Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182493 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #33240 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »
Just watched Hereditary

What the fuck

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33241 on: February 25, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
House Party: 6 out of 5 stars
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33242 on: February 26, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »
Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)

Zach Braff's facial hair is fucking disgusting  :yuck :yuck :yuck

Anyway, I'm legit :leon at how much I enjoyed this as it had so many things working against it on paper for me: James Franco as the lead, family fantasy fare, I don't give a single shit about the Wizard of Oz, by default a movie where 90% of anything you see is CGI and green screen, Danny Elfman bullshit, and so on.

Yet I found myself really enjoying it, especially once the movie moved to Oz and it turned out to be a stealth Army of Darkness remake  :gladbron Mid 90s Bruce Campbell as the lead in this would have been :rejoice . Shit, old and fat Bruce Campbell would have been :rejoice . I would have liked all the things being thrown at James Franco to be real shit that Raimi was throwing from just behind the camera like he would at Bruce instead of CGI, but such is movie making these days. Literally everyone was enjoyable in their roles, even Franco (after a while, he started kind of rocky but that was part of the character as well), the visuals mostly looked great (some wonky full human CGI transitions from time to time, and obviously everything was done in post but that kind of unreal look worked for this kind of movie anyway) and it probably would have been cool to see in 3D.

Just a fun, enjoyable motion picture.

It's also kind of a heist movie, so I liked that, too.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33243 on: February 26, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
:9

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #33244 on: February 26, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »

Reviews of this new HBO Doc are trickling down.
It sounds pretty good.
🤴

TVC15

« Reply #33245 on: February 26, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
House Party 2: 2.5 out of 5 stars.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33246 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »
House Party 3: 1 star. Fuck those kids. The parties suck, too. No cool ass dancing scenes.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33247 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
The world needs more movies like House Party.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33248 on: February 26, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
House Party 3 makes House Party 2 look like House Party 1.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33249 on: February 26, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »
At least it has some Bernie Mac action. Only saving grace I think, aside from TLC.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33250 on: February 26, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
In I miss the dad as a Terminator trope. Just an unstoppable being out to whoop dat ass.

TVC15

« Reply #33251 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
His dad's ranting at the cops and as he's walking angrily to the party is the funniest shit.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33252 on: February 26, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
That Pikachu said “hell”. :lucas
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33253 on: February 26, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/movies/alita-battle-angel-review.html

Alita has robot tiddies, 0/5 stars  :jgames

::) lol. why does she look 15, why does she have a face resembling a human at all? it's pretty easy to justify why an android would more accurately mimic a human form, esp one that engenders sympathy and desire (outside of appealing to a movie going audience) incl. unnecessary appendages. case in point, within minutes she's got an admirer and infiltrated a group of teens.

really enjoyed Alita, but it missed the mark on the plot points they teased and never really elaborated on. the first act had me intrigued, touching on a lot that was glossed over regarding the martian invasion force, that moon battle, why are they locked in this city with giant fountain walls surrounded by paradise. i couldn't buy motor ball being the pillar their society was built around, like a science fiction Whip It where roller derby has become the only hope for relief from your working class servitude. they hooked me enough i'll catch the next one, but they better gimme more panzer kunst moon battles (the action scenes were generally great throughout the movie).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:17:10 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #33254 on: February 26, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot and Wildlife both get a resounding “meh” from me. Eighth Grade is still the 2018 indie king (at least out of the Amazon Prime bunch).

naff

« Reply #33255 on: February 26, 2019, 10:26:35 PM »
Also: Rollerball was set in 2018. Instead of that being a thing, we get an extension of that premise in uguu animated form with James Cann replaced by an android who looks 15 but is actually 300 years old.

:uguu
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33256 on: February 26, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »
::) lol. why does she look 15, why does she have a face resembling a human at all? it's pretty easy to justify why an android would more accurately mimic a human form, esp one that engenders sympathy and desire (outside of appealing to a movie going audience) incl. unnecessary appendages. case in point, within minutes she's got an admirer and infiltrated a group of teens.

She's not even really an android anyway, since she has a human brain. I thought it was pretty clear that the scene was about her growing up; initially she's like a child and her "father" makes most of the decisions for her, but then after she gets the new body she becomes an adult and starts to decide what she wants to do for herself. Apparently that kind of clever metaphor was too hard to decipher for some reviewers.
dog

naff

« Reply #33257 on: February 26, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »
that too! if she has a human brain all the more reason they would recreate something resembling her identity for psychological reasons (hello gender dysphoria). 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
when she get's the new body they even mention it reforms based on the way she imagines herself. anyway, just a terrible review all round really.
[close]
◕‿◕

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33258 on: February 26, 2019, 11:38:25 PM »

5/5, would watch a woman light her bed on fire again.
每天生气

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #33259 on: February 27, 2019, 12:43:51 AM »
Watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

It was really good. Top notch animation. Great music. Actual good action scenes which never happen in live action super hero movies. Cool and fun story. If more comic material was like this, I wouldn't be so utterly sick of the genre.

Bebpo

« Reply #33260 on: February 27, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »
The Dark Tower - Wow, this was terrible. So, so terrible. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

1/5

Even Idris Elba couldn't save it. He was ok but Matthew M was so terrible as Walter/Man in Black, ugh. This movie sucked hard.

Was sad that this movie sucking so bad probably killed the TV series based on Wizard and the Glass but after some googling it looks like it's finally starting filming in a month in April for Amazon? I reaaaaally hope they pull that off. If they go for Westworld/Game of Thrones vibe it'll be good. If they try to go for a teen Twilight/YA vibe it's gonna suck. Wizard and Glass just needs to be a Westworld knockoff.

shosta

« Reply #33261 on: February 27, 2019, 02:33:29 AM »
Oh, were you reading the book in preparation for the movie?
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #33262 on: February 27, 2019, 03:47:17 AM »
No, but didn’t want to watch the movie until I was done in case it had book spoilers.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33263 on: February 27, 2019, 08:59:29 AM »
No, but didn’t want to watch the movie until I was done in case it had book spoilers.

It does, in the sense that it spoils the books.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33264 on: February 27, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
Watched Eastern Promises again last night. Movie night at work, 100+ inch projector. Viggo is the man. That bath house fight scene is:
:delicious

shosta

« Reply #33265 on: February 27, 2019, 10:01:49 PM »
Blue. Got around to seeing Apocalypse Now, Redux, for the first time. With respect to the movie as a whole I can't say it any better than you did. The new scenes really knock this movie down a few pegs. Pacing is all ruined. New scenes themselves were boring. Overall, highly disappointed. The original cut is still a perfect film for me.
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33266 on: February 27, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
Blue. Got around to seeing Apocalypse Now, Redux, for the first time. With respect to the movie as a whole I can't say it any better than you did. The new scenes really knock this movie down a few pegs. Pacing is all ruined. New scenes themselves were boring. Overall, highly disappointed. The original cut is still a perfect film for me.

Yeah I don't see the film needing any expanding on. It feels lean in the best way and packs a punch.

Bebpo

« Reply #33267 on: February 28, 2019, 12:05:29 AM »
Been hearing a lot of good things about How to Train Your Dragon 3 from friends so I watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 (I saw the first one back in the day). It was solid. Story was kinda so-so but the highs hit pretty good. Nice music too, and the whole thing kinda feels like a videogame rpg movie x dog movie. Will check out 3 this weekend.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33268 on: February 28, 2019, 02:49:01 AM »
Thanks to rotten tomatoes/captain marvel/disney/bloggers I cant go and vote 'do not want to see' on this :fbm

Bebpo

« Reply #33269 on: February 28, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
I saw whichever one was out in 2014ish on a date in theaters and wanted to fucking die because that dude's voice hurts my insides

Ya, he's got a very nasal-y voice.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33270 on: February 28, 2019, 03:58:18 PM »
I only watched the original, and while it was fun for the most part I didn't really think it was anything great. Never really understood while critics fell all over themselves for it.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #33271 on: February 28, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »
Yeah, so far that’s how I’d describe 1&2. Like I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch either and they’re forgettable but they’re also not bad and perfectly fine and enjoyable. I’ll report back on 3!

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33272 on: March 01, 2019, 01:47:16 AM »
You know, I haven't actually watched a movie in weeks, very unlike me. I have seen a bunch of the older James Bond movies as of late (11 are presently on American Netflix), the stunts are much better than I previously recalled, and the colonist attitude and casual racism of its time is prevalent as well.

I did see two flicks today, I'd like to write about those.

Peter Jackson uses his gifts as a storyteller and wielder of technology to impressive ends with They Shall Not Grow Old, a WWI documentary of unusual immediacy. There's no narration, just a bunch of vets telling their stories, there's no talking heads, just century old footage gussied up in such a way to remove the distancing effect of the limited reach of its now primitiveness. The impression that this film made most strongly of me was of how everyday life in the trenches was lived, the vividness of the footage combined with the matter-of-factness to the narration really put me in the shoes (actually always damp and cold shitty boots) of these ordinary servicemen. Its a personal film that's not attributed to any one person in particular, but succeeds greatly in pulling an extraordinary story out of the distant past, one that would have been common to know about only many decades ago. Best thing PJ has been associated with in quite some time, way to go there Pete.

65 year old, 5 foot 2 Isabelle Huppert is an unusual choice to play a bogeyman but as it turns out she's more than up to the task in Greta. Its a stalker-psycho-thriller  in a slightly unfashionable mold (its a more maternally focused Fatal Attraction if that helps), but its made with just the right amount of tongue in cheek, with performances pitched just a shade south of the parody that it possibly could have been and sometimes veers towards. Honestly, its a hoot, and a well executed one at that, with a number of carefully constructed suspense setpieces. I looked at this film and easily saw the De Palma version of it, and it wasn't that different from the Neil Jordan one we got (that's a big compliment for me). I had a lot of fun with it, more fun than Oscar winning Green Book (no, I'm not salty or nothing).

Occam

« Reply #33273 on: March 01, 2019, 03:38:15 AM »
Made the mistake of watching Overlord (WW2 action/horror) by J.J. Abrams (written and produced). It's trash.
Aside from lacking any kind of excitement and a convincing villain, the movie conveniently forgets that the USA were super racist at the time. The armed forces were racially segregated until 1947 and not a single African American served in a white unit, and hardly any saw combat as they were relegated to supporting functions, like driving trucks or working in ammo depots behind the front lines. Yet Overlord's protagonist is an African American in a mostly white unit of Airborne Rangers (led by a black (!) sergeant who is killed in the opening minutes). Hilarious. In reality, no African American Airborne Rangers saw combat in WW2.
It's kind of sad when you feel the need to distort history like this to look better than the fricking NAZIS. During the entire movie, none of the Americans (or even the Germans, all of whom are (badly played) SS soldiers) make even a single racist remark towards the black guy. How nice.
The rest of the movie doesn't fare any better. It's not even enjoyable in a so-bad-it's-good grindhouse way. Much of it feels like watching a video game you'd have more fun playing yourself. After the way he ruined Star Trek and Star Wars, Overlord does little to sway my ever more solidifying opinion that Abrams really is a hack.
5 out of 10.

Bebpo

« Reply #33274 on: March 01, 2019, 05:48:39 AM »
Saw How to Train Your Dragon 3. It's basically like the first two movies except the ending is pretty good ending for the franchise. The villain is also better than the one in 2 and the CG is way nicer looking. I also appreciate the Monster Hunter armor sets. There's some great art direction at times too in the series. Like in #2 there's this scene where the main guy meets this masked dragon rider in the sky and it's straight out of a ghibli film like Nausicaa. The movies definitely have their moments and the main dragon is a cute doggo  :doge and can't hate on that.

Anyhow, like the first two movies, it's a good movie but it's just missing something to bring the emotional impact of hey this is great. I feel like it's the director/writer of the 3 films. He's definitely good at both, but maybe not great at both. It feels like if Pixar did this movie it'd be really good because the pieces are there it just doesn't come together as strong as it should. Also the movies...aren't funny. There's very little comedy in them and most of it is from the side characters who are all terrrrible and the movies would be so much better if it was just the main guy/gal and their dragons vs bad guy. All the screentime of the side characters is a waste of time. I think the comedic aspect is something where Disney/Pixar would do it a lot better and it'd help the film. Since there's not much comedy, they're just sorta good movies that are PG-ish.

If you didn't care for the first two, this won't change your mind. If you liked the first two, this is solid with a nice ending.

Also I liked that the second film had a timeskip of 5 years (since the movies came out five years apart) so instead of being a young kid, he's an rpg late teen. Since this one came out another 5 years later I was hoping there'd be a timeskip of another 5 years and the main guy would be in his 20s, but it's only set one year after the second one and anime/rpgs strike again where you can't have anyone over 20 be the main lead /sigh

If bearded main dude in his 30s/40s was the lead it'd be so much better
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33275 on: March 01, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Watching Being John Malcovich again and goddamn I haven't laughed this hard from a movie in so long

TVC15

« Reply #33276 on: March 01, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »
About to see Greta. It’s giving me good thriller vibes.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33277 on: March 01, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
About to see Greta. It’s giving me good thriller vibes.

Had no idea Isabelle Huppert was in this until recently. Gawdamnit. I may catch it if it flies with you

TVC15

« Reply #33278 on: March 01, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
Fair warning, I have a soft spot for thrillers that are even vaguely De Palma-ish.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33279 on: March 02, 2019, 01:19:29 AM »
I didn’t like it so much. The old lady wasn’t crazy enough, really. And the main character is exceptionally dumb. I’d recommend it for free, but if you’re going to pay money to watch, just rent Fatal Attraction.

the dog didn’t even die in a cool way
[close]
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33280 on: March 02, 2019, 10:07:40 AM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33281 on: March 02, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
I bet it didn't even have full-frontal nudity. :zzz
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33282 on: March 02, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
I bet it didn't even have full-frontal nudity. :zzz

Not a titty to be seen.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33283 on: March 02, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
Brian De Palma is rolling over in his grave.
©@©™

samir

« Reply #33284 on: March 02, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
Eighth Grade was pretty good.

The Death of Stalin was too.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33285 on: March 02, 2019, 06:00:26 PM »
Brian De Palma is rolling over in his grave.
of all those unprofitable auteurs who got another shot thanks to streaming (Ken Lonergan, Whit Stillman, Spike Lee (at the time he made Chi-Raq at least), Todd Haynes, Tamara Jenkins, and so on...), I was always a little salty that Brian De Palma never did and still hasn't gotten any of that streaming moolah. C'mon Bezos, if you've got a billion to toss at a Middle Earth series spend one percent of that and give Brian something productive to do. He'll get you better press for a fraction of the money you were willing to spend on Woody Allen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33286 on: March 02, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
Eighth Grade was pretty good.

The Death of Stalin was too.
The Death of Stalin does not nearly get enough praise. Such a wonderful film.

Today I watched Gladiator in 4K and someone in our group hadn't seen it. He was basically in awe of the spectacle from start to finish.
The pacing of the movie is basically perfect and that soundtrack  :heart
🤴

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33287 on: March 02, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
The angry call scene in Punch Drunk Love mirrors how a call went with Uber Eats and a shitty driver. I never yell but I fucking unloaded on this dude who was disrespectful. I'm currently laughing at thr escalation in the scene. Its so fucking real.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33288 on: March 02, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
Rewatched Repo Man (Criterion Collection  :heartbeat ). I think my favorite scene is Miller talking about the plate of shrimp.
©@©™

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #33289 on: March 02, 2019, 11:16:19 PM »
Climax sure was a Gaspar Noe movie. I liked it.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33290 on: March 03, 2019, 06:26:04 AM »
Rewatched Repo Man (Criterion Collection  :heartbeat ). I think my favorite scene is Miller talking about the plate of shrimp.

Not without connection, I was thinking about the lattice of coincidence recently as well…

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33291 on: March 03, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »
I need to stress straight out of the gate that Reuben Brandt, Collector is actually a pretty light film. Its a breezy, fast paced comedy-caper film with a unique animation style. But that undersells it as well, as in style and format its simply incomparable to anything else I've ever seen. Its also perhaps the most reference dense film I've ever seen as well, but that's not really a problem that perhaps few people without PHD's in art and film history will pick up all the jokes on the margins (I sure as hell didn't, and I'm probably a little more qualified on this front than some people). Its visual inventiveness starts at bizarre and remains pleasantly feverish throughout, racking up as many 'for the hell of it' character designs and visual jokes as possible. It must have been a titanic labor to bring vision to screen, watching it seems like the best kind of work though (you'll want to pay close attention to it).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33292 on: March 03, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »

Seems like China is bringing back the long missed cheese factor in sci-fi films that American directors have left behind. I can dig it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33293 on: March 03, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
Definitely feels like an early-00s Hollywood scifi movie, and the outer-space scenes look pretty cool. So I'm down for it.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33294 on: March 04, 2019, 12:22:48 AM »
razySoon9413
2 weeks ago
Best Asian Sci Fi Movie ever... i watched 3 times and i cried everytime....

:chinacry

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33295 on: March 04, 2019, 01:00:10 AM »
Bringing out the Dead

Fuck me I loved this. Its dour but poignant. And I fucking love Scorsese's frenetic style when it portrays mania. It works so well its terrifying and compelling.

Also a subdued Nicolas Cage

I dug ALL OF IT

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33296 on: March 04, 2019, 03:24:42 AM »

Cast: Sebastian Cavazza, Stoya, Marusa Majer, and Kirsty Besterman

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33297 on: March 04, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »

lmao
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33298 on: March 04, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
dog

Rufus