Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178477 times)

BobFromPikeCreek

Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #22200 on: April 16, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
Preservation is on Netflix and is worth a watch.  It's a little survival horror film that tries to humanize the attackers as well as the attackees.  It's not great by any means, but it has some fairly solid performances and set pieces surrounding it.  There is some D U M B character stuff in it which seemed injected as a means to force drama which reads straight out of a "how 2 scrnplay" book, but if you can ignore the few scenes in which it happens, it's still enjoyable.

Didn't enjoy this one so much. Awkward,  clumsy script I thought. Things escalated at a weird pace and the characters were all laughably stock horror. Sure looked pretty at times though.
zzzzz

Tasty

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #22201 on: April 16, 2015, 10:23:33 PM »

Batfleck is gonna be the only thing I enjoy about this movie, I can already tell.

Fuck Snyder.

Edit- Gone.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:27:35 PM by Tasty Meat »

cool breeze

« Reply #22202 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »
kinda weak teaser but I didn't like the man of steel teasers and people were into those so whatever.

Batman is huge, ridiculous comic book dimensions big.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22203 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
batfleck will be a million times better than baleman. book it.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22204 on: April 16, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
Weak.

but I agree Affleck will be way better than Bale.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22205 on: April 16, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »
hopefully it's overabundant in the trailer vs the final product but someone tell snyder that the matrix revolutions killed the novelty of hammering your audience over the head with jesus motifs. you can do understated brah.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22206 on: April 16, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I still think DC's film plans are going to blow up in their face. Batman is the only cool character they have - at least that can translate on film. Superman is boring, who cares about Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad? Good luck.

Tasty

« Reply #22207 on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
hopefully it's overabundant in the trailer vs the final product but someone tell snyder that the matrix revolutions killed the novelty of hammering your audience over the head with jesus motifs. you can do understated brah.

If he hasn't learned by now, he ain't gonna learn.

Tasty

« Reply #22208 on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
I still think DC's film plans are going to blow up in their face. Batman is the only cool character they have - at least that can translate on film. Superman is boring, who cares about Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad? Good luck.

Same could be said about half the Marvel shit. Thor and Captain America were super-lame nobodies 5 years ago. Iron Man was a joke before his first movie (ask Oscar.) Guardians of the fucking Galaxy? Who are these jobbers? Ant-Man? Lmao.

It comes down to execution, but WB ain't gonna execute well so the end result will be the same. But saying DC has no cool characters other than Batman is not the reason.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22209 on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
would let him baptize me tho :noah
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22210 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #22211 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
you can pretend he's an asian cool young dude if you want :yeshrug
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22212 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55:56 PM »
I love Man of Steel. I love Zack Snyder movies.

cool breeze

« Reply #22213 on: April 16, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »
the jesus moses combo is overdone, yeah, but I like stuff like people worshiping superman and surrendering to him.  because on the other end you have people accepting thor and aliens like it's any other monday.  I like both approaches and I wouldn't want both to aim for the same thing.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #22214 on: April 16, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »

You are a bad person and you should feel bad
yar

dkdk

« Reply #22215 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
snyder shit is heavyhanded as fuck but what's new?

shit is still gonna be  :pimp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22216 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:05 PM »
Snyder's kinda whack as a writer, but his movies look DOPE and have cool actions so whatever.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22217 on: April 16, 2015, 11:43:09 PM »

You are a bad person and you should feel bad

Tasty

« Reply #22218 on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
Snyder's kinda whack as a writer, but his movies look DOPE and have cool actions so whatever.

If by "dope" you mean a piss/grit filter and "cool actions" you mean slow mo every 30 secs then, sure, I guess.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22219 on: April 16, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »
 :badass
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #22220 on: April 17, 2015, 01:54:17 AM »

If by "dope" you mean a piss/grit filter and "cool actions" you mean slow mo every 30 secs then, sure, I guess.
smallville fight > entire mcu fight catalog.

realtalk.tga
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22221 on: April 17, 2015, 02:14:38 AM »
Are you counting Winter Soldier? Cause lol, no.

Also, Smallville fight is an overblown cartoon with no stakes, tension, or realism. For a "gritty" "realistic" Superman reboot, it completely contradicts that tone. Snyder wants to have his cake and eat it but he can't.

Man of Steel sucks a chode and the fights don't redeem it one iota.

Tasty

« Reply #22222 on: April 17, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
I know!

The Avengers KNOWS what it wants to be. Man of Steel doesn't. That's the point. They had Nolan "consult" (AKA give his name for a paycheck) so WB could go the gritty route then they get fuckboy Snyder to piss his style all over it.

Whedon's writing and approach to characterization fit well with comic book adaptions. Gritty-as-fuck does NOT mesh well with anything DC except Batman (and maybe The Question.) DC is trying to be teh matoors for the 14 year olds, while Marvel knows the MCU is campy as fuck and relishes in it.

Fuck Esch, thought you were smart enough to get this. :umad

Tasty

« Reply #22223 on: April 17, 2015, 02:26:51 AM »
AWESOME as fuck:

LAME as fuck:

Know The Difference

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22224 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
I'd rather man of steel action of winter soldier action 9/10 times tbh

Tasty

« Reply #22225 on: April 17, 2015, 02:46:30 AM »
I'd rather man of steel action of winter soldier action 9/10 times tbh

We've already established your bad taste, kthx.

Tasty

« Reply #22226 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:52 AM »
I didn't assume anything, other than you "dissing" me for liking Whedon. :umad

Just calling out milquetoast disses as I see them. :yeshrug

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22227 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »

Batfleck is gonna be the only thing I enjoy about this movie, I can already tell.

Fuck Snyder.

Edit- Gone.
https://vid.me/NlzG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22229 on: April 17, 2015, 07:56:41 AM »
LAME as fuck:
Know The Difference
Nobody cares about Zod and his constant whiny failure.

It's all about Faora and her smirking amusement at Earth weakness.

Also, drone throwing from orbit that doesn't lead to cursing from the head of the secret place on The Blacklist:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

And fake tracking shot escapes with neat music and a hologram of the guy from Master and Commander:
[close]
Move your head to the left.
[close]

That's not to say the film didn't need to edit out the five hour Krypton opening and they should have picked up solely with Superman as a nomadic dude rather than all the dumb growing up flashbacks. And the Daily Planet people were wastes of time.

And I don't say that just because Perry White is black.

Tasty

« Reply #22230 on: April 17, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »
Also, drone throwing from orbit that doesn't lead to cursing from the head of the secret place on The Blacklist:

Lol Jesus Christ this scene was so fucking lame and baffling. If you like this shit, I'm done, there's no convincing you. :badass

nudemacusers

« Reply #22231 on: April 17, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
well hopefully batman v superman will have some contextually inappropriate quips while faceless pedestrians get wiped out and pandering nods to feminism and female empowerment (but only for whites) so andrex can enjoy it :miyamoto :umad
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22232 on: April 17, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
Oh and be extra generic and be full of witty dialogue.

Just like Marvel!

Yes winter soldier was good.

benjipwns

« Reply #22233 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
Lol Jesus Christ this scene was so fucking lame and baffling.
What's baffling? It's just a silly little wrap up scene where they blow something up and show off the new sound barrier effect for Supes. With a quick reminder about THE POINT.

The failed underlying theme of Man of Steel and I can guarantee* the oral arguments in Batman v Superman will center around why should we trust this alien dude with this power without countermeasures. Because the reboot's theme was Goyer's idea, and it's been the primary theme of Superman comics for the last five plus years and that seems to be his primary means of story acquisition to just mash all those plots together. I imagine they hired Terrio to make the script actually work in terms of things like having a sense of time.

The Winter Soldier and Civil War are both going to have THE POINT, and I'm hoping Age of Ultron has a bit more of one since "Loki is totally sweet, and Black Widow is more competent than everyone else" wasn't much for the first film. (Of course I'd watch a movie with Stark and Banner and Loki bantering on a road trip full of wacky adventures like that one with Tony Stark and Zach Galifinakis. Loki and Thor bantering during their team-up was the only good part of The Dark World.)

*From 100% to 1000% after the trailer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:55:33 AM by benjipwns »

nudemacusers

« Reply #22234 on: April 17, 2015, 11:01:42 AM »
if dc is smart they'll just tease Darkseid at the end of each movie or forcibly inject him into unrelated narratives to rouse the fanboys into a frenzy while they figure out what to do with him to make a villain that isn't completely forgettable. :miyamoto
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22235 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
 Forgettable villians? Is that something they've learned from Marvel?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22236 on: April 17, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
You guys are all gay.  Each and everyone of you.

benjipwns

« Reply #22237 on: April 17, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
If I was in charge, I'd put a definitive number on the numbers of movies and reboot of the universe, and shamelessly rip off Final Crisis by having Darkseid destroy the universe but the heroes reboot it at the last second and then you end the movie with like krypton blowing up or the waynes getting shot. Then the feggits in charge of the next reboot can ignore my canon like they plan to anyway. And it justifies changing up all the actors. BUT IT'S ALL SECRETLY PART OF MY ORIGINAL CANON BECAUSE I STARTED THE REBOOT.

:phil :expert :picard
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #22238 on: April 17, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
You guys are all gay.  Each and everyone of you.
I read this as "Esch and everyone of you."

Tasty

« Reply #22239 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
well hopefully batman v superman will have some contextually inappropriate quips while faceless pedestrians get wiped out and pandering nods to feminism and female empowerment (but only for whites) so andrex can enjoy it :miyamoto :umad

I know you're trying to jab Whedon, but Man of Steel had all that in spades and it was way worse, lol.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22240 on: April 17, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
nah zod > every mcu baddie save maybe loki but that's cuz tom hiddleston is :uguu
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22241 on: April 17, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »
Zod fucking sucked. Superman II Zod shits on him. :lol

nudemacusers

« Reply #22242 on: April 17, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »
hmm i'm going to step away for a bit but i'll think of some good whedon trolls and come back.

unlike firefly :bolo
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #22243 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32:49 AM »
Zod's terrible, serious case of overacting his bad lines and yelling. The only scene he handles well is when he's jabbering with holographic Jor-El.

Though the ending part of the film works better if you assume Zod was trying to commit suicide by cop Superman. And that's why he takes ten hours to "kill" that family would could have just ducked under and ran at the rate he was going.

Luckily, Faora can come back from the Phantom Zone to be the villain for the Justice League two-parter movie. Just six hours of her beating up all of the Justice League (every member ever from the comics across all the various Justice Leagues, especially the Detroit version) to scary music until she plays right into Batman's trap that involved clearing out the DC dead weight and he slaps a portable Phantom Zone transporter on her.

Tasty

« Reply #22244 on: April 17, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
hmm i'm going to step away for a bit but i'll think of some good whedon trolls and come back.

And I'll still love you despite your horrible taste in geek god-figures and fashion.

benjipwns

« Reply #22245 on: April 17, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
It's been all downhill career wise for Whedon after he nearly killed Runaways and botched Buffy Season 8+ so hard. I stanned enough during the original Buffy and Angel runs through Firefly but then that happened.

Hiddleson carried him to a billion dollars, and now James Spader is going to carry him to two billion.

Tasty

« Reply #22246 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Cabin in the Woods shows he still got it. :yeshrug

nudemacusers

« Reply #22247 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »

And I'll still love you despite your horrible taste in geek god-figures and fashion.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22248 on: April 17, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22249 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
I haven't see MoS but based on those clips...while they look pretty meh, isn't that how a Superman fight should look? If the fastest, most powerful dude on earth was fighting someone equally as powerful it wouldn't be pretty. It would be pure destruction.

another reason why Superman sucks
:yeshrug

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #22250 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
I see Snyder decided MoS was too colorful and turned it down a bit.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #22251 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
If you wanna have a floaty, cartoony fight that defies physics in a comic book movie, be my guest. But don't put a gray gritfilter over everything and try to make it seem "ONLY 4 GROWNUPS."

It smacks of someone who only really cares about Batman trying to make a Superman movie, which I'm pretty sure is what happened. Should have given it to someone who actually cares, hell give it to fucking Max Landis, he'd make a way better Superman movie.

Also, having a fight that big in what is the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe is textbook blowing the wad. Marvel waited until their sixth movie to destroy half a city (and even then, the destruction wasn't caused by the "heroes." :teehee)

But this is WB's MO. They don't have any patience so we're getting a team-up movie before any of the individual movies needed to actually set it up properly. It's OK to chase Avenger's-level money, but not having the skill or patience to execute it well is going to lead to inferior products. People are saying "wait and see, Marvel's way isn't the only way, you can do a team-up before the solo movies," etc. etc. but I definitely don't think it's going to work out as well. Avengers worked because it was cathartic following the heroes for four years before they finally got together. Batman vs. Superman is just going to have people going, "oh cool, that's Wonder Woman, I guess," etc.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22252 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
this isn't c-tier stuff like thor or iron man, everyone knows who wonderwoman, batman and superman are
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22253 on: April 17, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
this isn't c-tier stuff like thor or iron man, everyone knows who wonderwoman, batman and superman are

Do they though? I'd argue Wonder Woman is way less known than Iron Man and Thor are today.

That's another symptom of WB's ineptitude. They went 8 years without a Batman movie because they kept fucking it up. They went decades without a Superman movie cause they kept fucking it up. They fucked up the Green Lantern movie. They've never made a fucking Wonder Woman or Flash movie in the decades and decades they've owned those characters.

But now because of the MCU they're tripping over themselves to cash in. Like I said, making money is fine, but WB has neither the skills nor patience needed to make good movies right now. The exec producer and producers and higher ups simply have too much control and too short a memory. Say what you want about Marvel being just as greedy, but at least the buck stops with Kevin Feige and he knows the fucking comics. Think the pasty old dudes running WB know who the fuck Gorilla Grodd is? No, they just see dollar signs.

Steve Contra

« Reply #22254 on: April 17, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Nah, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman are still the most well known superheroes.  Superman kind of fucked though because the older generation loves (for good reason) Christopher Reeves and Superman kind of sucks.  Wonderwoman doesn't have a particularly good base to stand on comics wise.  That's really DCs main problem.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #22255 on: April 17, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Nah, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman are still the most well known superheroes.

Oh really? :hitler

Spider-Man got everyone beat, and it ain't close.

Steve Contra

« Reply #22256 on: April 17, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
Two separate points we're making here.
vin

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22257 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
Everybody knows who Batman and Superman are.  Who is talking about merchandise sales?

:comeon

They're not blowing their wad early on anything.  This is leading up to a Justice League movie where they'll all team up to beat some Darkseid ass, I'd wager.

The armored Batman reminds me of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #22258 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
Two separate points we're making here.

There's an obvious connection between toy sales and knowledge in the public eye, especially among the target audience for these characters and movies (kids.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22259 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
this isn't c-tier stuff like  iron man

(Image removed from quote.)

Iron Man 1 still the best superhero movie :obama

He's right, though.  Marvel wouldn't have even bothered with Iron Man if they had the movie rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men.   :P
ど助平