Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182780 times)

Quaker

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #39660 on: October 20, 2021, 08:02:30 PM »
Titane.

??? But I loved it. But what the fuck
Watch Raw if you haven’t. I’d guess it’s a few notches less fucked up but still batshit insane compared to most other movies.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39661 on: October 20, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »
Raw is one of those good-not-great movies that are still a must watch.
This one seems to go all out visually, tho.

Speaking of weirdo women director, i just noticed that the next Lucile Hadžihalilović creep-fest is coming out this year, and it seems even weirder than her previous ones.
A 50-year-old caretaker is employed to look after 10-year-old girl. His most important task is to maintain her dentures that are made of ice and must be changed several times a day.

Another coming-of-age-made-horror, which was essentially the running theme in her previous two movies.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:36:02 PM by Don Rumata »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39662 on: October 20, 2021, 08:45:27 PM »
Titane.

Watch Raw if you haven’t. I’d guess it’s a few notches less fucked up but still batshit insane compared to most other movies.

I have it downloaded, will watch soon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39663 on: October 20, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »
It on torrents?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39664 on: October 20, 2021, 09:24:15 PM »
It on torrents?
I mean... everything is.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39665 on: October 20, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »
M8 after that trailer you posted, I just went to look for Lucile Hadžihalilović films as they seemed interesting. I can confirm not everything is on torrents

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39666 on: October 20, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »
Evolution you can find, Innocence is older, so is probably harder.
I have the dvd somewhere (bought years ago) tbh, so i never had to bother.

Evolution is more on the horror side anyway, Innocence is disturbing because it mixes the coming of age/puberty thing, with death and some  :jared undertones, but it's more surreal than horror.
I haven't seen her older stuff.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39667 on: October 20, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »
I did end up on some site that I certainly felt I should have had vpn on for, but didn't. Then I gave up

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39668 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »

Love uncharted and love knock of indy movies regardless of quality.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #39669 on: October 21, 2021, 11:30:25 AM »
could marky mark not be bothered to grow a mustache :gurl

looks better than i'd have expected but marky mark as sully seems miscast :doge
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39670 on: October 21, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
The Uncharted movie looks fun but the scenes with the plane look pretty bad.

The Rock or Reynolds movies must be it's own genre by now  :doge
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39671 on: October 21, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »

Wahlberg looks more like Nathan Drake than whoever this 12 year old is

BadAss2961

« Reply #39672 on: October 21, 2021, 03:40:52 PM »

The whole thing is miscast, and the movie itself looks like some type of filtered Disney bullshit.

It's odd, since just nailing the source material could probably result in a hit.

Risible

« Reply #39673 on: October 21, 2021, 05:20:44 PM »
Finally watched Halloween III: Season of the Witch

You know, this was pretty well directed fucked up and violent horror thriller up until about 85% through. Once the main guy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gets kidnapped and has to escape the facility
[close]

The movie kind of loses steam and is just ok. Still a pretty good wacky horror movie, and yeah nothing to do with the other movies. Oh and the music is great.

The new 4k print that just came out was pretty nice looking for most of it.

I unironically think III is one of the best ones.  It's so fucking weird and twisted that it's amazing.  And yes, the score is fucking awesome.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #39674 on: October 22, 2021, 12:05:23 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39675 on: October 22, 2021, 12:23:20 AM »

The whole thing is miscast, and the movie itself looks like some type of filtered Disney bullshit.

It's odd, since just nailing the source material could probably result in a hit.
:hesright those two movies should switch their casts around

Bebpo

« Reply #39676 on: October 22, 2021, 03:38:29 AM »
Dune was neat. Kind of a downer movie though for most of it. Not expecting part 2 to happen, but will look forward to it if it actually gets filmed.

Also kinda lol at the whole "meant to see on a big screen thing" when like 95% of the shots are people just standing and staring at the camera :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 03:47:53 AM by Bebpo »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39677 on: October 22, 2021, 05:12:43 AM »
Ryan Reynolds would make a pretty decent Nathan Drake actually.

For Sully,.... well TOM HANKS of course.
He's perfect for the role.

There you go, there's your Uncharted.

Mark Wahlberg is a cop or a gangster not a thief.

They're going to cast Holland as BOND, aren't they  :doge
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39679 on: October 22, 2021, 11:15:03 AM »
Blanks really get underestimated by most people i think.
My dad bought me a blank firing gun when i was a kid (like 11 or so) and we just had it and used it freely without any supervision, never though about how dangerous it was or whatever.  :thinking
(almost deafened myself with it, once)
Admittedly it had the little steel ball on the tip, but me and my brother removed it because it looked lame.  :doge
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #39680 on: October 22, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »
The introduction to the Sardaukar in Dune was easily the best thing in the film.

« Reply #39681 on: October 22, 2021, 05:55:28 PM »
Not really news, and probably old, but the Doritos Pope was in the new muppets movie.

Appropriately, he plays a bust.

Bebpo

« Reply #39682 on: October 22, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
The introduction to the Sardaukar in Dune was easily the best thing in the film.

I did like the crucifixion's bathe in thy enemies blood river thing and the weirdo shouting dudes.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39683 on: October 23, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »

gamers rise up

🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #39684 on: October 23, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »
this gaunt wicca is a weak chin and bad hair cut away from looking like an incel tbf :doge
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39686 on: October 23, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
a twink gaymer  :thinking what's his account on here  ???

paprikastaude

« Reply #39687 on: October 23, 2021, 11:22:43 AM »
Also kinda lol at the whole "meant to see on a big screen thing" when like 95% of the shots are people just standing and staring at the camera :P

in wide angles  :wag

Quaker

« Reply #39688 on: October 23, 2021, 05:23:03 PM »
Titane.

Seent this.

Liked it. Hard to recommend to normies but I’d say it has similar batshit energy to…Eraserhead/Cronenberg or what if Malignant was arthouse and had good acting and the emotional scenes actually landed. (still as silly tho)

samir

« Reply #39689 on: October 23, 2021, 06:40:52 PM »
Dune was pretty neat.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39690 on: October 23, 2021, 06:42:29 PM »
Watched The Forgotten Battle / Slag om de Schelde

Overall a decent watch for a Dutch movie and if you like films about lesser known WW2 battles.
The pacing was good and the variety between the characters worked out pretty well.

It reminded me a bit of "Unsere Mutter, Unsere Father" or "Generation War" in that regard with a focus on the personal experiences in relation to the bigger machinations of the war.
The characters are just a bit flat and unremarkable overall. Especially the two male leads.
I think they should've dropped one of the 3 leads, mainly the Allied soldier and focused more on the Dutch soldier serving in the German army and the girl that ends up with the resistance by accident.

The third character was literally a third wheel and has no real connection to the rest of the story.
🤴

samir

« Reply #39691 on: October 24, 2021, 12:03:31 AM »
My favorite Dutch movie is Spoorloos 8)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #39692 on: October 24, 2021, 04:16:36 AM »
Dune felt pretty pointless I’m sorry.

Part one has no real pay off or satisfying element to it.

Amazing visuals and ideas, but the script should have accounted for it being a part one. Have some sort of arc and through line for the first movie. I guess that would be Paul and his relationship with his mother, but I’m not sure the movie made that a core part for it to be the main arc.

I mean the movie was amazing to look at and like the book and Lynch movie it’s filled with wonderful ideas...

But right now these ideas don’t go anywhere and I’m not sure they will. The Lynch version at least attempts to do the first book to some messy results. But when we don’t get a sequel, your basically looking at a 2.5 hour act 1. Like if A New Hope ended right as they leave Mos Esliey.

Not even saying “this is like if they only made Fellowship” is a good comparison. This is like if they only made a movie that ended at the creation of the Fellowship.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39693 on: October 24, 2021, 04:48:44 AM »
Part 2 has all but been confirmed in an interview by WB last week.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #39694 on: October 24, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
But that means it’s not confirmed. Studios tease all the time and movies are announced and yet never get off the ground. You also have Dennis saying he’d like to make another movie in between? What are we looking at 5 years before the movie with any payoff?

All we have now is a visually amazing movie with pretty basic storytelling and little characterization. In part 2 when Paul talks about how sad he is that Duncan died I’ll be like who? Hell if we get further and he’s tempted by clone Duncan I’ll be even less engaged about the return of a character that got 5 mins of screen time.

Honestly, I think this was a stupid idea. And I think this is a poorly thought-out project that fails on the script level. A good adaptation would attempt to make the first movie, that for all they know could be it, stand somewhat on its own.

Maybe Fellowship didn't, but again they already knew the sequels were coming.

Sure Matrix Reloaded doesn't stand on its own, but again the sequel was filmed back to back.

This should have been a tv show. Not a movie. In 20 years when they don’t make the sequel, this will be an odd curiosity. “Remember when they made that Dune movie that went nowhere?”. Said when HBO Prime FLIX starts to make the tv show filmed live on location on Mars.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:58:55 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #39695 on: October 24, 2021, 01:54:33 PM »
I think objectively Dune pt.1 is not a great movie. It's pretty shallow, not a lot happens, everything that does happen is phoned in way ahead of time to be predictable with no real surprises, the story plots are half a movie, yada yada

I do think the main kid does a good job with the role.

But subjectively it's gorgeous and cool and an enjoyable 2.5 hours so I think it's a cool movie. I also knew going in it was going to be half a book and not have any major conclusive ending and the subplots wouldn't go anywhere and I was ok with that going in. In a few weeks I'll forget about it but I enjoyed it while I watched it and that was enough for me. If they make a pt.2 hopefully combined it'll be a better film. If they don't it'll be a neat movie that exists and is what it is.

Bebpo

« Reply #39696 on: October 24, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »
Also this isn't the first time they've made half a something and it gets canned and you just have to decide whether that makes what exists pointless.

Like The Losers adaptation of the comic covered the first half and the movie bombed and they never did the rest.
American Gods is a book where the end twists are EVERYTHING to explain what is going on and they canned it midway through the book adaptation lol
Xenoblade X is chapter 1 of a much larger sci-fi story and ends on a cliffhanger with like nothing resolved and the series is probably dead

I know there's many, many others. It happens and it sucks but the stuff can still be enjoyable even if it goes nowhere.

Hopefully Dune does get a pt.2 though, I saw as of Fri box office it looked like it was surprisingly defying all expectations of being a huge bomba and actually doing well which should make pt.2 greenlighting a no brainer. Dune gonna bomb has been such a meme for the past 1-2 years, for once things might actually be ok.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #39697 on: October 24, 2021, 02:01:24 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it because Dune is a cool universe and story. It's just classic storytelling, which is kind of also the point. It looked amazing.

But it's just kind of a questionable proposition to me. Again, this really should have been HBO's follow-up to GoT, not spin-offs that no one seems to care about.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39698 on: October 24, 2021, 02:05:06 PM »
But that means it’s not confirmed. Studios tease all the time and movies are announced and yet never get off the ground. You also have Dennis saying he’d like to make another movie in between? What are we looking at 5 years before the movie with any payoff?

All we have now is a visually amazing movie with pretty basic storytelling and little characterization. In part 2 when Paul talks about how sad he is that Duncan died I’ll be like who? Hell if we get further and he’s tempted by clone Duncan I’ll be even less engaged about a character that got 5 mins of screen time.

Honestly I think this was a stupid idea. And I think this is a dumb project that fails on the script level. A good adaptation would attempt to make the first movie that for all they know could be it, stand somewhat on its own.

This should have been a tv show. Not a movie. In 20 years when they don’t make the sequel this will be an odd curiosity. “Remember when they made that Dune movie that went nowhere?”.
The script for part 2 is pretty much done and Villeneuve said he's ready to start filming in 2022.
In fact, there's rumors that the movie has already been greenlit by now, it just hasn't been made public yet.
They're aiming for a mid-late 2023 release.

And that's also what the recent comments from WB hint towards. We'll probably know it quite soon.
There's also a tie-in TV series that will air in 2022 that is currently in production. So if all goes to plan it looks like this:

2021 - Dune Part 1
2022 - Dune: The Sisterhood
2023 - Dune Part 2
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #39699 on: October 24, 2021, 03:15:12 PM »
Watched Dune and loved it. Not perfect and not sure if I would recommend to the uninitiated, but as a huge fan it did what I thought was impossible all my life.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39700 on: October 24, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
Today I found out that Radiohead originally created the title theme for Spectre which was then replaced with Writing on the Wall because the song was considered 'too dark'.

Of course someone on the internet created what could've been
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39701 on: October 24, 2021, 08:16:32 PM »
Watched HOBBS AND SHAW. Utter garbage. I’m OK with the fast and furious films being like a cartoon, but at least they felt more coherent. I also wasn’t fond of the XXX return of Xander cage, where it seemed like FF minus the Hot Wheels battles.

Today I found out that Radiohead originally created the title theme for Spectre which was then replaced with Writing on the Wall because the song was considered 'too dark'.

Of course someone on the internet created what could've been

Seems pretty good. I couldn’t even remember Sam Smith’s song. Dreck.

Boredfrom

« Reply #39702 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:13 PM »
Watched Dune. Was really cool. Hope for the part 2 or even Mesiah. To bad they skipped some explanations like
the Mentat, how integrated the spice actually is and Shields Nuclear explosions.
[close]

I bet you a lot of people are going to bitch about “why they are fighting with swords? You have lasers!”.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39703 on: October 24, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »
vhs 94.   I had fun.  The first skit one was the best of the bunch though. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39704 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »
vhs 94.   I had fun.  The first skit one was the best of the bunch though. 

Hail Ratma!
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39705 on: October 25, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
Eternals getting a lot of mediocre reviews.

Already called the most dissapointing Marvel film by some critics, yikes.
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #39706 on: October 25, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »
Doubt it can be worse than Captain Marvel. That movie was the last straw in Joker-fying me against the MCU.

(I'd been following and loving those filmmakers' previous Sundance-y movies for nearly 15 years and still can't understand how they shit something so bland and corny out.)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39707 on: October 25, 2021, 08:45:56 PM »
Doubt it can be worse than Captain Marvel. That movie was the last straw in Joker-fying me against the MCU.

(I'd been following and loving those filmmakers' previous Sundance-y movies for nearly 15 years and still can't understand how they shit something so bland and corny out.)
I mean, what can you really do with the biggest Mary Sue in the whole MCU?
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39708 on: October 25, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »
Should have made Nomadland 2 instead

Bebpo

« Reply #39709 on: October 25, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »
Haven't read the reviews, but I wonder if it's arty like Nomadland and that turns off people who want dumb popcorn flick.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39710 on: October 26, 2021, 12:03:45 AM »
The scale of Eternals is unlike anything we've seen to date in the MCU, but it also ends up in a movie that just has too much on its plate.

Worth seeing just to experience the bizarre narrative corners IP-driven filmmaking and mindless synergy have painted these filmmakers into.

Feels a bit like homework: If you don't want the rest of the class to move on without you, it's mandatory; but in the end, you'll just be glad to turn it in and move along to the next thing.

A mishmash of well-meaning, yet jarringly verbose and bafflingly incoherent nonsense which is only just about saved by some half decent performances.

Eternals is Marvel's Suicide Squad... but with a slightly better ending.

Those were positive Eternals reviews

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #39711 on: October 26, 2021, 08:36:59 AM »
To bad they skipped some explanations like
the Mentat, how integrated the spice actually is and Shields Nuclear explosions.
[close]

Feyd-Rautha also wasn't in the movie. Not sure if I like how they split the story up. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the second one ever releases.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39712 on: October 26, 2021, 10:17:25 AM »
The scale of Eternals is unlike anything we've seen to date in the MCU, but it also ends up in a movie that just has too much on its plate.

Worth seeing just to experience the bizarre narrative corners IP-driven filmmaking and mindless synergy have painted these filmmakers into.

Feels a bit like homework: If you don't want the rest of the class to move on without you, it's mandatory; but in the end, you'll just be glad to turn it in and move along to the next thing.

A mishmash of well-meaning, yet jarringly verbose and bafflingly incoherent nonsense which is only just about saved by some half decent performances.

Eternals is Marvel's Suicide Squad... but with a slightly better ending.

Those were positive Eternals reviews

Only 71% on RT. Certified dud! :biden
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39713 on: October 26, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »
DC Fan: "First time?" epic meme hit send
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39714 on: October 26, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »
DUNC PART 2 IS HAPPENING :rejoice :drudge

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1453058884516466691

https://twitter.com/RealChalamet/status/1453059611142000641

“Denis Villeneuve has crafted a film that is both visually extraordinary and emotionally transporting, as evidenced by its global success both critically and at the box office. We are thrilled to continue on this journey with Denis and his cast and crew, and our partners at Legendary, and can’t wait to bring the next chapter of this epic tale to theaters in
October 2023.”
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:12:57 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39715 on: October 26, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Jason Momoa seeing the franchise take off in cinemas: “I’mma bout to EAT”.  :money

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #39716 on: October 26, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
so sad we arent getting a sequel

Rahxephon91

« Reply #39717 on: October 26, 2021, 03:14:44 PM »
That’s good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39718 on: October 26, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »
2 years is brutal, especially with how unsatisfying this ending was.
That's why you shoot these types of trilogies in a batch.

Still better than to be left hanging.
I'd sacrifice this, for a sequel to Alita tho.  :doge
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39719 on: October 26, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »
2 years is brutal, especially with how unsatisfying this ending was.
That's why you shoot these types of trilogies in a batch.

Still better than to be left hanging.
I'd sacrifice this, for a sequel to Alita tho.  :doge
[close]
I recently watched Alita, that could also use a sequel. Although it is less open ended than this.
🤴