Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182763 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33540 on: April 08, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
I’ve never seen a Kurosawa movie lol outside of Seven Samurai

Watch Rashomon.

I added it to my list. I’ll watch it first because you recommended it.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33541 on: April 08, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »

Watch Rashomon.

I added it to my list. I’ll watch it first because you recommended it.

If nothing else watch it because it has such a wide cultural footprint. It has gone on to influence many. Some police and lawyers even watch it to study its implications. It’s one of those films (12 Angry Men, 2001, Godfather) that is highly influential, deeply referenced, and imo Kurosawa’s best. He has a lot of fantastic films but this one (as well as Seven Samurai and arguably Yojimbo/Ikiru) simply transcends.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33542 on: April 08, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »
or just watch Hoodwinked!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33543 on: April 08, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
I think my favorite Kurosawa movie might be Ikiru. I haven't watched it, or really any of his movies, in a long time, though.
dog

Himu

« Reply #33544 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Lots of buffering on criterion channel today :(
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33545 on: April 08, 2019, 11:16:06 PM »

Yojimbo is great because it's a comedy. Mifune is funny af.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33546 on: April 08, 2019, 11:34:53 PM »
Madadayo was boring as hell. Maybe I was too young when I watched it, though.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #33547 on: April 08, 2019, 11:49:16 PM »

Yojimbo is great because it's a comedy. Mifune is funny af.

It’s not entirely a comedy though. That’s more Sanjuro.

Yojimbo is worth watching at least to compare it to Fistful of Dollars and how much that film cribbed from Yojimbo. Plus the film is pretty amazing. Amazing enough to steal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:19:46 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #33548 on: April 09, 2019, 01:50:39 AM »
I think my favorite Kurosawa movie might be Ikiru. I haven't watched it, or really any of his movies, in a long time, though.

At the time when I first saw it I also found it a favorite. I've watched High and Low a few more times though so it'd probably take top spot.

Himu

« Reply #33549 on: April 09, 2019, 02:14:48 AM »
Taipei Story

An isolative, breath stealing, two hour drama of 1980's Taiwan. It's so lonely. Almost every shot emphasizes that. The camera work is an expert study in lights and darks and what better camera footage to take than 16mm to fit the bill? Nearly every shot is a sublime work of photographic art. It's such a visual treat I took screen caps. The lighting master class. Again, nearly every shot, even during the day has a juxtaposition between light and dark and if it's not doing that, it usually has one light source to play with shadow. One of the most visually stimulating films I've seen in a long time.

the framing on this shot :whew

What a lonely, lonely film. Definitely similar to something I'd make.

And what a fucking story. A+, highly recommend. The sets are so lived in that it feels real. I forgot I was watching a movie half the time.

Seven Samurai

As good as ever. I used to not like the battles but now I love how damn chaotic they are.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33550 on: April 09, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »
And let me just say that aside from the buffer issues, bang for your buck, Criterion Channel is the most feature packed streaming service yet. Great first day for the service overall.

Yi Yi next now that I've seen Taipei Story.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33551 on: April 09, 2019, 02:27:15 AM »

Himu

« Reply #33552 on: April 09, 2019, 02:32:11 AM »

From the same guy who directed Snowpiercer? Looking forward to it.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33553 on: April 09, 2019, 02:37:21 AM »
Bong Joon-ho is pretty great yeah, to be honest though I'm a huge Song Kang-ho Stanley and will watch anything he's in :lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #33554 on: April 09, 2019, 02:59:25 AM »
Cindi, you sold me on Taipei Story. Will check it out.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #33555 on: April 09, 2019, 04:17:55 AM »
captiain marvel - very meh. it had some things i liked such as young nick fury and the skrulls but overall i found it very hard to give a shit about anything happening. off the heels of infinity war it all felt pointless with no weight or even spectacle and came across as a tick-box exercise (character is showing up in the next proper movie so better get out an origin movie plus can make money pretending to be woke)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33556 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33557 on: April 09, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »

At the time when I first saw it I also found it a favorite. I've watched High and Low a few more times though so it'd probably take top spot.

High and Low is a really good movie, too.
dog

Himu

« Reply #33558 on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:52 AM »
High and low is tremendous.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33559 on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33560 on: April 09, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »
And let me just say that aside from the buffer issues, bang for your buck, Criterion Channel is the most feature packed streaming service yet. Great first day for the service overall.

Yi Yi next now that I've seen Taipei Story.

It needs a PS4 App before I buy in. I'm not watching Godard at my computer desk.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33561 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
Ok. Watched it. Gimme another. Under two hours please. It’s a work night and I get sleepy early.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33562 on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:15 AM »
Another what? Kurosawa or just movie, period?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33563 on: April 09, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Grey Gardens
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33564 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
Another Kurosawa if possible.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33565 on: April 09, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »
Another Kurosawa if possible.

For Kurosawa under 2 hours? What did you like about Rashomon? Do you want samurai? Or do you want character drama?
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #33566 on: April 09, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
Better stick with samurai. I don’t want anything that might put me to sleep. I’ll be very stoned.
serge

Himu

« Reply #33567 on: April 09, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »
Samurai? Yojimbo.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33568 on: April 09, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »
Alternatively if you're interested in martial arts action maybe watch Sanshiro Sugata instead. It was Kurosawa's first film and has many filmmaking elements he and his team would later use in future, more famous films. It's fun and it's short as shit.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #33569 on: April 09, 2019, 02:20:37 PM »
Added em both.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33570 on: April 09, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
As much as some people hate it, I quite liked the Japanese live action Kenshin trilogy

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33571 on: April 09, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
Caught this the other day, really cool thriller. Nails the suspense with the few tools it afforded itself. Issues with basic plausibility gnawed at me, but not enough to detract too much. Incredible debut.

High Life should be out in a few days  :rejoice Robert Pattinson and K Stew getting some great roles that show them in a new light these days. Love Stewart in Olivier Assayas' last two movies (Personal Shopper is so sick), and Good Time gave me a new (high) opinion of Pattinson.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:23:11 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #33572 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:59 AM »
All this talk of Kurosawa got me to finally watch RAN. What are these hats they're all wearing at the beginning?
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Like nearly every other time I've watched a Kurosawa movie afterward I'm thinking, why did I put this off so long? Been on my watchlist for years. So incredibly enjoyable, amazing riff on King Lear. Saburo, what a goddamn gem :heartbeat
:'(
[close]
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #33573 on: April 10, 2019, 02:25:23 PM »
Watched some early silent films yesterday. I occasionally do it to see how far we've come. It's amazing how film goes from The Great Train Robbery to Metropolis and The Passion of Joan of Arc in less than 30 years.

The silent films I watched were all crap but it's interesting to see the techniques and technology evolve over time.

The movies were:

The Great Train Robbery
The Lonedale Operator
Buster Keaton's The Playhouse

That was all I could stand. Watch the minstrel show in that Buster Keaton stuff is always so damn awful. Never mind Griffith's later embracing KKK with Birth of a Nation.

Then I watched Yojimbo to wash my palate.

I recently re-watched A Fistful of Dollars and was taken aback by how much it cribs - even entire shots - from Yojimbo. But after watching Yojimbo for the first time in a long while, I have to say that ultimately I prefer Fistful for its tone, more grounded story elements, and cinematography. I just prefer it, although Yojimbo is still the original classic.

Thinking of watching Pacific Rim 2 or Up In The Air after The General tonight. I have never seen Pacific Rim 2. The first one kicked ass so I'm looking forward to it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33574 on: April 10, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »
All this talk of Kurosawa got me to finally watch RAN. What are these hats they're all wearing at the beginning?

[close]

Like nearly every other time I've watched a Kurosawa movie afterward I'm thinking, why did I put this off so long? Been on my watchlist for years. So incredibly enjoyable, amazing riff on King Lear. Saburo, what a goddamn gem :heartbeat
[close]

Those are called eboshi. They were worn pre Sengoku period I think by samurai class men.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33575 on: April 10, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

Himu

« Reply #33576 on: April 10, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »
Yuck.

IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33577 on: April 10, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
I'm a simple man. I don't hear mc hammer, I don't click like!

shosta

« Reply #33578 on: April 10, 2019, 04:43:23 PM »
I've seen Ran three times. It's my favorite movie.
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33579 on: April 10, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
 :leon that teaser actually looks pretty good

Tasty

« Reply #33580 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »
Glass (2019, dir. M. Night Shyamalan)

What a bummer. Stick to low budget horror-comedies, M. Night.

2 / 5

Summer of 84 (2018, dir. François Simard, Anouk Whissell, and Yoann-Karl Whissell)

This movie was giving me so many Book of Henry flashbacks it actually got distracting and probably impacted my overall enjoyment, haha. In fact I was kinda sour on the movie for the first half or so, but then it gradually began winning me back. I think the problem I have with this film is that the director knows all the 80s tropes and wanted to subvert many of them, but bit off more than it could chew... Hard to describe, but if the movie hadn't been so "Thing and/or trope you know from the 80's!!" at the start it might have hooked me a little bit sooner.

3 / 5

Captain Marvel (2019, dir. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck)

Pretty much a Phase 1 MCU movie in Phase 3 cosmic clothing. I wish the last act felt more empowering than it was, some emotional stuff wasn't really set up all that well IMO.

3 / 5

Last Shift (2014, dir. Anthony DiBlasi)

A braindead budgetless horror movie with inept twists, horrid acting, and a dearth of scares.

1 / 5

The Nun (2018, dir. Corin Hardy)

Utter schlock, but the location and cinematography was actually up my alley. And when the movie goes full schlock at the end (somewhere around the time the Super Nun Corps arrives to fight the demon with group prayer) it gets fairly entertaining. I don't know if it's better than the Annabelle movies but it does seem more memorable.

2 / 5

Dead & Buried (1981, dir. Gary Sherman)

This movie was just cool. It has a great setup for the horrors that unfold (don't look it up or read spoilers, since things only really become clear towards the end) and does something entirely fresh different with the "zombie" concept.

And what a shocker of an ending! Gave this one an extra point just for that.
[close]

4 / 5

Timecrimes (alt. "Los Cronocrímenes," 2007, dir. Nacho Vigalondo)

I fell in love with this Spanish indie scifi/horror flick. It's stripped-down and focused, but not at the expense of a layered and evolving plot. It's well-explained with good dialogue, but not to the detriment of the audience's intelligence.

This film also does a really good job, better than most I've seen, of playing with some really dark concepts and forcing you to reexamine what you think of the main character.

Timecrimes is a great example of the type of horror movie I'm always on the hunt for: small-scale without being super obvious about it, solid acting, and a neat concept that doesn't just "stay" a neat concept. So many indie horrors I watch (and I've been trying to watch a lot lately) have a really cool idea and then just... don't do anything with it. This movie does stuff and managed to stay one step ahead of me most of the time, and that also deserves extra props.

Really solid camerawork too, almost hypnotic sometimes. My only complaints mostly stem from "first film" issues from writer-director Nacho Vigalondo (there's no escaping how cheap it feels sometimes, and not all the acting is stellar), but there's no question he's on my radar now and I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of his filmography soon.

4 / 5

Terrified (2017, dir. Demián Rugna)

Wonderful! Although this isn't *really* an anthology-horror, it kinda feels like one, and along with Southbound it's given me hope in the genre after the V/H/S series threw said hope off a cliff about ten years ago.

With this one, I can't really put my finger on anything specific I liked (other than the unique narrative structure in the first half or so), but it does everything well and it all works together to create a compelling, inventive and chilling horror tale.

4 / 5

Don't Leave Home (2018, dir. Michael Tully)

Plodding to the point of near-frustration, this one was more of a dark drama with a hint of supernatural and than out-and-out horror of any kind.

This one was just barely saved by some very effective directing, and a few stunning sequences in particular, along with a neat concept in general.

2 / 5

The Canal (2014, dir. Ivan Kavanagh)

I would describe this as a "Lynch-light" feature. It cribs a bit too much to stand on its own, but considering how little that particular audience is catered too, I was OK with it this time. (Usually, obvious and poorly-done Lynch knockoffs and homages rile me up like little else.)

But yeah, I think this one mostly works. Just don't compare it with the master and you should be good. :)

Disclaimer: Was fairly high for this one, so that may have affected my enjoyment as well.

4 / 5

The Witch in the Window (2018, dir. Andy Mitton)

Wonderful little low-budget horror film about a reluctant father-son pair dealing with a ghost in the house they're attempting to fix and flip. For what it is, the acting is surprisingly top-notch, and the director Andy Mitton has a great grasp of horror framing and editing to achieve tension. Unfortunately, there's really no suspense -- after a noticeable point, the titular witch basically stops being a threat, and when she attempts to "get" someone (like those cliche scenes where the character slowly turns to look at a shadow or something behind them), it's literally an old woman running at the camera with her arms flailing out. There's nothing the movie could do to make me take it seriously after seeing that.

It's a shame, since the bones of the story are pretty strong (despite some wonky and obvious dialogue in places), and like I said the performances were all there.

My final criticism is that while I understand the movie wanted to be "smart" and answer the eternal question of these movies "Why don't they just leave??", sending the son away (and then revealing he never came back) works against the themes of the movie. Actually, it seemed weird to me, since until that point we've mostly seen the movie through the son's eyes, and then they seemingly eject that protagonist 2/3's through the movie to make it about the dad.

The dad was probably intended as the main protagonist all along, but I dunno, it felt weird to me to have 70% of the movie be literally two people, and then they get scared and the dad goes "OK son kthxbye." And the ending is predictable from there.
[close]

3 / 5

The Beyond (1981, dir. Lucio Fulci)

Haven't delved much into Italian horror, but I'm liking what I'm seeing if this film is an indication. Lucio Fulci really shows a keen insight into what makes horror work, and what makes a film work, and although the marriage of his ideas to celluloid isn't quite as clean as I'd like... at least it still makes great horror!

Honestly, I will say this movie probably doesn't play well for a modern audience -- I was pretty enraptured *almost* the entire time, but some stretches can get a bit boring. However the absolutely excellent background score kept drawing me in again and again no matter what.

This also now has one of my favorite horror movie endings ever. A serene nightmare.

4 / 5

Downrange (2017, dir. Ryohei Kitamura)

A step-up (but just barely) from Ryohei Kitamura's execrable The Midnight Meat Train (2008), this movie is probably decent with crowds but mostly a total failure as an actual horror film otherwise. This is classed as "action-horror" but there's no horror, and no real action either? So I don't really get it. The tension evaporates like a fart in the wind after a decent intro, and it's all downhill from there. The movie veers towards "so bad it's good" with some truly awful performances and dialog, but never quite commits to any specific tone -- a pet peeve of mine, and something I'm finding I don't like about Kitamura's directing in general.

I'm also not really one to complain about a lack of explanations (The Bore's... third most prominent Lynch fan checking in, hey-oh), but there also really should have been *something* given on the sniper. Like, even give him some kind of quirk. Maybe he chews gum! Something. Anything!

Also the gore CGI was Very Bad™.

2 / 5

shosta

« Reply #33581 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »

I fell in love with this Spanish indie scifi/horror flick. It's stripped-down and focused, but not at the expense of a layered and evolving plot. It's well-explained with good dialogue, but not to the detriment of the audience's intelligence.

This film also does a really good job, better than most I've seen, of playing with some really dark concepts and forcing you to reexamine what you think of the main character.

Timecrimes is a great example of the type of horror movie I'm always on the hunt for: small-scale without being super obvious about it, solid acting, and a neat concept that doesn't just "stay" a neat concept. So many indie horrors I watch (and I've been trying to watch a lot lately) have a really cool idea and then just... don't do anything with it. This movie does stuff and managed to stay one step ahead of me most of the time, and that also deserves extra props.

Really solid camerawork too, almost hypnotic sometimes. My only complaints mostly stem from "first film" issues from writer-director Nacho Vigalondo (there's no escaping how cheap it feels sometimes, and not all the acting is stellar), but there's no question he's on my radar now and I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of his filmography soon.

4 / 5
I love this cult classic. Saw it on Netflix back when Netflix was really good and you could find a ton of interesting, lesser known films on it. I feel like we've gone back to the dark ages now that streaming has balkanized and there isn't a solid recommendation engine steering me toward these things anymore.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #33582 on: April 10, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »

4 / 5
I love this cult classic. Saw it on Netflix back when Netflix was really good and you could find a ton of interesting, lesser known films on it. I feel like we've gone back to the dark ages now that streaming has balkanized and there isn't a solid recommendation engine steering me toward these things anymore.

I can't really comment on how Netflix used to be but I do kinda agree. Though I will say 90% of the movies I listed are on Shudder, I'm basically going through their catalog to justify my subscription lol.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33583 on: April 10, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »
Watched some early silent films yesterday. I occasionally do it to see how far we've come. It's amazing how film goes from The Great Train Robbery to Metropolis and The Passion of Joan of Arc in less than 30 years.

The silent films I watched were all crap but it's interesting to see the techniques and technology evolve over time.

The movies were:

The Great Train Robbery
The Lonedale Operator

That was all I could stand. Watch the minstrel show in that Buster Keaton stuff is always so damn awful. Never mind Griffith's later embracing KKK with Birth of a Nation.

I recently re-watched A Fistful of Dollars and was taken aback by how much it cribs - even entire shots - from Yojimbo. But after watching Yojimbo for the first time in a long while, I have to say that ultimately I prefer Fistful for its tone, more grounded story elements, and cinematography. I just prefer it, although Yojimbo is still the original classic.

Thinking of watching Pacific Rim 2 or Up In The Air after The General tonight. I have never seen Pacific Rim 2. The first one kicked ass so I'm looking forward to it.

The General with Buster Keaton (not to be confused with The General with Shaq) is my favorite silent movie. I think it's on Amazon Prime.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33584 on: April 10, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
dog

naff

« Reply #33585 on: April 10, 2019, 08:45:35 PM »

[close]

[close]

Those are called eboshi. They were worn pre Sengoku period I think by samurai class men.

this is the only site i could find a clear depiction of something really similar http://www.kariginu.jp/kikata/2-2.htm ("old fashioned rattan hat" is the transalation im getting). get some old depictions when i looked up ori or "samurai" eboshi. cool style anyway, had never seen it before.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #33586 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Ah, the days when I could find shit like Spirit of the Beehive on Netflix. Netflix blows now.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33587 on: April 10, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »

[close]

[close]

this is the only site i could find a clear depiction of something really similar http://www.kariginu.jp/kikata/2-2.htm ("old fashioned rattan hat" is the transalation im getting). get some old depictions when i looked up ori or "samurai" eboshi. cool style anyway, had never seen it before.

There's different kinds and it's dependent on the era.

I'm used to it because it's featured in a lot of Nobunaga game art.

It's essentially a part of non-battle wear for samurai. When they're out of battle they'd cover their hair and it was considered dishonorable for a samurai to not cover their hair with a hat. If I recall, ebishu went out of fashion post-Sengoku era of which Ran takes place as a setting.

The movies were:

The Great Train Robbery
The Lonedale Operator

The General with Buster Keaton (not to be confused with The General with Shaq) is my favorite silent movie. I think it's on Amazon Prime.

I'm watching it on Youtube. It's a culmination of the entire silent era in many ways. Good farewell to an old era.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33588 on: April 10, 2019, 08:56:29 PM »

It's interesting how Chaplin made a silent film in the middle of the talkie era nearly ten years after the advent of sound being introduced in movies. The cojones.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33589 on: April 10, 2019, 10:05:10 PM »
Hellboy's at 9% on RT, lmao. What a fuck up.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #33590 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »
People were so impressed by Neil Marshall’s work on Game of Thrones, but it’s clear that show is more about the writing, producing and acting. When given the chance to direct a new vision of a potential tentpole movie, he muffs it… badly. Besides all the things mentioned above, even the music choices annoyed me about this movie, because how can you make an awesome band like Royal Blood sound as bad as it does here? (Another major action sequence is choreographed to Motley Crue’s “Kickstart My Heart,” which seriously dates the movie.)

At its worst, the movie falls somewhere between Van Helsing (remember that bad movie classic?) and the Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. Sadly, you can’t even laugh at how bad the movie is, just because it’s so sad that this is the best filmmakers could come up with for a fairly decent comic book character.

Himu

« Reply #33591 on: April 10, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
speaking of music choices today i heard the clash's should i stay or should i go during lunch break and I used to love that song so much until Stranger Things fucking ruined it by playing it 9999 times during season 1.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33592 on: April 10, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
Also this could be the first of many post-GoT producer/writer/director alumni disappointments. It's a situation where the source material is so good it elevates the people involved and when they move on they're exposed. :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33593 on: April 11, 2019, 01:29:53 AM »
Saw Shazam, was cute. Had fun. Mark Strong was kinda wasted since Mark Strong is awesome and should be used in awesome roles, but otherwise good stuff. Second DC movie I've actually had fun watching after Aquaman. If only these two films had been the start of the DC Universe and not all the Snyder stuff...

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33594 on: April 11, 2019, 01:38:36 AM »
Mark Strong has such a villainous face : (

Bebpo

« Reply #33595 on: April 11, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »
I've liked him in a lot of stuff, but the Kingsmen movies is where he really stood out. Probably because he was the best part of both. So dumb they're not casting him in the prequel.

Quaker

« Reply #33596 on: April 11, 2019, 02:07:33 AM »
Also this could be the first of many post-GoT producer/writer/director alumni disappointments. It's a situation where the source material is so good it elevates the people involved and when they move on they're exposed. :rejoice
Exposed for what? At the very least Neil Marshall already had The Descent and even Benioff had 25th Hour.

Himu

« Reply #33597 on: April 11, 2019, 02:10:42 AM »
Exposed for what? At the very least Neil Marshall already had The Descent and even Benioff had 25th Hour.

Mostly referring to D&D :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33598 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:48 AM »
Yeah, uh Neil Marshall did a whopping total of 2 episodes of GoT according to his wiki entry. He's basically done jack and shit since Centurion in 2010 outside a few TV eps.

I was a big Marshall fan initially because Dog Soldiers is super fun and underrated and The Descent was good. But the dude fell pretty hard. His Mad Max movie doomsday sucked and then Centurion sucked and he basically vanished outside some TV eps only to come back and do a 10% RT Hellboy adaptation that no one wanted. :|

Seeing it tomorrow night for free. Sounds like I better have a drink first.

Quaker

« Reply #33599 on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:05 AM »
Those aren't just two random episodes of some random TV show. They're pretty widely regarded as high-water marks for TV action and it's one of the highest profile TV shows around. As far as opportunities available he was probably at his career best before this Hellboy thing happened.