Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182758 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #33480 on: April 03, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »
That actually sounds pretty great, in an '80s way.

Coax

Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #33481 on: April 03, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
:gladbron

I'm in.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33482 on: April 03, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is fiiiinally coming to theaters as a one-night Fathom Events showing next Wednesday.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33483 on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:50 AM »
hard in

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33484 on: April 03, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »
It's on Amazon Prime, I'll have to check it out.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33485 on: April 03, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
Was not expecting the joker to look good. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33486 on: April 03, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
Don't understand what the plot would be, aside from him dancing around and getting punched repeatedly, but looks more interesting than anything else they've done so far.

Logan approach > Marvelverse approach.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33487 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
On a similar note, I watched a lot of Hong Kong movies by Stephen Chow during a stretch of years back in the day. Most of them had really bad translation, as was common in those days for cheapo releases of HK movies, and the awkward writing helped to amplify the absurdity of the movies and make them more funny.

What were your favourites ?
ὕβρις

Nola

« Reply #33488 on: April 03, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
I remember thinking the War Dogs trailer looked really interesting as well and that was mostly trash.

So I'm still kind of skeptical.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #33489 on: April 03, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
He already told you!
Go watch Forbidden City Cop, God of Cookery, Sixty Million Dollar Man, and Fight Back to School.
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33490 on: April 03, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
Don't understand what the plot would be, aside from him dancing around and getting punched repeatedly, but looks more interesting than anything else they've done so far.

Looks like there's some broader Gotham politics stuff going on, too, aside from Joker's personal struggles [riots against police, politician on TV denouncing masked criminals/vigilantes, shots of the city make it look really run down].
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33491 on: April 03, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »

Looks like there's some broader Gotham politics stuff going on, too, aside from Joker's personal struggles [riots against police, politician on TV denouncing masked criminals/vigilantes, shots of the city make it look really run down].
If they're doing the "realistic superheroes" approach, which i'm all for, their Batman would basically be Rorschach, no?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33492 on: April 03, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »
It's probably going to take place pre-Batman based on the credits listing [it has Young Bruce Wayne and Thomas Wayne], so it could be angling for setting up Joker as initially a cynical Rorschach-type vigilante who gradually becomes more violent and unhinged.
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #33493 on: April 03, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »
It’s done by the guy who did a gg Allin doc and Joaquin Phoenix. I expect some wild things and a lot of feinting.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33494 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Joachim has big shoes to fill, but history suggests he’s up to the task. Gotham looks like Nolan’s version of it. I’m super interested now.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #33495 on: April 03, 2019, 11:51:02 PM »
Watched Glass

I liked like 80% of Unbreakable and pretty much hated the last 20% of it.

Glass feels like its mostly aping that last 20% of Unbreakable.

Willis, Jackson, and McAvoy are all good actors with fun characters that are super let down by that script. Clunky Dialogue, Silly ending, bad twists, etc. I want to like the movie because Unbreakable and Split are worthwhile films, but this one just crosses over too much into the bullshit category for me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33496 on: April 04, 2019, 12:55:14 AM »
Looks like the live-action Akira is actually moving closer to production:

https://deadline.com/2019/04/leonardo-dicaprio-akira-california-tax-credits-warner-bros-paramount-1202586735/
dog

shosta

« Reply #33497 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58:57 AM »
Hopefully it's better than the live action Jin-Roh.
每天生气

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33498 on: April 04, 2019, 01:01:06 AM »
Hopefully it's better than the live action Jin-Roh.
Is the Korean one out in English? Was it bad?

shosta

« Reply #33499 on: April 04, 2019, 01:07:38 AM »
I only read reviews, and all the reviews were bad. But maybe I should watch it before I pass judgment like a chump.
每天生气

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33500 on: April 04, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
Oh I was just wondering because I'm not sure what the hold up is. It came out last summer and Netflix quickly grabbed it, but it hasn't been released yet.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33501 on: April 04, 2019, 02:04:13 AM »
I watched the first 30 mins and fell asleep, I'll give it another watch soon.

shosta

« Reply #33502 on: April 04, 2019, 03:41:22 AM »
Ok, I just watched it. They fucked it up bad.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33503 on: April 04, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »
That murder scene at the start was hilariously bad

shosta

« Reply #33504 on: April 04, 2019, 04:06:15 AM »
They added that for no reason at all! :lol They got the mood all wrong, too. The pacing is bad. They ruined the sting operation scene. And they fucked the climax up hard. It's a mess.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33505 on: April 04, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
Ænigma (1988)

By chance, this movie also opens with a student trying to bang but getting pranked by their friends and ending up in a hospital. Instead of a nice wholesome Canadian slasher tho, this movie is a batshit Italian movie from Lucio Fulci. It's also pretty bad, and fairly restrained by Fulci's standards of gore.

It begins with ugly duckling Kathy getting dolled up for a date with her fitness instructor. He drives her to a secluded area to engage in some heavy petting, but as soon as things start getting hot, all her "friends" show up and start honking their horns and laughing at her, causing her to run away into a busy street and get hit by a car. She's declared brain dead at the hospital and placed on a respirator. She begins having an out-of-body experience, as her soul/spirit/whatever hovers over the bed. Some time passes, and new girl Eva enrolls at school. She's recovering from a mental breakdown, but she says she's all better now and ready to screw a lot of guys ("Let me put it this way: anything in pants.") She starts off with Mr. Vernon, the horny fitness instructor from the intro, but he suddenly comes down with an unexpected case of DEAD.

It turns out that Kathy's spirit has inhabited Eva's body, and she's taking revenge on perpetrators of the prank, using BLACK MAGIC. How does Kathy know black magic? Look, she's from Louisiana, okay? I hope that's enough explanation for you because that's all you're gonna get. Her mother is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow and there's a bit of a plot thread that's briefly mentioned once and never again that her and some of the teachers may be involved in some kind of cult activity, and I think they're supposed to be hinting that maybe Kathy's father is the devil, but it's never expounded on beyond a throw-away line. At any rate, Eva/Kathy continues to befriend Kathy's tormentors and then off them with magical means. One girl gets crushed by a statue that comes to life, one girl throws herself out of a window after being shown visions of her boyfriend's decapitated corpse, some girl gets murdered by snails. Yes, murdered by snails.

The movie ends with a second revenge subplot, where Eva/Kathy gets sent home for being too crazy and she gets super obsessed with her neurologist (who she was banging). She breaks out of her house and runs back to the hospital to find him now banging her roommate. She tries to stab both of them, but Kathy's mom shows up and unplugs Kathy's respirator, sending her spirit to the shadow realm once and for all and causing Eva to collapse to the floor while the credits roll and some godawful pop song called Head Over Meels(sic) plays. This movie was absurd, it was terrible, but I did have a few good chuckles at how stupid it was.

©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33506 on: April 04, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
It's pretty hazy speculation but for such a late film, Fulci maybe only had a partial hand in it. Wasn't he sick ? I'm sure that regardless of the reason it happened a few times his credit was a bit inflated.

Not that Fulci in his prime was known for having good written scripts of anything.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33507 on: April 04, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
It's pretty hazy speculation but for such a late film, Fulci maybe only had a partial hand in it. Wasn't he sick ? I'm sure that regardless of the reason it happened a few times his credit was a bit inflated.

Not that Fulci in his prime was known for having good written scripts of anything.

I read up on it a little bit, and it seems like Fulci had already recovered and had full control on this one (it's not one of the "co-prodcued" films, or like Zombie 3 were Bruno Mattei finished it). I can't find any evidence to the contrary at least. He's credited as writer and director, with a co-writer credit for Giorgio Mariuzzo that also worked with him on House by the Cemetery and The Beyond. It's just not one of his better movies.
©@©™

Nuitangg

« Reply #33508 on: April 05, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »
Terror Train and Funhouse fucked me up as kid.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33509 on: April 06, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »

A wonderful ninety minute film. It has a whole lot to say about incarceration and rehabilitation through these two beings. There's a group meeting scene in the film that makes you see the choices made and the proportionality. It feels condensed at times, as if the changes came too fast, but it still remained very moving for me.
:9

Himu

« Reply #33510 on: April 06, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »
Joker looks fantastic. Thank God a super hero film that doesn’t look like more marvel drek
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33511 on: April 06, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »

Love Jarmusch's take on vampires. It is understated which was fun to see since vampires tend to be treated like a blunt object as subjects. Just bombastic. The sense of melancholy and simply living a tired existence feels right for such beings. Then theres the sort of star crossed lovers aspect of the two mains that I also vibed with. I have to check out the rest of his filmography since I loved Paterson too.
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33512 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
Joker looks fantastic. Thank God a super hero film that doesn’t look like more marvel drek

It looked A LOT like Nolan's Gotham to me.

For which I'm absolutely on board.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33513 on: April 06, 2019, 11:43:16 PM »
I love the random-ass stuff that you can find on Amazon Prime. I watched Invasion USA, then The Octagon, before finally ending up with a Filipino take on James Bond called They Call Her Cleopatra Wong.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #33514 on: April 07, 2019, 01:06:17 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Who-Laughs-Blu-ray/dp/B07PK6K31Q

Can we talk about how they're trying to take a 1928 drama film that has nothing to do with Batman and sell it as a JOKER movie. Like wtf, this is one of the most bizarre marketing concepts I've seen.

Trailer looks good, but the comic purist in me is kinda annoyed that they're completely changing his backstory. Like why can't you do an artsy human film like this while still keeping the comic Red Hood backstory.

Coax

« Reply #33515 on: April 07, 2019, 01:21:09 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Who-Laughs-Blu-ray/dp/B07PK6K31Q

Can we talk about how they're trying to take a 1928 drama film that has nothing to do with Batman and sell it as a JOKER movie. Like wtf, this is one of the most bizarre marketing concepts I've seen.

Mind explaining the connection for those who haven't read the book/seen the adaptation? Read the synopsis but outside of apparently inspiring the original Joker appearance with the character's permanent grin I'd be interested to hear how Joker is an adaptation.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33516 on: April 07, 2019, 01:36:51 AM »
Trailer looks good, but the comic purist in me is kinda annoyed that they're completely changing his backstory. Like why can't you do an artsy human film like this while still keeping the comic Red Hood backstory.

Eh, it's not even the first Joker origin story on film.
dog

Himu

« Reply #33517 on: April 07, 2019, 03:56:09 AM »
Umbrellas of Cherboug

A beautiful pastiche of vibrant color and set design adorn this musical. What makes Cherboug unique among its musical contemporaries is that the entirety of the film is acted out in beautifully sung dialogue. Whereas most musicals typically have regular dialogue writing in casual conversation, Umbrellas upends the genre conventions to find its own footing. It feels more akin to an opera than a musical and this one choice makes the entire film all the better. As said, the colors have incredible pop and while some scenes (mostly night) have a lot of film grain due to the dated cameras lacking a suitable ISO metric, it more than makes up for it. Each scene has a contrast of colors and the way it uses its color as a way of presenting its story is nothing short of brilliant. In every scene with Genevieve for instance, highly saturated floral patterns, backgrounds, and colorful costumes fill the screen. Guy, who is of more modest means, has far more muted, boring colors. It makes quite a visual contrast. The visuals even cleverly depict mood. When Genieveve feels sad, her normally pink clothing is replaced with nothing but blue. In a time of mourning and loneliness, she feels like the loneliest person in the world, which makes it all the more believable when she's wearing blue while surrounded by a fleet of pink.

The story is told visually in a very organic manner, which, while at first glance seems a typical love story quickly pushes the viewer head first into a deeply trenched river full of twists and turns. Very beautiful, grounded human drama. Clearly an inspiration for La La Land.

Highly recommended and currently streaming on Criterion Channel.

Rashomon

Ah, my favorite Kurosawa. Easily. I've not revisited this in...years. Always refreshing, always thought provoking, still inspiring. What else is there to say, really?

IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #33518 on: April 07, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
Umbrellas of Cherboug

... so it’s ripping off Trapped in The Closet?!

Himu

« Reply #33519 on: April 07, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Umbrellas go in the closet so yes. :(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33520 on: April 07, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
da gawd

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33521 on: April 07, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »
Watched "The Destroyer" starring Nicole Kidman.

It was a crazy ride of a movie. Some of it very good, some bits less good. But damn it was dark as hell and very compelling overall. Even the action shots were well made which is not often the case with movies like this that focus more on the 'drama'.
However it could've used something a 'tiny' more upbeat or positive.

ENDING SPOILERS
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loved the no nonsense ending though. They make you think that you get this monologue from the bad guy and his motivations (as you got from all other characters). In fact he's ready to do the whole: "Now let me tell you what the PLOT really is!" and she just pulls out her gun and shoots him in the dick  :doge
[close]

🤴

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33522 on: April 07, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
Pet Sematary. More like Theoriginalwasbetter Sematary.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33523 on: April 07, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
So it’s no It?
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #33524 on: April 07, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
So it’s no It?

No.  It’s not that bad though. The original (which isn’t that great) is just better.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #33525 on: April 07, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Pet Semetary - Pretty serviceable horror flick that is fairly creepy in the 2nd half. I've seen dozens and dozens of horror movies in the theater with my horror social group and this was the first time I ever really jumped from a jump. It was creepy and tense enough that one jump scare bit got me really good and I jumped from my chair. Was kinda embarrassing as a hardened horror film watcher but it happens.

I wish there was more story/lore and I wish the trailers didn't spoil the entire movie (I need to just start skipping all these trailers before horror films because they spoil like every horror film; saw the latest Brightburn trailer and it also showed too much :| ). But what was there was pretty well done in atmosphere.

Oh and one slight issue I have is that the film has a lot of red herring subplots that do nothing. The core story is a really simple short story and they started to add to it but never really go anywhere with the subplots. For example the masked kids in the trailer were basically just put in to sell the trailer lol

and then the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wife's story with the sister was ehhhh, since it was basically just used to set up a fake out for the jump scare with the kid.
[close]

But yeah I would've liked it if they did a little bit more with the lore-aspect.

*edit* Hmmm, read up on how the book/original movie ended. I think the book's ending is definitely better than what we got in this new one. Otherwise from the book summary it sure sounds like this new one pretty accurately follows the book.

I both read the book and saw the original movie back as a kid. I didn't remember anything at all, so it didn't really effect me. Same thing with IT, I didn't remember the book or the TV special. I think 20 years is a pretty good time to go between remakes because it's hard to remember much about some movie/book you watched/read once 20 years ago.

Love Jarmusch's take on vampires. It is understated which was fun to see since vampires tend to be treated like a blunt object as subjects. Just bombastic. The sense of melancholy and simply living a tired existence feels right for such beings. Then theres the sort of star crossed lovers aspect of the two mains that I also vibed with. I have to check out the rest of his filmography since I loved Paterson too.

Watch Ghost Dog! I've seen most of Jarmusch's catalog since I got into him when Dead Man came out with Johnny Depp, but Only Lovers Left Alive is one of the few I haven't seen. I need to watch it. Saw the trailer for his new zombie flick before Pet Semetary and it looked fun.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:21:12 PM by Bebpo »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33526 on: April 07, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »

I was going to watch the new Pet Sematary on Friday, but then I remembered that it didn't have Lt. Tasha Yar in it, so I just watched the original again. I bet the new one doesn't even have Yar's dad going apeshit at the funeral and punching out Louis while yelling "KILLER OF CHILDREN!!" :lol
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33527 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:58 PM »
Merged the two movie threads.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33528 on: April 07, 2019, 11:10:42 PM »
 :hump

Bebpo

« Reply #33529 on: April 08, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »
Got a question for you guys that remember or have seen the original Pet Semetary recently,

So I'm reading some reviews of the new film and I'm seeing a common theme among reviews to talk about the first film and how it's both a terrible movie and that it's extremely tone-deaf. The latter bit has me curious what it's doing to be tone-deaf. I watched the trailer and some clips but it just looks like a cheesy af movie these days. Can someone explain what about the film might be tone-deaf in modern times?

Himu

« Reply #33530 on: April 08, 2019, 01:54:19 AM »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33531 on: April 08, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »
Yeah, I wanna see that but it’s not playing near me yet.

Himu

« Reply #33532 on: April 08, 2019, 03:03:37 AM »
I also missed Godard's latest and I'm kicking myself. Comes out on Blu-ray May 21 tho.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:10:37 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33533 on: April 08, 2019, 03:32:18 AM »
Blame

What. It's okay. Camera work is uninspired. It has the talking head tv syndrome where one person speaks and it cuts to them speaking, much like a soap opera. It's a very predictable cinematography that feels lacking personality at times. There's very little dynamism in the camera work but the lighting can be incredible. Visuals are solid but the story is all over the place. Not only does it introduce story elements that are beyond creepy, the film doesn't know what it wants to be: an examination on modern adolescence or an analysis of isolation? It doesn't know. The main character Abigail is an isolated teenager that is bullied and somehow they put focus on a creepy teacher that is also isolated in his life, except he's the only adult the movie focuses on and there's a massive clash between storylines, which is mostly based around the teenagers. Like, what are you trying to say? An okay movie overall, but lots of weird and creepo moments. Has a nice, short run time thankfully.

You know what? I change my mind. It's a bad movie. The story is so bad it can't be considered anything otherwise. Everything in the story happens for convenience. Things happen to push the plot forward even if it makes zero logical sense.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:11:11 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #33534 on: April 08, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Imma watch something on Criterion Channel tonight. Name me some shit to watch.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33535 on: April 08, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Yeah dude it finally launched.

Let's watch something together. I'm on a Kurosawa kick. I'm going to go through his entire oeuvre again. Seven Samurai tonight. No work today so I'm just watching films and playing Sekiro.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33536 on: April 08, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
Let's watch Taipei Story. It's been on my list.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/taipei-story
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33537 on: April 08, 2019, 03:39:44 PM »
ZATOICHI COLLECTION ON CRITERION CHANNEL

https://www.criterionchannel.com/zatoichi-the-blind-swordsman

I am screaming at my computer. I know what I'm watching alongside Kurosawa and to be playing Sekiro at the same time. :rejoice
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #33538 on: April 08, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
I’ve never seen a Kurosawa movie lol outside of Seven Samurai
serge

Himu

« Reply #33539 on: April 08, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
I’ve never seen a Kurosawa movie lol outside of Seven Samurai

Watch Rashomon.