Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170758 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #39420 on: August 30, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »
Who's a big name nowadays, aside from Sion Sono perhaps? I mean genuine question, i can't really come up with much.

Seems like most of the big movies coming out of Japan recently are animated.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39421 on: August 30, 2021, 09:49:21 PM »
The Equalizer -- late to the party, its good

Quaker

« Reply #39422 on: August 31, 2021, 04:06:34 AM »
Diao Yinan's latest was pretty great (Wild Goose Lake).
Some like Johnnie to even made a decent transition from Hong Kong to mainland, even though he basically retired in the last decade (from what his crazy output was anyway).
Creative hindrance is undeniable, though personally i think i still like Chinese cinema, as a whole, more than any other East Asian country, just going off the top of my head.
It's a shame they don't have the international appeal of Korean cinema, as they usually aren't as flashy.

Also to be honest i don't see Japanese cinema in an amazing position atm, considering their past, but i also haven't been following it that closely.
Who's a big name nowadays, aside from Sion Sono perhaps? I mean genuine question, i can't really come up with much.
Yeah, Wild Goose Lake was great and surprisingly graphic for a Chinese movie.

There's a few guys still doing good work out of Japan but they're mostly working around melancholy melodramas.

Hirokazu Kore-eda's the biggest one right now. Shoplifters got a lot of attention before it got eclipsed by Parasite the year after. Unfortunately he did an English language movie last year which just came and went and wasn't up to the quality of his Japanese work.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa started off doing J-Horror 20 years ago but he's pivoted over to more slightly off-beat personal dramas. As a mopey bitch, To the Ends of the Earth was one my favorite movies from last year. It's just this slow melodrama about a meek, lonely Japanese TV presenter having an existential crisis in Uzbekistan.

Ryusuke Hamaguchi is up and coming in the same vein. He adapted a Haruki Murakami short story and won the Cannes prize for best screenplay last month. I just watched his previous movie (Asako I & II) the other night and thought it was a really good quiet relationship drama.

They obviously have limited appeal but as I get older I don't think I have have the same appetite for the kind of stuff that was coming out of Japan 20 years ago. I think Korea has been picking up the slack anyways.

That being said, Takashi Miike had a yakuza/boxer movie a year or two ago(First Love) that was kind of fun and not as edgelord as I remember his work being. Looks like he's been mostly working on live action adaptations of manga/videogames(JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Phoenix Wright..) recently?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 12:40:25 PM by Quaker »

Tasty

« Reply #39423 on: August 31, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »
Hong Kong cinema used to be awesome. :'(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39424 on: August 31, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Candyman (2021)

Slick and stylish reboot/sequel that's mostly faithful to the mythology and message of the original. I enjoyed it.

other stuff I watched last weekend

The Last Matinee - South American homage to Italian Giallos and American Slashers of the 70's & 80's and an ode to cinema in general. Takes a bit too long to get going, but it's okay.

The Old Ways - A demonic possession film set in Mexico, about a Mexican-American journalist that gets kidnapped by a bruja who believes that she's possessed by a demon. Pretty good; a little silly at times though, although what demon possession movie isn't?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #39425 on: August 31, 2021, 12:29:47 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #39426 on: August 31, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
looks fantastic. im not a hard sell on bond films, and i rate craigs entries pretty highly aside from spectre (which is still p good). the global conspiracy underground network infiltrating every aspect of society global surveillance illuminati is a little tired, at least the way they portrayed it in spectre; especially blofelds base, just a big wtf for me, a camp throwback that felt tacky and awkward instead of fun, and then throwing in their backstory. i felt a lot of dissonance with the narrative throughout that part of the film. still solid, but i hope fukunaga manages to top off craigs great run with a true banger, and not something so timid and corny
◕‿◕

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39427 on: August 31, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »

An actress from that movie Zhao Wei just recently had all her Chinese net presence removed and all her credits have been deleted and shows she starred in have been pulled.

Tasty

« Reply #39428 on: August 31, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »

An actress from that movie Zhao Wei just recently had all her Chinese net presence removed and all her credits have been deleted and shows she starred in have been pulled.

Yup my posting that story is what started this discussion. :P

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39429 on: August 31, 2021, 08:26:13 PM »

Fight Back to School! :rejoice
dog

Tasty

« Reply #39430 on: August 31, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »
:ohhh

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39431 on: August 31, 2021, 08:45:13 PM »

Yup my posting that story is what started this discussion. :P

I thought there was a chance but i'm too lazy to read.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39432 on: August 31, 2021, 09:10:00 PM »
commie cinema :rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39433 on: August 31, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
Funny you should post Shaolin Soccer, an actress from that movie Zhao Wei just recently had all her Chinese net presence removed.

Tasty

« Reply #39434 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »
Funny you should post Shaolin Soccer, an actress from that movie Zhao Wei just recently had all her Chinese net presence removed.

O rly?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39435 on: August 31, 2021, 11:06:48 PM »
never hear of her  :)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39436 on: September 01, 2021, 06:11:59 PM »
never hear of her  :)

She's an actress who was in Shaolin Soccer.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39437 on: September 01, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Bebpo

« Reply #39439 on: September 03, 2021, 04:35:12 AM »
Finally watched Blindspotting, was really good and lived up to the hype. Didn't expect it to be so well directed, but it's really stylish and and nicely directed on top of great performances and a good script/soundtrack. Been hearing about the movie more lately since the TV sequel is being so well received, will have to check that out.

Tasty

« Reply #39440 on: September 03, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39441 on: September 03, 2021, 01:18:24 PM »
Blindspotting was so much better than I expected, it’s a movie with so much heart and a great dynamic between the leads.  I need to get around to checking out the show.

Bebpo

« Reply #39443 on: September 03, 2021, 06:06:10 PM »
Hopefluly it'll be good.

But like every early press screening of a movie is just non-stop gushing and then the movie comes out and it's like 39% RT and not very good. Just like videogame previews. I don't bother reading any impressions until a few days before release when the majority of the reviews are up.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39444 on: September 04, 2021, 02:49:02 AM »
I get that the cinema experience is great and all, but it annoys the hell out of me when directors get so obsessed with it.
Obviously you shouldn't watch a movie on your phone  (before you post that Lynch video  :doge) but it's kind of dumb to obsess over an experience only a tiny fraction of your audience will even be able to experience (because most people can't get to a cinema, let alone one that is up to Denis' imaginary quality standards).

Not to mention that when i went to see Blade Runner 2049 to what was considered (at the time) one of the best theaters in Europe (had to drive up to Milan) i had a shitty experience with that dumbass IMAX format and those dumbass 3d glasses.

And ultimately, if i were to list my top 20 films, likely not even one i've seen in a cinema, so yes, if a movie is great it'll stand up on its own even on a decent Home Theater scenario.

Again, not saying going to the cinema has NO impact, but the obsession is dumb.

And it's even worse when i have to hear about the magic of going to the theater from journalists who're invited to festivals for their job, playing elitist with people who choose to watch a movie home: Good for you bud, most of us don't have access to that kind of shit, most theaters around the planet are old shitty ones, that can barely compete with an old ass tv from 15 years ago, let alone some recent consumer grade OLED.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39445 on: September 04, 2021, 02:58:45 AM »
After I saw that Lynch video I went and watched Spartacus on my 5.8" s10e. Fuck him.

Tasty

« Reply #39446 on: September 04, 2021, 05:11:03 AM »
After I saw that Lynch video I went and watched Spartacus on my 5.8" s10e. Fuck him.

You cheated not only the film, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You watched on a phone and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow viewing. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Bebpo

« Reply #39447 on: September 05, 2021, 01:34:33 AM »
The Paper Tigers was ok. It was a fun concept and the lead guy was great, but it played it a little too straight and serious and not as funny as it could be. Was enjoyable, but I wanted a better movie out of the concept.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39448 on: September 05, 2021, 01:41:28 AM »
Shanghai Legend of the Seven Chaos Emeralds was liquid dogshit. Holy fuck what a waste of time
fat

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39449 on: September 05, 2021, 02:06:15 AM »
Shanghai Legend of the Seven Chaos Emeralds was liquid dogshit. Holy fuck what a waste of time

RT is 92%, audience score 98%

Was it worse than Captain Marvel?

I don't know who to believe anymore. Even Mark Kermode said it was good  :-\

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39450 on: September 05, 2021, 02:13:14 AM »
Marvel simps, this movie was a chore and a bore
fat

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39451 on: September 05, 2021, 02:41:57 AM »
Thank you for your service

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39452 on: September 05, 2021, 03:32:59 AM »
Sounds like white people feeling guilty about dumping on a "POC" movie so they have given good scores. Trailers looked shit. I'll be waiting for Disney+ free version.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39453 on: September 05, 2021, 04:28:04 AM »
Some of the action sequences in the trailer look alright, but it's marvel shit, so i'm assuming it's coated with shitty humor, annoying nods and cameos and boring lore dumps.
Hong Kong (and several SEA countries) have perfected martial arts movies to a degree, anyway, that i doubt this'll have anything significant to offer on that front.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39454 on: September 07, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
I broke my 6 week streak of seeing a new release theatrical movie because fuck Marvel, so this week's kino of the week was Tenebrae (1982). An excellent giallo from the master, Dario Argento. I'm still pretty new to the genre, but I'm trying to add them to my knowledge base. I've heard people say this is is one of his best, but I still like Deep Red better. 8/10

other stuff I watched this weekend

Underwater (2020) - A soggy Alien knock-off featuring Kristen Stewart with a platinum blonde buzzcut (described by another character as a "beautiful flat-chested elven creature), Cthluhu, and not much else so unless those two things appeal to you, avoid. 11/10

Bloody Moon (1981) - A joyless giallo/slasher from Jess Franco that just staggers from one murder to the next, which some really dumb people in really dumb scenes in between. Was once in banned in Britian as a "Video Nasty" and even on the Blu-Ray a few seconds of violence were obviously trimmed out of the original German prints and then only spliced back in later from a low quality workprint (a few seconds of a women getting decapitated by a buzzsaw and a guy getting a pen stabbed through the neck), but honestly Britian wasn't missing much. 1/10

Tremors (1990) - Kevin Bacon's finest hour. 10/10

House on Haunted Hill/13 Ghosts (1999/2001) - Look, I'm not saying it's time for a critical reappraisal of this duology of William Castle remakes....but I'm not not saying it. Both of these movies were critically roasted, but did they really deserve that much scorn? They're basically R-rated Scooby Doo episodes with amazing production value and set design; yeah they're ridiculous but so were the originals. House is imho the better of the pair, with Geoffrey Rush as the theme park tycoon, Famke Janssen as his unloving wife, and some decent performances by Jeffery Combs, Taye Diggs, and Peter Gallagher. And Chris Kattan is it for some reason. But the star is the crumbling Art Deco sanitarium, it was such a cool set. Decent scares, decent kills, I have a lot of fondness for this movie. 7/10

13 Ghosts is significantly the weaker of the two, but I still have a little bit of nostalgia for this movie too. The Scooby Doo factor is cranked up to 11 this time. Although that's part of the problem, because much of the movie is forced to be carried by the acting chops of Shaggy himself Mathew Lillard and also Rah Digga who's not exactly an actor. (At least Shannon Elizabeth's screen time was limited.) But even Tony Shalhoub wasn't great in this movie, he just was just kinda confused and yelled a lot. Like HOHH though, the star is the house, this time a crazy-ass glass house covered with Latin ghost containment spells and ghost traps. There's a lot of weird mechanisms, and sliding walls, and spinning shit that doesn't make any sense because it's magic. I actually expected to like 13 Ghosts more than I did upon rewatching it, it does get tedious and repetitive by the end. They just keep running down identical glass hallways for an hour while one ghost after another pops out to scare them. Some of the ghost designs were cool, some were less cool. I at least give them props for going with mostly traditional makeup effects. The lawyer getting bisected was still a great kill. 4/10
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:55:39 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39455 on: September 07, 2021, 01:19:21 PM »
rah digga was amazing. needed to be in more movies tbh

Tasty

« Reply #39456 on: September 07, 2021, 11:14:12 PM »
House on Haunted Hill was my first R rated horror film and I have a ton of nostalgia for it. Hardcore stanned the sequel even though it's pretty shit, even compared to the first.

Tasty

« Reply #39457 on: September 08, 2021, 02:21:46 PM »

Chrissy 😭

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #39458 on: September 08, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
I liked Shang Chi.  One question though mid credit scene spoiler ahead

spoiler (click to show/hide)
So smart hulk is gone already?  Wonder if that means we’ll get an actual hulk movie in phase 4 or beyond
[close]

BadAss2961

« Reply #39459 on: September 09, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »
Matrix trailer has that modern digital Hollywood sheen. Sterile CGI view from the first frame. Color grading is off.

The identity of the old films is gone in favor of something that looks more like everything else right now visually.

Tasty

« Reply #39460 on: September 09, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
Matrix trailer has that modern digital Hollywood sheen. Sterile CGI view from the first frame. Color grading is off.

The identity of the old films is gone in favor of something that looks more like everything else right now visually.

I do, and will, miss Bill Pope. He's caught in the MCU web now with Shang-Chi and Ant-Man 3. :'(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39461 on: September 09, 2021, 03:30:37 PM »
Some scenes looked visually striking though

🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39462 on: September 09, 2021, 03:57:32 PM »

I didn't like the super green of the sequels already, the first film was a bit more nuanced in that sense.
I don't mind the look of the trailer though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39463 on: September 09, 2021, 04:08:02 PM »
They've gone and changed up the film a few times.

Matrix 1 didn't have the greenish look on the first DVD release but they 'remastered' it to make it more in line with Matrix 2 and 3.
They used that same color grading for the Blu-Ray release.

But for the 4K HDR remaster they went back and used the original 35mm film and had Bill Pope touch it up, which adds some film grain but makes the colors absolutely perfect.

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #39464 on: September 09, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
Yeah the 4K remaster of Matrix 1 was a pretty big deal. Finally got it looking the way it's supposed to, no George Lucas special edition BS.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #39465 on: September 09, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »
Nothing in that Matrix trailer clicked with me. Makes me sad  :( :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39466 on: September 10, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »
Shang Chi was pretty good.  Best Marvel origin movie in a while. 

Bebpo

« Reply #39468 on: September 10, 2021, 12:59:42 AM »
Matrix trailer looked cool enough, but yeah no Fishburne is weird.

Tasty

« Reply #39469 on: September 10, 2021, 02:15:27 AM »
Andrew Garfield:

But it’s important for me to say on the record that this is not something I’m aware I am involved in.

Also Andrew Garfield:

"So you have Spider-Blood?"
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39470 on: September 10, 2021, 03:34:59 AM »
Couldn't that just be old test footage?

Tasty

« Reply #39471 on: September 10, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
Couldn't that just be old test footage?

It corresponds to other much granier leaked pics and footage of this same scene from other angles which Sony has been taking down as quickly as they find it.

Also, internet detectives have determined he looks older here and his hair is different from both movies he was in (although the leak showing the awesome TASM2 suit instead of the first one narrows the possibilities.)
[close]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:11:50 AM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #39472 on: September 10, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »
Also you can see maybe-Tobey's spider-hands in the left of the frame. If this is actually old TASM2 dailies or something, could be a stunt double? But I think it's more likely these leaks are real.
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39473 on: September 10, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
I try to take people at their word, but I also remember when David Jaffe lied (repeatedly) about there not being a new Twisted Metal game so they could do a surprise reveal at E3 and his defence was that it was for the sake of the audience because people like surprises. I like surprises but I don't like liars either.

Tasty

« Reply #39474 on: September 10, 2021, 12:32:26 PM »
I try to take people at their word, but I also remember when David Jaffe lied (repeatedly) about there not being a new Twisted Metal game so they could do a surprise reveal at E3 and his defence was that it was for the sake of the audience because people like surprises. I like surprises but I don't like liars either.

To be fair to Garfield, his two answers so far have really tried hard to skirt around the question and undermine his own answer. As he said:

But I know I’m not going to be able to say anything that will convince anyone that I don’t know what’s happening. No matter what I say, I’m fucked. It’s either going to be really disappointing for people or it’s going to be really exciting.

The fact he ends his answer with this implies to me his overall denial is something Disney/Sony will legally enforce if he breaks NDA.

Guess we'll see!

Sman

« Reply #39475 on: September 10, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
Nothing in that Matrix trailer clicked with me. Makes me sad  :( :(

You and me, dude. I was left scratching my head watching the trailer:

"So... they got some of the same actors, just much older, yet this looks like a reboot... Why bother?"

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39476 on: September 10, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »
I genuinely don't get why you guys care about a 2 seconds cameo of a character from a better film? Is it really that satisfying to just see the guy pop on screen and say a line, before he disappears?

Tasty

« Reply #39477 on: September 10, 2021, 01:47:28 PM »
I genuinely don't get why you guys care about a 2 seconds cameo of a character from a better film? Is it really that satisfying to just see the guy pop on screen and say a line, before he disappears?

Yup. Not so much Andrew, although I do love the TASM2 suit and him as an actor in general.

I am nuclear-level hyped for any appearance of Tobey in his suit. I never thought it would happen again.

Back when Sony was building out their ASM cinematic universe I considered for a second the possibility of a Spider-Verse like teamup with Tobey and Andrew, but I quickly wrote it off as "never gonna happen, ever, ever."

And now it might be happening. Yes, I'm excited. Spider-Man 2 is in my personal top three, alongside Perfect Blue and The Blair Witch Project.

Tasty

« Reply #39478 on: September 10, 2021, 01:53:08 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39479 on: September 10, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »
I don't care that's why it's disheartening if Garfield is being forced to lie about it so a couple of naive mouth-breathers can be surprised for 2 seconds