Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182204 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22740 on: July 11, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Maybe I'll rewatch the original Dawn. I remember being kind of bored while watching it, but I've gained more appreciation for slow-burn movies over the last few years.

Maybe try the European (Dario Argento) edit called "Zombie". Argento edited the movie a tad shorter and added a ridiculous / awesome synth rock soundtrack by the Goblins.

Day is a pretty good film and the visuals are really terrific in that (the intro, the nightmare...), but Romero is starting to be heavy handed as shit in that (Dawn... is not that subtle either but I find it deep enough) with a mad scientist and soldiers being brute and redneck beyond belief. I never cared too much for Bub the sentient zombie however, the whole "they are becoming a species" is total bogus.
ὕβρις

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22741 on: July 11, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
I definitely prefer the Euro edit of Dawn. Has much better pacing and the Goblin soundtrack is way better than the awful stock music in the American edit.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22742 on: July 11, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
Dead Set is probably my favourite zombie thing from the last 10ish years.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #22743 on: July 11, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
I've always loved zombie stuff way before it became cool in the latest trend. Zombie movies were always better to me than typical horror fare and a large part of that is due to Romero. It was multi-ethnic and social dealing with actual issues before it was popular to deal with that stuff in genre films. So I get the criticism of Romero stuff being heavy-handed to some but I contrast that with most of the nerd genre simply ignoring any message or larger issue at all except for rare cases.

Nearly all of it has some appeal to me although I'm not overly a fan of the Walking Dead stuff like most people. Speaking towards the TV show rather than the comic which I've never read so can't speak to.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22744 on: July 11, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
Oh wait Shaun of The Dead is probably my favourite zombie thing from the last 10 years actually.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22745 on: July 11, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »
Night was my favorite for a long time especially as a kid. As I got older the themes of Dawn grew to appeal to me more and its the better film to me but night is the one that I can most easily come back to any time for a rewatch. It's the most simple and routine of the trilogy but its really solid.

I even like the 1990 remake. It's not bad for a really budget flick.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22746 on: July 12, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »
For me a horror movie has to work first as a horror movie and then as a social commentary or whatever. If the first aspect isn't there, I don't really care about the second, since I can always watch a movie that's actually about whichever social issue instead of a zombie allegory.

That's why I like Night the best out of the original trilogy by a wide margin. It was actually really goddamn tense throughout its entire running.

I think a little too much is done on the "social commentary" of Dawn... or Day... (The whole mall thing was smart though) and it tends to overshadow that the films are first and foremost horror movies. Not as scary  as Night... maybe, but certainly impressive gore fests at the very least. It only really went off track with Diary of the Dead which is both preachy and stupid on top of being a dull horror flick. Land... is corny but still has some spectacle and humor.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22747 on: July 12, 2015, 03:09:06 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22748 on: July 12, 2015, 03:12:35 AM »
looks a lot better, especially with luthor

wonder who wonder woman is fightin

i like the concept of superman causing a religion even if it's a bit on the nose and snyder probably can't pull it off...maybe terrico did tho

bruce backstory thing is kinda dumb vs the standard batman gotta be prepared for everything, including gods; i would have liked batman/bruce a bit more of an unknown "force"/urban legend whose story isn't told cuz we all know it especially after so much from Nolan than what it looks like he gets but i guess you can't do that with Affleck in the role
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:16:46 AM by benjipwns »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22749 on: July 12, 2015, 03:29:20 AM »
Looks to be all other the place, really. Like a patchwork of a stand alone Superman movie and Dark Knight Returns adaptation... Probably because DC wants to rush it.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #22750 on: July 12, 2015, 03:33:29 AM »
Well, trailer. So a little setup and then RANDOM ACCCTTIONNNNNNNNN.

Furious 7's trailer did the same thing and it set new standards for film making built on story.

I have a feeling the Batman v Superman court case won't be until the middle of the film or later. And from everything they showed it looks to be mainly just one fight between the two before they team up and bring in Diana. Man of Steel similarly wasted an hour or so before Faora was brought in to kick everyones butt.

benjipwns

« Reply #22751 on: July 12, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »
She seems to be present at the hearings or something political in the one shot, along with attending something Bruce Wayne would and then is also in some kind of massive fight. So they seem to be getting the diplomat/warrior thing down. I hope they use her in that diplomat/liaison role for the heroes/Justice League since they're setting up the whole "trust issues with gods" angle.

Also, that was one of my favorite runs in her book.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22752 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22753 on: July 12, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
Batman vs superman looks awesome. Snyder movies are generally entertaining. MoS was what I wanted from a superhero movie. Most Marvel movies bore me to tears. I just want to see some crazy action.

Tasty

« Reply #22754 on: July 12, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
BvS looks like tepid crap, as expected. Braindead action schlock masquerading as something deep with hamfisted moralizing and a fucking awful script ("The red capes are coming!")

Batfleck continues to look better and better though. I was always a believer. :rejoice

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22755 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
You basically described most blockbusters with the masquerade bit. I just learned to wade through it so I can see shit asplode

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22756 on: July 12, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
The only thing braindead here is a shallow critique like that. Expected from typical internet goers looking to seem above things.

Even if Batman Vs Superman turns out to be crap, the trailer at least showed there's on actual plot with some focus and thought behind it. Trailers for things like Transfromers don't do that. Even if the gritty angle dosen't work for you and you feel that it dosen't fit Superman it's still an interesting story angle for them to tackle. The fact that the world is totally changed by the arrival of Superman. That's a good story direction to go because the arrival of someone like Superman would change everything and since DC insists that it's Superhero movies have to have a realistic tone well this is the best thing to do.

But now this frames MoS pretty well. Even if it is a lame excuse that they are retroactively saying there was a point to it. The over the top destruction now has a point to it and actually effects Superman. It now makes him think about his place in this world and adds to his character.

Having the arrival of Superman starts this larger then life Superhero world seems like a decent idea. Even though DC is'nt going about it in the most perfect way I still think they're doing an interesting idea.

This wasn't braindead at all. Just wasn't explosions and witty one liners. It showed good glimpses of character plots and story. There's potetntally good ideas here. Superman questioning his role and use of power is a good story idea for him since he is usually boring as an actual character in these movies. Batman being a too focused vigiliante is typical, but it could be well done.

There was nothing wrong about the red capes are coming. It's an obvious reference, but clearly about The "revolution" of metahumans which is good for a character like Lex to say since it hints at his character too. He's afraid of that.

This movie could be really shitty, but the trailer sure did'nt give off the impression that it's just explosions with no thought behind story, setting, and character. Which could all be bad.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:33:33 PM by Rahxephon91 »

cool breeze

« Reply #22757 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
batman wearing a trenchcoat and cargo pants over his batsuit and goggles over his mask fighting evil superman troops in what looks like post apocalyptic wayne manor is weird and dumb in the best way that comics can be.

Batman v Superman looks amazing. Can't wait.

Would like to see more Wonder Woman though.

I like the bit where she's thrown at a wall and just looks slightly annoyed by it.  like she's about to drop kick someone into an olive garden in the next shot.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22758 on: July 12, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »
Evil neo nazi Killzone looking Superman religious fanatics.

I gotta see this movie just to understand that one.

Tasty

« Reply #22759 on: July 12, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
"Or don't be anything. You don't owe this planet a thing, you never did."

Glad to see the Snyderverse Kents continue to be the fucking worst possible parents to Superman ever. :lol

#NotMyMaKent

cool breeze

« Reply #22760 on: July 12, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
all she's saying is "stop concerning yourself with what others say.  ignore it and keep on doing good, or let it get to you and quit.  either way stop whining about it.  you're 35 and cry to your mommy when people are mean to you.  grow up."

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22761 on: July 12, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
While I don't agree with the way Pa Kent was presented in MoS. Her speech to him is'nt really bad. It's clear that she means don't be concern with all his naysayers, keep doing your thing, but you're still an actual person not Christ.

Look, these movies aren't going for the Boy Scout Superman because they don't think that will work with mainstream audiences. You don't have to agree with that, But I mean I don't get the point of going into these movies with a closed mind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:19:07 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nudemacusers

« Reply #22762 on: July 13, 2015, 02:46:51 AM »
i really dig what i've seen of lex thus far. he comes off as incredibly arrogant, narcissistic, aloof and manipulative*. a good contrast against both clark kent/superman and wayne/batman. curious to see how it plays out on screen.

*I wonder if his direction was 'be like you were in social network times 100'
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22763 on: July 13, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
my big problem with the Kents specifically come down to Diane Lane being elderly ole' Ma Kent. She's actually younger then Marisa Tomei, who is going to be the re-re-booted Spiderman's Aunt May.

Also getting that wafer thin charisma void from the Fast and Furious movies to play Wonder Women (Gina Carano was right there) ain't delighting me either, but I'll wait til release to be more/less nerdishly peeved about it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22764 on: July 13, 2015, 03:27:19 AM »
Movie is gonna be dope. I'm excited.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22765 on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »
my big problem with the Kents specifically come down to Diane Lane being elderly ole' Ma Kent. She's actually younger then Marisa Tomei, who is going to be the re-re-booted Spiderman's Aunt May.

Also getting that wafer thin charisma void from the Fast and Furious movies to play Wonder Women (Gina Carano was right there) ain't delighting me either, but I'll wait til release to be more/less nerdishly peeved about it.

Oh, man. That would've been so good. Carano can even do stoic pretty easily.

Tasty

« Reply #22766 on: July 13, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
https://vid.me/2GqO

Potato quality but still leagues better than the BvS tripe :aah

benjipwns

« Reply #22767 on: July 13, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Why didn't they list Superman Returns among the films he's directed?!?

Tasty

« Reply #22768 on: July 13, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
TBH I'd go with X2 over the first as well, Ah well.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22769 on: July 13, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
Man Apocalypse looked like shit. I can't wait till Bryan Singer is done raping the X-men.

Tasty

« Reply #22770 on: July 13, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
As a DC fan, I hope he goes back to Superman. :aah Bring back the Donnerverse, Singer.

cool breeze

« Reply #22771 on: July 13, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
"Warner Bros. Pictures and our anti-piracy team have worked tirelessly over the last 48 hours to contain the Suicide Squad footage that was pirated from Hall H on Saturday. We have been unable to achieve that goal. Today we will release the same footage that has been illegally circulating on the web, in the form it was created and high quality with which it was intended to be enjoyed. We regret this decision as it was our intention to keep the footage as a unique experience for the Comic Con crowd, but we cannot continue to allow the film to be represented by the poor quality of the pirated footage stolen from our presentation."
- Sue Kroll, President Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures

:umad :udamaged

benjipwns

« Reply #22772 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
They love that they've now got a built-in excuse to release the stuff for a second wave of hype. :lol

studyguy

« Reply #22773 on: July 13, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
What are we some kind of [INSERT FILM TITLE HERE]?
pause

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22774 on: July 13, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
Watched the new Jurassic Park movie. meh.

Perfectly average movie I suppose but mostly as I watched I felt zero tension and worse that I was watching cg dinosaurs fight so who gives an f. Especially at the finale of the movie.

It's basically just a big disaster movie but I think the modern planet of the apes movies capture this niche in a better manner.   

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22775 on: July 13, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
Only thing I didn't like about the trailer is that they're trying to push Will Smith like this is 2007 or something.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #22776 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
I think it looks good but it's not clear what they're up against.  like if you're doing a dirty dozen type movie you need really heinous villains to justify it. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22777 on: July 13, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »
I think it looks good but it's not clear what they're up against.  like if you're doing a dirty dozen type movie you need really heinous villains to justify it. 

The teaser is basically just meant to be an introduction to the crew, I think.
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #22778 on: July 13, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
Bet Will Smith wears his mask for less than 3 minutes the whole movie. It's in his contract I bet.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22779 on: July 13, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
Can't be charismatic while wearing a mask. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22780 on: July 13, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
Bet Will Smith wears his mask for less than 3 minutes the whole movie. It's in his contract I bet.

Can't wait until Suicide Squad puts numbers on the board while Deadpool bombs.

:smug

benjipwns

« Reply #22781 on: July 13, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
I wish I had a dollar for every complaint about Harley not having her standard exaggerated Jersey accent in the trailer.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22782 on: July 13, 2015, 07:05:47 PM »
Can't be charismatic while wearing a mask. 

He doesn't appear particularly charismatic even with the mask off.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #22783 on: July 13, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
I wish I had a dollar for every complaint about Harley not having her standard exaggerated Jersey accent in the trailer.

I thought Harley had a p. good exaggerated Jersey accent in the trailer  :dayum
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22784 on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
The only way they would have got me to watch this in theaters was to have Opera play Waller. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22785 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

Maybe he's only in it for 3 minutes, then some stunt double wears the mask and does the rest of the movie.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22786 on: July 13, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
brehs, harley quinn looks A LOT like my flannel girl atm who works at the alt cafe :noah

they even talk the same :lawd

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22787 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »
Have you facebook stalked her to find out her political leanings yet?

nudemacusers

« Reply #22788 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
brehs, harley quinn looks A LOT like my flannel girl atm who works at the alt cafe :noah

wife asap
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #22789 on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »

You should get her a baseball bat that says "Good Night" on it.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22790 on: July 13, 2015, 10:20:12 PM »
Have you facebook stalked her to find out her political leanings yet?

These days I prefer to find out the unpalatable things people believe in the spur of the moment. The disgust I feel is so much more visceral and I am nothing if not a slave to sensation.

e: Though, "Have you heard about Bob Avakian's New Synthesis?" has to be a top 5 ice breaker.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22791 on: July 13, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
Everything in the last two pages looks fucking awful
püp

nudemacusers

« Reply #22792 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
They love that they've now got a built-in excuse to release the stuff for a second wave of hype. :lol
novice soulless movie exec: "hey seasoned soulless movie exec, these internet nerdlings seem to get upset about convention-exclusive trailers, as if their health and well-being relied on the availability of 3 minute fan-service marketing cumspurts, maybe we should do something about that?

seasoned soulless movie exec: "don't worry, we've got it figured out"

*two days pass*

seasoned soulless movie exec to nerdlings: "we've heard you loud and clear, and we've decided to release our fan-service marketing cumspurt to everyone!"

nerdlings to each other: "we did it! they do listen to us! _____ Studios is the best!"

*seasoned soulless movie exec and novice soulless movie exec celebrate by doing eightballs off the feet of a questionably young japanese prostitute (male or female), all the while planning their next soulless venture in blockbuster filmmaking*
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Kara

« Reply #22793 on: July 13, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »

wife asap

that's awfully presumptive on your part

for all you know she could be a strong black woman that don't need no man :dolezal

nudemacusers

« Reply #22794 on: July 14, 2015, 01:08:10 AM »
oh she's black?

:noah
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #22795 on: July 14, 2015, 01:09:27 AM »
Better quality version of the EXCLUSIVE Deadpool trailer that will anger 20th Century Fox and cause fan outcry that probably just happens to lead to a youtube release soon:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=122830

Kara

« Reply #22796 on: July 14, 2015, 01:18:43 AM »
No, she's white, but she could identify as a strong black woman. It's the year 2015 A.D. (After Dolezal), assume nothing.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22797 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:33 AM »
You have a flannel girl too? I need to get one. :lawd
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #22798 on: July 14, 2015, 02:10:44 AM »
It fucking sucks breh. I'm too old for this shit plus I swore that I'd quit on life and this is an inconvenience. :goty

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22799 on: July 14, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Your existence is nothing more than a 25% gratuity to her.