think of a better cast for Paul Atreides than Timothee Chalamet. Now, Dave Bautista needa be Feyd Rautha and we get to see them fight :lol :drool
(_,_)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22659 on: January 08, 2019, 11:38:37 PM »
Bautista's a better fit for Gurney Halleck, though.

Edit: Apparently he's playing Beast Rabban.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:47:51 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

filler

« Reply #22660 on: January 09, 2019, 06:32:37 AM »
bird bocks should have been made part of the cloverfield cinematic universe

Stro

« Reply #22661 on: January 09, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Tampopo (1985)

I'm sure some if you real weeb cinephiles know all about this movie. I didn't, and the best I can describe it as a series of Yakuza sub-stories x Twin Peaks x Wes Anderson with the pacing and story beats of a Western. Sometimes quirky, usually charming, sometimes pretty weird, often random. It has a bit of everything: 4th wall breaking, comedy, fight scene, weird sex scene (arm pit licking and centipedes in soy sauce?, passing an egg yolk back and forth?) montages, musical scenes, drama.

naff

• god is dead. satan lives. the year is 1.
« Reply #22662 on: January 09, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »
Someone give me a good movie or two to watch when I get home.

UTU: Redux

(_,_)

riotous

• my wife fucks me
« Reply #22663 on: January 09, 2019, 09:19:08 PM »
Tampopo (1985)

I'm sure some if you real weeb cinephiles know all about this movie. I didn't, and the best I can describe it as a series of Yakuza sub-stories x Twin Peaks x Wes Anderson with the pacing and story beats of a Western. Sometimes quirky, usually charming, sometimes pretty weird, often random. It has a bit of everything: 4th wall breaking, comedy, fight scene, weird sex scene (arm pit licking and centipedes in soy sauce?, passing an egg yolk back and forth?) montages, musical scenes, drama.

I watched this when I was 7 years old because my Dad rented it.

It wasn't as good as the other one he rented that night;  a really old Japanese film that takes place in the past where some old gross homeless dude fucks a prostitute with his weird dick.

edit: Remembered it!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Realm_of_the_Senses

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22664 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »
Watched last year's Shane Black rent-check-clearing THE PREDATOR.

Jesus H Christ on a Popsicle stick, this was utterly horrible. Worse than horrible, because it starts out with some promise and then they start making it dumber by the minute. Every time it seems like it can't get more dumb, a new element is introduced or a previous plot point disregarded. Then the epilogue scene comes in and I realized there was only the blessed release of the credits scrolling by. It was over.

How can a movie where Olivia Munn takes off her clothes make me so sad?

Transhuman

« Reply #22665 on: January 11, 2019, 03:42:43 AM »
Roma is just spicy Mary Poppins

Stro

« Reply #22666 on: January 11, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »
House Of The Flying Daggers (2004)

I remember when this came out and got a push in American media of IT'S BASICALLY CROUCHING TIGER 2, but in actuality it's mostly an ASMR movie of two people in the woods and a bunch of people with varying sizes of blades working themselves into a shoot over some bullshit. For every :gladbron moment of cool fighting, there are 10 :beli shots of poorly implemented CGI. It (usually) looks great, but the actual story is pretty whatever, and the fighting could go from awesome to looking like something out of Xena/Hercules in a flash.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22667 on: January 11, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
I remember that getting a US theatrical release not long after Hero came out, and another movie called Curse of the Golden Flower [all 3 Zhang Yimou joints]. The other two were still alright, but Hero was easily the best.
dog

Stro

« Reply #22668 on: January 11, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
The early 2000s Chinese invasion

Then Barry Soetoro had to come along and let the Russians in instead

/nintex

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22669 on: January 11, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
Harvey Weinstein was going to edit Hero for a US release, like he did with so many other HK movies, but people complained enough that he didn't. Later it was revealed that he was a sex pest.
©@©™

Stro

« Reply #22670 on: January 11, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »
:ohhh

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22671 on: January 11, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was Quentin Tarantino who let him slap his name on the marketing (QT 'Presents') in exchange for not cutting it.

But yeah, there was scads of high dollar Wuxias being made in Crouching Tiger's successful wake. The Promise being the gaudiest/most hilarious of them.

Damn, that film invented new ways to suck.

The Dirty Dozen (pretty good) and The Wild Bunch (flipping classic) are on American Netflix presently. Both are well worth your time, The Wild Bunch particular. Something I like about both films is just how unapologetically shitty everyone is in em'. At the time (late 60's) perhaps this were more clear-cut heroic types, but for now it plays to me as bad men killing mostly worse men. Kind of surprising neither of these pretty good Men on a Mission formulas have been remade yet, but the terse, coarse artistry of The Wild Bunch is gonna be really hard to outdo.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22672 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was Quentin Tarantino who let him slap his name on the marketing (QT 'Presents') in exchange for not cutting it.

The Chinese government was pushing hard for it, too. Disney ended up giving Miramax some marketing money in exchange for releasing it uncut.
dog

Stro

« Reply #22673 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
Wow, known anti-semite Walt Disney paid off known rapist Harvey Weinstein to appease the Chinese government?

Oof, I don't know that I can even keep my copy of The Lion King 1 1/2. Yikes.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22674 on: January 11, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »

The Chinese government was pushing hard for it, too. Disney ended up giving Miramax some marketing money in exchange for releasing it uncut.
oh shit, ya don't say? Wow.

To further illustrate how great a businessman ole' Harvey was, he purposely limited the release of Snowpiercer because he couldn't get its director to agree to a 20 minute reduced cut of it. This burned bridges with not only Bong Joon Ho, but also South Korea's largest film studio, which was looking to internationally expand. I dunno, maybe Snowpiercer would have never worked as a mass-market release, but tanking your own project all for the sake of pride seems pretty damn shitty.

Stro

« Reply #22675 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »
Harvey Weinstein made poor choices in his life? Wow if true :doge

Stro

« Reply #22676 on: January 12, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Can confirm, this was indeed a movie. An entirely watchable, yet completely unremarkable and unmemorable movie that seemed like a batch of scripts left over from a Clone Wars arc that got turned into a movie a decade later. My biggest complaint is that it is too fucking long, but that's a main complaint about most movies these days. The guy playing Han didn't look, sound, move, or have any of the swag of Harrison Ford. Dong Lover didn't look, sound, move, or have any of the swag of Billy Dee. Dragon Lady was terrible, but she's bad in literally everything she's ever been in so that's not a shocker. Paul Bettany should be a Bond villain.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22677 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
Woody Harrelson was a better Han Solo than the kid that actually played Han Solo.
dog

filler

« Reply #22678 on: January 12, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
dong lover :doge

Stro

« Reply #22679 on: January 12, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »
Don Glover, spell check my bad