Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184206 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #33000 on: January 23, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
Yeah, i'm out too. Unless M. Night swears that his got the idea for his next film during a recent first-time LSD experience, it's not worth my time.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33001 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33002 on: January 23, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »
Welp, I guess I can scratch Glass off the list. Thanks Bebs!
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #33003 on: January 23, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »

Looking forward to this.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33004 on: January 23, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »
I like Black Panther, but come on. It's a good movie, but thats it.

The CGI was pretty terrible.

The cinematography failed really highlighting how beautiful Africa was.

The production design did not do a good job making me realize how big and fantastic Wakanda is. Oh boy it's the same kind of boring Bazzar street.

There's solid storytelling and writing, but lets be honest T'challa is overshadowed by the villain and the actor is overshadowed by everyone else honestly. And I think this is a flaw since the story is tied to the main character.

It brings up a lot of themes about how the world treats minorities in general, but really kind of doesn't have much to say beyond a surface level.

Again it's a good movie and I understand it's importance. But I don't think that makes it one of the best movies.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33005 on: January 23, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »
Better then Aquaman which I thought was terrible though.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33006 on: January 23, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
Can we just get a category called "Most woke film?" And be done with it?
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33007 on: January 23, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
ghostbuster 2016?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33008 on: January 23, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
ghostbuster 2016?
I don't know if that qualifies as a "film"
que

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33009 on: January 23, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »

They included it cause it was popular, not woke.

Tasty

« Reply #33010 on: January 23, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
Bebs and everyone is gonna be back for Unbreakable 4: Split 3: Glass 2: Diamond where it's revealed at the end to  be in Shyamaverse continuity, with protagonist Captain Diamond learning

spoiler (click to show/hide)
none of the characters actually died and Sarah Paulson is only using the Silver Shamrock Gang to build an army of superheroes and defeat them from the inside.
[close]

Thus setting up all five chars to return for their own Avengers called Unbreakable 5: Split 4: Glass 3: Diamond 2: Sliver which is both a sequel to the Shyamaverse and to the (overrated) 1993 erotic thriller Sliver.

[close]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:51:46 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #33011 on: January 23, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
Also Sliver is about Sam Jackson's offscreen son, get it

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33012 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
they included it cause it was both

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33013 on: January 24, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nicolas-cage-nabs-lead-sci-fi-thriller-color-space-1178325?utm_source=twitter

Nicolas Cage and Tommy Chong are starring in The Color Out of Space, from the director of Hardware. I think I may already be insane. :rejoice
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33014 on: January 25, 2019, 04:55:22 AM »
I'm really hyped up for the next Lanthimos movie The Favourite, since I liked all of the other three features he made  I know it got showered with Oscar nominations but has it been out yet in the US ?

Also Emma Stone is :lawd

ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #33015 on: January 25, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
I've noticed the reviews are coming out for Polar. It is getting absoutely panned by professional critics. I mean like 1 star reviews. It doesn't surprise me. It is a film that is all surface, 1 dimensional characters and lots of gratuitous sex and violence.

It is a fairly entertaining movie though. Don't let that 1 star fool you.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33016 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »
I know it got showered with Oscar nominations but has it been out yet in the US ?

It didn't get a very wide release, but I see it showing in a few places in my area.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33017 on: January 25, 2019, 05:26:32 PM »
Watching that DBZ Broly movie. Haven't showered for five days in preparation. Drapped in my silk anime shirt
:9

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33018 on: January 25, 2019, 07:29:06 PM »
I was bored and wanted to watch a dumb movie that I could maybe doze off for a few minutes in and Escape Room was that film. I really liked the actor that played Corey Feldman.  5/5
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33019 on: January 25, 2019, 09:37:49 PM »
Man Broly was a spectacle, the fights were fantastic, but how, FUCKING HOW do kids deal with that much exposition? Fuckity fuck fuck. And Broly, man, talk about a character whos sole purpose is to be a beefy punching bag. I may have went into this asking too much of it.

Also the obvious ass shots of green alien girl was skeevy as fuck

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33020 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33021 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:15 PM »

Can't watch right now, but this is the trailer for the new Harmony Korine movie, right? I didn't like the look of this when I saw a trailer in theaters, and I'm like, Harmony Korine Fan #1.
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33022 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:50 AM »
Dirt Stupid Movies Hooooo...

Misconduct has handsome, noirish cinematography, a ridiculously high profile cast for the type of movie it is (Pacino, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Julia Stiles, and Byung Hun Lee shows up jussst long enough to thoroughly outclass actual lead of the film Josh Duhamel in terms of screen presence), and a mystery/thriller plot that's barely coherent much less sensical. Also, the performances are all over the map, even from its nominally overachieving cast (cripes Al, that's your worst accent yet). Out of all the people listed weirdly enough its the undistinguished Alice Eve that somehow manages to play a convincing character of some sort (although Hopkins is clearly at least enjoying his inconsistent character). Its schlocky, inept, leaden and somewhat compelling to watch in a train-wreck sort of fashion. But give it the casting a production values it actually deserves (2nd-tier rural High School Drama Club on a 90's Lifetime TV movie budget) and it wouldn't hold much interest.

Poor Keanu Reeves really tries awfully damn hard to stretch himself in Replicas, he's actually sorta okay in it, so is Alice Eve (again, jeez! Get a new agent) as his wife, but its a dumb movie that's trying (and falling waaaaaay short) to be a smart science fiction thriller. Its a sub Twilight Zone (the 2000's version specifically) scenario wherein a grieving scientist attempts to mad science his dead family back to life. Going through the mechanics of monitoring a clone pod and such is actually a bit of goofy fun. But for a film with nearly thirty listed producer credits, it somehow comes out undercooked. It does make Puerto Rico look awfully darn nice tho. They can use the boost.

TVC and his excellent taste in trash cinema made me take another look at Escape Room, which I ended up liking a lot more than I thought I was going to. Its the PG-13 remake of Cube I never knew I wanted. Its refreshingly light on exposition, and the scant character development is sewn throughout by the actions that they take. Its a sturdier storytelling device than it initially appears to be. So its a somewhat clever film with a dopey premise. Its no masterpiece, but its the rare studio made teenager aiming horror/thriller that doesn't disappoint. Hell, I can honestly say I enjoyed it more than the nominated-for-4-Oscars-Green Book.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33023 on: January 26, 2019, 08:03:57 AM »
Watched Polar. A very fun movie but I felt the latter half of the movie was much better than the first half.
Anyhow this has cult classic written all over it but it is a Netflix thing and most of their movies don't have much staying power so we'll see.

This is also Mads audition to play Big Boss or Liquid Snake.  :whew

[close]
🤴

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33024 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
Destroyer is kind of a mess, but at least its an interesting one. It attempts to take a well trodden crime drama path (burnout detective striving for redemption, on their latest case, but this time its personal), and drains all the pulp from this scenario. Its less a crime drama than a crime DRAMA. And its elements dont always cohere so well. Nicole Kidman leads a strong cast but she's like the movie in whole, alternating between great and adrift within it. But when the parts here do snap into place it can be (temporarily) electrifying. I wanted to like this film more than I did, and yet elements of it are sticking with me than many of the more successful I've seen this year. A guarded recomendation for this I give.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33025 on: January 26, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
I couldnt wait any longer and not willing to go to Boston for it. Just downloaded Cold War and will give it a watch tonight. I dont think a trailer for a film has vibed with me on emotional level like this one has. So I'm quite excited.

TVC15

« Reply #33026 on: January 26, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
The selection of movies out is so dire that I almost considered seeing that new Spider Man cartoon movie. Have an invite to Lego Movie 2 screening, too.

Luckily, Nausicaa is playing at a theater so I don’t have to reduce myself to such faqqotry.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33027 on: January 26, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
FUCK Nausicaa is sold out.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33028 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:37 PM »
Fuck, am I goin to have to reduce myself to Bohemian Pedophile Rhapsody?
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33029 on: January 26, 2019, 04:13:23 PM »
Fuck it, I’m seeing a star is born. At least it has drag queens.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33030 on: January 26, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
Fuck it, I’m seeing a star is born. At least it has drag queens.

I'd say thats the best choice. Loved it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33031 on: January 26, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
The selection of movies out is so dire that I almost considered seeing that new Spider Man cartoon movie.

I'd honestly put that one above most of the oscar nominees. Was real good. It's disgusting they gave Black Panther the nod over that one, but whatever.

Shit awards be shit.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33032 on: January 26, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
The selection of movies out is so dire that I almost considered seeing that new Spider Man cartoon movie. Have an invite to Lego Movie 2 screening, too.

Luckily, Nausicaa is playing at a theater so I don’t have to reduce myself to such faqqotry.
:mynicca

TVC15

« Reply #33033 on: January 26, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
It’s okay to circumvent the word filter if it’s to shit on comic movies.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33034 on: January 26, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
It’s okay to circumvent the word filter
:-[

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33035 on: January 26, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Cold War

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33036 on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
Man that final line oh man. I fucking can't. Its a movie I loved that's sitting with me and just growing. So many relatable facets.

TVC15

« Reply #33037 on: January 26, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »
A Star Is Born is the worst movie I’ve seen in theaters since Burning. Potential rant incoming when I get home and am at a keyboard.

Stay home and watch something better like Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33038 on: January 26, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
Oh baby noooooo

TVC15

« Reply #33039 on: January 26, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »
A Star Is Born: C-

Can anyone tell me how long of a time period this movie takes place over? There's often little context for how much time passes between scenes. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it seems like months. Gaga goes from a soulful singer to a pop tart in about 5 minutes. Then she regrets it because Brad Cooper rightfully thinks her new material is garbage, but then she's okay with it again. It's all poorly done.

The first third or so, up until she meets her manager is fine, but not great. Cooper does a bad job, like Gump tier, playing an alcoholic. Neither Gaga's or his characters have personalities that are very well defined. Gaga does well with what she has, I guess. Cooper not so much.

The songs suck. It's long. The direction is fine I guess as long as you don't pin the pacing problems on Cooper.

No idea what Blue saw in this. It's a chick flick made for especially easy to please chicks.

The drag queens are in the first ten minutes and a half second later on. Skip the rest. Disastah.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33040 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »

Can anyone tell me how long of a time period this movie takes place over? There's often little context for how much time passes between scenes. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it seems like months. Gaga goes from a soulful singer to a pop tart in about 5 minutes. Then she regrets it because Brad Cooper rightfully thinks her new material is garbage, but then she's okay with it again. It's all poorly done.

The first third or so, up until she meets her manager is fine, but not great. Cooper does a bad job, like Gump tier, playing an alcoholic. Neither Gaga's or his characters have personalities that are very well defined. Gaga does well with what she has, I guess. Cooper not so much.

The songs suck. It's long. The direction is fine I guess as long as you don't pin the pacing problems on Cooper.

No idea what Blue saw in this. It's a chick flick made for especially easy to please chicks.

The drag queens are in the first ten minutes and a half second later on. Skip the rest. Disastah.

Straight up, I saw my pain in it. That tortured artist tired of the doldrum of life ready to punch out. Which is what he did and is what I saw the outcome to.

TVC15

« Reply #33041 on: January 26, 2019, 10:54:02 PM »

Straight up, I saw my pain in it. That tortured artist tired of the doldrum of life ready to punch out. Which is what he did and is what I saw the outcome to.

Uh, don't you want an actual good movie surrounding that theme? Watch Pollock. This is shit.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33042 on: January 26, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »
I think you just want to put your dick in Lady Gaga's nose like Brad Cooper intimated he did.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33043 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
I love you

And her nasal pasages arent big enough for this

TVC15

« Reply #33044 on: January 26, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
Anyway, like TEEPO after Burning, you owe me a good movie now.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33045 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »
Anyway, like TEEPO after Burning, you owe me a good movie now.

FUCK

Have you seen Mandy?
Neon Demon?
Those two jump to mind

TVC15

« Reply #33046 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »
1. Yes.
2. 20 minutes of it and hated it.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33047 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »
1. Yes.
2. 20 minutes of it and hated it.

Stick with Neon Demon maybe. It has a grotesque ending and a pedophilic Keanu Reeves.

I love its vapid darkness

TVC15

« Reply #33048 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
Refn has proven himself to be terrible.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33049 on: January 26, 2019, 11:15:33 PM »
Refn has proven himself to be terrible.

I love him as I do Aronofsky. These narcissists masquerading as poets

TVC15

« Reply #33050 on: January 26, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »
Anyway, 15.75 matinee ticket, 2 margaritas, 2 beers. You owe me either a good movie or like 70 bucks, bitch. And no cheating and killing yourself like Bradley Cooper, either.

Also, Bradley Cooper really doesn't fly as a lead in a romcom in 2019. Everyone knows he's gay at this point, right? It's been an open secret in gossip forever. He's in a movie with Gaga and drag queen's for fuck's sake.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33051 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:12 PM »
Anyway, 15.75 matinee ticket, 2 margaritas, 2 beers. You owe me either a good movie or like 70 bucks, bitch. And no cheating and killing yourself like Bradley Cooper, either.

Also, Bradley Cooper really doesn't fly as a lead in a romcom in 2019. Everyone knows he's gay at this point, right? It's been an open secret in gossip forever. He's in a movie with Gaga and drag queen's for fuck's sake.

You're gonna regret this post when I strangle myself in my newly bought kate bush t-shirt

Tell you what, I'll eventually head out west and take you out to whatever you want

TVC15

« Reply #33052 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:35 PM »
Would Kate Bush ever wear a t-shirt? T-shirts? Aren't you supposed to be tired of the doldrums of life? T-shirts are doldrums. Each shirt is one doldrum.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33053 on: January 26, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Long sleeves are my doldrums, every inch past my biceps is a fate worse than death

I operate in a place between kate bush and Matthew McConaughey

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33054 on: January 26, 2019, 11:53:27 PM »
sounds like you march to the beat of your own doldrum  :rimshot

TVC15

« Reply #33055 on: January 27, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »
Filler and BlueTsunami, the first one of you to either recommend a good movie that I haven't seen before or send me an undies pic is my new best friend.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #33056 on: January 27, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »
What about me? :uguu

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33057 on: January 27, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »
Filler and BlueTsunami, the first one of you to either recommend a good movie that I haven't seen before or send me an undies pic is my new best friend.

The Vanishing (1988)
Bleak porn

TVC15

« Reply #33058 on: January 27, 2019, 12:10:51 AM »
If you want in, you're in. Undies pic of you or good movie I haven't seen.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33059 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:14 AM »
Blue, dude, I saw the Vanishing when I was like 12.
serge