Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4179337 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #23100 on: September 02, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Watched Bryan Singer's Jack the Giant Slayer. Possibly never have so many contributed so greatly to such little result.

I found it passable when I watched it. But nothing more, yeah.
After the ridiculousness of Da Vinci Code, I sort of watched Angels and Demons the book-prequel / film-sequel. Honestly the absurdity of it all (Illuminatis want to destroy Vatican City with an antimatter bomb done in CERN while a new pope is elected or do they ?) is pretty refreshing : The bad guy has an insanely contrived and stupid plan which is probably as bad as the whole Thermal Keycard Metal Gear Manual Override in MGS  :lol . Also the Rome / Vatican setting is much better than what they did with Paris, so at least you have a couple nice churches to look at.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23101 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:32 AM »
Watched Bryan Singer's Jack the Giant Slayer. Possibly never have so many contributed so greatly to such little result.

I found it passable when I watched it. But nothing more, yeah.
After the ridiculousness of Da Vinci Code, I sort of watched Angels and Demons the book-prequel / film-sequel. Honestly the absurdity of it all (Illuminatis want to destroy Vatican City with an antimatter bomb done in CERN while a new pope is elected or do they ?) is pretty refreshing : The bad guy has an insanely contrived and stupid plan which is probably as bad as the whole Thermal Keycard Metal Gear Manual Override in MGS  :lol . Also the Rome / Vatican setting is much better than what they did with Paris, so at least you have a couple nice churches to look at.

I'll rent that when I need a good laugh.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23102 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:50 PM »
Mad Max: FR is selling out on Blu-Ray. Only found it on my third Target/Best Buy. Anyways...

Despite the way purposely kitschy exterior, Turbo Kid isn't exactly the 'ha-ha, look at the 80's tropes' film that it appears to be (Hobo With a Shotgun, Wolfcop, Manborg, being its other Canadian fore bearers). Its actually an honest to goodness somewhat sincere attempt to tell a retro-future inspired post apocalypse story with as many goofy touches and extreme violence as possible, but its not really an explicit comedy. It has a melancholy undercurrent to much of it, and story wise has more in common with a non-anime Fist of the North Star then it does Planet Terror, or any other self consciously goofy throwback. Not that it isn't plenty goofy, it sure is, but there's less tongue in cheek to it then I expected, if that makes it better or worse I'll leave that to you. The soundtrack is sincerely great though, no irony in that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23103 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:45 PM »
I really want to see Turbo Kid, but none of the local theaters are showing it. Hopefully it gets a wider release in the next few weeks.
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #23104 on: September 04, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
Mad Max: FR is selling out on Blu-Ray. Only found it on my third Target/Best Buy. Anyways...

Despite the way purposely kitschy exterior, Turbo Kid isn't exactly the 'ha-ha, look at the 80's tropes' film that it appears to be (Hobo With a Shotgun, Wolfcop, Manborg, being its other Canadian fore bearers). Its actually an honest to goodness somewhat sincere attempt to tell a retro-future inspired post apocalypse story with as many goofy touches and extreme violence as possible, but its not really an explicit comedy. It has a melancholy undercurrent to much of it, and story wise has more in common with a non-anime Fist of the North Star then it does Planet Terror, or any other self consciously goofy throwback. Not that it isn't plenty goofy, it sure is, but there's less tongue in cheek to it then I expected, if that makes it better or worse I'll leave that to you. The soundtrack is sincerely great though, no irony in that.

Really glad it doesn't lean heavily on the 80s kitsch. Everything else about the trailer looked super good. Might go see it on a cheap tuesday.
zzzzz

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23105 on: September 04, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
oh, its super-heavy on kitsch, and it's kinda serious about it. Its a really weird tone. More like a comic book then a SyFy channel movie.

also, They Came Together is on Netflix and is frigging amazing. The best genre spoof to come about in years.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #23106 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:14 PM »
oh, its super-heavy on kitsch, and it's kinda serious about it. Its a really weird tone. More like a comic book then a SyFy channel movie.

also, They Came Together is on Netflix and is frigging amazing. The best genre spoof to come about in years.

The whole "haha, so 80s" thing is just so annoyingly over done, but if this isn't goofy about it I'm cool with it. I've heard too many trusted sources say Turbo Kid is pretty great to just write it off purely based on that.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23107 on: September 04, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
My son's request, we rented the first Sam Raimi Spiderman. It is fantastic. Still fantastic.  Willem Dafoe is so good in it, and Raimi's directorial style is reined in just enough to make it perfect for Spidey. It has a great sense of melancholy.

Tasty

« Reply #23108 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
SM1 is a fun movie because it's totally Raimi through and through.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would say even Oz is watchable and has its moments though.
[close]

SM2 still the GOAT comic movie. And I say that as a Batman first and as a big Nolan fan.

If you follow me on Twitter I slobber its knob every couple weeks out of the blue. It's perfect.

Tasty

« Reply #23109 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
That final SM1 fight tho :whew

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #23110 on: September 05, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »

This movie looks very strange and I want to watch it.
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #23111 on: September 05, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »
Glad Colin Farrell's got a W lined up after TD season 2. He deserves it.
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23112 on: September 05, 2015, 02:04:29 AM »
I didn't realize that was Colin Farrell at first, he's got that bloated, middle-aged loser look down pat.
dog

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #23113 on: September 05, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »
watched godzilla from last year on tv to kill time, it's so fucking bad

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23114 on: September 05, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »

Lastly I saw Silence of the Lambs. I've been wanting to watch this film for ages. It was pretty good I guess. The film does a hell of a job of showcasing just how kawaii Jodie Foster is. :noah But that one scene in the beginning almost ruined it for me

Where that one crazy dude who was jacking it behind bars basically throws jizz at Jodie Foster's character. And it hits her right in the face. :snoop
[close]

That was supposed to be scary, I guess? I pretty much facepalm'd IRL. I also wasn't a fan of the whole 'brilliant psychopath' character of Hannibal Lector. If he's so smart why did he get caught? Think about that for a minute.

You almost got me.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23115 on: September 05, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
I tried to watch The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). It's fucking awful. I was interested in a movie that was sort of fun, unlike modern movies where everything has to be so dark and goddamned serious. With characters that have costumes that sort of look like costumes, erring on the silly side. I prefer that over everyone wearing black or whatever. Anyways. It was okay until I decided 20-30 minutes into it that Errol Flynn was fucking awful. I mean my god. Also I think action films probably have aged poorly more than any genre of this era. I usually enjoy old movies but this was pretty bad.

:iface
©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #23116 on: September 05, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Snowpiercer

What a weird fucking movie

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #23117 on: September 05, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
I just saw American Ultra, jeez Kirsten Stewart is pretty.
brb

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #23118 on: September 05, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
Lastly I saw Silence of the Lambs. I've been wanting to watch this film for ages. It was pretty good I guess. The film does a hell of a job of showcasing just how kawaii Jodie Foster is. :noah But that one scene in the beginning almost ruined it for me

Where that one crazy dude who was jacking it behind bars basically throws jizz at Jodie Foster's character. And it hits her right in the face. :snoop
[close]

That was supposed to be scary, I guess? I pretty much facepalm'd IRL. I also wasn't a fan of the whole 'brilliant psychopath' character of Hannibal Lector. If he's so smart why did he get caught? Think about that for a minute.

Am I being trolled?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23119 on: September 05, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
yes

Tasty

« Reply #23120 on: September 05, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23121 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
You're gay and that emoticon is black so of course neither of you get it.  By straight white male standards, I'd spunk in her easy. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23122 on: September 05, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
Kristen Stewart or FKA twigs, tho?
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23123 on: September 05, 2015, 11:38:35 PM »
I don't even know what a FKA twig is. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23124 on: September 05, 2015, 11:44:58 PM »
It's who Robert Pattinson starting putting his peener in after he got bored of Kristen Stewart.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23125 on: September 06, 2015, 01:07:02 AM »

:lawd

brehs it looks beautiful

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23126 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:13 AM »
This movie looks very strange and I want to watch it.

Dogtooth by the same director was interesting, it was about young adults being sequestered without their knowledge by their parents who created a rather obscure and absurd universe to perpetuate the lie. The strange and cold overtone seems rather similar.

Farrell is OK, not a great actor but I think the contempt held against him is a bit overdone (the drug issues are all his).
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23127 on: September 06, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »
It's who Robert Pattinson starting putting his peener in after he got bored of Kristen Stewart.

:lol I had to look it up.  I assumed twig was some kind of new term for a cool young dude that I was unaware of.   Who the hell has an uncapitalized last name in combination with an acronym for a first name?  That is wrong.  Hope she gets genital warts. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23128 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »

:lol I had to look it up.  I assumed twig was some kind of new term for a cool young dude that I was unaware of.   Who the hell has an uncapitalized last name in combination with an acronym for a first name?
An alien, apparently.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23129 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »
You are wrong

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23130 on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:35 AM »
Just finished Jack Reacher; I thought it was every bit as good as airport bookstore literature adaptations could possibly be. I really liked it, I'll never watch it again, and I'll have forgotten most of it by next week, but it sure was fun.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23131 on: September 07, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
Rewatched Charlie's Angels 2 yesterday and it's still a fun film. Tasteless & stupid, plagued by some horrific grading at points, but fun to watch.
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23132 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Busy hard to follow fight/action sequnces, Monk as Splinter and Megan Fox.  :doge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23133 on: September 07, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
FECK YES!

Danny Boyle to finally, finally make sequel to Trainspotting. Enough of the prestige dramas (no matter how good the Steve Jobs film may be it didn't need Danny Boyle), getting back to work with Ewan McGregor, this strikes me as pretty good news.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23134 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
I'm not sure I would characterize Boyle as pigeon holed in prestige drama (I would put maybe Ron Howard or Zwick there, I dunno) but then again I never followed his work closely. Trance was pretty good (if completely nonsensical when you started thinking about it). I really hated Slumdog Millionaire tho.
ὕβρις

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #23135 on: September 07, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »
watched a documentary on netflix about cane toads in australia. Usually not a fan of reconstruction scenes in documentaries, but there were some really funny ones here (a dog tripping out from his toad licking addiction, another dog's harrowing near-death experience after ODing on the same toxin, etc.). Also has a good gallery of old, cranky white people who desperately wanna kill as many toads as possible. There is even a thanks obama nod. 

:auscry :rash :auscry

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #23136 on: September 07, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
Battle Royale

Made me laugh quite a few times, the japanese suck at aiming though

Also that lighthouse scene  :fbm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:53:04 PM by eleuin »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23137 on: September 08, 2015, 05:34:33 PM »
Kung Fury  :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #23138 on: September 09, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

A "bottle episode" Christmas horror movie? I'm so in.

EDIT- HOLY SHIT this is Michael Dougherty's new movie! (Directed Trick 'r Treat.)

Day 1!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:26:31 PM by Tasty Meat »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23139 on: September 09, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
Ronda Rousey to star in 'Road House' reboot

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ro...ot-1201567956/

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #23140 on: September 09, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
Not like this :picard
vin

Tasty

« Reply #23141 on: September 09, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
Looked into it just now, Smith's is "Anti-Claus" and it's an anthology horror flick apparently.

Doughertey's is definitely the one I'm most likely to see in theaters. Trick 'r Treat was lovely and I rewatch it every year.

Tasty

« Reply #23142 on: September 10, 2015, 02:51:56 AM »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #23143 on: September 11, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
Chinese blockbusters given limited theatrical release in America GO!

Jackie Chan is an old man, he can't possibly have that many action films left in him, so I find it keenly interesting to see what he's producing anymore. His latest, Dragon Blade is a expensively mounted and almost prototypical Chinese period blockbuster that emphasizes unity and brotherhood of many peoples while still finding some white guys to terrorize them. The plot is simultaneously under cooked and convoluted, and the last act nationalism is a bit much, but the creme of the cookie here is still tasteful, thanks to numerous really well done sword duels and some bonkers melodrama. Chan has still got it, and is featured in most of the sometimes quite violent and always entertaining clangs of metal, but the surprise here is how well John Cusack and especially Adrian Brody do in their approximation of Hong Kong action choreography. Quality wise, its really at the lower tier of latter day JC films, but the action is some of the best he's put on in quite some time, so far from a total loss, and hey, seeing Cusack and Brody ham it up is fun.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Wolf Totem isn't the film itself, which is pretty typical middle-brow 'city boy learns the ways of a more naturalistic society' tale, but that the director of Seven Years in Tibet eventually got to make a big-budget Chinese film that's critical (not overwhelmingly, but its there) of the Cultural Revolution. That would have been unthinkable not so long ago, I guess things do change over time. That Jean-Jacques Annaud (The Bear, Two Brothers) sure does love his animals, and nature, and Wolf Totem is at its best as it depicts the Mongolian life on the steppe and their complicated symboitic relationship with the wolves of the plains. It features some stunning photography and is currently being screened in IMAX 3D, so at the very least the pictures sure are purty. The mid-film wolf vs. herders vs. stampeding horses in a nighttime blizzard setpiece is spectacular, culminating in a vision straight out of Guy Maddin's 'My Winnipeg'. I'll probably forget most of the film in time, that part I'll remember well.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23144 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »
Devils Due is so awful. I put it on as background noise while working and even with the understanding that it's a found footage knockoff of Rosemary's Baby it still managed to offend.

Tasty

« Reply #23145 on: September 12, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jeepers-creepers-3-francis-ford-coppola-1201590943/

What a big surprise! (Where'd ya get those eyes!) :preach My biggest guilty horror pleasure.

“Jeepers Creepers 3” reunites the original creative team behind the first two films, including writer-director Victor Salva.

:kobeyuck Dude's a super-pedo. Was hoping he'd just crawl into a hole somewhere. :yuck

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23146 on: September 13, 2015, 12:05:48 AM »
He gave us "Nature of the Beast" though. The gayest movie.

:whew

Tasty

« Reply #23147 on: September 13, 2015, 01:31:17 AM »
Who knew Eric Roberts could act :whew

Even in the 90s he was chewing dat scenery

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23148 on: September 13, 2015, 06:39:45 AM »
Edit: Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:55:12 PM by chronovore »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23149 on: September 13, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23150 on: September 13, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
Watched Tron Legacy; my second viewing. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. It's not a good movie, but I really was angry after the first time I saw it. The easiest win would have been to keep CGI young Flynn in reverse-three-quarter-view, so the messed up bocal animation is eschewed, which leaves the uncanny valley for Clu, a character for whom we should feel unease and trepidation. Another easy win could have been achieved by limiting the End of Line Club scene so that Zeus/Charon is not parading around like a peacock and apparently insanely firing a gun at his own patrons while Clu's enforcers battle. Someone here previously pointed out that Kosinsky's Oblivion is similarly beautiful and empty. I'll agree with that. Oblivion makes even less sense than Legacy, but it sure is pretty. This flopped harder than it deserved, and it's sad because this is a legitmately salvageable property.

I also watch Iron-something-or-other, I thought it was Iron Sky, but its western title is The 25th Reich:

As you can see, it's a pseudo-period movie, with most camera direction emulating the '40's and '50's style of shot composition and even simplified but overly-contrasted colors. There even appear to be attempts at frames-per-second limitation in the CGI, to emulate the feeling of stop-motion effects which were common to the era. It's paced similarly, and is not a bad movie, but I kept expecting something more to do with the Nazi referenced throughout, or the supposed hunt for Hitler's prized pet Pumas, but no. Instead, the biggest shock is an inexplicable male-on-male anal rape scene committed by a giant Nazi cyber spider.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23151 on: September 14, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »

:dead

Tasty

« Reply #23152 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3361538/rumor-akira-trilogy-christopher-nolan-involved/

Umm umm umm umm I don't know how to feel

SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FEEL

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23153 on: September 14, 2015, 08:50:19 PM »
Hmm...as much as I like Nolan's work, Akira has a certain dirtiness and grunge that's not really in Nolan's wheelhouse. It'd still probably be better than what anybody else who's previously been connected with the movie would produce, though.
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #23154 on: September 14, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
Akira doesn't need a live action remake and Christopher Nolan's talents would be better spent doing something else.
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #23155 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
Akira doesn't need a live action remake and Christopher Nolan's talents would be better spent doing something else.

:larry

You're totally right.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23156 on: September 14, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
Spy,  actually enjoyable.  However that trench coat would have never ever fit her.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23157 on: September 15, 2015, 02:24:38 AM »
Kingsmen

Fun silly old school movie

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #23158 on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
[...] a big-budget Chinese film that's critical (not overwhelmingly, but its there) of the Cultural Revolution. That would have been unthinkable not so long ago, I guess things do change over time.

Can I take this to mean the film is the paean to race essentialism and fascism the book deserves?  :doge

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #23159 on: September 15, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
The Monster Squad

I used to love this movie as a kid, it's kinda jarring because movies aimed at kids nowadays don't have kids saying cigarillo this, taco that, and have a middle school kid smoking. But hey every classic movie monster ever!

Masters of The Universe

Dolph Lundgren wanted to get an oscar from this performance lol, it's Eragon before Eragon put Starwars in something fantasy. 

The bald dude from BTTF was in this and didn't call anyone a slacker, dissapointment!
[close]

First Blood (Rambo) is still all kinds of awesome, I noticed that Sega took one of the kill soundbites from this for Golden Axe. 

I watched 2 and 3 too, they are all right I guess...
[close]