Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170278 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22380 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
 :brazilcry
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22381 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
lol, what is this 2010? Nobody cares about Avatar anymore.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #22382 on: April 28, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44152

Talking exclusively to Empire in between pre-production meetings in Montreal, Singer revealed that Apocalypse's secret weapon might just be its scope and that titular villain, played by Oscar Isaac. “It’s a big monster of a movie,” 
says the director. “The stakes are so high and global and the villain 
is so mythic. It’s definitely an X-Men movie, but it really feels different.”

The villain is Apocalypse, a seemingly immortal mutant that viewers caught a glimpse of in Ancient Egypt at the end of X-Men: Days of Future Past. But there's more than Oscar Isaac's bad guy to lure in the X-faithful; concept art shared with Empire teases the construction of the Blackbird, the X-Men's iconic aircraft, as well as a new look for Angel that resembles the character's comic book "Archangel" redesign. Plus, of course, there is the first appearance of some new mutants that audiences are already familiar with.

"They're as much a part of the movie as our main cast," Singer said about the younger Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm (Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner and Alexandra Shipp), who'll make their debuts in Apocalypse. Each of the three won't be quite the heroes movie audiences will recognize from their appearances in the original X-Men movies.

"Scott is not yet the squeaky-clean leader," Singer explained. "Storm is a troubled character who is going down the wrong path in life. And Jean is complex, interesting and not fully mature. It’s fun to see someone struggling with their powers when you know one day they’ll become the most powerful person in the world."

McAvoy is my man crush, uguu~ :uguu

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22383 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:13 PM »
Will they be able to film the movie (Avatar) in-between Sam Worthington's busy schedule?!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22384 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Holy shit, Jubilee was Asian?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22385 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »
Holy shit, Jubilee was Asian?
Yes and now she's a vampire.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22386 on: April 28, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
Well I'm ok with her being Asian

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Cars of Mad Max Fury Road
« Reply #22387 on: April 29, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #22388 on: April 29, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That said, that universe will have four superb (X2, First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse) and three great (X1, The Wolverine, Wolverine 3) movies if the final two installments are up to snuff. And that's quite an accomplishment, not even the MCU can really boast that. :hitler
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22389 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
well if you are counting unreleased movies as great ...

Tasty

« Reply #22390 on: April 29, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
well if you are counting unreleased movies as great ...

"if the final two installments are up to snuff" :yeshrug

And even then that's still five solid movies.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22391 on: April 29, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
There's only one good X-men movie and even that(The Wolverine) has a shitty 3rd act. Thank god the Singer X-men are done. Maybe now something can be made that actually does the comics justice. But with Fox I doubt it.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22392 on: April 29, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
There's only one good X-men movie and even that(The Wolverine) has a shitty 3rd act. Thank god the Singer X-men are done. Maybe now something can be made that actually does the comics justice. But with Fox I doubt it.

:iface
püp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22393 on: April 29, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
Bryan Singer got lucky twice. Only one of them was an X-Men movie.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22394 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Bryan Singer got lucky twice. Only one of them was an X-Men movie.

the other was avoiding a statuary rape charge.

cool breeze

« Reply #22395 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »
Sony Pictures is working on both a 21 Jump Street meets Men in Black crossover and a female spin-off from Broad City writers.

best shared universe

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22396 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »

:tocry :gladbron
dog

HiResDes

Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22397 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »
Whip is fantastic, it's so focused and their are little things within the cinematography and dialogue that really are quite impressive. I don't know how you praise a movie and give it a 2/5 because you don't agree with the message, which you misinterpreted anyway. LMFAO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22398 on: April 29, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Wow that looks good

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22399 on: April 29, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »
HYYYYPE
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22400 on: April 30, 2015, 12:54:40 AM »
Olga Kurylenko never had a chance, because she’s inherently awful...
I thought this too after she kept showing up as embarrassingly blatant eye candy in stuff like Hitman/Quantum of Solace/Seven Psychopaths but I quite liked her in To the Wonder. That alone puts her above someone like Jessica Alba who hasn't managed a single instance of convincing acting in like 15 years. Even Jennifer Lopez had Out of Sight.

Are you ABSOLUTELY certain that Rachel McAdams didn’t just make Olga look competent? Rachel is, in my opinion, even prettier than Olga and even less competent an actress.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #22401 on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:51 AM »
Iron Man 2 was on TV tonight. It was better than I remembered.
que

Nibel

« Reply #22402 on: April 30, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »
Tom Hardy + Tom Hardy in Legend

SWISH

« Reply #22403 on: April 30, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »
Seeing Avengers tonight. Not expecting much other than some fun eye candy while drinking a beer with friends.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #22404 on: April 30, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
I'm also seeing Ultron tonight at 7 with some friends. The reviews and impressions have tempered my expectations, but it should be a fun time. And even if it isn't we're hitting up a bar afterwards anyways.

studyguy

« Reply #22405 on: April 30, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
I'm seeing it tomorrow at the last showing.
I intend to get faded as fuck before walking in since a bar is right in front of the theater. I've weathered plenty of mediocre films through the help of alcohol. 
pause

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #22406 on: April 30, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Bought a ticket for a 1pm show on Saturday.
nat

« Reply #22407 on: April 30, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
10pm showing tonight. Theater we're going to is 21+ with full bar.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22408 on: April 30, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
Age of Dulltron
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22409 on: April 30, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
I still find the Hulk too distracting when I watch those movies. The CGI never blends well in action shots and it always takes me out of the movie.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #22410 on: April 30, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
yar

cool breeze

« Reply #22411 on: April 30, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
willennium will is back  :omg

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22412 on: April 30, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
The most recent Suicide Squad wasn't even faithful to the source material, why should the movie be any different? :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22413 on: April 30, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
That is not deadshot.  However I totally wish I could dress like that in real life.  I also wish I looked like will smith.

studyguy

« Reply #22414 on: April 30, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »
:neogaf

I didn't know we were doing Wild Wild West II

The belt buckle brings it all together  :lol
pause

Bebpo

« Reply #22415 on: April 30, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
People are being stupid.  This is his flashback outfit before he becomes Deadshot. 

studyguy

« Reply #22416 on: April 30, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
People are being stupid.  This is his flashback outfit before he becomes Deadshot.

It is but all the same, I'm seeing images of a full body suit Deadshot with a hidden face through a mask/helm.
I can't imagine he goes face covered the entire film.
pause

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22417 on: April 30, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »
It's not his costume. Whatever, this helps people continue being cynical about DC's movies while they eat up Marvel's shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22418 on: April 30, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
That's only cause DC sucks.  Go Marvel!

studyguy

« Reply #22419 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »
Both film properties consist of dudes in leotards/capes doing dumb shit.
As far as I'm concerned I'll laugh at all of it.
pause

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22420 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
Ya but not all leotards are built the same

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #22421 on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
Maybe he is going back in time to assassinate Jonah Hex.
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #22422 on: May 01, 2015, 12:03:24 AM »
Avengers: Age of Ultron

Fantastic movie. Meh mid credits scene. A lot of Infinity War teasing. Good but not great action. Ultron is used just enough and Spader plays him brilliantly.

Barraco Barner

« Reply #22423 on: May 01, 2015, 01:59:31 AM »
Avengers 2 was lame

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22424 on: May 01, 2015, 02:01:49 AM »
any movie with an insane robot as the antagonist should be more fun then this was.

also, how weird is it that the last time Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were in a movie together they were married?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22425 on: May 01, 2015, 02:08:56 AM »
I blame Scientology. They're getting their revenge for that HBO doc.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22426 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:12 AM »
lol, what is this 2010? Nobody cares about Avatar anymore.

Didn't you heard it was changing cinema and life itself forever ?
I am somewhat curious to see if people still give a shit about it in 2017.
ὕβρις

Nibel

« Reply #22427 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:58 AM »
People mad about Big Willie looking fresh as fuck?

lmao
SWISH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22428 on: May 01, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »
I think your guys are underestimating the willingness of the American movie-going public to latch onto movie franchises and ride them long-term.
dog

« Reply #22429 on: May 01, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »
Avengers 2 was fine. Fun action movie, nothing more.

The beer was good. I got home at 1am and was up at 6am for work. Ugh.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22430 on: May 01, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
I just remembered I also saw Thor: The Dark World on the plane. It was funny. It did not take itself, or its own plot, seriously enough to deal with logic. The “Brad!” "Janet!” “Rocky!” sequence ending in “Mjolnir!” made me laugh out loud. Hanging Mjolnir in the foyer’s coat-rack was also good. I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston as a drow, really like the beleaguered Norwegian scientist played by Stellan Skarsgärd, and am super tired of Kat Dennings’ manic pixie dream girl intern nerd-bait character. I enjoy Hiddleston as Loki, but am happy he was not the primary focus; even so it was hard to make out his character’s motivation and actions, and in a better movie I would have assumed it was intentional.

« Reply #22431 on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
I just remembered I also saw Thor: The Dark World on the plane. It was funny. It did not take itself, or its own plot, seriously enough to deal with logic. The “Brad!” "Janet!” “Rocky!” sequence ending in “Mjolnir!” made me laugh out loud. Hanging Mjolnir in the foyer’s coat-rack was also good. I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston as a drow, really like the beleaguered Norwegian scientist played by Stellan Skarsgärd, and am super tired of Kat Dennings’ manic pixie dream girl intern nerd-bait character. I enjoy Hiddleston as Loki, but am happy he was not the primary focus; even so it was hard to make out his character’s motivation and actions, and in a better movie I would have assumed it was intentional.

I watched that on the flight to Japan last April. Fell asleep in the middle and woke up with like ten minutes to go.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22432 on: May 01, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »

I watched that on the flight to Japan last April. Fell asleep in the middle and woke up with like ten minutes to go.

:lol

Are you serious? The first Thor movie took me out a couple times; snoozefest totál. This one worked, as long as I didn’t expect too much from it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #22434 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
Avengers 2 is kind of like a video game sequel and I don't know if that works for movies.  it's entertaining but sometimes it drives the good parts of the first into the ground.

and big spoiler
it felt like marvel and fox came to an agreement about the twins.  x-men get quicksilver, avengers get scarlet witch.  I wanted to see quicksilver do more.  his moments with hawkeye were great but it's more because hawkeye was great.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #22435 on: May 02, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
Batman vs. Robin

Much better than I hoped! And also a pretty solid adaptation of the Court of Owls arc. My fear from the trailer and name was that it would use the Court as set dressing for some kind of contrived all-out Bruce versus Damian plot, but that wasn't the case at all. There were changes of course, but the good stuff of that story (them being a Gotham legend/lullaby, Bruce investigating them as a kid and finding nothing, Batman going through the maze while on shrooms, the attack on Wayne Manor and "Get the hell out of my cave" line) are all there.

The changes they did make for the sake of streamling I generally agreed with too, such as how the Court meets its "end," the changing of Talon's character (so he's not some convoluted soap opera-esque "AND I'M YOUR BROTHER DUN DUN DUN" trope), and beefing up the Grandmaster's role.
[close]

The action was fantastic, I would say easily the best yet in any animated DCU movie. The hand-to-hand combat was usually framed from the side so you could actually see what was going on, and the impactful hits felt like they had real impact. Most of the battles weren't static in location either, and moved throughout an area as it progressed. And while he pretty much loses all his fights, I loved Nightwing's beefed up role here. Him and Batman preparing for the assault on the manor was just so well-done.

The film's biggest problems are some really hammy dialog in parts, and some small contrivances to get the plot going. While I initially hated Stuart Allen as Damian in the trailer for Son of Batman, by now I've kind of warmed up to him. I mean, he does factually sound like a kid. And I think his skills as a voice actor have gotten better between movies too, his angry lines actually come off as angry and not like the line director was going "OK now do it more angry! Grr!"

So yeah, pleasantly surprised. They did the Court of Owls better than I expected, the action was great, and the voice acting was improved. This also was one of the few DCU movies where I wasn't going "Wow, even though it's 80 minutes they really stretched the plot here." It really felt like a full movie experience, slow when it needed to be but generally quick on its feet.

Oh! And it has a Batman #666 callback I was NOT expecting. Major nerd kudos from me for that.

PS- Kevin Conroy voices Bruce's dad, and Weird Al voices The Dollmaker (the sick fuck.)

4 / 5
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:59:04 PM by Tasty Meat »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22436 on: May 02, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »

Same here. This movie knocked me right out. Most Marvel movies do that to me

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #22437 on: May 02, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Age of Ultron is basically a massive fright train desperately trying to stay on the tracks the entire time. It's fun but the seams are becoming more and more noticeable.
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22438 on: May 02, 2015, 08:49:04 PM »
rewatched thor 2 (along with avengers and iron man 3).  Much better than my first impression.  The end fight was actually pretty creative and unique. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22439 on: May 02, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
Fast 7.  At what point in the chronology does xXx become cannon?